Facts about Daviess County
Source: 1882 History of Daviess County
County formed Dec 29, 1836 from Ray County.
County name of Daviess named after Joseph Hamilton Daviess who gave his life for his country on the bloody field of Tippecanoe
where he was killed in a cavalry charge. He married a sister of Chief Justice Marshall and had he lived, he would have attained
the highest round in the gift of his profession.
1st man who built cabin in county was John Splawn and his son, Mayberry Splawn
This area was known as “Splawn Ridge”, located 3 miles east of Gallatin near what became Millport.
Other communities in 1830:
Salem or Coffeysburg [sometimes called Coffeyville; now known as Coffey]
1st County Seat:
Millport. In Grand River Twp; Named ‘Millport” upon completion of the prosperous Mill. Millport was a very strong community with a
number of businesses. Prospered until 1838 when county seat was moved from Millport to Gallatin. That killed the town when the
businesses and mill moved to Gallatin when county changed county seat.
Grindstone.... house of Wm. Prewett
Clear Creek....house of Jereba Stover
1839 2 new townships added:
Grand River [name changed to Auberry Grove then to Gillilan before changing to present day name of Jamesport.
Honey Creek [south of Gallatin; thus named because of the number of bee trees in the woods along its banks].
1841 Townships.. new ones added:
Hickory [formed from Benton and Grand River Townships]
North [formed from parts of E. Grand River, Big Creek and Benton Townships]
Madison [formed out of North and Sugar Creek Townships
Aug 1848 Townships:
May 1866 Townships:
Salem [formed from part of Benton Township]
Kidder (in Caldwell Co.)
Towns gone by 1870:
Town Gone by 1882: