The following is directly quoted from the History of Boone County, Missouri originally published in 1882. It is purported to be "written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources". The style may be slightly old fashioned and in some places quite "full of themselves", but nevertheless it is entertaining and very informative reading.
At first view, and without thought or examination, it may be affirmed by some that Boone county has no history which is worthy of the name, or at least which assumes such proportions and importance as to merit publication in an enduring form. It is not improbable that a hasty judgment would conclude that at best this history consists of few events of special interest, and that none of them have influenced the policy, development or destiny of the State.
Closer and more thorough examination, however, will disclose the fact that Boone county has nobly and courageously borne its part in advancing the progress, civilization and culture of our time, and the common prosperity and glory of the commonwealth of Missouri.
Originally its territory constituted a part of the county of Howard, which, as organized in 1816, was an empire in superficial area. The act of the General Assembly, approved January 13, 1816, organizing Howard county out of the territories of St. Louis and St. Charles, fixed its boundaries substantially as follows: Beginning at the mouth of the Osage river, which is about ten miles below the present Cty [sic] of Jefferson and opposite the village of Barkersville in Callaway county, the boundary pursued the circuitous course of said stream "to the Osage boundary line", meaning thereby the eastern boundary of the Osage Indian territory, or to the northeast corner of Vernon county, where the Osage river, two miles east of the present town of Schell City, runs near said corner; thence north (along the western of St. Clair, Henry, Johnson, and Lafayette), to the Missouri river, striking that stream west of and very near Napoleon; thence up said river to the mouth of the Kansas river, (now Kansas City), "thence with the Indian boundary line, (as described in a proclamation of the Governor [Wm. Clark] issued the ninth day of March, 1815,) northwardly along the eastern boundary of the "Platte Purchase" one hundred and forty miles, or to a point about 36 miles north and within the present county of Adams, Iowa, near the town of Corning in said county, on the Burlington and Missouri River railroad, "thence eastward with the said line to the main dividing ridge of high ground, to the main fork of the river Cedar [which is the line between Boone and Callaway counties in Missouri], and in the middle of the main channel thereof, to the mouth of the great Osage river, the place of the beginning."
Although these boundaried cannot be definitely traced on the map, it is nevertheless clearly seen that Howard county, as orginally organized in 1816,1 more than five years before the State was admitted into the Union, embraced not only the present territory of the county of Boone, but in addition a vast area north and south of the Missouri river, and including the present counties of Cole, north part of Miller, Morgan, north parts of Benton and St. Plair, Henry, Johnson, Lafayette, Pettis, Cooper, Moniteau, Saline, Clay, Clinton, DeKalb, Gentry, Worth, Harrison, Daviess, Caldwell, Ray, Carroll, Livingston, Grundy, Mercer, Putnam, Sullivan, Linn, Chariton, Randalph, Macon, Adair, and probably parts of Shelby, Monroe and Adrain. And in addition the following counties in Iowa: parts of Taylor and Adams; Union, Ringgold, Clarke, Decatur, and Wayne, and probably parts of Lucas, Monroe and Appanoose.
A vast empire to constitute a single county, embracing at least five of the present counties of Iowa and probably parts of as many more, and in addition more than thirty of the present counties of Missouri, eight and parts of three others south of the river, and twenty-three and parts of several others north of it, this large expanse of territory, covering about forteen million acres of land and presenting a superficial area of 21,874 square miles. An area larger than ancient Greece, and as large as Saxony and Switzerland combined, and larger than the States of Vermont, Massachusetts, Delaware and Rhode Island.
In one respect, therefore, it might truthfully be said that as the present territory of Boone for five years and more constituted a part of the extensive empire, its history is properly the history of Boone county, and that this volume should embrace the entire county of Howard for that period.
But such is not the scope and character of the history which follows, the simple object being to record in chronological order the more important events which transpired within the present limits of Boone county from the earliest white settlement in 1815 to the present time, a period of sixty-seven years.
In superficial area - 674 square miles or 431,000 acres - Boone county is larger than some of the states of Europe and the islands of the ocean, which stricken from the roll of empire or blotted from the annals of nations would so mar the history of the eastern hemisphere as to leave it measurably without a history.
It is also about half as large as one of the States of the American Union, and one-third the area of several others; and in the sphere in which it has moved, and to the extent of its opportunitites and capacity, and the comparatively short period which has elapsed since its first settlement, will favorably compare in the achievements and prowess with some geographical divisions of our own and foreign lands, larger even in size and much older in years, whose history is canonized in poetry and song.
Located in the central part of the State, and settle nearly seventy years ago [this being written in 1882 - ed.] by a hardy and progressive race of pioneers, who then laid the foundations of its present prosperity, wealth and culture, it will be found that its history is an enexhaustible store-house of "moving incidents by flood and field," of events grave and gay, of steady advancement in agriculture, education and a Christian civilization, and in all the arts of peace.
What is here claimed for it receives ample verification in its improved farms and farm machinery, its farm-houses and barns, its churches and schools, its newspapers and periodicals, its improved stock and thoroughfares, the prowess of its soldiers in war and the eloquence and achievements of its statesmen and orators in council, the culture and beauty of its women, the qualifications and success of its scholars and teachers, the earnestness and ability of its clergymen, the learning and character of its lawyers, the genius of its authors, poets and novelists, and the general thrift, hospitality, and public spirit of its people.
In a word: No county in the State, St. Louis city and county excepted, has contributed more vitality to the agencies which are solving for the State the problems of prosperity, wealth, and culture, or in a larger measure influenced the councils or shaped the policy of the commonwealth, than "Old Boone".
Such a county and such a people have a history, and one which, if faithfully and accurately written, will disclose a wealth of incident, adventure and interest not excelled by any in the Great West.
The county comprises a part of that large area of inland territory which, in the earlier times, received the name of "The Boone's Lick Country", and which embraced "the nine upper counties on the Missouri River, Clay, Ray, Chariton, Howard, Boone, Cole, Cooper, Saline, and Lillard,"2 the name of the latter being changed to Lafayette, February 16, 1825, a circumstance which was no doubt inspired by Lafayette's visit to St. Louis during that year.
Howard County was the largest, most populous, and at that period the most important of the counties belonging to "The Boone's Lick Country," and contained a small salt spring in Cooper's Bottom, now in Boone's Lick Township, in that county, and nearly opposite Arrow Rock, from which the name was derived.3
It is quite a prevalent error that Boon's Lick [sic] or the salt spring above mentioned, was first occupied and utilized as a manufactory of salt by Daniel Boone, the old Kentucky pioneer. There is no evidence known to us that Daniel Boone ever owned or operated or saw the spring, or ever was in Howard County. Two of his sons, however, - Nathan and Daniel M. Boone, - during the summer of 1807, and in company with three other men, left the Femme Osage Creek settlement, in St. Charles County, where the elder Boone then lived, and came up to Howard County with a few kettles to manufacture salt at this spring, and, because of this fact, it was called "Boone's Lick".
Up to the close of the last war with Great Britain, which is known in the popular parlance and denominated in the laws of Congress as "the War of 1812", nearly if not all the inhabitants of Howard county were confined to three small stockade forts - Cooper's, Hempstead's and Kincaid's4 - and therefore the present territory of Boone was substantially without population, unless the hostile tribes of Indians - Sacs and Foxes, Kickapoos and Pottawatamies - which abounded in this part of the then territory, are accounted as such.
It is true, that as early as 1812-13, before the tide of flagrant war reached the interior of the territory, a few of the small hive of emigrant Kentuckians that settled in Cooper's bottom ventured to the rich lands on the east side of the Moniteau, at "Thrall's Prairie", as it was afterwards called; and no doubt they were inspired to make the venture by the protection afforded by Head's Fort, a small stockade defence named in honor of Capt. William Head.
It was situated in a curve of the Moniteau, and on the east side of it in Howard county, about two miles north of Rocheport, a mile and a half south of where the old St. Charles road crossed the Moniteau, and about a half mile west of the Boone line and the same distance east of the creek. It was located at a spring of never-failing water, which is on land now (1882) owned by Mr. John L. Jones.
First White Settlement in Boone
The history of Boone County, not unlike the history of the largest empires on the globe, may be said to be funnel-shaped. Starting from a single point of time (1815) and from a single locality (Thrall's Prairie), its contour diverges and widens as the years roll on until it embraces the population, growth and achievements of nearly three-quarters of a century.
In the beginning a paragraph, a line, a word would record all it had of history. After the elapse of seventy years, so rapid has been the succession and so countless the number of its events, so transforming the forces of its being, and so progressive and civilizing the nature of its achievements in art, in education, in religion, and in all the varied industries which characterize the civilization of our age, that an octavo volume is too small to perpetuate its annals.
The first settlement, or more properly the first cabin erected and patch of corn planted, were the work in 1812-13, of John and William Berry, Wm. Baxter and Reuben Gentry, in the neighborhood, if not on a part, of what is now known as "the Model Farm", formerly constituting the large and rich estate of the late Hon. John W. Harris, and in earlier times called "Thrall's Prairie".5 In the same neighborhood, soon after, settled James Barnes, Robert and Mitchel Payne, John Denham, David McQuitty and Robert Barclay, with their families. Little progress, however, was made in the settlement of the country, now embraced by the boundary lines of Boone County, until after the subsidence of the war with Great Britain, and until after the treaty of 1815 by which the Indians relinquished all claim to any portion of the territory north of the Missouri River. In fact, it may be affirmed as substantially true that, anterior to this time, there was not a white settlement worthy of the name within the present limits of the county.
Speedily succeeding the declaration of peace and the ratification of this treaty of relinquishment of Indian title the tide of immigration set in as a flood, and Robert Hinkson (not Hinckston), after whom the creek on which Columbia is located was called; William Callaham, for whom "Callaham's Fork", of the Perche, is named; Wm. Graham, Reuben and Henry Cave, and perhaps some others, all from Madison County, Ky., settled along the old Boone's Lick trail, or old St. Charles Road, leading from St. Louis to Franklin - a "trail" which was first traversed in 1808-10 by Lieutenant-Colonel Ben. Cooper, and other immigrants of that name, while en route from Madison County, Ky., via St. Charles County and Loutre Island settlement to the neighborhood of "Boone's Lick", in Howard County.
In 1869-70, Mr. E.W. Stephens, as assistant editor of the Columbia Statesman, of which paper Col. W.F. Switzler was editor and proprietor, prepared for and published in that journal, a series of interesting historical sketches of Boone County, in which it is claimed that "Callaham, Graham and Hinkson stopped along the Boone's Lick trail and erected cabins, as taverns, for the accommodation of movers and travellers"; that Callaham "was a noted hunter and Indian fighter, and can be justly designated as the first white man who ever settled in Boone County. Nearly the same time, however, John Graham built a cabin near the present site of Rocky Fork church (seven miles northwest of Columbia), and he was followed by Robert Hinkson, who lived near the source of the stream that bears his name".
The years 1816, 1817 and 1818 - the latter the year of the first land sales at Franklin, - witnessed a great influx of population into the "Boone's Lick country", and into the territory now composing the county of Boone.
In 1816, Augustus Thrall and others settled in what was soon thereafter known as "Thrall's Prairie". The Stephens - Statesman sketches say that "in 1816 settlement in Boone County began in earnest. In the spring of that year a number of the inhabitants of Head's Fort, located near Rocheport, settled on what was afterwards known as Thrall's Prairie, situated four miles north of the present site of Rocheport. They settled upon "Madrid locations". "Madrid locations" were tracts of land which were granted by the government to settlers who had suffered losses by the earthquakes in the county of New Madrid, in the years 1811 and 1812. Most of the land of that section was entered by Taylor Berry, of Franklin".6
"This settlement was made by Anderson Woods, in company with the following persons: Robert Barclay, John Barnes, William Pipes, Absalom Hicks, John Stephenson, Jefferson Fulcher, a family of Bartons, Jesse Richardson and several others.
"The settlement grew with great rapidity, and soon comprised some among the best citizens of that time - men who have left their impress upon the history and development of our county. Among them we note the following: Augustus Thrall, Oliver Parker, Anderson Woods, Tyre Harris, Overton Harris, Sampson, William and Stephen Wilhite, Henry Lightfoot, James Ketchum, William Boone, William Goslin, John Slack, Wilford Stephens, Jonathan Barton, James Cochran, Reuben Hatton, Charles Laughlin, and a number whose names we have not space to give.
"In 1819, Oliver Parker had a store there and kept a post-office, which was for some time known as "Lexington".
"In the spring of 1817, the next settlement was begun, in Perche Bottom, in the southwestern portion of the county, by John Hickam, Anthony Head, Peter and Robert Austin, John McMickel, Jacob Maggard, Silas Riggs and Abraham N. Foley.
"In 1817, immigration to the county was very large, and in every section large settlements sprung up with amazing rapidity, and steadily increased during the years 1818, 1819 and 1820. It is, of course, impossible to ascertain with exactitude the date of the immigration or primitive abodes of these early settlers, but it is due to those hardy and worthy pioneers, who first reclaimed our county from a wilderness, that their names should be preserved as far as possible, in a permanent history of our county.
"On Southern Two-mile Prairie were Overton Harris, Peter Bass, Peter Ellis, Tyre Martin, Lawrence Bass, Mason Moss, D.M. Hickman, Wilson Hunt, John Broughton, Benjamin White, David Doyle, Samuel Crockett, Philip and Benjamin Barns, Daniel Vincent, Lewis Woolfolk, William Shields, Wm. Simms, Noah Sapp, Ed. Bass, Abraham Barns, John Jamison, Robert and Cyrus Jones, Richard Lawrence, Durrett Hubbard, Francis Lipscomb, J.P. Lynes, John Yates, Ambrose C. Estes, Stephen Chapman, Richard and James Barns, Elias Simms, Mosias Jones, John M. Smith, Michael Hersh, Daniel Hubbard, James Harris. On the Two-mile Prairie north of the St. Charles road, were Samuel, Elijah and Sampson Wright, Elias Newman, Isaac Geyhert, Charles Helm, James Chandler, Wm. Edwards, Elijah Stephens, Thomas Peyton Stephens, Samuel Riggs, Absalom Renfro, Nicholas McCubbin, Wm. Wright, Wm. Timberlake, James and Hugh Crockett, Benjamin Estill, Rev. Mr. Kirkpatrick (a Methodist preacher), Asa Stone, Thomas D. Grant, Roger N. Todd, Levi McGuire, Lazarus Wilcox, Thomas C. Maupin, Nicholas S. Kavanaugh, John Read and James Barns.
In the vicinity of Claysville lived William Ramsay, Jesse Byrant, Mark Cunningham.
From the neighborhood of Rocheport to Thrall's Prairie were located John Grey, Gaven Head, Joseph Head, John Berry, David and Andrew McQuitty, Samuel Beattie, Robert Daly, John Copher, Solomon and Zachariah Barnett, Wm. Baxter, James Boggs, David and James Pipes, John Copeland, David Kincaid, Wm. Lientz, John G. Philips, Michael Woods, J.R. Abernathy, Robert D. Walkup, and Tyre Harris.
East and southeast of Rocheport, more generally known as "Terrapin Neck", lived Granville Bledsoe, Daniel Lewis, James Lewis, Wm. Lewis, Pattison Y. Russell, Jesse Lewis, Wm. Burch, John Graves, Ichabod C. Hensley, Thomas Williams, and Richard Fulkerson.
In the vicinity of the present site of Midway, lived John Henderson, Jonathan Freeman, Benjamin Mothershead, Charles Laughlin, W.T. Hatton, Geo. Crump, Wm. and James Y. Jones, John Ogan.
A few miles north of Columbia, resided Caleb Fenton, Riley Slocum, Hiram Phillips, David C. Westerfield, Jacob Hoover, John Slack, John T. Evans, Zachariah Jackson, John Harrison. Still farther north, near where now stands Red Top meeting-house, were James Hicks, Wm. L. Wayne, and Zaddock Riggs.
Northeast of Columbia, seven or eight miles, dwelt Robert Hinkson, ------ Bibb, Thomas and John Kennon, Dennis Callaham, James W. Fowler, Samuel Johnson, Robert Houston, and Joseph Persinger.
"On Perche Creek, in the northwestern section of the county, where the old road, or "Boone's Lick Trace", crossed the Perche, there stood the old town of Perche, long since obliterated. Some of its inhabitants were George and Isham Sexton, James C. Babbitt, James Ryan, Adam E. Rowland, Peter Stivers, Nicholas Gentry, and Enoch Taylor.
"Near where Rockyfork meeting-house now stands lived John Graham, Aquilla and Amos Barnes.
Where Hallsville now stands lived John Roberts and other families of the same name, Peter and Joseph Fountain, Andrew J. Hendrick, and John and Joshua Davis, and Smith Turner.
Near where Rockbridge Mills now are were Thomas S. Tuttle, the original settler of that place; Peter Creason, Nathan Glasgow, Elias Elston, and John H. Lynch.
Within the neighborhood of Providence lived first Ira P. Nash, for whom Nashville was named; then John and Robert Peters and Gilpin S. Tuttle.
A few miles northwest of Columbia were John Witt, James Turley, James Mayo, and a family of Barnetts.
Around the present site of Columbia were Richard Gentry, Lewis Collins, John Vanhorn, J.M. Kelly, Peter Wright, Dr. D.P. Wilcox, Samuel Wheller, A.B. Lane, Thomas Dooley, James Lipscomb, David Jackson, Henry, Richard and Reuben Cave, David Todd, Warren Woodson, Thos. W. Conyers, Charles Burns, Wallace Estill, Minor Neal, William Ridgeway, Peter Kerney, Kemp M. Goodloe, John Cave, Daniel King, James Laughlin, Elijah and Abraham N. Foley, John J. Foster, Adam C. Reyburn, and Willis Boyse.
"The first church organized in the Boone's Lick country was Mount Pleasant, in 1815, seven miles north of old Franklin.
"The first church organized in Boone County was called "Bethel", and was situated in a northwestern section of the county, eight miles north of Rocheport. It was organized June 28, 1817; the persons forming it were Anderson Woods, Betsey Woods, David McQuitty, John Turner, and James Harris. William Thorp was its first pastor. The next church formed was Little Bonne Femme, in December, 1819, by David Doyle, Anderson Woods, Elizabeth Woods, James Harris, Polly Harris, Mourning Harris, Elizabeth Kennon, John Maupin, Elias Elston, Matthew Haley, Jane Tuttle, Lazarus Wilcox, Lucy Wilcox, James Wiseman, Thomas S. Tuttle, and Nancy Tuttle. David Doyle was the first pastor, and continued in that position for ten years, when he became pastor of Salem Church, and so continued for thirty years, thus spending forty years in the ministry in our county, for which, it is said, he never received a dime of remuneration".
Two important events: The first newspaper and the first steamboat at Franklin
Although Franklin is not, and never was, in Boone County, there were two events which occurred there, the first in April and the second in May, 1819, of sufficient importance in the history of "the Boone's Lick Country", of which this county was a part, to justify in this place more than a passing notice. Both of these events had an important bearing upon the development and destiny of interior Missouri, and of the whole State; and a detailed account of them is an enduring form is justified by their prominence and significance.
The first newspaper
On the 23d of April, 1819, Nathaniel Patten and Benjamin Holliday commenced the publication of the Missouri Intelligencer in Franklin, then a flourishing town on the Missouri river and opposite Boonville. The size of the sheet was 18 by 24 inches, and it was printed on what is known among printers as the Ramage press, a wooden contrivance with cast-iron bed, joints and platen, and which at this day is a great curiosity. About twenty-five years ago Col. Wm. F. Switzler presented this press to the Mercantile Library Association of St. Louis, the Missouri Historical Society then not being in existence, where it can be seen.
Recently we came in possession of full and complete files, substantially bound, of the Missouri Intelligencer from its initial number, April 23, 1819, to its last issue (in Columbia), December 5, 1835, embracing a period of over sixteen years, to which we are indebted for much valuable historical matter relating to this county, and which will be found in its proper place in this book.
Many changes occurred in the publishers or owners of the Intelligencer, the details of which we have taken the trouble to collect from its files, and to record as follows:-
April 23, 1819, to June 10, 1820, Nathaniel Patten and Benjamin Holliday, publishers. (Mrs. E.W. McClannahan, near Columbia, is a daughter of Mr. Holliday.7)
June 10, 1820, Mr. Patten retired as publisher, leaving Mr. Holliday in charge, or owner, who continued till July 23, 1821, when John Payne, a lawyer, became editor. He was a native of Culpepper county, Va., and died in Franklin, September 15, 1821, aged 24 years.
September 4, 1821, Mr. Payne retired and Holliday again assumed control.
August 5, 1822, to April 17, 1824, Nathaniel Patten and John T. Cleaveland are publishers. Mr. Cleaveland died some years ago at an advanced age in Austin Texas.
April 17, 1824, Mr. Cleaveland retired, leaving Mr. Patten as sole publisher, which position he continued to hold until the sale of the paper by him to Mr. Fred. A. Hamilton, December 12, 1835.
Last issue of the Intelligencer in Franklin, June 16, 1826.
First issue of the Intelligencer in Fayette, June 29, 1826.
July 5, 1827, John Wilson, then a young lawyer in Fayette, is announced as editor, which position he held till July 25, 1828. Mr. Wilson died in San Francisco, Cal., February 2, 1877, aged 87 years.
In August, 1827, James H. Birch commenced the publication in Fayette of the Western Monitor.
April 9, 1830, last issue of the Intelligencer in Fayette.
May 4, 1830, first issue of the Intelligencer in Columbia.
December 5, 1835, last issue of the Intelligencer in Columbia.
December 12, 1835, first issue of the Patriot in Columbia.
December 23, 1842, last issue of the Patriot, and January 6, 1843, first issue of its successor, the Statesman, which has been regularly continued to this day under the same management.
August 1, 1881, after twelve years' experience as business manager, Irwin Switzler, eldest son of W.F. Switzler, became proprietor of the Statesman, the latter continuing as editor-in-chief.
Near the close of the year 1835 it became known that Mr. Patten, owing to failing health, intended to dispose of the Intelligencer office, and as the Presidential and State elections of the following year were approaching, the possession of the paper became an object of interest to some of the politicians and people, Whig and Democratic, about Columbia. Both parties wanted it; and the Democrats, under the leadership of Austin A. King, then a lawyer resident here and in 1848 elected Governor of the State, Dr. Wm. H. Duncan, still an honored citizen of Columbia, Dr. Alexander M. Robinson and others made some efforts to secure the office. While negotiations to this end were pending, Robert S. Barr, Oliver Parker, Wm. Cornelius, Warren Woodson, Moses U. Payne, A.W. Turner, Joseph B. Howard, John B. Gordon, Sinclair Kirtley, David and Roger N. Todd, Dr. Wm. Jewell, James S. Rollins, Thomas Miller and perhaps other Whigs, entered into a written agreement to raise the money to purchase the press and materials, and they did it with the understanding that Frederick A. Hamilton, a practical printer, should take charge of the publication, and Rollins and Miller, then two young lawyers of Columbia, editorial conduct of the paper, the name of which, December 12, 1835, was changed to Patriot. Hamilton was announced as publisher, and Rollins and Miller as editors. Maj. Rollins selected from Shakspeare the motto of the Patriot, "Be just and fear not; let all the ends thou aimest at be thy country's" which it bore until it was supplanted by the Statesman in 1843, and which has ever since floated at the masthead of the Statesman.
Of the parties named in this connection all are dead except Duncan, Rollins and Payne.
Rollins and Miller finally became owners of the office and continued to edit the paper until the close of the Presidential election of 1840, when Rollins sold his interest to Wm. T.B. Sanford, a printer, and retired, leaving Col. Miller sole editor.
In July, 1841, the present editor of the Stateman became editor of the Patriot, Col. Thomas Miller having retired, but still retaining a half ownership, with the hope of recuperating his health by a trip across the plains to Santa Fe. Dying en route of pulmonary consumption, September 15, 1841, at "Round Mound", two hundred miles this side of his destination, where he was interred on the treeless plain, aged 31 years, more than three months elapsed before news of his death reached columbia. February 19, 1842, Wm. T.B. Sanford, surviving partner of the firm of Miller and Sanford, sold Col. Miller's interest to John B. and Younger J. Williams, the new proprietors, Sanford, Williams & Co., assuming control March 1, 1842. On the 19th of August, 1842, Dr. A.J. McKelway (now a citizen of Marion county) purchased Mr. Sanford's interest, became editor - Wm. F. Switzler retiring, - and in conjunction with the Williams brothers, published the Patriot till December 16, 1842, when Wm. F. Switzler purchased McKelway's half interest and he retired. At the same time John B. Williams sold his interest to his brother, Younger J., who, as an equal partner with Wm. F. Switzler, on January 1, 1843, changed the name of the paper to Missouri Statesman, under which name, with Wm. F. Switzler as editor, it has ever since been issued, now nearly forty years.
Mr. Sanford, some years afterward, went to Los Angelos [sic], California, and just before the war was lost on the Sacramento River in a burning steamboat.
Younger J. Williams died February 19, 1843, and his interest was resold to his brother John B., who, in January, 1845, sold out to Wm. F. Switzler, who then became sole editor and proprietor. John B. Williams died in Fulton, Mo., April 6, 1882, aged sixty years, as editor and proprietor of the Telegraph.
Mr. Patten was a very reputable citizen, small in stature, and quite deaf. He and his wife set the type for his paper and edited it, she therefore being the first female compositor west of the Mississippi River.8 The Patriot was first published in a little hewed log house on the northeast corner of the lot on which Mr. B. Loeb now lives, and afterwards in a small frame (destroyed by fire Oct., 1874), which then stood on Broadway, near the old brick public school building. Several of the printers' stands, made of walnut lumber, which were used in the Intelligencer office in 1819, and in the offices of all its successors, are now in daily use in the office of the Statesman.
Nathaniel Patten, Jr., a son of the proprietor of the old Intelligencer, now resides at South Fork, Rio Grande County, Colorado, and from him we have recently received bound files in good order of that paper from April 23, 1819, to December 5, 1835, a period of more than sixteen years.
Arrival of the first steamboat.
The second notable event in 1819 was the arrival at Franklin, on May 28, of the steamer Independence, of Capt. John Nelson - the first which ever attempted the navigation of the Missouri River.
Col. Elias Rector and others, of St. Louis, had chartered her at Louisville, Ky., to go up the Missouri as high as the town of Chariton, now a deserted town two miles above Glascow, near the mouth of the Chariton River. She left St. Louis May 15, 1819, and arrived at Franklin, Howard County, on May 28, occasioning the wildest excitement and the greatest joy among the people.
1. The county was reduced to its present limits by
an act of the Legislature approved February 16, 1825. See Revised Statutes,
1825. Vol. I, page 233.
2. See Franklin (Mo.) Intelligencer of November 26, 1822.
3. See Franklin (Mo.) Intelligencer of January 7, 1823. The spring or "lick" is about two miles northeast of the ferry landing opposite Arrow Rock, and is on land now (1882) owned by Wm. N. Marshall.
4. Cooper's Fort was two miles southwest of Boone's Lick; Kincaid's, nine miles southwest of Cooper's and about one mile north of the present (1882) railroad bridge at Boonsville; and Fort Hempstead, about one and a half miles north of Kincaid's. All were built in 1812. (Campbell's Gazetteer, p.246.) The spot on which Cooper's Fort was located is now (1882) about one and a half miles from the ferry landing opposite Arrow Rock, and the land is owned by John A. Fisher. Capt. Sarshell Cooper, after whom the fort was named, was killed in it on the night of April 14, 1814, by Indians, and buried near by, the precise placed on interment being now unknown, and in a corn or wheat field. Mr. Eusebius Hubbard, who now (1882) resides on the two-mile prairie, ten miles southeast of Columbia, and who came to Howard county from Madison county, Ky., aided in building Fort Hempstead.
5. "Thrall's Prairie", or "the Model Farm", is twelve miles northwest of Columbia and four north of Rocheport, and is now in part the property of Warren A. Smith.
6. Mr. Berry was a gentlemen of wealth and a large land speculator. On August 31, 1824, he fought a duel on Wolf Island, in the Mississippi River, with Judge Abiel Leonard, formerly of Fayette, at ten paces, with pistols. Berry fell at the first fire, mortally wounded, but lingered until September 22, same year, and died at New Madrid. During the war of 1812 he served in the Pay Department of the Northwestern army at Detroit.
7. Mr. Holliday was born in Spottsylvania C.H., Va., June 8, 1786; came to Franklin, Mo., in February, 1819, and died near Boonsboro, Howard County, Mo., April 1, 1859.
8. Mrs. Patten, formerly Miss Elvira A. Williams, was born near Charleston Va., July 4, 1807, and died in St. Joseph, Mo. (then being Mrs. Overall), on January 24, 1878, aged 71 years. In 1823, at Old Chariton, Howard County, she first married Dr. John Holman. He dying on Monday, November 27, 1826, and Mr. Patten's wife, Mrs. Matilda Patten, dying on Friday, December 27, 1829, on Sunday, February 27, 1831, at the residence of Mrs. H.T. Peerce, in Columbia, Rev. W.P. Cochran officiating, they were married. The fruit of this marriage was Nathaniel Patten, Jr., who now resides in South Fork, Rio Grande County, Colo. After the death of Mr. Patten, she married Maj. Wilson Lee Overall, of St. Charles (Aug. 16, 1840), by whom she had three children, namely, Mrs. John F. Williams, St. Louis (wife of the Insurance Commissioner), John H. Overall, of St. Louis, a well known lawyer, and son-in-law of Hon. J.S. Rollins, and Mrs. L.E. Carter, of St. Joseph, at whose house she died, as above stated. Maj. Overall died in St. Charles of paralysis, December 24, 1850. Mr. Patten died in St. Charles in 1837, and at the time of his death was proprietor of the Clarion newspaper.
Return to main Boone County USGenWeb page
This page is © Copyrighted 1996-2003 by BoCoMo a portion of The USGenWeb Project.
Last updated 27 October 1996