Bates County Biographies
Mingo Township - J.B. Lakey, farmer, section 28, was born January 3, 1847, in Howard County, Missouri. His father, J.J. Lakey, a farmer and blacksmith by occupation, was a native of Tennessee. His mother, formerly Elizabeth Stopp, was a Kentuckian by birth. J.B. was the sixth child of a family of eight. When one year old he accompanied his parents to Bates County, Missouri, where he was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. When twenty-one years old he engaged in farming in his adopted county. His farm now contains sixty-three acres, improved and well adapted to the raising of wheat, corn and oats. Mr. L. has been constable of his township for a number of years. March 7, 1872, he married Miss Polly Ann Gragg, of Missouri. They are members of the Christian Church. They have four children living: Clarine B., Minnie A., Albert B. and Lula L. They have lost two, Rosa A. and Ira I. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LAMB, Alexander H.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Alexander H. Lamb was born in Butler County, Ohio, November 4, 1836. His father, William Lamb was born in Randolph County, North Carolina, in 1806, and was married to Miss Jane Wilson, a native of Butler County, Ohio. She was a very large woman, weighing 320 pounds, and six feet four inches in height. She was an early settler at Fort Hamilton. In 1858, William Lamb removed to Kansas and settled in that state. The subject of this sketch attended school until sixteen years of age, when he learned the painter's trade, which has been his chosen calling in life. In 1855 he went to Kansas, and located at Big Springs, between Lawrence and Topeka, on the old Santa Fe trail, where he made a claim and improved a farm. In 1856 he embarked in the dry goods business with a team, supplying those in the vicinity of Kansas City with this merchandise. When the border warfare continued to increase in fury he experienced many annoyances, and finally lost his outfit, and in fact all his possessions, and to defend his own life and the lives of his family, he joined the free state forces. He happened to be at Ossawatomie the night of the trouble with John Brown, and participated in that battle. He was with General Jim Lane through the troubles in Kansas, and took part in many battles which followed. In May, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Second Kansas Infantry, and was at Wilson's Creek, where he received a wound and he was within a few feet of General Lyon, when he fell mortally wounded. In 1862, he was detailed as a scout and continued that perilous duty until the close of the war. A history of what he saw and passed through would make an interesting volume. He organized a company of eleven resolute men in 1862 to act with him, and at the close of the service, three of them only were alive, and he was the only one perfectly well; one is a total wreck, and the third one had both his eyes shot out. After being mustered out in October, 1865, Mr. L. came to Missouri and settled in Butler, and found but one family in the city - that of Judge Pyle. He repaired an old house and moved into it, and has lived there since. He started the first paint shop in the town and has kept it since. In 1868 he was appointed postmaster by President Grant, and held the appointment for eight years. He married Miss Pauline Ledyard in Fort Smith, Arkansas, August, 1864. She died December 4, 1874, leaving four children: Lillie, Charles W., William, and Harvey W. For his second wife he married Miss Elna E. Grout. They have two children living: John and Archie; Harry died in infancy. Mr. Lamb lost all his stock and personal property by the guerillas during the war, and was in debt when he came to Butler. He first entered the employ of the stage company, running from Fort Scott to Pleasant Hill, established all the stations and supplied them, being successful in the management of this business. He acted as deputy sheriff of this county for two years. Politically, he is an active Republican. He belongs to the Masonic order, and also to the subordinate lodge and encampment of the Odd Fellows, and has passed the chairs of the encampment. Mr. Lamb has been faithful in the discharge of the varied duties entrusted to him, and is a man well thought of in this community. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LAMON, Isaac N.
Grand River Township - Isaac N. Lamon, farmer and blacksmith, was born in Washington County, Tennessee, September 14, 1838. His father, Emanuel Lamon, and his mother (formerly Teziah Hartzler) were also natives of the same state. Isaac is the second of five children. When he was but two years old his parents came to Missouri, and lived one year in Taney County, coming to what is now Bates County in 1840, where they located a claim in the present Deer Creek Township. Here he grew to manhood and attended the first school taught in the township in 1843, the teacher being Andrew Youree. In those days the trading was done at Pleasant Hill, and that was the nearest post office. At that time only ten families lived in Deer Creek Township. When about twenty-one years old, Mr. L. learned the trade of wagon making and blacksmithing. This he followed together with farming until 1863. He was married December 29, 1858, to Miss Liza J. Hatfield, a native of Morgan County, born February 7, 1842. He continued to reside for two years in Morgan County, toward the close of the war, and then worked at his trade in Johnson County two years, returning to Bates County in 1867, when he settled where he now lives, on section 29. Here he has a farm of 140 acres, and conducts his shop in connection. He still owns a farm of eighty acres in Deer Creek Township. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and also belongs to the Masonic order. Mr. and Mrs. L. have six children living: Henry T., Nancy E., William J., Theodore K., Hester A. and Martha L. They have lost three: Susan, James and Charity Fanny. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Lucius Lampkin, real estate, loan and insurance agent, is one of the leading men of this line in Rich Hill, having bought and sold property in the city since September, 1882. He is a native of Northumberland County, Virginia, and was born August 2, 1828. His paternal grandfather was a native of England, and his father, Charles Lampkin, was a Virginian by birth. His mother, formerly Elizabeth Kinner, was also born in Virginia, and her father, John Kinner, came originally from France. Lucius Lampkin was reared and educated in the county of his birth. When he was seventeen years of age he began to learn the trade of masonry and bricklaying, at which he worked nine year, when he embarked in the mercantile trade at Pikeville, Virginia. This he continued till 1857. Coming to Cooper County, Missouri, he resumed work at the trade till 1859, when he located on a farm in Pettis County. Until 1865, he was engaged in farming and in that year he went to Nebraska City, Nebraska, where he sold goods and dealt in grain. In 1872 he commenced the agency business, and in 1878 he moved to Buchanan County, Missouri, where he resided till he came to Rich Hill. Mr. L. is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. He was married in September, 1859, to Miss Charity A. Porter, a native of Missouri. She died in August, 1860. He was married again November 24, 1863, to Miss Sarah E. Porter, a sister of his first wife. She also departed this life in April, 1867, leaving one child, Ethelbert P., Mr. L. was married for the third time February 22, 1870, to Mrs. Mary J. Ewing, of Missouri. Her maiden name was Hurly. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LANE, James C.
Pleasant Gap Township - James C. Lane is a native of Clermont County, Ohio, was born October 23, 1831, and was the third son of Samuel and Elizabeth Lane, nee Dial, both of whom were born in that same county. James had six brothers and three sisters, all of whom are living except one brother. For four years he was a student at the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware and for thirteen years he was engaged in teaching. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted as a private in Company E, Thirty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and immediately joined his regiment at New Madrid. After serving for three years and six months he was regularly discharged at Bentonville, North Carolina, after which he returned to his home in Ohio. In March, 1869, he married Miss Mary Fagan, of Hamilton County, Ohio. In 1868 Mr. Lane came to Bates County, Missouri, and by hard work and economy has placed himself among the prominent farmers of the county. He has in all about 900 acres of valuable land, of which 510 acres are under fence and used for grazing purposes. His home farm contains 195 acres, and upon it is a good residence and an orchard of select fruit. Mr. and Mrs. Lane have four sons: Samuel F., John C., Clifford J. and George Garfield. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LANE, William J.
Howard Township - William J. Lane, druggist, was born in Oswego County, New York, July 21, 1854, his parents being John S. and Sarah R. Lane, nee Chapman. His father, a native of Onondaga County, New York, was born March 13, 1832, and when eighteen years of age ran away from home and shipped on a whaling vessel. After being gone about three years he returned to his home and was there married, his wife having been born in the same county as himself. In 1859 they settled in Valley Township, Linn County, Kansas, where the senior Lane was occupied in farming until 1861. Then he enlisted in Company D, 6th Regiment Kansas Volunteer Cavalry, and served on the border. At the close of the war he was mustered out as first-lieutenant. In 1867 he was elected a representative of Linn County, and in 1872 he purchased a large flouring mill, at LaCygne which he operated for four years. He was a representative citizen of LaCygne and prominent in the affairs of the place until his death, which occurred March 1, 1882. He left, beside a widow, three children to mourn his loss: William J., Clarence E. and Clara E. (twins). William J. Lane was principally raised and educated in Kansas, and commenced business for himself as a druggist. He was located for a time in LaCygne, Ottawa and Mound City, Kansas, and in August, 188, he came to Hume in the interest of E.W. Barttleson. Soon after he bought the stock and fixtures of the store, and has since been enjoying a liberal patronage. On December 21, 1881, Mr. Lane was married to Miss Mollie Highley, originally of Bates County, Missouri, but who was brought up and educated in Miami County, Kansas. Her parents were R.B. and Mary E. Highley, the former a native of Wythe County, and the latter of Smyth County, Virginia. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LANE, William P.
Prairie Township - William P. Lane, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Clermont County, Ohio, December 6, 1833. His parents were Samuel Lane, an extensive farmer of that county, and Elizabeth (Dial) Lane, of the same locality. William was the fourth son in the family. In 1862 he enlisted with his brother, J.C., in Company E, Thirty-Ninth Ohio Infantry, and was in service seven months and ten days, when he was discharged on account of disability. In 1870 he married Miss Lucy A. Whittaker, of Bates County, but a native of Cumberland, Maryland. They have three children living, two sons and one daughter: Charles Arthur, Emma E., and Frank Hayes. Mr. Lane now resides on section 8, where he owns 240 acres; he also owns forty acres in section 7, 100 acres in section 4, and has in his possession 200 acres in Barton County, Missouri. He devotes his time principally to farming but is also quite an extensive stock dealer. Politically he is a Republican. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LANGDON, J.N. & Co.
Osage Township - J.N. Langdon & Co. are among the popular grocerymen of Rich Hill, and worthy of a notice in the history of the town. J.N. Langdon, the senior partner of the firm, was born in Jefferson County, Virginia, August 8, 1843, his father having originally come from Pennsylvania. His mother was a Virginian by birth. J.N. was reared in his native county, where he learned the art of the woolen manufacturing business, which he thoroughly understands. In 1870 he came to Missouri, and located in Fulton, Callaway County, and was there engaged as a clerk in a store till the spring of 1882, when he came to Rich Hill and began in his present business. Mr. L. was married, January 8, 1878, to Miss Sallie W. Cason, a native of Callaway County, Missouri. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. William Capps, also a member of this establishment, was born in Fulton County, Illinois, July 22, 1837. He was brought up and educated on a farm in the county of his birth, and when about grown, or near the age of twenty years, having learned the carpenter's trade, he went to the Southern States and followed his trade, at different locations, till some time during the war, when he returned to Illinois. He enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Illinois, and remained in service till the close of the war, when he went back home. There he resided till September, 1882, when he came to Rich Hill and formed a partnership with Mr. Langdon. Mr. Capps was married in February, 1864, to Miss Clarissa V. Cochran, of Missouri. They have five children: Florence, Horace E., Willie, Arta and Lester. Mr. C. is a member of the I.O.O.F. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - N.B. Langsford, farmer and stock raiser, section 17, was born in Nelson County, Kentucky, in February, 1838, and was a son of Daniel and Rebecca (Stellard) Langsford, Kentuckians by birth. They had a family of seven children of whom N.B. is the oldest one living. He passed his boyhood days and received a good education in his native county, commencing life for himself as a farmer. This occupation he has since followed. In 1868 he was united in marriage to Miss Fanny Ray, one of Kentucky's fair daughters and a native of Marion County, she having been born in January, 1849. She is a graduate of Bardstown Seminary, of Kentucky. Her parents were Samuel T. and Margaret (McElroy) Ray. In 1870 Mr. L. came to his present home which was then unbroken and raw prairie. He now owns 200 acres of finely improved land and the entire estate and surroundings are the result of his own energy. Mr. and Mrs. Langsford have two children: Guy and Ray. Their only daughter, Anna, is deceased. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Pleasant Gap Township - David Laskey, merchant at Lone Oak, came originally from Poland, where he was born October 2, 1836, being the son of Jacob and Leah (Block) Laskey, who were also natives of Poland. David emigrated to the United States when a young man, and arrived in New York City in the early part of 1851. Early in 1852 he started for California by way of the Isthmus, arriving at his destination in March of that year. He was engaged in merchandising in the cities of Sacramento and Stockton for about four years, and then spent the years of 1856 and 1857 in traveling in the Sandwich Islands and in South America. In the first part of 1858 he returned to California, and shortly after went to British North America, where he followed merchandising in the mining districts about seven years. Early in 1866 he came back to New York and passed the summer in Philadelphia. In the fall of the same year he went to New Orleans and was in business there two years. In the spring of 1868 he came to Missouri and located at Pleasant Gap in Bates County, where he sold goods and farmed two years. In the spring of 1874 he came to Lone Oak and commenced his present business. He carries a good stock of general merchandise, and is enjoying a lucrative patronage. Mr. Laskey is identified with the Democratic party, and has filled the office of justice of the peace of his township for several terms. He was appointed post-master of Lone Oak, and has filled that office since 1875, and is serving his third term as notary public. He was married here in August, 1869, to Miss Ellen M. Ridge, a native of Bates County, and a daughter of James Ridge, one of the early settlers of the county. They have three children: Prudence Virginia May, born May 25, 1870; Monroe, born December 4, 1871; and Nova Scotia, born April 20, 1876. Mr. L. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LA TOURRETTE, Frank D.
Howard Township - Frank D. La Tourrette, manufacturer of harness and saddles, was born in Springfield, Illinois, August 4, 1859, and was the son of John La Tourrette who was born in 1830 in Ohio, and now residing at Buffalo, Illinois. He married Miss Nancy McCurdy, also a native of Ohio, born in 1837; she died in 1874, leaving a family of four children living: Frank D., Lincoln L., George and Peter. Two, William and Charles, are deceased. The subject of this sketch passed his youth and early manhood at his birth place and when fifteen years of age he began learning his present trade at Springfield which he followed there up to the time of his coming to Hume in May, 1881. Mr. La Tourrette was married November 10, 1881, to Miss Maggie Pierce, a Kentuckian by birth, born October 9, 1859. Her parents, Samuel and Ann (Johnson) Pierce, were also natives of Kentucky, but moved to Illinois in 1862 and to Kansas in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. La Tourrette have one child, John. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - J.M. Laughlin, capitalist, was born in DeWitt County, Illinois, December 26, 1837.His father, Thomas Laughlin, originally from South Carolina, was a practicing physician and surgeon, and came to Illinois, where he married Miss Nancy Lowry, who was born in Kentucky. J.M. is the eldest in the family of three children. His father died when the son was but five years old, and when he was about fifteen his mother removed to Iowa. His education was acquired in the public schools of Illinois and Iowa. When he was twenty years old he went to Nebraska and followed huckstering for two years, and then attended school again in Illinois. In 1860 he came to Missouri and was agent for the introduction of corn planters. He also taught school a short time, and in May, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Sixth Iowa Infantry, and served until July 18, 1864. He participated in some of the hardest fought battles of the whole war, and was at Vicksburg, Shiloh and Corinth. At Jackson, Mississippi, he was captured July 16, 1863, and was taken to Mobile, Atlanta and Richmond, being exchanged September 21, 1863. He continued with the command after his exchange, and on October 16, 1864, was the second time captured, but managed to effect his escape after being held a prisoner nearly a month. In 1866 he came to Bates County and taught school, and for four years was deputy assessor and acted as agent for the Butler Overland State Company, and was one year in a real estate office. In 1872 he started to farming, but worked but one year at that industry, going to Rockville in 1873, where he started a livery, which he continued for some time. Mr. Laughlin owns considerable good property, including several houses and lots in Rockville and 800 acres of land; hea lso has 240 acres in Louisiana and 640 in Texas. He is the proprietor of the extensive rock quarries near Rockville, from which immense quantities of building rock of the finest quality are being constantly taken. About sixty-five cars of rock are shiped each month to points in Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Kansas and Texas. Mr. Laughlin was married, May 29, 1870, to Miss Eliza J. Myers, a native of Indiana. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LEE, D.P., M.D.
Pleasant Gap Township - D.P. Lee, M.D., is one of the pioneer physicians of Bates County. He is a native of Greene County, Ohio, and was born December 4, 1832. John Lee, his father, grew to manhood in Virginia, the state of his birth, and was there married to Miss Elizabeth Husong, also a Virginian by birth. He served in the war of 1812, and moved to Ohio in an early day, being among the pioneers of Greene County. Afterwards in 1845 he went to Montgomery County. The subject of this sketch spent his youth mostly at school and graduated from the Centerville Union Academy in 1850. He commenced the study of medicine in about 1851 under Dr. Strong, and graduated at the Rush Medical College, at Chicago, in the spring of 1858. Previous to this he located at Westfield, Clark County, Illinois, where he practiced his profession. In the fall of 1859 the doctor moved to Cass County, Missouri, and continued practicing there till 1862. In February, 1866, he came to Bates County and located on a farm in Pleasant Gap Township and has since been practicing his profession in this vicinity with much success. Dr. Lee was married in Coles County, Illinois, in March, 1854, to Miss Mildred S. Grosshart, a native of Illinois, and a daughter of S. Grosshart. She died in September, 1881, leaving four children: Rosamond A. (wife of Samuel Starr), Denny S. (wife of John Starr), Joel M. and Maggie S. The doctor has 400 acres of land of which 160 are improved and 200 acres under fence with two comfortable tenant houses, orchard, etc. He hs been a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to the blue lodge, for twenty-three years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Homer Township - Robert Leech is a native of Harrison County, Ohio, where he was born March 13, 1810. His parents were James and Mary Frances Leech. The former, who was born in Maryland, settled in Ohio in 1801, with his father's family. The mother came originally from Ireland, and they were married in 1809, in Jefferson County, Ohio. They subsequently became settled in Harrison County, Ohio. Their family consisted of six children. Robert Leech was reared in the county of his birth, and afterwards went to Richland County. He was married September 5, 1837, to Miss Catherine J. Kerr, who was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, March 22, 1818. When two years old she accompanied her parents, James and Mary (Jewell) Kerr, natives of Pennsylvania, to Richland County, Ohio, where she was educated. The subject of this sketch improved a farm in Richland County and remained there until 1866, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, settling at Mulberry Postoffice, where he is now living a somewhat retired life. He and his wife have one child living: Monroe S. Three are deceased: Mary E., J.K. and Robert J. They are both members of the U.P. Church. Monroe S. Leech came to Missouri with his parents, and in 1864 began the study of medicine under Dr. C. McMillen, in Shelby, Ohio. He was graduated at Cleveland, Ohio, in 1859, and soon began practicing at Mulberry. In the spring of 1881 he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he now follows his profession. He was married in 1869 to Miss Mary A. Braden, a native of Harrison County, Ohio, and a daughter of William and Anna Braden. They have one child, Anna Belle, living, and one, Mary Adela, deceased. Theya re also connected with the U.P. Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LEFKER, John A.
Mt. Pleasant Township - John A. Lefker, manufacturer of and dealer in flour, etc., is proprietor of the Empire Mill, and is also a member of the firm of Lefker, Childs & Co., dealers in grain. He was born in Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana, January 16, 1836, his parents, Frederick and Mary (Schuloff) Lefker, being natives of Germany. John A. was reared and educated in his native city, where he was engaged in clerking for different mercantile firms till 1855, then going to Cincinnati. He was also employed in the same business there till 1857, when he went to Linn County, Kansas, settling on a farm. For some time he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, after which he embarked in the mercantile trade, continuing the same till 1867. Moving to Kansas City he was interested in a planning mill till 1868, and after this he resided in Cass County one year, where he had a saw mill, which he moved, in 1869, to Bates County. This he located on the Marais des Cygne River, and subsequently added the machinery for manufacturing flour. In 1877 he brought it to Butler, where he has since been enjoying a thriving patronage, having four run of burrs and doing a general milling business. In 1861 Mr. Lefker enlisted in Mansfield's Blues, Second Kansas, with which he served for three months. In the spring of 1882 he was elected mayor of this city, and has so far succeeded in filling the office to the satisfaction of the people and with great credit to himself. He is a member of the following societies: Butler Lodge, No. 180, I.O.O.F.; Butler Encampment, No. 176; and Mound Lodge, No. 107, A.O.U.W. February 12, 1858, Mr. L. was married to Miss Agnes Thompson, a native of Richmond, Indiana. She was born May 5, 1835, and died May 1, 1871, leaving one child, Frederick O. Mr. L. was married the second time February 22, 1877, to Miss Anna Brown, of Fairfield County, Ohio. By this union they have one child, Clyde R. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Warren Lentz, farmer, section 33, was born in Elkhart County, Indiana, August 25, 1853, and was the son of Adam and Annie (Neff) Lentz. The former was a native of Pennsylvania and a farmer by calling. Warren was the fourth child of eleven children. He received his education in the public schools of Indiana, and when fifteen years of age with his father removed to Illinois. He remained on a farm until he arrived at manhood, when he engaged in farming for himself in Illinois, which he followed until 1872. Then he came to Bates County, Missouri. His farm now contains 160 acres of the best of land, well improved. October 1, 1876, Mr. Lentz married Miss Lundy Carpenter, daughter of William Carpenter. She was born in Illinois, in 1856. They have three children: Mary Olive, Clarrie Jane and Eva May. Mr. and Mrs. Lentz are members of the German Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - William Leslie, dealer in furniture and undertaker's supplies. The subject of this sketch was the first to begin this business in Rich Hill and is now the leading dealer in his line in the city. He is a native of Lawrence County, Pennsylvania and was born May 17, 1826. His parents, Adam and Elizabeth (Van Eman) Leslie, also being natives of that state. The former died in 1862 and his wife now lives in Pennsylvania. William was reared in his native county, spending his boyhood days on a farm and receiving the advantage of the common schools. In 1853 he moved to Keokuk, Iowa, and was principally engaged in merchandising there till 1863, when he went to Denver, Illinois, and continued the same business till 1871. Then he located on a farm in Vernon County, Missouri, following agricultural pursuit for five years, and afterwards he sold goods in Nevada for a period of time. His attention was devoted to the milling business till 1880 when he came to Rich Hill, and here he has since taken an active part in the building up of the place. In March, 1849, Mr. Leslie was married to Miss Agnes Hogg, a native of the same county as himself. She died in February, 1853, leaving two children, one of whom is now living, Margaret E. He was married again in December, 1853, to Miss S. Hamill, also of Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. She died June, 1856. His third marriage occurred on February, 1857, to Miss Elleanor Boyd, a native of Ohio. By this marriage they have three children: Willis, Ella and Frank. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LEVY, Judge Samuel
Samuel Levy was born in Germany in 1846, and emigrated to America in September, 1863. He started in business in New Madrid, Mo., in 1868, and came to Butler, Bates County, Mo., in 1876. He has been continuously in business there ever since under the firm name of Samuel Levy & Co., and his dry goods house has always been one of the leading establishments of the kind in this section of the state. He has won and retained the confidence of the general public to a marked degree. He is a conservative citizen and a successful business man. As an evidence of the high esteem in which he is held, in 1888, when Associate Judge Boswell was killed by lightning, a numerously signed petition went to Gov. A.P. Morehouse praying for the appointment of Mr. Levy as successor. The governor appointed him and Judge Levy served out the unexpired term with credit to himself and satisfaction to the general public. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Mt. Pleasant Township - Samuel Levy, a member of the firm of S. Levy & Co., dealers in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, notions, carpets, etc., is one of the leading and most prominent business men of Butler. He was born in Prussia, on the 6th of September, 1846, and continued to make his home in that country until he attained his seventeenth year. Then, upon emigrating to the United States, he settled in New York City, and for three months was engaged in clerical work. Subsequently he removed to St. Louis, Missouri, and continued clerking for three months, at the expiration of which time he embarked in business for himself in that city. After six months he located in New Madrid, where he was an extensive dealer in clothing, etc., until 1876. In that year he came to Butler and established his present house. The firm carries as heavy and complete a stock of goods as any one in this city, and their trade is constantly on the increase, though the liberal patronage they are receiving is not more than such energetic men deserve. They occupy two store roms and also the floors above them. Mr. Levy was married on the 13th of May, 1874, his wife being formerly Miss Hattie B. Levy, a native of St. Louis, Missouri. Their family consists of two children, Deborah and Harry. Mr. L. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.S. Lindsay, farmer, dealer in live stock and proprietor of billiard hall and saloon at Hume, is at present residing on section 16. He came originally from Canada, and was born in 1842. In 1864, he accompanied his parents to Illinois, and from there went to Linn County, Kansas, in 1868. He commenced life for himself by working by the month, but has been successful in his operations, and is now one of the leading live stock men of Bates County. He settled where he now lives in 1874, coming from Linn County. In 1861, Mr. Lindsay married Miss Mary Wheeler, who was born in London, England, in 1838. She was educated in berkshire, that country, and soon emigrated to Canada. Their family consists of Stephen, William Clarence, Charles, Elmer, James, Frank, Clara and Della. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - Noah Little, hardware and grocery merchant, and a member of the firm of Little, Reese Bros., was born in Boone County, Missouri, in September, 1841, and is a son of Alba and Eliza Little, Virginians by birth, who, after being married, settled in Boone County, Missouri, in 1832. The father died in 1846, but his widow still resides in that county. Noah was reared and educated in the county of his birth, and when at the age of fifteen years he began learning the carpenter's trade. During the late war he served, in 1862-63, in the Ninth Missouri Regiment, Confederate Army. Upon moving to Bates County, Missouri, he located in Spruce Township, and gave his attention to farming, and in 1880 settled where Hume now stands. Mr. Little was the founder of the town, and laid it out into town lots. Since then he has been foremost in promoting the interests and growth of the place. His wife was formerly Miss Sarah Ullery, who was born, reared and educated in Callaway County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Little have a family of six children Anna, Laura, Noah, James, Willie and Ollie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LITTLE, Walter R., Dr.
East Boone Township - Dr. Walter R. Little was born in Fulton County, Illinois, March 29, 1838. His parents were Patrick and Mary Ann (Riley) Little, who were married in Illinois. His father was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother was a Kentuckian by birth. Walter is the eldest of five children. He was educated at Abingdon College, Abingdon, Illinois, until he began the study of medicine when he attended the Keokuk Medical College of Physicians and Surgeons. After receiving his diploma in 1869, he began the practice of his profession in Schuyler County, Illinois, where he practiced for ten years, coming to Missouri in 1879, and locating at Grant, Cass County. When Adrian started, he located there, and in August 1882, came to Burdett, where he is having a highly satisfactory practice. Dr. Little was married September 11, 1859, in McDonough County, Illinois, to Miss Almira Hayes, a native of Fulton County. They have three children: Alonzo, Frederick and Franklin. Himself and wife are members of the Christian Church. In politics, he is a Republican. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Hudson Township - H.R. Livingston, a Virginian by birth, was born in Scott County, August 21, 1837. His parents, H.A. and Mary (Hawk) Livingston, were also natives of Virginia. The former served in the war of 1812, and was captain of a company. H.R. Livingston moved to Kentucky with the family in 1843, and located in Johnson County. He spent his youth attending school and on the farm, and when sixteen years of age he was engaged in clerking in a store in Morgan County. He served in that capacity until he was taken into partnership. In March, 1866, he moved north to Illinois, and embarked in the mercantile business at Paris, where he remained about two years. In 1868 he went to Cincinnati and was occupied in a wholesale clothing house as collector and salesman for three years. In 1871 Mr. Livingston came to Missouri and located in Appleton City, where he resumed the mercantile business, under the firm name of Sloss & Livingston. In the fall of 1874 he sold out his interest and moved on his present farm, and has since been engaged in dealing in and feeding stock, and farming. He has 480 acres of land, with 280 acres fenced, 40 acres in timothy meadow and 40 in orchard grass. There is a large dwelling, barn and outbuildings, and an orchard of 150 apple trees on the place, besides plums, apricots and small fruits. He resides on section 17. Mr. Livingston was married in Bates County, January 10, 1872, to Miss Ellen Douglas, a daughter of Col. George Douglas. She is a native of Missouri, and was born in Vernon County, and educated at Boonville, Missouri. They have three children: Lizzie D., born October 15, 1872; Charles W., born November 15, 1874, and Wade H., born August 7, 1878. Mr. Livingston has rented his fine farm and moved to Butler, where he has purchased a residence property, and where he contemplates entering into business. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Joseph Logue, farmer and school teacher, section 16, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, February 14, 1848, and was the son of Abner and Ellen (Rife) Logue, natives of Ohio. Joseph was the fifth of thirteen children. He was raised on a farm in Ohio and was educated in the public schools of his native county, and at the age of eighteen years he engaged in teaching school. He taught five years in Ohio and Virginia, and in 1871 he removed to Cass County, Missouri, where he farmed and taught school two years; thence to Bates County, Missouri, and here has since been interested in the same calling. His farm contains 120 acres of average land, well improved and one of the best for stock purposes in the township. He is township clerk and assessor. He and his wife are members of the M.E. Church. March 3, 1871, Mr. Logue married Miss Saphrona Kinkade, born in Gallia County, Ohio, November 16, 1846. They have four children living: Jessie C., Charles E., Katie and James. They lost one, Louie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - A.T. Lowry, grain merchant, was born in Wabash County, Indiana, March 13, 1846, and was the seventh child of Judge B.W. Lowry, of Wabash County. His mother's maiden name was Margaret Wiley, a native of Ohio. A.L. was reared on his father's farm in Indiana, and received a fair education. In 1863, he enlisted in Company L, 119th Indiana, and served two years and nine months. In July, 1867, he was married to Miss Lucinda Beaver. Subsequently he engaged in the grain trade at LaGro, Indiana, and handled lumber for some time. In 1870, he came to Linn County, Missouri, and until 1877, was interested in farming and bridge building. Coming to Bates in 1877, he embarked in the grain trade, and has charge also of the lumber yard of R.J. Hurly & Co. He is doing a good business in grain, having shipped in 1880, one hundred and ten thousand bushels. Mr. Lowry owns some town property. He holds membership in the I.O.O.F. and A.O.U.W. fraternities. He and his wife have a family of six children: George H., Frank H., Burton, Gertrude, Emma May and Katie Grace. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LUDWICK, John Lafayette
Mound Township - John Lafayette Ludwick is among the old settlers of Bates, and stands prominent as one who has been identified with the various interests of the county since its first settlement. Not only has he seen these prairies turn into beautiful homes, but has put his hand to the plow and has done much to make Bates County what it now is. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, January 31, 1829, his parents being George and Susan (Lutzenheizen) Ludwick, of German ancestry. In 1839 the family came to Bates County, and the surviving members of the family are still living in Western Missouri, one sister and one brother in Deepwater Township. The first settlement was made near Johnstown, in Spruce Township. December 25, 1851, Mr. Ludwick married Miss Mary E. Fletcher, who had just come to this county from Saline. In 1858 he went to Kansas and bought a claim in Linn County, but owing to the unsettled state of affairs at that time he remained but four months, abandoned his claim and then returned to Deepwater. August 17, 1862, he enlisted soon after the fight at Lone Jack and served through Missouri and Arkansas, taking part in all the principal actions until the battle of Helena, July 4, 1863, when he was wounded in the head and shoulder, being in the hospital at Little Rock. When the place surrendered he was made prisoner and taken to St. Louis, Alton and Cairo, and finally sent to New Orleans for exchange, which was effected at the mouth of Red River, just in time to surrender with his command at Shreveport. On his return he found his family in Henry County, whither they had gone on account of Order No. 11. In 1874 Mr. Ludwick visited Texas and spent one year in Hayes County, but tiring of the South, he retraced his steps, and in 1880 moved to Butler, where he lived until recently, when he came to his farm seven miles north of town. His family has numbered eight children, but the three eldest died in infancy. The remaining five are: John Franklin, Andrew Bruce, Gustave Beauregard, Alice Medora and Arthur Lee. Mr. Ludwick has held many positions of trust in the county. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - A.E. Lyle, physician and surgeon at Sprague, owes his nativity to Perry County, Ohio, where he was born in 1848, his parents being Robert and Anna (Evans) Lyle. They were both born in Muskingum County, Ohio, the father in 1808, and the mother in 1811. In 1856, young Lyle accompanied the family to Minnesota, where he passed his early manhood, receiving a good education. In 1868, he came to Bates County, Missouri, and in 1871, began the study of medicine with Dr. A. Rhoads, at Papinville. He attended lectures at St. Louis, and twenty months thereafter, or in March, 1873, he was graduated. He first embarked in the practice of his profession at Metz, Vernon County, Missouri, but in 1881, located at Sprague. September 16, 1874, Dr. Lyle married Miss R.A. Wood, a native of Morrow County, Ohio, born in 1850. She was a daughter of A.S. and K. Wood nee Morrow. They have a family of two children: Anna and Bam. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
LYLE, Marion R.
Lone Oak Township - Marion R. Lyle, a representative farmer and stock dealer, of this township, was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, September 12, 1835, and is the eldest of five children of Robert and Anna (Evans) Lyle. The former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio, and now residing in Bates County. One brother, A.E., is a physician at Sprague, one, E.E., in Nebraska, one sister, Melina, is the wife of Jerome Cady at Rich Hill, and one sister, Adeline Houghton, lives near Sprague. In 1856, Mr. Lyle settled in Moore County, Minnesota, from which place (after a residence there of twelve years), he came to Bates County, and located near Papinville, where he lived but two years, moving upon his present farm in 1870. He was married in Mitchell County, Iowa, to Miss Laura A. Wilder, daughter of Andrew J. Wilder. They have four children: Clarence C., Mary, Jennie and Robbie. Mr. Lyle served in the war in the Fourth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, under Colonel Sanborn, and was in the Middle or Kentucky and Tennessee Division of the army, and participated in fifteen general engagements, through which he passed without receiving a wound of any kind. While at Huntsville, Alabama, he entered the veteran service and continued until the close of the war, having served three years and ten months. Mr. Lyle is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and also of the Order of Patrons of Husbandry, and is the master of the grange near where he now lives. In politics he is an active Greenbacker. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)