Bates County Biographies
PACE, James L.
Mt. Pleasant Township - The subject of this sketch is one of Butler's most enterprising citizens and a man who has probably done fully as much toward making Bates County, Missouri, what it now is any man here. He is a native of St. Clair County, Missouri, where he was born March 13, 1834. His father, James Pace, was born in Henry County, Virginia in 1807. He was there reared and married Miss Mildred Davis. They had five children of whom Jame L. was the third child. He grew to manhood and was educated in the county of his birth, and at the age of eighteen years, in 1861, he enlisted in Company C. of Colonel John T. Coffer's Regiment, Missouri State Guards. In 1862 he enlisted in the regular service (the company remaining the same) in Joe Shelby's Brigade, under General Marmaduke's Division and Regiment. Thus he served till 1864. After that time he was on the disabled list until the close of the war. Mr. P. was twice wounded - first at Unionville, Missouri, in 1862, where he received a wound over the eye, causign a fracture of the skull. While on the retreat at the battle of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, he was wounded in the arm and through the body by one shot. At the close of the war he went to Saline County, Missouri, and for two years was engaged in farming. He then gave his attention to mercantile pursuits and stock dealing at Longwood, Pettis County, for two years, fter which time he located at Altona, Bates County. There he was interested in trade for three years. In 1874 he was elected to the office of Recorder of Bates County which he held till 1883. He has twice been city alderman of Butler and has been director of the city schools. He is now a member of the Masonic fraternity and belongs to the blue lodge, chapter and commandery. Mr. Pace was married March 18, 1868, to Miss Mary Hyeronymus, a native of Missouri. They have one daughter, Ada. Mr. P., during his term of service as county recorder made a most excellent officer. He has won a host of friends while a resident of the county by his affable and courteous demeanor and is a man respected by all. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PAGE, Ava E.
Hudson Township - Ava E. Page, section 8, is one of the enterprising men of Hudson Township. He was born in Livingston County, New York, January 5, 1834. His parents, Albert and Jerusha (Tyler) Page, were both natives of Connecticut; the former was born March 31, 1800. He moved to New York with his parents when a young man, where he grew to manhood and married. He filled numerous local offices in his county during his lifetime. He died in August, 1876. Ava E. passed his younger days in his native county, on the farm and attending the public schools. When seventeen years of age he taught a winter term of school, and in the spring of 1852 he commenced a scientific course of study at the Wesleyan College at Lima, New York. In 1854, after finishing his collegiate studies, he went to Kentucky, and in the fall of the same year became a resident of Tennessee. There he engaged in teaching for two years. In January, 1857, Mr. Page moved to Wisconsin and located at Milwaukee, where he was appointed deputy sheriff, serving in that capacity two years. He came to Missouri in May, 1859, and upon settling in Bates County, bought land in Hudson Township. He purchased his present farm in 1866, and now owns 270 acres, all under fence, with 190 acres in cultivation, and eighty acres of timber. This farm is well improved. His large residence and basement barn, with convenient outbuildings are well arranged, and he has an orchard of some 500 bearing apple trees, besides peaches, plums and pears. He is also engaged in the stock business. Mr. Page was married in Henry County, August 1, 1861, to Miss Mary E. Robards, of New York City, and a daughter of the Rev. Israel Robards, of Scotch descent. Mrs. Page moved to Missouri with her parents when eight years of age. She returned, however to her native state and was educated at Rochester, New York. Mr. P. enlisted in the Sixtieth Missouri Cavalry, and was Lieutenant of Company C, during the war. He participated in numerous skirmishes and was in the engagement at Marshal, in Saline County. He was appointed one of the county judges, in 1864, and served as presiding judge for two years. He is identified with the Republican party, and has been elected a delegate to the state convention at various times, and has filled different local offices. He is also prominent in the Grange movement, and has filled numerous official positions in this order. He was appointed by the executive committtee as one of the state lecturers of this order. He belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and is past master workman in this order. Mr. and Mrs. Page have four children: Florence I., C.A. Clifford, Herbert E., and Minnie. Mrs. P. is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PAGE, Edward E.
Hudson Township - Edward E. Page, section 1, is a native of New York and was born in Livingston County February 6, 1841. His father, Albert Page, was born in Connecticut March 31, 1800, and his mother, formerly Abigail Hanford, came originally from Saratoga County, New York. Albert Page grew to manhood and was married in New York. He filled several local offices during his lifetime, and died in September, 1876, on the farm where he had lived for over half a century - the place where he located before his marriage and which he improved himself. Edward spent his youth in the county of his birth on the farm and at the public schools. When seventeen years of age he went to Michigan, and was engaged in working on a farm most of the time for six years in different counties. In 1865 he visited Kansas, and in one year, in the spring of 1876, he came to Bates County, Missouri, and bought land and improved his present farm. His place consists of 120 acres, mostly fenced, with a fine orchard of 600 trees, including apple, about 200 peach and a variety of small fruits. Mr. Page is quite extensively engaged in the dairy business and has some good stock. He was married in Kent County, Michigan, October 5, 1863, to Miss Anna Bennett, a daughter of George Bennett. She is also a native of Livingston County and was born in the town of Portage, where she was raised and educated and where she was engaged in teaching for a number of years. Mr. and Mrs. P. have six children: Harry O., Jay A., Dick E., Frank, Daisy A. and Clara. He is a member of the United Workmen. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PAGE, Louis F.
Deer Creek Township - Louis F. Page was born in McHenry County, Illinois, August 15, 1852. His father, Reed Page, was a native of New Hampshire, and early removed to Illinois, where he was married, in 1840, to Miss Mary E. Lillibridge, of Pennsylvania. They had three sons and one daughter, of whom Louis was the youngest child. When he was two years old his father died, and his mother moved to Marengo, Illinois, where he attended the schools of the town. After this he was a student at the Chicago University and the law department of the State University at Ann Arbor, Michigan. In 1873 he came to Butler, where he was admitted to the bar, and practiced law with his brother for five years. In 1878 he was located at Hastings, Nebraska, and there practiced for six months. Returning to Bates County, he engaged in farming. His farm now contains 460 acres of the best of land, surrounded and sub-divided with good fences. The improvements are excellent; his house is one of the best farm houses in the county, and was built in 1879 at a cost of $2,200. He also owns a large farm in Kansas and one in Barton County, Missouri. Mr. Page deals extensively in stock and real estate. He is vice-president of the Adrian Bank and a member of Butler Lodge, No. 254, A.F. and A.M., and Miami Royal Arch Chapter, No. 76. He was married to Miss Emma Mopes, a native of Illinois, September 6, 1880. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - John Pardee, farmer and stockman, resides on section 19, where he has lived since 1850, and where he has a farm of 180 acres, well improved with a good orchard. This land he entered himself. When he came here his post office was at Harrisonville. His father, Philo Pardee, a native of Connecticut, and a blacksmith by trade, died when the son was an infant, and he was reared by his grandfather, Joseph Montgomery, and with him went to Indiana in 1832, where he lived until coming to Missouri, and where he received a limited education in subscription schools. His mother was formerly Rachel Montgomery, a native of Wythe County, Virginia, where John was also born May 27, 1820. Of a family of two brothers and one sister he is the second child. He was married February 14, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth Murray, a native of Ohio. During the war he served for a time in the home guards and then went to Osawatomie, Kansas, where his wife died October 24, 1864, leaving one child, Joseph William. Mr. Pardee was married again November 17, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth C. James, a Kentuckian by birth. They have two children: James S. and Samuel M. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Charlotte Township - A.J. Park, farmer and stock raiser, section 19, a native of Licking County, Ohio, was born May 20, 1832. His father, Timothy Park, of Hampshire County, Virginia, was born December 7, 1803, and in 1823 removed to Licking County, Ohio, where he married Miss Nancy J. Hillbrant, of that county, born April 28, 1810. Mr. Park died September 3, 1875, and his wife July 15, 1876. Their family consisted of six children, A.J. being the eldest son and third child. In 1834 he was taken to Northern Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and for two years he attended college at Westerville, supplementing this course by attendance at the Seneca Academy, of Tiffin, Ohio. July 4, 1860, he married Miss Sarah J. Wolfe, who was born in Seneca County, Ohio, April 29, 1835. She was the daughter of James and Marcelous (Shoukwiler) Wolfe, the former of Ross County, Ohio, born October 5, 1804, died September 14, 1869, and the latter of Pike County, same state, born July 26, 1808. They were married October 5, 1825. Mrs. P. was educated at the Seneca Academy. In 1870 Mr. Park located in Bates County, Missouri, and now has a good farm of 480 acres; well improved. He and his wife have two children: Alton J., born September 5, 1861, and Minnie J., born August 3, 1871. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PARKER, Green B.
Summit Township - Green B. Parker, the subject of this sketch, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Henry County, December 25, 1845. His parents were Benjamin G. Parker, a native of North Carolina, and Susana (Hudson) Parker, a Kentuckian by birth. Benjamin G. moved to Missouri in the fall of 1830, and located in Henry County, and was among the first settlers of the county. Green Parker, his son, spent his youth on the home farm, and was a student at the common schools. He was married in his native county, March 6, 1870, to Rachel J. Gutridge, daughter of Elijah Gutridge. She was born in Ohio. After this, Mr. P. was engaged in farming for about two years, and in the fall of 1872 he moved to Bates County. In the fall of 1878 he came upon his present farm. He has 130 acres of land, all fenced, with fair improvements, a good house and barn and a young orchard. He resides on section 13. He is Democratic in politics, and was elected collector of his township in the spring of 1881. He takes great interest in educational matters, and is the director of his school district and acted in the same capacity in his district in Henry County. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have six children: Claudius E., Benjamin E., Lucinda F., Melvin G., William R. and Elizabeth. Mr. Parker is a member of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PATTISON, Thomas W.
West Point Township - Thomas W. Pattison, township clerk and assessor, was born in Guernsey County, Ohio, March 29, 1829. His father was Samuel Pattison, a native of Virginia, and his mother, was formerly Martha Alexander, of Pennsylvania. Thomas is the fifth of eleven children, five of whom are living. They are: Jane McGaw, of Homer Township; Alexander, in Madison County, Iowa; Susan Speck, in Ringgold County, Iowa, and Sarah A. Patterson, in Monmouth, Illinois, with whom his mother is now living, at the advanced age of eighty years. One brother John is at Keithburg, Illinois. Mr. Pattison was married in Sangamon County, Illinois, March 29, 1853, to Miss Ann R. Crawford. In 1854 he removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he lived seven years, when he began the carpenter trade, at which he has worked ever since. In 1861 he returned to Illinois and lived in Monmouth seven years. In 1869 he came to Peculiar, Cass County, and after three years there, settled where he now lives in West Point Township. Mr. and Mrs. Pattison have reared one child, Edward K. Pattison, who married Galathus I. Sankey, now living in Kansas, and a little girl of nine years, Anna Coldsmith. Mr. Pattison has spent a portion of his life, serving in the capacity of a school teacher. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PATTY, James M.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James M. Patty, stock dealer and shipper, was born in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, on December 27, 1831. His father, Eli Patty, came originially from North Carolina, and when eighteen years of age removed to Ohio, and from thence to Tippecanoe County, Indiana, in 1820. He was there married to Miss Catherine Guyun, a Virginian by birth. They had seven children, of whom James was the sixth child. He remained at his birthplace until fifteen years of age, when he went to Vermillion County, Indiana, passing his youth and early manhood there, and also completing his education, after which he engaged in farming. In 1847 he removed to Miami County, Indiana, and six months later returned to Georgetown, Vermillion County, where he was interested in agricultural pursuits and dealing in stock. In the year 1865 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and resumed his former occupation, near Butler. Of late he has resided in the city, and has devoted his entire attention to the stoc business, in which he hs met with satisfactory financial success. He is one of the directors of the Bates County National Bank, and was one of the projectors and stockholders of the Bates County Republican, of which he has been president since its organization. Mr. Patty was married, September 27, 1851, to Miss Catherine Campbell, who was born in Tennessee. They have four children living: Mary E., Jennie L., Alexander, and William M. Mr. P. is a member of the A.O.U.W. of Butler. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
New Home Township - Peter Pearson was born in Bolton Parish, County Cumberland, England, April 1, 1836, his parents being George and Margaret (Brown) Pearson. His wife was formerly a Miss Mary Jane Willis, to whom he was married July 24, 1861. They have ten children: Thomas Willis, George Brown, Robert, Mark, Isaac Becket, Margaret Hannah, Mary Elizabeth, John Joseph, James Daniel and Esther Jane. When nine years old, Mr. Pearson began work in the mines of his native county, in the capacity of "trapper", and passed through all the various departments of coal mining, so that he became thoroughly familiarized with the entire work. In 1869, he immigrated to America, and worked at Massillon, Ohio, for several months. Moving to O'Fallon, St. Charles County, Missouri, he remained one year, and thence to Alma, Illinois, where he stopped until July, 1880. Then he came to Rich Hill, and has since been employed in various capacities in the mines, digging coal, laying track, etc. At present he has charge of the timber work in Mine No. 1. Mr. Pearson is a member of the Free Methodist Church, and is a man of considerable general information. In Illinois he was licensed to preach, since which time he has filled local appointments. He is taking great interest in educational matters, and it is mainly through his influence that the miner's children have such good facilities as they have, and his work is doing much to elevate the mining class, in advancing the cause of education, temperance and morality. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PECK, John Henry, John Thomas & Robert
History of the Peck Family - (Including JOHN HENRY PECK, father of JOHN THOMS PECK and JAMES and ROBERT PECK)
John Thomas Peck, was born on May 1st 1832 in Staunton Virginia and came to Missouri and located in Bates County on Mormon Fork in 1837, on a farm in the North West part of the county. John married Susan Jane Stanford on August 23rd, 1855 in Butler, Missouri. Susan was born on January 2nd, 1840 near the White River, in Taney County, Arkansas. In 1862 John & Susan were compelled to leave their farm on account of the Kansas Red Legs, who invaded the County which made it dangerous for the men in that part of the State. By this time they had three children, Wyatt Sanford Peck, Mary F. Peck, and James Pickeyune Peck. At sundown on an October evening in 1862 they left the farm and went to William B. Irwin's in Saline County, Missouri. In 1863 John rented the Dan Trigg farm. That spring John planted a large field of corn and sowed a field of hemp, both yielding a large crop, which sold for a good price. In the spring of 1864 John moved to Dr. Martin's farm in a two room house. While there, Joe Sanford gave Wyatt S. Peck a little bay pony. In the same year, on June 15th, John headed for California with one wagon driven by three yoke of oxen, one yoke were cows which gave milk all the way across the plains. He also had a carryall for the family to ride in, which was drawn by two horses. At that time there were John & Susan, and there children: Wyatt, Mollie, James and William Lee (who was only three weeks old). There were also two colored people Bob and Fanny, who did the cooking and Bob drove the ox team. On our way to California, we could not cross the Platte River owing to high water so father journey on to Denver, Colorado arriving there in the later part of July. On the trail across the plains, the Indians were very hostile and were massacring the whites in great number. At Fort Kearney we were stopped until we had 100 armed men in the train, which made it safe for us to journey on across the plains. On our journey we saw men who had been killed by the Indians arrows still in them. The cooking was done on a sheet iron stove the wood consisted of buffalo chips which we picked up on the roadside. Arriving at Denver in July, James was taken sick and after a few days lingering he passed away and was buried in a Denver cemetery. Shortly after that father went about 40 miles north to the Senvorange River where he put up much hay. When he was through putting the hay in ricks he went up in the mountains and bought a hotel called an Inn. There were 12 rooms in the Inn. It was on the roadside 10 miles above Golden Gate. This inn was on the side of the mountain in a lovely place with no other houses for miles. This inn received many travelers from all parts of the U.S. who had gone west on account of the Rebellion of 1861 between the North and South. In May of 1865, father was taken down with what was called Mountain fever and was confined to bed for some weeks. After his recovery he sold the inn and made a trip to the head of the Blue River where the hydraulic water works were used to search for Gold by using water in a powerful way to wash away the dirt and stones. A sight never to be forgotten. Peace being made between the North and South, father decided to return to his farm in Bates County, Missouri. After many hardships, we arrived at the farm and the house barn and fences all had been destroyed. Not having the heart to improve it again, he sold it and went to Kansas City about November of 1862. On January 20th twins were born in McGees addition K.C. MO. In the fall of 1866, Grandfather came to K.C. from Searcy Ark. and induced father and mother to go to Searcy and take charge of a farm 10 miles from town it being cotton picking time, requiring the help of many Negroes. The ginning of the cotton was done in a crude way with the aid of a cotton gin and the power was a 1 horse sweep. Father no being satisfied in that country decided to return to MO. So on December 25th Christmas day he started back to MO, and a days drive found us in a raging snow storm. On the morning of the 26th, the snow was so deep it was unsafe to continue on our journey, so father returned to Searcy and sold all the stock wagons harness and Wyatts pony, receiving $100 for the pony, Grandfather Sanford bought the pony. About March 1st, we took passage on a boat at Searcy down the Little Red River to the Mississippi where we changed to the Belle of Memphis for St. Louis. On our way up the Mississippi there was much floating ice which hindered the progress of the boat. Arriving at St. Louis, we took a train for Sedalia, MO, where father bought a span of mules and a wagon and started to Bates County, camping out on the way, about the 1st of April 1867. We arrived at Mrs. Simpson's farm 10 miles east of Butler, the County Seat of Bates Co. MO. There father bought 100 acres of land which we improved into a farm. In October 20th 1867, little Estell was born on the farm. In 1883, father sold the farm and moved to Carthage, Jasper Co, MO. where he bought two houses on the eastern part of town. In the Spring of 1884, we moved to Sedalia MO, and in the spring of 1885 we went to Kansas City, and then bought a lot in Springfield addition and built a large residence. In 1890, we moved to Madison, Ill. , then to East Park Pl. In 1892 we moved to St. Louis Ave and from there to Spencer Place where father resided until his death on February 13th, 1914 at 8:40 PM. (Written by Wyatt Sanford Peck (01/23/1856 – 12/19/1933). Submitted by Mitchell C. Wield,. firstname.lastname@example.org , who acquired a copy in October 2005; edited by Richard Pier (mostly spelling and grammatical corrections) in the 1980s.
PECK, John T.
Deepwater Township - John T. Peck was born near Stanton, Augusta County, Virginia, May 1, 1832, and was the son of John H. and Mary (McCrary) Peck, who were also natives of Virginia. John T. moved with his parents to Missouri in 1836 and located in Saline County, being among the pioneers of that vicinity. After living there about one year they settled at Lexington where John H. Peck engaged in the hotel business. Our subject spent his youth until eighteen years old on a farm, after which he worked in a rope factory for two years. He was married in this county, August 23, 1855, to Miss Susan Jane Sanford, a daughter of Wyatt Sanford, of Butler. She was born at Lexington but was raised and educated in Springfield, Missouri. After this event Mr. Peck located in Bates County where he entered land and improved a farm and where he resided about fifteen years. Selling out in 1866 he went to Arkansas and located in White County, but in a short time returned to Bates County, when he bought his present farm in section 17. He owns one hundred acres of land all fenced, with seventy-seven acres in cultivation, and a fair house, barn and improvements. A fine orchard of 1,000 bearing apple, about 500 bearing peach, some cherry, pear, and plum trees is on the place. Mr. and Mrs. Peck have nine children: Wyatt S., Mary F. (now Mrs. Cicero Graham), William Lee, Lillian E., Ellen Bell, Flemming H., Florence May, Walter and Flora Ethel. Mr. P. is a man of more than ordinary intellect though he hsa been almost entirely self educated. He is general manager of the Home Life Associaton of Burlington, Iowa, for Cass and Johnson Counties and is doing a good business for his company. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and he belongs to the Grange. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PERRECK, Ransom B.
Osage Township - Ransom B. Perreck, proprietor of the National Gazette, was born on the 13th of January, 1845, in Adams County, Illinois. His younger days were passed in that county, and a large portion of his time was spent in attending its public schools. In 1869, he removed to Bourbon County, Kansas, and devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1874, when he became engaged in the grocery trade at Fort Scott, Kansas, continuing the business one year. During 1875-6, he was occupied in the sewing machine trade. He resumed farming, and in 1880, came to Rich Hill, first embarking in the real estate business. Six months afterwards he commenced wholesaling liquors. In 1882, he became proprietor of the National Gazette, and this paper still remains in his possession, a journal ably edited and enjoying a good circulation. In 1882, Mr. Perreck was nominated by the Greenback party for the position of county judge. In December, 1861, he was married to Miss Matilda Gayer, a native of Ohio. They have one child, Cleo. Mr. P. is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PIEPMEIER, Henry J.
Hudson Township - Henry J. Piepmeier, the subject of this sketch, was born in St. Charles County, Missouri, February 28, 1853. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Kuneil) Piepmeier, were native Germans. They immigrated to the United States when young, and were married in the United States. Henry accompanied the family from St. Charles to Bates County, in 1856. His youth and almost his entire life has been spent in Bates County, where he was raised as a farmer, being educated in the common schools. He was married September 17, 1879, to Miss Fanny Bailey, a daughter of Moses Bailey. She was born in Missouri and was raised and educated in Bates County. After his marriage, Mr. Piepmeier settled on his present farm. He has 180 acres of land, all fenced, with about twenty acres in meadow. This farm is in section 12. Mr. and Mrs. P. have one child, Jesse E., born July 15, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PIERCE, James S.
Charlotte Township - James S. Pierce, druggist at Virginia, came originally from Cocke County, Tennessee, where he was born in 1843. His father, George W. Pierce, who was born in Tennessee, October 24, 1809, married Miss Linden B. Swargerty in 1834. She was also a native of Tennessee; born in 1811 and died in 1862. In 1853 they settled in Bates County where the father still resides. James S. was principally reared and educated here. During the late war he served in the Seventh Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry. After hostilities had ceased he spent some time in Iowa, but returned to Missouri in the fall of 1865. In 1867 he married Miss Hattie E. Browning, a native of this county, born in 1847. She is a daughter of Jasper and Amanda (Ester) Browning. Mr. Pierce has long been identified with the interests of Bates County; first as a farmer and later as a merchant at Virginia, where he is meeting with good success. he has two children: Levi Franklin and George Jasper. Mrs. P. is a member of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Pleasant Gap Township - D.T. Pitchford, farmer and stock feeder, section 32, was born in Franklin County, Illinois, August 19, 1831. His parents were James G. and Martha (Williams) Pitchford; his father was born in Allen County, Kentucky, while his mother was a Tennesseean by birth. The subject of this sketch moved with the family to Montgomery County in 1832, where his youth was spent on a farm. He was married in this county, October 16, 1852, to Miss L. McGowen, a daughter of Alexander and Louisa McGowen. After that event he resided in Montgomery for about four years, and then in 1857 moved to Christian County, the same state. Selling his property there in the fall of 1873, he came to Missouri and located on his present farm. Mr. Pitchford has 195 acres of land in his home place, all fenced and mostly improved. He also owns a farm of 140 acres in Prairie Township, with fair improvements. Mrs. Pitchford died in Christian County in April, 1871, and there are five children living by this marriage: Buenavista M. (wife of W.H.H. Bailey, of Illinois), C.C., William P., Laura A. (wife of Howard Rose), and Thomas Jefferson. Mr. P. was again married, this time in Christian County, November 30, 1871, to Mrs. Elizabeth Yarber, a daughter of John Piatt. They have three children: Ella May, Edgar Lee and Jesse James. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
POAGE, George A.
Mingo Township - George A. Poage, druggist, Mayesburg, is a native of Virginia, having been born in Pocahontas County, December 3, 1850, the eldest of fourteen children. His parents were Samuel Poage and Sallie, nee Allen, also of Virginia. At the age of five years he, with the family, came to Missouri and settled in Daviess County, where he was reared on a farm. He was educated at McGee College, and when of age began life for himself by first securing a companion, in the person of Miss Carrie J. McCarty, a native of the same state as himself. They were married December 20, 1871. He embarked in farming in Daviess County, which he continued until 1881, having come to Bates in 1880. He entered the drug store with Mr. West in 1881, and is still in the same business. Mr. Poage has the respect of his acquaintances, and has been elected to the offices of justice of the peace, treasurer and township trustee. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and he is also a Master Mason. Mr. and Mrs. Poage have had three children, but have lost two of them, only one, Harry B., now living. The other two were named John H. and Lola T. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - J.W. Porter, dealer in furniture, was born in Morgan County, Missouri, in 1840, and was the son of Green L. and Lucinda Porter, the former born and reared in Tennessee, but the latter a Kentuckian by birth. They were married in Cooper County, Missouri, and subsequently settled in Morgan County, where J.W. was brought up and educated. In 1858, he started in business life for himself as a farmer. During the late war he served about fourteen months in the Confederate army in Kansas and Texas. In 1867 he was married to Miss E.M. Porter, of Tennessee. Her parents, Rev. J.S. and Mary Porter, were also natives of that state, and came to Missouri in 1859. In 1868, Mr. J.W. Porter located on a farm in Pettis County, and remained there until 1879, when he came to Bates County. He lived on a farm here until 1881, when he purchased a lot in Hume and entered into his present business, erecting one of the most substantial business houses in the place. He and his wife have one child, James L. They are both church members. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - W.T. Porter, dealer in drugs and notions, at Hume, is a native of Smith County, Tennessee, and was born in 1841, his parents being Peter and Louisa Porter. The father was born in North Carolina, and the mother also came originally from Smith County. In 1851 the subject of this sketch accompanied the family to Pettis County, Missouri, where he spent his youth and early manhood. In the late civil war he served for about ten months under General Sterling Price, in Company F, 45th Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He was united in marriage to Mary Porter, of Morgan County, Missouri, who was reared and educated there. She died leaving one child, Peter W. His second marriage occurred to Miss Allie Stoker, who was born in Kentucky. During the years 1872-73 Mr. P. lived in Colorado, and on December 23, 1881, he located at Hume. They have two children: William E. and Fred C. They are both members of the M.E. Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
POWER, Melvin Sidney
Mt. Pleasant Township - Melvin Sidney Power was born in Ontario County, New York, in 1827. His father, William Powr, married Miss Dorcas Arnold. Melvin spent his early days at the common schools, acquiring a good business education. After attaining his majority he settled on a farm, and married Miss Prudence Eugenia Rapalje May 27, 1852. Her father, Abraham Rapalje, was born in Dutchess County, New York, and subsequently moved to Ontario County. Her mother was formerly Eliza Scott, of Saratoga County. Mrs. Power received a thorough education at the Fitzhue Seminary at Rochester. They have three children living: Ralph Edward, Melvin Rapalje and Sarah Eliza, Lizzie. Jerome Alexander, who was born August 17, 1859, at Santiago, Island of Cuba, died July 31, 1881, at Mankato, Minnesota, where he was stopping for his health. In 1857 Mr. Power went to Cuba, where he remained for nine years, engaged as a general produce and egg dealer, also dealing in stock. He was successful in making money, but also met with many heavy losses. Coming to Missouri February 14, 1868, he bought the Planters House at Pleasant Hill, which he kept for six months, then selling it and moving to Butler, where he purchased an old mill. He at present has lumbering interests in Arkansas and ships logs to the mill here to be manufactured into lumber. The Butler Mill was started by him on the 15th of December, 1866, commencing with one run of burrs for grinding corn. Its capacity was forty bushels of corn per hour, and many grists came forty and fifty miles from Cass, Henry and Vernon Counties, Missouri, and Linn County, Kansas. About one year after this a run of burrs and other machinery for grinding wheat were added, also a saw mill. There were two boilers and two engines, and in the fall of 1868 one boiler exploded, breaking the leg of one man and cutting the head of another man open. The building was totally demolished. In ten days from the time of the explosion the mill was running again, night and day. This was the first steam mill in Bates County since the war and the first steam one ever in Butler. M.S. Power sold the mill to his sons, E.R. and M.R. Power, in the fall of 1877. The capacity of the mill is 120 bushels of wheat and 400 bushels of corn and 6,000 feet of lumber every ten hours. Grinding and sawing are done at the same time. This firm employes thirty-five men, including log haulers and choppers. Their sales are mostly home trade, they furnishing seventeen stores and three bakeries with flour in Butler. Their lumber is sold mostly to farmers. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Hudson Township - Joel Pratt, section 3, was born in Washington County, New York, August 2, 1835. His father, Garrison Pratt, who was born in Connecticut in 1806, married Miss Elmira Smith, a native of Vermont. The former early moved to New York with his parents, and settled in Washington County where he grew to manhood. Joel Pratt passed his youth on a farm in his native county and was educated at the public schools. He was married in Allegany County, February 10, 1859, to Miss Mary Jane Taylor, a daughter of Francis F. Taylor, and a native of the county where she married. Mr. P. continued to reside in New York until 1868. In 1864 he engaged in the mercantile business at Black Creek which he followed for three years. In the spring of 1868 he came to Missouri and located in Bates County at Hudson where he purchased land and improved his present farm. He owns 110 acres all fenced and in cultivation with a good, large residence. He is quite extensively engaged in the raising of sheep and has a flock of about 400 head with some good graded merino sheep. Mr. and Mrs. Pratt have three children: Harry T. and Garry A. born May 5, 1864, and Alice A., born May 5, 1876. Mr. P. and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity and the Patrons of Husbandry. He is identified with the Democratic party and has held the office of township clerk for several years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PRICE, Samuel W.
Spruce Township - Samuel W. Price, section 16, was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, November 20, 1837. His parents, Anderson and Margaret (Brown) Price, were Virginians by birth. The former grew to manhood and was married in Virginia, and moved to Missouri in an early day, locating in Lafayette County, where he was among the first to settle. In the spring of 1837 he went to Daviess County, nad was also a pioneer there. Samuel passed his youthful days on a farm and received a common school education. He was married in Grundy County, Missouri, October 23, 1862, to Miss Wilhelmina Conkling, a daughter of Zela Conkling. She is a native of Missouri; was born in Grundy County. After this event Mr. Price farmed in Daviess County for about two years, and in January, 1865, visited Nebraska, and the following spring moved to Iowa, where he lived one year. In the spring of 1867 he returned to Lafayette County, and in five years, or in the spring of 1872 he came to Bates County, and bought a farm in Spruce Township, which he still owns. He located at his present residence in the spring of 1881. He has about 400 acres of land, mostly improved, with a good dwelling on his home place and a young bearing orchard. He is quite extensively engaged in raising and feeding stock and has been very successful in this business. Mr. P. and his wife have five children: Thomas W., William Lee, Anna B., Dora Bell, and Samuel M. Mrs. Price is a member of the M.E. Church, south. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
R.E. Pritchard, one of the editors of the Rich Hill Tribune, was born in Calhoun county, Iowa, May 31, 1877, and with his parents removed to Missouri in 1879, and in the spring of 1881 came to Rich Hill where they still reside. He was educated in the public schools of that place and after finishing the high school served his apprenticeship as a printer, but on account of ill health was forced to leave the case. In 1897 he attended the Rich Hill Business College and graduated with honors in the class of '98. He then returned to the case but decided to teach school during the winter and taught a very successful term. In March, 1899, he purchased an half interest in the Rich Hill Tribune and continues as its junior editor. He is an intelligent, upright and industrious young man, a staunch Republican and true to his party's principles. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
PULLIAM, George W.R.
Deer Creek Township - George W.R. Pulliam, farmer, section 28, was born in Boone County, Missouri, October 19, 1840. His father, Richard R. Pulliam, originally from Kentucky, immigrated to Missouri in 1819, where he married Miss Ann Smith, a native of Tennessee. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm in Boone County, receiving his education in the common schools. In 1863-4, he taught school, after which he engaged in farming, which occupation he followed until 1881. At that date he came to Bates County, Missouri. His farm contains eighty acres of good land, well improved. Mr. Pulliam's grandfather, Smith, lived to the age of 103 years. His father died in 1877. His mother is now sixty-eight years old, and is residing in Boone County. He was married April 6, 1864, to Miss Nancy C. Short, a native of Missouri, born March 2, 1844. They have ten children: Sally E., Amanda, John Y., William T., Katie E., Annie B., Attelie N., Rue E., George and Richard. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
L.R. Purkey was born in McDonough County, Ill., October 27, 1862, came with his parents to this county when seven years old, locating near Burdette, and has ever since resided in the county. His early life was spent on the farm and he attended the public schools. In 1886 he was married to Miss Belle Timmons, who died one year after their marriage. In 1889 he was again married to Miss Nannie Heavilin, she also died soon after their marriage. On April 1, 1892, he bought a half interest in the Adrian Journal, since which time he has been engaged in the business. On October 11, 1892, he was united in marriage with Miss Laura Holloway. Mr. Purkey is an active member in the United Brethren Church, and is at present superintendent of the Sunday School of that denomination in Adrian. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Deer Creek Township - L.W. Putnam, school teacher, was born in Yates County, New York, March 1, 1841. His father, Jacob Putnam, who was a farmer by occupation and a native of the same state, was married, in 1839, to Miss Louisa Cora, of New York. They had four sons and three daughters, L.W. being the eldest. He was reared on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools and the Academy at Dundee, New York. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fiftieth New York, and was discharged in June, 1865. He was promoted from private to sergeant, and after the war he returned to New York and taught school until 1868, when he removed to Bates County, Missouri, and located at West Point. He has taught school in this county from that time except for two years spent in the State of Kansas. In March, 1882, he came to Adrian and accepted the principalship of the Adrian school. Mr. P. is a member of the Baptist Church, as is also his wife. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity. August 27, 1865, he was married to Miss Mary Eveland, a native of New York. They have one child, Carrie, born June 29, 1866. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PYLE, Elliott, M.D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Elliott Pyle, M.D., dealer in drugs, books, stationery, &c., was born on June 21, 1827, and is a native of Clinton County, Ohio. He continued to make his home in that locality until 1847, in the spring of which year he removed to Lee County, Iowa. 1853, he began the study of medicine under Dr. E.D. Adkinson, at Dover, the same county, and continued to prosecute it earnestly until 1857. During this time, in 1855-6, and 1856-7, he attended the medical department of the Iowa State University. In 1857, he embarked in the practice of his profession at Hager's Grove, Missouri, at which point he remained for one year. Upon going to Croton, Iowa, he made it his home until 1860, when he moved to West Point. There he had a most successful practice. In July, 1862, he was appointed assistant surgeon of the United States Hospital, at Keokuk, and after two months service there he joined the Second Iowa Regiment in a like capacity. He served with that command until September, 1863, when he was commissioned surgeon and assigned to hospital duty in Arkansas. He remained on duty at different points throughout the state up to the fall of 1866, when he received his discharge. During the greater part of that year he was acting surgeon-in-chief of the state, in the absence of the regular official. Upon obtaining his discharge, Dr. Pyle returned to West Point, Iowa, and continued to reside there until the spring of 1867, when he came to Butler, Missouri, resuming the practice of his profession. He also started the drug business, to which after a short time he devoted his entire attention. Since his location here the doctor has been an acknowledged leader among our citizens in promoting the general improvements of the place. His drug store is now the best fitted one in the locality, and his business is a remunerative one. He was married April 22, 1857, to Miss Mary A. Walker, originally from Illinois. They have a family of three children: William E., Nancy J. and Ruby A. Dr. P. is a member of the Masonic fraternity at Butler. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
PYLE, John H.
Mt. Pleasant Township - John H. Pyle, blacksmith, was born in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, November 6, 1830. He was there reared and educated, and has followed from his eighteenth year the trade of blacksmithing. In 1868, he emigrated to Bates County, Missouri, where he engaged in the farming and dairy business, which he continued for four years. Returning to Pennsylvania, he gave his attention to his trade at Meadville for one year. Then he again came to Bates County, Missouri, and established himself in his present business. In 1882, he built the brick store adjoining his shop at a cost of $2,500. He owns besides this a fine farm of 160 acres of land, one and one-half miles from town, and also several dwellings in Butler. Mr. Pyle was married, November 9, 1854, to Miss Jane Elliott, a native of England. They have three children living, Charlie H., Melvin A. and Jessie F. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also belongs to the Presbyterian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)