Bates County Biographies
RAFTER, Thomas D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Thomas D. Rafter, dealer in dry goods, groceries, etc., was born on the 8th of March, 1838, and is a native of Canada. When sixteen years old he removed to a point near New Haven, Connecticut, where he resided for eighteen months, then returning to the country of his birth. For two years he attended the city schools at Montreal, and the succeeding five years was a student at Kenyon College, at Gambier, Ohio. After this he became principal of the schools of Cambridge City, Indiana, of which he had charge one year. During the term of 1864-5 he was employed as teacher at the Rome Academy, of Rome, Indiana, and subsequently he gave his attention to mercantile pursuits for two years, at Stevensport, Kentucky. In 1868 Mr. Rafter came to Bates County, Missouri, and until 1875 was interested in farming, then resuming merchandising at Butler. Since then this business has received his entire time and energy, with the exception of six months, when teaching in the city schools. Mr. R. was married in August, 1866, to Miss N.B. Huckeby, who came originally from Indiana. This union has been blessed with four children: William, Thomas D., George C., and John P. He is a prominent and active member of the Episcopal Church, and is at present superintendent of the Sabbath School connected with it. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
New Home Township - James Rand, stock dealer and farmer, was born in Dearborn County, Indiana, November 16, 1829, and was the son of James and O. (McLean) Rand, natives of Ohio. His grandfather, Thomas Rand, was an old Revolutionary soldier and among the pioneers of Kentucky. Young James was reared on a farm, and at the age of twenty-three, in October, 1852, married Miss Margaret Bassett. In 1865 they came to Missouri and lived for three years in Benton County, coming to Bates in 1868. In 1857 he had entered about 2,000 acres of land, and he began to improve some of that property. He now owns over 1,000 acres, having 480 acres in the farm upon which he lives. He is an extensive stock dealer, and usually feeds from 100 to 150 cattle and a proportionate number of hogs. He has four children living: Frances (wife of James Bell), Rolla (whose wife was formerly Mary Watts), Lula, and Benjamin L. They have lost four children: Charlie, who died when twenty-three years old; Carrie, when seven; Thomas, at the age of two, and Harry, when one year old. Mr. Rand is a Greenbacker, and made the race at the recent election for representative, but the strength of the party was not sufficient to elect him. He is a Mason, and has been for upwards of thirty years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Shawnee Township - Peter Randall was born in Pulaski County, Kentucky, October 5, 1837. His parents were Payton and Elizabeth (Renick) Randall. His father was born in North Carolina, and was among the pioneer settlers of Kentucky, where he married. Peter is the youngest of a family of ten children. Receiving a fair education in the district schools, he remained at home until nineteen years old, when, in 1857, he came to McDonald County, Missouri. There he stayed one year, and the next year moved to Pettis County, where he farmed until 1863; thence to Johnson County, and in 1869 he came to Bates County, and has been farming ever since. He lives on section 27, where he owns 160 acres of good land, with good improvements. November 23, 1862, Mr. Randall married Miss Mary E. Foster. Her death occurred March 16, 1880. They had eight children, of whom two are dead, Emma l. and Bertie E. Those living are: Virgil P., George T., James W., Charles P., Minnie L. and Mary E. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RANKIN, Samuel Adam
Homer Township - Samuel Adam Rankin was born near Spring Hill, Decatur County, Indiana, September 20, 1849. Jeremiah S. Rankin, his father, was also a native of Decatur County, Indiana, and was married in 1848 to Elizabeth Maze, youngest daughter of Samuel and Isabella Maze. She was born in Indiana, September 22, 1831, and died August 23, 1850, before Samuel was quite a year old. His father was then married again September 10, 1851, in Preble County, Ohio, to Mary J. Sloan only child of John and Isabella Sloan. Jeremiah S. was a soldier for about five months in the Thirty-seventh Indiana Regiment of Volunteer Infantry. He was discharged on account of ill health in February, 1862. In September, 1870, he removed to the vicinity of Mulberry, Bates County, Missouri, where he resided until October 15, 1882, at which date he died. His parents were Adam Rankin, who was a soldier in the war of 1812, and Hetty Rankin, both natives of Kentucky. They had four daughters and three sons, all of whom lived until they were grown but two only now survive. Adam Rankin and his wife died in the year 1866, the former aged seventy-six and the latter seventy-three years old. Their youngest son was killed in the war, July 20, 1864, near Atlanta, Georgia. Samuel Maze, Jeremiah S. Rankin's former father-in-law, was a native of Pennsylvania, moved to Harrison County, Kentucky, when young and was a soldier in the war of 1812. He afterwards married Isabella Stephenson in Nicholas County, Kentucky, and subsequently went to Indiana. He reared nine children. His death occurred in 1875, aaged eighty-seven years. Samuel Adam Rankin accompanied his father to Preble County, Ohio, after his (Jeremiah's) second marriage and remained there upon a farm until March, 1870, when he came to the neighborhood of Mulberry, Bates County, Missouri. Since living here he has taught school four winters and worked considerably at the carpenter's trade. He now owns 200 acres of land and is at present occupied in farming. His stepmother, half sister and two half brothers, are residing in the vicinity of Mulberry. Mr. Rankin was married December 11, 1872, to Miss Mary Alice Wright, who was born near Rossville, Clinton County, Indiana, May 3, 1854. Her parents were Rev. James P. Wright, who was formerly pastor of the United Presbyterian Church here, and now preaching at Prairie Home, Shelby County, Illinois, and Mary Ellen Wright nee Traber, who died in Tipton County, Indiana, August 9, 1865. Mrs. W. is a deaf mute and received her education at the Institute for the Deaf and Dumb at Indianapolis, excepting one year's schooling at Jacksonville, Illinois. She graduated at Indianapolis in June, 1872, and then came to this vicinity to live with her father. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have four sons: George Fay, Roy, Lee and Jeremiah Day. He is a member and ruling elder in the United Presbyterian Church at Mulberry. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RAY, Thomas B.
Howard Township - Thomas B. Ray, farmer and proprietor of coal bank in section 10, is numbered among the leading men of Howard Township. He is the son of Thomas and Susannah Ray, Kentuckians by birth, but who settled in Illinois at an early day. Thomas B. was born in Sangamon County, of that state, in 1841, and there he grew up and was educated. In 1871 he came to Bates County, Missouri. Upon first starting out in life for himself he followed farming as his occupation, and though then without means, he has succeeded in accumulating a well improved farm, underneath which is a vein of coal some thirty-three inches in thickness that will compare favorably with any in the vicinity. He was married, February 23, 1864, to Miss Charlotte Brown, who was born in Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1840. Her parents were R.D. and Rachel (Earnest) Brown. She died on January 5, 1865, leaving one daughter, Charlotte B. Mr. Ray is a Master Mason. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
REDMON, John W.
Summit Township - John W. Redmon was born in Montgomery County, Kentucky, January 22, 1840. S.P. Redmon, his father, was born in Clark County, Kentucky, near Winchester, April 24, 1816, and was the son of William Redmon, also a native of Kentucky, born in Bourbon County. S.P. moved with his father's family to Montgomery County in 1835, where he grew to manhood and married Elizabeth J. Berry, a daughter of Gen. John Berry, of the same County. After his marriage he resided in Montgomery County until 1866, engaged in farming. In the fall of 1866 he came to Missouri, and located in Bates County, where he bought land and improved a farm, and where he now resides. Here he lost his wife, who died April 16, 1882. He has four children, the eldest being J.W., the subject of this sketch, Mary M. (now Mrs. F. Cheatham), Fannie (now Mrs. F.M. Trimble, of Butler), and George W. John W. Redmon was raised on his father's farm, obtaining a common school education. He was married in his native county, February 19, 1867, to Miss Mattie F. Steele, a daughter of John M. Steele. She died in Kentucky, January 5, 1871. He was again married, to Georgia A. Steele, a sister of his former wife, December 28, 1871. She also died in Kentucky, February 10, 1877. Mr. Redmon has two children, the eldest Myrtie G., by his first marriage, and Mary Lizzie, by his second wife. He was married the third time, to Miss Emma E. Hardman, December 11, 1877. She is a daughter of John Hardman, of Clark County. In the fall of 1868, Mr. R. came to Missouri, purchased land and located in Bates County. After living here about two years, he returned to Kentucky. In January, 1878, he again came to his farm in Bates County, where he now resides. He has 100 acres of land, all in cultivation, with fair improvements, and resides on section 11. Mr. Redmon enlisted in teh Confederate service in the fall of 1861, in Clay's Cavalry Battalion. He was taken prisoner in the spring of 1862, in Montgomery County, and held a prisoner for five months, when he was paroled; but he did not again enter the service. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - Austin Reeder was born in Wythe County, Virginia, on the eleventh day of January, 1813, and was the eldest of four children. His parents, John and Mary (Montgomery) Reeder, were natives of Virginia. The former died when Austin was a lad of fifteen and the care of the farm fell upon him, and until 1839 he carried on the old homestead. In that year, on the eighth of October, he married Miss Nancy A. Shough, a native of Tennessee, and removed to Missouri, making his location in Bates County, where he was among the first settlers. When he located in this state his only neighbors were Hiram C. Edwards, Elisha Evans and Jacob Coffman. He attended the first divine service held in his section of the county, which was conducted by James Fuel, a Baptist Missionary. In those days his trading was done at Lexington, and he was obliged to go fifty miles to mill. He assisted in the first funeral service held in the township and on that occasion the coffin was made from puncheons split from the log expressly for the occasion. Mr. Reeder entered all of his land, and now owns about 1,200 acres. His residence is in section 20, and his home farm consists of 500 acres of well improved land. Mrs. Reeder died August 12, 1865, leaving nine children, of whom five are now living: Joseph A., William B., James B., Mary J. (wife of J.M. White), and Laura E. (wife of Thomas Clements). Those deceased are John S., Thomas P., Julia A., and Gustavus. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - Joseph Reeder, farmer and stock-raiser, section 31, was born in Wythe County, Virginia, July 10, 1814. His father, John Reeder, a native of Virginia, married Miss Nancy Montgomery, of the same state. Her father, Joseph Montgomery, was a soldier during the revolutionary war. Joseph Reeder was the second of a family of four children, two boys and two girls. He was reared on his father's farm and received a common education in the subscription schools of his native state. In 1840 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and was one of the pioneers of this county. He then entered his land and commenced farming wild prairie, from which he has made one of the best farms in this portion of Bates, consisting of 220 acres. September 17, 1840, he married Miss R.A. Sears, a native of Indiana. She was reared in Henry County, Missouri. They have ten children: Oscar, Nancy J. (now Mrs. Cox), W.F., Rosie, John, C.P., Robert, Joseph F., Edna F. (Mrs. A.B. Owens), Otis. Mr. R. has been constable of this township. Himself and wife are members of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
REEDER, William M.
Mingo Township - William M. Reeder, farmer and stock dealer, is one of the rising young men of Bates County. He is a native of Bates County, having been born here January 29, 1855, the son of Austin Reeder one of the county's substantial farmers. William was reared to hard work on his father's farm and received his education in the country schools. In his twentieth year he was married, August 12, 1874, to Miss Sarah E. Prigmore, who was born in this county May 6, 1856, and a daughter of Daniel and Polly (Sean) Prigmore. Soon after he began farming and trading in stock at which he continued until 1875; going to Texas in that year, he remained there only a short time. He continued the stock business until 1880 when he again visited Texas and dealt in stock for one year, returning to Bates in the fall of 1881. He is now occupied in farming, and his place on section 17 contains 140 acres, is well improved with one of the best of young orchards. Mr. and Mrs. Reeder are members of the Christian Church. They have three children: Loney Warren, Ida Mary and William Claude. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - C.M. Reese is a member of the large and well known establishment of Little, Reese Bros., hardware and grocery merchants at Hume. He owes his nativity to Chittenden County, Kentucky, where he was born in 1854. G.C. Reese, his father, married Miss Mary Mansfield. C.M. accompanied his parents to Missouri, and was principally reared in Pettis County. He received an excellent education at Sedalia, afterwards took a thorough course in a business college, and subsequently for four years was engaged in teaching school. In 1880, Mr. Reese married Miss Julia McVay, a native of Council Grove, Kansas. She was brought up and educated there. They have one child, Roy. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Walnut Township - H.C. Reese was born in Crittenden County, Kentucky, July 21, 1848, and was the son of G.C. and Mary D. Reese nee Mansfield. The former was born in Tennessee, and accompanied his parents to Kentucky, where he was married, subsequently settling in Johnson County, in 1856. In 1866, he went to Pettis County, where he now resides. The subject of this sketch was educated at Forest Grove Institute, after which for the succeeding two years he read law under Crandle & Sinnett, at Sedalia. Owing to failing health he turned his attention to the live stock trade in connection with farming. In 1871, Mr. Reese came from Pettis to Bates County, and is now the owner of 240 acres of find land, well improved, his farm being situated in section 30, and upon which he feeds a number of cattle. He is also a full partner in the firm of Little, Reese Bros., hardware and grocery merchants at Hume. Mr. R. was married January 11, 1872, to Miss Kate Gregg, a Virginian by birth, who was born April 9, 1858. Her parents were J.G. and Mattie (Sheppard) Gregg. She was educated at Fayetteville, Howard County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Reese have three sons: William Clark, Earl Gregg and Henry Clay. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RENICK, Dr. O.F.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Dr. O.F. Renick was born and raised near Lexington, Missouri. He studied medicine with Dr. C.L. Wilcox, of Pleasant Hill, Missouri, as preceptor and attended lectures at the St. Louis Medical College in 1848 and in New Orleans in 1852 and 1853 and was graduated from the medical department of the Louisville University in 1860. He received the adendum degree from the St. Louis Medical College in 1868. He commenced practicing medicine with his preceptor at Pleasant Hill and subsequently removed to Carrollton and practiced with Dr. F.B. Atwood. He spent four years in Texas, and was a charter member of the first medical association of that state. He afterwards settled in Leavenworth and after attending lectures at Louisville in 1859-60 he made his home at Wellington, Missouri, where he practiced successfully for twelve years. While living here he was an active member of the Lafayette County Medical Association, and in 1870 he was a delegate to the American Medical Association. He came to Butler, Missouri, in 1872 and has since been in active practice and is recognized as one of Bates County's most prominent medical practitioners. Dr. C. Winfrey, of Pleasant Hill, was a student at the same time with the same preceptor. He commenced practice at Lone Jack. Dr. D.W. Flourney, Dr. Robert B. Smith and Dr. T. Windsor, of Lexington; Dr. Ray Morrow, Dr. Ray Bowmer, Drs. James and William Horn, of Johnson County, Missouri, studied medicine, attended lectures and commenced practice at the same time. Dr. Winfrey and Dr. Renick are the only two now living. The latter has been twice married; first, in 1847, to Miss Sarah E. Renick. She died in Wellington, Missouri, May 1, 1869, leaving one son, A.D., who became a practicing physician and died in Butler in 1877. He married for his second wife Miss Lucy W. Henry in 1871. Their family consists of two children: Prudie, aged seven years, and Joseph Henry, aged two years. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
REQUA, George N.
Lone Oak Township - George N. Requa is the third son and fourth child of Dr. William C. Requa, and is a native of the township in which he now lives, having been born upon a portion of his father's present farm and within one mile of his own present residence, on the 15th of February, 1846. His early days were spent in work upon the old homestead and in acquiring the rudiments of a fair education, with about as poor school accomodations as that to which any state can lay claim.When only sixteen the outbreak of the civil war drove the family to Kansas with the hope that shelter would there be assured. But in a short time young Requa, burning with the same spirit that induced his father to try the missionary work, joined the Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry under Colonel Jennison and served along the border, being with the company upon the Price raid and at the battles of Big Blue and Pleasanton. During the fall of 1864 he was attached as orderly to the staff of General C.W. Blair and stationed at Fort Scott, carrying dispatches to various outposts in Missouri, Kansas and Indian Territory. He was discharged in the fall of 1865 at Fort Leavenworth. Returning to his old home, he engaged in farming and has since devoted his attention to that occupation. He has a farm of seventy acres in a fine state of cultivation and upon which is quite an extensive apple orchard, the principal varieties being winesap, geneting and Ben Davis. Mr. Requa was married, October 16, 1874, to Miss Sarah E. Thomas, the daughter of William R. Thomas. They have two children living, and one, the second, deceased: Katie E., Aaron F. and Edna. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - Cornelius Reynolds, farmer and stock dealer, is a native of Missouri, and was born in the county of Saline, February 19, 1832, the fifth of a family of seven children. His father, Cornelius Reynolds, was a Virginian by birth, and came to Missouri when a young man. He married Miss Evalina Thornton, also a native of Virgnia. He was a farmer by occupation and died when Cornelius was a lad of ten. The son was reared on the farm upon which he was born, and received a fair education in the public schools. When he was nineteen years old he began farming and lived in Saline until 1874. He married December 22, 1859, Miss S.N. Hancock, also of Missouri. Her death occurred April 8, 1874, when Mr. R. removed to Pettis County, where he was again married on December 20, of the centennial year, to Miss Amanda A. Divers, originally from Virginia. He continued to live there until 1879, when he came to Bates County, and here he engaged in farming. His home is on section 26, where he has a farm of sixty acres in a high state of cultivation. Mr. Reynolds is identified with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and his wife is a member of the Baptist denomination. The family consists of seven children, of whom five are by the first marriage. They are Evalina V., John P., Eliza F., J.I., Ernest, Cordia and Cornelius. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RHODES, Stephen G.
Osage Township - The subject of this sketch is among those whose heads have been touched by the frosts of many winters, and who have passed through the scorching heat of many summers. He was born February 20, 1813, in Oneida County, New York, and is a descendant of William Rhodes, who came from England with Roger Williams, and erected a church at Rock Port, Maine, the first Baptist Church erected on the American shore. The name of William has since been kept in the Rhodes family in many generations. Stephen G. is a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Crandell) Rhodes, the former of Rhode Island, and the latter of Connecticut. When he was but six years old the family moved to Hardin County, Kentucky, and two years later to Edmundson County, of the same state, where he grew to manhood on a farm. He had begun to learn the mason's trade, and in company with his brother did the first public work done in Kentucky - building a lock on the Louisville Canal, laying the first railroad ties in the city of Lexington, building Mud River lock pit across Greene River, Brown's lock pit and many other noted contracts. For three years he built piers for the railroad from Glasgow to Bells Junction, for which he received $100.00 per month. He erected the jail of Glasgow, Kentucky, the structure being of cut stone and one of the finest buildings in the state. He also put up other noted public and private buildings in different localities, and was considered the most skilled workman in the vicinity. He followed his trade till 1866. In 1858 he came to Missouri, and the succeeding year he went to Texas, having at that time $8,000 in gold. In 1862 he returned to Missouri a bankrupt, and located on a farm in Pettis County, where he resided till 1870, when he came to Bates County. Here he has since been successfully engaged in farming, having a farm of 240 acres. Mr. Rhodes was married September 23, 1840, to Miss Mary Simons, a native of Kentucky. By this union they have had six children, five of whom are now living: Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Victoria and Stephen. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - J.L. Richardson, of the firm of Richardson & Wilson, was born at Little Osage, Bates County, Missouri, April 5, 1847, and is the eldest of five children. His parents were J.B. and Jennie Richardson, nee Quay, natives of Virginia. They settled at Balltown about the year 1840, and for several years operated a mill at that place; then they moved to Papinville and ran a horse mill there. Mr. Richardson's whole life has been spent in Bates County, and his education has been received in our schools. In 1866 he became engaged in keeping a hotel at Papinville, and continued in that and conducting a drug and grocery in connection until 1881, when he removed to Rockville and entered into partnership with D.W. Wilson, in the grocery trade. Mr. Richardson is connected with the order of United Workmen. He was married October 22, 1871, to Miss Mary Wilson, a daughter of C.K. Wilson, a native of Illinois. They have two children: Blanche, and Alfred. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Geoge Rief is a native of Germany and was born August 13, 1833. He was reared and educated in the country of his birth, and in 1851 emigrated to America, landing in New York. He soon located in Xenia, Greene County, Ohio, and after residing a short time in New York City was engaged in the bakery business in Xenia till 1865, when he moved to Hartford, Indiana. There he was interested in the same calling for about three years. Coming to Butler, Bates County, Missouri, he embarked in the grocery trade till June, 1872, when he began the general merchandise business at the old town of Rich Hill. At the beginning of this young city he moved his stock of goods and continued business in Rich Hill till May, 1881. In 1873 he was appointed postmaster, holding that commission till 1881. Mr. Rief is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the I.O.O.F. order. In the fall of 1856 he was married to Miss Margaret Shelenberger, a native of Germany. They have four children: Emma, William, John and Lucy. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RISLEY, George M.
Mt. Pleasant Township - George M. Risley, a prominent dentist at Butler, is a native of Jersey County, Illinois, and was born July 10, 1857. He was reared in that county in the occupation of farming and stock raising, obtaining his education from the schools of the vicinity. In 1872 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and continued stock raising and farming for two years, and for the following two years, he was a student of dentistry under Dr. Tucker, of Butler. He then became associated with that gentleman in the practice of his profession, and after a year's partnership they dissolved. Dr. R. then continued practice alone (1879), and has met with a success which he richly merits. He is a member of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RITCHEY, Judge Andrew
Grand River Township - Judge Andrew Ritchey, farmer, was born in Belmont County, Ohio, March 1, 1817, and is the eldest in a family consisting of four boys and one girl. His father was David Ritchey, a farmer by occupation, and a native of Pennsylvania. His mother, whose maiden name was Mary Boggs, was born in Delaware. Andrew was reared on his father's farm in Ohio, and for a while attended the common schools. He remained on the home farm until twenty-eight years old, when he was married March 20, 1845, to Miss Elizabeth Nickols, a native of Ohio, born April 16, 1825. He then continued at farming in Ohio till 1866, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, and here he has been occupied in tilling the soil. His farm in section 27 consists of over 400 acres, well improved and with good buildings; his house which he built in 1870, cost $2,500. In addition to owning cattle, hogs and horses, he handles quite a number of sheep. At the election in November, 1882, Mr. Ritchey was chosen as the county justice for the northern district. He has held a number of minor township offices, the people now recognizing his business ability. He looks to the interest of the farmers and is accordingly a member of the order of the Patrons of Husbandry. His wife died July 16, 1879, leaving six children, James B., Hannah A. Saunders, Thomas J., Mary E., Amos and Seth. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROBINSON, G. Wilse, M.D.
Dr. G. Wilse Robinson, who is accorded a position of distinction as one of the eminent members of the medical fraternity in Missouri and is now serving as superintendent of the Insane Hospital at Nevada, this state, is widely known as a specialist in neurology and mental diseases. His birth occurred in St. Clair County, Missouri, August 1, 1871, his parents being George W. and Cornelia (Beckwith) Robinson, the former a farmer and stock raiser. In boyhood a student in the public schools, Dr. Robinson acquired his literary education in Appleton City Academy and in the State University of Missouri, which he entered in 1893. Subsequently he attended Beaumont Medical College, of St. Louis, and was graduated with the class of 1896, the degree of M.D. being at that time conferred upon him. Dr. Robinson immediately entered upon the active practice of his profession in Bates county, Missouri, where he remained for eighteen months, and for four years was located in Joplin, Missouri. In January, 1892, he came to Kansas City, where he practiced the superintendency of the Insane Hospital at Nevada, Missouri, to which position he was chosen by its board of managers on the 3d of May, 1907. He was a professor of physiology in the University Medical College of Kansas City for a term of five years, is still a member of the faculty, and thus continues in active relation with the medical fraternity here. He belongs to the American Medical Association, the Medical Association of the Southwest, the Missouri Medical Association, the Jackson County Medical Society and the Kansas City Academy of Medicine. Robinson has also gained prominence in his profession, building up a very lucrative practice here. He has made a specialty of neurology and psychiatry, and because of this specialization he accepted the proffered position of superintendent at the Insane Hospital to enlarge his knowledge through the study of mental and nervous disorders as manifest there. (Kansas City, Missouri: It's History and It's People, 1808-1908)
Osage Township - H.P. Robinson, farmer, section 6, is a son of Armit Robinson, Esq., who was born in Tennessee, from which state he moved when a young man, to Kentucky, where he was married to Miss Malinda Jarvis, a native of Kentucky. They went to Indiana at an early day and located in Ripley County, where the subject of this sketch was born, April 3, 1825. He was reared on a farm in that county, and was there educated. In 1857 he moved from Ohio County, Indiana, to Benton County, Missouri, where he resided till the spring of 1861, then going to Marion County, Iowa. This was his home till 1869, and in the fall of the same year he came to Bates County, Missouri, where he has since resided. He has made farming his occupation during life, and now has a landed estate of 1,200 acres, most of which is underlaid with coal. Mr. Robinson has been married three times. First, in November, 1847, to Miss Susannah Rand, a native of Dearborn County, Indiana, who died in February, 1849. In December, 1850, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Rand, a sister of his first wife and from the same county. She died in December, 1874, leaving six children, three of whom are living: Susannah, Mary, and Elizabeth. Mrs. Jeanette Shaw became his third wife, in December, 1879, and by this union they have one child, Harvey P., Jr. Mrs. R. is a native of Hampshire County, Massachusetts. Her maiden name was Spooner. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROBINSON, Jarvis A.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Jarvis A. Robinson, blacksmith and carriage manufacturer, was born in Livingston County, New York, August 31, 1818. He received a common school education, and when eighteen years old learned the blacksmith's trade. After working in Pennsylvania and other places for some time he started a shop in Danville, New York, and conducted it for some twelve eyars, then going to Genesee County. He remained here until 1870, when he moved to Atchison, Kansas. Two years later, or in 1872, he came to Butler, and started a shop at this point, which small beginning has grown into a large and profitable business, and perhaps the leading business of the kind in the city. He was married, June 13, 1844, to Miss Rebecca Ann A. Karchar, who was born in Steuben County, New York. They had four children: Henry B., Calvin Barzilla, Charles Eugene, and Emma Jane. Henry learned the blacksmith trade of his father, and is a partner in the business. He is a natural mechanic, and has invented many novel tools of great convenience. He married Miss Frances M. Sherwood, in Livingston County, New York, in June, 1871. They have three daughters: Edith May, Nellie Gertrude, and Mabel Pearl. Calvin B. married Mrs. Matilda Jane Morrowson Miller, November 19, 1876. They have two children, Myrtle G. and Gracie. Charley Miller, the son of Mrs. R., is also a blacksmith, etc. Charles Eugene married Miss Sarah E. Coutts, of this city, in April, 1879. They have two children, Walter Lewis and Eddie. He is a carpenter by occupation. Emma Jane was married November 14, 1882, to Isaac N. Maddox, of Butler. Mrs. Jarvis Robinson died November 1, 1878. Mr. R. and his sons politically are Republican. They are members of the M.E. Church. Henry B. belongs to the Odd Fellows' order. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROBINSON, Lossin R.
West Boone Township - Lossin R. Robinson, druggist, was born March 17, 1860, in Johnson County, East Tennessee. His parents were Joseph H. and Little L. (Coal) Robinson, both natives of Tennessee. His father was a practicing physician, and L.R. clerked in his drug store until coming west, in 1879. He then clerked for Dr. Bennett, at Aubrey, Kansas, for some time. When the town of Rosier was started Mr. Robinson opened out a drug store in partnership with Dr. Bennett, but soon after bought his partner's interest and is now conducting it on his own account. He has a good stock of drugs and is doing a satisfactory trade. Mr. Robinson was married September 15, 1880, to Miss Rosalie Harrison, daughter of Thomas T. Harrison, of Aubrey, Kansas. They have one child, Joseph H., born March 19, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Rockville Township - Wesley Robinson, farmer and stock man, resides on section 14, where he has an improved farm of 200 acres, all of which is under fence and well adapted to stock raising and fruit growing. He has an excellent orchard, containing apples, peaches, pears, plums, etc. He also owns a farm in the adjoining sectin containing about 100 acres. Mr. Robinson is one of the principal stock men in the township, and in addition to buying and shipping large quantities of stock each year, he raises upon his own farm about fifty head each of cattle and hogs. Mr. R. was born in Burlington, Iowa, on the 23d of January, 1849, and is therefore over thirty-four years of age. He is the eldest of three children, whose parents, John and Emeline (Valentine) Robinson, were natives of the Buckeye state. Wesley received his education from the schools of Putnam County, whither he had moved when seven years old, and in 1866 he came to Bates County, moving upon his present farm in 1876. On February 14, 1875, he was married to Miss Tweed Meredith, a native of the Old Dominion. They have two children, Millard and Lillie. Their eldest daughter, Rosa, is deceased. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROBORDS, Judge Charles Israel
Mt. Pleasant Township - Judge Charles Israel Robords, nurseryman and flourist, was born in Monroe County, New York, February 22, 1832, and was the son of Rev. Israel Robords, a Missionary Baptist clergyman, and for many years pastor of the First Baptist Church of New York City. His mother was formerly Olive Dake, of Saratoga County, New York. Charles I. received a thorough education at the Madison University in Hamilton, and subsequently studied law for two years, when he was prevented from completing his course by the death of his father in Missouri, where he had settled with his family in 1843. Young Robords returned to Bates County and settled up the estate, and has been an honored citizen of this county since that time. He was employed for many years in teaching, and taught some of the best schools in Bates and Cass Counties. He then took charge of the Asbury Manual Labor School, of North Fork, Creek Nation, Indian Territory, and remained there until the war in 1861, when he enlisted in the Union Home Guards, with which he continued through the war. He was one of the first to occupy the county after the war, and immediately set about improving his farm in Hudson, devoting some time to the nursery business and teaching. In 1868, he was one of the directors of the Tebo & Neosho Railroad Company, and elected its secretary. The road is now a part of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas. In 1865, he was elected presiding judge of Bates County, discharging the duties with marked ability. In the spring of 1882, he moved into Butler, purchased a fine lot, built a beautiful residence and bought several acres of land near by, on which he planted a nursery and built a subsstantial green house, and filled it with a collection of plants. Judge Robords married Miss Thalia A. Bryner, of Lucas County, Ohio, and daughter of George and Margaret Bryner, of that county. The former died in 1851. Mrs. Bryner's sister was the wife of Dr. Jared P. Kittard, of Cleveland, Ohio, of floral fame. They have one child, Margaret C., born October 1, 1880. The judge is a Republican in politics, and religiously a Baptist. He now owns a good farm, well improved, adjoining the village of Hudson. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROGERS, Albert M.
Lone Oak Township - Albert M. Rogers, minister and farmer, was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, February 24, 1833, his parents being James and Fanny (Hooly) Rogers, both natives of Pennsylvania. His grandfather, James Rogers, lived in Kentucky, and took an active part in the struggle of 1812. Albert M. is the eldest of a family of fourteen children, nine boys and five girls. Five of each are living, one brother, John, near Butler, three brothers and three sisters in Ohio, and two in Iowa. In 1835 the family removed to Washington County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. In 1854, March 16, he was married to Miss Nancy Bonar a native of Ohio. In 1864 he removed to Mahaska County, Iowa, where he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1868, and then went to Lafayette County, Missouri. In the spring of 1870 he came to Bates County, purchasing his present farm, of which only about twenty-five acres are under cultivation at this time. He has had ten children: John W., who died in infancy; Joseph B., died when four years of age; Newton R., died when about seventeen years old; Fanny, wife of C.F. Stewart and living near her father; Margaret Jane, wife of Albert Briden; Otto Clark; James Madison, Lydia Ellen, and David Tilton. Mr. Rogers is a member of the Baptist Church. While a resident of Iowa he began to preach, and was soon licensed and has since been occasionally preaching, though never having been ordained. He takes advanced ground on the subjects of prohibition and education. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROGERS, Jacob G.
Osage Township - Jacob G. Rogers, the subject of this sketch, is one among the older settlers now living in Osage Township, who first discovered the coal of this vicinity. He is a son of Samuel Rogers, who was a native of Connecticut, where he grew to manhood and married Miss Anna Warner, of the same state. Samuel Rogers' parents were natives of Cape Horn. Mrs. Anna Rogers was of English descent. Jacob G. was born in Butler County, Ohio, September 13, 1823. When he was seven years of age the family moved to Vermillion County, Illinois, where he was reared, following farming there till November, 1865, when he came to Bates County, Missouri. Then he located at Papinville, and for one year was engaged in running a ferry across the Marais des Cygnes at that point. Soon after he moved on the farm where he now resides, on section 4, this containing 120 acres of land, underlaid with rich coal veins from which coal is now being mined. Mr. R. has for many terms been elected school director of his township. He was married September 4, 1853, to Miss Sarah J. McFarland, of Boone County, Indiana. She died in November, 1867, leaving four children: Annis (now Mrs. Glenn), Susan J. (now Mrs. Conkey), Elizabeth A. (now Mrs. Charleton), Ruth A. (now Mrs. Denzan). (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
ROGERS, John M., Judge
Pleasant Gap Township - Judge John M. Rogers, a prominent farmer and stock feeder of Pleasant Gap Township, owes his nativity to Claiborne County, East Tennessee, where he was born August 8, 1815. His father, John Rogers, was a native of North Carolina, and was born December 27, 1781, and his mother, whose maiden name was Sarah Lynch, came originally from South Carolina. The former was a soldier in the war of 1812, and also in the Florida Seminole war, in 1836; in the latter war he was captain of a company. J.M. Rogers moved to Missouri with his parents in the spring of 1837, and located in what is now Platte County, they being among the first families settling in Platte Purchase. John Rogers died there February 18, 1861. The subject of this sketch spent his youth on a farm, and was married in Platte County, November 15, 1841, to Miss Sarah Moon, a daughter of Joseph Moon; she was born in Jackson County. After his marriage he farmed in Platte County for about ten years. Mrs. R. died there December 10, 1849, leaving two children: Angeline (now Mrs. Gasaway), and Eliza J. (now Mrs. J.C. Hall). Mr. R. was married again in Cass County March 12, 1853, to Miss Lucinda L. Settler, a daughter of Mansfield Settler. She was also born in Missouri. In April, 1851 he moved from Platte to Bates County and located some fourteen miles west of Butler, where he resided for about eleven years; Mr. Rogers lost his second wife, who died December 20, 1860. There is one son by this marriage, John L. He was married here to his present wife, Miss Lucy F. Wilson, of Missouri, March 12, 1861. They have seven children: Sterling C., George Eli, Emily L., William D., Hettie L., Carrie V., and Perry V. In 1862 Mr. R. went from Bates to Platte County, and resided there until October, 1865, when he returned to Bates and purchased his present farm in section 2. He has over 1,000 acres of land, with some 600 acres fenced and 300 acres in cultivation and meadow and the other 300 being in blue grass pasture. There is a fine apple orchard of about twenty acres on the place. He makes a specialty of handling and feeding cattle, and is quite extensively interested in the sheep business and has a flock of about 150. Mr. Rogers is identified with the Democratic party, and has filled several minor offices in his township. He was elected one of the county judges in 1853, and served for about one year. He served as township clerk about ten years, and also as justice of the peace of Pleasant Gap Township. Mrs. R. is a member of the Missiionary Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - John Rogers, farmer, section 28, was born in Herefordshire, England, May 19, 1851, and was the son of Thomas Rogers, a farmer by calling and a native of England. His mother's maiden name was Jane Lewis, also of that country. John was the youngest of four sons and one daughter. He remained on the home farm until 1868 when he emigrated to America. He worked in Osceola, Pennsylvania, until 1873, then went to Kansas City, Missouri, where he remained about six months, after which he came to Bates County, Missouri, and resumed agricultural pursuits. His farm contains seventy-five acres and constitutes as fine a farm as there is in the county. The improvements are of the best and he is one of the most enterprising farmers in this vicinity. November 25, 1880, Mr. Rogers married Miss Louisa Haas, a native of Illinois. They have one child, Louisa Bertie, born September 4, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
RUBEL, John W.
Rockville Township - John W. Rubel, blacksmith, wagon and carriage maker, was born in Washington, East Tennessee, July 12, 1842. His parents were Henry W. and Margaret (Walter) Rubel, natives of Tennessee. When he was about twelve years old they removed to Iowa, where he grew to manhood, upon his father's farm, receiving a fair education in the common schools. In 1864, he enlisted in Company B, 36th Iowa Infantry, and served until the cloud of war had spent its force, being discharged in September, 1865. He went to Clay County, Missouri, in 1867, and worked there one year, coming thence to Bates County in 1869. He located at Butler and worked at his trade until 1876, when he began business at Rockville, where he is now having a satisfactory trade in wagon and carriage-work and blacksmithing, keeping in his employ two workmen. Mr. Rubel is identified with the M.E. Church, and is a member of the Odd Fellow and United Workmen orders. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Charlotte Township - S.B. Ruble, farmer, section 12, was born in Knox County, Indiana, in 1840, and is a son of Jonathan and Sarah Ruble nee House, natives of Indiana but of German descent. S.B. was brought up and educated in the county of his birth and in 1859 he came to Bates County, Missouri. May 10, 1860, he married Miss Isabel Zinn, who was born in Sangamon County, Illinois, in 1840. Her parents were Merritt and Catherine Zinn, also originally from Indiana. After his marriage Mr. Ruble located on section 5 of this township, where he lived until 1861, then going to Kansas. During the late war he served in Company D, Eleventh Regiment, Kansas Volunteer Cavalry. He was mustered out in 1865 and in 1867 settled where he now resides. His farm comprises of 260 acres of improved land, equal to any in this vicinity. Mr. and Mrs. Ruble have five children living: George, Rosa, Schuyler, Edward and William. Mr. R. has long been numbered among the enterprising and progressive farmers of Charlotte Township. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Summit Township - William Rudy, a native of Ohio, was born in Muskingum County, December 25, 1838. Rudolph Rudy, his father was born in Germany, but emigrated with his parents to the United States when four years old. He married Miss Elizabeth Harholser, a native of Pennsylvania, but who was raised in Ohio, wither her parents had moved when she was a child. William passed his youth on his father's farm, and received a common school education. In 1858 he moved west to Illinois and located in Sangamon County. He was married there December 22, 1863, to Miss Susan M. Fairbanks, also a native of Ohio. After this he resided in Sangamon County, engaged in farming and stockrasising for some five years. In 1868 he visited Kansas, and in Nehama County purchased a farm, where he lived about eleven years. In 1878 he sold his Kansas property and in the spring of 1879 came to Missouri, and located in Bates County on his present farm. Mr. Rudy has 283 acres of land, 240 acres of which in his home place on section 11, are in cultivation, with a fair house and a bearing orchard and a new barn. He makes a specialty of raising and feeding cattle for the market. Mr. and Mrs. Rudy have a family of five children: Ollie E., William F., Artemus J., Henry V., and Susan May. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)