Cape Girardeau County, Missouri



  • Cape Girardeau County was formed in 1812 as an Original District;
    the county seat is
    Jackson.
Appleton in Cape Girardeau County Mo

  • Appleton Appleton situated on Apple Creek, north of Oak Ridge, was settled in 1824, by John McLane and John Schultz.
    The first store was opened by Kimmel & Taylor in 1829.

    It is 16 miles north of Jackson, and 14 miles west southwest of Wittenberg (Perry County).
    It was settled in 1824...It contained 2 general stores, 1 hotel, a brewery and a public school, 1 saddlers and 1 wagon shop, a saw and grist-mill and about 150 inhabitants (1874).

    It is located at Sec. 4, Twp. 33 N, R. 12 E, on Highway 61 north of KK.

    Name changed from Old Appleton as of July 31, 1917.



Towns and wide places in the road in
Cape Girardeau County Mo

You are the 667 visitor to this site since November 12, 2005


Webmaster MO-AHGP & MOGenWeb site

Don E. Wright

Please Read

This Copyright Page

Webspace Provided by RootsWeb
Webspace Provided by RootsWeb