in 1812 as an Original District;
the county seat is
Cape Girardeau in Cape Girardeau County
- Cape Girardeau was surveyed and laid off into streets and lots, sometime in February or March 1806 by Bartholomew Cousin, under the direction of the proprietor, Louis Lorimer...In 1808 the village of Cape Girardeau began to feel itself of sufficient importance to become an incorporated town and a petition was presented to the court of Common Pleas.
The petition was granted and an election was held on August 13, 1808, at which time Joseph McFarren, Anthony Baden, Robert Blair, Daniel Steinbeck and Isaac M. Bledsoe were elected.
The town continued to prosper and grow until the organization of Cape Girardeau County, when it was dealt a severe blow in the removal of the seat of justice.
In 1818 it was described as a village containing two stores and about fifty houses.
Cape Girardeau was incorporated as a city by a special act of the Legislature in 1843.
(History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 1, p. 483f.)
It covers several sections in Twps. 30 & 31, Ranges 13 & 14 E, at the junction of 74, 55, 34, 61 & V. .
Towns and wide places in the road in
Cape Girardeau County Mo
You are the 1603 visitor to this site since
November 12, 2005