AMICK, Maranda R. Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 627
M. R. Amick is the owner of "Elm Grove" farm of 400 acres, composed of fine rolling prairie, well watered by springs, and is under good cultivation. He was born December 8, 1846, in the township where he now resides. His father, Marandy Amick, a farmer, and millwright by occupation, was born March 25, 1808, in Kentucky. He came to Henry County in 1840, and was the architect of the first steam mill west of St. Louis, it having been erected by Major William Wall, and burned by command of Gen. Pope, during the War. His mother, who was formerly Sarah E. Wall, daughter of Major William and Elizabeth Wall, was born October 6, 1818, in Rockingham County, North Carolina. They were married June 27, 1843, and to them were born three children, of whom but one is now living, M. R. Mr. A. died February 26, 1847, and his widow died August 11, 1854. Our subject was thus left an orphan at the age of nine years. Dr. James W. Wall (his uncle) then took him under his care, and became his guardian, and he remained with that relative until he attained his majority. Falling heir to an estate of 500 acres he took charge of the same, it consisting mostly of unimproved lands. January 18, 1872, he married Miss Cerepta V., daughter of Judge M. B. and Susan A. Merritt. By this union there were six children, of whom five are living: Walter M., born February 12, 1873; the second son died while very young; Lillian Blanch, born November 24, 1875; Mary Ida, born September 18, 1877; Milton C., born January 22, 1880; Arthur, born August 11, 1881. Mr. Amick commenced his improvements in 1874, and now has a residence that is an ornament to the fine farm it helps to adorn. He is a man of great energy, is a successful stock raiser. and his superior herd of short-horns and pure Berkshires are of the finest grade. He feeds about a car load of each annually. Himself and wife are members of the Sardis-Bethlehem Baptist Church. Politically he is a Democrat.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 773
Christopher Anderson was born in Lunenburg County, Virginia, August 24, 1820. His parents, Christopher and Mary Anderson, were natives of Kentucky. The former who was born in 1796, served in the war of 1812, and died in his native state December 23, 1865. The subject of this sketch spent his youth on the home farm, enjoying fair educational advantages in the subscription schools. In 1844 he commenced merchandising at Woodsdale, in the county of his birth, where he sold goods for about eighteen months, removing thence to Lewiston, the county seat. He continued business in the county for about five years, and in 1849, in company with William P. Gunn, started to make the overland trip to California. After going as far as Independence, Missouri, Mr. Anderson was taken with the cholera, and was left by his party, and after partially recovering he returned to St. Louis, where he was taken with a relapse. Upon recovering from this attack he enlisted in the regular army at St. Louis for a term of five years. The regiment was ordered to Florida and afterward to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and then went to the Indian Territory, where he was discharged at the expiration of his term of service. In 1854, he came to Henry County, and in the fall of 1855 bought an interest in a grocery house at Clinton. He remained here about two years and was also engaged in the stock trade. In 1857, removing to the county line of Morgan and Benton Counties, he started a country store, but after one year and a half moved to Benton County and was occupied in farming until the breaking out of the war. From 1861 until 1865 he sold goods in Sedalia, and then went to Pleasant Hill, Cass County, and embarked in a retail and jobbing trade. In June, 1867, he brought his stock of goods to Leesville, and has since continued in the trade at this place. He owns about 400 acres of land, with good improvements, and in addition to being a successful merchant is a good farmer. Mr. Anderson was first married in Benton County in 1857, to Miss Tobitha Bradshaw, a native of Virginia. She died in Sedalia in 1864. leaving one child, Martha, wife of Dr. J. H. Baugh, of Leesville. Mr. A. was married again in Otterville, Cooper County, in February, 1866, to Miss Martha Bell, a daughter of B. H. Bell, an old merchant of that place. There are four children by this marriage: Christopher, Pauline, Mason and Berry. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Masonic order. His wife belongs to the Old School Presbyterian Church.
ANDERSON, Francis Marion
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 661
F. M. Anderson, farmer and stock raiser, section 26, is the son of Isaac Anderson, a native of Tennessee, who came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1835, and located in Big Creek Township where F. M. was born December 27, 1837. His mother's maiden name was Eliza Sharp, also originally from Tennessee. Young Anderson was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools of this county, and has since been engaged in farming, now owning 122 acres of land, well improved. During the late war he served under Colonel Lewis and participated in the battles of Lexington and Bear Creek. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. October 19, 1860, Mr. Anderson was married to Miss Ocia Pernell, a daughter of F. A. Pernell, who served as clerk of the county court in Henry County for eighteen years. Mrs. A. is a native of Henry County, Missouri. They have two children: Ada B. and Charlie.
ANDERSON, Jasper M.
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 592
Photos: Jasper Anderson
Jasper M. Anderson, a Civil War veteran and a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Missouri, is a native of Henry County. He was born May 28, 1844, on the farm which is now owned by G. L. Park. He is a son of Isaac and Eliza (Sharp) Anderson, natives of Tennessee. The Anderson family came to Missouri and settled on the Blackwater River in what is now Johnson County in 1832. They remained there about one year, coming to Henry County in 1833 and settling in Big Creek township. The father died in 1858 and the mother in 1879. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Elizabeth Swift, Mrs. Jane Moody, Mrs. Sarah Middleton, James M., Francis Marion, Isaac, all deceased except J. M., the subject of this review; William P., deceased; Mrs. Carrie Murphy, Joplin, Missouri; Mrs. Eliza Ellison, Kansas City, Missouri; E. W., deceased, and Cynthia, died in infancy. J. M. Anderson grew to manhood amidst the pioneer surroundings of Henry County and received his education in the old log school house of that time. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted in the Confederate Army. He participated in the battle of Lone Jack and in that engagement received a gunshot wound in the left shoulder. After his recovery from the wound he rejoined his command and took part in a number of other engagements including the battles of Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove and a number of other skirmishes and lesser engagements. He served under Gen. Sterling Price and when the war closed he was in Texas. Shortly afterwards he returned to Henry County, which has been his home ever since. He is one of the successful farmers and stockmen of Big Creek township, and one of Henry County's leading citizens. He has a splendid farm of one hundred fifty acres of well improved land, which is conveniently located three and one-half miles southeast of Blairstown. Mr. Anderson has been twice married. He was first married in 1877 to Miss Hester Webster, a daughter of James Webster, a pioneer of Big Creek township, both of whom are now deceased. To Mr. Anderson's first marriage were born the following children: Claud, Maud and Stella, all deceased; Jessie, now the wife of Walter Waugh of Maurine, Missouri; Martha, who resides at home, and Richard, Urich, Missouri. Mrs. Hester Anderson died in 1888. Mr. Anderson's present wife, whom he married September 12, 1897, bore the maiden name of Bettie Cox, a daughter of Thomas Cox of Big Creek township. He was a native of Montgomery County, Missouri, and his wife of Shelby County, Kentucky. They are both now deceased. Mrs. Anderson is one of the following children born to her parents: Eugene, lives in California; Mrs. Ida Morton, Nevada, Missouri; Homer, California; Bettie, the wife of J. M. Anderson, and Charles, who lives in California. In politics Mr. Anderson is an uncompromising Democrat and is a good, reliable citizen.\
ANDERSON, John Quincy
Montrose, Deepwater Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 534
John Quincy Anderson, late prominent business man of Montrose, Missouri, was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky, November 12, 1863. He was the son of David C. and Phoebe (White) Anderson, both natives of Kentucky, and came to Polk County, Missouri, in 1880. The Andersons settled there on a farm in Polk County and spent the remainder of their days. John Q. Anderson was the eldest of nine children born to his parents. He was reared to farm life and being of a bright, studious nature, he received a good common school education. For some years he was a teacher in the public schools and taught at Humansville, Missouri, prior to locating in Montrose, where he was first employed as a clerk in Sol Kahn's general store when the town of Montrose was in its infancy. In 1885 he engaged in the grain and lumber business at Montrose and was very successful until his death, April 8, 1903. He organized the Anderson Lumber Company and at the time of his death he was manager of this concern, which had lumber yards at Montrose, Clinton, Windsor and Knob Noster. March 4, 1885, John Quincy Anderson and Miss Sallie Wilson were united in marriage. Sallie Wilson Anderson was born in Moniteau County, Missouri, February 20, 1866. She is the daughter of William and Irene (Williams) Wilson, the former a native of Illinois and the latter a daughter of a pioneer settler of Moniteau County, Missouri. William Wilson moved to Ray County, Missouri, in 1877 and spent the remainder of his days there. Mrs. Irene Wilson died in 1869 and William Wilson afterward married Georgia Fane. There were born to William and Irene Wilson children as follow: Mrs. Sallie (Wilson) Mann and Eliza Guffy, living in Florida. To John Quincy and Sallie Anderson were born three children: Sol Anderson, traveling auditor for a Kansas City lumber company, born and reared at Montrose; William R., Wichita, Kansas, traveling salesman for the Portland Ash Cement Company, married Bessie Peterson of Lincoln, Nebraska; Ethel Irene, wife of G. R. Hayden, Des Moines, Iowa. Each of the Anderson children graduated from the Montrose High School and received every advantage for fitting them for useful places in the world. In 1915 Mrs. Sallie Anderson was married to James D. Mann, late of Montrose, who died in that city in 1916. Elsewhere in this volume is a biography of Mr. Mann. Mrs. Mann came to Windsor in 1917 and has a beautiful home in this city. She is a stockholder in the Montrose Savings Bank. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church and is affiliated with the Order of Eastern Star. While the late John Quincy Anderson was reared to believe in the tenets of the Baptist faith, later in life he united with the Presbyterian denomination and took considerable interest in church work. He was active in the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and was prominent in the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in both of which fraternal societies he took great interest. Mr. Anderson was one of the prominent and influential leaders of the Republican party in Henry County and served as a member of the Republican County Central Committee. He was not only a successful and enterprising business man, but he took a good citizen's part in civic and public work which tended to advance the interests of his home city and county. He was one of the prime movers in the organization of the public school system of Montrose and served as a member of the school board, always being a warm and steadfast advocate of better schools. His passing marked the end of a long and successful career which has had few equals among the citizens of Henry County, and his death was a distinct loss to the city and county in which he had for so many years been a prominent figure.
ANDERSON, Mason Sr.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 337
Mason Anderson, a prominent clothing and furnishing dealer at Clinton, Missouri, is a native of Henry County, and a member of one of its pioneer families. He was born at Leesville, February 17, 1875, a son of Christopher and Martha (Bell) Anderson. Christopher (better known as "Kit") Anderson, was a native of Virginia, and came to Missouri when a young man and settled on the little Tebo, near Warsaw. He was a name who had a varied pioneer experience. In 1849 he started across the plains to California, but was taken severely ill. The parties who accompanied him drove away with his team and left him sick and alone. After his return to Missouri, he engaged in the mercantile business and for a time was located at Pleasant Hill, and later at Sedalia. He served in the United States Army for a time. He came to Henry County after the close of the Civil War and engaged in the mercantile business at Leesville. He remained there until 1884, when he came to Clinton and purchased the William Allison store on the east side of the square, just two doors north of where Mason Anderson's clothing store is now located. Here he was successfully engaged in business for a number of years. He died in 1888. "Kit" Anderson was twice married. His first wife was Miss Bradshaw, and one child was born to this union, who is now the widow of Dr. J. H. Baugh, and resides at Clinton. After the death of his first wife Mr. Anderson was united in marriage with Miss Mattie Bell, a native of Tennessee, who came here with her parents at an early day. She was a daughter of Rev. William Bell, who was a minister and also engaged in the mercantile business at Otterville, Missouri, during the Civil War. To Mr. Anderson's second marriage were born the following children: Christopher, traveling salesman for the Peters Shoe Company of St. Louis, lives in Kansas City, Missouri; Pauline, who was a teacher in the Clinton schools for a number of years, and is now engaged in teaching at Waitsburg, Washington; Mason, the subject of this sketch; and Berry, manager of the Osage Mercantile Company, Osceola, Missouri. Mason Anderson was nine years of age when he came to Clinton with his parents. He received his education in the public schools and in Lamkin's Academy. After the death of his father, the mother continued the store for a number of years, and Mason assisted his mother in the business. In 1895 he went to Lowery City, Missouri, where he engaged in the drygoods, clothing and shoe business. In 1897 he moved his stock of goods to Clinton, and opened a store in the Reynolds building on the northwest corner of the square. In 1899 he sold out, and clerked for Mr. Weidemeyer in Clinton until March, 1913, when he bought out the Williams Clothing Company, on the east side of the square, where he has since conducted a first-class clothing store, with all the accessories in the way of furnishing goods that goes with it. He is located in the Weidemeyer building, which is one of the old commercial land-marks of Clinton. Mr. Anderson was united in marriage June 30, 1898, to Miss Kate Calloway, a daughter of James Calloway, a former sheriff of Henry County, now deceased. Mrs. Anderson was born in Henry County and her parents were pioneers of this section. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been born three children as follows: Mason, Jr., a graduate of the Clinton High School, and now attending school at Fulton, Missouri; Berry and Frank, both attending the Clinton schools. Mr. Anderson is a Democrat and has served two terms as collector of Clinton. He is a member of the Elks and the Modern Woodmen of America and is a progressive and enterprising business man.
ANGLE, George Nimrod
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 304
Photos: George & Ella Angle
George N. Angle. The Angle farm in Davis township is one of the finest farms in Missouri. The home farm upon which the residence is located on a sloping hillside and overlooking a vast tract of country stretching away on every hand, consists of three hundred sixty acres. In addition to this tract another farm of ninety-five acres lies in the Grand River bottoms and is noted for its fertility. Mr. Angle has made this place his home since 1883 and has gradually built improvements until it is one of the beautiful places in Henry County. The residence of seven rooms was erected in 1903, supplanting the old house which had stood on the site for many years. On the Angle farms have been sown for this season's crops one hundred fifty-six acres of wheat, one hundred fifteen acres of oats and one hundred five acres of corn. Mr. Angle's sons are farming one hundred eighty acres of their own land and one hundred eleven acres which they are renting. The Angle farm is a very productive one, which boasts a heavy output of live stock each year. Only recently Mr. Angle has disposed of a carload of cattle and one of hogs (April, 1918). The average output of Hereford or white face cattle from the place is about one hundred five head. The yearly production of Duroc Jersey hogs is over one hundred eighty head. Fifteen head of work horses and mules are maintained on the place. George N. Angle was born August 7, 1855, in Pike County, Missouri, and is the son of John and Sarah Elizabeth (Ferguson) Angle, who settled in Henry County in 1866. John Angle was born in Pike County, Missouri, February 4, 1830, and died in Clinton, Missouri, November 18, 1914. He was the son of Jacob Angle, a native of Germany who emigrated to America and settled in St. Louis in 1812. Some years later he went to Pike County, Missouri, and settled on Salt River, not far from the city of Louisiana. John Angle was reared in Pike County and there married Elizabeth Ferguson, October 26, 1854. Elizabeth (Ferguson) Angle is a daughter of John and Rebecca (Stevenson) Ferguson, natives of Kentucky who were pioneer settlers of Pike County, Missouri. Mrs. Elizabeth Angle was born September 3, 1835, and is now living in Clinton, one of the oldest of the pioneer women of Henry County. The Angle family came to Henry County in 1866 and first settled a few miles northwest of Clinton and some time later settled in Davis township, where John Angle improved a splendid farm and became fairly well-to-do and highly respected. John and Elizabeth Angle were parents of eleven children, five of whom are living, as follow: George N., the subject of this review; Sarah, died in 1855; John Richard, residing in Clinton; Harvey, deceased; Ernest Angle, died in 1905; Solon, lives in Canada, and has a family of eight children; Mrs. Orpha Dooley, lives in Clinton and has a family of four children, and Daisy Jeffries, lives in Oklahoma. John Angle became owner of two hundred sixty acres of land in Davis township and resided there until he removed to Clinton, where he died four years later. George Angle was eleven years of age when he accompanied his parents to Henry County. He received his early education in the Fields Creek school. He located in Davis township in 1879 and remained with his parents on the home farm until he was twenty-five years old. He began to make his own way when he attained his majority and has been successful from the start of his career. He purchased his first land in 1883 and with his wife's assistance and the joining of their respective capitals he became owner of one hundred twenty acres. With the exceptions of forty-seven acres, which was Mrs. Angle's by inheritance, all of the Angle lands have been purchased on time. Mr. Angle found it a good business policy to go in debt for land and make the land pay for itself with wise cultivation and good business management. His large farm of four hundred fifty-five acres is one of the best in Henry County and one of the most productive. He has deviated considerably from the old time methods of agriculture and is progressive. March 20, 1881, the marriage of George N. Angle and Miss Ella Rogers was solemnized. This marriage has been blessed with the following children: Albert F., born April 20, 1882, married Miss Marie Bassaird of Sonora, California, February 12, 1918, and resides at Sonora; John Ferguson, born April 17, 1883, died at the age of twelve years; Leslie, born April 25, 1885, resides in Isabelle, South Dakota; Bertha, born October 4, 1887, married W. L. Coonrod in October, 1915, and lives at Carterville, Missouri; Earl, born October 30, 1889, Fairfield, Montana, married Alma Zimmerman August 20, 1917; Ralph, a farmer of Davis township, born November 11, 1891, married Clara Ogan in October, 1916; William A., born November 19, 1893, graduated from the Clinton High School, studied at the State University and is now engaged in farming on the home place; Clarence, born January 19, 1896, enlisted in the United States Navy in December, 1917, and was located at the Great Lakes Naval Training Station, and is now a member of the crew of the United States battleship Wisconsin;. Donald, born April 28, 1898, is a graduate of the Clinton High School; Mary, born February 9, 1901, is a student in the Clinton High School; Velma, born May 3, 1903, died January 4, 1905. The mother of this fine family of children was born December 2, 1860, in Henry County, and is the daughter of Thomas and Lucinda (Fletcher) Rogers, the latter of whom was born on December 4, 1831, at Lexington, Missouri, a daughter of James Fletcher, a pioneer settler of Henry County. She died in 1866. Thomas Rogers was born at Winchester, Kentucky, February 18, 1824, and died May 16, 1883. He was among the earliest of the Henry County pioneers and established one of the first stores in Clinton. He was the first postmaster of Clinton and came from Kentucky to Henry County in the late thirties. His wife was the first to be buried in the old Clinton Cemetery. After her mother's death, Mrs. Angle was reared by her aunt, Mrs. Jane Trotter of Carrollton, Missouri. Mr. Angle is a Republican and he has generally taken an active and influential interest in civic matters in his home township. For over thirty-one years he has been school trustee. He and Mrs. Angle and their children are members of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church. Mr. Angle is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a charter member of the Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church and has served as an elder for thirty years and has been Sunday school superintendent for past thirty years.
ARMSTRONG, Aurelius L.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 606
Aurelius L. Armstrong, a leading druggist of Clinton, Missouri, has been continuously engaged in business here longer than any other merchant. He is a native of Missouri, born in Quincy, Hickory County, August 8, 1854, a son of Andrew L. and Sarah Ann (Hancock) Armstrong. The father was born near Jacksonville, Illinois, in 1820, and about 1838 came to Missouri, first locating in Lincoln County, where he was married to Sarah Ann Hancock. He went from Lincoln County to Hickory County in 1852. Here he remained until 1855, when he came to Henry County and settled on a farm four miles northwest of Clinton. About two years later he came to Clinton, where he was engaged in the mercantile business until the time of his death in 1858. Although a resident of Henry County but a few years he took an active part in local affairs and became prominent in local politics. He was a candidate for the State Legislature in 1856. The Armstrong family are of old Pennsylvania stock and William Armstrong, grandfather of A. L., the subject of this sketch, came from Pennsylvania to Illinois at a very early date in the history of the latter State. Sarah Ann (Hancock) Armstrong, mother of A. L. Armstrong, whose name introduces this review, is one of the honored pioneer women of Henry County. She celebrated her ninetieth birthday on May 5, 1918, having spent sixty-three years of her life in Henry County. She is a woman of unusual physical and mental vigor and is as active as most people who are thirty years her juniors. She is a constant reader of the daily papers as well as current literature in general and carries on regular correspondence with a number of friends and acquaintances. She also does considerable fancy needlework, despite her advanced age. A. L. Armstrong was the third and youngest child born to his parents. His older brother, Hannibal H., is an attorney in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Solon, the second born, died in infancy. A. L. Armstrong received his education in the public schools of Clinton and Kentucky University, Lexington, Kentucky. After returning from college, Mr. Armstrong entered the employ of C. C. Williams, who conducted a drug store at Clinton, and for two years was thus employed. He then entered the employ of Bolton and Davis, and two years later bought the interest of Mr. Davis in the drug store and the firm became Bolton & Armstrong. This business arrangement continued for a period of five years when Mr. Armstrong sold his interest to his partner and in the fall of 1879 engaged in the drug business for himself, and has been continuously engaged in that business in the town of Clinton to the present time. His first drug store was on the south side of the square, and in 1890 he moved to the north side and has remained in that vicinity since, having occupied his present place of business about ten years. May 1, 1878, Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with Susan May Henshaw, a native of Clay County, Missouri, and a daughter of Joseph P. and Melissa (Neely) Henshaw, both now deceased. They died in Johnson County. To Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong have been born one child, Atropa, now the wife of Charles A. Rutherford, Clinton, Missouri. Mr. Armstrong is a Democrat and has taken an active part in his party organizations since boyhood. He has served two terms in the State Legislature, representing Henry County in the Forty-sixth General Assembly in 1910, and was re-elected, serving as a member of the Forty-seventh General Assembly. He has been mayor of Clinton. For a number of years Mr. Armstrong has been a member of the Henry County Democratic Central Committee and is at present chairman of the City Democratic Central Committee. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Royal Neighbors of America and a member of the Christian Church, having been an elder in the local church for over twenty-five years. Mr. Armstrong is one of the progressive and public spirited business men of Henry County, and during his long career here has built a reputation for honesty and integrity that is rarely equaled by any man in any community.
ARMSTRONG, Hannibal Hancock
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 354
Hannibal H. Armstrong is a native Missourian, having been born in Lincoln County, this state, but may be considered a Henry County boy, having arrived in this county at the tender age of two years. He was born November 3, 1852. He is a graduate of the Kentucky State University, at Lexington, Kentucky. He finished his studies in 1871, and in 1872, entered the law office of McBeth & Price, where he remained for three years, and was admitted to the bar in 1875, and also held the office of city attorney for one year. An absence for nearly two years in Texas, from 1876 to 1878, in which he was engaged in farming, gave him, on his return to Clinton, greater zest for his profession, and he now ranks as one of the leading attorneys among the younger members of the bar. He is a rising legal light, a good talker, good student, and in fact endowed with those qualities which makes the lawyer and the mail. He was married July 19, 1882, to Miss Lucy J. Harris, of Texas.
ARMSTRONG, Harry R.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 513
Harry Armstrong, farmer and stockman, proprietor of a well improved farm of 160 acres in Davis township, is a native of Kansas, but has lived nearly all his life in Henry County. He was born in 1867 in Davis County, near Fort Riley, Kansas, and is the son of James Armstrong, one of the oldest residents of Henry County. James Armstrong was born in Madison County, Ohio, September 20, 1833, the son of Robert and Elizabeth (Earl) Armstrong. Robert Armstrong was a son of James Armstrong, a native of Pennsylvania of English descent. James Armstrong, father of Harry Armstrong, left his native State, Ohio, in 1855 and located on a homestead in Kansas near Fort Riley. He preempted land and was induced to locate in Kansas by the free state advocates. Being an ardent Union sympathizer and patriotic he enlisted in the Union Army in 1862. Mr. Armstrong became a private in Company E, 2nd Kansas Cavalry, and served for three years in Missouri and Arkansas. He fought in the battles of Elkhorn Tavern, Prairie Grove and was engaged in many skirmishes. He was twice wounded while campaigning in Arkansas, being shot through the left thigh and in the left ankle. In 1868 he came to Henry County and purchased an entire section of land in Davis township, which is held intact to this day, and is being cultivated by the sons of Mr. Armstrong. James Armstrong was married April 16, 1867, to Miss Minerva A. Cruzen, who was born in Virginia in 1834. The following children were born to them: Harry, subject of this sketch; Dr. Claude L., a physician at Webster Grove, Missouri; Robert C., living on the home place; J. Otis, a farmer in Davis township. Mr. Armstrong has always been a Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Grand Army of the Republic. Harry Armstrong was reared to young manhood on the home place in Davis township. When he began farming on his own account he improved 160 acres of land which was formerly a part of the Armstrong home place. He has erected a nice cottage residence and has his farm well improved. On February 18, 1897, Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with Miss Ella P. Vickers, who was born in Bear Creek township, the daughter of W. H. and Cornelia (Peyton) Vickers, old settlers of Henry County. W. H. Vickers was the son of Stephen Vickers, who made a settlement in Bear Creek township as early as 1842. To Mr. and Mrs. Harry Armstrong have been born five children: Helen, aged twenty years; Margaret, aged sixteen; Harry V., thirteen years old; Frederick, nine years of age; and Minerva, aged five, all of whom are at home with their parents. Mr. Armstrong is a Republican. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and is affiliated with the La Due Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 728
James Armstrong was born in Madison County, Ohio, September 20, 1833, being the sixth of fifteen children, whose parents were Robert and Elizabeth (Earl) Armstrong, natives of Ohio. One sister, Mary J., is the wife of Dr. D. R. Caldwell; one is in Kansas City, and one brother, Robert, is at Shelbyville. The young days of James were spent on a farm, and he then engaged in mercantile pursuits at London, Ohio. In 1855 he moved to Bloomington, Illinois, and in 1856 to Kansas. For some years he was on the freight lines to Santa Fe. During the war he served in the Second Kansas Cavalry, taking part in some of the principal border fights and receiving two wounds. In 1868 he came to Henry County, Missouri, and began to improve a tract of land which his father had entered. His farm contains 640 acres and is one of the best in the county. Mr. Armstrong deals extensively in stock and is considered one of the most reliable men of this locality. He was married April 16, 1867, in Champaign County, Illinois, to Miss Minerva Crozen, who was born at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, May 14, 1834. They have four children living: Harry, Claude, Robert and James O. One, Gracie, died at the age of fourteen months.
ARMSTRONG, William Perry Rev.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 453
Rev. William Perry Armstrong. Hollyhock Place. Unselfish devotion to duty and the cause of humanity has characterized the lives of the late William Perry Armstrong and his devoted wife, Mrs. Laura Avery Armstrong. Their beautiful suburban place in the northern part of the city of Clinton is noted the country over as "Hollyhock Place," because of the profusion of hollyhocks and flowers of all kinds which are blooming during the spring, summer and autumn. It is one of the show places of Henry County and western Missouri, and Mrs. Armstrong devotes the greater part of her spare time to caring for her flowers just to see them grow and have plenty for her friends. Rev. William Perry Armstrong was a real man among men whose work as a minister of the Gospel, in a religious and constructive sense, will endure for all time to come. He was revered and respected by all who came in contact with him, and he was widely known throughout this section of the Middle West as an unselfish and devoted laborer in the vineyard of the Lord. He was born in Warrick County, Indiana, October 29, 1837, the son of William and Mary (Perry) Armstrong, residents of Warrick County. The father of William, the elder, was born in Cork County, Ireland. William P. Armstrong was twice married, his first wife having been Mary Caroline Hartenburg, of Washington County, Indiana, who died in Indiana. One child, Harriet Helen, was born to that union, who died January 29, 1867. Mary Caroline (Armstrong) died February 16, 1868, at Salem Parsonage, Indiana. Rev. William P. Armstrong's second marriage took place at Evansville, Indiana, November 1, 1876, with Mrs. Laura Avery (Knowles) Von Hiestand, who bore him children as follow: Ellen May, born at Manhattan, Kansas, and is the wife of George A. Taylor of Green Street, Clinton, Missouri; William Earl, born November 8, 1883, at Pierce City, Missouri, and died Tuesday, September 22, 1908. Rev. William Perry Armstrong became a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church when a young man and devoted the greater portion of his life to spreading the Gospel and in religious works of a practical and enduring order. He was not only successful in his profession but achieved a success in a business sense so that during his later years he was relieved from any dependence upon the church and could devote his time and talents to the building up of small, struggling churches without need or desire of recompense. He followed the ministry, mainly, for the love of the work and not as a necessity. He served in the Evansville, Indiana, Conference until called upon to devote his time to various weak churches in different localities of the West which were in need of a strong, able man to lift church debts, erect new edifices, and place the congregations in a state of financial well being. Several years of his life were devoted to this arduous work and he felt well repaid for his successes as a builder and church financier. He built up a splendid church at Pierce City, Missouri. He came to Clinton, Missouri, in 1881 and built the present Methodist Episcopal Church and at the same time purchased a permanent abiding place consisting of a farm just on the northern edge of the city, embracing 165 acres of valuable land. From Clinton he was called to Springfield, Missouri, where during the second year of his work his health failed and he returned to his home to recuperate. For nine years after regaining his health he confined his religious and ministerial activities to purely local work and served the churches of Neosho and Pierce City, Missouri, building the Nevada Methodist Church. He built up many poor churches during his later years of active ministerial work purely for the love of doing good for the cause of Christianity. Rev. William Perry. Armstrong departed this life on November 22, 1916, deeply and sincerely mourned by thousands of people who had known and loved him as an upright man of God. Mrs. Laura Avery (Knowles) Armstrong, widow of Rev. William Perry Armstrong, was born on Catalpa Plantation on the shores of the Tennessee River, Mississippi, and when but a few hours old was taken to Glen Marion Plantation, Arkansas, a beautiful tract which had been cut out of the heart of the forest and transformed into a magnificent country estate by her older brothers. She lived on this plantation until sixteen years of age. Laura Avery Knowles is a daughter of Doctor David and Emily (Avery) Knowles, the latter of whom was a member of the old Avery family of Mystic, Connecticut, which numbers among its members many famous men and women in America. Doctor Knowles was a finely educated physician and was born in Connecticut. After his marriage he first moved to the Johnson and Bradish plantations, nine miles from New Orleans, where his first six children were born. Later he moved to Mud City, near Memphis, and then to Glen Marion Plantation. After the war he located in Mt. Vernon, Indiana, to be near his children and there built up a miniature Glen Marion in the suburbs of that city. He lived there until old age rendered him helpless and he then removed to the home of his son at Vienna, Illinois, where he died at the age of eighty-seven years. Mrs. Knowles died at the age of eighty-four years. The children of Doctor and Mrs. Knowles are as follows: Ellen, Louisa, Latham, Dudley and Henry, twins; Nancy and Amanda, twins; Emma, Adele, and Laura Avery. Laura Avery (Knowles) Armstrong was educated by governess' in her father's home in the South and attended a finishing school for young ladies at Henderson, Kentucky. Her first marriage occurred in 1864 and was a romantic character. A house party to which the young gentry of the surrounding country were invited, was being held and she and a young man whom she hardly knew were selected to pose as the bride and groom in a mock wedding ceremony. The young man was De Witt Von Hiestand, the youngest son of a rich planter who was the owner of Adams street in Memphis, Tennessee. After the social event and the performance of the mock wedding ceremony, it was ascertained that the individual who had performed the wedding ceremony was legally authorized to do so on account of being sheriff of the county. This was in 1865 and the newly wedded couple made their home in Memphis until Mr. Von Hiestand's death in 1869. Three children were born of this marriage: Charles, at home with his mother; Elihu, and Hugh, deceased. While a member of the Evansville Conference, the Rev. Armstrong saw Mrs. Von Hiestand's photograph on the wall of a home in Evansville where he was a guest, while attending the conference meeting and then and there decided and declared that if he ever married again he could be happy with the original of the picture for his wife. Strange to relate, ten years later, when Mrs. Von Hiestand was called to Evansville from her Southern home to attend the burial services of her sister, the twain met, loved at sight, and were married. The marriage was a happy and prosperous one and each was in perfect accord during the many years of their married life. Mrs. Armstrong has always been active in literary and charitable works and devotes a great part of her time and her income to assisting unfortunate and dependent women who are in need of a sister's or a mother's care. She and Mrs. Delavgerne started the first reading room in Clinton, which was the beginning of the present splendid public library. She was the instigator of the first Women's Christian Temperance Union in Henry County and has always been interested in good works of a civic character. Mrs. Armstrong has two grandchildren, Margaret Ellen and Jane Taylor. She has one great grandchild, Merry Christmas, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Christmas of Cleveland, Mississippi. She is a remarkably intelligent and well-read lady who is well preserved for her age. Her beautiful home is filled with curios, and a splendid library through which one could browse for hours and be entertained. Mrs. Armstrong takes a keen interest in everyday affairs and is devoted to her home city.
ARENS, Nicholas Francis
1971 History of Montrose, Henry County, Missouri
Nicholas Francis Arens was born March 23, 1872 in Alton, Iowa, a son of Frank and Justina Koob, Arens. When 12 years of age he moved with his family to Remsen, Iowa, where he grew to manhood. There on June 19, 1894 he was married to Anna L. Hentges, born May 17, 1875, a daughter of Christopher and Anna Werner Hentges. Soon after their marriage they came to settle in the Montrose community about 1895. Mr. Arens formed a partnership with Martin Heiman, making wagons, carriages and buggies. Later buying out the entire business, he used his mechanical abilities to convert the wagon and carriage business into general repair, after automobiles outmoded carriages. He was a skilled machinist and workman, and many came to him for an intricate piece of work. Many times he gladly made repairs on youngsters' bikes or showed them small favors to make them happy. Mr. Arens installed and operated the first municipal power plant in Montrose, which gave the citizens electric current in the evenings. Also during this time when the first steam shovels were operating north of Montrose he was their mainstay in welding and repairs and saved them valuable time and money by being able to make or repair any parts needed. His favorite hobby was music, and as long as Montrose had an organized band, he was their tuba player, and at this he excelled. He also played with bands at Clinton, Deepwater, Butler and Appleton City. He was a tuba player in the orchestra and in the program had an advertisement listing himself as "The Village Blacksmith." "No break too bad to be repaired", the advertisement said, and gave wagon work and carriage painting as specialties. Mr. Arens was active in all community affairs and served as mayor, also served as president of the school board many years. He suffered a stroke in 1941 and died December 31, 1953. Mrs. Arens died September 20, 1957. Their children are, Mrs. George (Lenora) Swaters; Mrs. William (Frances) Armstrong; Mrs. Joe (Angeline) Price; Elizabeth Arens; and Clem C. Arens. - OLD MONTROSE LANDMARK IS BEING RAZED, The Montrose Tidings, November 19, 1942 - Many people have viewed with only passing interest the razing of the Arens Blacksmith Shop Building. Many of the old-timers, of course, have reflected on that long gone era when the "wagon shop" was a flourishing business in nearly every town in Missouri. For at one time the building housed a wagon shop that enjoyed an excellent business - in fact the building was erected for the express purpose of making and repairing wagons for the farmers of the surrounding prosperous community. Typical of the shops of that era - but, in the words of those who remember it, "one of the best wagon shops in this section" - the building was erected in the fall of 1886 by Martin Heiman, who moved his family from Damesville, Illinois, to Montrose in September of that year. The first fire was built in the forge late in October, 1886, by Henry Welling, who worked for Mr. Heiman for about a year and a half, and later owned a blacksmith shop of his own, and still later developed one of the largest and most complete hardware stores in any town the size of Montrose in the state. Mr. Welling is still a resident of Montrose and the Welling Bros. Hardware is operated by his sons, R. J. and John Welling. The heavy machinery and the forge equipment were located on the ground floor of the building, where the parts of wagons were constructed. The wagons were assembled and painted on the second floor and run down a ramp on the inside of the building for delivery. In 1896, Nick F. Arens formed a partnership with Martin Heiman and the two continued to operate the successful business together until 1898, when Heiman discontinued active service there to assume the management of the Montrose Flour Mill. After the construction of wagons in a shop of this type became unprofitable due to lack of demand, the advent of the automobile and the "assembly line" by large companies, Arens continued the operation of the business as a blacksmith shop (an integral part of any farming community, even today) until about two years ago when he suffered a severe attach of paralysis. Because of his long service there the building has become known throughout this entire section as the Arens Blacksmith Shop. Thus, with only the cursory glance of the younger generation, the temporary reminiscences of the old-timers, passes the physical semblance of an era that is as much a part of Missouri's great history as are her steamboats, her hound dogs or her coon hunts.
ASHBY, Lewis W.
Deer Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 794
Lewis W. Ashby, farmer and breeder of fine stock, section 14, is a native of Henry County, Missouri, and was born February 9, 1857. His father, C. P. Ashby came to Missouri from Kentucky in 1853, and was married in this county to Mrs. Susan Swift, widow of Shelby Swift; her maiden name was Susan Pinnell, and she was born in Virginia. Mr. Ashby resided in Henry County until the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted in the Confederate army, serving until his health failed. Then he went south and has since lived in Arkansas. Lewis W. was reared and educated by his uncle, W. T. Beaty, and his youth was spent on the farm and in attending common schools. He was married April 3, 1882, to Miss Minnie Palmer, also a native of this county, and a daughter of, J. M. and Julia (Goff) Palmer, both of Henry County. Mr. Ashby and his wife are members of the M. E. Church, South, and he also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. He is devoting his attention to the breeding of thoroughbred Berkshire hogs, and has some of as pure blood as can be found in the state, and all are recorded in the Berkshire record. His stock has been on exhibition at numerous state fairs and always ranked among the best.
ATKINS, John Gilmer
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 727
John Gilmer Atkins, a successful farmer and stockman of Big Creek township, was born in Johnson County November 25, 1884, and belongs to a pioneer family of this section of Missouri. He is a son of Robert Oliver and Dora Alice (Doak) Atkins, natives of Johnson County. Robert Oliver Atkins is now a resident of Johnson County, and at present one of the members of the board of county judges. More extensive mention of the Atkins family history is made in connection with a sketch of Ernest Ward, which appears in this volume. John G. Atkins was reared on his father's farm and educated in the public schools of Blairstown, Missouri. He remained at home with his parents until his marriage, which occurred January 25, 1911. He was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Lee Stewart, a daughter of W. H. and Isabell Frances (Cox) Stewart. The father was a native of West Virginia, born July 13, 1828, and died July 4, 1911. He came to Henry County in an early day and first located at Clinton and later removed to White Oak township, and died at Urich. His wife was born May 1, 1845, and died June 1, 1916, and their remains are interred in the cemetery at Urich. W. H. and Isabell Frances (Cox) Stewart were the parents of the following children: John E., Urich, Missouri; Jennie, deceased; Even L., deceased; Frances; William H., deceased; Charles, Kansas City, Missouri; Albert A., Urich; Earl G., Urich; Raymond Fernwood, died in infancy; Mrs. Fern Spry, deceased; Margaret Lee, wife of John G. Atkins, the subject of this sketch; Edith, wife of Ernest McCoy, Calhoun, Missouri, and Ethel, married Dr. J. N. Jerome, Urich, Missouri. By a former marriage of W. H. Stewart to Margaret Burchnell, the following children were born: B. N., Urich, Missouri; Harry, deceased; Mrs. Florence Read, Goodwell, Oklahoma; Mrs. Leslie E. Scholl, deceased, and R. B., who resides on the Gaines ranch near Clinton, Missouri. Mr. Atkins resides on his farm of eighty acres which is located three-fourths of a mile east of Blairstown, where he is engaged in general farming and stock raising and makes a specialty of big boned Poland China hogs and Hereford cattle. In connection with his farming he is also employed as rural mail carrier on Route No.23 out of Blairstown and has served in the capacity as substitute carrier for the past ten years. Mr. and Mrs. Atkins have one son, John Gilmer, Jr., born July 19, 1916. Mr. Atkins is one of the progressive and energetic young men of Henry County and is recognized as one of its leading citizens of the younger generation.
AVERY, Angus Clark
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 494
Angus Clark Avery. One of the leading citizens of Henry County, and one who has attained a well merited prominence, is he whose name heads this sketch. He was born in Henry County (then Rives), January 26, 1836, and with probably one or two exceptions, is the oldest man now living, born within the limits of the county. His father, Henry Avery, whose biography appears elsewhere, was born in Roane County, Tennessee. His mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Green, a native of White County, Tennessee. The Avery family are of English origin and the earliest known progenitor, Christopher Avery, emigrated from Great Britain and settled in Connecticut in early colonial days, and their descendants took an active part in the war for independence, no less than nine of that name being killed and five wounded at the battle of Fort Griswold, on Groton Heights, September 6, 1781. Four of this number were commissioned officers. Groton Monument, commemorating this conflict, stands on ground once a part of the Avery estate. The maternal ancestry were also of English descent and settled in Virginia at an early day, and were related to General Nathaniel Green, of Revolutionary fame. John Green, the grandfather, moved to White County, Tennessee, and became a Baptist minister and died at an advanced age in 1850. Angus C. Avery was reared on a farm and received his primary education in the schools of the neighborhood in which he lived. He then entered Union Hill Academy, White County, Tennessee, and after preparing himself for one year, became a student of Burritt College, Tennessee, where he remained two years. He then returned to Missouri and attended the State University at Columbia for one year but subsequently returned to Burritt College, where he was graduated July 3, 1858, and was honored by being appointed valedictorian of the class. The same year he entered the law department of Cumberland University, Tennessee, and was graduated in the spring of 1860, and admitted to the bar by Judge Caruthers of the supreme court. Returning to Clinton, he engaged in the practice of his profession until the courts were suspended in consequence of the war. He then turned his attention to the real estate business in which he has since been actively engaged, and at the present time he is one of the largest land owners as well as tax payers of the county. He has always shown a worthy public spiritedness and every good cause, calculated to be of lasting benefit to the city or county, receives his hearty support. In railroad matters he has been specially active with others in reviving the enterprise of building the Tebo & Neosho Railroad, a charter for which was granted prior to 1860 but abandoned on account of the war. This road, after many difficulties, was completed and is now known as the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad. He was one of the largest contributors and the watch word of the company was "economy." The company records will show that though entitled to a salary, he served without compensation, even for expenses, for several years as a director, traveling by his own private conveyance from Sedalia on the east to Fort Scott on the west, attending meetings of the board and using his influence for the undertaking until it was completed. The first mile of the road was graded on his laid through which he gave the right of way. He was one of the originators of the First National Bank of Clinton and has served its interest as president and director. In educational matters he has always taken a deep interest. In his religious preference he is a Baptist and holds the position of deacon, and has served as superintendent of the Sabbath School for seven years. he is one of the trustees of William Jewell College at Liberty, Missouri, and contributed largely to its endowment. He is also on the board of trustees of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, located at Louisville, Kentucky. The Baptist Church edifice in Clinton is due largely to his munificence, as is also the usefulness of its church organization. For the past twenty years he has taken the most advanced position in favor of temperance and prohibition. No one in the past has so thoroughly canvassed against saloons in Clinton. In all places and under all circumstances he is loyal to truth, honor and right, and richly merits the esteem in which he is held. He was married July 3, 1860, to Miss Rhoda Dodge, daughter of William H. and Catherine Dodge, of Cumberland County, Tennessee, originally from New York. Their family consists of eight children: August D., William H., Howard G. and Herbert D. (twins), Angus B.,. Clara B., Rhoda E. and Walter W. Lost one daughter in infancy, Elizabeth K.
AVERY, Charles Edward & Robert Walter
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 629
C. E. & R. W. Avery are the owners and managers of a fine 460 acre farm, and are sons of the late Hon. William L. Avery, who was born November 14, 1822, in White County, Tennessee, and who married January 17, 1843, Miss Saphronia C., daughter of Major John W. and Nancy A. Williams, of Henry County. She was born December 8, 1826, in Simpson County, Kentucky. They had nine children, seven of whom are living: Nancy Elizabeth was born May 10, 1845, and married Mark F. Finks, October 20, 1864; Leonora A. was born August 2, 1847, and married John W. Coppage, October 23, 1867. Charles E. was born July 4, 1849, and married Miss Lelia Theressa, daughter of Judge M. B. and Susan A. Merritt, of this county; Robert W. was born June 15, 1851; Emma O., was born September 9, 1853, and married J. W. Wall in August, 1873 (she died January 7, 1876); Idora F., who was born February 4, 1855, married Nicholas Mars, December 19, 1870, and died September 18, 1874; Mary H. was born January 28, 1857, married Peter B. Mars, October, 1874; Lillian M. was born May 1, 1861, married Nicholas Mars, and now residing in Cedar County Missouri; John H. was born September 3, 1863. C. E. Avery, after attending the Calhoun and Clinton High Schools, took a course at the Missouri State University. He is a gentleman of good education and well cultured, yet altogether unassuming in manner. Robert W., his brother is assisting in the farm management. They are capable energetic young men, and rank high as farmers and raisers of fine graded stock. They have an excellent farm upon which are good buildings, etc. This farm was settled in 1845, by their father, who although he served the county with honor to himself, and satisfaction to her people, found time aside from legal hours, to train his sons for success in future life. He was a prominent public man, his first office being that of county assessor, which position he filled for two years, in 1850-1. he was next elected judge of the county court in 1852, and served for twelve years, or until the general ousting ordinance in 1864. He was again elected in 1870, as judge of the court of common pleas, and held the office for four years. In 1874 he became judge of the probate court, holding his seat until the time of his death, March 2, 1875. Politically these brothers are Democratic.
AVERY, Henry Rev.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 492
Photos: Avery Cabin Susan Roberts Roberts Family Susan Roberts
Rev. Henry Avery. Among the early pioneers of this county there are none who were better known or whose memory is more favorably cherished than the subject of this sketch. He was born in Roane County, Tennessee, October 18, 1793, and was the son of Peter Avery, who emigrated to Tennessee at an early day. The youth of Henry was spent on a farm until the war of 1812, when he enlisted and served as a private; he also served in the war against the Seminole Indians under General Jackson, and was promoted for meritorious conduct. He was married on the 25th of November, 1819, to Miss Elizabeth Green, of White County, Tennessee. In 1830 he emigrated to Missouri, and after spending a season in St. Louis County continued his course westward and raised a crop in Morgan County, and thence moved to what is now Henry County, in July, 1831, and was one of the first to identify himself with the interests of the county. He made his permanent settlement in Tebo Township March 18, 1832, (photo) and engaged successfully in agricultural pursuits. He was probably the first man in the county who broke prairie and put in a crop, and he erected the first hewn log house in the county, which is still standing, and a cut of which is to be seen elsewhere. In this house the first white child of the county, Susan Jane Avery, (now Mrs. William H. Roberts, of Clinton,) was born. He was the first justice of the peace of the county, and the first term of the county court was held in his house on May 4 and 5, 1835, when the county first had a separate organization. The pioneer store in the county was erected and opened on his premises by Stephen Clark. In his religious preferences he was an old school Baptist, and in 1826 united with the Big Fork Church in Tennessee. After his removal to this county he became a constituent member of High Point Church, Johnson County, in 1832, and in the following spring he was ordained a preacher by a Presbytery consisting of Elders J. Warder, J. White, Thomas Ricketts and William Simpson. From this time until his death, though called an Old School Baptist, he was a great missionary, working hard on his farm most of the time and spending often from Friday until Monday preaching the Gospel in all the surrounding country without fee or reward; going east at times as far as St. Louis, and west beyond the state limits, preaching to the Indians. Through industry and strict economy he gained a competency. His house was the home of many a weary traveler, and in it elections, courts and preaching were held. He held a public debate with Elder Joshua Page, a Campbellite in Henry County, the first, perhaps, held as far west, in 1842. He had a good English education and his preaching was plain, faithful and earnest, at the same time pathetic and persuasive, and he might in truth be styled one of the old fashioned preachers and teachers, laboring as Paul did, with his own hands for a support, and the local poet might have said of him as it did of one who labored with him in the early days of his ministry: (Omitted poem) Mr. Avery died September 26, 1845, surrounded by his family to whom he spoke loving words, and after sending affecting messages to his ministerial brethren and others with whom he had been intimate as a co-laborer. The last words he was heard to utter were, "I have fought a good fight," and peacefully fell asleep. Three sons, R. L. Avery, now residing on the old homestead, A. C. Avery and J. M. Avery, of Clinton, and two daughters, Mrs. Nancy A. Fewell and Mrs. William H. Roberts, still survive him.
AVERY, James Mason
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 496
James M. Avery. Of the early settlers of Henry County, Missouri, no name is more familiar than that of Henry Avery, a brief sketch of whom appears elsewhere. James M.; his son, the president of the First National Bank of Clinton, was born in Henry County June 7th, 1838. His early life was spent on his father's farm, and from 1853 until 1856 he was a student in Murritt College, Spencer, Tennessee. After leaving college he returned home and resumed farming until the outbreak of the war, when he engaged in the horse and mule trade, and continued this business until 1865. He then embarked in the mercantile business in Clinton, in company with Mr. Doyle, the firm name being Avery & Doyle. He was one of the organizers of the Clinton Savings Bank in 1870. This bank was succeeded in February, 1872, by the First National Bank, and for nearly two years Mr. Avery was cashier. In 1875 he commenced the banking business in Moberly, Missouri, the firm being Avery & Woolfolk, and here he continued until 1879, when he returned to Clinton. In 1881 he was elected vice president of the First National Bank, and in 1882 became its president. He was married June 16th, 1865, to Miss Sallie M. Woolfolk, a native of Missouri. They have a family of four children: Ella C., Charles H., Mary B. and Frank M. Mr. and Mrs. Avery are members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. A. holds the office of deacon.
AVERY, Robert Walter
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 760
Photos: Robert Avery Caroline Avery
The Avery family is one of the oldest and best known of the pioneer families in Henry County, their coming to this county dating in the forties. The late Robert W. Avery of Tebo township was a sterling and worthy representative of this old and prominent family. He was born on the old Avery home place in Tebo township June 14, 1851, and was the son of Judge William L. and Sophronia Caroline (Williams) Avery, who were among the earliest of the pioneer families of Henry County. Mr. Avery was reared to young manhood on the parental farm and received a good education in the district school and was brought up to believe in the best principles of good citizenship. During his entire life he practiced the precepts of honesty and high morality taught him by his excellent parents. He always made his home upon the Avery home place and came into possession of this fine farm through inheritance and purchase. He was a successful live stock dealer as well as a splendid farmer, becoming the owner of three hundred and ninety-nine acres of good land in Tebo township. Mr. Avery departed this life April 27, 1907, sincerely mourned throughout the county as a splendid and upright and industrious citizen who left the community a better place in which to live through the example he set of industrious and right living. On December 10, 1884, Mr. Avery was united in marriage with Serena Merritt, and to this union were born five children, as follows: Walter C., Pine Bluff, Arkansas; Sidney R., at home; Lyman L., a soldier in the National Army, was in training at Camp McArthur, Waco, Texas, and is now in France; Susan C., at home. The first son of the family died in infancy, born May 1, 1887. Walter C. was born October 28, 1888, married Miss Ethel Woodard, and has three children, Lucille, Louise, Irene; Sidney R. was born August 7, 1893; Lyman was born March 3, 1896; Susan C. was born February 7, 1902. The mother of the foregoing children was born in Henry County, March 28, 1861, the daughter of Judge Milton B. and Susan A. (Fewel) Merritt, who were parents of ten children. Judge Milton B. Merritt was born in Tennessee, April 27, 1819, and was an early pioneer of Henry County. He served as county judge for a number of years and was one of the best known men of his day in Henry County. He died March 24, 1906. His widow is now living on the old Merritt home place. She is one of the oldest pioneer women in Henry County, if not the oldest; she is well past ninety-three years of age, having been born June 18, 1825. Mrs. Avery was educated in the district schools and the Warrensburg Normal and is a capable and well-informed lady. Mr. Avery was a Democrat but took little active interest in political matters. He was contented to strive and create for his family and his home, his interests in life being mainly with his home and family to whom he was very devoted, no sacrifice being too great and no endeavors being too much for him to attempt in their behalf.
AVERY, Robinson Lafayette
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 628
R. L. Avery, farmer and stock raiser, was born December 12, 1824, in White County, Tennessee, where he also received his education. His parents, Rev. Henry Avery, born October 18, 1793, in Roane County, Tennessee, and Elizabeth (Green) Avery, born November 10, 1798, in Barren County, Kentucky, were married November 10, 1819. They had eight children, five of whom are still living, three sons and two daughters. Henry Avery at the age of nineteen enlisted under General Jackson as a private soldier, and served during the entire war of 1812. He was almost constantly with that general and on very intimate terms with him. He was engaged in general merchandising in Bibb County, Alabama, during the years 1818, 1819 and 1821, and then closing his business, was appointed secretary of state, which office he held for two years. He was for nine years occupied in farming in White County, Tennessee, and then removed to St. Louis, where he remained only a short time, when he went to Morgan County, Missouri. In 1831 he came to Lafayette (now Henry) County, and at that time was the only man that took a paper here, it being the Missouri Republican, published at St. Louis. He pre-empted 160 acres of land in 1831 in Tebo Township, and in 1838 purchased 1,000 acres of the government at $1.25 per acre, and in 1839, 340 more. He was ordained a minister of the gospel in May of 1834 by Revs. Ricketts, Warder and White, and continued to preach as long as strength lasted. He died September 18, 1845. The subject of this sketch soon received 220 acres of the homestead, upon which he commenced farming at the age of twenty-one and he has since that time continued upon it. He was for several years employed in teaching during the winter season and can show the oldest teacher's certificate in the county. He married Miss Venezuela Palmer, daughter of Drury and Mary Palmer, (born January 8th, 1839) December 8th, 1857. By this union there have been six daughters and four sons, of whom three sons and two daughters survive. Mary C., born October 5th, 1858, married David Chipman, of Henry County, December 20th, 1882. Henry F., born January 18th, 1864. Serepta E., born August 27th, 1868. James W., born September 15th, 1870. Robinson E., born November 29th, 1875. Mr. Avery has remained upon the same farm fifty-one years, and was forty years an inmate of the first dwelling house erected in the county. This house, a double log structure, was raised July 18th, 1832, by Drury Palmer, Judge Thomas Arbuckle, Rev. Henry Avery, John Wade, Martin Wade, and Judge William Goff. Mr. Avery has a fine farm, well watered, and is one of the enterprising farmers of this district, dealing quite extensively in stock. He was a Union man during the war and did much to harmonize feeling during that period. Mrs. A. is connected with the Old School Presbyterian Church, and his views are Democratic.