Bates County Biographies
Mingo Township - William Sallee, blacksmith, Mayesburg, was born in Boone County, Kentucky, January 10, 1832, and is the youngest of seven children. William Sallee, his father, a native of Virginia, was by occupation a carpenter. His mother, who was born in Kentucky, was formerly May Myers. William grew to manhood in Kentucky, and when a boy learned the blacksmith trade at Lexington. When he was twenty years old he married Miss Sarah F. Hayes, and was subsequently engaged at wool carding, following this business until he came to Missouri, when he settled in Polk County in 1860. He embarked in milling near Bolivar, afterwards enlisting in the Enrolled Missouri Militia, in which he served eighteen months. He then enlisted in the Seventh Partisan Rangers, under Captain Higginbotham, and continued in service until the close of hostilities. He resumed his occupation of miller and wool carding, and worked at it until 1875, near Bolivar and at Johnstown. He then removed to Appleton City and followed the trade which he had learned in his youth. He has since continued his trade, coming to Mayesburg in 1881. Mr. S. is a member of the I.O.O.F. His family has numbered seven children, two of whom have died, Sarah F. and Rebecca. Those living are Atha, Ann, Thomas E., Eliza Jane, William and Margaret. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SANDERSON, Thomas D.
Osage Township - Thomas D. Sanderson is connected with the firm of Sanderson & Wilson, dealers in stoves, hardware, furniture and undertaking goods at Rich Hill, and who also have a branch house in Papinville. Mr. Sanderson was born in Manchester, England, January 9, 1846. He emigrated to America when but a child, and was reared in Cannelton, Perry County, Indiana. In 1864 he went to New Albany, of the same state, where he learned the tinner's trade, and after remaining there two years he worked at different points in Kentucky till 1869. Then he came to Bates County, Missouri, and began his present business, which he has since continued, starting in Rich Hill in February, 1881. February 28, 1871, Mr. Sanderson was married to Miss Sarah A. Hoblett, a native of Logan County, Illinois. By this union they have four children: Sadie, John, Henrietta and Eva. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SARTAIN, Charles J.
Deer Creek Township - Charles J. Sartain, farmer and carpenter, section 15, was born in Coffee County, Tennessee, April 27, 1836, and was a son of James Sartain, a farmer by occupation and a native of North Carolina. He removed to Tennessee when a young man, where he married Matilda Simmons, also of that state. Charles was the youngest of six children. When he was ten years old his parents went to Texas, where they resided until 1862, in that year moving to Illinois. There the subject of this sketch followed farming in Pike County until 1875, when he came to Bates County, Missouri. He was educated in the common schools of Tennessee and Texas. His farm now contains 195 acres, 150 of which are in cultivation, with good land, well improved. He has a fine brick residence. Mr. S. learned the carpenter trade in Texas, and has since worked at that in connection with farming. He enlisted March 23, 1862, in Company C, Fifteenth Texas Cavalry. January 11, 1863, he was captured and took the oath of allegiance. August 11, 1865, he was married to Miss Mary E. Ham, who was born in Pike County, Illinois, April 10, 1849. They have seven children: Margaret E., James S., John C., Cora, Charles H., Minnie, Berdela. They have lost one child, Evaline. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SATTERLEE, Aaron J.
Deer Creek Township - Aaron J. Satterlee, merchant and postmaster, is the son of Aaorn and Mary (Nickerson) Satterlee, the former a native of Rhode Island and the latter of Maine, and was born in the state of New York, April 5, 1840. At the age of ten years he removed to Grundy County, Illinois, where he was reared to manhood, being educated in the common schools. He lived on a farm in Illinois until 1857, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, resuming the occupation of farming and stock raising. He now owns two well improved farms in the county, one containing 280 acres and one 180 acres. In 1880 he embarked in the grocery business in Archie, Cas County, and conducted it one year, then removing to Adrian, where he commenced the business which he is now following. He carries a large stock of drugs, groceries, etc., and deals extensively in grain. Mr. S. enlisted June 27, 1861, in Company B, Missouri State Home Guards, and was mustered out in 1862. He then enlisted in the Fourteenth Kansas Cavalry, receiving his discharge on the 9th day of August, 1865. He was married to Miss Phebe Jane Cook, a native of Kentucky, July 3, 1859. They have four children living: Resela, William H., Mary E. and Sarah D. They have lost one, Matilda Jane. Mr. Satterlee is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is W.M. of Crescent Hill Lodge, No. 368, A.F. and A.M. He also belongs to Bayard Commandery, No. 26, at Harrisonville, and is D.D. Grand Master of the Forty-seventh District. He is Worthy Patron of Crescent Hill Chapter, No. 144, Order of Eastern Star. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Orin Satterlee, merchant at Adrian. The subject of this sketch is a native of Onondaga County, New York, and was born August 26, 1837. His father, Aaron Satterlee, came originally from the same state. Orin was the third child of five brothers and three sisters. He was reared on the farm in New York, there being educated in the common schools. When twenty-two years of age he removed to Illinois and was engaged in farming until 1867, when he removed to Harrison County, Missouri. There he gave his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1870, when he came to Bates County, Missouri. He remained on the farm until 1880, in which year he located at Adrian, building the Adrian Hotel, which was burned in June, 1881. He subsequently embarked in the furniture business, in which he is now enjoying a good trade. He carries a large and complete stock in his line, and deserves his success. He and his wife are members of the M.E. Church. Mr. S. has been married twice. First to Miss Mary J. Benson, November 7, 1850. They had three children: George W., Benjamin (deceased), and Hermon (deceased). Her death occurred November 7, 1858. He was again married to Miss Malinda A. Nance, of Illinois, January 9, 1858. They have six children living: Eva, Edgar, Mary, Dick, John, and Charley. They have lost three. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SCHWECHHEIMER, George P.
New Home Township - George P. Schwechheimer was born in Baden, Germany, March 7, 1835, and emigrated to America when about sixteen years of age. The following year his parents, Jacob and Elizabeth (Nagel) Schwechheimer, came and located in Ohio, where his mother died in 1863. His father died in Missouri in 1875. George P. was married, January 1, 1857, to Miss Mary Leoffler, a native of Wurtemburg. Her death occurred September 10, 1867, when she left seven children: Emma, William, Charley, Phillip, Mary, Lydia and Lena. In February, 1869, Mr. Schwechheimer married Miss Julia Engl, born in Hesse, Germany. They have seven children: Charlie, Otilla, Flora, Edwin, Albert, Walter and John. At the outbreak of the war Mr. S. tendered his services and was enrolled in the Eightieth Ohio Infantry, and served under Generals Grant and Sherman. At Corinth, October 3, 1862, he was captured and held for ten days at Vicksburg, when he was paroled. In April following he rejoined his regiment at the Yazoo Pass, Arkansas. He received his discharge at Little Rock, in August, 1865. In 1869 he came to Bates County and secured a tract of 130 acres, which he has since been farming and to which he has added land until he has over 200 acres at present. He is a carpenter by trade and much of the time has worked at his trade in connection with his farming operations. In politics he is identified with the Democrats, and his worth has been recognized by his having been entrusted with the positions of township clerk and assessor. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SCOTT, John W.
Osage Township - John W. Scott, of the firm of Gorrell & Scott, liverymen, owes his nativity to Caldwell County, Missouri, where he was born, January 19, 1854, being a son of James D. and Mary E. Scott. When John was eight years of age they moved to Denver, Colorado, where he grew to manhood and completed his education. In 1868 he went to the mining camp of Elizabethtown, New Mexico, and was engaged in mining till 1870, after which time he interested himself in contracting and building railroads in Colorado, Kansas, Missouri and Texas, till 1877. Locating in Empire City, Cherokee County, Kansas, he worked in the lead mines till April, 1880, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, then holding a contract to build the Missouri Pacific Railroad to Rich Hill, which city he has since made his home. He has been in the livery business since February, 1882. Mr. Scott was married, March 16, 1876, to Miss Theodocia Abbott, a native of Missouri. They have one child, Bessie. Mr. S. is a member of the A.O.U.W. fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SCUDDER, Charles H.
Deer Creek Township - Charles H. Scudder, farmer and school teacher, section 28, was born in Green County, Wisconsin, December 4, 1847, and was the son of Henry Scudder, a native of Pennsylvania, and Katie (Kinsley) Scudder, of Ohio. He grew up on the farm in Wisconsin, receiving his education in the common schools and state university. In 1868, he came to Bates County, Missouri, and taught school for six years. In 1872, he entered the office of the Papinville Democrat, where he stayed about nine months. In 1875, he returned to Wisconsin, and remained there three years, farming, etc. In 1878, he again came to Missouri, and after stopping one year in Atchison County occupied in teaching, he returned to Bates County. His farm now contains eighty acres of good land, well improved. Mr. Scudder was clerk of Deer Creek Township for two terms. May 4, 1878, he married Miss Susie H. Dunwiddie, a native of Wisconsin, born December 23, 1849. They have two children: Mary, born March 11, 1879, and Katie, born December 21, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - J. Scudder, banker, is a native of Miami County, Ohio, where he was born December 14, 1837. His father, Henry Scudder, was a Pennsylvanian by birth while his mother whose maiden name was Katherine Kinsley, was a native of Ohio. When our subject was an infant his parents removed to Green County, Wisconsin, where he was reared to manhood and educated. He spent six years in the Wisconsin State University, graduating from that institution in 1867. After teaching school one year in that state he removed to Bates County, Missouri, in 1868, where he taught until 1871, then engaging in the newspaper business in Butler, as one of the editors of the Democrat. This he continued until 1882, when he came to Adrian and commenced banking. Mr. Scudder enlisted in August, 1862, in Company K, Twenty-Second Wisconsin, and was discharged June 30, 1865, after having participated in every engagement in which the regiment took part. He was taken prisoner March 25, 1863, and was transferred to Libby Prison, where he spent one night. The next day he was taken to City Point, and in sixteen days was exchanged. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
George Sears was born in Saline county, Mo., on November 6, 1831, his parents coming from Kentucky to Saline county in 1827. They moved to Bates (then Vernon) county in the fall of 1838, and settled one-half mile northeast of Altona. In 1849 his father owned 1,000 acres in and around the Altona area. George's brother Frank had gone to California in 1844 and aws Suitor's Fort when gold was first discovered. Frank wrote his father that he had made as much as $1,000 in a day and for his father to get an outfit and come right away. Selling his land, George's father started to California with two four-mule teams and two ox teams, and got as far as Fort Kearney, where he died of cholera. George, along with his mother and two sisters, returned to Altona and remained there until October 1861, when the war began. George then went to Hempstead county, Arkansas where he enlisted, and served through the end of the war. He married Miss Precilla Scroggins on March 2, 1862. In 1866 he moved to Henry county, Missouri, about ten miles from Clinton; and in 1867 bought land and settled in Bates County. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Mingo Township - A.F. Settle, farmer and stock raiser, is the son of James F. Settle, who was born in Virginia, and who was one of the pioneers of Missouri. In 1861 he removed to Bates County, where his death occurred August 13, 1873. He married Nancy J. Majors, a native of Kentucky, who came to Cass County, Missouri, with her parents in 1840. The subject of this sketch was born in Cass County, Missouri, October 10, 1855. He was brought up on his father's farm and received his education in the common schools of Missouri. In 1878 he went to California, and remained there until 1881, farming and threshing. He is one of the most enterprising farmers and stock raisers of this county, and has charge of the home place in section 16, which contains 320 acres of choice land, well improved. Mr. Settle was the third in a family of twelve children, nine of whom are now living. Three died in infancy. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - G.W. Shafer, farmer, section 14, is a native of Kansas, and was born near Fort Scott, August 10, 1842. His father, Jacob Shafer, was born in Germany and emigrated to America after becoming grown. He married Miss Louisa Rolls, of South Carolina. When G.W. was two years old he accompanied his parents to Bates County, Missouri, and when nine years of age to Lawrence County, and in 1857 he went to California, having enlisted under General Johnson in the Mormon trouble, for nine months. During this time he received the amount of $13 per month. He resided in California for seventeen years, engaged as teamster in the Red Woods. In 1875 he returned to Bates County, Missouri, and here has since been occupied in farming. He now has a farm of 200 acres of land. Mr. Shafer was married December 24, 1867, to Miss Marticia Powers, of Bates County, Missouri. They have three children: Druzillia, Minnie A. and George W. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also belongs to the Grange. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHANNON, John F.
Mt. Pleasant Township - John F. Shannon was born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, on the 20th day of January, 1837. He grew to manhood in his native county, receiving his education from the public schools there. At the age of fourteen years he began the trade of milling, which he has continued to follow through life. After serving five years apprenticeship in Philadelphia he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1856, where he resided one year. During the succeeding year he worked at his chosen calling in Chicago, Illinois. Removing to Princeton, Illinois, he made it his home till the winter of 1859, after which time he was interested at his profession in a number of towns. In 1870, he came to Butler, Missouri, and began working in the Diamond Mill. To this occupation he has adhered continuously until the present time, with the exception of 1875, which year he spent at Hannibal, Missouri. He owns a fine farm in section 20, of Mt. Pleasant Township, consisting of 128 acres of land, well improved. Mr. Shannon was married, September 15, 1860, to Miss Mary A. Dunleavy, originally from Illinois. They have ten children: Mon, Nellie, Robert, Daisy, Frank, John, Mary, Jessie, Arthur and Maud. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHARPLESS, B.F., M.D.
Rockville Township - B.F. Sharpless, M.D., physician, farmer and stock grower, was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, December 4, 1837, and was the sixth of a family of eight children. His parents were William and Abigail (Garrett) Sharpless, both natives of Pennsylvania. His early days were employed upon his father's farm, and he was educated in the common schools and Greenwood Seminary in Chester County. About the time that he became of age he engaged in teaching, which he followed about three years, at the same period, pursuing the study of his chosen profession. In 1861 he entered the Eclectic Medical College, Philadelphia, from which institution he graduated on the 23d of March, 1863. He then began practicing at West Chester, Pennsylvania; at which place he remained until 1879. In that year he came to Bates County, Missouri, and resumed farming. His residence is on section 4, and his farm contains 300 acres, most of which is in cultivation. Dr. Sharpless has held the office of justice of the peace for four years. He also takes an interest in the education of the youth, and accordingly has repeatedly been elected school director. The doctor was married soon after graduating, on December 14, 1863, to Miss Harriet Wallerton, born in Pennsylvania, March 11, 1845. They have five children: Elberta F., Carrie E., William W., Harry C., and Lewis S. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHELTON, William H.
Deepwater Township - William H. Shelton, section 12, is a native of Missouri, and was born in Cass County, August 10, 1839. A.M. Shelton, his father, married Miss Permelia C. Lyon. They were both natives of Virginia, where they were raised and married. Coming to Missouri in 1831 or 1832, they located first in Jackson County, near Independence, and after living there about three years, came to Cass County and entered land and improved a farm near Harrisonville. They resided there three years, and afterward improved two other farms in the county. William H. located in Bates County in 1856 with his parents. He spent his youth on a farm, and has acquired a fair education. He served in the Confederate Army during the war, having enlisted in 1862, in Colonel O'Kane's Infantry. He participated in a number of important engagements in Missouri, and was in the service six months. When Order No. 11 was issued he, with his father's family, went to Illinois, and settled in Madison County, where they farmed about one year, then moved to Macon County, and there W.H. engaged in the butcher business until the fall of 1865, when they returned to Missouri. Mr. Shelton was married in Henry County, December 25, 1873, to Miss J.A. Parish, daughter of J. and Ellen F. Parish. She is a native of Virginia, and was born April 3, 1840. Mr. S. subsequently located on a farm in Bates County, near Johnstown, and in December, 1875, moved to his present place. He has forty-nine acres of land in a good state of cultivation, with a bearing orchard. Mr. and Mrs. Shelton have three children: Gertrude, born in November, 1874; William Madison, born December 14, 1876; and Llewella, born January 18, 1878. Mr. S. is a member of the M.E. Church, South, which he joined in 1871, and of which he is one of the leading supporters. He is also superintendent of the Sabbath school. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - J.C. Shepherd was born in Monroe County, Illinois, January 12, 1852, and is a son of J.F.O. Shepherd, a native of Kentucky and a farmer by occupation. He passed his younger days on his father's farm in Illinois and was educated in the common schools of that state. In 1869 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and resumed farming, following that occupation until June, 1881, when he moved into Adrian and accepted a situation as salesman with Duncan & McCory. In September, 1882, he purchased an interest in the business and is now a member of the firm of McCory & Co. They carry a complete assortment of dry goods, clothing, boots, shoes and groceries, and are receiving liberal patronage from the citizens of this locality. Mr. S. was township clerk for one year. He is a member of the Baptist Church. He married Miss Annie Griner, of Missouri, November 6, 1879. They have two children, Fred C. and Alvin Earl. Mr. S.'s father and mother had ten children, six sons and four daughters, he being the seventh child. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Jesse Shepherd, farmer, section 25, was born in Burke County, North Carolina, February 19, 1814, his parents being James and Millie (Gilmore) Shepherd, natives of North Carolina. When Jesse was thirteen years of age they removed to Tennessee, where he was reared on a farm, attending for a time the common schools. After arriving at manhood he engaged in farming, which he followed until 1841, then coming to Bates County, Missouri. One year later he went to Jasper County, where he spent three years, from whence he moved to Miller County, and thence to Cooper County, where he remained until 1863, when he visited Howard County. Going to Johnson County, he farmed in that locality until 1878, when he again came to Bates County. His farm contains eighty acres of some of the best land in the county, well improved, with good house, orchard, etc. In 1861, Mr. S. organized Company A, Ninth Missouri Volunteers, and was captain of the company. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. April 13, 1836, Mr. Shepherd was married to Miss Elizabeth Burk, a native of Tennessee. They have five children living: John, Mary Ann, R.P., Francis E. and George. They lost four: Kennie P., Martha J., Samuel Z.T. and Norris. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHEPPARD, John H.
Shawnee Township - John H. Sheppard was born in what was then Van Buren County, Missouri, December 28, 1841, and was a son of Jesse Sheppard, a sketch of whom will be found in this work. When John was small his parents removed to Cooper County, where he attained his growth and received a fair education in the common schools of that county. In 1861, he served about six months in the Missouri State Guard, and then went to Howard County, where he remained until the close of the war, with the exception of about one year, spent in freighting upon the plains. In 1866 he removed to Johnson County and resumed farming. In 1868, on March 12, he married Miss Virginia Smith, a native of Johnson County, and continued his farming operations there until the year 1882, when he came to his present home. His house, costing $1,000, is on section 5, and his farm contains 360 acres, all of which is in good condition. Mr. S. is connected with the Methodist Church, South, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and his wife have but one child, Lillian M. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - R.P. Sheppard, farmer, was born in Cooper County, Missouri, September 7, 1845, and is the sixth of nine children. His parents were Jesse and Elizabeth (Burke) Sheppard. He remained upon his father's farm until about nineteen years old, receiving a fair common school education, and in 1864 he went west to the plains and for four years was employed in freighting to points in Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming and Montana. He returned to Missouri, and December 6, 1868, he married Miss Anna E. Lowe, a native of Howard County, where she was born April 11, 1852. In 1869 he came to this county, and has since followed farming and raising stock. He lives on section 34, and has a farm of 160 acres in a good state of cultivation. Mr. Sheppard has recently opened a coal bank on his farm. He handles annually about thirty head of cattle, ten horses and sixty hogs. Himself and wife are identified with the Baptist Church. They have three children living: William H., Katie E. and Mary A. Eva Lee died in 1876 when three years old. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHOBE, Hudson T.
Osage Township - Hudson T. Shobe, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Benton County, Missouri, July 5, 1849, his parents being Johnson and Nancy M. Shobe nee Tucker, both natives of Kentucky, who settled in Missouri about 1841. Hudson is the youngest of five children, two of whom are sisters, Sallie (the wife of Zack Taylor, at Butler), and Mary A. (wife of William Yancy, of Altona). His brother Luther is in Oregon, and Cyrus is at Windsor, Henry County. Mrs. Shobe died when our subject was quite young, and his father subsequently married Miss Elizabeth Calmes, by whom he had ten children, seven of whom are living. The second child, W. Haley Shobe, is in partnership with Hudson in business at present. H.T. received a common school education, and when eighteen years old began farming for himself, and when twenty-two he was married, on August 21, 1872, to Miss Amanda C. Oliver, of Callaway County. In 1861, the family removed from Benton to Pettis County, and after spending seven years there went to Saline, where they lived until 1875, coming to Bates County in that year. For one year they resided near Altona. In the fall of 1877, Mr. Shobe entered the hardware store of his brother Luther, at Butler, and remained nearly three years with him. He then became proprietor of the Planter's House (now Ohio), which he conducted one year, afterwards buying sheep in Arkansas and driving to Bates. In November, 1880, he entered into his present business at the mines, near Rich Hill, in connection with J.D. Thurman, the firm being Thurman & Shobe. In March, 1882, it was changed to H.T. Shobe & Brother. Mr. S. has had four children: Herbert Johnson, Luther, and Ollie, dying at five years of age, and Zetta. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deer Creek Township - Aaron Showalter, farmer, section 20, was born in Wabash County, Indiana, February 20, 1847. His father, Daniel H. Showalter, was a farmer and minister by calling and a native of Virginia. In 1836 he married Annie Brown, originally from Ohio. Aaron was the fifth child of a family of five sons and four daughters. He received a common school education and remained at home on his father's farm until 1863, when the latter died. He then worked on a farm in Miami County until 1868, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, engaging in farming. His estate now consists of 108 acres, 100 acres of which are under fence. This farm is well improved and above the average for stock purposes. Mr. S. deals extensively in stock. He has taken a great interest in educational matters since becoming a resident of Missouri. He is a member of the Congressional Brethren Church. November 1, 1868, he married Miss Hannah Mull, a daughter of Joseph Mull. She was born in Indiana, October 6, 1845. They have three children living: Sarah E., John M. and Annie. They lost one child, Mary Alice, born August 19, 1871, and died December 29, 1872. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SHUBERT, James L.
Summit Township - James L. Shubert was born in Montgomery County, Kentucky, November 12, 1845. His father, William C. Shubert, and also his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Stephens, were born in the same county. James L. spent his youth on his father's farm, attending the subscription schools. He also passed one year at the Abingdon College, and has acquired a good English education. He was married in his native county, April 17, 1870, to Miss Sallie Stephens, a daughter of John L. Stephens, of Montgomery County. In the spring of 1872, Mr. Shubert moved to Missouri and first located in Pettis County, but after living there about six months came to Bates County in the fall of the same year. In the spring of 1873 he moved on his present farm, where he now resides. He has 100 acres of land in his home place, all fenced and in cultivation, with a substantial farm house and a bearing young orchard. This place is located in section 9. Mr. and Mrs. Shubert have one child, Bertha, who was born December 3, 1880. Mr. S. is Democratic in politics and takes a great interest in the political issues of the day. He was nominated by his party and elected township trustee in the spring of 1876, and was afterwards re-elected. Mrs. Shubert is a member of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SICK, William F.
Osage Township - William F. Sick, dealer in hardware, stoves, and tinware, came originally from Kansas, where he was born February 26, 1861. When he was five years old his father's family settled in Ottawa, Kansas, where he was reared and educated. At the age of fifteen years he began the trade of tinsmith, at which he was engaged in that locality till 1879. Then he continued the same occupation at Humboldt, Kansas, until March 1881, when he came to Rich Hill, embarking in the hardware business, under the firm name of William Sick & Co. He remained as the managing partner of that house till August 1882, when he withdrew and established his present business, in which he has been successful. Mr. Sick was united in marriage July 26, 1882, to Miss Mamie M. Schmidt, a native of Illinois. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SIMPSON, James R.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James R. Simpson, the present popular recorder of Bates County, came originally from Jackson County, Missouri, where he was born June 24, 1843. His father, James M. Simpson, a native of Kentucky, removed to Jackson County, Missouri, when eighteen years of age, and was there united in marriage with Miss Frances Cummings, daughter of R.W. Cummings, then Indian agent, and among the first white settlers of Jackson County. They had ten children, James R. being the eighth in number. His father died in 1863, and the death of his mother occurred in 1867. The subject of this sketch accompanied the family to Cass County when he was five years old, and there he resided until twelve years of age, when he came to Bates County. Here he was brought up and educated, giving his attention to agricultural pursuits until elected sheriff of the county. In 1861 he enlisted in Captain Irwin's company of Colonel Peyton's regiment, Missouri State Guards, and in the following year he enlisted in Company I under J.T. Crisp, serving until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Oak Hills, Helena and Little Rock, Arkansas, and Carthage, Missouri, and at the close of hostilities he was a second lieutenant. March 24, 1870, Mr. Simpson was married to Miss A. Lutsenhizer, a Missourian by birth. They have two children, Olive L. and Stella M. Mr. S. is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. For three years he was assessor of Deepwater Township, and on November 7, 1882, he was elected recorder of Bates County, which position he is now filling to the satisfaction of all. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SIMS, Archer L.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Archer L. Sims is a member of the firm of Sims & Tucker. The subject of this sketch is a native of Saline County, Missouri, and was born September 4, 1857. He resided in that locality until 1869, when with the family he removed to Johnson County, Missouri. This was his home for two years, at the expiration of which time he returned to Saline County. There he was engaged in farming for two years, and in 1875 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and in 1877 was appointed deputy recorder under J.L. Pace. This position he continued to hold till the expiration of that official's term. In December, 1881, Mr. Sims became a member of the abstract and loan firm of Sims & Tucker. He belongs to the blue lodge, chapter and commandery, A.F. & A.M., and now holds the office of secretary of those lodges. Mr. Sims is a young man of more than ordinary ability and is meeting with that success in life which he richly deserves. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - J.C. Skaggs, proprietor of livery and feed stable, on Park Street, east side of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, was born in Clay County, Missouri, June 17, 1845. His parents, Jonathan D. and Mary (Estus) Skaggs, were natives of Kentucky. The former died while in Cass County, Missouri, in 1881, and Mrs. Mary Skaggs now lives with her son, J.C. He was eight years of age when his father and family moved to Cass County, Missouri, the county in which he grew to manhood. He was principally engaged in farming while there, but for two years gave his attention to the butcher business at Pleasant Hill. In 1878 he went to Colorado and was occupied in conducting a livery at Silver Cliff for two years, when he returned to Pleasant Hill. In September, 1880, he came to Rich Hill, and here he has since been interested in the livery business. He is one of Rich Hill's most enterprising men and has been one of its aldermen since January, 1881. December 20, 1866, Mr. Skaggs was married to Miss Mary Skaggs, of Cass County, Missouri. She died July 8, 1872, leaving four children, two of whom are now living, Willis and Mollie. Miss Mattie Bailey, of Illinois, became the second wife of Mr. Skaggs, their marriage occuring March 1, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SMITH, Alvin Jay
Alvin Jay Smith, lawyer and vice president of the Adrian Banking Company, of Adrian, Bates County, was born in a log cabin in Delaware County, Ohio, May 23, 1855, son of John J. and Deborah H. (Blue) Smith. His father, who was born in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, June 6, 1816, in boyhood moved with his parents to Delaware County, Ohio, where he taught school until he was thirty years of age. In 1869 he removed to Bates County, Missouri, where the remainder of his life was spent on a farm. His first wife, a native of Virginia, died when the subject of this sketch was an infant. His second wife was Martha Livingston, daughter of Judge Livingston, of Franklin County, Ohio. The children of the first union were Dr. Norman P. Smith, of Paris, Illinois; Mary E., widow of William H. Walter, of Warrensburg, Missouri; Dr. Harvey B. Smith, who died at Shelbyville, Illinois, January 6, 1894; John C., a merchant at Adrian, Missouri; Alvin J., and a daughter who died in infancy. John J. Smith was a careful businessman. When he came to Missouri he was in debt, but when he died he left valuable property. He always followed the golden rule, and if he ever did an injustice to a fellow man it was through an error of judgment. The education of Alvin J. Smith, his youngest son, was begun in the public schools of Ohio. In 1896 he accompanied his father to Bates County, Missouri, where his education was continued, principally at the Butler Academy. After leaving the last named institution he began the study of law under the direction of Judge William Page, of Butler, teaching school in the meantime for the purpose of earning money enough to complete his legal education. The end sought was finally accomplished and he entered the law department of the State University at Columbia, graduating in the class of 1881, of which he was valedictorian. In the same year he was admitted to the bar before Judge James Gantt, chief justice of the Supreme Court of Missouri, after a most rigid examination. After the conclusion of the examination, Judge Gantt descended from the bench and grasping the hand of the applicant warmly congratulated him on the unusually successful issue of the test to which he had been subjected, and incident rarely witnessed. Upon receiving his coveted certificate Mr. Smith began practice in the office of his preceptor, Judge Page, at Butler, and was successful from the start. About a year later he went to Ohio to visit his brother, John C. Smith, remaining there for seven months and spending all the money he had earned while engaged in professional work in Butler. Returning home he went to Yates Centre, Kansas, and made arrangements to engage in practice there, but in deference to the wishes of his father, then residing in Adrian, he decided to locate there, where he has had a successful career since May 23, 1883. Mr. Smith has always been devoted to the principles of the Republican party, in the success of which he has been actively interested. Even before he was of age he was ardent in his support of the cause of Republicanism, as an incident in his college career will show. The law class of which he was a member contained only half a dozen young Republicans, and of these he was recognized as the leader, by reasons of his forcefulness and oratorical ability. The city of Columbia was strongly Democratic, but the young men determined to show their colors during the campaign. They congregated on one of the strees and were addressing the assembled crowd, when the meeting was broken up by a crowd of roughs. Adjournment was taken to the courthouse, and while young Smith was speaking to a crowd that filled the room, a missle was thrown upon the platform. Determined to stand upon his rights, he stepped to the front of the platform and in tones whose meaning was unmistakable, announced that the next assault of that kind would be followed by the adoption of measures that would put an end to the trouble. This announcement was sufficiently corrective and the meeting proceeded without further disorder. Its result was the organization of the first Republican club of that campaign in Boone County. Mr. Smith's first vote was cast for Grant. For fifteen years he has been city attorney at Adrian, the only public office he has ever held. He has never asked for political preferment, nor cared for it, but has accepted nominations to office only upon the demand of his party. He has been the Republican nominee for school commissioner, prosecuting attorney and Representative in the State Legislature from Bates County, and on each occasion ran a head of his ticket, though not elected, the Democratic majority of 1,500, in that county being too large to overcome. For fifteen years he has been attorney for the Adrian Banking Company, and since 1899 has been vice president of that corporation. His other interest include 300 acres of fine farming land and several valuable lots in Adrian. Fraternally he is a charter member of Adrian Lodge No. 13, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has passed all the chairs, and a member of the Order of Knights of Pythias. He was married, September 30, 1885, to Laura M. Hunter, daughter of Watson M. Hunter, now of Sumner County, Kansas. They are the parents of three children, Alvin Claton, Martha Elizabeth and Leon Hunter Smith. Mr. Smith is in every respect a self-made man. Since boyhood he has fought his way unaided and has surmounted innumerable obstacles, until he is to-day a leader in his profession. He is a man of great originality of thought and possessed a wonderful good nature. Nevertheless, he is quick to resent anything which appears to be an imposition and has no sympathy with trickery or unfairness in law or politics. Versatile and quick of wit, and of fine oratorical ability, he is a powerful speaker. He has also a comprehensive knowledge of the principles of the law, and his ability to apply these principles to the causes intrusted to his care have given him well deserved prominence in the legal profession. He is a brilliant conversationalist, companionable and very popular, not only among his professional brethren, but with the general public as well. (Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901)
Howard Township - B.H. Smith, dealer in groceries and provisions, etc., at Sprague, came originally from Madison County, Kentucky, where he was born in May, 1844. His parents, James and Mary Smith nee Howard, were natives of that same county, and with them he moved to Cooper County, Missouri. After living there one year, they went to Howard County, where B.H. was educated, attending for a time Central College. In 1878, he came to Bates County, Missouri, improved a fine farm in New Home Township, and in April, 1881, entered into business at Sprague, where he has met with that excellent success which he well deserves. He married Miss Maria Hughes, a native of Howard County, Missouri. They have four children: Katie, Lizzie B., Ada R. and Eugene. They are both church members. Mr. Smith is a Master Mason in good standing. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SMITH, Charles E.
Rockville Township - Charles E. Smith, farmer, was born in Wayne County, Pennsylvania, April 5, 1846, and was the third of a family of eight children. His parents were Lewis and Hannah T. Smith, also originally from Pennsylvania. Charles was reared on the farm, where he remained until about twelve years old. Then the family moved to Iowa, where they lived three years. In 1857 they came to Bates County, but after remaining here two years returned to Pennsylvania. In 1868, Mr. Smith came back to his former western home, and has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, with the exception of ten years, while working in a mill at Butler. His farm, which is located on section 9, contains 180 acres, is nearly all under fence and well improved. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SMITH, George L.
Mt. Pleasant Township - George L. Smith, proprietor of livery and feed stable, is a native of Crawford County, Indiana and was born February 28, 1847. When eight years of age he accompanied his father's family to Monroe County, Iowa, and after a years residence there they returned to Indiana, settling in Monroe County. George was reared on a farm in that locality, receiving his education from the common schools. In 1868 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and engaged in farming, which he continued till embarking in his present business, November 1, 1880, the firm being then Williams & Smith. In February, 1881, the firm name was changed to Smith & Scott, they remaining in partnership till August, 1882, when Mr. Smith became sole proprietor. His barn is well stocked and he is enjoying a good train. He was married July 11, 1867, to Miss Mary Cooper. They have four children: Lillie, Estilla, John and Harlen. Mr. S. is a member of the I.O.O.F. lodge of this city. In 1864 he enlisted in Company I, Seventeenth Indiana Regiment and served until the close of the war. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SMITH, James A.
Deer Creek Township - James A. Smith, farmer, section 29, was born in Clark County, Indiana, November 12, 1837. His father, Ashbul Smith, was wagon maker by trade, and a native of Indiana. His mother's maiden name was Matilda Kelley, also of Indiana. James was the eldest of four sons. He was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools, and in 1855 he left Indiana with his father's family, and located near Austin, Cass County, Missouri, where they followed farming for about three years. Then they moved into the town of Austin. There the subject of this sketch was occupied in the livery business. He enlisted in June 1861, in Company C, Missouri Home Guard, and was mustered out in about nine months, when he re-inlisted in the Missouri State Militia, with whom he remained nineteen months. After this he enlisted in the Second Missouri Artillery. He was mustered out November, 1864. After the war Mr. Smith resumed the livery business in Kansas City until 1867, when he returned to Austin where he farmed until 1879. At that date he came to Bates County. His farm contains forty acres of average land, well improved, with a good orchard and brick house. On December 10, 1865, Mr. S. married Amelia Huff, a native of Indiana. They are members of the Baptist Church. They have one child living, Jessie F. They lost two: Freddie and an infant. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SMITH, Jason W.
New Home Township - Jason W. Smith was born in Madison County, Kentucky, May 21, 1835. His parents were James and Nancy (Howard) Smith, natives of Kentucky. He is the third of seven children, six of whom are boys. One brother, Benjamin H., is in a grocery store at Sprague; the remainder are living in Kentucky and in Howard County, Missouri, one brother, Thomas, being probate judge of the latter county. When Jason was about eighteen years old he was sent to Missouri, to attend the state university at Columbia, which institution he attended for about one year. He then entered Central College at Fayette for some time, after which he began to teach and taught about five years in Brown County. In 1857, his father's family settled in Howard County, and his parents are still living there. When the war demoralized the society of Missouri, Mr. Smith joined the company of Todd, who was a brother-in-law, and remained in the band through the war. He was mrried in Howard County, July 28, 1858, to Miss Sarah Todd, a native of Howard County. After the war he engaged in farming, and in 1877, came to Bates County, and settled on a tract of land which his father had entered in 1857. He, in company with a cousin named William McNeil, entered about one thousand acres, and Mr. Smith's farm now consists of two hundred acres of this tract. He is handling a number of cattle, feeding about 170 head, and from 50 to 100 head of hogs. He has eight children: Mary (wife of J.S. Baskett, of Howard), Nancy, Ann, Edgar, Neriah, Minerva, James and Charley. Mr. S. is identified with the Christian Church. He is Democratic politically, and for over twenty years has been in fellowship with the Masonic fraternity. His brother, Thomas Smith, was identified with Bates County for five years previous to the war, having practiced law in Butler, while a member of the law firm of Smith & Sterns. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Summit Township - Henry Speer, section 35, the subject of this sketch, ws born in Shelby County, Ohhio, September 5, 1841. John Speer, his father, was born in Shelby County, August 31, 1808, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Nancy Richardson, the date of her birth being June 29, 1812. She was raised there. His grandmother Speer was born October 24, 1808, and is living at this date. Henry spent his youth on his father's farm, and received a good common school education. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company F, Benton Cadets, Volunteer Infantry, and served in this regiment until January, 1862. He then re-enlisted in August, 1862, in Company B, Fiftieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war, and was not away from his command one day during his enlistment. He participated in the battles of Perryville, Kentucky, Franklin and Nashville, and the engagements of the Atlanta campaign. After being mustered out, he returned to his home in Ohio, and in the summer of 1866 he came to Missouri and located at Pleasant Gap, in Bates County, where he engaged in the mercantile business. This he followed for about four years. In 1870 he bought land in Summit Township, and in 1871 moved on his present farm. He has 120 acres of land in his home place and twenty acres of timber, the former being well improved, with a fair house a splended orchard of 1,000 apple trees, mostly bearing, some 300 peach trees, etc. Mr. Speer was married here, July 1, 1869, to Miss Emma M. Boyd, a daughter of J.D. Boyd, of this county. She is a native of Ohio. They have three children: John, Minnie M. and William Percy. Mr. Speer was elected assessor of his township in 1873 or 1874, and was the Greenback candidate for representative of Bates County in 1880. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Henry Speer, whose cut heads this article, was born in Shelby county, Ohio, Sept. 5, 1841; was raised on a farm, worked in the fields in summers and attended the country school from three to six months in the winter. His father dying when he was thirteen years of age he was thrown upon his own resources, and was to a great extent his own master at a very early period in his career. He saw active service in the Union army during the war. First enlisted in Co. F Benton Cadets, or Freemont's Infantry Guard, and was with Freemont in his Missouri campaign in 1861. After Freemont was relieved of the command in Missouri this regiment, which was irregular, was ordered to St. Louis, and on January 8th, 1862, was mustered out of the service. He returned to his home in Ohio and remained till July, 1862, when he enlisted in Co. B 50th Ohhio Infantry, with which he remained to the close of the war, and has a record as a soldier of which he is justly proud. He came to Bates county in 1866 and has been a citizen of the county ever since. He has been closely identified with the fruit interests of the county and is at present engaged in the Nursery business at this place. Since the above was written, Mr. Speer has been called to his reward beyond the dark river. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Hudson Township - Collins Spencer is a native of New York, and was born in Oneida County, May 30, 1829, and was the son of George and Dolly (Stewart) Spencer, natives of the same state. George Spencer served in the war of 1812. He filled several local offices in his township during his life time. Collins grew to manhood in the county of his birth, his youth being spent on the farm and at the public schools. He also attended the Ricetown Seminary. Moving west to Illinois, in 1852, he settled in LaSalle County, where he resided until 1866. He was married in Illinois, in February, 1865, to Miss Mary E. Baker, a daughter of R. Baker, Esq. She was born in Monroe County, New York. After this event Mr. Spencer lived in Illinois about one year, and in the fall of 1856 he came to Missouri and settled first in Henry County. The following March he moved to Bates County, and in the spring of 1871, located on the farm where he now resides. He has 120 acres of land, all fenced and in cultivation, with a comfortable house and a young bearing orchard, located in section 21. Mr. and Mrs. Spencer have a family of six children: Mary A., Elsie B., George B., Ella B., Oscar and Herbert. Mr. S. is a supporter of the principles of the Republican party, and was once nominated and elected justice of the peace of his township. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
New Home Township - Marcus Stafford, coal contractor, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, about the year 1850, and came to America fourteen years ago. He began to work in coal mines when eight years old and has followed mining all his life. He labored in the Drummond Park Mine at a depth of 1,800 feet, then was employed in the zinc mines where he remained eighteen months. When he emigrated to America he first worked in the Pennsylvania coal mines one year and then went to Wyoming in search for gold. He prospected and mined through Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Idaho and Montana and about one year ago began work in the Rich Hill mines and has dug coal since until the first of November, 1882, when, with Mr. Barker, he took the contract of loading the cars in shaft No. 1. Mr. Stafford was married about eight years ago to Miss Eliza Boyd. They have one child, a boy, William. He is a Republican in his political preferences, a Mason and belongs to the order of the Knights of Pythias. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mingo Township - C.P. Staley, famer and stock-raiser, is the owner of a farm situated in section 28, containing eighty acres of choice land all in cultivation and well improved. He was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, February 12, 1849. His father, Abraham Staley, was a native of Virginia. He removed to Missouri in an early day and with his enterprise helped to build up one of the greatest states in the Union. His mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Dickson, also of Virginia. C.P. was the sixth of a family of seven children. He was reared to manhood on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools. When twenty-one years old he took a trip to the Lone Star State, but after a short time visited Montana, where he was engaged in the cattle business for five years. In 1876 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and has since followed farming and stock-raising. Mr. S. was constable of this township for two years. November 11, 1880, he married Miss Lou Tye, a native of Missouri. They have one child, Arthur, born August 15, 1881. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STANDISH, S.L., M.D.
Walnut Township - S.L. Standish, M.D., came originally from DuPage County, Illinois, where he was born in 1843. His parents were H.C. and Ollie (Branson) Standish, natives of New York State, who settled in Illinois in 1824. Our subject was educated in the schools of Warrenville and Chicago, and in 1865 he commenced the study of medicine under L.C. Newton at Danville, Illinois. In 1868 he graduated from the Rush Medical College of Chicago. Then he came to Battes County, Missouri, and is now the owner of a fine farm in section 28 of 500 acres of excellent land. In 1869 he married Miss S. Standish, who was born in 1852 in Illinois. They have a family of four children: Orra, Leslie, Chancey and Nellie. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - Zachariah Stanley, deceased, was born in St. Clair County, Illinois, November 11, 1825. His father, John Stanley, was born in North Carolina in 1787, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Holcomb, was born in South Carolina in 1810. Zachariah was raised a farmer and received a good education. He started in life on a farm which he purchased very low. His fine improvements and on account of its being situated near the county seat (Bellville) advanced the value so that in 1873 he sold the 100 acres for $275 per acre and came to Butler and bought a place, which he improved from year to year. He did a private banking or loaning business and spent much of his time about his home, atetnding to his home duties and hunting, of which he was very fond. He was often urged to accept offices in the city but he preferred a quiet life to any position of honor or trust. He married Miss Eliza Powell in 1870. She was the daughter of Levi Powell, of Perry County, Ohio. Her mother, formerly Amanda Nall, was a Virginian by birth. By this marriage there were six children, three of whom are living: Cora O., Albert Oscar and Josiah Patterson; John Wesley died August 21, 1873; Arthur Hugo died in 1874, and Pearl died October 21, 1881. We here give an account of the death of Mr. Zachariah Stanley which is taken from the Times of this city. "The death of Mr. Zachariah Stanley on Friday, last, May 6, 1881, was as sad as it was sudden. In company with Mr. M.A. Burkhart and a Mr. Taber, Mr. Stanley went down to Mound Branch to fish. About 2 o'clock p.m. a severe rain storm came up which caught the three gentlemen on the creek. Messrs. Burkhart and Taber took shelter under the trunk of a fallen tree, while Mr. Stanley took shelter under a large tree. The bolt of lightning struck the top of the tree and ran down till it came within a few feet of the ground, when it left the tree and entered the body of the deceased, tearing his clothing and killing him instantly. The funeral took place on Sunday and was among the largest ever seen in this city. Mr. Stanley was one of the honored Mexican veterans who enlisted uner Colonel Dan Morrison in 1846. He belonged to no church or society but endeavored to live the life of a strictly honorable and honest man. In the sad death of Mr. Stanley Butler and Bates County has lost a substantial and beloved citizen." (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - R.J. Starke was born in Cooper County, Missouri, November 9, 1846. His parents, Dryden and Sarah (Pryor) Starke, were natives of Kanawha County, West Virginia. R.J. Starke was reared in Cooper County, Missouri, where he was engaged in farming till 1869, when he came to Bates County, and located on a farm. In April, 1880, he went to Colorado and gave him attention to mining and prospecting for about five months, since which time he has resided in Rich Hilll, occupied in various branches of business. He served as city marshal for eight months. September 16, 1882, he was nominated by the Democratic party as their candidate for county clerk, and was elected on November 7, following. August 16, 1873, Mr. Starke was married to Miss Mary E. Poage, a native of Bates County, Missouri. They have five children: Leroy B., Lelia E., Dryden P., Burton G. and Lena G. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STEELE, F.M., Judge
Hudson Township - Judge F.M. Steele is a prominent citizen of Hudson Township. He is a native of Missouri, and was born in Calloway County, December 21, 1833. His father, Harden Steele, was a Kentuckian by birth, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Minnie Ann Howell. Harden Steele came to Missouri, about the year 1827, and located in Callaway County, and was one of the pioneers there, and also of Jackson County, whither he moved in 1836. F.M. Steele spent his youth in Jackson County on the farm, attending the subscription school, where he was educated. In the spring of 1857, he came to Bates County, and was engaged in working at the carpenter's trade until after the war. In the fall of 1869, he located upon his present farm, where he owns 340 acres of land, 320 fenced, upon it there being a good dwelling, and an orchard of about 200 bearing apple trees, besides peaches, etc. Mr. Steele was married in Bates County, December 12, 1858, to Miss Rebecca W. Meyers, a daughter of Judge John D. Meyers, of Bates County. She was born in Indiana, but was raised and educated here. They have a family of five children: Emmett A., Robert E., Charles B., John H., and Arthur F. Mr. and Mrs. Steele are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The former is a Democrat in politics and has filled numerous official positions. In 1878 he was elected justice of the peace of Hudson Township, and in 1880, was elected one of the county judges, and is serving in that capacity at this writing with great satisfaction. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - H.C. Steele, of the firm of Steele & Kennedy, grain dealerse and proprietors of elevator, owes his nativity to Lee County, Iowa, where he was born March 4, 1844. He passed his youth at his birthplace, and when eighteen years of age enlisted in the United States Army, in Company D, Seventh Iowa Regiment, serving three years. During this time he was with General Sherman on his famous "March to the Sea". In 1865 he returned home, and in the fall of that year attended Bryant & Statton's Business College at Chicago, Illinois. In July, 1866, he removed to Pleasant Hill, Missouri, and for two years was engaged in teaching school in that vicinity. In 1868 he came to Bates County, and until 1873 gave his attention to agricultural pursuits, in which year he embarked in the grocery business in Butler. There he remained until 1879, when he resumed farming. In July, 1881, he started his present business. Messrs. Steele & Kennedy now do a large portion of this trade at Butler, and have succeeded in becoming one of the principal firms here. Mr. S. was married, August 25, 1868, to Miss Jessie Patterson, a native of Iowa. They had three children: Joseph P., Alice S. and Charles H. Mrs. Steele departed this life on the 7th of April, 1880. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STEELE, Levi H.
Lone Oak Township - Levi H. Steele is among the principal farmers of this township, and is the eldest of the Steele brothers, two of whom, John and Henry, are in the grain business at Butler, and Winfield S. lives six miles west of town. There are also two sisters: Mary, the wife of Dr. Everingham, and Susie Valiant, living in Elk County, Kansas. Levi Steele was born in Sangamon County, Illinois, November 17, 1831. His parents, William and Nancy (Jones) Steele, came originally from Kentucky. His mother is still living with her son Henry at Butler. His father died in November, 1880, at Butler. In 1837 they settled near West Point, Lee County, Iowa, where the subject of this sketch grew to manhod, receiving a good high school education. In addition thereto he attended the Des Moines College for some time, but did not remain long enough to entitle him to graduation. In the year 1855 he entered a tract of land in Knox County, Missouri, where he lived a short time, and while there he was married, on January 31, 1856, to Miss Amanda C. Lyon, who was born in Ohio, but reared in Missouri. Her father, Hezekiah Lyon, and his two brothers, John and Eli, were among the pioneers of Knox County. In 1858, Mr. Steele moved to Adair County, and lived there until 1861, when he returned to West Point, Iowa, residing there until 1867. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in Company I, of the Thirtieth Iowa, and went out as orderly sergeant. His service was mainly in Missouri and Arkansas, and he participated in the battles at Helena and Vicksburg. He was attacked with a severe illness, and being rendered unfit for military duty was discharged in June, 1863, at St. Louis. In 1867, Mr. Steele returned to Adair County, Missouri, but in 1869, believing that the southwest presented a better field for operations, he sold his farm and came to Bates County, and is now living on his original purchase. He has a finely improved place of 200 acres, situated seven miles southeast of Butler. He handles quite a number of cattle, feeding from forty to fifty head and from 100 to 150 head of hogs. He is taking a practical interest in good stock, and has on hand a number of short-horn heifers from the famous Hamilton herd, of Kentucky. His family consists of four children: Mary, the eldest, who has been a teacher for several terms at Butler and Rich Hill, and now in Schuyler County; Ella, the wife of George Baker, a prominent young farmer; Willie, and Kittie. Mr. Steele and wife are connected with the Baptist Church, and he has been a member of the Masonic order for twenty-five years. He is Republican in politics, and holds advanced views on civil, moral and religious questions. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STEELE, Winfield Scott
New Home Township - Winfield Scott Steele was born in Lee County, Iowa, March 24, 1842, and is the sixth of nine children, his parents being William and Nancy (Jones) Steele. Winfield enjoyed the advantages of a course of study at the academy at Denmark, Iowa, and at the age of eighteen years began to teach school in his native state, at which he continued until he entered the service by enlisting January 16, 1861, at Burlington, Iowa, in the First Iowa Cavalry, under Colonel Fitz Henry Warren. His service extended through Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee and Texas, and he was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Bayou Metre, Little Rock, and upon General Steele's campaign into Southern Arkansas. At Little Rock he was granted a veteran's furlough, and in September, 1864, he returned to Little Rock and re-enlisted and reported at Memphis for duty. He was then attached to General Rosecran's body guard, and as such came into Missouri during the Price raid. In the spring of 1865, he was sent to Tennessee, and in July of the same year to Louisiana and Texas, under General Custer. He was corporal and had charge of Tom Custer's body guard. He was not discharged until February 14, 1866, at Austin, Texas. Returning to Iowa, Mr. S. remained there one year, when he came to Bates County, and began to teach school. In 1869, he secured his present farm. He was married January 2, 1870, to Miss Martha A. Hill, daughter of John Hill, of Charlotte Township. She is also a native of Iowa, having been born in Linn County. They have five children: Herbert Levi, William, Jessie Alice, John and Nancy Caroline. Since his marriage Mr. Steele has been occupied in farming, and in connection has often engaged in teaching. He is one of the standard teachers of the county. Himself and wife are connected with the Baptist Church, of which he is one of its most influential workers. In politics he is a Republican. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STEVENS, William, Captain
Pleasant Gap Township - Captain William Stevens is among the substantial and enterprising farmers of this township. He is a native of Suffolk County, Long Island, New York, and was born April 28, 1836. His parents, Halsey, and Elizabeth (Halleck) Stevens, were also natives of New York. His mother was a niece of General Halleck. William Stevens was reared on a farm, attending the common schools of his native county. When eighteen he went upon the water as a sailor and followed that business for two years. In 1856, going to Minnesota, he located in Winona County, where he was occupied in farming for about five years. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Seventh Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, and went on the frontier against the Indians under Colonel Marshal and helped capture and execute thirty-nine Indians at Mankato in the fall of 1863. His regiment then moved south and served till the close of the war, participating in the battles of Nashville, Spanish Fort and Mobile. Mr. Stevens was discharged at St. Paul, Minnesota, in August, 1865. After his discharge he remained in Minnesota till the following spring and then returned to Long Island where he spent the summer. In the fall of 1866 he came to Missouri and located on the farm where he now resides in section 18. He owns 300 acres of land with 220 acres under fence and well improved. There is a fine orchard of 800 bearing and 1,200 young trees on the place. The past season he harvested 2,000 bushels of apples. He is also largely engaged in potato growing; the crop of 1881 reaching 1,500 bushels, and of 1882 over 2,000 bushels. Mr. Stevens was married here February 25, 1868, to Miss Sophia S. Requa, a native of Bates County, and a daughter of the Rev. William Requa, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Stevens have two children: Milton A. and Norman H. They also have one adopted daughter, Maud B. Mrs. S. is a member of the M.E. Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STITH, George W.
Geo. W. Stith was born near Mt. Sterling, Montgomery county, Kentucky, February 27, 1843. Received a common school education. Removed to Johnson county, Mo., in 1868, thence to Bates county in 1881. He has held the office of Treasurer and Justice of the Peace in Deepwater township, Bates county, Mo. He enlisted in the Confederate army in September, 1861, and served three and a half years, in the First Kentucky, mounted, and in the Eighth Kentucky Cavalry, under General John Morgan, and captured during his raid into Ohio in July, 1863. He was married in Johnson county, Mo., in 1870, and has two children. In 1898 he was nominated by the democrats and elected Associate Judge of the County Court, and is now serving the people acceptably in that capacity. He is a consistent member of the Christian church. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Osage Township - J.A. Stonebraker, agent at Rich Hill for the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad, owes his nativity to Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, where he was born on the 22d day of March, 1828. He was there brought up and educated, and while in that vicinity was engaged as clerk in a drug store. In 1849 he went to Scott County, Iowa, and was occupied in the mercantile trade till 1869, when he moved to Douglass County, Kansas, being agent for the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Galveston Railroad till 1878. Going to Arcadia, Kansas, he was agent there for the Gulf Railroad till he was transferred to his present location, September 3, 1880, the date of the arrival of the first train to this city. Mr. Stonebraker was married, February 13, 1853, to Miss Susan D. Carlton, a native of Maine. They have had four children, three of whom are living: Ada B. (now Mrs. Hepner), Luella D. (now Mrs. Morse), and Wilbur C. One is deceased, Carrie E. Hathaway. Mr. S. is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STUBBLEFIELD, Robert N.
Deepwater Township - Robert N. Stubblefield, a Tennesseean by birth, was born in McMinn County, February 14, 1843. Robert Stubblefield, his father, was born in Hawkins County, Tennessee, and his mother, formerly Matilda C. Lawson, also came originally from East Tennessee. Robert N. moved with his parents to Missouri in 1857, and located in Henry County, being among the pioneers of that county. He passed his younger days on a farm and attending the common schools, where he was educated. In February 1862, he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia, in Company H, Seventh Missouri Cavalry, and served till the close of the war, having been elected corporal when his company was organized. He participated in the battles of Lone Jack and Marshall, and Price's raid, and was taken prisoner at Lone Jack and held as such for three months, when he was paroled and exchanged. After the close of the war he returned to Henry County, where he was married January 27, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth J. Dobson, a native of North Carolina, born in Stokes County. She is a daughter of J.B. and Lucinda Dobson. Soon after Mr. S. located in Clinton, Henry County, and was engaged in freighting and teaming for one year. In the fall of 1868 he came to his present farm in Bates County, where he has eighty acres, nearly all fenced and fairly improved, with a good orchard of 150 apple and a variety of small fruits. This place is located on section 13. Mr. Stubblefield is Republican in politics, and was nominated and elected constable of Deepwater Township in the fall of 1878, and has since been twice re-elected. In the spring of 1881 he was also elected township collector and is now discharging the duties of the two official positions. He and his wife have three children: Mary C., born March 16, 1870; John W., born in December, 1871; and Lula, born August 21, 1879. They have lost two children: Willie, was born December 27, 1867, and died December 27, 1879. He was a bright, intelligent child, with more than ordinary intellect and was his parents' pride and joy, and the favorite of all who knew him. Emma J. was born September 24, 1875, and died November 30, 1880. Mrs. Stubblefield is a member of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
STURTEVANT, Samuel C.
Deepwater Township - Samuel C. Sturtevant, a descendant of the old Puritan stock, traces his lineage back to the Allerton family, who were on board the Mayflower, and also to the Cushmans, who, as the agents of the Pilgrims in England, chartered the vessel for the first voyage. Samuel's father, Carleton Sturtevant, was a native of Litchfield County, Connecticut, and in 1823 emigrated to Ruggles, then of Huron, now of Ashland County, Ohio. Our subject was born on July 24, 1838. His primary education was received in the common schools, but this he supplemented with an attendance at Huron Institute, Milan, Ohio. In October, 1860, he married Adelaide E. Taylor, a most estimable lady. Emigrating to Bates County, Missouri, Mr. S. settled in Deepwater Township in the winter of 1867-68, and devoted his attention to farming and school teaching. He was a prominent citizen of this county until the summer of 1882, when he removed to Appleton City, St. Clair County. He has five children: Carleton W., now in the class of civil engineers at the State University, Columbia, Missouri; Cora Allerton, Marion Cushman, Adelaide E. and Winfield E. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SULLENS, Judge John H.
New Home Township - Judge John H. Sullens was born in Wayne County, Kentucky, October 13, 1828. His parents were Thomas Sullens and Martha nee Bomer, natives of Kentucky. The Sullens family were among the first settlers of what is now Missouri, his grandfather Peter's father having come this side of the Mississippi when the fort at St. Louis was the only defense, and often found shelter within its walls, and was there at the time the place was so ferociously attacked by Indians. John H. Sullens is the fifth of a family of ten children, six of whom are living, none but himself, however, in Missouri. One brother, Shelby, and three sisters, Elizabeth Whitten, Melinda Morrow and Martha Ann Farris, are in Grayson County, Texas, and one brother, Isaac M., in Oregon. When he was but one month old his parents came to Miller (Cole) County, Missouri, where his father was killed by a fall from the roof of a barn, in 1849. His mother died in Texas, May 2, 1877. Our subject received a limited common school education, and was married in May, 1848, when a little more than nineteen, to Miss Hannah Cowan, also a native of Wayne County, Kentucky. In 1856, Mr. Sullens engaged in merchandising in Miller County, which he continued until the war put a stop to all business. His store and contents were burned and some notes confiscated, and he left the state under a pass and went to Windsor, Canada, where he remained until the close of the war. In April, 1865, he returned to Miller County, and in August of the same year came to Bates, and began to improve a tract of 200 acres, which he had entered in 1856. He has since engaged in farming, and filled several township offices for some time. Under the first form of township organization he was supervisor for New Home Township, and elected by the board of supervisors, who constituted the county court, its chairman, and continued such so long as township organization existed. On May 20, 1873, he was elected presiding justic of the county court, his opponent being Ava E. Page. His colleagues were, Judges A.V. Bradley, of Prairie; D.C. Edwards, of Grand River; S.S. Cowan, of Charlotte; and H.W. Douglas, of Hudson. During his term of office, some of the most important financial issues that have ever affected Bates County were satisfactorily settled. One of these was the injunction case in the Jackson Circuit Court, to prevent the issue of $250,000 of bonds to the Butler branch of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. He also collected $10,000 from the bondsmen of Wesley T. Smith, the defaulting county collector, who was deficient to the extent of $15,000. In the fall of 1876, Judge Sullens resigned his position in the county court to become a candidate for representative in the legislature. He was elected and took his seat January 3, 1877, and was placed on committees on agriculture and township organization. This was a session of extremely hard work for the Missouri Legislature, in making existing laws conform to the new constitution, which had just been adopted, and we find by reference to the proceedings of that session, that upon all important questions Judge Sullens voted, not from any partisan standpoint, but from the convictions of a clear head and an honest heart. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Charles Sullivan, manufacturer of brick, and builder, etc., was born in Baltimore, Maryland, May 1, 1852. When he was a child his parents moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where he grew to manhood and when fifteen years of age he began to learn the trade of brick laying. This he has since followed, working in the different localities but making his home in St. Louis till 1880 when he came to Rich Hill. He has since been the leading workman of his trade in the city, having had the contract for building the new school building and other superior work of the place. In 1881 he began the manufacture of brick. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
SWINNEY, Edward T.
Osage Township - Edward T. Swinney, cashier of the Farmers and Manufacturers Bank, was born in Campbell County, Virginia, August 1, 1857. His parents, John H. and Salina F. (Jasper) Swinney, were also natives of Virginia. Edward T. was reared at his birthplace, obtaining his education in the State Military School of Blacksburg, Virginia. In 1875 he moved to Missouri, locating in Fayette, Howard County, till September, 1882, when he came to Rich Hill. From 1879, he had been cashier of the Davis Bank, of Fayette, Missouri, and previous to that time he was for a period occupied in the mercantile business. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)