ADAIR, Henry Clay
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 292
Clay Adair, the well known postmaster of Clinton, Missouri, is a descendant of pioneer Missouri families on both the maternal and paternal sides. Mr. Adair was born in Fayette County, Texas, August 24, 1869, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair, both natives of Missouri, born at Independence. Joseph Adair was the first male white child born in Independence. He grew to manhood in Jackson County, and when gold was discovered in California in 1849 he made the trip via the overland route with Upton Hayes. After remaining on the coast for two years he returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1851. In 1855 he went to Texas, where he was residing when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the Confederate army and after serving two years was discharged. His service was under General Myers. He died in 1904 and his wife died March 13, 1901, and their remains are interred in the Englewood Cemetery in Clinton. Margaret (Payne) Adair was a daughter of A. J. Payne, a pioneer of Independence, Missouri. He died in that locality and later his family started for California and the mother died on the way. To Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair were born the following children, Thomas, deceased; John, deceased; Mrs. Mary Wellborn, Chickasha, Oklahoma; A. J. Adair, deceased; Joseph D., deceased; Isaac, resides in Clinton, Missouri; Clay, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Maggie Chapman, deceased; Mrs. Frank Taylor, El Reno, Oklahoma, and Mrs. Ray Wade, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Clay Adair was reared in Texas and educated in the district schools and Ad Ran College at Thorpe Springs, Texas. In early life he was engaged in the cattle business in western Texas, where he remained until 1888. The family then returned to Henry County, Missouri, and settled on a farm near Calhoun. Here Mr. Adair was engaged in general farming and stock raising until 1896, when he came to Clinton and engaged in the livery business. Two years later he was appointed deputy recorder of deeds for the county and at the death of William Duncan, Mr. Adair was appointed to serve the unexpired term by Governor Dockerty. In 1904 Mr. Adair was elected county treasurer of Henry County, and served one term of two years. He then accepted a position to serve as farm loan examiner for the Prudential Insurance Company, and on March 19, 1914, he was appointed postmaster of Clinton, Missouri, by President Wilson, and re-appointed to that office at the expiration of his first term in 1918. November 22, 1892, Mr. Adair was united in marriage with Miss Ollie M. Gutridge of Calhoun, Missouri. She is a daughter of John W. and Elizabeth (Pigg) Gutridge, one of the very early pioneer families of Henry County. A more complete history of the Gutridge family is given elsewhere in this volume. To Mr. and Mrs. Adair have been born three children: Eugene D., now serving as deputy circuit clerk of Henry County; Louise N., married T. L. Francisco, Clinton, Missouri, and Mary Margaret, who resides at home with her parents. Mr. Adair is one of Henry County's foremost citizens and a capable and efficient public official. He has ever been true to any public trust delegated to him. He is public spirited and takes a keen interest in all matters pertaining to the betterment and upbuilding of the county and its institutions.
ADAIR, Isaac "Ike"
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 829
Isaac Adair of Clinton, Missouri, has been identified with Henry County all his life and is a member of a pioneer family of western Missouri. He was born at Gonzales County, Texas, in 1866, a son of Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair. Joseph Adair, the father, was a native of Missouri and the first male child born at Westport, which is now a part of Kansas City, Missouri. He saw much of pioneer life on the plains in the early days. In 1849 he joined the great host of gold seekers in the rush to the Pacific coast, making the trip overland to California with ox teams. He died at Kansas City, Missouri, in 1908, and his wife died in 1904, and their remains are interred in Englewood Cemetery. To Joseph and Margaret (Payne) Adair were born the following children: Thomas, deceased; John R., deceased; Abner, deceased; Joseph, deceased; William, deceased; Isaac, the subject of this sketch, and Clay, postmaster of Clinton, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. Isaac Adair received his education in Texas, attending Adrand College, Hood County, Texas. The Adair family moved to western Texas and for ten or twelve years the father was engaged in the cattle business in that section of the country, which at that time was considered in the heart of the wild and unsettled west. When they resided there Geronimo's band of Indians caused considerable trouble, and two of the cowboys on the Adair ranch, Dick Mays and Mont Dry, were killed by the Indians. About twenty-five years ago Isaac Adair returned to Henry County and since that time has been interested in the livery business. He was elected sheriff in 1900, serving until 1905. Mr. Adair was united in marriage in 1888 to Miss Alice Sue Bowman, a daughter of Dr. A. R. and Maria (Riley) Bowman, pioneer settlers of Henry County, both of whom are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Adair have been born the following children: Earl Howard, a rural mail carrier, Clinton, Missouri; John, assistant postmaster at Clinton, Missouri, and he has recently been appointed a member of the post office examining board. Mr. Adair is one of the substantial business men of Clinton and the Adair family is well known and highly respected.
ADAIR, James Walter
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 791
James W. Adair, a leading farmer and stockman of Shawnee township, belongs to a family of Henry County pioneers. He was born on the farm where he now resides in Shawnee township, April 17, 1875. He is a son of Isaac and Nancy (Slayton) Adair. Isaac Adair was born in Henry County and spent his life here. He died in 1878 at the age of thirty-three years, and his wife departed this life in 1882, and their remains rest in the Carrsville Cemetery. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Dora B. Mashburn, who resides at Grant's Pass, Oregon; Mrs. Maude Ross, who is now deceased, and James W., the subject of this sketch. James W. Adair was reared in Henry County and educated in the public schools. He began life as a farmer, which has been his occupation to the present time. He is a successful stockman and raises cattle, hogs and mules extensively. He owns two hundred eight acres of land in Shawnee township, not far from the Johnson County line. This is a valuable farm and was formerly known as the James Slayton farm. James Slayton settled here about 1839, further mention of whom is made in the sketch of W. T. Slayton. Mr. Adair's residence is a commodious eight room structure and is built on a natural elevation, which gives the place an imposing appearance and offers a splendid view to the surrounding country from the residence. It is one of the attractive places of the county. January 3, 1905, James W. Adair was united in marriage with Miss Minnie Waugh, daughter of John and Julia Ann (Hamilton) Waugh of Big Creek township, both of whom are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Adair have been born four children, as follow: James, Jr., Julia Everett, Joseph Arthur and Martha Elizabeth, all residing at home. Mr. Adair is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Clinton, Missouri. He is one of the public spirited and enterprising men of the community and one of Henry County's leading citizens.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 660
William Adair, section 14, is among the prominent farmers and stock raisers in this county. He is a son of Abner J. and Mary (Adkins) Adair, natives of Kentucky. William was the third in a family of eleven children, and was born in Fleming County, Kentucky, January 26, 1831. While he was a child his parents removed to Missouri and settled in Jackson County, where he grew to manhood on a farm. In 1849 he went to California, and was engaged in mining and stock raising until 1851, when he returned to Missouri. After remaining a short time he took a trip to New Mexico, but a few months later located again in Jackson County where he followed farming until 1854, then he came to Henry County. His farm is one of the best improved in the county, and contains 870 acres, surrounded and sub-divided with good fences. His fine residence was built in 1877, at a cost of $3,000. Mr. Adair is one of the leading stock men of the state, and owns a fine herd of Short Horns, and feeds a large number of the best cattle shipped from this market. He is also interested in two large stock ranches in the state of Texas. He belongs to the Baptist Church, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. March 17, 1853, he married Miss Dorcas A. Fuqua, a native of Kentucky, born June 20 1831. They have four children living, Susa Ann, Emma, Henry Clay and Canarisa. They have lost six: Martha E., Francis M., Laura, Johnnie and two infants.
ADAMSON, William W. "Dode"
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 605
W. W. Adamson, farmer and stock dealer, section 10, is a native of Vernon County, Missouri, and was born October 18, 1847. His father, William Adamson, was a Kentuckian by birth, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Frances Arbuckle, but she was raised in Missouri. The former came to the state in an early day, and settled in Vernon County, of which he was one of the pioneers. He died there in 1849. W. W. Adamson moved to Henry County with his mother in 1850, and here grew to manhood on a farm, attending in youth the public schools. He was married in October, 1869, to Miss Eliza Finks, of Henry County, and a daughter of Captain Mark Finks. After this Mr. A. located on a farm north of Clinton, where he farmed for three years. In 1873, he settled near Montrose, and in the spring of 1879, bought and came upon his present farm. He has 600 acres of land, all fenced, the homestead of 280 acres, being about two and a half miles northwest of Montrose. There is a large two-story stone residence on the place, and a good orchard of 300 bearing apple and some peach trees. He is one of the largest feeders and stock dealers in this county, and feeds annually from 150 to 500 head of steers and about 500 hogs, and also handles about 500 cattle and 1,000 hogs per annum. Mr. Adamson is a wide-awake business man, and one of the most successful farmers and stock dealers in the vicinity. He and his wife have a family of seven children: Alma, Katie, Tandy T., John M., Emma, Dadie and Eliza.
ADKINS, Charles Malcolm
Bear Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 407
Charles Malcolm Adkins. The Adkins family is one of the oldest of the prominent families of Henry County and dates back to the early forties when the grandfather of Charles M. Adkins came from Warren County, Missouri, to Henry County and settled upon a large tract of land located south of Clinton. C. M. Adkins was born on a farm six miles southwest of Clinton, in 1872, and is the son of Henry G. (born 1828, died 1875) and Zilpha Jane (Collins) Adkins. Henry G. Adkins was born in Virginia and was a son of John Ward Adkins, who was a pioneer in Warren County, Missouri, and came to Henry County in the early forties and made a permanent settlement south of Clinton. The mother of C. M. Adkins was born in 1828 in Tennessee, and was a daughter of Louis Collins. She died in October, 1903, in Clinton. There were five sons and five daughters. born to Henry G. and Zilpha Jane Adkins, as follows: Missouri Ann, deceased wife of Joseph A. Harness, Kansas City, Missouri, died in May, 1918; John T., Clinton township; Louisa J., wife of Robert B. Casey, both of whom are deceased; Henrietta J., wife of Isaac J. Hinkle, both of whom are deceased, the former of whom died at her home in Montrose, April 11, 1918; Mary Elizabeth, wife of Granville Taylor, deceased; William H., Greeley, Colorado; James J., deceased; Mrs. Zilpha H., deceased wife of Frank White; Charles H., deceased; Charles Malcom, subject of this sketch. Henry G. Adkins achieved a remarkable success as an extensive farmer and stockman. He became owner of 2,400 acres of farm lands in Henry County and gave to each of his children, a tract of 240 acres. He came to Henry County without any capital whatever, and entered land. He was very prominent in affairs of Henry County during the early days and was widely known throughout the county. He farmed his land on an extensive scale and was a large feeder of live stock. Mr. Adkins was a charter member of the Clinton Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. C. M. Adkins attended the district schools and the Clinton schools and pursued a higher course at Lamkin's Academy. After completing his schooling he located on his grandfather's old place in Clinton town-ship and farmed this 240-acre tract until his removal to Clinton, where he resided for ten years, coming to his present farm in Bear Creek township in 1914. Mr. Adkins was married in 1892 to Miss Ida B. Erhart, a daughter of Nick Erhart, a biography of whom appears in this volume in connection with the sketch of John Layman. Mrs. Ida B. Adkins was educated in the district school and Baird College, and studied music and art. She is an accomplished musician and an artist of ability who has produced many paintings of merit. Mr. and Mrs. Adkins have three children: Monna Lucille, born 1893, wife of D. S. Duden, Jr., Clinton, Missouri; Mildred Viola, born January 1, 1895, wife of Charles L. Grimes, Clinton, Missouri, has two sons, Charles Louis, and James Adkins; Henry Merritt, the youngest son, was born September 20, 1897. Mr. Adkins has long been prominent in the affairs of the Democratic party and he served four years as deputy sheriff under Sheriff Hall while a resident of Clinton. He cast his first vote for Grover Cleveland for the presidency and has consistently voted for the Democratic candidates ever since. He and Mrs. Adkins are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
ADKINS, John Edward
Bear Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 456
J. E. Adkins, proprietor of "Violet Vale Farm" in Bear Creek township, Henry County, is making a success as a breeder of Leghorn poultry. The principal output of this farm is eggs and poultry and Mr. Adkins keeps only the purest bred Leghorns. At this writing (April, 1918) Mr. Adkins has a flock of 425 hens, the average egg production of which will exceed twenty-one dozen daily, an output which brings in a substantial income each year. The Adkins farm consists of sixty acres and is well improved with a pretty residence, good buildings and fencing. Mr. Adkins is also engaged in the breeding of Holstein cattle, a department of animal husbandry in which he has just begun. J. E. Adkins was born June 11, 1880, on a farm in Clinton township, northeast of La Due, and is the son of H. Burt and Nannie (West) Adkins, natives of Missouri and Kentucky, respectively. H. B. Adkins, who now lives retired at La Due, Missouri, was born October 8, 1860, in Davis township, Henry County, and is the son of John D. and Eliza (Hutchinson) Adkins. John D. Adkins was the son of John Adkins, a pioneer settler of Henry County. John D. and Eliza Adkins were parents of seven children of whom three are living: Tilden, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Alice May Laver, Joplin, Missouri; and H. B. Adkins. After the death of John D. Adkins in 1878, his widow married Thomas Botkins, and bore him a daughter, Mrs. Kate Stevens, living near La Due. When he became of age, H. B. Adkins began doing for himself and purchased his first farm in 1883. He is owner of 230 acres of land in Clinton township which he cultivated until his retirement in 1912. H. B. Adkins was married in 1880 to Miss Anna West, who was born in Kentucky, in February, 1862, the daughter of Felix and Letitia West, who located in Henry County in 1868. To H. B. and Anna Adkins have been born five children: J. Edward, of this review; Mrs. Nettie May Cromer, Fairview township; Archie Lee, died in infancy; Fred, a farmer in Clinton township; Mrs. Pansy May Wilson, on the home place in Clinton township. J. E. Adkins received his education at Independence district school and began farming on his own account in 1900. For seven years he operated rented land successfully, and then purchased his present home place of sixty acres. He was married in 1900 to Miss Iva Selby, a daughter of Thomas Selby. Six children have been born of this marriage, three oF whom are living: Thora, Vera Glendella and Vernon Glendon (twins), two died in infancy; Retha died at the age of six years. Mr. Adkins is a Democrat in politics and is a member of the local school board and the County Council of Defense. He and Mrs. Adkins are members of the Baptist Church. He is fraternally connected with the Woodmen of the World, La Due, Missouri.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 668
B. Adler, an extensive produce dealer of Clinton, Missouri, has been identified with the business interests of Clinton and Henry County for a number of years. Mr. Adler is a native of Germany, born in 1855, a son of Samuel and Regina Adler, both of whom are now deceased. Mr. Adler came to America in 1872 and first located at Charleston, South Carolina. Eight years later he went to Jacksonport, Arkansas. He remained there until 1881, when he came to Clinton, Missouri. He obtained employment here with a Mr. Hirst, who was engaged in the produce business, and a year later engaged in the huckstering business for himself, dealing in eggs, produce and hides. He was an absolute stranger to Clinton when he came here and really it was not his original intention to remain here when he stopped. He intended going to Iowa. Mr. Adler opened his first produce store in Clinton on the northwest corner of the public square and since that time has done business at different locations here and has been at his present location, 126 North Main street, about twelve years. He owns this building, besides considerable other business and residence property in Clinton. He is probably the most extensive produce dealer in Clinton, and also deals in rubber, metal and other kindred products. Mr. Adler was married December 15, 1884, with Miss Julia Kohner of Meridian, Mississippi, a daughter of Doctor Kohner. To Mr. and Mrs. Adler have been born two children: W. S., a member of the firm of B. Adler & Company, and Regina, a teacher in the public schools of Clinton. Mr. Adler is a liberal, enterprising citizen and has the best interests of his city and county at heart. He is a liberal contributor to all patriotic causes and a staunch supporter of every movement for the up-building of Clinton and Henry County. He is one of the substantial citizens of this County.
ALEXANDER, Wiley H.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 386
Wiley H. Alexander. The Alexander farm in Davis township is one of the finest tracts of productive land in this section of Missouri. The tract, which consists of 180 acres, is one mile and one-eighth in length and one-fourth of a mile wide and has been the home of the Alexanders since 1896. All of the improvements were placed on the land by the present owner. The residence, a pretty white cottage, is located on one of the highest spots in Henry County and from this place one can see in every direction for many miles. Five towns can be seen from the Alexander residence, Clinton, eight miles away; Montrose and Deepwater, twelve miles distant; Urich, twelve miles to the northwest, and Hartwell, while La Due, four miles to the southeast, can be plainly seen. This farm is well improved and Mr. and Mrs. Alexander are continuously adding to the attractiveness of the place. Mr. Alexander is engaged in general farming and stock raising and has fifteen horses and mules on the place, including seven brood mares. Wiley H. Alexander was born December 19, 1859, in Kentucky, the son of John B. (born 1819, died 1887) and Julia (Rowland) Alexander (born 1826, died 1871), to whom were born children as follows: R. C., living in California; L. G., deceased; John F., California ; Mrs. Nannie S. McMurdray, Kentucky; and Wiley H., subject of this review. John B. Alexander was the son of Philip Alexander, who left Kentucky en route to Missouri in 1831 and was killed by Indians while crossing southern Illinois. His widow later made her home in Illinois, but the parents of Wiley Alexander lived all of their lives in Cumberland County, Kentucky. Wiley H. Alexander resided in his native State until 1882, when he came to Missouri, and after a residence of six mouths in Sedalia he located in Henry County on a farm situated about four miles from his present home place. He rented land for a time and then bought his farm which he improved and sold when he purchased his present place in 1896. On May 12, 1892, there occurred the marriage of Wiley H. Alexander and Miss Lillie Gragg and to this union were born children as follow: Naomi Elizabeth, a graduate of the Warrensburg Normal School and who is now teaching the Carterville High School; Mary May, who studied at the Warrensburg Normal and Oklahoma City High School and is a teacher in the Deepwater schools; Herbert Henry, who spent two years in the Clinton High School and became a student in the Quincy, Illinois, Business College, where he contracted a fatal sickness, dying on February 28, 1917, at the age of twenty years; Nina, graduated from Clinton High School, class of 1918; Ralph Lee, a student in the Clinton High School; Margaret Maurine, attending the district school. By a former marriage in 1884 with Jennie Gilmer, Mr. Alexander has two children: Mrs. Julia Gates, a former teacher of Henry County, and Georgia, principal of one of the ward schools at Carthage, Missouri, and a graduate of the Warrensburg Normal School. Mrs. Jennie (Gilmer) Alexander died in 1889. Mrs. Lillie Alexander taught school for nine years, beginning at the age of eighteen years. She studied for one year in the Pilot Grove Collegiate Institute and graduated from this institute in 1889. Mrs. Lillie (Gragg) Alexander was born in Henry County, January 27, 1865, and is the daughter of Henry H. (born 1820, died 1893) and Elizabeth (Sevier) Gragg (born 1835, died 1912), natives of Missouri and Tennessee, respectively. Elizabeth (Sevier) Gragg was a daughter of Abraham Sevier, a descendant of the famous Sevier family of Tennessee, who were of French descent and included Governor Sevier. Abraham Sevier came to Henry County and settled on Camp Branch as early as 1851. Henry H. Gragg was a son of Malcolm Gragg, a pioneer settler of Howard County, Missouri, who entered Government land in that county nearly a century ago. During the early forties, three sons of Malcolm Gragg came to Henry County and entered land in this county. Their parents also located in this county. Henry H. Gragg was twice married, being the father of seven children by his first marriage. He was married to Elizabeth Sevier in 1864 and this marriage was blessed with four children: Mrs. Lillie Alexander; George W., Rockville, Missouri; Mrs. C. O. Swift, Springfield, Illinois; Amos E., Hutchinson, Kansas. Prior to coming to Missouri, the Graggs resided in Illinois. The Democratic party has always had the allegiance of Mr. Alexander. Both he and Mrs. Alexander are members of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church. He is fraternally affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America Lodges at Clinton, Missouri.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 491
Peter Alfton of the firm of Alfton & Moser, extensive carriage manufacturers, was born February 8, 1852, in Moniteau County, Missouri, and was reared in his native county until fifteen years of age. Then he went to California, Missouri, and was engaged in working at the wheelwright trade, with Hanin & Martin for four years. In 1881, he came to Clinton, Missouri, and was in the employ of Oechsli & Kilmer, till 1877, when, with Mr. Majors as partner, he embarked in carriage manufacturing. In November, 1880, he withdrew from this firm and established his present business, which he managed alone till January, 1882, when Mr. Moser became associated with him. They are doing a large business, and keep a repository well filled with work of their own manufacture. They also have a large custom trade on repair work. Mr. A. was married May 18, 1873, to Miss Emma L. Major, a native of Ohio. They have two children: Bertie and Glenn. He is a member of both the I. O. O. F. and A. O. U. W. fraternities.
ALLEN, Albert M.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 675
Albert M. Allen, section 17, is among the prominent young farmers and stock raisers of Henry County. He was born December 27, 1853, in Cumberland County, Kentucky, his father being L. C. Allen, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this work. In 1858 Albert came to Linn County, Missouri, with his parents, where they remained until 1866, then removing to Henry County. Here he was reared to manhood on his father's farm, receiving his education in the common schools of the county. When 22 years old he engaged in farming and stock raising. His farm now contains eighty acres, all in cultivation and well improved, upon which is a good young orchard. Mr. A. is a large cattle feeder and shipper. February 8, 1877, he married Miss Nannie White, a daughter of Joseph White. They have one child living, Ernest M., born December, 1881. They have lost one son, Elmer P. Mr. Allen is connected with the Cumberland. Presbyterian Church.
ALLEN, Albert M.
Fields Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 775
Albert M. Allen, a prosperous farmer and stockman of Fields Creek township, is a native of Kentucky. He was born in Cumberland County December 27, 1853, a son of Lewis and Elizabeth F. (Pace) Allen, both natives of Kentucky, who came to Missouri in 1858 and settled in Lynn County. In 1867 the Allen family removed to Henry County and settled in Fields Creek township on a farm which is now owned by Albert M. Allen, the subject of this sketch. The father later went to Oklahoma and in 1912, after a residence there of about twenty years, died at Norman. His wife also died at Norman, Oklahoma, in 1904. They were the parents of two children, Albert M., the subject of this sketch, and James M., a banker at Humansville. Albert M. Allen got his start in life from his father, who gave him forty acres of land. Mr. Allen has been engaged in farming and stock business for himself since reaching his majority and is one of the successful and prosperous men of Henry County. He has added acreage to his holdings from time to time until he now owns over five hundred twenty-five acres of some of the best land to be found in Henry County. It is all well improved and Mr. Allen is recognized as one of the successful stock raisers of the county. He usually has on hand about one hundred head of cattle and from one hundred fifty to two hundred head of hogs. February 8, 1877, Albert M. Allen was united in marriage with Miss Nannie E. White, a native of Pike County, Illinois, and a daughter of Joseph and Lavina (Mitchell) White, the former born in Indiana in 1834 and the latter a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1835. Mrs. Lavina (Mitchell) White died March 30, 1917, and her remains are interred in the Fields Creek Cemetery. Joseph White now resides in Honey Creek township with his son, Joseph Lee. The White family came to Henry County in 1869 and settled in Fields Creek township and the place upon which they then settled is now owned by members of the family. Joseph and Lavina (Mitchell) White were the parents of the following children: Nannie, who married Albert M. Allen, the subject of this sketch; John R., lives at Rock Island, Texas; Oliver P., Joliet, Illinois, and Joseph L., a successful farmer and stockman of Honey Creek township, married Anna Ford, a native of Honey Creek township, and they have a son, Joseph G., who is now a soldier in the United States Army in France, a member of the 129th Machine Gun Battalion, and their other children are: Emily M., Ernest F., Frances N., Ruby L., Robert B., Ethel Glare, Anna Evelyn, Lindsay and Nannie May, who died in infancy. To Albert M. Allen and wife have been born two children: Elmer P., who died when six months old, and Ernest M., a farmer and stockman of Henry County. Mr. Allen is one of the substantial citizens of Henry County and takes a keen interest in local public affairs. He has served as treasurer of Fields Creek township for six years, and is one of its leading citizens. Mr. and Mrs. Allen are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
ALLEN, Henry C.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
Henry county numbers Henry C. Allen among her native sons and he is known there as a prominent representative of industrial activities and a leading factor in political circles. He was born April 18, 1848, a son of Robert and Matilda (Barnard) Allen. The former was born in 1808 and the latter on the 8th of March, 1813. In early life Robert Allen followed the occupation of farming in Tennessee, but in 1832 became one of the pioneer residents of Missouri, settling in Howard County. The following year he cast in his lot with the early settlers of Henry County, became a landowner and engaged in farming. He went to Boonville for his mail and to Lexington to pay his taxes, for all this section of the state was then but sparsely settled and the work of improvement and civilization seemed scarcely begun. He was chosen the first sheriff of Henry County, which was then a part of Rives County and the duty devolved upon him of hanging the first man ever executed in the county. After his removal to Henry County he took up the study of law and was admitted to the bar. He then opened an office and engaged in practice in Clinton, at the same time continuing the cultivation of his farm until about 1866, when he sold the old home place in order to concentrate his energies exclusively upon his law practice. He won a creditable position at the Henry County bar and continued in active connection with the profession until a few years prior to his death. He was a member of the firm of R. Allen & Company and after ward of the firm of Parks, Thornton & Allen. He always prepared his cases with thoroughness, was clear and sound in his reasoning and logical in his deductions. During the latter part of the war he organized a military company for the protection of the settlers from the bushwhackers and acted as its captain. For two terms prior to the war he was representative of his district in the state legislature and left the impress of his individuality upon the laws enacted during that period. He died in the year 1875, while his wife passed away in 1879. Henry C. Allen was the youngest of their seven children and is the only one now living. He was a student in the public schools of Henry County and afterward continued his education at Notre Dame University in Indiana. He returned from that school in 1869 and purchased an interest in a drug store in Clinton, continuing in that business until 1874, when he sold out and returned to the farm. He then devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits until elected county surveyor in 1880, which position he acceptably filled for two terms. From 1888 until 1908 he engaged in bridge contract work, building bridges and highways. He was then once more elected county surveyor and has since been the incumbent in that office, the duties of which he has discharged with promptness, capability and fidelity. He is also both county and city engineer and his official service makes full demand upon his time and attention. He belong to the State Association of Highway Engineers and is deeply interested in the good roads movement now sweeping over the country. On the 5th of September, 1872, Mr. Allen was united in marriage to Miss Mamie Shrewbury, who was born in West Virginia, and is a daughter of Samuel and Priscilla J. (Warth) Shrewbury, both of whom were natives of Virginia and come to Missouri in 1856, settling on a farm in Henry County, the father devoting his entire life to general agricultural pursuits. He joined the Confederate army during the civil War, being a secret service man, and he died ere the close of hostilities. His widow died in February, 1914. Mrs. Allen and her twin sister were the eldest in the Shrewbury family of five children. By her marriage she became the mother of five children: Lucy, who since 1901 has been bookkeeper in the Citizens Bank; Robert, a painter, residing in Clinton; Clifford, a veterinary surgeon, located in Marlin, Texas; Mary, the wife of Sake Grinstead, deputy circuit clerk of Henry County; and Katherine, who is attending high school. The family have been reared in the faith of the Roman Catholic church, to which Mr. Allen belongs, in politics he has always been a Democrat, giving stalwart support to this party and its principles. He is well known in the county and has a circle of friends almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.
ALLEN, Lewis C.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 675
Lewis C. Allen, farmer and stock raiser, section 8, was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, March 18, 1831, being a son of George and Parmelia (Crissman) Allen. The former a farmer by occupation and a native of Virginia, was born April 23, 1787, and when a mere boy accompanied his parents to Kentucky where he was reared, educated and married. His death occurred January 31, 1858. Mrs. Allen came originally from Cumberland County, Kentucky, where she was born March 14, 1798. She died September 4, 1835, leaving a family of eight children: Mary, Norman, Martha, Albert, Alfred, Robert, Lewis C. and James C. George Allen was married the second time to Hettie Hillis, and to them were born four children. Lewis C. was brought up as a farmer boy in his native county, and was also educated there, first starting out in life for himself as an agriculturist. In 1858 he removed to Missouri, settling in Linn County, where he improved a farm, and in the fall of 1866 came to Henry County. He now owns 190 acres of well watered and improved land, the result of his own industry and good management. Mr. Allen was married March 17, 1853, to Miss Fannie Pace, of Lewis County, Missouri, born March 13, 1831. Her parents were Thomas and Dosia Pace nee Williams, both Virginians by birth. Her father was born December 5, 1801, and her mother, October 15, 1803, and after being married they settled in Cumberland County, Kentucky, moving thence to Lewis County, Missouri, in 1830. In 1841 they returned to Kentucky. Mrs. Pace died May 3, 1841, and left seven children: William, Sarah, Joseph, Fannie, Edward, John and Henry. Mr. P. is still living in Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Allen have two sons living: Albert M., born December 27, 1853, and James M., born November 5, 1859, and one Elmer, deceased. Albert was married February 8, 1877, to Miss Nannie White, a native of Pike County, Illinois. They have one child, Ernest. Mr. and Mrs. A. are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
ALLEN, Robert Logan Dr.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 697
Photos: Dr. Robert Logan Allen Robert Bell Allen III
Dr. Robert L. Allen, veterinarian and farmer, Tebo township, Henry County, was born on the farm where he now resides June 28, 1882, and is the son of Robert W. Allen, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Robert L. Allen was educated in district school number nine and the Windsor High School, from which he graduated in 1900. In 1902 he entered the Kansas City Veterinary College and graduated therefrom in 1905. He began the active practice of his profession in 1905 and for a year he was engaged in the service of the Government, being stationed at South Omaha, Nebraska. In 1906 he located at Columbia, Missouri, and practiced his profession in the State veterinarian's department for two years, all of which broad experience tended to develop his powers and render him more proficient in the practice of his profession and to broaden his knowledge of the diseases of animals. In 1907 he located in Windsor and soon built up a lucrative practice. In 1909 he settled upon the Allen home place in section 12 of Tebo township. Doctor Allen is a well known breeder of Hereford cattle and is farming 400 acres of land, being owner of 120 acres in Tebo township. He is continuing his successful practice which he carries on with his farming operations. On April 4, 1909, Doctor Allen was married to Miss Myrtle Bell, who was born in Pettis County, Missouri, the daughter of John H. and Mary H. (McDaniel) Bell, the former of whom was a native of Illinois and the latter of Missouri, and are now living on a farm in Pettis County. Mr. and Mrs. Allen have one child, Robert Bell Allen, born August 21, 1910. Mrs. Myrtle Allen is a graduate of the Windsor High School and taught school for a number of years in Windsor and Weatherford, Oklahoma, and Clinton, Missouri, the greater part of her teaching experience having been in graded schools. Doctor Allen is a member of the Missouri State Veterinarian Association and the Missouri Valley Veterinarian Association. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
ALLEN, Robert W
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 626
Robert W. Allen was born September 3, 1850, in Tebo Township, Henry County, Missouri, and was the son of George Jones Allen, who was born April 5, 1809, in East Tennessee. His mother, formerly Miss Esther M. Mitchell and a daughter of William and Nancy Mitchell, was born May 17, 1815, in Brownsborough, Washington County, East Tennessee. They were married April 17, 1833, and by this union had four sons and four daughters, of whom there are still living four daughters and three sons. They emigrated from their native state to Boone County in 1834, where Mr. Allen was engaged in farming for one year. In the following year he removed to Tebo, then in Rives County, and entered a tract of 350 acres, where he commenced to make improvements, there remaining until his death on March 5, 1850. Mrs. A. survived him only three years, dying February 13, 1853. The homestead remained as an inheritance to their children, an estate of 350 acres of land and under a good state of cultivation, of which R. W. Allen owns 190 acres. Of the children now living the eldest is a daughter, Ann E., who was born February 2, 1836, in Rives County, and has for many years been one of the leading educators of her native county; William M. born December 10, 1838, who married Miss Julia M., daughter of Aurelius B. and Eliza Harris, of Henry County; James F. and Isabella J., twin brother and sister, were born September 17, 1841; the brother died May 8, 1863, while in the Confederate service, and Isabella is now a resident of this county; George J., born January 19, 1844, married Miss Bettie J. Fisher, daughter of Jacob and Jane E. Fisher, of Howard County, April 22, 1874; Emma E., born November 1, 1847, married Joseph W. Huston, of this county, November 2, 1871; Robert W., born September 3, 1850, married Miss Sallie Sutherland, daughter of Judge W. L. and Margaret J. Sutherland, October 9, 1879, and they have two children: Clara B., born September 1, 1880, and Robert Logan, born June 28, 1882. Robert Allen has been a constant resident of the county since his birth. For two years he attended Lenox College, in Iowa, under the tutorship of Samuel Hodge, D. D. Though not having commenced life for himself until at the age of twenty, he has been successful thus far, and now has a fine residence, a good orchard, etc. He received at first from the homestead only thirty acres, but purchased twenty acres subsequently, in 1879, and in 1881, 140 acres more, all of the original 350 entered by his father in 1835. Four members of this family are connected with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Allen's political sentiments are Democratic.
ALLEN, Robert W.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 696
Photos: Robert Allen Sallie Allen Clara Allen Byrns Margaret Byrns
Robert W. Allen - Upon the old Allen homestead in Tebo township in Henry County there have been born and reared three generations of the Allen family, since the land was first entered in 1835 by George J. Allen, father of Robert W. Allen, the subject of this review. Robert W. Allen was born on this farm September 2, 1850, and is the son of George J. and Esther (Mitchell) Allen, who were parents of eight children: Mrs. Susan M. Hodges, deceased; William M. and Ann E., deceased; Belle J., Windsor, Missouri; James, deceased, twin brother of Belle J., died in the Confederate Army during the Civil War; George J., living in Montana; Emma, widow of J. W. Huston, Windsor; Robert W., youngest of the family. George J. Allen was born in Washington County, east Tennessee, April 5, 1809, and died in Henry County March 5, 1850. In 1835 he came to Henry County from Tennessee and settled in Tebo township, where he improved a splendid property and which later passed to his son, Robert W. Allen, and is now being tilled by Robert L. Allen, son of Robert W. Mrs. Esther (Mitchell) Allen was born in Tennessee May 17, 1815, and died February 13, 1853. After the death of their parents the eight Allen children all remained on the farm, the oldest children taking the responsibility of the rearing of the younger and every child grew to upright and worthy manhood and womanhood. Robert W. Allen remained on the home farm of the family and tilled his acreage, consisting of 290 acres, until his retirement to a home in Windsor in 1911. He came into possession of the Allen homestead through the gradual purchase of the interests of the heirs and built it up into a splendid property. October 9, 1879, Robert W. Allen and Miss Sallie M. Sutherland were united in marriage. Mrs. Sallie M. Allen was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, the daughter of Uriah and Margaret Jane (Harris) Sutherland. To this marriage have been born two children: Clara, wife of Rev. O. L. Byrns, Golden City, Missouri, mother of one child, Margaret; Robert L., who is managing the old home place of the family in Tebo township, a graduate of the Kansas City Veterinary College, and who combines the practice of his profession with farming pursuits, married Myrtle Bell and has one child, Robert Bell Allen. Mr. Allen has always been a Democrat, politically, and is a member of the Presbyterian church. In addition to his land interests he is a stockholder of the First National Bank of Windsor and owns stock in the Peoples Bank of Calhoun, Missouri. Mr. Allen is one of the highly valued and substantial and enterprising citizens of Windsor and Henry County.
ALLISON, Alfred Harvey
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 423
Alfred H. Allison, proprietor of a well improved farm of 128.64 acres in Walker township, was born in Bates County, Missouri, December 18, 1868, and is the son of Otho C. and Zerelda (Baker) Allison, the former a native of Illinois and the latter was born in Missouri. Otho C. Allison was born in 1845 and died in 1915. Mrs. Zerelda Allison was born in 1850. Otho C. Allison came to Missouri in 1865 and drove the stage from Sedalia to Butler, Missouri, for a period of two years. He then settled on the old Baker farm in Bates County, where he resided until 1870 and then located in Henry County. He improved the farm which his son, Alfred H., now owns and lived thereon until his death. He was father of two sons and two daughters: Alfred H., Rolla C., lives in Kentucky; Mrs. Roberta G. Williams, Walker township; Mrs. Cornelia Wilcoxen, lives near Lucas, Missouri. Alfred H. Allison was educated in the district schools of Walker township and has always followed the vocation of farmer and stockman. In 1903 he purchased a farm of eighty acres and in 1915 he traded his farm for the home place. Mr. Allison was married in February, 1893, to Miss Bertie McClenny, the daughter of Frank McClenny, of Henry County. The following children were born to this marriage: Mrs. Cornelia Caldwell, Walker township; Mrs. Carrie Hart, Walker township; Ruby, at home with her parents; two children died in infancy; Hazel, the last born, died at the age of one year and eight months. Mr. Allison is a Republican and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a good, industrious citizen, who tills his acreage so as to get the maximum yield of crops and is ever ready to assist a worthy local enterprise to the best of his ability.
ALLISON, Ephraim Judge Capt.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 490
Judge Ephraim Allison, dealer in dry goods, clothing, millinery, carpets, etc., is a native of Cooper County, Missouri, and was born November 27, 1835. His father, Thomas Allison, was born in North Carolina October 27, 1800, but removed with his father, Ephraim, to Cooper County, Missouri, while yet a boy, being raised among the pioneers of that county. He was there married to the mother of our subject, Miss Lydia Jones, who was born in Kentucky August 18, 1802. She had come with her parents to Cooper County in 1812, and was in the fort near Boonville when the famous General Cooper was killed. They resided in Cooper till 1846, in which year they removed to Saline County, Missouri, and in 1852 to Henry County, Missouri. Here Thomas Allison resided till 1862; then returned to Saline County and there died in February, 1865. His widow is still living. Ephraim at the commencement of the war enlisted for the Confederate cause in Captain Owens' company of Missouri State Guards, serving till their disbandment, six months later. Then he enlisted in Company I, Sixteenth Missouri Regiment, and served actively till the spring of 1863, but continued with the command till the close of the war, at which time (1865) he was in Texas. Remaining in Madison County, Texas, till the spring of 1867, he soon returned to Saline County, Missouri, and remained there till the fall of 1868, when he came to Clinton and engaged in the grocery business. This he continued till the spring of 1870, closed out his grocery stock and with T. Draffen as a partner embarked in the dry goods trade. After one month Mr. Draffen died, and Mr. Allison conducted the business alone for six months, when in July following the firm became Allison & Piper. This partnership existed till the spring of 1878, when Mr. Piper retired from the firm. Mr. A. is now carrying a very heavy stock of goods and is doing a successful business. In November, 1872, he was elected Treasurer of Henry County, and served in that capacity from January, 1873, to January, 1877, and in the latter year he was elected one of the county judges under the old township organization, serving one year. Then his services were done away with by the new county organization, which reduced the bench to three judges. In 1880 he was elected presiding judge of the county court and filled this honorable position very acceptably till January, 1883. Mr. A. was united in marriage May 28, 1868, to Miss Ruth McCarty, a native of Saline County, Missouri. They have four children: Charlie S., Mary L., Anna M. and Nellie. He is a member of the Masonic Order and also belongs to the Baptist Church.
ALLISON, William H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 491
William H. Allison, County Recorder and a member of the firm of Allison & McCarty, dealers in dry goods, clothing, boots and shoes, etc., owes his nativity to Cooper County, Missouri, where he was born May 14th, 1842. When he was at the age of 7 years his parents removed to Saline County, Missouri, where they resided till 1853, in that year coming to Henry County. Here William was reared in the occupation of farming, and here he continued to reside till the commencement of the war, when he enlisted, in 1861, in Captain Owens' Company, of the Missouri Stale Guards, serving till their disbandment, six months later. Then he enlisted under Colonel Jackson, and was shortly taken, prisoner by the Federals in Saline County, Missouri, and was held as such in St. Louis, Missouri, Alton, Illinois, and Johnson Island, Ohio, spending in those prisons in all twenty-six months. He was then exchanged, and some time afterward was discharged. Returning to Missouri he spent the winter of 1865 in Saline County. The following spring he went to Montana Territory, and was there engaged in the stock business for three years, when he came back to Clinton, and in 1869 he, with Mr. Terry, embarked in the grocery business. In 1875, closing out his grocery trade, he commenced selling dry goods, and in August, 1882, Mr. McCarty became a member of the firm. In 1882 Mr. A. was elected County Recorder, and entered upon the duties of that office January 1, 1883. He was married November 7th, 1869, to Miss Mollie E. Sparks, of Kentucky. They have three children, Earl, Lester and Frank. He is a member of the Masonic and, also, of the A. O. U. W. fraternities.