Holt County Missouri Towns and Villages from 1839….. many forgotten!

Bigelow: Plat filed August ll, 1868

Bluff City: Small community near Curzon, south of Forest City; not platted

Boswell: Across the river from Rulo, NE, was a railroad terminal in 1883. Major Missouri River ferry  crossing, after Rulo Bridge built became extinct. 

Corning: Plat filed March 24, 1879; town laid out in 1868.

Craig: Plat filed January 14, 1869 

Curzon: Located between Forest City and Forbes; town not filed. Often referred to as “Curzon Switch” because of its function along the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad line

Dallas: Forbes Township; started 1843, filed April 15, 1856. Located on the Missouri River at the mouth of the Nodaway River

Dehornville: Mentioned in the Mound City News, October 23, 1891, “new town, 2 miles north of Maitland,………lots are for sale”

Finley: Platted June 184l, later October 1841, became the town of Oregon

Forbes: Platted April 3, 1869

Forest City: First filed May 16, 1857; later additions filed until 1868. The town was incorporated in 1861

Fortescue:  Plat filed August 8, 1890

Grant: Filed 1861; later became New Point

Helwig: January 7, 1896; Post office in Richville community

Hemme’s Landing: 1844, on the east bank of the Missouri River, 2 miles west of the site of Corning; a major trading point between St. Joseph MO  and Council Bluffs IA

Jackson Point: Founded in 1840; later absorbed in the town of Mound City

Jeffery’s Landing-Iowa Point MO-Banks Landing: A stone building still marks this historic site located south of Oregon along the early day trail leading to the Missouri River crossing

Lewiston: July 14, 1854, was located on the Missouri River a few miles north of West Union 

Lewisville: March 1860 in Lincoln Township; town was laid out but nothing came of the project 

Maitland: May 12, 1880 plat filed

Marietta:  March 15, 1854, River landing in Lincoln Township near Lewisville

Mound City: Original town filed May 23, 1857; additions platted later. Town incorporated 1873

Napier:  March 20, 1889

New Point: Town began in 1869. Called Grant earlier, the name of the town and post office was changed to New Point

North Point: Plat filed October 31, 1856. Then changed to Mound City in 1857

Oregon: Plat filed October 21, 1841; the oldest town in Holt County now in existence

Petersburg:  1867, later became Bigelow

Richville: December 18, 1855; located at the site of the Nodaway River crossing into Holt County

Rush Bottom:  Southwest of Craig, some miles below Marietta; a post office and river landing

Tarkio:  Located 1 and ¾ miles northwest of the present site of Craig; also known as Big Spring, was at the foot of the bluff. Had post office and general store

Thorpe’s Mill: Near the site of Oregon, established 1839, was first Holt County Post Office site before the beginning of the County

West Union: January 15, 1854, laid out between Dallas and the mouth of the Nodaway River

Whig Valley: Began in 1846 ; later known as White’s Ford from a crossing on the Nodaway River. Platted January l, 1877; absorbed into Maitland by 1880

 

*Information gathered for a Holt County Historical Society Program, November 1997, from newspaper clippings, history books, and memories of local historians by Elizabeth Burnsides


This Web Site has had   visitors!

to submit ideas for this web site and or information about Holt County Missouri please email
Elizabeth Burnsides

Home | About| Officers | Calendar | Map | Hours | Contact

Membership | Publications | Donate | More Links

Copyright © HCHS 2005. All Rights Reserved