Bates County Biographies
TALBOT, James H.
Deer Creek Township - James H. Talbot, farmer and stock raiser, section 23, was born in Cass County, Missouri, July 19, 1854, and was a son of Joshua Talbot, a farmer and stock raiser by occupation and a native of Pennsylvania. His mother, Lucinda (Smith) Talbot, was a Virginian by birth. The former came to Cass County in 1839 and located where he now resides. The subject of this sketch was reared on the farm in Cass, receiving his education in the schools of Pleasant Hill. He remained at home until 1877, when he removed to Bates County, Missouri, and resumed agricultural pursuits. His farm embraces 250 acres, all under fence, improved, well watered and well adapted to the purpose of stock farming. Mr. T. is township treasurer. February 6, 1879, he was married to Miss Lou Funk, a native of Virginia, born January 9, 1861. They have one child, Ernest, born January 15, 1880. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TAYLOR, Francis M.
Grand River Township - Francis M. Taylor, farmer, is a native of Georgia, having been born in Lumpkin County, December 7, 1846. His parents, Osborn J. and Margaret J. (Kennedy) Taylor, were both born in the Palmetto State. Francis is the fourth in a family of eleven children. His early days were spent on a farm and in acquiring an education in the inferior schools of his native state. Toward the close of the war he enlisted in the Third Georgia Regiment, and was made first lieutenant of Company B. He was on detached duty principally, but participated in the battle of Athens. He surrendered at Kimpstown, Georgia, May 18, 1865. He then farmed in Georgia until September, 1867, on the 26th of which month he was married to Miss Martha C. Cantrell, a native of the same state. They then came to Platte County, Missouri, where Mr. T. farmed until 1873, when he came to this county. He lives on a farm of fifty acres, which he has in good condition. He is one of the most intelligent men of the township, and has held the office of justice of the peace for upwards of six years. He is also township collector, and a member of the Masonic fraternity. He has a family of four children: Jefferson G., Lawrence L., William Ernest and James F. They have lost three children: John H., Mary A., and one who died in infancy. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TAYLOR, H.H., M.D.
Hudson Township - H.H. Taylor, M.D., is among the leading physicians of Bates County. He is a native of New York, and was born in Allegany County, November 30, 1840. Francis F. Taylor, his father, was born in the same county in 1809, while his mother, whose maiden name was Sarah A. Cotton, was a native of Connecticut. She was raised in New York. Francis F. died in 1844, when the subject of this sketch was but four years old. About two years after the mother married his brother, Dr. A. Taylor. H.H. Taylor spent his youth on the farm in the summer, and attending the common schools during the winter months. He was also a student at the Alfred College for about two years. In the winter of 1858 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. A. Taylor, a most eminent physician of Allegany County, and in the winter of 1859-60 he took his first course of lectures at Ann Arbor. He afterward continued this study until the breaking out of the war. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, as a private, but was shortly after promoted to second sergeant, and then to commissary sergeant of the regiment. In the spring of 1853 he was transferred to the medical department of Philadelphia, and served in the hospital under Dr. R.J. Lewis until the close of the war. While in this hospital, and through the courtesy of Dr. Lewis, Mr. Taylor attended two courses of lectures at the Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia. In the spring of 1865 he located in Chautauqua County, where he practiced his profession for about three years. In the fall of 1868 the Doctor moved to Missouri and settled in Hudson, Bates County. In 1870, upon going to Kansas City, he was associated with Dr. Evans, city physician, for one year, and while there graduated at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, in the spring of 1872. After completing his course he located at Joplin, where he practiced his profession two years. In 1874 he moved to Mercer County, Pennsylvania, but in three years, or during December, 1877, returned to Missouri and located at Hudson, where he has since been devoting his attention to his chosen calling. The Doctor has a large and increasing practice, and is accounted one of the most successful physicians in the county. He was married in Allegany County, June 8, 1859, to Miss Cynthia J. Sibley, a daughter of L. Sibley. She was born, raised and educated in that county. They have one son, Fred. S., born September 1, 1866. Dr. T., his wife and son are members of the Presbyterian Church. The Doctor belongs to the United Workmen. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - Darius Teeter, farmer and stock dealer, section 7, was born in Cayuga County, New York, May 27, 1834. Conrad Teeter, his father, originally from New Jersey, married Miss Mary Hall, who was born in the state of New York. The former moved to New York with his parents when young, and settled in Cayuga County, where he grew to manhood. Darius accompanied the family to Wisconsin in 1843, when they located in Dodge County, buying land and improving a farm. The subject of this sketch spent his youth on the farm, and received a good common school education. In the spring of 1860, he took a trip to Colorado, and was engaged in the mines, prospecting, trading, &c., for some two years. He then went to Idaho in the spring of 1862, where he was occupied in the mercantile business and mining for three years. In the winter of 1865, Mr. Teeter returned to Wisconsin and resumed farming for some three years. Selling his property in Wisconsin in the fall of 1869, in the spring of 1870, he came to Missouri, bought land and located in Bates County, and improved his present farm. He has about 200 acres, with 193 fenced, mostly with hedge and rock wall, and in a good state of cultivation. He is engaged in the handling and feeding of stock to some extent. Mr. T. was married in Portage County, Wisconsin, September 29, 1866, to Miss Emma Abbott, a daughter of Nelson and Delila Abbott. She was born in DeKalb County, Wisconsin. They have three children: George Dwight, born February 13, 1870; Cora May, born January 27, 1872, and Clarence Abbott, born May 8, 1876. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Geo. Templeton, a descendant of an early family of Virginia, of Scotch descent on the side of Michael Templeton, his father, and of an old Pennsylvania family of German descent on the side of Lovina Templeton, his mother, was born in Champion, Trumbull County, Ohio, on the 26th day of May, 1850, lived and worked on a farm and in a mill in his native county until he reached the age of about twenty-two years, up to which time his opportunities for an education had been limited to a few months attendance at district school. At this age, and at his own expense, he began the task of educating himself, and the following nine years of his time was spent alternately in attending Hiram College and Medina Normal School, in teaching and working on the farm, spending part of the time 1878 to 1881 in reading law in the office of Senator L.C. Jones, at Warren, Ohio, and in the office of the Hon. T.W. Whiteman at Carrollton, Mo., at which last named place he was admitted to the bar in January of the year last named, and in the same month located at Rich Hill where he has ever since resided and practiced his profession. He was married on December 15, 1881, to Emma J. Streator, a resident of his native neighborhood in Ohio and a member of one of the well known families in the northern part of said state; from this union two sons were born, George S. and Frank H. Judge Templeton as he is familiarly known, is a republican, conservative but strong in the faith of his party. He was nominated in 1881 for prosecuting attorney and in 1898 for state representative and in both campaigns developed a strength beyond that of his party vote. As a lawyer he has enjoyed a lucrative practice, is regarded strictly upright and noted for his fidelity to his clients. The judge's early farm attachments still cling to him as is evidenced by his ample and commodious home surroundings, he being noted for his love for fine stock, of which he is regarded an excellent judge. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
THOMAS, Jacob E.
Howard Township - Jacob E. Thomas, dealer in hardware, etc., is a native of Anderson County, Kentucky, was born in April, 1843, and is a son of Richard and Nancy Thomas, the former of Mercer and the latter of Anderson County, Kentucky. Jacob's father was killed by the falling of a tree which he was chopping, and his widowed mother, with a family of six children, came to Missouri and resided here until her death, which occurred in 1879. The subject of this sketch was reared in Franklin County, Kentucky, and started out in life as a farmer, subsequently entering the hardware business at New Home, Bates County, Missouri. When Hume sprang up, attracted by the favorable location for a business center, he came here bringing his stock with him. During the war he served as a member of Windsor's Guards, known as General Price's escorts, from January, 1862, until the close of the war. Mr. Thomas was married September 6, 1866, to Miss Vidue Goodwin, whose parents were B.F. and Elizabeth Goodwin. She was born in 1845 and died September 6, 1869. He was married the second time November 3, 1870, to Miss Mary Pryor who was born in Vernon County, Missouri, in 1855, and a daughter of William Pryor, one of the first settlers there. Mr. and Mrs. T. have four children: William H., James C., Richard R. and George Vest. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
THOMAS, John H.
Lone Oak Township - John H. Thomas is probably the oldest resident of Lone Oak Township who was born within its limits. His father, George Thomas, was a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother, whose maiden name was Mary Beaver, was born in Ohio. They were married in Licking County, Ohio, in or about 1833, and in 1837 came to Bates County and settled about two miles from the Marias des Cygnes. He was the first man to build away from the timber, and the house that he built about 1839 is now standing. Here he lived and reared a family of ten children, six of whom are now living: Margaret C. Requa, in Miami County, Kansas; Mary E. Gerkin, on the old homestead; Aaron M., in Colorado, and David B., Cyrus M. and our subject. Mr. Thomas was taken from his home December 5, 1861, and is supposed to have been killed, no definite clew having ever been given of him, and the family remain in ignorance as to the place of his burial or his execution. His wife is still living. John, the subject of this biography, is the third of the family and was born November 14, 1839, within one mile of his present home. His early life was spent here, and he received only such an education as could be acquired in the rude schools of forty years ago. When twenty years old he was married, on May 11, 1859, to Miss Hannah Mayfield, daughter of Elisha and Louisa Mayfiled, nee Mullen. She was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 7, 1839. Her parents came to Missouri in 1856, and in the following year settled on the farm on which Mr. Thomas now lives. In 1861 this latter gentleman removed his family to Miami County, Kansas, where he remained until 1868. In 1863 he enlisted in Company D, of the 15th Kansas Cavalry, and during the war served on the Missouri and Kansas border. He was discharged at Lawrence in November, 1865. They have had ten children, six of whom are living: James W. in Colorado, George W., Mary Louisa, Lizzie Lee, Margaret A. and Emma Frances. They lost a little girl in 1870 by death caused by lead poison. Mr. Thomas and wife are influential members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and are also connected with the Order of Patrons of Husbandry. He is not only an old resident, but an energetic, influential farmer and a thorough whole-souled gentleman. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
THOMAS, William R.
Lone Oak Township - William R. Thomas, one of the pioneer settlers of Bates County, was born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, September 12, 1818. His parents were Jacob and Mary (Roger) Thomas. The Thomas family are of Welsh ancestry, and the Rogers are from Germany. William R. is the sixth of thirteen children. One only beside himself now living, a sister, Sophia, in Lackawana County, Pennsylvania. Mr. T. was married in Montgomery County, in 1839, to Miss Sophia Gillinger, also a native of Pennsylvania. In 1844, he came to Missouri, and settled on the same tract of land on which he now lives. His recital of early experiences are highly interesting. In connection with his farm, he erected an old style treadmill, which was operated by oxen treading on an endless wheel. Soon afterward he made a great improvement upon this by putting up a wind mill, and with this mill, though in yet quite a primitive condition, he sawed a large part of the lumber of which Butler was first built. When first coming to Missouri he had no wagon, and to secure one he cut wheels from a cross section of a large log, and fashioned them by dishing out the sides and boring holes for the axles. With this rude contrivance he managed to do a large amount of hauling. His whole life has been one of untiring and unremitting toil, and by this he has secured for himself a good competency. His farm now consists of about nine hundred acres and he has erected one of the best country residences in the county. When the civil war rendered it necessary for him to leave Bates County, he went to Kansas where he remained until 1865. His loss during the war, including house, mill, etc., amounted to more than $5,000. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics he is to be recorded as a Greenbacker. Ten children have been born to them: Henry and Mary were born in Pennsylvania; Mary is the wife of William Padley, Martha (wife of Harvey Hart, lives in Greenwood County, Kansas); Catherine Ann died in infancy; Allen married Ellen Pixley, and lives in Linn County, Kansas, (his wife has since died); Sarah, (wife of George Requa); Emma, (wife of Charles Morilla, of Pleasant Gap); Alice (wife of Walter H. Benedict, and living in Vernon County). The youngest were Lucy and Flora, both of whom died about 1863. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
THOMPSON, Anthony C.
Prairie Township - Anthony C. Thompson, physician and surgeon, was born in Cambridge, Dorchester County, Maryland, March 15, 1825, his parents being Anthony C. and Martha B. (Kersey) Thompson. The former came originally from the same place as his son. Anthony passed his youth at the place of his birth, clerking and studying medicine, his father being his preceptor. He graduated from the Maryland University, of Baltimore, and subsequently, in 1869, removed to Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri, where he remained but four months. Then he came to Bates County, locating at Papinville, and here continued his practice until 1871, when he went to Vernon, Missouri. He resumed the practice of his chosen calling successfully for about seven years, at that time going to Mississippi. During the year 1881, he returned to Papinville, and has since continued to make his home here. Dr. Thompson has been three times married: First, in 1850, to Miss Mary E. Leverton, of Carolina County, Maryland, who died at Milton, Wayne County, Indiana, in 1859. In 1863, he was united in marriage with Lenora Riffle, of Lebanon County, Kentucky. She departed this life at Sedalia in 1869. In 1870, the doctor's third marriage occurred to Miss Theresa A. McFarland, of Kansas City. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
THOMPSON, David W.
Mt. Pleasant Township - David W. Thompson, farmer, stock feeder and dealer, is the owner of 900 acres of land, and lives on his home farm of 220 acres in section 14. Six hundred and eighy acres are in the corner of the township. Mr. T. was born in Taylor County, Ohio, August 15, 1838. His father, Jason Thompson, was born in Ross County, Ohio, and his mother, formerly Nancy A. Watson, came originally from Adams County, Ohio. They had seven sons, of whom the subject of this sketch is the third. He completed his education at the Bellfontaine High School, and in 1855 he visited Iowa, remaining there one year, when he returned to Ohio and attended school for two years. He then taught for two years. In March, 1860, he went to Colorado and engaged in mining for two years, after which he was occupied in freighting from the Missouri River to all points west in the new territories. He commenced with one team of two yoke of cattle, and after five years of hard work he closed up the business with twenty teams of five yoke of cattle each. In December, 1868, he came back, leaving his teams and 350 cows and heifers on a good ranch on Huearnafa Creek (Wafana). In June, 1872, he sold this stock to P.T. Barnum for $10,500 and drove 500 head back to Missouri, where he fed and disposed of them. In 1869 he purchased a farm three miles southeast of Butler and worked it until 1874, when he moved on to his present place, where he had built a good residence, barns and made other substantial improvements. Mr. Thompson's success from his boyhood has been most remarkable. But it all has been achieved by the greatest effort, hard work and good financiering. He is a man of great determination and puts forth much energy in whatever he desires to accomplish. In his political principles he is among the leaders of the Greenback party. He is an active member of the executive committee of the State Grange and also belongs to the Presbyterian Church. He was married in Henry County, Iowa, to Miss Annie K. McKee, December 22, 1868. She was the daughter of James Johnson McKee, of Ohio, and Isabel (Fulton) McKee, from Cumberland County, Pennsylvania. They have three children living: Anna Belle, twelve years old; James Elbert, ten years of age, and Ora Ella, aged five years. Nancy May died in 1877 when two years old. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TILSON, Thomas H.
New Home Township - Thomas H. Tilson was born December 20, 1851, on section 23, of New Home Township, Bates County, Missouri. His parents were William Steward and Judith (Turner) Tilson, the latter being the eldest daughter of George Turner, who settled in Bates County about 1840. He died in 1857, as did his wife, Mary E., they both being buried upon the same day. William S. Tilson was born in 1815 and his wife, Judith, in 1826. He died January 28, 1858, and Mrs. T. May 5, 1881. Thomas H. was the fourth of seven children, the eldest, George W., living with Thomas; Mary E., John F. died at fifteen; William S. died at six months; James E. and Francis Marion both dying when fifteen years of age. Mary E. married Vernon Ozment. He died January 19, 1874, and she March 16, 1875, leaving two children: Judith Ann, aged eleven, and Mary Frances, aged nine years, both of whom are living with Thomas. His father entered 680 acres of land, nearly all of which he now owns. Mr. Tilson was married, July 2, 1872, to Miss Mahala Vaugn. He was again married, December 8, 1881, to Miss Mary Ann Floyd, daughter of John Floyd. Mr. Tilson is a member of the Christian Church and one of the principal men of his vicinity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TINSLEY, James H.
East Boone Township - James H. Tinsley, dealer in general merchandise, Burdett, was born October 23, 1832, in Hopkins County, Kentucky, and is the second of eight children. His parents were Boswell and Mary (Henry) Tinsley, his father being a native of South Carolina and his mother of Kentucky. They are now living in Livingston County, Missouri, as are also two sisters. In 1840 the family removed to Grundy County, Missouri, locating near Trenton, where James lived until 1869, then coming to Henry County. This was his home until 1881, and in July of that year he came to Burdett and engaged in merchandising. He carries a general stock of drugs, groceries, etc. August 26, 1862, Mr. Tinsley enlisted at Macon City in "Merrill's Horse" and served two years, being discharged at St. Louis December 9, 1864. At the battle near Little Rock, August 10, 1863, he was wounded three times, once in the head, then through the shoulder and through the hip, and was detained for some time at the hospital at Little Rock. He was married in Grundy County, January 5, 1854, to Miss Emily M. Embrey, of Washington County, Kentucky. They have five children: Matilda Jane, wife of Robert Smith and living at Crab Orchard, Kentucky; Cecil Ann, wife of Harry Marks, of Vernon County; Henry married Miss Mary Clarey and is living in Henry County, Nancy Belle and James. Mr. Tinsley is a Republican in politics and is the postmaster at Burdett. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TOLER, James A.
Howard Township - James A. Toler, commercial traveler and proprietor of saloon and billiard hall at Hume, was born in Cooper County, Missouri, August 3, 1850. His parents were E. and Nancy Toler, natives of Tennessee, who, after being married, located in Cooper County in 1820, and there the subject of this sketch passed his youth and received his education. In May, 1880, he came to Bates County, and the following October opened a general stock of goods in Hume. Afterwards he established his present business. He also represents the extensive notion house of Frank F. Horner, of Kansas City. Mr. Toler was married, December 24, 1871, to Miss Melvina Eason, a native of the same county as himself, born January 27, 1851, and a daughter of Joseph and Sarah Eason. Mr. and Mrs. T. have two children, Cordelia and Jesse. He is connected with the I.O.O.F. fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TRIMBLE, Francis M.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Francis M. Trimble, a native of Montgomery County, Kentucky, was born February 4, 1843. His fahter, James H. Trimble, was also a Kentuckian by birth, and was there brought up. He married Miss Harriet Brush, and by this union they had ten chldren, of whom Francis was the oldest. The latter was raised and educated at his birthplace, and passed his early life in following the occupation of farming. In 1870 he removed to Bates County and here tilled the soil until February, 1880, when he became a member of the firm of F.M. Crumly & Co., dealers in drugs. Thus he continued to be occupied until he entered upon the duties of county treasurer, to which office he had been elected in 1880. He has made a most excellent official and has discharged his trust with scrupulous care and fidelity and satisfactorily to his constituents. Mr. Trimble has been three times married: first, September 4, 1864, to Miss Sarah Redmon, who died, leaving two children, Jessie and Mollie. On November 17, 1874, he married Miss Minerva Redmon, who also died. Mr. Trimble's third marriage occurred December 18, 1877, to Mrs. Fannie Edwards (Redmon). They are members of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TROWBRIDGE, James F.
Osage Township - James F. Trowbridge, of the firm of Carpenter & Trowbridge, livery men, was born in Jefferson County, New York, June 22, 1840. He passed his boyhood days in his native county and was there educated, following farming as his chosen calling. When at the age of nineteen years he removed to Livingston County, Illinois, and resided there for ten years, there embarking in the livery business. For eight years, beginning with 1874, he was deputy sheriff of that county and acted also as constable. In August, 1882, Mr. Trowbridge came to Rich Hill and started in his present business. He was married, August 2, 1862, to Miss Ellen J. Hayes, a native of Ohio. They have six children: Henry B., Herbert, Bertin A., Casper, Cora D. and Fred. Mr. T. is a member of the Masonic order. In 1862 he enlisted in Company M, First Illinois Light Artillery, and served till the close of the war. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TROWBRIDGE, Martin H.
East Boone Township - Martin H. Trowbridge was born July 12, 1841, at Delta, Fulton County, Ohio, the son of John S. and Hannah (Hampton) Trowbridge, the former a native of New York, and the latter originally from Ohio. Martin is the eldest of eight children, four boys and four girls. He never enjoyed superior school advantages, having received his education in the common schools. When nine years of age he entered a store and continued therein until the outbreak of the war, when he offered his services by enlisting on August 25, 1861, in Company I, Thirty-eighth Ohio. He served under General Thomas, principally in Tennessee and Kentucky, at Chattanooga and Stone River, and with Sherman on his march toward the close of the war. In the fight at Jonesborough, September 1, 1864, he was wounded by receiving a revolver ball in his right fore arm. He has just removed the ball, some six inches from the place of entrance, after eighteen years time, it having been cut out September 11, 1882. In 1866 Mr. Trowbridge came west to Omaha, where he remained one summer. He married, October 8, 1866, Miss Marcia E. Nichol, at Ottawa, Illinois. She is a native of Ohio, and a sister of L.R. Nichol, of Boone Township. They lived in Nebraska until 1867, when they came to Bates County, Missouri, locating near Burdett, and in 1869 he secured his present farm, consisting of 170 acres on section 14. He and his wife have five children living: Marcus Elmer, Florence R., William O., Edith Alzira, and Herbert T. James A. died September 21, 1881. In politics Mr. Trowbridge is Republican, and was the late candidate of his party for representativ to the legislature. He favors prohibition. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - M.M. Tucker, farmer, stock raiser and merchant, Altona, was born in Warren County, Kentucky, December 6, 1834, and was the youngest of four sons, of William F. Tucker, a farmer and tanner, and a native of Virginia; his wife's maiden name was Nancy P. Wentlow, of Kentucky. The former died when M.M. was six months old, and his mother soon after married Johnson Shobe, and in 1840 removed to Missouri, where the subject of this sketch grew to manhood, receiving a good education in the common schools and at the State University, at Columbia. In 1853, when eighteen years old, he went to California, traveling overland with ox teams. He remained there engaged in mining, until 1857. In 1858 - March 18 - he was married to Miss Mary S. Quisenberry, a native of Missouri, born July 16, 1837. He then settled in Pettis County, and farmed there one year, when he removed to Bates County, where he has since resided. His farm contains 200 acres, well improved, with a fine barn, a large orchard of 450 apple trees, 100 peach and a number of plum, pear and other fruits; his house, costing $1,500, was built in 1868. He also owns another tract of 800 acres of land. Mr. T. is a senior member of the firm of Tucker & France, general merchants, who own their own store building. They carry a stock of $11,000, and are doing an excellent business. He has five children living: Nannie F., (wife of J.W. France); William M.; Minnie; Clay; and Leland. They have lost five children: James J., Nora, Lenora, Leonard and an infant. Mr. Tucker, his wife, and the three eldest children are connected with the Christian Church. He is a member of Altona lodge No. 315, A.F. and A.M., and is the present secretary of the lodge. He also belongs to the I.O.O.F. Mr. Tucker is interested in educational matters and often holds the position of school director. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TUCKER, William Edwin
Mt. Pleasant Township - William Edwin Tucker is the grandson of Jesse Tucker, who was born in Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky, in 1791. He married Mary Atherton, December 17, 1813, and subsequently moved to Charleston, Indiana, where William Atherton Tucker, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born November 8, 1814. The family of Jesse Tucker soon returned to Kentucky. William A. at the early age of twelve years commenced learning the wool carding business in Shelby County, and after working until twenty years of age, he took charge of woolen mills in Jefferson County, which he afterwards purchased. He was married in 1837, to Miss Mary Ann Leatherman, a native of Kentucky, who had not attained her seventeenth year. She was noted as a remarkably handsome woman, whose graces of mind and person drew around her as suitors the opulent and talented. She died when W.E. was nearly three years of age, leaving three daughters and one son, the latter of whom was born March 6, 1846, in Jeffersontown, Kentucky. A faithful negress, called Aunt Easter, became the housekeeper and cared for the family as tenderly as any but a mother could, and she still calls them her children, and although eighty-one years old and infirm, she makes annual visits to them for aid, to which they cheerfully respond. In 1855, his father married a Miss Rudy. By this marriage there were two daughters, who are now living in Jefferson County. When William E. Tucker was ten years old he commenced helping his father card wool, and scarcely missed a day until the senior Tucker died. In 1849, the latter built a large mansion, in which the family lived for a time, but owing to its size and desirable location it was sold to the Christian Church in 1860, for an educational institution, now known as Jefferson College. The present college building covers the spot where William was born. It was under the tuition of O.A. Bartholomew, then president, that he received a fair English education. His father removed to the country east of town, on the Taylorsville Pike, and in connection with wool carding engaged in farming until his death, which occurred September 7, 1864. William E. had at this time become proficient in the wool business, and at the sale of the property purchased the machinery for $400. He spent the winter of 1864 in Louisville, working in a cracker factory, and the following season carried on the woolen business. In the fall his uncle, Dr. Leatherman, induced him to study dentistry. He sold the carding machine and agreed with the purchaser to manage the business the coming season. Although it had become distasteful to him he fulfilled his engagement, and then commenced his dental studies in the fall of 1865. He obtained means to purchase his machine and prosecute his studies from an aunt. This he repaid subsequently. In the spring of 1866, he went to Cincinnati, bought an instrument and practiced there a short time. In September, 1866, he came to Missouri, and spent the fall with his sisters in Pettis County. In January, 1867, he opened an office in Otterville, Cooper County, where he did a successful business. On November 22, 1871, he came to Butler, since which time he has been actively engaged in the practice of dentistry. He is a close student and takes great pride in his profession, availing himself of every opportunity for improvement, and using the latest and best instruments. He was one of the first in the state to try the electro-magnetic mallet, and one of the few who now use it successfully. He has long been classed among the leading dentists of the state, and the interest he has taken in the Missouri State Dental Association, and the benefit derived from the clinics, conducted by the best operators, have been of great benefit to him, as he never forgets the most minute detail of any operation of which he was a witness. In his religious preference he belongs to the Christian Society, and united with this church at the age of sixteen, under the ministry of Benjamin Franklin, of Cincinnati. He was instrumental in organizing a Christian Society in Otterville, and after he came to Butler he assisted in the organization of the church here, June 22, 1873, and he has since been an active worker and among its liberal contributors. He has from the organization, in 1873, been its treasurer, and has acted as superintendent of the Sabbath School since its organization, July 26, 1871, until the present time. In May, 1881, he was elected elder against his wishes, but still holds this position. The following sketch of Dr. Tucker's early Masonic history is furnished by Thomas J. Starke, Esq: "At a regular communication of Pleasant Grove Lodge, No. 142, A.F. and A.M., held at the Masonic Hall in the town of Otterville, on Saturday, the 26th day of December, A.D., 1868, A.L. 5868, the petition of Dr. W.E. Tucker for initiation into the mysteries of Masonry was read in open lodge, and referred to a committee consisting of the following named brethren, to wit: Harrison Homan, T.C. Cranmer, and A.M. Gibbs. On the 23d of January, 1869, the above named committee having reported favorably, the ballot was spread upon his said petition, and he was duly elected to the first degree. The lodge was then opened in form, and Dr. Tucker was introduced and duly initiated into the mysteries of the order appertaining to the degree of Entered Apprenticeship, the following officers being at their resepective stations: Thomas J. Starke, W.M.; Thomas V. Ellis, S.W.; A.M. Gibbs, J.W. pro tempore; A.L. Zollinger, Treasurer; H.W. Ferguson, Secretary; T.C. Cranmer, S.D.; D.J. Shy, J.D.; and J.W. Howell, Tyler. Brother Tucker having been examined in open lodge as to his proficiency in the first degree, was on the 19th day of February, 1869, elected to the second degree, introduced and duly passed to the degree of Fellow Craft. On the 27th of March, 1869, he was duly raised to the sublime degree of Master Mason. At the regular communication held June 19, 1869, for the election of officers, Brother Tucker was duly elected as Junior Warden of Pleasant Grove Lodge, No. 142, and faithfully and zealously discharged the duties of the office during that year. He was sent by the lodge in November to represent them in the Grand Lodge, and at the election held June 11, 1870, he was elected Senior Warden; and again on the 3d of June, 1871, he was re-elected to the same position. As an officer he was bright, intelligent and efficient, always at his post and universally held in high esteem by all with whom he was associated, whether as a Mason or otherwise." February 1, 1873, the Dr. affiliated with Butler Lodge, No. 254, one of the most important in Missouri. At its annual election December 20, 1873, he was elected Master of the lodge for the following year, at the expiration of which time he was re-elected and served another year. On June 24, 1874, all the lodges in Bates and Cass Counties united in a grand reunion, and he was selected as the one to deliver an address, which he did. This address was a masterly production, ably prepared and most excellently delivered, and showed deep research as well as Masonic knowledge. Dr. Tucker, on this occasion, was the recipient of flattering notices, from both people and press. October 26, 1874, he was appointed by the grand master of the state D.D.G.M. of the forty-fifth district, to which position he was re-appointed the three following years. In January, 1876, he was appointed by Grand Lecturer Allen McDowell, as D.D. Grand Lecturer, in which capacity he served two years, at that time resigning both offices, as his professional duties required all his attention. During the years 1878 and 1879 he served the lodge as secretary, and was again elected Master for 1880. At a meeting of Butler Lodge No. 254, January 15, 1881, he was presented with a handsome Past Master's jewel. He is a member of Miami R.A.C. No. 76, having been exalted to the sublime degree of a R.A. Mason, April 10, 1873, and for several years thereafter he was an active member, and served as Captain of the Host and secretary most of the time, until, as before stated, he was prevented from taking active part in either the lodge or chapter on account of other duties. Dr. Tucker was married February 4, 1879, to Emily Rowena Williard, who was born in Aztelan, Jefferson County, Wisconsin. Her parents were natives of New York. Her maternal grandfather, J.F. Ostrander emigrated west at an early day and was a pioneer preacher in Wisconsin, and preached the first sermon in Madison, the capital of that state. He died in 1875 in Martinsville, Minnesota, where his widow still lives at the age of eighty years. Hartzell Williard, her father, went to Wisconsin when quite young, and there married Ellen Cornelia Ostrander, October 2, 1855. Their family consisted of two sons and three daughters, Mrs. Tucker being the eldest child. In 1872 the family moved to Bates County, where they have since lived. At the age of sixteen, Mrs. T. began teaching school, and after teaching three terms she entered Butler Academy, when it was first opened, and attended it until she was offered a position in the Butler public schools, where she taught until the spring of 1878. At the time of her marriage she was a member of the Presbyterian Church, but has since united with the Christian Church. Their family circle consists of Williard Edwin, born November 29, 1879, Chester Lee, March 18, 1881, and Nellie Florence, August 16, 1882. Politically, he is a Democrat, and takes an active interest in the prohibition movement of the present time. Dr. Tucker is most devoted to his wife and children, and all of his time, outside of business hours is spent in company with them. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
TYGARD, William F.
Osage Township - William F. Tygard, vice president of the Rich Hill Bank, was born in Monongalia County, West Virginia, January 14, 1849, and when he was sixteen years of age his parents, with the family, moved to Licking County, Ohio. His education was obtained in the common schools of his native and adopted states, and he resided in Ohio till 1872, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, first locating on a farm. He was engaged in dealing in stock till July, 1881, when he began in the banking business at Rich Hill, and this he has since continued. Mr. T. was married August 12, 1872, to Miss Minnie Gill, a native of Ohio, by whom he has one child, William F. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)