Nestled in serenity under a canopy of protecting age old elms, oaks, maples and firs is the Gash Cemetery, located on North West Barry Road and North Broadway, Kansas City, Missouri. It is an unassuming current reminder of the hardships, benevolence, courage and fortitude of those who lived before us. Even today it shows us the same qualities as it sits only a car's width away from the rush of everyday traffic. The hustle and roar of Barry Road lends it little attention except to those who look for the less hectic.
How did it come to be on the edge of this very social road? Who are the residents of Gash Cemetery? How does it influence us today?
We stop now, if only for a moment from our busy lives to wonder. We pause, allowing our mind to imagine who and what came before us and how we, too, are before those who will come after. Shall someone ever peacefully give our existence a moments thought?
A garrison road leading from Liberty Landing to Ft. Leavenworth, remained essentially unnamed until 1820 when Barry Post Office was placed nearby along the road, in honor of the newly appointed Wm. F. Barry, Post Master General under Andrew Jackson's first year administration. So then, the road also became known. By 1829 the town of Barry had been established. Land Grants had been awarded and newcomers filtered in. Barry, MO., was a trading area on the edge of Indian Territory. Travelers bound for the West and the Oregon Trail were prevalent. In 1835 a public well was dug to accommodate the influx. By 1836 the Town and surrounding area became a part of the Platte purchase. In that land acquisition Barry became divided down Main Street, half remaining in Clay County, the other in the newly created Platte County, having two sheriffs, one for each side of the street.
JOSEPH GASH 1797-1852
In 1821, Joseph Gash, of Buncombe, NC., was awarded nearby land through the Federal Land Grant Program. It wasn't until 1832, however, that he finally arrived with his wife, Eliza and three daughters, Margaret, Sarah, and Pauline. His family grew to include Thaddius, Theodore, Louisiana and Milas. The eldest son, Thaddius, born in 1834, died at the age of five, thus becoming the first in the Gash family cemetery to be lain to rest. His resting place was just a few yards from the public well along side Barry Road. So even in the beginning the cemetery was in the sight of many passers-by. All Gash family members are buried here with the exception of Theodore and Louisiana.
Known as an energetic business man, he was a prominent public figure and served for many years as the local Justice of the Peace. He and Eliza enjoyed successful financial gain through industry and economy and were substantially influential members in their church and community. Their land holdings included 160 acres divided between town and a country farm known as the "Buncombes".
After his death, Eliza, 1801-1865, continued the family business, including farming and raising her children.
We see remnants of the Gash family influence through Gashland, MO., as the area later became known; Gashland School, Gashland Medical Clinic and Gashland Churches including the Baptist, Presbyterian and United Methodist denominations.
For 126 years the Gash Cemetery had been used for family and relatives consisting of some 39 sites. The last member to be buried here was Lubelle Gash, 1884-1965. It has been closed since its acquisition by the Metro North Mall.
Dan Carpenter, 1825-1920
Migrating as a young man, with his parents, William and Hanna, brothers Amos and William, sisters Emla and Clarinda, they came from Ohio to Clinton County, Missouri. With Amos he opened a mercantile business in Randolph, Missouri. He became dissatisfied with the management of it and moved to Barry and opened his own store in 1847. In 1850 his adventurous spirit lead him to organize an ox train and travel west for five months selling his goods along the way through Salt Lake City, Utah to California. There he searched for gold, fell gravely ill and returned in the Panama Canal and New Orleans. Reopening the business, he settled into become one of the most respected citizens of the community. It was in 1853 that he married Pauline Gash, 1831-1924. Over the years he enjoyed a reputation of fair and honorable dealing. Greatly admired, he frequently officiated, in the absence of a minister, funeral services for friends and neighbors. Generous of heart and religious of soul, he often assured them of the Christ Gospel and the reward of a "glorious resurrection". As a religious gentleman, he was elder in the local Presbyterian Church for 53 years and taught over 150 students in Sunday School during a 57 year tenure.
His activities in the community were varied. Besides the mercantile business, he acted as Postmaster at Barry Post Office for the most of 40 years, under Presidents Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln, Johnson, Grant, Hayes, Garfield, Arthur, and Cleveland. His farming abilities were evident, having one of the largest orchards in the county, located just about where Metro North Mall now sits. General farming was also conducted on his 166 acre parcel.
For 16 years he served as a Notary Public. He was an active Free Mason and was a Worshipful Master for 12 years. Later in life, after selling his business, he became the Depot Master for 8 years at the newly constructed Railroad Station, located where Barry Road and N. Oak Trafficway intersect, on the southwest corner.
Politically, he was generally Democrat and supported in earnest the election of Grover Cleveland. His true political belief was, "The greatest good to the greatest number".
His wife joined in his community benevolence, teaching Sunday school as well as music to young ladies. She was a prominent leader of the interests of society especially the young. With her, their highest aspirations were,
"To serve the present age
Their calling to fulfill.
May it all their powers engage
To do their Master's Will."
Dan Carpenter's family members, including his parents, sisters, niece, nephew and maternal Grandfather, are also in the Gash Cemetery.
Articles written by him in matters of agriculture and politics can now be found on the internet.
William Carpenter, 1790-1873
A native of Virginia, he traveled North with his parents to Ohio. Being a man of vast experience and extensively informed in matters of history, science, mechanics, politics and religion, he originally was a merchant and surveyor by trade. He served only one term as a State County Representative, declining re-election to the "muddy pool of politics". Militarily, he gained rank as colonel of a regiment in the Ohio malitia; was a "Minute Man", and was called to the front in the War of 1812. A man of considerable wealth prior to the Civil War, he lost most of it during that time. At the age of 75, he was admitted to the Bar and practiced law in the Platte County Circuit Court. He was married to Hanna Clark, 1798-1881. Her father, Samuel Clark, 1768-1854, is buried next to the Carpenter monument.
Mills Lee Gash, 1845-1931
The youngest child of Joseph and Elias Gash, he was reared on the family farm, learning all aspects successfully, primarily agriculture and stock raising. He enjoyed the respect and confidence of all who knew him. His reputation was of having a warm heart and a home open to the needy. Along with other family members, including his parents and sister, was a true activist of Christianity.
He amassed a large farm of some 240 acres of well improved land and it was stocked with fine cattle, hogs, sheep and horses. That acreage was situated on the southern edge of Barry Road approximately the frontage of Metro North Mall and East.
In 1876, he married Mary Sparks, 1865-1034, who was known as an excellent lady; a cheerful and happy wife; a kind and faithful mother. She acted as partner to her husband in his endeavor of the advancement of his religious beliefs.
Her parents, sister, two brothers, sister-in-law and nephew are also buried in the cemetery.
William S. Estes
b. March 30, 1805
d. October 12, 1846
Malinda H. Estes, his wife
b. February 13, 1809
d. December 23, 1905
b. May 16, 1773
d. January 2, 1857
Rachel, wife of Joel Estes, daughter of Jeremiah Ward and Anny of Cabell county, West Virginia
b. March 16, 1771
d. December 16, 1841
b. March 22, 1827
d. June 5, 1857
d. August 22, 1862
Diadem. H. Estes, wife of Joel R.
b. May 11, 1837
d. April 22, 1855
Sarah Jackson, daughter of Joel Estes and Rachel Ward
b. December 15, 1794
d. March 20, 1870
Maude L. Trader, daughter of W. S. & R. S.
b. October 27, 1881
d. July 4, 1883