Search billions of records on

Cedar County Historical Society


May, 2012-Cedar County Historical Society Official Minutes



After a very enjoyable program by Jack Roy on the history of Cane Hill’s Pyle-Roy Mixer Company (1929-1935) and its Buttercup Churn and Mixer, Vice President Judy Nichols called the monthly meeting to order on Saturday, May 19, 2012.  Members present were Nichols, Treasurer Kay Snow, Assistant Treasurer Shirley Potts, Luella Phipps, Murle Phipps, Dale Goodman, Barbara Goodman, Bob Phillips, Jack Roy and Secretary Nancy Smith.  Others attending the program and/or the meeting were Nancy Roy, Jim Nail and Jon Nail.


Minutes, Treasurer’s Reports and Building Fund Committee’s Reports were approved as read.  One of our Liberty Bank certificates of deposit is maturing in June.  If it’s a Building Fund certificate, members voted that Snow should look into investing it with Edward Jones similar to our other investments there.


The text for Lyceum Series:  Bear Creek, MO, has been completed; and the Publication Committee is finalizing the photographs to be included.  Having a separate booklet for the Cane Hill community if we had enough content was also discussed.


Phillips will present his program on the Bear Creek community at next month’s meeting.  Claud Hoffman’s program on the trails of Cedar County is on the agenda for the afternoon of Saturday, August 18.  More details will be announced as they become available.


The Preserve Our Past Society (P.O.P.S.) has agreed to allow us to set up our tables and banner on the front porch of the Wayside Inn during the El Dorado Springs Picnic which would also allow us to help monitor their museum visitors. 


Phillips will take custody of the Hartley safe from the Goodmans.  D. Goodman still has the jail bars.


Preserving a copy of the centennial issue of “The El Dorado Springs Sun” for research was again discussed and tabled until we consult a preservation specialist.  Smith then handed out guidelines for our Labor Day weekend garage sale.


L. Phipps updated us on Sac Osage Retired School Employees’ project sorting, labeling, indexing and archivally storing El Dorado Springs’ historical photographs with the assistance of the Missouri State Archives.  Her group’s work should be finished next week.


A work schedule for the upcoming Jerico Springs Picnic on Friday and Saturday, June 8 and 9, was circulated.  L. Phipps, M. Phipps and Nichols will have the museum open on Saturday, June 2.

Smith reported on recent donations to the society by the Stockton Chamber of Commerce (a ribbon commemorating the 4th Annual Black Walnut Festival) and the family of the late Charlie Spencer (a 1947 El Dorado Springs High School yearbook).  The Chamber is also planning on donating a journal compiled by its members in the 1970’s.


Nichols and Potts reported on the loan of two items for display by Ken Potts—a carbide light and an antique radio speaker.  Roy is also loaning us his wooden barrel churn.


Member Bob Estes recently found a photograph labeled “Old Cedar Church—1890” taken by Johnnie Mitchell (unknown date) and wonders if it’s actually the Cedar Church once located in Church Hollow on Cedar Creek.  We will continue with the subsequent email discussion in a future newsletter.


The meeting adjourned.  Our next meeting will be at 10:00 a.m., Saturday, June 16, at 106 West Davis in Stockton.  Anyone interested in Cedar County history and genealogy is welcome to attend and/or join the Society.  Annual dues are $10.00 (Individual), $20.00 (Family), and $75.00 (Life).  Our museum and research area are open to the public on the first Saturday of each month (April through October) from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and by special appointment.  We also perform genealogical and historical research for $10.00 per hour.  Contact us online at, by email at, by mail at P. O. Box 111, Stockton, MO  65785, or by contacting any officer or member.


---Nancy Smith