Bates County Biographies
Mt. Pleasant Township - N.A. Wade, editor of the Bates County Democrat, is a native of Harrison County, Ohio, and was born April 27, 1843. His father, Robert Wade, was born in New Jersey, and by occupation was a mason. His mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Matson, was born in Virginia. N.A. was reared in his native state and educated at Franklin College. During the late war he enlisted in Company E, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served two years. He participated in the Atlanta campaign, and was at Nashville and in the battle of Franklin. After serving until the close of the war he was engaged for a time in teaching, and during his leisure hours he read law and prepared himself for admission to the bar, which occurred in 1868. He came to Butler in 1868, and followed his chosen occupation until 1871, when he was appointed deputy county clerk and recorder. In July, 1871, in connection with J. Scudder, Esq., he purchased the Bates County Democrat, which he has since conducted with signal success. Politically, as the name of his paper indicates, he is an unswerving Democrat, and ever ready at all times to defend the faith of the party, and he is a zealous worker for its interests. In 1876 he was a delegate to the national convention which nominated Tilden for president. Mr. Wade was married, in 1871, to Mrs. M.J. Weed, a native of Bloomington, Illinois. They have one son, Benjamin R.W. They have lost one daughter, Hallie. Mrs. Wade is an aunt of the noted American covalist, Litta. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Senior Editor of Bates County Weekly and Butler Daily Democrat, was born in Harrisville, Harrison County, Ohio, April 27, 1843. His father, Robert Wade, was a native of New Jersey, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Matson, was born in Virginia. He was reared in Ohio, and was educated in its public schools and at Franklin College. He was a member of Co. E, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War and served two years. He participated in the battles of the Atlanta campaign and at Nashville and Franklin. He taught school before and after the war, and was principal of the St. Clairsville (Ohio) High School just previous to coming to Missouri. Read law when he could spare the time from school duties and was admitted to the bar in Ohio in 1868. Came to Butler, Mo., October 23, 1868, and practiced law until January 1st, 1871, when he was appointed Deputy Circuit Clerk and Recorder. In July, 1871, he and J. Scudder, the latter of whom subsequently became President of the Adrian Bank, after he had sold his interest to the former, January 1, 1882, and since deceased, purchased the Bates County Democrat and the former has been editor of same and is now. He started the Daily which he is conducting, in June, 1889. He was a delegate to the National Democrat Convention of 1876 at St. Louis which nominated Samuel J. Tilden. Was Postmaster in Butler during President Cleveland's first administration. Is holding the position of Inspector of Oils for Bates county during absence of Lieut. Wade in the Phillipines. Was united in marriage to Mrs. M.J. Weed, whose maiden name had been Mary J. Dimmett, daughter of Wm. Dimmett of Bloomington, Ills., a native of Maryland, in December, 1871. They have one son, Lieut. Ben R. Wade, formerly assistant editor of the Democrat, now 2d lieutenant in the 32d U.S. Volunteer Infantry, serving in the Phillipines. They had one daughter, who died quite young. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
WAINSCOTT, Mrs. Alice
Shawnee Township - Mrs. Alice Wainscott, widow of Barnett S. Wainscott, is a native of Washington County, East Tennessee, where she was born December 3, 1835. Her parents, Joseph and Anna (Johnson) Payne, removed to Polk County, Missouri, about 1845, where she met and married Mr. Wainscott January 20, 1852. Mr. Wainscott was a native of Missouri, having been born in Pike County December 23, 1831. He was the son of Thornton and Rebecca (Boone) Wainscott. His mother is nearly related to the great pioneer, Daniel Boone, and is still living with a daughter in Deepwater Township. Mr. Wainscott came to Bates County in 1867 and settled where the family now reside, in Shawnee Township. He died here March 19, 1880, leaving a family of six children to comfort and cheer the declining years of his lifetime companion. They were the parents of nine children, three of whom are also deceased. The eldest, Rebecca Elizabeth, married David Carver, and is left a widow with three small children, her husband dying quite recently, October 13, 1882. Melinda Ann is the wife of John Ray. The next, Isaac Houston, died February 7, 1876. Sarah Alice is the eldest at home. William Ewing died in infancy. John Young died September 30, 1865, and the three youngest are at home: Barnett Lee, James Herriford and Nancy M. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - Irvin Walley was born in Franklin County, Ohio, December 7, 1833. His father, George Walley, and also his mother, formerly Elizabeth Thomas, were both natives of the same state. In 1834 the family removed to Grundy County, Illinois. Here the boyhood days of Irvin were spent in agricultural pursuits. In 1855 he came to Bates County, Missouri, and was engaged in farming until the outbreak of the civil war. He enlisted in the Cass County Home Guards, known as Major Dean's Battalion, in February, serving nine months. He afterwards attempted to enter the service but was prevented on account of disability. He then served in the enrolled militia and was appointed captain. After the close of the war he returned to Bates County and settled in Butler and opened the first public house in Butler after the war. He laid out an addition to the town, known as Walley's additions to Butler. Politically he is a staunch Republican and a fearless advocate of its principles. Mr. W. was married August 31, 1863, to Miss Mary E. Long a native of Virginia. Their family consists of five children: Burdsey W., Bettie A., Flora E., Gertie E. and Ella P. The father of Mrs. Walley, W.C. Long, and her motehr, whose maiden name was Mary A. Gibson, came originally from Virginia. The latter is connected on the maternal side with the celebrated Rutledge family of that state. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WALLS, James T., M.D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - James T. Walls, M.D., was born in Nichols County, Kentucky, December 15, 1851. He was reared to manhood there, and received his literary education, attending for a time the State Normal School at Carlisle. In July 1874, he began the study of medicine under Dr. M.M. Dills, with whom he continued until 1877. During the terms of 1875-6-7, he was a student of the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, from which institution he subsequently graduated. In March, 1877, he came to Burdette, Missouri, and established himself in practice there, making his home in the place until October 25, 1881, at which time he removed to Butler. July 17, 1882, Dr. Glessner became associated with him in practice, and they have since enjoyed a lucrative patronage. July 17, 1879, Dr. Walls was married to Miss Susan Canterberry, a native of Missouri. They have one child, Cecil V. The Doctor is a member of the Masonic and I.O.O.F. fraternities and also belongs to the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WALLS, William M.
Mound Township - William M. Walls is a native of Nicholas county, Kentucky, where he was born September 11, 1823, being the third of thirteen children, eight of whom are now living. Five of these are in Missouri. His father, Zachariah Walls, was originally from Virginia, and his mother (formerly Tempe Osborn), was a native of Clark County, Kentucky. William's younger days were spent in a distillery, of which his father was the proprietor, and his advantages for acquiring an education were quite limited. When about twenty-eight years of age, March 3, 1851, he married Miss Eliza Alexander, and continued farming and running his distillery until coming to Missouri in 1877. After spending some months in Butler he came to his present farm in Mound Township, and is now interested in tilling the soil. Mr. and Mrs. Walls have nine children: James Thompson, Sarah Pickett, Isaac Walter, Emma Belle, Harriet, William, Cordia Mary, George Henry, and Benjamin F. James married Miss Susie Canterbury, and is a practicing physician in Butler; Sarah is the wife of Richard Willey and lives in the Neosho Valley, Kansas; Emma is the wife of Henry Belt, of Elkhart, and Harriet is the wife of John Cowdrey, also of Elkhart. Mr. Walls is a member of Butler Lodge, A.F. & A.M., and has been connected about thirteen years with that order. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Summit Township - G.W. Walton, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Cooper County, Missouri, January 28, 1841, and is the third of a family of eight children, of whom five are living in Bates County. His parents were among the early pioneers of Cooper County, having settled there in 1826. His father, John Walton, was born in Virginia, and married Miss Jane Ruley, of Kentucky birth. G.W. grew to manhood on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools. In 1864 he went to Montana, and for two years was engaged in freighting to that country, where several towns were just springing into existance. In 1866 he returned to Cooper County and resolved to embark in farming. Accordingly, he began to look for a suitable location, and noting the natural advantages offered by this section of country, he came to Bates County, and has since been following the calling of a farmer and stock man. He succeeded in securing in the capacity of a wife the services of one of the most intelligent, accomplished and refined young ladies of the country, in the person of Miss Regina Etzler, a native of Bond County, Illinois, where she was born November 10, 1855. They were married in this county January 23, 1873. Mr.W. lives in section 5, where he has a farm of 400 acres, in fine cultivation and well suited to stock raising of all kinds. He handles annually about one hundred head of cattle and a proportionate number of swine, and from fifteen to twenty head of horses and mules. He is Democratic in politics and is a member of Butler Lodge, of the A.F. & A.M. fraternity. Himself and wife are identified with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. They have had three children, two of whom are living, Maggie, nine years old, and Emma, a bright little girl of two summers. One child, Lillie, died March 23, 1875. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WALTON, William E.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Confessedly one of the shrewdest business men in Western Missouri is the gentleman whose name appears at the head of this sketch, and his life and character fully demonstrate what may be achieved by energy, economy and pluck. William E. Walton is a native of Cooper County, Missouri, where he was born in 1842. His father was W.P. Walton, of Virginia, and his mother was formerly Louisa J. Tueley, a native of Cooper County, Missouri. Her father, Samuel J. Tueley, settled in Cooper County in 1814, two years before its organization. Kit Carson, the celebrated scout and Indian fighter, was an adopted son in the Tueley family. J.B. Tueley, a brother of Samuel, wrote a biography of Kit Carson, which is regarded as the most authentic narative of the famous hunter. Mr. Walton received such an education only as common schools of the county afforded. Being reared to agricultural pursuits, he adopted farming as a livlihood, but after a short experience he became convinced that his talent as well as his ambition led him in another direction. Therefore he abandoned the vocation of his youth and applied himself to merchandising. In 1859 he entered a store in Cooper County, where he remained as clerk for three years. He then served as deputy circuit clerk in Belleview, Illinois, for two years, and afterwards was an employee of William H. Trigg, banker and real estate dealer, in Boonville, Missouri, continuing with this firm for two years. He then went to Sedalia, Missouri, where he remained until 1870, when he came to Butler, his present home. Upon his arrival at Butler he opened an abstract and real estate office, which he still controls. In 1869, the year previous to his removal to Bates County, he invented and copyrighted the Walton system of abstract books, which has become so popular that he has realized therefrom the sum of $10,000, already, saying nothing of what may be his income from this source in the future. In 1874 he was elected county clerk of Bates County, serving four years. He also represented his ward several times in the city council. In 1880 he projected and established the banking house of Walton, Dutcher & Co. This firm reorganized the Butler National Bank, of which Mr. Walton is cashier and the largest stockholder. In 1882 he erected the opera house at Butler, which is located on the southwest corner of the public square (a full and complete description of which may be found in the history of Mount Pleasant Township in this work) where it will stand as the most enduring and the most splendid monument, testifying to his financial success, to his spirit of enterprise and to his liberality. Mr. Walton is emphatically a self-made man, and has risen through the various gradations of farmer, clerk, etc., by his own invincible will and business tact. In 1867 he married Miss Nellie Kincaid, of Kentucky, who died two years thereafter. In 1879 he married Miss Cora Allen, who is the daughter of F.M. Allen, now of Nevada, Vernon County, Misouri. Mrs. Walton is a native of Ohio. Mr. Walton is a member of the Christian Church and one of its most liberal supporters. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WALTON, William E.
William E. Walton was born in Cooper County, Mo., August 31, 1842, and has lived in Bates County, Mo., since 1870. He was county clerk of Bates County during the years of 1875, '76, '77 and '78. He is president of the Missouri State Bank and also of The Walton Trust Company of Butler, Mo., and has been in the banking business for 20 years. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
Charlotte Township - Edward Warderman, farmer, section 34, was born in Monroe County, Illinois, March 4, 1830, and was the fifth child of Henry and Eleanor (Talbott) Warderman. The former, who was a Virginian by birth, served in the war of 1812, and after being mustered out went to Illinois, where his marriage occurred in 1832. His wife was a native of Kentucky, and early accompanied her parents to Illinois. They had a family of eight children. Edward began life for himself as a farmer. August 12, 1855, he was married to Miss Lucinda A. Pierce, of Madison County, Illinois, born January 21, 1837. Her parents were William R. and B. (Vincent) Pierce, natives of Shakertown, Kentucky, who now reside in Madison County, Illinois. In September, 1868, Mr. Warderman removed from Madison County, Illinois, to Missouri, locating in Bates County. For many years he was the acknowledged leader of cattle feeders and shippers in Southwestern Missouri and Eastern Kansas, but of late years he has given his entire attention to agricultural pursuits. His farm embraces 500 acres of excellent land. Mr. and Mrs. W. have a family of six children living: Martha E., born August 6, 1856; B.A., born September 9, 1858; William H., born January 26, 1860; Mary J., born November 12, 1863; Lula M., born November 27, 1869, and Joseph H., born June 11, 1874. Three are deceased: Sarah R., C. and B.L. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - Michell Warford, farmer and stock feeder, a native of Kentucky, was born in Estill County, April 10, 1827, and was the son of Jewell and Nancy Warford, nee Servner, of the same county. Mitchell grew to manhood in his native county, and spent his youth on the farm, obtaining a fair education in the common English branches. He was married in Estill County, April 12, 1849, to Miss Elizabeth Hamilton, of that county, and a daughter of Henry Hamilton. After about three years Mr. W. moved to Illinois and settled in Hancock County, but in two years and one-half went to Iowa, in the spring of 1855, and located in Davis County, where he resided five years; thence to Appanoose County, which was his home for two years. In the spring of 1864 he visited Colorado and located near Canon City, in Fremont County, where he stopped three years. In the spring of 1867, he came to Johnson County, Missouri, bought land and improved a farm, and was engaged in farming about five years. Selling his property there, in the fall of 1872 he moved to Bates County, purchased and improved his present farm in section 6. He has 240 acres, all fenced and fairly improved, with a comfortable house and a bearing orchard of 100 apple trees, with some peach, cherry and small fruits. Mr. and Mrs. Warford have raised a family of four children: William H., Mary E. (now Mrs. George Price); James E. and John A. He and his family are all members of the Missionary Baptist Church. They have lost one son, who departed this life November 3, 1879, aged nineteen years. He was also a faithful member of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WASSON, Mrs. Mary
Prairie Township - Mrs. Mary Wasson was born on the 19th of March, 1843. Her father, Peter Collin, who was born in Lyons, France, in 1800, removed to St. Louis, Missouri, when quite young, and remained there for two years, then coming to Bates County in the interest of the American Fur Trading Company, a trading post having been established at the point known as Collin's Ford, at an early day. He continued in the employ of this company for three years, when he entered into business for himself, and by trading with the Indians he acquired a large competency for that time. Before his death, which occurred November 25, 1875, he had become the owner of a large tract of land. He was married in St. Louis to Miss Mary Cotney, who was born in the province of Canada. They had a family of eight children - two sons and six daughters - of whom the subject of this sketch was the fourth. Mary became the wife of Richard A. Wasson, October 17, 1876. He was born in St. Louis County, Missouri, and only lived about three years after his marriage, dying October 2, 1879. Mrs. W. has a large farm of 336 acres, located in section 23, upon which quite an amount of stock is raised annually. This place is well improved and under her able and judicious management has become a valuable farm. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WEATHERS, John T.
Osage Township - John T. Weathers, of the M.S. Cowles Mercantile Company, was born in Morgan County, Illinois, January 25, 1854. His parents were Gilbert S. and Catherine P. (Taylor) Weathers. When he was twelve years of age the family moved to Holt County, Missouri, and in two years went to Brown County, Kansas. His father subsequently moved to Crawford County and then to Jasper County, Missouri, where he now resides. After receiving a fair common school education, John T. entered a hardware store in Hiawatha, Kansas, when about eighteen years old and stayed one year, then secured a situation with L.N. Smith, dealer in agricultural implements, at St. Joseph, Missouri, with whom he remained one year. In the fall of 1875 he attended the Jacksonville Business College at Jacksonville, Illinois. Returning to St. Joseph he spent the summer of 1876 with Mr. Smith. In the spring of 1877 he went to Jasper County and for ten months represented the interests of L.S. Moore, of Kansas City, in the Quaker Mills on Spring River. The summer of 1878 he stopped with his father on the farm, and on May 1, he was married to Miss Clara C. Spangler. In October of that year he entered a store at Carbon, Crawford County, Kansas, and for nearly two years kept the books of a complicated business and made a number of settlements. In May, 1880, he entered the railroad office but in July came to Rich Hill and engaged as salesman for M.S. Cowles & Company. In October, 1881, he was put in charge of the branch house at Pittsburg. When the M.S. Cowles Mercantile Company was organied he became a member and has since retained the charge of the branch house. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Spruce Township - Hiram Webb was born in Polk County, Missouri, April 10, 1852. William Webb, his father, was a native of Kentucky, while his mother came originally from Tennessee. Hiram moved with his parents from Polk to Saline County, in 1863, and after living there some four years, came to Bates County in 1867, and located on the farm now occupied by the family. He spent his youth on the farm and at the public schools where he received a common English education. He was married in Henry County, April 8, 1877, to Miss Emma Beck, a daughter of George Beck; she is a Kentuckian by birth. Mr. Webb settled on his present farm in 1877 and now owns ninety acres, with eighty acres in good cultivation. His family consists of two children: Ada, born April 18, 1878, and Early Lee, born June 23, 1882. They have lost one child, Alonzo, born July 9, 1880, and died August 6, 1881. William Webb died at his residence in Bates County, July 8, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WEDDLE, Samuel H.
New Home Township - Samuel H. Weddle was born at Blue Springs, Jackson County, Missouri, March 31, 1831. His parents were John and Jane Weddle nee Busley, the former a native of New York and the latter of Kentucky. They were married in Lafayette County, Missouri, about 1822. His father was born in New York City and learned the silverplate trade. In 1813 he enlisted for five years and at the close of the war re-enlisted for five years more and his regiment was sent to the frontier and stationed at Council Bluffs where his term of service expired. He then went down the Missouri River to the first settlements which were in Lafayette County. He stopped there and after being married located at Blue Springs. While living here he often visited the old Harmony Mission and assisted in setting out the old orchard of the mission which was a landmark long after the buildings had fallen to decay. He also served as cook at the mission, cooking for the Indian children. His experience in cooking during his ten years' service in the army gave him an opportunity to become thoroughly acquainted with the mission work. His wife died in the fall of 1851 and he followed her in 1866. He had been living for some years in Vernon County. In 1834 the family settled in Cass County, four miles east of Harrisonville, and in the spring of 1843 came to Bates County and located on the Miami, three and a half miles southwest of Butler. In 1850, in company with his eldest brother, William, Samuel H. went to California, where he remained until 1857, engaging in mining and ranching. On his return in 1857 he found the family living in Linn County, Kansas, but returned to Bates in the next year. In 1861 he enlisted in Cummins' Battalion State Guards and served five months on the border. Then he went to Texas in hopes of finding a country where he would be at liberty to remain out of the army but finding things worse there than it had been at home he came back to Bates and in May, 1862, enlisted at the Cowskin Prairie, in the Sixteenth Missouri Infantry, under Colonel L.M. Lewis, and from that time participated in the various engagements of the regiment. He was at Prairie Grove and all through Arkansas and Northern Louisiana, taking part at Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, and at Saline River against Steele in Arkansas. He passed through without receiving a wound and surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana. He remained one year in Texas, and returned to Missouri and resumed farming where he now lives. Mr. Weddle was married February 17, 1869, to Miss Nancy J. Evans, daughter of Ezekiel Evans, who died at Batesville, Arkansas, in 1864, from a wound received at Grand Prairie. He was one of the pioneers of Bates County and a brother of John Evans, of Shawnee Township. Mr. Weddle has three children: Albert Sidney Johnson, Cornelia Florence and Sonora Gertrude. Mr. W. was the fourth child of twelve children, of whom William, the eldest, died at Alton while held a prisoner. He was taken from Butler among many other civilians. Jonathan died in Texas and Abel died at home during the war from exposure. Of those who survive, Charity Turman lives at Siloam Springs, Arkansas; Susan lives with Samuel; Talitha Grummons is a widow and lives at Nevada, Missouri; John R., at Balltown, Vernon County; James H. resides near Butler, and David is at Trinidad, Colorado. Mr. Weddle is a Mason and a Democrat. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WEDDLE, Second Lieutenant / Samuel H.
Second Lieutenant Samuel H. Weddle was born at Blue Springs, in Jackson county, Mo., March 31st, 1831. When twelve months old his parents moved to Cass county and located four miles east of Harrisonville on Camp Branch. It was here that Lt. Weddle grew to the years of recollection, attending school in a log cabin. In 1842 his father sold the claim they were living on, and in the spring of 1843 removed to Bates county. In 1850, at the age of nineteen, gold was discovered in California, so Lt. Weddle spent four months on the road and arrived in California, working two years in the mines. After many ups and downs, he returned to Missouri with a little money, bought land and commenced working a farm, also investing in stock. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Cummng's Batalion, Missouri State Guards for six months, later serving with the C.S.A. as fifth sergeant and then being promoted to Second Lieutenant. After receiving parole, he went to Texas where he remained until the spring of 1866, when he returned to Missouri. The one mule he brought from Texas, along with his land in Bates county, and the five years of back taxes, was everything he owned on this earth. Working by the month until his taxes were paid, Lt. Weddle rebuilt his farm and remains on it yet to this day. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897).
Summit Township - Samuel Welch, farmer and stock raiser, is a native of Ohio, and was born in Harrison County, February 14, 1834. His parents John and Margaret (Gillmore) Welch, were born in the same county. Samuel spent his youth on his father's farm; attending the common schools, where he received an ordinary education. He was married in Morrow County, Ohio, June 12, 1855, to Miss Almira Shipman, also a native of Ohio, born in Morrow County, October 12, 1836. After his marriage, Mr. Welch was occupied in farming and stock raising in Morrow County for some thirteen years. He sold his property there in February, 1867, and in the summer of 1868, moved to Missouri, and located in Bates County, where he purchased land and improved his present farm. He has 420 acres all under fence, and in a fair state of cultivation. His large residence is finished in a neat and tasty manner, and is situated on an elevation. His yard is ornamented with forest trees, evergreens and shrubs. An orchard of twelve acres, with some select varieties of fruits, is upon the place which is in section 30. Mr. Welch is quite extensively engaged in handling Merino sheep. He and his wife have a family of four children: Harvey H., born April 6, 1856, is married and resides in Iowa; Francis E., was born December 13, 1858; Alice W., (deceased) was born January 30, 1860, and died December 19, 1871; U.S. Grant Welch was born April 3, 1865, and Delmina Welch was born March 13, 1872. Mrs. Welch is a member of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WELTON, Adelbert Oscar
Adelbert Oscar Welton, postmaster at Butler, Bates County, is a native of New York State, having been born November 17, 1858, at Windsor, Delaware County. His father, Oscar J. Welton, a native of Ohio, was a son of Norman Welton, whose father immigrated from England during the Colonial or Revolutinary period. His mother, whose maiden name was Phoebe Merrill, was a daughter of Peter Merrill, a farmer residding near Deposit, New York. He was one of the organizers of the Republican party and a man of influence in the community in which he resided. Oscar J. Welton removed from Ohio to Delaware County, New York, during his young manhood, and for a number of years he worked there at his trade as cooper. From Windsor the family removed to Deposit when the subject of this sketch was a child, and in the latter place his education was begun in the public schools. When he was ten or twelve years of age he accompanied his parents to Honeoye Falls, New York, where they resided three years, at the exception of which period they removed to Allen, Michigan. There they resided until their son was twenty-one years of age. In the public schools of that place Mr. Welton concluded his studies, but before he was ready to embark upon a business career his parents removed with their family to Butler, Bates County, Missouri, which since that time has been the home of the family. Our subject's father is still living in Butler, but his mother died in 1883. Upon coming to Butler, Oscar J. Welton engaged in agricultural pursuits, while the subject of this sketch entered the employ of T.W. Childs, and afterward that of Samuel Levy, dry goods merchant, with whom he remained for seven years. At the expiration of that time he engaged in the grocery business for himself, conducting a store until October, 1897, when he sold out his business to become postmaster for Butler, his appointment having been made that month. It was confirmed by the Senate January 12, 1898. Mr. Welton is one of the most active and influential Republicans of Butler. For three consecutive terms of two years each he served as township collector, 1889 to 1895 inclusive, but he has never consented to fill any other elective public office. In addition to his grocery business he has been for four years proprietor of a brickyard at Butler. Fraternally he is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. In religion he is a member of the Christian Church, in which he holds the office of deacon. He was married, December 12, 1885, to Emma Denney, daughter of Charles Denney. She is a native of Bates County, and a woman of many rare graces of character. They are the parents of two young children, Harry and Wilber. Charles Denney was one of the early pioneers of Bates County, having located there some time before the Civil War. He was known as a staunch Union man, but so great was his influence among the Confederates and so unbounded his popularity that he was permitted to pass unmolested through their lines on all occasions. He was then engaged in freighting from Kansas City, and few men who were so devoted to the Union cause could have transacted the immense business he did without constantly running the risk of capture. Some time after the war he engaged in the grocery business in Butler, where he still resides. During Mr. Welton's administration, the Butler post office has been brought to the highest state of efficiency. (Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901)
WERNOTT, Theodore T.
Shawnee Township - Thoedore T. Wernott was born in New York November 24, 1826, and his wife (formerly Ella S. Walker) was born near Boston, Massachusetts, April 12, 1838. Her father was Mathias Walker, a native also of the Bay State. Her mother's maiden name was Lydia A. Brickam. Ellen S. was educated in the excellent schools of Massachusetts, and on the 18th of February, 1857, was married to Mr. Wernott. The same year they removed to Dubuque, Iowa, and after remaining there but one year went south and lived in Texas until 1868. Then they settled in Bates County. Their home farm now contains 160 acres of excellent land, and is well improved. The residence was erected in 1880 at a cost of $1,500. They also have a tract of sixty acres on section 30, and upon this place is found a fine vein of coal. Their family numbers seven children: Ada, Arthur, Herbert, Mary A., Clauda, Stella, and Maud. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WEST, George W.
Mingo Township - George W. West, druggist at Mayesburg, is the youngest of a family of eight children, and was born on the 16th of April, 1859, in Worth County, Missouri. His parents were J.C. West, a farmer by occupation and a native of Kentucky, and Elizabeth (Mahan) West, also from the same state. At the age of fourteen years George was taken to Iowa, remaining there two years when the family moved to Jackson County, Missouri. From thence they came to Bates County in 1868. His education was acquired in the schools of this county and he resided on the farm until 1881 when he discontinued tilling the soil, then entering the drug store in Mayesburg in company with G.A. Poage. They own the building which they occupy and are doing a satisfactory business. Mr. West is one of the rising young business men of Bates County, and is held in high esteem by its citizens, having the confidence of all who know him. He is a respected member of the Johnstown Lodge of the Masonic fraternity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WEST, Judge Sam
Judge Sam West was born March 26, 1844, in Woodford couty, Illinois. Received a common school education. At the age of 17 he learned the trade of sign and ornamental painting, at which he continued until 1862, when he enlisted in the 108th Regiment Illinois Infantry Volunteers. Was wounded at Spanish Ft., near Mobile, Alabama, March 27, 1865, and was discharged August 17, 1865. Returned home and engaged one year in teaching school. Served two years as township assessor, and one year as collector. He was married to Miss Agnes McLaughlin April 23, 1868, and moved to Bates county, Mo., March, 1870, and located in Walnut township. Taught school for several terms, and served as collector for two years, assessor for nine years, and Justice of the Peace for two years. He moved to Butler in the spring of 1895. Was elected Presiding Judge of Bates county Court in the fall of 1898 and took charge of the office January 1, 1899, and his term will expire December 3, 1902. He is a quiet, conservative, honorable man, and has the confidence of all who know him. He has always been a Democrat. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
WEST, Robert Gentry
New Home Township - Robert Gentry West is probably the oldest native of New Home Township now living, having been born within its boundaries and within one mile of his present home on the 7th of April, 1842. His parents were Mark and Mary (Allen) West. She was a daughter of James Allen, who came from North Carolina and settled at the Harmony Mission about 1837. His father was born in Tennessee, where he married, and in 1837 moved to Missouri and for two years lived near Windsor, in Henry County. Coming to Bates County in 1839, he settled on the south bank of the Marias des Cygnes and lived there until his death, which occurred May 1, 1852. His wife had died in 1842, and he married the next year Miss Minerva McHenry, daughter of John McHenry, who died at Jefferson City while there attending the legislature, he being a representative of the county at the time. Minerva had twelve years after her husband's death, and died at the Sac and Fox Agency, Kansas, on November 21, 1864. There are five children in the first family, of which our subject is the youngest and the only one now living. The eldest, James, was killed at Springfield, January 8, 1863. Edward died of a congestive chill in 1851. Sammy died in infancy, and Elizabeth Jane, wife of Thomas Jackson, died at Butler in 1860; her husband was killed at Lone Jack. Of the second family of four children only one remains, Mary A., the wife of James P. Thomas. The eldest, Bolivar Jackson, died February 25, 1868. John W. died in infancy and Tillman Howard died in 1864, about the same time and at the same place as his mother. So far as can be ascertained Mark West was the first man who received a contract for carrying the mail in Bates County. This was about 1850, and the route was from Harrisonville to West Point and to Balltown or Papinville. What education Mr. West acquired in school was obtained by walking four miles to school, Judge Bartlett being the teacher. In 1861 he enlisted in the State Guard. In August of 1861 he attached himself to Colonel Cockrell's command, with which he participated at Lone Jack. After that he was in General Shelby's brigade, and in the fight at Springfield he was wounded and for seven years carried a navy ball. He has now entirely recovered from the effects of the wound. While in the hospital at Springfield he was taken prisoner, and after being sent to St. Louis and Chicago he was taken to City Point, Virginia, where he was exchanged. He rejoined his command on White River, Arkansas, and in 1864 was granted a furlough and went to Texas. He was not in the command at the time of the surrender. Returning to Missouri, he was soon after married, on April 26, 1866, to Miss Angeline Campbell, daugher of James L. Campbell. She is a native of Cass County. Her parents were originally from Virginia. Mr. West is a Democrat in his political preferences. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - Tho. Wheeler was born in New York, December 20, 1835, and is the son of Benjamin and Alice S. Wheeler, nee Palmer. While the subject of this sketch was young, his father removed to Boston, Massachusetts. Here the son was reared to manhood and received his education, his mercantile experience commencing in the wholesale drug trade. At the outbreak of the war he went south with General B.F. Butler. After his return he came west, and has since been engaged in the coal business at different places, and at present occupies a responsible position with the Rich Hill Coal Company. Mr. Wheeler was married November 19, 1857, to Miss M.L. Miller, a native of Massachusetts. They have one son, Benjamin F. They lost one daughter, Lizzie S. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WHINERY, Joseph T.
Homer Township - Joseph T. Whinery, breeder of and dealer in pure American merino sheep, section 36, was born in Greene County, Ohio, November 12, 1843. His parents were Joseph and Sarah J. (Thompson) Whinery, the former a native of Columbiana County, Ohio, and the latter of Indiana. She died when Joseph T. was but a year old, and he was then reared and educated in Columbiana County, being brought up by his paternal grandmother. He began life's battle alone, but by industry and good management soon achieved an enviable reputation as a business man. Coming to Missouri with a brother, he purchased a farm in Walnut Township, Bates County, in 1867, and devoted his time to farming and the cattle business. In 1880 the partnership which had so long existed was dissolved, and Mr. J.T. Whinery bought the property which he now owns and turned his attention to his present business. He keeps on hand a large number of fine sheep and has done much towards promoting this industry in Bates County. His marriage occurred April 15, 1869, to Miss Louisa Craig, of Montgomery County, Kentucky, born August 15, 1847. She was a daughter of Captain W.D. Craig, who came to Bates County from Montgomery County in 1870, settling in Homer Township, but he is now a resident of Charlotte Township. Mr. and Mrs. Whinery have a family of three children: Jennie, born March 3, 1872; Joseph and Sadie, born August 11, 1877. One is deceased: William, who was born August 14, 1879, and died July 28, 1880. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WHITE, Joel N.
West Boone Township - Joel N. White was born in Adams County, Illinois, August 5, 1843, his parents being John A. and Elizabeth (White) White, the former a native of Tennessee, and the latter of Virginia. They were among the first settlers of Adams County, Illinois. Joel N. is the second of fourteen children, six of whom are living, but he is the only one now in Missouri. He received a good common school education, and has spent his life on a farm. During the war he served three months at Springfield, Illinois. In the spring of 1872, Mr. White came to Missouri, and now lives one-half mile west of Rosier, where he has a farm of over 300 acres in a good state of cultivation. He is one of the principal stock raisers in his township, handling each year from one to three car loads of cattle and two or three hundred head of hogs. He was married September 27, 1864, to Miss Mary Colter, also a native of Adams County, Illinois. They have five children: Laura, Arvilla, Dora, Lizzie and Jane A. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WILHITE, Henry F.
Deer Creek Township - Henry F. Wilhite, farmer and stock raiser, section 29, was born in Hancock County, Illinois, February 12, 1839, being the son of Robert Wilhite, a Virginian by birth, who removed to Illinois in an early day where he married Peche Bucker. Henry was the oldest of eight children, three sons and five daughters. He was reared on the home farm, receiving his education in the common schools and after arriving at manhood he worked on a farm for three years. He then bought land and was engaged in tilling the soil in Illinois until 1869, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, where he has since followed agricultural pursuits and stock raising. His farm contains 220 acres, 170 acres under fence, with a good young orchard and house, built in 1882 at a cost of $7,000. He is a member of the Dunkard Church, and also belongs to Crescent Hill Lodge, No. 368 A.F. and A.M. Mr. Wilhite was married October 12, 1864, to Miss Ella Cruse, a native of Illinois. She died August 12, 1880, leaving three children living: Hattie May, born July 6, 1870; Charles S., born July 22, 1872; and Laura, born October 28, 1875. They lost two: James A., born September 18, 1865, and Alburtus L., born August 28, 1867. They were drowned July 16, 1876, while in bathing. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WILLIAMS, John H.
New Home Township - John H. Williams was born in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, March 28, 1838. His parents being Samuel and Catherine (Barndollar) Williams, both natives of Pennsylvania. John is the third of ten children, of whom eight are now living: One sister in Bates County, Eliza, (wife of D.F. Beegle, of Butler); one sister in Wheeling, one in Bedford County, Pennsylvania, one brother, James, is an attorney-at-law in Philadelphia; three brothers still reside in Bedford County; two of these, Jacob and Samuel, are merchants, and have extensive iron and coal interests in the mining regions. Mr. Williams had advantages of far better facilities for schooling than the majority of young men of his day. His father had been instrumental in securing an academy in the town of Rainsburg, and in this young Williams received a fair education. When the war interfered with his studies, he enlisted in the Eighth Pennsylvania Reserves, in April, 1861, and served until May, 1864, principally in Virginia. In July, 1864, he organized a company of men for the one hundred day service, and was commissioned as captain of the company. They were attached to the 194th Pennsylvania, and did provost duty about four months. In 1866, Mr. Williams came west and while in Kansas City engaged with D.K. Abeel, in running a saw mill. They located the mill on the Miami in Lone Oak Township and continued to run it until it was burned in 1868. In the following year, February 10, he married Miss Mattie B. Colcord, a daughter of T.R. Colcord; she is a native of Wisconsin, and her parents were originally from New England. They have one child, a boy, Edgar I. They have an adopted child, a little girl of two or three years. Since 1869, Mr. Williams has been engaged in farming, and now has a farm of about 360 acres in New Home Township. He is taking quite an active interest in improving his own stock. In his political opinions he is a Republican and on questions of education and prohibition he is much in advance of the average. He is attached to the Methodist Episcopal Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WILLIAMS, Richard D.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Richard D. Williams was born in Wales, September 2, 1827, and in 1848, in company with his brother William, he came to this country and settled in Oneida County, New York. He learned the wagon and carriage trade, and after spending two years there, in 1850 he went to Watertown, Wisconsin, where he worked eighteen months. He was then located in Chicago for two years. In 1853 he visited California and mined for two years with good success. Returning to La Crosse, Wisconsin, he made it his home until the spring of 1857, when he came to Missouri and settled in Cooper County, and in the fall following visited Wales. In February, 1858, he returned to New York City, and married Miss Elizabeth Evans, of Brooklyn. She was born in Wales in 1825. Soon after their marriage they came to Cooper County, Missouri, and bought a farm and improved it. In 1861 Mr. Williams joined the Missouri militia and continued with them until 1864, when he moved to Weston and worked at his trade. He next located at Atchison, Kansas, and in 1866 he came to this city and settled on the property where he now lives, for which he had previously traded. He owned 100 acres of land, sixty of which forms an addition to the city. He built a fine residence and other buildings, and also set out five acres to choice fuit trees, which now constitutes a valuable orchard. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have two children living: George F. and David A. They lost their eldest child, Mary Caroline, who died May 30, 1863, when three years of age. Mr. W. is a Republican in politics, and with his estimable wife belongs to the Presbyterian Church. He donated three acres of land, the site of the Butler Academy, to the trustees of that institution and also made a liberal contribution for building the same. He came to the county with limited means, but has been fortunate in his buiness enterprises, and has always been foremost in making donations to all the enterprises which would tend to promote its prosperity. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Charlotte Township - S.K. Williams, physician and surgeon, at Virginia, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, and was born January 8, 1850. His parents were Thomas and Jane (Gray) Williams, the former of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, born in 1819, and the latter of Pickaway County, Ohio, born in 1825. They have lived in Homer Township, Bates County, since 1872. Our subject received his education at the Ohio Wesleyan University, of Delaware, Ohio, from which institution he graduated June 23, 1863. Soon after he began the study of medicine under Charles Davis. In 1873-4, he attended lectures at Columbia, and the year following graduated at Kansas City. Then he commenced the practice of his profession at Seneca, Missouri, and in 1878, located at Virginia, where he is having a good practice. January 28, 1880, Dr. Williams married Miss Bessie Gates, who was born August 31, 1857, in Illinois, and is a daughter of Joseph and Anna Gates nee Wiggins, both of England. Mrs. Williams was educated at Cincinnati, Ohio. They have one child, Mabel. The doctor is a member of the M.E. Church, and his wife of the Baptist. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - T.E. Williams, dealer in drugs and druggists' sundries, Sprague, is a Kentuckian by birth, and was born in 1844. His father, Josiah, and his mother, Ann Williams, were also born in Kentucky, the former on May 8, 1804, and the latter in April, 1804. They had a family of six chidlren: Morgan, Martha, Newton, Jasper, John J. and T.E. (twins). Young Williams was reared and educated in Macon County, Missouri, and in 1860 he accompanied his parents to Vernon County, Missouri, where they now reside. He spent the summer of 1874 in Colorado. December 23, 1877, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Madison, of Christian County, Missouri. In 1881 Mr. W. located at Hume, and has built up a good trade in his line. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - W.A. Williams, physician and surgeon, was born in Pettis County, Missouri, July 2, 1850. John H. Williams, his father, the son of Absalom and Sarah (Spurgeon) Williams, was a native of Davidson County, North Carolina, born April 1, 1820. He married June 25, 1851, Miss Arabella C. Gillen, a Kentuckian by birth, born in 1832, and a daughter of William and Maria Gillen, nee Oglesby. In 1846, John H. Williams settled in Pettis County, Missouri, and entered a farm. In 1850 he crossed the plains to California, remaining in the land of gold until 1851. In October, 1858, he moved to Knob Noster, Johnson County, Missouri, and there engaged in mercantile pursuits, going thence in 1859 to Brownsville, Saline County, being one of the leading merchants of the city until 1861. In 1865 he entered into the drug business, but in 1867 sold out and located on a farm, remained upon it until 1880, when he took a trip to Colorado. In 1881 he settled at Hume, and is now railroad agent and proprietor of the City Hotel. Our subject was educated at Wake Forest Institute, and in 1872-3, was a student at the State University at Columbia, Missouri. He first began the study of medicine under Dr. L.H. Williams, afterwards with W.D. Robinson, and later in the office of J.C. Hughes. In 1875 he was under James T. Hill in Johnson County, and on February 14, 1876, he graduated at Keokuk, Iowa. In 1877, he practiced at LaMont. In 1880 he visited Colorado, and upon returning, took up his situation in Hume, December 18, 1881, where he is rapidly gaining an enviable reputation among his brother practitioners. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Howard Township - Alexander Willoughby, farmer, section 36, came originally from Jackson County, Missouri, where he was born January 31, 1835, beng a son of James and Irena Willoughby, nee Brock. His father, a native of Virginia, born in 1775, was in the war of 1812. He went with his parents to Howard County, Missouri, in an early day, and was there married. His wife was born in 1799, in Kentucky. They had a family of fourteen children. Alexander accompanied the family to Platte County in 1847, and there his father died, and the following fall his mother with her children moved to Cass County, and settled near Harrisonville, on Camp Creek. He grew to manhood in this vicinity and in 1853, crossed the plains to Callifornia, and remained till 1856, when he returned to Missouri. Mr. W. was married July 10, 1858, to Miss Margaret A. Hollenback, who was born in Kendall County, Illinois, March 21, 1840. Her parents were Thomas and Susan (Darnell) Hollenback. In 1858, he settled naer where he now resides, and in 1862, moved his family to Kansas and enlisted in Company A, Second Missouri Volunteer Cavalry of the Confederate army, serving in Missouri, Arkansas and Texas, under General Price. At the close of the war he returned to his farm. He built the first grocery house in Sprague, and Mrs. W. was the pioneer postmistress. Their family consists of five children living: Carrie, James, Dora, Dovie and Clark. They lost a son, Alexander. They are members of the Baptist Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
New Home Township - Alexander Wilson, coal contractor, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, June 29, 1837. His parents were John and Jane (Diet) Wilson. His father was a coal miner, and when ten years of age Alexander began to assist his father in the mines, and his whole life has been devoted to this business. When twenty-one years old he commenced contracting, and for many years was sinking shafts, at times being required to go to a depth of five hundred feet. In 1870, he immigrated to America and worked for awhile in Maryland, and thence to Washington County, Illinois, and until July 4, 1876, was employed in the coal mines of Illinois, sometimes prospecting, again digging, and then contracting. Subsequently he located in Randolph County, Missouri, and took a contract north of Huntsville and also ran a grist mill in connection. In November, 1877, he went to Taylor County, Iowa, and purchasing a tract of land gave his attention to farming but nine months. In August, 1880, he moved to Johnson County, Missouri, and for three months had charge of the Johnson County Coal Mining Company. In December, 1880, he came to Rich Hill, and has since been at work in the mines here. In June, 1882, he took his present contract of the Rich Hill Coal Mining Company, to sink Shaft No. 5. Mr. Wilson was married March 21, 1861, to Miss Isabella Wood. They are connected with the United Presbyterian Church. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and also of the Knights of Pythias fraternities. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WILSON, Major D.H.
Prairie Township - Major D.H. Wilson, merchant and dealer in hardware at Papinville, was born October 25, 1828, in New Boston, Hillsborough County, New Hampshire. His father, Samuel Wilson, was a native of the same town, and his mother, formerly Sally Hadley, came originally from Goffstown, that state. The former was quite an extensive farmer for his day and the locality in which he resided. D.H. Wilson received the principal part of his education at Sanborn Bridge High School. When seventeen years of age he went to Massachusetts and apprenticed himself to learn the mason's trade, to which he applied himself for five years. Upon arriving at manhood and determined to seek his own fortune, he came westward and settled in Brown County, Illinois, which was his home for eighteen years. In October, 1861, he entered Company K, Tenth Illinois Cavalry, as a private, and on reorganization of the company he was elected first lieutenant, which rank he held until 1862, when he was detached as quartermaster. In 1863 he was promoted to captain, and served in that capacity until the re-enlistment of the regiment, when he was elected major. In 1865 he was honorably discharged. In 1867 Major W. was appointed internal revenue collector and disbursing agent of the Ninth Congressional District of Illinois, but only served four months, the senate, which was Republican, failing to confirm him, a Democrat. In March, 1868, he came to Bates County, Missouri, and established himself in the merchandise business, in which he is now having a good trade. He is also connected with the firm of Sanderson & Wilson, dealers in hardware at Rich Hill and Papinville. September 22, 1870, he married Miss S.W. Moss, of New Hampshire, a most estimable lady, and one possessing the true characteristics of New Englanders and the generous hospitality of the Southerners. They have one child, Ellen Maud, nine years of age. Major Wilson and his wife are members of the M.E. Church. He has been connected with the Masonic order since 1863. His trade has been very satisfactory since his location here and is constantly on the increase. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WILSON, Reuben C.
Pleasant Gap Township - Reuben C. Wilson, farmer and stock dealer, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Montgomery County October 28, 1824. His father, Joseph Wilson, was born in Virginia, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Ann Hopwood, the latter near Fairfax. Joseph Wilson served in the war of 1812. He early moved to Kentucky with his parents, who were among the pioneers of that state. The youthful days of Reuben C. were spent in Kentucky on the farm. He went to Illinois in 1856 and located in Sangamon County, and was engaged in working on a farm with the Hamilton Brothers. In 1858 he entered into partnership with these brothers, who were among the largest farmers, land owners and stock dealers of the state, and continued with them for a number of years. He resided in Sasngamon County until 1868, when he moved to Missouri in the spring of that year, purchasing land in Bates County, now a part of his present farm. Mr. Wilson has about 1,000 acres, with nearly 900 acres under fence. His home place consists of 200 acres in section 4, well improved, with a large residence, a good barn and convenient out buildings. There is an orchard of forty acres with some select varieties of fruits, a vineyard of 450 grape vines and a variety of small fruits on the place. Mr. W. was married in Bath County, Kentucky, December 16, 1847, to Miss Mariam Piersall, who died in Illinois in May, 1865, leaving five children: Franklin P., Charles T., Anna E. (now Mrs. Riley Burcham), George H. and James T. He waas again married in Illinois, February 16, 1867, to Miss Mary Cassity, a daughter of G.W. Cassity. She is also a native of Kentucky. There are four children by this marriage: Oliver P., Everett, Emma and Lou. Mr. W. and his wife were formerly members of the Christian Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mound Township - W.M. Wilson, a prominent farmer and stock raiser of Bates County, was born in Greene County, Ohio, on the 28th day of February, 1854. His father, Joseph E. Wilson, was born in Maryland, but was principally reared in Virginia. He afterwards moved to Ohio. The maiden name of his mother was Delia P. Marshall. W.M. spent his boyhood days on a farm and received his educatioin at Antioch College and the Ohio State University, from which institution he was graduated in 1876. He remained in his native state until 1879, when he came to Bates County, Missouri, and since that time hs been engaged in handling and feeding stock, with a good degree of success. Mr. Wilson was married, November 21, 1877, to Miss Mary A. Woodard, a native of Crawford County, Pennsylvania. Their family consists of two children: Mary and Minnie L. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WIMSATT, Lorenzo D.
The subject of this sketch was born in Wilson county, Kentucky, in 1847, and moved with his parents to Indiana in 1854. He was raised on a farm and educated in the common schools. He came to Missouri in 1878 and engaged in farming and stock raising in Jackson county. The following year he was married to Miss Lemora B. Goe. He moved his family to Bates county in 1890 and engaged in the mercantile business in Adrian. After conducting this business successfully for several years he sold out and moved on his farm near that town, in Mound township, where he now resides. He was a member of the Adrian School Board when the High School building was erected and was re-elected by a unanimous vote of the district. Served two terms as city councilman. Elected associate Judge of the Bates County Court, for the north district in 1898. He is a member of the Baptist church, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was nominated and elected as a Democrat. (Old Settler's History of Bates Co., Missouri, published by Tathwell & Maxey, Amsterdam, Missouri; copyright 1897)
WISE, James M. and Henry G.
Osage Township - James M. and Henry G. Wise, comprising the firm of J.M. Wise & Co., grocers and commission merchants, are natives of Vermillion County, Indiana, Henry G. having been born December 8, 1846, and James M., May 25, 1849. They remained at their birth place till 1867, when they removed to Miami County, Kansas, residing there for one year. Going to Cherokee County, Kansas, they were together engaged in the mercantile business at Baxter Springs till 1872, in which year they went to Joplin, Missouri, continuin to live in that city till 1877, and they are still interested in business at that point. They subsequently visited Leadville, Colorado, and were occupied in trade for two years, and the following year they resided at Lake City, Colorado. They then returned to Joplin, Missouri. Henry G. soon came to Rich Hill and embarked in the hide and tallow business, and after six months' time James M. joined his brother here, and they then established their present business. Henry G. Wise was married, July 1, 1874, to Miss Helenia Wescott, a native of Michigan. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WISEMAN & MAGILL
Osage Township - Wiseman & Magill, editors of the Western Enterprise, established their paper, in September, 1881. F.J. Wiseman is a native of Fayette County, West Virginia, and was born February 28, 1852. He was reared on a farm in his native state, and in 1879, went to Leadville, Colorado, and after being engaged in different occupations for one year, he returned east to Louisburg, Kansas. There he was occupied in publishing the Border Watchman, in connection with a Mr. Trickell. After remaining at this place five months,, he came to Rich Hill, and in September, 1881, in company with G.M. Magill, established the Enterprise. They have a circulation of about 1,000, and their paper is the official organ of the city, and one ably edited and deserving a wide circulation. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Guilford M. Magill, originally from Georgia, moved to Miami County, Kansas, when five years of age. He there grewup and was educated, and in 1881 he came with his partner to Rich Hill, Missouri. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Hudson Township - Abner Wix, the subject of this sketch, was born in Overton County, Tennessee, October 28, 1828. Reuben Wix, his father, was a native of New York or Pennsylvania, while his mother, whose maiden name was Jane Smith, came originally from South Carolina. Abner accompanied his parents to Illinois when a child, and first located in Hamilton County, afterward in Wayne County, and then, in 1835, in Fulton County. He spent his youth as a farmer boy, and received a common school education. He was married in Fulton County, in March, 1851, to Mrs. Susan Berry, a daughter of George Cooper. She was a native of Ohio, and was born, raised and educated in Holmes County. When eighteen years old Mr. Wix learned the blacksmith trade, and had charge of the machinery for a flouring and saw mill for four years. After his marriage he was engaged in farming for about twelve years, and in the fall of 1865, he moved to Woodford County, Illinois, and tilled the soil there four years. In the fall of 1869, he located in Bates County, Missouri, where he bought land. He has a farm of 170 acres, all in cultivation and pasture, with forty-five acres in tame meadow and fifty acres in timber, and seeded with grass. His orchard contains 300 apple and 100 peach trees, also pear, cherry, and small fruits. This place is in section 2. He has some good graded cotswold sheep and Poland China hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Wix are the parents of three children: Caroline (now Mrs. E.F. Henry), Joseph and Alice Jane (now Mrs. V.M. Phillips, of Nevada). Mrs. W. is a member of the United Brethren Church. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Deepwater Township - Clark Wix, the subject of this sketch, was born in Bates County, Missouri, February 5, 1850. His father, Judge Joseph Wix, is a native of Tennessee. He moved with his parents to Illinois when quite a small boy, and located in Fulton County. When eighteen years old he came to Missouri, and for a short time lived in Polk County, after which he moved to Bates. Here he was married to Miss Sarah E. Beatty, a Kentuckian by birth, and after his marriage he settled on a farm in this county, where he is one of the prominent men. Clark Wix spent his youth on his father's farm and received a good common school education. He was married in the county of his birth, February 21, 1871, to Miss Caroline E. Brown, a daughter of John W. Brown, of Bates County. She was born in Champaign County, Ohio. Mr. Wix afterwards farmed for three years on his father's estate, and then bought the land and improved his present farm in section 32. He has 320 acres, 180 under fence and 100 acres in cultivation, with a fair house, barn and outbuildings, and a bearing orchard. He is Republican in politics, and was appointed notary public in 1879, and was the postmaster of Lahai Post Office until it was discontinued in September, 1882. In the spring of 1881, he was nominated and elected a justice of the peace of his township. Mr. and Mrs. W. have three children: Nellie F., born June 10, 1874; Levi, born December 20, 1879, and Sarah, born September 22, 1882. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Charlotte Township - C.W. Wolfe, farmer, section 20, was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1842, and was a son of Jacob and Sarah (Bryson) Wolfe, the former originally of Athens County and the latter a native of Bedford County, Pennsylvania, but reared in Ohio. C.W. was brought up and educated in the county of his birth, and in 1861 he enlisted in the Twenty-second Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served for some five months. Going to Dallas County, Iowa, he farmed and taught school until September, 1864, when he enlisted in Company K, Iowa Volunteer Infantry. This time he served in Georgia, Mississippi, and with Sherman in his march to the sea, being mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky, July 24, and discharged at Davenport, Iowa, the August following. He then returned home. Mr. Wolfe had been married, July 10, 1862, to Miss Mary Young, a native of Athens County, Ohio, born in 1844, and a daughter of John and Mary (Higgins) Young. After his marriage Mr. W. located in Dallas County, Iowa, on a farm, remaining there until coming to Bates County, Missouri. In 1870 he settled in Homer Township and improved a farm of eighty acres, but upon selling out purchased his present estate, comprising 240 acres, well improved. He and his wife have five children: James J., David C., Julia E., Jacob Y. and Bertha. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WOLFE, Clinton R.
Osage Township - Clinton R. Wolfe was born in Montgomery County, Maryland, on the 10th day of March, 1846. His father, Josiah Wolfe, was a native of Maryland, and by occupation a farmer. His mother's maiden name was Anna L. Bell. She was born in the District of Columbia. In 1861 the family of Josiah Wolfe removed to Missouri, and settled in Johnson County, near Warrensburg, where Clinton was reared to manhood, and engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1870. In 1872 he moved to Moniteau County, Missouri, and here gave attention to the tobacco and grain business, until 1876. Coming to Bates County, he embarked in the drug trade at the old town of Rich Hill; in the fall of 1880 he moved his stock of goods to the new town, where he continued business till June, 1882. Previous to his removal to this city he was elected a justice of the peace for Osage Township, and he has since continued to hold this position. He is also a notary public. In April, 1881, Mr. W. was elected mayor of the city, and still discharges the duties of his office in a highly commendable manner. He married Miss Eva Perry, a native of Montgomery County, Maryland, and a most estimable lady. Their family consists of three children: Harry W., Anna B. and Alta. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WOLFE, Marshall L.
Mound Township - Marshall L. Wolfe, county surveyor and inspector of mines, was born in Hyattstown, Maryland, December 10, 1843, and was the third of a family of five children, four boys and one girl. He is the brother of C.R. Wolfe, mayor of Rich Hill, and also has one brother, George C., living on a farm near Rich Hill. One brother, John B., is a merchant at Johnstown, Moniteau County, and his only sister, Anna Embree, lives in Pettis County. His parents were Josiah Wolfe, who died when Marshall was about five years of age, and Ann L. (Bell) Wolfe, who afterwards married L.T. Hyatt, now a merchant at Columbus, Johnson County. In 1860 the family came to Missouri, and lived one year in Lafayette County, removing to Johnson, near Warrensburg. He attended the Lexington College for several months. In October 1865, Mr. Wolfe married Miss Kittie A. Dawson, daughter of Captain E.W. Dawson, of Johnson County. Her death occurred at Butler, December 21, 1880. She left two boys: John C., aged sixteen, and Dawsey R., a lad of twelve. In 1868 Mr. W. came to Bates County and located on the coal lands in New Home Township, where he engaged in farming and stock raising and where he lived until Rich Hill was started when he sold his land to the coal company, who began mining upon it. They have one of their best shafts on land bought of him. He had opened a mine and conducted it for three or four years prior to disposing of it. Going to Butler he erected a residence on Main Street. He invested money in farming lands, purchasing a farm of 160 acres in Mound Township, where he now lives, and 400 acres in New Home Township. He has also a farm of 480 acres in Greenwood County, Kansas. In 1880 Mr. Wolfe was elected county surveyor and overseer of roads and bridges, and was soon after appointed by the county court inspector of mines. Religiously he was brought up a Campbellite and in his political views he is a Democrat. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WOOD, Albert A.
Rockville Township - Albert A. Wood, farmer and stock man, was born in Onondaga County, New York, August 21, 1831, and is the eldest of a family of seven children. His parents were Stephen Wood, a native of Vermont, and Mahala (Lewis) Wood, who were born in the Empire state. When Albert was three years of age the family moved to Delaware County, Ohio, where he was reared to man's estate, being educated in the noted schools of Delaware. At the age of twenty he began to work in a mill, and continued at this until the call for troops took him from his business. He enlisted August 1, 1862, in Company C of the Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and served in the capacity of a non-commissioned officer until July, 1865. When the war closed he returned to the bosom of his family and resumed the control of his mill. This business he followed until 1871, when he conducted a farm for six years. Coming to Bates County, Missouri, in 1877, he has since devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. His farm contains 350 acres in good condition. Mr. Wood is a member of the orders of United Workmen and Odd Fellows. He was married, October 24, 1854, to Miss Margaret Bremzer, a native of Ohio. They have three children: Frank, Alice (wife of F.T. Clark) and Emma. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Osage Township - J.V. Woodhouse, superintendent of the Rich Hill Smelting Works, was born in England, January 10, 1826. During the time of his residence in his native country he was employed in a carpet factory, but when he was less than fourteen years of age he emigrated to America, locating in Sullivan County, New York. After one year he went to the city of Boston, and worked in a carpet factory there till he attained the age of twenty-three years.While thus employed he put up the first machinery in that city for manufacturing tapestry carpets. When he was twenty-three he left Boston with two steam engines for the Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin, where he was engaged in the lumber business, for seven years. Going to St. Louis, he fitted up the old Southern Hotel of that city, put in the heating apparatus for the Insane Asylum, afterwards worked in the machine shops of Girard B. Allen, and for some time was superintendent for the St. Louis Bridge Companay. In 1870 he went to Mine La Motte, Missouri, where he built the crushing and dressing works for a lead smelting company, and during this period obtained a patent for smelting which is now used in all mining districts. In 1877 he moved to Illinois, locating near Bunker Hill, where he had purchased a farm. Becoming dissatisfied with the life of an agriculturist, he remained but six months, then settling at Oronogo, Missouri, where he placed in position the pumping machinery for the lead and zinc mines. He built the smelting works for the lead company, at Webb City, Missouri, then erected the Pitcher Lead and Zinc Smelting Works at Joplin, and has been superintendent for the same company since completing the Rich Hill Smelting Works, of which a more extended notice is given in the history of this city. While in Boston, Mr. Woodhouse was married to Miss Harriet J. White, September 8, 1847; by this union they have ten children, eight of whom are now living: Thomas D., Warren, Joseph, Frank, George, Caddie, Henrietta, and Minnie. Mr. Woodhouse is a member of the I.O.O.F. order. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Grand River Township - Marion Woods was born in Lawrence County, Missouri, April 3, 1852. His father, Marvel S. Woods, is also a native Missourian. His mother was formerly a Miss Lucinda Bridges. They had a family of three sons and two daughters of whom Marion was the eldest. When ten years old he went to Kansas and worked on a farm for three years, then coming to Bates County and here he has since resided. He was married November 13, 1873, to Miss Catherine Crawford, also a native of this state. They have an interesting family of four children: Crayton, Lafayette, Coleman and Thomas. Mr. Woods lives on section 22 where he has a farm of 160 acres of good land with fair improvements. He keeps a number of horses, mules, cattle and hogs and trys to handle the best. He usually raises a large crop of wheat, having had fifty acres of his farm sown to wheat the past fall. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
Mt. Pleasant Township - J.D. Wright, farmer, section 27, was born in the state of Delaware on September 24, 1809, and is the son of O.H. and Nancy (Baker) Wright, also natives of Delaware. The former was born January 16, 1784, and the latter December 24, 1784. They were married October 10, 1806. When eleven years old J.D. accompanied his parents to Fayette County, Ohio, and there he grew to manhood. He was married October 7, 1830, to Miss Christina Wright, originally from Ross County, Ohio, born May 2, 1809. Subsequently Mr. W. began life in poor circumstances in Ohio, but in 1838, removed to Indiana, where he improved land, besides sixty acres of timber. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have eight children living: Joel, Mary, Malinda, Harriet, Jacob, Margaret, Christina and Annette. Four are deceased: Matilda, Jasper, Elizabeth and an infant. Mrs. Wright is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. W. was a county judge in 1864, and while in Indiana served one term there as county judge. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WYARD, Augustus F.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Augustus F. Wyard, dealer in harness, saddles, etc., came originally from Monroe County, Illinois, where he was born September 27, 1852. There he resided till sixteen years of age, when he removed to Bates County, Missouri, and engaged in cattle herding which he continued most of the time till 1873. He soon began learning the trade of harness making with J.T. Graves and after a little over two years' service, worked at journey work in different shops till 1877. Then he embarked in the business for himself, buying out T. Glass. Upon conducting that shop till December, 1881, he purchased the interest of J.T. Groves and consolidated the two stocks in his present place of business. He also has a branch establishment at Windsor, Missouri. Mr. W. was married April 28, 1879, to Miss Lizzie Evans whose death occurred September 24, 1880. He was again married December 28, 1881, to Miss Nanna Major, a native of Missouri, she having been married in the house where she was born. Mr. Wyard is a member of the I.O.O.F., and also of the Masonic fraternities. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WYATT, Hiram C.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Hiram C. Wyatt, proprietor of lumber yard, planing mill, etc., was born in Athens County, Ohio, May 5, 1831, in the same house in which his father, George Wyatt, ws born in 1803. He died in 1868. His mother, formerly Maria Cable, was born in New York, in 1804, and died in 1867. They were married in 1822, and had ten children, of whom H.C. and Philander L. only are living. Hiram C. received a good education at the schools of his native county, and worked on his father's farm until of age. He then settled on a part of the old farm, where he married Miss Mary F. Pratt, in 1859. She was the daughter of Eben and Susanna Wells Pratt, of Athens County. They have three children, two of whom, Anna M. and George Pratt, were born on the same place as their grandfather and father, and Edward Wells was born in Butler. Mr. Wyatt sold out his property in Ohio, in 1871, and came to Missouri and located in Butler, where he has since resided. He bought twenty acres, which is now within the city limits, built a good residence, one of the finest in the city, and in 1874 formed a co-partnership with John F. Boyd. They purchased the small lumber yard of John A. Warner, and added a large and well assorted stock of lumber, shingles and building materials, it now constituting one of the finest yards in the county. In the spring of 1882 they started a planing mill and a manufactory of doors, moulding, etc., which is located at the depot. They have good machinery, and are doing an excellent business. Mry Wyatt was a member of Capt. E.P. Henry's company in the Thirty-sixth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, Fourteenth Army Corps, during the war, and shared all the hardships incident to many hard fought battles in which the regiment participated. He was wounded at Mission Ridge, the bullet passing thorugh the body and lodging in his clothing. He then was sent to the hospital in Washington, where he remained until mustered out, in 1864, with the regiment. In politics he is a Republican, and in his church affiliations a Presbyterian. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
WYATT, Philander L.
Mt. Pleasant Township - Philander L. Wyatt, farmer and breeder of fine Merino sheep, was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1847, and was the son of George and Maria (Cable) Wyatt, both natives of Ohio. He attended good common schools and remained at home on his father's farm for the most of the time, until in 1871, when he came to Missouri, settling in Butler, when with his brother he bought forty acres of land which is now a part of the city. He erected a good residence, which with the location and surroundings are among the best in the city. He has a farm of 800 acres, west of town, where he keeps from 1,000 to 1,500 head of sheep. He is breeding from the best flocks in the west, and few flocks can be found east or west, of superior breeding. He makes sheep raising and herding his principal business. Mr. Wyatt married Miss Maria Henry in 1868. They have three children: Frank, Jessie and Almon. Mr. Wyatt is a true type of eastern enterprise - thorough in all business transactions, and unassuming in his intercourse with those about him. Matthew Henry, father of Capt. E.P. Henry, and of Mrs. Wyatt, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1797. He came with his father to Washington County, Ohio, when six years old, and in 1839, moved to Athens County. He married Miss Mary Peak in Washington County in 1825. They have nine children living: Sarah Ann (now Mrs. Henry Glazier), Almon, Mary Louse (now Mrs. Wallace Henry), Harriet (now Mrs. Charles Wyatt), Kate (now Mrs. George Henry), Capt. Edward P., Robert Barnard, Charles and R.B. live on the old homestead, with Maria (now Mrs. P.L. Wyatt); George died when eleven years old, Matthew Henry died in 1852. Mrs. Henry is now seventy-five years of age, and very active for one of her years, and lives with her youngest daughter (Mrs. P.L. Wyatt), where she is enjoying every comfort possible. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)