Bates County Biographies


 

EAKIN, D.F.
Osage Township - D.F. Eakin, physician and surgeon, is a native of Ohio and was born in Carroll County, June 21, 1830. His parents, David and Margaret (Cross) Eakin, were from Pennsylvania. D.F. was brought up in the county of his birth where he received his literary education. In 1854 he began the study of medicine with his brother, Dr. T.C. Eakin, of Waynesburg, Stark County, Ohio, and later attended the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which institution he was graduated in 1858. He began his practice in Carroll County, Ohio, and in the spring of 1859 went to Colorado and in the fall of the same year returned to Iowa, locating in Glenwood. There he was engaged in the practice of his profession, until 1871. In 1862 he was appointed assistant surgeon of the Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry and remained on duty until February, 1864, having had charge of the regiment for eight months. In 1871 he located in Beloit, Kansas, and practiced there till September, 1882, when he came to Rich Hill. He was also for many years occupied in the drug business, previous to coming to this city. Dr. Eakin was married in October, 1854, to Miss Amanda J. Brothers, of Carroll County, Ohio, by whom he has five children: Frank E., James D., Carrie M., Willie E., and Carl D. The doctor and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EDWARDS, David C., Judge
Grand River Township - Judge David C. Edwards, farmer, stock dealer and merchant, Altona, was born in Jackson County, Missouri, December 18, 1838. His parents were Hiram and Jane (Swift) Edwards, the former a farmer by occupation and a native of Virginia. They came to Bates County when David was but four months old. He was reared on a farm and remained with his father until twenty-three years of age, when he enlisted in Company F, Sixteenth Missouri, in Parsons' brigade, and was orderly sergeant of the company. He participated in the battles of Lone Jack, Pleasant Hill, Mansfield, Little Rock and Helena. In the winter of 1863 he was confined in the hospital at Little Rock. He surrendered at Shrevesport on June 8, 1865, and returning to Bates he resumed farming, to which he has adhered to the present time. Judge Edwards is one of the most extensive real estate owners of the county, his home farm consisting of 500 acres of improved land, well fenced and stocked, with good buildings. He has 260 acres of timber land in the county, and owns a farm of about 100 acres near Clinton, Henry County. In addition he is the owner of a general merchandise store at Altona. In 1874 he was elected a justice of the county court, in which position he remained for five years. He is a member of Altona lodge of the A.F. and A.M. and of the chapter at Butler, as well as the Gouley Commandery at Butler. He also belongs to the Patrons of Husbandry, recognizing in that order the means of supplying a want long felt among the farming community. On January 4, 1866, he was married to Miss Bethias Sharp, daughter of John F. Sharp, one of the early pioneers of Henry County. She is a native of Henry County, and was born January 4, 1837. They have four children: Sarah Jane, Harriet E., David and Bethias. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EDWARDS, J.P.
Mt. Pleasant Township - J.P. Edwards, farmer and cattle feeder, section 15, is the owner of a landed estate which consists of 650 acres, improved and well watered. He is a native of Nashville, Tennessee, where he was born in 1838. With his parents he moved to St. Charles County, Missouri, in 1844, and when fourteen years old to Sheridan County, Missouri, where he grew up and was educated. He has spent many years in Colorado and New Mexico, and at one time was largely interested in the cattle trade in Southern California. He was married January 14, 1869, to Miss Anna L. Hines, a native of Sheridan County, Missouri, born in 1844. Their family consists of six children: Lola, Lelia, Louna L., Elmer and Claude. Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are both members of the Christian Church. The former began life poor, but by his industry, godo management and economy has secured an excellent property and has prospered. He settled at his present location in 1871. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EICHLER, Lewis C.
Mound Township - Lewis C. Eichler was born in St. Charles County, Missouri, December 27, 1836. George and Margaret (Weems) Eichler, his parents, who were natives of Germany, were married in Baltimore in 1832. While Lewis was young the family came to Lafayette County, where he lived till 1856, then settling in Bates County, where he purchased his tract of land. After stopping here for four years he returned to Lafayette County, and at the outbreak of the civil war served in Claib. Jackson's State Guard for several months. In August, 1862, he enlisted at Fayetteville, Arkansas, in General Price's Division, under Parsons, and participated in the fights at Lone Jack, Drywood, Prairie Grove, Cane Hill, and Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, and when the end came he surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana. Mr. Eichler was married, May 18, 1876, to Miss Sarah J. Early, daughter of John Early, of Lafayette County. They have two children, Lucy Lee and George Harry. In 1880, Mr. Eichler returned to Bates County, and has since endeavored to improve his farm. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

ELDRIDGE, William W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - William W. Eldridge, builder and contractor, was born in New London, Connecticut, in 1831. His parents were Peter and Mary Mariah (Ingham) Eldridge, the former of England and the latter a native of Connecticut. Peter Eldridge moved to near Cleveland, Ohio, in 1836, and there bought and improved a farm. William received a good practical education in Cleveland and learned the carpenters' trade, and wehn twenty-two years old he went to Fayette County, Iowa, where he commenced contracting and building. He married Miss Elizabeth Ann Smith, daughter of Daniel B. and Maria (Simmonds) Smith, of Fayette County, in 1857. They have by this union four children living: Frank M., Charles E., Edna A. and Sarah E. They have lost two. Ernest b., died in 1877, aged fifteen, and Willie died in 1860, aged three years. Mr. E. commenced life poor but has always been very industrious and has been equally successful financially. He did much in building up West Union until 1870 when he came to Missouri and settled in Butler, at that time a small town. He has been one of the principal builders here, erecting many of the finest structures in this city and also in Rich Hill. He is among our best mechanics and does his own drafting and makes his own plans. He is a Republican in politics and belongs to the Masonic order and is a Knight Templar. He has a partner in business, W.P. Dean, the firm name being Eldridge & Dean. Mr. Dean has charge of the work at Rich Hill. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

ELLEDGE, William
Lone Oak Township - William Elledge is the eldest of a family of twelve children, and was born in Clark County, Illinois, September 20, 1839, his parents, A.G. and Ruth M. (Craig) Elledge, being natives of Morgan County, Kentucky. They were married March 4, 1838, in Clark County, Illinois, where the families had lived for several years. In 1853, they located in Scotland County, Missouri, and after remaining there three years, came to Bates County in 1856. William's father entered a tract of 340 acres in Lone Oak Township, and lived upon it until the outbreak of the war, when for several years the family ties were sundered. His father and two brothers, Nelson and Marcus D., espoused the Confederate cause, and he entered the Union service, enlisting in the Ninth Kansas Cavalry, under Colonel Lind, at Iola, Kansas. He was engaged on the border of Missouri and Kansas and Arkansas, and was discharged at Duvall's Bluff, Arkansas, in July, 1865. The senior Elledge entered Colonel Peyton's regiment and was attached to General Rain's division, and participated in the battles of Drywood, Prairie Grove, Hartville, and all of the engagements in Missouri, until the fall of 1863. One son, Nelson, was killed at Stockton, Missouri, July 11, 1863. Mr. Elledge was married May 3, 1860, to Miss Frances Dye, a native of Tippecanoe County, Indiana. They have a very interesting family. He is now living near his father, and is one of the best farmers of his section of the county. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

ELLIOTT, W.R.
Charlotte Township - W.R. Elliott, farmer, section 6, came originally from Bourbon County, Kentucky, where he was born, September 24, 1829. His parents, Joseph and Eliza C. Elliott, were both Kentuckians by birth, and both died in Indiana. He was brought up and educated in the vicinity of Bourbon County, and in 1854 went to Linn County, Iowa, and was occupied in the brick business until 1856. Going to Omaha, Nebraska, he followed the same calling, and in 1858 he removed to Topeka, Kansas, and for many years freighted from Leavenworth to Denver. In 1879 he came from Topeka, where he had been interested in keeping a hotel, to his present location. Mr. Elliott was married in February, 1864, to Miss Mary Beaty, who was born November 4, 1835. They have one child, Edwin. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EMBREE, John M.
Shawnee Township - John M. Embree, farmer, was born in Clark County, Kentucky, September 19, 1833, and was the son of Tarleton Embree, whose father, John Embree, was a revolutionary soldier. His mother's maiden name was Martha Vivian, both also natives of Kentucky. John, the eldest of five children, was reared on a farm and was educated in the country schools. In 1856 he came west, and for three years was engaged in freighting from Leavenworth to Salt Lake, Denver and Santa Fe. His father had settled in Johnson County, Missouri, and in 1858 J.M. commenced farming with him, continuing unitl the outbreak of the war, when he served in the Missouri State Militia for about four months. He then entered the regular Confederate service under General Price and remained until the close of the war, surrendering at Shreveport June 15, 1865. He participated in numerous engagements, and was wagon and forage master for some time. Returning to Missouri, he resumed agricultural pursuits in Pettis County, and on the 16th of February, 1866, was married to Miss Mary Hull, a native of Virginia. In 1872 they came to Bates County, and here he has been farming since. His farm, containing eighty acres, lies in section 35, and is well improved and in a fine state of cultivation. Mr. Embree is a member of the Masonic order and also of the Patrons of Husbandry. They have lost one child, Peache, who died when about nine months old. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EVERINGHAM, J. - M.D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - J. Everingham, prominent among the medical practitioners of Bates County, was born in Oxbridge, Middlesex County, England, April 7, 1831, and is the son of Thomas and Mary (East) Everingham. In 1840 the family emigrated to the United States and settled in Lee County, Iowa. His primary education was received in his native country and Iowa, and he was for a time employed as a clerk in a store. When eighteen years of age he went to Fort Madison, Iowa, where he served two years at the printer's trade. He also learned telegraphy, but followed it only a short period, having already formed a desire for the practice of medicine, and at the same time was diligently prosecuting his studies and preparing himself for the active duties of his chosen profession. He completed his studies with Dr. John Major, of McComb, McDonough County, Illinois, and attended lectures at the Eclectic College of Cincinnati, from which institution he was graduated in June, 1854. He commenced active practice in West Point, Lee County, Iowa, and supplemented his knowledge of medicine by attending the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia, receiving a diploma from that institution in the spring of 1857. In the fall of 1858 he visited London, England, and availed himself of the opportunities offered in the hospitals of that city for still better qualifying himself for his profession. In 1859 he returned to his adopted country and resumed the practice of medicine in West Point, and continued the same until 1862, when he was appointed assistant surgeon of the Seventh Iowa Infantry. The first year he was on detached service, and was present at many important battles. September 13, 1863, he was commissioned surgeon of the regiment, and remained therein until July 12, 1865. He participated in the Atlanta campaign, and was with Sherman in his march to the sea. After being mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, he returned to his home with his health much impaired, and he has since been more or less a sufferer from disease contracted in the service of his country. After practicing in West Point until 1873, Dr. E. came to Bates County, and settled in Butler, where he has since been closely identified with the interests of the city. In educational matters he has taken an active interest. The Butler Academy finds in him a warm friend, nad also as a director a wise counsellor and an efficient clerk. He is also a stockholder in the Electric Light Company. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being a Royal Arch Mason and a Knight Templar. He also belongs to the I.O.O.F. The Doctor was married in the autumn of 1859, to Miss Mary R. Steele, a native of West Point, Lee County, Iowa, and a daughter of William and Nancy (Jones) Steele, natives of Kentucky. Their family consists of two children living, Luella and Edith. They have buried two. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)

EWIN, Charles S.
Deepwater Township - Charles S. Ewin, section 34, is a native of Missouri and was born in Howard County October 1, 1850. He is the son of W.D. and Abigail H. (Bridges) Ewin, both of whom were born in Howard County, the former on April 13, 1819. Charles S. divided his youth between working on a farm and attending the common schools. When seventeen years old he commenced to learn the blacksmith trade. In the fall of 1874 he moved to Appleton City and worked at his trade there for some six years, after which he was engaged in the grocery business for about one year. He came to his present farm in December, 1881, and now owns 140 acres of land, with 120 fenced and in cultivation and a young orchard. Besides carrying on his farming operations, Mr. Ewin has a shop and works to some extent at his trade. He was married here, December 17, 1874, to Miss Alice A. Newberry, a daughter of Hon. John B. Newberry. She is also a native of Missouri and was born in Bates County. They have one child, Everett N., who was born June 9, 1878. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
 

HOME