Bates County Biographies
MAINS, Isaac N.
Pleasant Gap Township - Isaac N. Mains, of the firm Brooks & Mains, merchants and stock dealers, Pleasant Gap, is a native of New York, and was born in Utica, June 15, 1848. Isaac Mains, his father, was born in Ireland, but moved to the United States with his parents, who were natives of England and of English extraction, when he was an infant, and settled in New York. There he grew to manhood and married Catherine Wellman, a Connecticut lady, and of Puritan stock. Isaac N. accompanied the family to Michigan in 1857, and located in Branch County. He spent his youth at school and received a good education at the Coldwater High School, and at the New Haven Preparatory School, graduating from the United States Business College in 1866. After finishing his studies he was engaged in a drug store in Coldwater, where he had previously been employed two years. After about three years, in the spring of 1870, he came west to Missouri, and located at Pleasant Gap, in Bates County, where he embarked in the mercantile business. In 1871 the present partnership of Brooks & Mains was formed. This firm are carrying a general stock of merchandise, and are also doing a large business in handing and feeding stock. They own 1,000 acres of land, with 900 acres under fence, well improved and with two good residences, two orchards containing some twenty acres. Mr. Mains was married in Bates County, April 19, 1876, to Miss Ida Boyd, a daughter of J.D. Boyd. She was a native of Ohio. She died December 12, 1876. Mr. Mains married his present wife, Miss Alice Rose, October 7, 1879, in Coldwater, Michigan. She is the daughter of A.G. Rose, and was born in New York, but was raised and educated in Coldwater, Michigan. They have one child, Katherine V., who was born May 4, 1881. Mrs. Mains is a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. M. belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and is a Knight Templar. He is a Democrat and has filled numerous local offices in his township. He was appointed postmaster of his town in 1871, and notary public in November, 1878, both of which positions he holds at this writing. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MALTBIE, William Harrison
Prairie Township - William Harrison Maltbie, farmer and stock raiser, owes his nativity to Warren County, Ohio, where he was born July 4, 1843. His father, Hiram Maltbie, originally from Montgomery County and an extensive farmer by occupation, married Miss Elizabeth Greeg, of Warren County, Ohio, who died in 1844. William H. spent his youth and early manhood at home, assisting upon the farm and attending schol during the winter seasons, thus obtaining a common school education. In 1868 he married Miss Lucretia Crockett, of Warren County. Mr. M. remained a resident of Ohio until March, 1874, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, though then not in the possession of many means. Now he has a beautiful home in section 3, containing 120 acres of land in good cultivation; he also owns forty acres in section 20. Mr. and Mrs. Maltbie have one child, Hiram D., aged twelve years. He is a staunch temperance man, and, politically, is found in the ranks of the Republican party. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Although not at all demonstrative in his character and habits, M.G. Manley, wherever known, is highly esteemed as a man of strict integrity, and good business qualifications. He is the secretary of the Rich Hill Town Company and has done much to build up the wonderful city, wherein he pitched his tent among the first who went thither to cast in their fortune. He was born at Claridon, Geauga County, Ohio, August 23, 1844, and brought up to agricultural pursuits. Like thousands of young men, who have achieved prominence in business callings, he received his education in the common schools of his native county. When twenty-one years of age he began the drug business at Burton, Ohio, where he continued for six years. Durng this time, he held the position of postmaster of the town. His physical constitution not being very robust, his health gave way, and through the advice of physicians he discontinued his business and became quite a traveler, going over Colorado and Nebraska, being thus engaged for two years. He enjoyed the varied experiences incident to the life of a hunter, camper and a man of pleasure, and was especially delighted with the natural scenery with which nature has so munificently endowed Colorado. Its mountains, its parks, its thundering waterfalls, its valleys, and its pure, bracing winds, did much to restore Mr. Manley to his wonted health. In October, 1880, he came to Rich Hill, Missouri, where he immediately became identified with others in the advancement of the interests of the town. He is at present manager of the Talmage House, the largest hotel in the town. He was married April 10, 1867, to Miss Laura Cleveland, who is also a native of Geauga County, Ohio. She is the cashier of the large business house of M.S. Cowles & Co., Rich Hill. Mr. and Mrs. Manley have one child, Robert C. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - G.W. Mann, proprieter of cigar factory No. 34 of the Fifth District of Missouri, is a native of England and was born March 3, 1829. He was educated in his native country and came to America in 1856, and in the following spring began work in a lumber yard in Chicago, which he continued for six years. Going to the upper peninsula of Michigan in the region of the copper mines, he was engaged in mining for two years, after which he located near Muskegan, same state. Afterwards he went to Big Rapids, where he was occupied in the cigar manufacturing business, from which point he came to Rich Hill and began his present business. Mr. Mann was married, September 10, 1856, to Miss Margaret O'Brien, a native of Ireland. She died in 1872, leaving five children: Mary, Celia, Hattie, Georgenea and Eliza. He was married the second time, April 19, 1881, to Mrs. Sarah McKinzey, originally of Virginia; her maiden name was Massie. In 1849 Mr. Mann enlisted for ten years in the Grenadier Guards of the regular army in England and served as sergeant in the Crimean war, which began in 1854 and ended in 1856. He has a medal of four clasps, showing that he took part in the four noted battles fought during the two years' campaign. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - G.A. Manners, proprietor of meat market and saw mill at Rich Hill, was born in Canada, near Toronto, December 7, 1846. He was reared and educated in his native county, and in 1865 he located in Oregon, Illinois, where he resided but a short time, going thence to Columbus, Nebraska. In 1867 he returned to Canada, where, on May 10, of the same year, he was married to Miss Malittie E. Johnson, a native of that country. By this marriage he has one child, Clara H. In the fall of 1867 Mr. M. went to Iowa, and in the following spring, to Anderson County, Kansas, where he pursued his present occupation till December, 1874, when he visited Denver, Colorado. There he was engaged in the same business till the spring of 1876, and from this date on till 1881, when he came to Rich Hill, he was conducting a meat market at Garnet, Kansas. His first wife died in October, 1880. Mr. Manners was married to his present wife March 7, 1881, her maiden name being Lucretia A. Bowels. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MARTIN, Alexander S.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Alexander S. Martin, dealer in dry goods, notions, millinery, carpets, etc., owes his nativity to Chautauqua County, New York, where he was born October 19, 1832. When seven years old he was taken by the family to Belvidere County, Illinois, where he passed his boyhood days and attended school. In 1852 he removed to Portage County, Wisconsin, and for about four years followed the profession of surveying, after which he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. Gordon of Warsaw, Wisconsin. He remained under his instruction for three years and in 1859-60 and 1862-63 he was a student at the Chicago Medical College from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1863. The same year he embarked in the practice of his profession near Cleveland, Ohio, where he continued to remain for four years. In 1867 he came to Butler, but after resuming practice for six months he established his present business, the firm then being M.S. Cowles & Co., which name in 1880 was changed to A.S. Martin. This store is well filled with goods and the business which he is conducting justifies him in having a complete stock. He was married on March 4, 1867, to Miss Jul,ia E. Cowles, originally from Ohio. They have two children: Clyde M. and Glenn C. Mr. Martin is a member of the Masonic fraternity and was the first master of Butler Lodge No. 254. He also belongs to the I.O.O.F., in which order he hs held all offices within the gift of the lodge. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - R.C. Massie is one among the enterprising men of Rich Hill and has figured conspiciously in the building up of the city. He is a native of Paris, Kentucky, having been born there May 10, 1857. He came from Kansas City, Missouri, to this place shortly after the town was laid off, and engaged in the hardware business as one of the firm of Minor & Massie, having erected their building for that purpose. He continued the hardware business for two years, and during the year 1882, he erected one of the finest brick blocks in the town, known as the Massie Block. This building 50x100 feet and two stories high, is magnificently finished and has a frontage on Park Avenue, and presents a most metropolitan appearance. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MATCHETT, George H., M.D.
Spruce Township - George H. Matchett, M.D., is one of the leading physicians of Bates County. He is a native of Indiana and was born in Rush County April 8, 1852. James Matchett, his father, a native of Kentucky, married Miss Sophia Hilligoss, originally from Ohio. The former moved to Indiana when a young man, and in 1855 went from Rush to Madison County. George H. was raised on a farm and in a store, his primary education being obtained at the common schools. He afterwards attended the High School at Anderson, Indiana, and the Cincinnati High Schools. In 1870 he commenced the study of medicine at Florida, Indiana, and in 1874 studied under Dr. Vanmeter, one of the prominent physicians of that city. In the winter of 1876 he attended the American Medical College at St. Louis, where he graduated in the spring of 1878. After finishing his studies the doctor came west the same year and located in Deepwater Township, Bates County, Missouri, where he embarked in the practice of his profession. In December, 1880, he moved to Johnstown, and has continued the practice from this place. He has a large and increasing patronage, and is considered to be one of the best physicians in this vicinity. He was married here, in September, 1871, to Miss Velma A. Whitehead. There is one child by this marriage, Tilden. Mr. Matchett was married to his present wife, formerly Miss Alice E. Sams, in September, 1880. She is a daughter of M.V. Sams, of Nodaway County. They have one child, Orral. The doctor is Democratic in politics and was a delegate to the late congressional convention at Nevada. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - A.B. Maupin was born in Callaway County, Missouri, October 27, 1827. His parents were George and Nancy (Miller) Maupin, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter of Missouri. George Maupin came to Missouri in 1804 and was one of the first settlers of Franklin County. He was one of six in that county who voted for the admission of Missouri as a free state. He represented Callaway County in the legislature in 1844 and 1845 and was one of the county judges at the time of his death in 1862. His son, A.B., spent his youth on a farm and received a fair education in the common schools. After reaching his majority he learned teh plasterer's trade at which he worked for several years. He was maried in Boone County in December, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Denham, a daughter of David Denham and a Kentuckian by birth. After his marriage Mr. Maupin located on a farm in Callaway County. He is identified with the Republican party and takes more than ordinary interest in the political issues of the day. He was a candidate for representative on the republican ticket in 1862, and in 1864 he was appointed registration officer of his county, and in 1865 was appointed superintendent of registration. In 1868 he came to Bates County and was for a time occupied in farming near Butler. In 1872 he moved to Johnstown and engaged in the saw mill and lumber business. In the following year he commenced the mercantile business and was in trade two years. He is a member of the Christian Church and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity and has been presiding officer of his lodge at different times for fifteen years. He is also an Odd Fellow. Mrs. Maupin died February 23, 1873, leaving five children: William O., Nannie A. (wife of William Scott), Ettie S., Everett and Sunie L. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MAXWELL, Edley C.
Howard Township - Edley C. Maxwell, farmer, section 5, was born in Tazewell County, Virginia, October 19, 1836. His father, William M. Maxwell, and also his mother, Elizabeth, were natives of the same county; the former was born in 1811 and the latter in 1815. In 1837 the family came to Missouri and settled in Linn County, where they were among the pioneer citizens of the locality. Edley C. spent his youth and was educated in that county. His first start in life was as an agriculturist, and in 1870 he came to Bates County. In 1859 he married Miss Rebecca Park, who was born in Sheridan County, Missouri, March 24, 1836. She was a daughter of James and Frances (Hereford) Park, her father, a Kentuckian by birth, and her mother a native of Tennessee, and a sister of Hon. Wm. Hereford, of Sheridan County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Maxwell have a family of six children: John B., Frances J., Lucy, Bettie, Della and Ora. They are members of the M.E. Church South. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - J.M. Mayes, farmer, stockman, and merchant, Mayesburg post office, was born in Granger County, Tennessee, February 28, 1840, and is the second of eleven children, seven boys and four girls. His parents were George and Priscella Mayes, nee Godwin, natives of Tennessee. When he was but nine years old the family went to the state of Arkansas, where in Burton County he grew to the age of maturity, and received his education. He began farming when twenty years of age and soon after was married July 25, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth R. Harris, who was born in Tennessee, April 8, 1843. In 1863 they removed to Missouri. Mr. M. followed farming in Cooper County until the close of the war, when he came to Bates County, and settled where he now resides, having a splendid stock farm of 350 acres. He has about 140 head of cattle, a like number of hogs, and usually keeps about twelve horses. He is also buying and shipping stock. In April, 1878, he in company with Mr. Carleton, engaged in the mercantile trade, but in 1881 he purchased Mr. Carleton's interest, and has since carried on the store in connection with his farming operations. He is township assessor and is identified with the Baptist Church. Mr. and Mrs. M. have five children living: Letitia E., Mary P., Minnie, Martha C. and James I. They have lost one, George H., a bright boy of four years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MAYNARD, Martin A.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Martin A. Maynard, proprietor of the only exclusive book and notion store in Butler, is a son of John Maynard, who was born in Massachusetts, having been married in New York to Miss Charlotte Merchant, a native of New York. They emigrated to Michigan in 1836. M.A. Maynard was born in Adrian, Lenawee County, Michigan, May 16, 1840, and was reared and educated in that vicinity. September 13, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Third Michigan Cavalry, and remained in this company till December of the same year. In February, 1864, he enlisted in Company H of that regiment, serving till the close of the war, and during his last service he was quartermatser sergeant. In the spring of 1869 he came to Butler, Bates County, Missouri, where he engaged in teaming for six months. He was then occupied in clerking till October, 1873, since which time he has given his attention to his present business. He is now city treasurer, and has also held other minor offices. Mr. Maynard is a member of Butler Lodge, No. 254, A.F. and A.M., Chapter No. 76, and Commandery No. 30, Butler Lodge, No. 180, I.O.O.F. and encampment, Mound Lodge, No. 107, A.O.U.W., and Butler, Lodge No. 6, I.O.G.T. November 8, 1872, he was married to Miss MEdora Brashear, a native of Berry County, Indiana. Her parents, Thoma and Lydia (Ash) Brashear, were natives of Kentucky. The family of Mr. and Mrs. M. consists of three children: Nora Blanche, Flora Pearl, and Sue Ethel. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCANINCH, W.C., M.D.
Spruce Township - W.C. McAninch, M.D., was born in Simpson County, Kentucky, November 7, 1830. His parents were Samuel and Margaret (Mires) McAninch, the former a native of Kentucky and of Scotch descent, and the latter of Pennsylvania. W.C. moved with the family to Missouri in 1832, and located in Jackson County, at Independence, where they were among the pioneers. Leaving there they went to Pleasant Hill, in Cass County. Our subject spent his youth on a farm, and was educated at the common schools and at the Pleasant Hill High School, subsequently attending the Liberty College. In 1856, he commenced the study of medicine at Pleasant Hill with Dr. Stephens, one of the leading physicians of Cass County. In 1858 he was a student at the St. Louis Medical College, and in the spring of 1860 he graduated from this institution. After finishing his studies the doctor began the practice of his profession at Johnstown, where he still resides. He was married in Bates County, May 6, 1860, to Miss Virginia Ridgeway, who was born in Ohio, and a daughter of John and Mary Ridgeway. They have four children: John S., C.W., Augustus G., and Mary Permelia. The doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - A. L. McBride, the son of John and Mahala McBride nee Robinson, natives of Ohio, is a member of the well known house of A.L. McBride & Co., of Butler, who are among the most extensive and substantial firms dealing in groceries, hardware, stoves, tinware, etc., in Bates County. This establishment was formed by A.L. McBride and Franklin Smith, in 1872. The third partner, D.F. Beegle, was admitted in the spring of 1882, these three gentlemen constituting the present firm. A.L. McBride was born in Champaign County, Ohio, September 2, 1840. When he was fourteen years of age his parents movd to Wyandot County, where he grew to manhood. His education was received in the common schools, and his early life was occupied on a farm, agricultural pursuits being the occupation of his father. August 22, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-third Ohiio Infantry, and remained in service till after the surrender of Lee, having participated in a number of important battles. For ten days he was held a prisoner in Libby Prison, and for twenty days in Belle Island. After the close of war he returned to Wyandot County, Ohio, and in 1867 came to Missouri, locating in Macon County, where he started in the mercantile trade, in 1869. He came to Butler in 1871. October 4, 1866, Mr. McBride was married to Miss Mahala V. Bretz, a native of Marion County, Ohio. They have one child, Mary M. Mrs. McBride was born November 12, 1840, her parents, Samuel and Catherine (Bibler) Bretz, being natives of Ohio. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - J.O. McBride, druggist at Rockville, was born in Lexington, Kentucky, March 31, 1858. His father, W.H. McBride, was a native of Kentucky, and a brick contractor by occupation. He married Miss Mattie J. Randall, also of Kentucky. J.O. McBride was the eldest of six children. While he was only two years old the family moved to Booneville, Missouri, where they remained during the war. In 1866 they came to Henry County. He worked in the co-operative store at Clinton, and also clerked in a grocery store, and in 1877 he was engaged in conducting a grocery at Montrose. He came to Rockville in 1879 and became the principal member of the firm of McBride & Co., dealers in drugs, etc. Mr. McB. has been elected to the office of justice of the peace. He was married February 4, 1880, to Miss Lizzie Poland, a native of Missouri. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCCLINTIC, Dr. Hezekiah D.
Lone Oak Township - Dr. Hezekiah D. McClintic was born in Bath County, Virginia, January 19, 1831. His parents were Moses and Mary Ann (Daggs) McClintic. His grandfather was born in Ireland and was wounded in one of the revolutionary battles, from the effects of which wound he subsequently died. Hezekiah is the second of eight children in the family, all of whom are living. He received a liberal education, having attended Henry College and the University of Virginia, and going from there to the Jefferson Medical School of Philadelphia where he graduated. At the age of twenty-six years he began the practice of his profession at the Warm Springs of Bath County, Virginia. He practiced there two years and in 1858 crossed the mountains to Franklin, West Virginia, where he remained until 1861, then retracing his steps to Bath County. For some time during the war he acted as provost marshal for that district. He returned to Frankfort and continued his practice and remained there until November 27, 1869. He soon came to Bates County and located ten miles south of Butler near Old Rich Hill, where he followed the practice of his growing profession. Four years ago he settled at his present location and has built up a satisfactory practice. The doctor has a good farm of eighty acres and is comfortably situated in life. His daughter, Lula, is his housekeeper. He was married March 12, 1858, in Bath County, Virginia, to Miss Sallie Shields. Her death occurred May 26, 1874, when she left two children: Ella (wife of Alonzo Sha and living near her father), and Lula is at home. The doctor has one of the oldest diplomas on record in Bates County. He is considered one of the most successful practitioners in the county but prefers a country practice rather than that of the city. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - David McComb, a leading contractor and miner of the Rich Hill coal regions, was born in Scotland, March 10, 1833. He came to America when about fifteen years of age, locating in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, from whence he went in a few years to Bureau County, Illinois. From boyhood he has been engaged in mining, having worked in many localities in different states for a period of time - in 1863, for the government as superintendent. In 1868, he located in Bloomington, Illinois, and was extensively occupied in mining till 1880, when he came to Rich Hill, where he has since resided, and where he is now doing a thriving business. Mr. McComb married Miss Elizabeth Hughes, a native of Pennsylvania, by which union they have five children: Elizabeth, Thomas, William, John and David. Mr. McComb is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Thomas McComb, of the firm of McComb Bros., coal contractors, came originally from Scotland, where he was born April 25, 1836. When thirteen years of age he emigrated to America, settling in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, where he was engaged in mining for four years. Leaving that locality, he went to Peoria County, Illinois, and there gave his attention to mining for ten years, when he removed to Bloomington, he and his brother being contractors for the Bloomington Coal Company until 1880. Coming to Rich Hill, Missouri, he began prospecting for coal and operated the McComb Mine from the ground down, discovering the vein which this mine is now working - a most valuable one. Besides managing that mine, Mr. McComb and brother are largely interested in mining property, having in their possession 700 acres of coal land, some of which they lease to outside parties. He was married, in January, 1862, to Miss Mary Johnston, also a native of Scotland. Mr. McC. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCCONNELL, James C.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James C. McConnell, merchant and manager of the Grange store at Butler, is a son of David and Matilda (Finstone) McConnell, and was born in Wayne County, Ohio, August 5, 1837. He was raised in Ashland County, and after spending two years in Iowa, he retraced his steps to Ohio, and enlisted in the Forty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, commanded by General James A. Garfield. He remained therein for three years, sharing with the regiment all the battles in which it participated, among which was Vicksburg and many others. At the expiration of his term he was mustered out at Columbus, Ohio, receiving an honorable discharge. He then returned to his farm and lived there until 1869, when he came to Missouri, settling in Vernon County, where he rented a farm. He came to Bates County in 1872, and located near Butler, purchased land and improved it, and in the spring of 1882, he moved into Butler and took charge of the Grange store, where a thriving business is being conducted. Mr. McConnell was married to Miss C.E. Welch, September 25, 1868. She is the daughter of John R. and Matilda Welch, nee Lowery, of Illinois. They have five children: Grace, Emma, Ira W., Loren O., Bell and Nellie. Politically he is a Greenbacker, and in his religious preferences a Presbyterian. He is a practical business man, and has the confidence of all who know him. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCCOOL, John D.
Spruce Township - John D. McCool, a native of Ohio, was born in Richland County, December 22, 1828, and was the son of James and Eleanor (Vanodstrand) McCool, who were born in Pennsylvania. The former went to Ohio when a young man with his parents, where he was afterwards married. He came to Missouri in 1840, and located in VanBuren (now Bates) County. J.D. passed his youth on a farm, having but limited opportunities for acquiring an education. He was here married, February 7, 1861, to Miss May F. Shelton, a daughter of Alfred Shelton, of Bates County, who was one of the pioneers of Jackson County. Mr. McCool now has 120 acres of land, with eighty in his home place, fairly improved. He entered this land and improved the place, which is located in section 25. Mr. and Mrs. McC. have four children: Posa F., G.A., J.S., and William. They have lost one child, Sylvester, who died in August, 1881, aged seven years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - P.V. McCool was born in Richland County, Ohio, August 22, 1832. James McCool, his father, was born in Pennsylvania, while his mother, formerly Ellen Vanodstrand, was a native of Ohio. P.V. accompanied his parents to Missouri in 1840, and finally located in Bates County. He spent his younger days as a farmer's boy, and was married in this county in April, 1856, to Miss Susan Gutridge, a daughter of Paton Gutridge, of Henry County. After his marriage, Mr. McCool was engaged in the mercantile business at Johnstown for about five years. He has since been occupied in handling, feeding and shipping stock. Since 1870, he has given his attention to his farming interests. He has 100 acres of land all fenced and with fair improvements. Mr. and Mrs. McCool have four children: J.H., Allie, William P., and Drusa. Mrs. McCool, is a member of the Christian Church, and her husband belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He served in the State Guard a short time at the breaking out of the war, in Peyton's Cavalry Regiment, and participated in the engagement at Carthage, Missouri. He lives on section 36. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deepwater Township - James McCormack, section 17, was born in Pike County, Missouri, February 7, 1842. James McCormack, his father, and also his mother were natives of Virginia, where they were raised and married. They moved to Missouri in 1839 and were among the earliest settlers of Pike County. The subject of this sketch spent his youth on a farm and was educated in the common schools of Pike County. He was married there, December 17, 1868, to Miss Fannie H. Caverley, who was also born in Pike County, and a daughter of Philip and Nancy Caverley. After this event Mr. McCormack farmed in that vicinity for about seven years, and in the fall of 1874 he sold out and in the spring of 1875 moved to St. Clair County. Here he tilled the soil for four years, and in the spring of 1880 he came to Bates County and bought his present place, where he has 130 acres of land, all in fair cultivation, with an excellent bearing orchard. Mr. and Mrs. McCormack have two children, James William and Eddie Lee. Mr. McC. served in the Confederate Army during the war of the rebellion. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Colonel Brace's cavalry and served until the close of the war, participating in the fight at Lexington, Missouri; Prairie Grove and Helena, Arkansas; Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, and a number of other important engagements. He and his wife are members of the M.E. Church South. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCCORY, Charles R.
Deer Creek Township - Charles R. McCory, merchant, was born in Jackson County, Indiana, June 4, 1844. Joel E. McCory, his father, who was a native of New York, removed to Indiana in an early day, and married Miss Mary A. Redmon, of Maryland. They had three sons and four daughters, Charles being the fourth child. When he was seven years of age his father died and his mother then came to North Missouri, and settled on a farm. When he was fourteen years of age she died. When only ten years old he began working at the blacksmith's trade, which he followed until 1858, when he went to Illinois. There he farmed one year and subsequently located in Iowa. He worked at blacksmithing until June, 1861, when he enlisted in Company F, Fifth Kansas. He was discharged August 19, 1864. He was during this time in the blacksmith department, and after the war he went to Kansas City and continued his trade until 1866. Going to Harrisonville, he remained there six months; thence to Austin, where he worked fourteen years. In 1879 he came to Bates County, and settled on a farm near Adrian, and in 1880 he removed from the farm into town, where he conducted a shop until February 15, 1881. At that period he embarked in the mercantile business. The firm of McCory & Co. own a large business house and have a complete stock of goods, and are doing a paying business. Mr. McCory and wife are members of the Baptist Church. He is a deacon in the church, and also belongs to the I.O.O.F. order. September 15, 1864, Mr. McCory married Rebecca R. Phillips, the daughter of L.B. Huff. They have five children: Bennett T., Phygne, Edward, Lucinda, and Elsy Lee. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCCRAW, James M.
Deer Creek Township - James M. McCraw, blacksmith, was born in Jackson County, Missouri, November 4, 1837, his parents being Edmond W. McCraw, a native of North Carolina, and Louisa (Bynum) McCraw, originally from Tennessee. They had six children all of whom except James died while young. Edmond McCraw was one of the first settlers of Jackson County, having moved there in 1835, and settling on a farm. When James was eleven years old they went to Independence where he was educated in the public schools. He afterwards learned his trade and on June 18, 1861, enlisted in Company C., under Captain Bingham, and was subsequently attached to the Thirteenth Missouri. At the battle of Lexington he was taken prisoner and paroled. He was discharged in October, 1861. July 18, 1862, he again enlisted in Company A, Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry, and was discharged July 18, 1865, at Mansfield, Louisiana. Being captured he was taken to Texas where he remained fourteen months. He participated in the seige of Vicksburg. After the war Mr. McCraw located in Galesburg, Illinois, where he worked at the trade of blacksmith for four years. Going to Liberty, Missouri, he continued to live there until 1874, when he came to Crescent Hill, Bates County. In 1880 he settled in Adrian and has since given his attention to his chosen calling. In 1876 he was elected justice of the peace adn held the office for two years. He is a member of the Congregational Church and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. Mr. McCraw has been twice married; first, February 22, 1868, to Miss Isabella Callan who died January 25, 1875. He was again married to Miss Melvina Hughes, a native of Missouri. Her death occurred July 7, 1881. He has five children: Alonzo W., Eulala B., Oliver C., Charles M. and Pearl. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Summit Township - The subject of this sketch was born in Simpson County, Kentucky, October 12, 1846, and is the son of J.N. and Julia A. (Copeland) McCutchen, natives of the same county. S.C. was raised on a farm and received a common school education. He was married in Shelby County, October 15, 1868, to Miss Sallie Ray, a daughter of Lloyd B. Ray, of Shelby County. After his marriage Mr. McCutchen lived in his native county until January, 1881, when he moved to Missouri, bought land and located in Bates County and improved his present farm. He has 560 acres all in a body, fenced and in cultivation. His residence is large and is built in a sightly location, and has a good barn and a young orchard. This place is in section 5. Mr. and Mrs. C. have six children: Rosie, Julia, J.N., Anna Laura, Spencer and an infant son. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCELROY, William A.
Charlotte Township - William A. McElroy, farmer, section 28, owes his nativity to Jefferson County, Ohio, where he was born September 27, 1839. His parents, Thomas and Elizabeth (Humphry) McElroy, were both natives of Ohio, and in 1844 the family settled in Fulton County, Illinois. The mother died in 1878 leaving a family of five children. The father is still a resident of Illinois. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Illinois, and during the late war he served in the Seventy-second Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry. August 30, 1866, he married Miss S.J. Dunn, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio, May 23, 1844. She accompanied her parents, James and Susanna Dunn, to Illinois in 1849. In 1869 Mr. McElroy located where he now resides, his farm containing 400 acres finely improved, well watered, etc. Mr. and Mrs. McElroy have a family of six children: Mary C., Minnie E., Nellie B., Ida L., Frank W. and Clarence J. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - McFarland Bros. are large dealers in harness, saddles, etc. The firm is composed of Napoleon B. and Clinton B. McFarland, the former of whom was born in Benton County, Missouri, May 31, 1851. When an infant two years old he was taken by his parents to Hickory County, where Clinton was born on the 6th of September, 1853. There they continued to make their home until 1863, when the family took up a location in Grayson County, Texas. In this vicinity these brothers were engaged in following agricultural pursuits. In 1868, upon returning to Missouri, they settled in Warrensburg, and were occupied in farming near that city until 1870, when they came to Butler, Missouri. In 1873 they both began working at the trade which they now so successfully carry on. In 1874, they established business at this point and also have at present a store at Adrian, Missouri. Their trade has been continually on the increase since starting. Mr. Clinton B. McFarland was married, January 7, 1875, to Miss Mary Norton. They have one child, Clyde N. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCFARLAND, Charles T.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Charles T. McFarland, editor and proprietor of the Bates County Times, was born in Hickory County, Missouri, on the 20th day of August, 1856. His father, A.B. McFarland, is a native of Tennessee, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary J. Evans, was also born in the same state. In 1861 the family removed to Texas where they lived until 1868 and then came to Missouri, settling first in Warrensburg. The early life of Charles T. was spent on a farm and his educational advantages were rather limited. The family removed to Butler, Bates County, and Charles started the first delivery wagon in Butler. After one year he accepted a position in a store and his mercantile experience continued until 1879 when he purchased an interest in the Bates County Times. January 1, 1880, he bought his partner's interest and has since conducted the paper with marked ability and pecuniary success. Politically he is a democrat and his fealty to party interest is well attested by the able manner in which he champions everything calculated to benefit it. Although Mr. McFarland's early education, as we before intimated, was limited, he has, by close application, observation and general reading, acquired that general information which has given him a prominent social position and the respect of all as a successful journalist. He was married March 22, 1880, to Minnie Allen, a native of Wisconsin. They have one daughter, C. May. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCGREW, Dr. W.M.
Osage Township - Dr. W.M. McGrew, the well known and popular merchant in the firm of Farmer, McGrew & Britton, was born in Ralls County, Missouri, December 9, 1845. He was a son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Conn) McGrew who were natives of Kentucky. W.M. grew up and was educated in his native county, and in 1867 he began the study of medicine with Dr. J.J. Norton, of Ralls County, Missouri. Subsequently he attended the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, Kentucky, and in 1874 was graduated from the St. Louis Medical College. He followed his profession in Lincoln County, Missouri, until 1879, when he moved to Vernon County, Missouri, and gave his attention the stock business up to 1881, since which time he has been engaged in business at Rich Hill. The Dr. is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the A.O.U.T. He and his wife are also connected with the Baptist Church. He was married March 4, 1873, to Miss Mary E. Britton, a native of Lincoln County, Missouri. They have two children: Hattie and Clarence. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - James McHenry is the son of John McHenry, who was born in Wayne County, Kentucky, and who in 1840 came to what is now Bates County, settling in Walnut Township. He was among the first settlers of this part of the county and was the first representative of Bates County in the state legislature. He died in Jefferson City on the 8th day of January, 1849, while the legislature was in session. He married Margaret Hines, also a native of Wayne County, Kentucky. Their son, James, was born in that county May 25, 1816. When twenty-six years of age he went to Tennessee, where he sold goods for three years. He was married February, 1841, to Miss J.G. Windle, a granddaughter of Governor John Seevier, of Tennessee. Mr. McHenry emigrated to Missouri in 1841 and settled in Walnut Township, Bates County, on section 16. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1852, when he went to West Point and embarked in the mercantile trade, which avocation he pursued until the breaking out of the war. Afer living in Clinton, Johnson, Pettis and Henry Counties, he returned to Bates County in 1877 and located in Grand River Township on a farm. His family consists of one son and four daughters: Tillman S.; Amanda, (now Mrs. Bennett, of Pettis County); Margaret, (now Mrs. Burgess, of Bates County); Ella, (now Mrs. Spearman); and Ettie. He hs held the office of county surveyor, and in 1856 was elected county clerk, but the election was contested and decided against him. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCKEE, James J.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James J. McKee, farmer and stock dealer, was born in Richland County, Ohio, September 14, 1837, and was the son of James McKee, of Irish origin, his father being a native of Ireland and coming to America when sixteen years of age. The mother of James McKee (Isabel Fulton) came from Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. The subject of this sketch is the sixth of a family of ten children, of whom seven are now living, one sister, Anna K. (wife of D.N. Thompson) being in Bates County. His mother is living in Henry County, Iowa. Mr. McKee enjoyed more than average school facilities in youth, receiving a good common school education. He was also able to attend college for some little time. In the year 1859, he moved to Iowa with the familly, and lived for some years in Henry County. In 1864. he went across the plains, and until 1868, was engaged in freighting from the Missouri River to various points in Colorado and New Mexico. In 1869, leaving the plains he located near Pleasant Hill, in Cass County, but at the close of one summer he came to Bates County, securing a tract of 160 acres, on which he now lives. He has since been trading and now has a finely situated and well improved farm of 200 acres, three miles southeast of Butler. Mr. McKee handles quite an amount of stock, generally feeding about 100 head, and is now improving his stock, handling the short horn cattle and Poland China hogs. In 1873, February 24, he married Miss Sarah A. Hoffman, daughter of John H. Hoffman, of this county. She has one sister, Virginia (wife of G.C. Miller). They have three children: Mary Belle, Newton Wallace and James Fulton. Religiously, Mr. McKee is connected with the Presbyterian Church. He is a Greenbacker in politics, and in questions of education, morals, etc., is a man who shows mature thought and deliberation. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - J.M. McKibben, vice-president of the M.S. Cowles Mercantile Company, and a prominent business man of Bates County, is a native of Clinton County, Ohio, where he was born on the 2d day of May, 1841. His father, John C. McKibben, a native of Pennsylvania, was a cooper by trade. The maiden name of his mother was Eliza J. McCune, who was born in Ohio. In 1841, while the subject of this sketch was an infant, the family moved to Pike County, Illinois, where J.M. was reared. At the age of fifteen he commenced his mercantile experience, which he has since followed. In 1869 he came to Butler, Bates County, Missouri, and took a situation in the house of M.S. Cowles, and when the present company was organized and the house opened in this city, he transferred his services to this company, and his faithfulness as a merchant is evinced by the confidence reposed in him. Mr. McKibben was married in 1864, to Miss Hatie M. Lyon, of Pennsylvania, who was educated at the Harford University, of Pennsylvania. Mrs. McKibben has been closely identified with the educational interests of Butler, and for many years was one of its most competent and successful instructors, and it may almost be said that her father's family were natural born teachers, for out of a family of thirteen children, all were teachers and attained distinction in this calling. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCKIBBEN, James M.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James M. McKibben, of the firm of M.S. Cowles & Co., was born in Pike County, Illinois, August 25, 1847. He passed his younger days in the county of his birth, attending the public schools of Pittsfield, Illinois, where he received his education. In 1867 he came to Butler, Missouri, and was engaged in farming and stock raising near there for a period of five years. At this time he began clerking in the store of which he is now a member, and in 1877 he was admitted into partnership in the establishment. In 1880 he became manager of the Butler house. They occupy two store rooms under the Palace Hotel, and we can carefully make the assertion that no concern carries a heavier or more complete stock of goods in this line. Mr. McKibbon is a man well known to the public as enterprising and strictly honorable, courteous to patrons, and in social life a most genial companion. October 13, 1867, he was married to Miss Priscilla M. Cohenour, also of Pike County, Illinois. They have three children: Mabel, Lloyd, and Curtis E. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCKIBBEN, John Carpenter
Mt. Pleasant Township - John Carpenter McKibben was born in Clinton County, Ohio, August 11, 1808. While young he learned the carpenter's trade and became an excellent contractor and builder, following this occupation for many years. He also owned an excellent farm in Ohio, but selling out he moved to Pike County, Illinois, in 1841, then purchasing 800 acres of land near the county seat of Pike County. After improving this property and doing a successful business for six years, he disposed of his estate for a large price and came to Missouri and settled in this city in 1867, at which time he built a house, among the first in the town. May 23, 1833 he was married in Brown County, Ohio, to Miss Eliza Jane McCune, a daughter of Isaac McCune, of that county. They now have five children living, Isaac Granville, Joseph Marian, William Franklin, James Marcellus, and an adopted daughter, Hattie Maria. One daughter, Margaret, who maried M.S. Cowles, died February 17, 1877, leaving two children, of whom Marion A. is now living, and an infant is deceased. Politically Mr. McKibbon is a Republican. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church. His sons are mostly merchants, and are doing well. William Franklin was in the Forty-second Illinois Infantry during the war, and under Rosecrans, Sherman and Thomas. Isaac G., as a member of the state militia, assisted in driving Price from the state. Though commencing life without means, Mr. McK. has through his own efforts gained a good competency for himself and family and has been very successful. His wife was for many years afflicted with rheumatism and is now an invalid. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - E.T. McKim, surgeon and dentist, and a member of the firm of McBride & Co., was born in Lewis County, Missouri, December 29, 1849. His parents were Elisha McKim, who originally came from Kentucky, and Margaret (Dodge) McKim, a native of Virginia. E.T. was the fifth of eight children, and was reared and educated in Lewis County. He also attended Whittaker Institute, in Hickory County. In 1872, he began the study of dentistry with H. Akers, remaining under his supervision for two years. In 1874, he located at Humansville, and commenced the practice of his profession. He remained there four years, coming to Rockville in 1878, and here he followed his practice exclusively until two years ago, when he became a partner in the present firm of McBride & Co., druggists and grocers. Mr. McKim is the clerk of his township. He belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was married September 19, 1878, to Miss Rhoda J. Starkey, a native of Missouri; she died December 7, 1880, leaving one child, a little girl, Lillie May. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
East Boone Township - James McNeil was born at New Boston, New Hampshire, September 21, 1827. His parents, Peter and Mary (Stiles) McNeil, also being natives of New Hampshire. James is the sixth in a family of eleven children, of whom ten are still living. In 1849 he moved to New York, and taught school in Oswego one winter. Then he became engaged in working on the Delaware & Lackawanna Railroad and continued until 1858 at work on different roads, generally as foreman in charge of construction work. He was on the Michigan Southern, Rock Island and Missouri Pacific, and on the last named he was a contractor, building some miles himself. In 1858 Mr. McNeil determined to leave this business and sought a suitable location for a home. Coming to Bates County, he selected a tract of land on Mormon Fork, and began to improve a farm. He remained here until 1861, when he went east and stopped until 1870, then returning. He now has a tract of 850 acres of finely improved land near Burdett, with one of the cosiest homes in the county. He handles a large number of cattle, mules and hogs each year. He was married, September 5, 1852, to Miss Jane Wilson, a native of Wyoming County, Pennsylvania. They have had eleven children: Frank (who died in infancy), Addie J. (wife of L.W. Rosier, in Everett), John W. who married Alice Shorb in Coldwater, Thomas H., Alice L. (wife of W.S. Mudd), Lillie B. (died May 10, 1873), George D., Fred M., Annie E., Milo G. (died February 5, 1877), Merrett C. Mr. McNeil is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and, politically, is a Democrat. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
West Point Township - Andrew McNutt was born in Knox County, Ohio, June 30, 1850. His parents were Andrew and Phoebe (Sheffield) McNutt, both natives of New York. The subject of this sketch is the tenth in a family of twelve children, seven of whom are now living. In 1854 he was brought to Wright County, Iowa, where he received a good common school education and where he learned the carpenter's trade. From 1873 till 1878 he was in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Kansas and Nebraska, engaged in working at his trade. In 1878 Mr. McNutt came to Bates County, and settled in Elkhart Township. In November, 1880, he came to his present farm, which consists of 120 acres in section 11. He was married, July 18, 1879, to Miss Adrienne Pahud, a native of Virginia. They have two children: Roy and Ralph. Mr. McN. is a Mason, having joined that order at Minneapolis, Kansas. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MCREYNOLDS, Benjamin K.
Elkhart Township - Benjamin K. McReynolds was born in Butler County, Kentucky, March 8, 1835, and was the son of Benjamin Sheppard and Elizabeth (Askew) McReynolds. Benjamin is the third of six children, none of whom are in Bates County but himself. His father died when the son was a lad of twelve, and being the eldest boy at home, he was early compelled to take charge of the farm. He managed to secure a good education and was a school teacher for three or four years. In 1867 he came to Johnson County, Missouri, and bought a tract of land, and on the 7th of May of the next year he was married to Miss Ann Laura Hampton in his native county. They settled on land in Johnson County and lived there until February, 1880, when they came to Bates County. The farm now contains 320 acres, constituting the north half of section 2. They have seven children: Benjamin Hampton, William Wilson, Martha Ann, Mary E., Robert Bruce, Lydia Albenie and an infant. Mrs. McReynolds is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MEAD, William H.
Rockville Township - William H. Mead, druggist, was born in Henry County, Kentucky, January 5, 1851. His father, Shannon Mead, and also his mother, formerly Mary Voorhies, were both natives of Kentucky. William, the second of three sons, was reared in Henry County, and received his education at Smithfield College. He then engaged in teaching, and until 1873 taught in Kentucky and Missouri. Subsequently he took charge of the station at Smithfield, on the L.C. & L. Railroad, and filled this position until 1879, and at the same time conducted a drug and grocery business at the town of Smithfield. He was married while there, January 9, 1879, to Miss Bettie A. Ashby, of the same state. In 1880 they removed to Colorado, where Mr. M. was connected with a brick manufactory for some six months. In January, 1881, he located at Rockville, and opened a drug and grocery trade, but recently has changed to drugs exclusively. He carries the largest stock of drugs of any one in the town. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. Mr. and Mrs. M. have two children, Cora Lee and Edwin G. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MEAK, James R.
Deer Creek Township - James R. Meak was born June 23, 1828, in Hamilton County, Ohio. His father, a native of New York, married Miss Hannah Crain, originally from Ohio. James was the fifth of eight children, four sons and four daughters. When he was six years old he was taken to Illinois, where he was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. When twenty-two years of age he engaged in farming in Illinois, continued the same until 1869, and then went to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he followed butchering at Roscoe for one year. He resumed agricultural pursuits and also gave his attention to the burning of lime. He now owns two farms in St. Clair County, well improved. In 1881 he came to Adrian. He is possessed of twenty acres of land near the town, where he burns lime and ships it to different points. December 4, 1850, Mr. Meak married Miss Hulda A. Coffing, a native of Indiana. She was killed by lightning in St. Clair County, June 17, 1881. He was again married, October 29, 1881, to Susannah Sullins, of Missouri. His family consists of six children living: Abigail, Ruth A., Andrew, George, Emma and Luttie. He has lost two children. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MEEK, Andrew J.
Osage Township - Andrew J. Meek, dealer in groceries, Rich Hill, is a native of Andrew County, Missouri, where he was born February 22, 1846. When at the age of nine years he was brought by the family to Bates County, where he was reared in the occupation of farming. To this he gave his attention in Bates and Vernon Counties till October, 1880, when he came to Rich Hill, then embarking in the grocery business. Mr. Meek was married June 9, 1867, to Miss Julia Summers, who was born in Vernon County, Missouri. They have one child living, Charlie. In 1862, Mr. M. enlisted in the Confederate army, Company C, Sixteenth Missouri Regiment, and served until the close of the war. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.W. Meeker, general merchant at Sprague and a member of the well known firm of Meeker & Harriman, was born in 1849 in Lincoln County, Kentucky, and was the son of Alfred and Lucinda Meeker, nee Allen, natives of Franklin County, Ohio. They had a family of six children. Alfred Meeker died in Kansas, but his widow now resides in Sprague. J.W. grew up near Danville, in Boyles County, Kentucky, but obtained his education at Winchester, Ohio. He was married in Cooper County, Missouri, November 23, 1881, to Miss Sallie E. Stephens, who was born in 1854 in Cooper County, Missouri. She is the daughter of John H. and Margaret (Ewing) Stephens, Virginians by birth. After his marriage Mr. Meeker settled at Sprague and embarked in business. He carries a stock of goods valued at $6,000 and also deals in grain. He and his wife have one child, John H. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - H.M. Messersmith, farmer, was born in Fayette County, Indiana, July 25, 1838, and is the son of Jacob and Barbara (Ford) Messersmith, natives of Virginia. He lived there until fourteen years old, when his parents removed to Iowa. Remaining there one winter, they then settled in Putnam County, Missouri, and followed farming until 1861, when he entered the noted Putnam County Militia. He served in that until March, 1863, when he enlisted in Company E, 12th Missouri Cavalry, and was in the service until the spring of 1866. He soon came to Bates County, and has since been occupied in the calling of a farmer. His farm is on section three, and is in good condition, having upon it a fine bearing orchard. Mr. M. was married December 14, 1879, to Miss Melissa Belcher, a native of this county, where she was born December 8, 1858. They have one child, Arpha May, born June 16, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.J. Messinger, general merchant at Hume, came originally from Clinton County, Illinois, where he was born in December, 1851. John Messinger, his father, who was born in 1823, in Perry County, Pennsylvania, married Miss Sarah Kell, a native of the same county. They had been brought up there, and subsequently settled in Ohio, in 1846, moving to Illinois in 1850, and thence to Texas in 1860. The same year they took up a location in Neosho County, Kansas, where they now reside. John Messenger is a son of W.M. and Barbara Messinger, both originally from Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. The former was born in 1787, and is still living. The mother, who was born in 1790, died in 1875. The subject of this sketch was educated in Kansas, and gave his attention to farming there until coming to Hume, in 1880. He hauled the first load of stone for the purpose of building a stone structure in the place, and has otherwise improved the town. Mr. Messinger was married, October 3, 1875, to Miss Susan Pierce, born in Grayson County, Kentucky, in 1854. She was a daughter of Samuel and Ann Eliza Pierce nee Johnson, the former of Grayson County, born in 1827, and the latter of Edmonson County, Kentucky, born in 1830. They were married in 1847, subsequently lived in Grayson County, and in 1857 moved to Illinois, and in 1859 back to Kentucky. They returned to Illinois in 1865, and in 1867 went to Neosho County, Kansas, which is their present home. Mr. and Mrs. M. have a family of four children: Mattie S., born July 21, 1876; Cora E., born August 26, 1877; Jessie, born January 15, 1879, and Maggie, born July 20, 1882. Joseph F. was born January 16, 1881, and died on September 24 following. Mrs. Messinger is a member of the Catholic Church.(History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - Matt Millering, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Germany, in April, 1832. His father, Casper Millering, and his mother, formerly Catherine Wolford, were both of German nationality. They came to America when Matt was about thirteen years old, and lived for two years in St. Louis, Missouri, and then engaged in farming in St. Charles County, where they remained until Mr. Millering reached his majority. In 1855 he came to this county and entered the tract of land upon which he now lives. He married Miss Mary Wilker also of German birth. Then he began to improve the farm and worked by the month till the outbreak of the war, when he entered the service in Company C, Seventh Missouri, and participated in the battles of Lone Jack, Prairie Grove, Helena and Little Rock. Returning to Missouri he put forth every effort to make himself a comfortable home. His farm, consisting of over three hundred acres, lies in section 11 and he is now among the most substantial farmers of the county. In addition to his farm he owns a large grain house and three houses and lots in Rockville and a saw mill near town. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and holds his membership at Appleton City. His family consists of four children: Catherine E., John H., Clara E. and Rosetta. Four are deceased, William, and three who died in infancy. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Hugh Mills, merchant and proprietor of Crescent Hill House, was born in Knox County, Tennessee, December 2, 1806, being the son of James and Margaret (Creely) Mills, Virginians by birth. The former was a blacksmith by occupation. Hugh was the sixth of twelve children, five sons and seven daughters. He passed his boyhood days on the farm in Tennessee and was educated in the common schools. When eighteen years old he went to Alabama and lived with a brother-in-law for six years, after which he removed to Indiana, where he farmed from 1825 until 1841; thence to Grundy County, Missouri, where he was occupied in the hotel business for six years. In 1847 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and up to 1868 gave his attention to tilling the soil, when he located at Crescent Hill. Here he has since resided. He carries a stock of general merchandise and has a good trade. His hotel is one of the best in the township. Mr. Mills is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In December, 1829, he married Susie C. Ross, a native of Tennessee. Her death occurred August 30, 1866. He was again married November 6, 1870, to Sarah Duncan, of Virginia. Mr. M. has five children living: William, Sarah A., John H., Cynthia J. and Hugh Cass. He hs lost seven children: Thomas R., Margaret E., Samuel J., Robert M., Rebecca, Mary and James. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MILLS, John H.
Mt. Pleasant Township - John H. Mills, blacksmith, a native of Parke County, Indiana, was born November 26, 1837. He resided at his birth place till 1851, when, with the family he removed to Grundy County, Missouri, there engaging in farming till 1853. Then he began the trade of blacksmithing, which he has since followed. In 1857 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and worked at various points at his chosen calling. In 1859 he established himself in business at Butler. In 1861 he removed to Henry County, Missouri and one year later went to Pettis County, there remaining four months. After this he was a resident of Johnson County, Missouri, till the spring of 1866, when he returned to Butler and commenced his present business. He owns the property where he carries on his shop, besides a residence and lot in the city. Mr. Mills was married October 12, 1862, to Miss Nannie Hart. They have two children, William and Flora B. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. of Butler. He is a skilled mechanic and is having a satisfactory patronage from the people of this vicinity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MITCHELL, Benjamin Franklin
Mt. Pleasant Township - Benjamin Franklin Mitchell, proprietor of the Bates County Nursery, was born in Franklin County, Ohio, November 22, 1839. His father, Ebenezer Mitchell, and his mother, whose maiden name was Msary Shofe, were both born in Ohio. In 1852, the family moved to Fulton County, Illinois, and improved a farm. After becoming of age Benjamin F. purchased a small farm, and upon working it a few years sold out and came to Bates County, Missouri, in 1869, buying a raw prairie farm. Upon this he made some improvements, sold out and bought 160 acres of land in Boone Township, which he also improved. In 1875, he came into possession of the Bates County Nursery, and moved into the city. In the meantime, he purchased 160 acres of land in Linn County, Kansas, and has made of it a good farm. He hs erected a good residence on his home property, and has five good residences on his country property. Mr. Mitchell came to this state poor, but with a determination to succeed, and he has been fortunate in securing a competency. With seven acres devoted to a nursery, with all the varieties of apples, peaches, pears and all kinds of choice small fruits and shrubbery, and the owner of several good farms, he is sufficiently able to live the remainder of his life retired from active labor. He was married in 1866, to Elizabeth A. McNamae, of Highland County, Ohio. They have one child, Tarrillous Smith, born June 13, 1872. Mr. M. is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and his family belong to the United Brethren denomination. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - Orrin Mitchell, real estate agent and proprietor of hotel, was born September 7, 1821, in Chatham County, North Carolina, and was the son of Wyatt and Nancy (Daniels) Mitchell, natives of the same county. The former was born in 1783 and the latter, August 23, 1797, and died in 1880 in Bates County. They were married in 1815. About the year 1821 Wyatt Mitchell left home on a business trip and from some unknown cause never returned home. Orrin was reared in Davidson County, North Carolina, obtaining his education at Randolph Institute of Randolph County. For many years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Salem where he was married on January 25, 1848, to Miss Lisetta C. Hine who was born November 26, 1829, in Forsythe County, North Carolina. Her parents were Henry and mary Hine. After his marriage Mr. Mitchell located at Salem, North Carolina, remaining there until 1859, when he came to Missouri and took up his residence in Johnson County; there he improved a fine farm. In 1874 Bates County became his home and here he also placed a farm under cultivation. In 1881 he moved into Hume and commenced the real estate business and conducting a hotel. He served the people of the vicinity as a justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. M. have four children living: Mary L. (wife of John H. Hine), born July 8, 1851; Sarah J. (wife of J.A. Askren), born December 11, 1853; F.E., born April 25, 1850; and Laura C., born October 18, 1864. They are members of the M.E. Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Prairie Township - Levi Moler, dealer in stock, was born in Nicholas County, Kentucky, February 6, 1845, and was the son of John Moler, a Kentuckian by birth and a farmer by occupation. Levi accompanied his parents to Putnam County, Indiana, when but eight years old and there he remained for sixteen years. He received a somewhat limited education, though for a year he attended Waveland College, which he entered in 1868. In 1869 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and here he commenced his business career. He owns 320 acres of good land, located on sections 5 and 8. During the years 1876-7 Mr. Moler was judge of the county court, and he was also elected to the Thirtieth General Assembly of the state legislature, receiving 1,056 votes to 912 over Wiley Crows, greenbacker, and eleven to W.M. Taggart. Politically he is a Democrat. He is connected with the Kansas Missouri Coal and Land Company, and is a man highly respected in this vicinity by all who know him. He belongs to the A.F. and A.M. order, and is master of lodge No. 140, at Papinville. He is unmarried, and for ten years his household affairs have been managed by his widowed sister, Mrs. Burnside. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MOORE, John D.
Jno. D. Moore, Rich Hill - Born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 21st, 1855. Came to Missouri in 1858, went to Illinois in 1863 and lived there until 1870 when his farm located in Vernon County. Came to Bates County in April, 1877, and took charge of the Rich Hill School (old Rich Hill). Was the Rich Hill correspondent of the Bates County Record in 1877, at which time the coal fields were beginning to attract the attention of capital and the papers were using their best efforts to attract the attention of the railroad people to the advantages of a railroad through Bates County. Farmed in summer and taught school in winter until twenty-five years old. Was principal of the East side school at Rich Hill in 1882-83 and soon after the close of that school year, engaged in the real estate and insurance business at Rich Hill and is still engaged in that business. Vice-President of the Farmers and Manfacturers' Bank and Secretary of the Rich Hill Fair. (Bates County, Missouri History, 1821-1900)
MOORE, John D.
Jno. D. Moore, Rich Hill, Mo. Bornin Tuscarawas County, Ohio, February 21st, 1855. Came to Missouri in 1858, went to Illinois in 1863 and lived there until 1870 when his family located in Vernon County. Came to Bates County in April, 1877, and took charge of the Rich Hill School (old Rich Hill). Was the Rich Hill correspondent of the Bates County Record in 1877, at which time the coal fields were beginning to attract the attention of capital and the papers were using their best efforts to attract the attention of railroad people to the advantages of a railroad through Bates County. Farmed in summer and taught school in winter until twenty-five years old. Was principal of the East side school at Rich Hill in 1882-3 and soon after the close of that school year, engaged in the real estate and insurance business at Rich Hill and is still engaged in that business. Vice-President of the Farmers and Manufacturer's Bank and Secretary of the Rich Hill Fair. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
MOORE, L.L. & C.H.
Shawnee Township - L.L. & C.H. Moore, farmers and stock growers, are sons of William Moore, a native of Kentucky, who settled in Missouri about 1845. His wife (formerly Jane McCombs) was also a Kentuckian by birth. L.L. was born in Pettis County, Missouri, July 15, 1853, and Charles on August 26, 1858. They were both raised to the labors of the farmer, receiving their education in the county schools. The elder brother acquired an interest in the stock of the farm when he became of age, and continued there until 1878, when he moved to Bates County. He was married the following year, May 29, to Miss Laura Laux, a native of Scotland County, born January 8, 1856. They have two children: Percy L. and Gertie C. When Charles was nineteen his father died, and he had charge of the home farm until 1880, when he also came to Bates. The two joined forces, and are now doing an extensive farming and stock business. The farm contains 325 acres of admirable farming land, and in addition to buying and shipping stock they feed eighty head of cattle, fifty hogs, and keep about a dozen horses. Charles was recently married, on October 11, 1882, to Miss Anna M. Nuckols, of Shelby County, Kentucky, where she was born December 2, 1858. The older brother, L.L. Moore, was elected a justice of the peace at the election in the spring of 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MOORE, Lewis W.
The subject of this sketch enjoys the distinction of being the youngest and most successful editor of a country paper in Missouri, having commenced his career as proprietor and editor of the Hume Telephone at the age of 16 years. Mr. Moore is a native Missourian. From the extreme tenderness of his youth he bears the euphonious title of "The Kid", but his sober and intelligent editorials make the appellation respectable. The motto at the head of his paper, viz: "A live, independent journal devoted to spreading the news and earning a few dollars in cash", embodies the warp and woof of his life's effort. Through manly foresight, judicious advertising and a ready pen, his paper has been rescued from the quicksands of disaster, while in other hands, and placed among the substantial newspapers of the state. His quaint aphorisms, unique questions, scientific deductions, sarcastic and cutting paragraphs are now being copied by leading papers everywhere. In addition to the business of his own office, he does special or detail work for several well known eastern publishing houses. In a social way Mr. Moore is something of a curiosity. Sedate as a preacher and comical as a clown, never forgetting the maxim that evil communications corrupt good manners. He is widely known and pleasantly spoken of by a respectable number of the fraternity, and nothing but a misfortune will prevent him from reaching the peaks longed for by the journalistic world. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
MORGAN, James Harrison
Mt. Pleasant Township - James Harrison Morgan, city marshal, was born in Kosciusko County, Indiana, August 4, 1838, being the son of Griffith Morgan, who was born in Wales, and Jane (Humphrey) Morgan, a native of England. They were married there and had nine children, James being the seventh son. He received a good common school education, and learned the carpenter's trade when fifteen years old, at which he worked until crossing the plains and going to California in 1858. He remained there until the winter of 1870, being at work a part of the time in the mines of Nevada. He was in Sacramento, Los Angelos, and many other places. After his return to Indiana he was sent to Kansas to settle an estate, which was satisfactorily executed. In 1872, he came to Missouri and located in Butler, where he has since lived. In 1880, Mr. M. was appointed city marshal, and has been elected twice since that period. He is one of a few men who are well adapted to their calling, and without doubt he is the right man in the right place, and as an efficient, capable officer has the confidence of all. Mr. M. married Miss Sallie A. Wood, January 25, 1880. She is the daughter of E.H. Wood, of Warren County, Indiana. Her mother was formerly Harriet M. Tyler. They have one child, Harrison Clyde. Mr. Morgan is a Republican in his political preferences, and religiously a Methodist, in which church he holds his membership. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Joseph Morgan, farmer, section 28, was born in Adams County, Illinois, March 3, 1849. His father, John Morgan, was a native of Indiana, and a farmer by occupation. His mother's maiden name was Miss Buttler, originally from Kentucky. John was their only child. He grew up on a farm and received his education in the common schools. When eleven years of age he began work, for an uncle, with whom he lived about one year, after which time he worked in the neighborhood until twenty years of age. Then he was engaged in farming in Illinois until 1873, when he came to Bates County, Missouri. His farm contains eighty acres of some of the best land in the county, with good improvements, fine young orchard, etc. December 24, 1876, Mr. Morgan married Miss Julia A. Roup, a native of Missouri. They have two children: Thomas E., James Lee. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.M. Morrell, farmer, section 21, located upon the farm which he now occupies in 1874. He was born in 1839, in Illinois, and grew up in Pike County, of that state. In 1861 he took a trip to California, and was there engaged in mining, finally returning to the states in 1869, from which time he gave his attention to farming and stock raising. He made his home in Bourbon County, Kansas, for a while, and from there went to Vernon County, Missouri, coming thence to this county in 1874. His farm contains 160 acres of land, upon which are good buildings. Mr. Morrell was married March 19, 1870, to Mrs. Mary A. Whailing, whose maiden name was Lawrence. She was a native of England, but was reared in this country. They have a family of three children: Anna, Willie and Alice. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - S. Morrell, proprietor of livery stable at Hume, owes his nativity to Pike County, Illinois, where he was born in 1856. His parents were Elbridge and Margaret Morrell. His father, who was born in Delaware, lived for a time in Ohio, and finally settled in Illinois, where he was married, his wife being a native of that state. Our subject was raised on a farm in Bourbon County, Kansas, and there received a good education. He married Miss Sarah Messinger, also originally from Illinois, and a sister of J.J. Messinger, of this township. Mr. and Mrs. Morrell have two children, Ethel Iona and John. In May, 1881, Mr. M. came to Hume, and the success which he has attained in his present business is no more than a fit result of industry and honesty, and only such as he deserves. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MORRIS, Joel W., M.D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Joel W. Morris, M.D., druggist and stationer, came originally from Canada, where he was born May 12, 1834. He grew to manhood and received his education in that country, and in 1865 emigrated to Caldwell County, Missouri. There he began the study of medicine under Dr. Johnston, at Kingston, and in 1866-7 he attended the Michigan University at Ann Arbor. In 1868-9 he was a student at the Rush Medical College of Chicago, from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1869. In the fall of that year he moved to Austin, Cass County, Missouri, and besides following the practice of his profession conducted a drug store. This he continued until 1872. Going to Independence, Kansas, he was engaged in the drug trade there until 1874, when he came to Butler and established his present business. The doctor is a thoroughly competent pharmacist and well fitted for his chosen calling in life. He was married April 7, 1869, to Miss C. Carrow, and by this union they have one child, Arthur. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
MORRISON, Charles H.
Charlotte Township - Charles H. Morrison, farmer, section 29, was born in Lee County, Iowa, on the 9th of November, 1849, and was the son of Arthur and Keza (Vorhers) Morrison, the former a Virginian by birth and the latter a native of Ohio. They early settled in Lee County, where the senior Morrison died when his son was about one year old. The mother then moved to McDonough County, Illinois, with her father, where Charles grew to manhood, starting out in life as a farmer. He was married in 1873 to Miss Mary V. McElroy, a native of Fulton County, Illinois, and a daughter of Thomas H. and Elizabeth (Humphrey) McElroy. In October, 1874, Mr. Morrison settled where he now resides, coming from Fulton County, Illinois. His well improved farm contains 115 acres. He and his wife have three children: Minnie L., Flora E., and Elizabeth A. One, Thomas A., is deceased. They are both members of the U.B. Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Henry Moudy, senior member of the firm of H. Moudy & Co., was born in Hendricks County, Indiana, August 17, 1847. His father, John Moudy, a native of Shelby County, Kentucky, was born February 16, 1824, and was a son of Henry Moudy, originally from Maryland, and Matilda (Rogers) Moudy, a Virginian by birth. In 1835 John removed to Indiana with his parents, and was there reared to manhood. His father died in 1840, and he remained with his mother until twenty-two years old, when he engaged in farming in Indiana. This he continued until 1856, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, but after one summer went to Illinois, spending one winter there. He returned to Missouri, where he stopped until 1861, when he enlisted in the Missouri Home Guards, and in the fall of that year he took his family to Paola, Kansas, where they stayed until the close of the war. Mr. M. opened the first public road through Deer Creek Township. He is a member of Crescent Hill Lodge, No. 368, A.F. and A.M., and was treasurer of the lodge for a number of years. He was the first member of the Missionary Baptist Church who settled in this township. He was married, October 15, 1845, to Miss Sarah A. Gentry, a native of Kentucky. Her death occurred May 15, 1853. August 7, 1853, he was married to Mrs. Mary Alexander, a daughter of Moses Huff. Mr. Moudy is the father of ten children, seven of whom are living: Nancy (now Mrs. Wager), Henry, Alford, Austin, Charles and Elma (now Mrs. Ewing). Three are deceased: Sarah Eveline, Ida and Anna Eliza. Henry Moudy, the subject of this sketch, has been one of the leading men of the county since he arrived at manhood, following farming, trading in stock, and the grain business. The firm of which he is a member owns a farm of 320 acres, upon which is a good house, barn and orchard. There underlies it a fine coal bank that has been worked for a number of years. The coal is the best quality and is found in paying quantities. This place is one of the best for stock purposes in the county. During the fall of 1882 they were feeding 215 head of cattle and 200 head of hogs. Mr. M. was township clerk for three years. He is a member of Crescent Hill Lodge, No. 368, A.F. and A.M. Miami Chapter, No. 76, and Bayard Commandery, No. 28, of Harrisonville. He was married, July 3, 1873, to Miss M.E. Swain, a daughter of G.W. and Mary Swain, of Indiana. They have two children: Elvin Grant and Elliott Garfield. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - The subject of this sketch was born June 2, 1850, in Hendricks County, Indiana, his father being John Moudy, whose biography may be seen in the sketch of Henry Moudy. Nelson remained with his father on the farm in Illinois until 1856, when they removed to Bates County. After remaining a short time they retraced their steps to Illinois and spent the winter. In the spring they returned to Missouri, where Nelson has since resided, except for five years during the war, which time was spent in Kansas. In 1868 Mr. M. engaged in business at Crescent Hill, with his brothers, the firm being H. Moudy & Co. There they continued to be located until 1880, when they came to Adrian. They built the first house in the town and brought the first stock of goods into the place. They now carry a large stock of dry goods, groceries, drugs and farming implements, and also deal extensively in stock and grain. Mr. M. is one of the most wide-awake and enterprising business men of the town. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. May 14, 1882, he was married to Miss Emma Cox, the accomplished daughter of A.D. Cox, of Illinois. They own one of the neatest residences in Adrian. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
The subject of this sketch was born in Larue County, Ky., on March 27, 1852. Was educated in the common schools, and attended the Hodgensville Academy. Came to Bates County, Mo., in 1873 and settled near Burdette. Went to Pacific coast in 1883, returned in 1885, and went out again in 1888 and returned in 1891. While out there he was engaged in contracting on railroad and other public works. Was married to Miss Amanda Stillwell in 1874. Has always been a democrat. In 1896 was nominated and elected sheriff by the democracy. Was re-elected in 1898, and is at this time Sheriff of Bates County. As a public official "Shelt" Mudd, as he is familiarly called, is popular with the people, and as a man and citizen he has a large circle of admirers and friends. He is fearless in the discharge of his public duties, companionable and generous in the private relations of life. Faithful to his friends, respectful to every body, it is not remarkable that he is popular as a public officer. His term of office will expire January 1st, 1901. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Deer Creek Township - John Murphy, farmer and stock raiser, section 14, was born in Ireland January 18, 1835, being the son of Patrick Murphy, also a native of Ireland. John remained with his father at home until 1849 when he emigrated to America, stopping in Saline County, Missouri, for a time. There he worked on a farm until 1852 when he visited California, crossing the plains in an ox wagon. Until 1856 he was occupied in mining in that locality. In that year he returned to Saline County, from whence, after remaining one summer, he came to Bates County, resuming his farming operations. His farm now contains 440 acres of which 400 acres are in cultivation. This is well improved, with a good house, barn and orchard. Mr. M. is one of the largest stock feeders in the township. He is a man of great energy. Starting in life a poor boy he has by his own efforts become one of the foremost men in the county. He enlisted in the fall of 1861 in the Missouri State Guards. He has held the offices of school director and road overseer. April 12, 1858, Mr. Murphy married Miss M.O. Mitchell, a native of Missouri. She died October 29, 1875, leaving three children: Harman, Walter and Annie. They lost three children: Margaret, John N. and Joseph.(History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)