BAILEY, George W.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 512
Photos: Bailey Family
George W. Bailey - For over forty years, George W. Bailey has resided in Walker township and has accumulated a splendid farm of 281 acres. Three farm residences are located upon this large farm, two of which Mr. Bailey erected himself, and also placed all other buildings upon the land. For many years he has been an extensive breeder and feeder of Shorthorn cattle and has about fifty head of cattle on the place at the present time. Of late years, Mr. Bailey has been renting out the greater part of his land. George W. Bailey was born August 4, 1850, in Edgar County, Illinois, the son of George W. Bailey (born 1800, died 1861). Mr. Bailey, Sr., came to Missouri in 1857, and located upon a pioneer farm, three miles northwest of the present home of his son. He was shot down by guerrillas at the beginning of the Civil War because of his Union sympathies. He was taken from his home in company with his son James and shot down by a band of Southern men. Seven children were left fatherless: W. T., deceased; Mrs. Frances Holsten, deceased; John, deceased; Mrs. Amanda Paxton, Independence, Missouri; Mrs. Serena Lane, deceased; Mrs. Mary Laylock, Gentry County, Missouri; George W., youngest son of the family. The mother of these children was Julia Howard, prior to her marriage. She was born in 1814 and died in 1877. In 1863, she took her family and went to Cooper County, Missouri, and in the following spring they settled on a farm in Morgan County, where they resided until the spring of 1865. They then located on a farm southwest of Warrensburg in Johnson County. In the fall of that year they returned to the homestead in Henry County. George W. Bailey, subject of this review, remained at home until 1875 and then settled on a farm one mile east of his present home and resided there for three years. He then purchased his farm, buying it on time payments. He secured eighty acres of land from his father-in-law and later added forty acres to the original place. He bought an additional tract of land in 1910. Mr. Bailey was married in November, 1874, to Miss Margaret A. Long, who was born in Henry County, January 17, 1857, a daughter of Nicholas Long, a pioneer of this county who came from Miller County in 1854 and became owner of two thousand acres of land. Three children have been born to George W. and Margaret Bailey, two of whom died in infancy. Henry Bailey, their only son, is located on a farm, three miles southwest of his father's home. He was born October 1, 1875, and has been twice married. His first marriage was with Daisy Tinsley, who bore him five children. Frank, deceased; Roy, George Alexander, Joseph Haven, and Tina. His second marriage was with Miss Bettie Stone. Mrs. Bailey is a Republican and is a member of the Baptist Church. He is one of the substantial citizens of Henry County.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 876
James Baker - Residing on his eighty-acre farm east of Leesville, almost in the heart of the timbered country which lies adjacent to the village, is James Baker, for years the "Blacksmith of Leesville." Mr. Baker is a native of Missouri and was born in Monroe County, August 31, 1844, the son of William and Ruth (Standiford) Baker, natives of Kentucky and Missouri, respectively. William Baker was a cabinet maker by trade, whose parents were pioneers of Monroe County. He settled at White Sulphur Springs, St. Clair County, Missouri, in 1845, and in 1861 came to Leesville, where he plied his trade of skilled cabinet maker until after the Civil War, when he located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until his death. He was father of four children: W. P., Mary, and Francis, deceased; James, subject of this sketch, is the only survivor of the family. The mother of these children departed this life in 1849. After her death, some time later, William Baker married Elizabeth Goff, and to this marriage were born children as follow: Louisa, deceased; John M., Garden City, Missouri; Thomas, Henry, and George, deceased; Mrs. Sarah Carlton, Colorado; Mrs. Nora Acock, Benton County, Missouri. On August 26, 1864, James Baker enlisted in Company A, 45th Missouri Infantry, and served for six months in Missouri. In 1873 Mr. Baker was married to Miss Margaret A. Hay, born in 1854, in Osage County, Missouri, the daughter of Benjamin and Jane Hay, who removed to Iowa in 1854 and resided in that territory until 1858, when they returned to Missouri, but later went again to Iowa in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are parents of three children: Mrs. Attelia Province, living near Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri; Lincoln, operates the Baker blacksmith and wagon shop in Leesville; George is at home with his parents. Mrs. Province has borne children as follow: Jacob died at the age of fourteen years; Florence and Elva, who died at the age of six years. Lincoln Baker has three children living. One died in infancy. The others are: Frieda, Norene and Olive. James Baker established a blacksmith shop and wagon shop in Leesville in 1865, which has become one of the old landmarks in eastern Henry County. He plied his trade for a period of thirty-five years and then retired to his farm, turning over the management of the shop to his son. He is living serenely content and well taken care of by his faithful and competent wife, who is one of the most intelligent and capable women in the county, as well as being a splendid cook and housekeeper. He is a Republican and he and Mrs. Baker are members of the Christian church. He is a member of Dan McCook Post, Grand Army of the Republic. The Baker home is a pleasant one and hospitality is the keynote of the home life of the Bakers.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 553
John Baker, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Anderson County, Tennessee, in February, 1811. His father, Christopher Baker, was born in 1799, in North Carolina, and married Miss Sally Kelly, who was born in 1802, in Virginia. They were married in 1820, in East Tennessee, and by this union had seven children, of whom John is the only surviving child. His mother died in Tennessee after having suffered intensely for fifteen years, and her husband died from the effects of a fall not long before the civil war. The subject of this sketch was married August 12, 1831, to Miss Eleanor Graves, of Knox County, Tennessee. To them were born eight daughters and four sons: Polly Ann (who married Adolph Pulaski, of Henry County, Missouri, and now a resident of Windsor); Louisa (who married Henry Pulaski, of Henry County); William Kelsaw (died in 1851); Sopha Jane (wife of John Carman, of Benton County, Missouri); Christopher A. (who married Miss Mary Hart, of Benton County; they have three daughters living; he is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church); John Jefferson (who married Miss Harriet Hunt, of Henry County); Harriet (now Mrs. Jacob Wright, of Bates County); Nancy F. (wife of William Allen, of Benton County); Sarah (who married Isaiah Swisher, of Pettis County), and Missouri (who married James Swisher, of this county. Mr. Baker emigrated from Tennessee to Henry County, Missouri, in 1835, entering at first 160 acres of land, and later 80 acres more. He then bought 160 acres, to which he soon added 100 acres, and subsequently he purchased another 40 acres. He and his son Christopher own jointly 200 acres on section 12. They are both Republicans politically.
BALDWIN, Thomas H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 605
Thomas H. Baldwin was born in Prince Edward County, Virginia, May 9, 1836, being the son of Samuel and Susan Baldwin, also natives of Virginia. Thomas H. spent his youth in his native county on the farm, and upon reaching his majority he went to Kentucky, locating in Logan County, where he was married January 7, 1858, to Miss Mary E. Clark, of that county, and a daughter of John T. Clark. After his marriage Mr. B. continued his farming operations in Logan County, for about ten years. In the fall of 1868 he came to Missouri, bought land in Henry County and improved his present farm, which contains 132 acres, 117 in his home place on section 34, being well improved. His orchard consists of 100 apple and some budded peach trees, besides smaller fruits. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have eight children: Sarah Emma, Mary Ann, Samuel T., James H., Ervin B., Virginia F., Micagah T. and Cassie.
BANTA, Christopher C.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 783
C. C. Banta was born in Cole County, Missouri, (now Moniteau) January 1, 1833, and is the third in a family of twelve children of whom eight are now living. His father was Henry Banta, and his mother's maiden name was Fanny Don Carlos, of Spanish descent. Her father was a soldier of the revolutionary struggle, and fought in the battle of Cowpens. In 1848 his parents came to Henry County and settled on Tebo, where they lived until 1861, then emigrating to the Pacific Coast, where they are still living. In 1852 Mr. Banta went to California and remained there until 1857, engaged in mining and lumbering. On his return to Missouri he settled on a farm. During a portion of the war he served in the militia. In 1866 he settled on his present farm, which consists of 640 acres, in a good state of cultivation. He is largely engaged in stock raising. Mr. Banta was married in Cooper County June 28, 1859, to Miss Mary Smith, a native of Cole County. They have four children living: Christopher C., William Sherman, Mary Frances and Artie. His niece, Bettie Banta is also a member of his family. Mr. Banta is a man of liberal views and is much interested in education, showing his interest by giving his children the advantages of the best schools in the state. His wife is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
BARBER, Harry A.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 840
Harry A. Barber, extensive landowner of Windsor township, is a progressive farmer and stockman who believes in the most advanced methods of agriculture and finds that it pays to follow the latest and most scientific methods of farming. His herd of pure bred Shorthorn cattle are famous over the State of Missouri and have been exhibited at the State Fairs and the American Royal Live Stock Shows and are sold in various parts of the country to discriminating buyers who desire to improve their herds with pure bred live stock. The Barber farm consists of 1,400 acres of land in one body, the imposing farm residence occupying an ideal spot in the center of the tract. Originally, the Barber place was an old time plantation, operated by slaves and owned by Doctor Thornton, a well known Henry County pioneer of ante-bellum days. Doctor Thornton was one of the largest slave owners of southwest Missouri and the great farm was modeled after a southern plantation. He owned over two hundred slaves. In 1900 Mr. Barber erected a thoroughly modern home of twelve rooms. The Barber estate was founded by the late Daniel Barber, father of Harry A. Barber. Daniel A. Barber was born in Pennsylvania in 1825 and died in Henry County, Missouri, in 1881. He was the son of Thomas Barber, a farmer of Pennsylvania. Daniel A. Barber left home in 1861 and went to Cook County, Illinois, where he engaged in the lumber business. For many years he was associated with his brother, Dr. James K. Barber. The brothers drove a large herd of cattle to Denver, Colorado, in 1864 and again drove cattle to the mountain country in 1865. They returned from the west in 1866, came to Henry County, Missouri, and purchased the Thornton plantation. The brothers farmed together as partners until death separated them. Dr. James K. Barber was a well educated physician but did not practice his profession after coming to Henry County. After his graduation from medical college in the East he had but ten cents in his pocket. He traded a silk vest for a bottle of quinine and began practice in the forest wilds of Wisconsin, where ague, fever and chills were the prevalent diseases. All that an early doctor needed in those days was quinine, whiskey, salts and ipecac and Doctor Barber began with the most important drug. Sarah E. (Martin) Barber, mother of the subject of this review, was born in Michigan in 1829 and died in 1912. Harry A. Barber was born October 21, 1872, on the Barber home place in Windsor township. He was educated in the public schools of Windsor, Missouri, and the Missouri State University at Columbia, Missouri. He pursued the medical course at the university but because of his large land holdings he found it necessary to abandon his plan for a professional career and to devote all of his attention to farming and stock raising. He has made an unqualified success as an agriculturist and stockman and breeder. In addition to the home place which Mr. Barber inherited he has been adding materially to the acreage of the farm and constantly improving the place. In February, 1897, Harry A. Barber and Miss Lula A. Ball were united in marriage. Mrs. Lula Barber was born in St. Charles County, Missouri, and is the daughter of John E. and Fannie (Bird) Ball, natives of Kentucky. To Harry A. and Lula Barber has been born one son, John Daniel Barber, born December 12, 1898, a graduate of the Windsor High School and now a student in the State University at Columbia. Mr. Barber is a Democrat in politics.
BARBER, James K. Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 554
Dr. James K. Barber, farmer and stock raiser was born in Montour County, Pennsylvania, June 20, 1836, and was the son of Thomas and Mary (Henderson) Barber, both of whom were natives of Columbia County, Pennsylvania, where they also died. They were married in 1821, and by this union had eight children, of whom six are living - three sons and three daughters. For three years James K. Barber was a student at the McCowansville Academy, of Pennsylvania, his preceptor being S. S. Shadelin. Subsequently he entered the medical college of Jefferson, same state, the faculty being composed of R. M. Huston, professor of materia medica; Professor Charles Meigs, of obstetrics; Professor Thomas Mutter, of surgery; Professor J. Paneost, of anatomy; Professor Rolby Dungleson, of physiology, and Professor Charles Bache, of chemistry. He graduated in 1849, and in 1851, commenced practicing at Mansfield, Ohio. His younger brother, Daniel A. Barber was born in April 15, 1838, in Columbia County, Pennsylvania. He received a good common education and supplemented this with one year's attendance at the institution known as the Jersey Shore Academy. Upon leaving their native state these brothers emigrated first to Illinois, coming thence to Henry County, Missouri, about the year 1869, and for fourteen years they have been recognized as among the foremost men of the community. They jointly own 970 acres of land, well adapted to grazing and stock purposes, and their average product of corn, 120 acres, is fed to a large drove of cattle. They handle hogs and Cotswold sheep extensively, and are acknowledged leaders in the stock industry here. Their farm is undulating, well watered, and the buildings upon the place are not to be excelled. Dr. Barber had a lucrative practice in Mansfield, Ohio, and for fifteen years was a skilled practitioner of decided ability, but since residing in this county, has found but little time to follow this profession, his attention being devoted to his landed property. In politics he is republican. Daniel A. Barber was married October 10, 1870, to Miss Sarah E. Martin of Henry County. They have one child, a son. In his political preferences he is democratic.
BARKER, Benjamin E.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 661
Benjamin Barker, farmer and stock raiser, section 9, was born in Kent County, Delaware, in 1820, and was the son of John and Marion (French) Barker, who were natives of Delaware. Benjamin grew to manhood in his native state, and received a common school education. In August, 1842, he came to Henry County, Missouri, where he has since resided, following farming as his occupation. His estate contains 700 acres of level land, in a high state of cultivation. July 31, 1851, Mr. Barker was married to Miss Mary Martin, originally from North Carolina. She died March 31, 1871, leaving one child, John R., who was born in Henry County, Missouri, April 10, 1852. John R. Barker was married November 27, 1879, to Miss Ella Casey, a daughter of George M. Casey. She was born January 7, 1860, in this county.
BARLOW, John N.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 496
John N. Barlow, of the firm of Bolinger & Barlow, grocers, owes his nativity to Belmont County, Ohio, where he was born October 5, 1842. He there grew up and received his education, and at the age of seventeen years he moved to Warren County, Illinois, where he was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Berwick for about two years. He was subsequently interested in business at Burlington, Iowa, till the fall of 1862, when he came to Calhoun, Henry County, as sutler's clerk with the First Iowa Regiment. After remaining there a short time he was occupied in the same business at Clinton, Missouri, and also as clerk for Mr. Rogers till 1863, when he returned to Bloomington, Ohio. After remaining there eight months, he again came to Clinton, in April, 1864, and for the following eighteen months, gave his attention to mercantile pursuits. In April, 1866, he was appointed county clerk, and held that office by appointment and election till January, 1871, then serving as deputy county clerk till January, 1875. In 1876 he was elected constable of this township and served two years. In the fall of 1877, he with Mr. Flumer commenced in the grain business, and in February 1879, he became deputy postmaster, which position he held till September, 1880, then embarking in the grocery business. Mr. Barlow was united in marriage January 1, 1862, to Miss Ellen A. Whitenack, a native of Illinois. They have one child, Johanna P.
BARNETT, William F.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 698
William F. Barnett, section 6, is among the thrifty farmers of Big Creek Township. He is a native of Johnson County, Missouri, and was born February 21, 1849, being the son of George H. Barnett, a Kentuckian by birth, who came to Missouri when a young man and located in Johnson County, where he entered land and improved a farm. He married Miss Mary F. Strange, also originally from Kentucky, and there continued to reside on his farm until his death in 1859. William F. Barnett grew to manhood in the county of his birth, spending his youth on a farm. He was married there November 1, 1874, to Miss Anna E. Satterwhite, a daughter of John Satterwhite and a native of Virginia. Mrs. Barrett was born and reared in Johnson County. After his marriage Mr. B. farmed in that vicinity for about two and a half years, and in March, 1877, he came to Henry County and bought the farm where he now resides. He has over 227 acres of land in fair cultivation, with a young orchard, and is now feeding sixty head of cattle and 150 hogs. Mr. and Mrs. Barnett have four children: Dora May, Daniel E., John H. and William. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. at Norris.
BARR, Bernice Barks Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 662
B. B. Barr is a prominent physician and surgeon at Shawnee Mound. The subject of this sketch was born in Henry County, Missouri, January 4, 1857. His father, William T. Barr, was a native of Tennessee and a son of Robert Barr, originally of the same state. His father, Patrick Barr, was a native of Ireland. When B. B. was four years old his father went to Tennessee, where he grew to manhood, being educated in the schools of Gallatin. When twenty years old he entered the office of Dr. J. B. Heard, of Gallatin, Tennessee, with whom he read medicine for three years. In 1878 he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, and in 1880 was a student at the Bellevue Medical College, of New York, graduating from there in March, 1881. Since that time he has practiced his chosen profession at Shawnee Mound. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and also belongs to the I. O. O. F. order. September 15, 1881, the doctor was married to Miss Maggie Squires, of this county.
BARR, Bernice Barks Dr.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 308
Dr. Bernice B. Barr, with thorough preparatory training in the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore and the Bellevue Medical College of New York City, entered upon the practice of his profession well equipped for the onerous duties that have devolved upon him in this connection. He was born in Benton County, Missouri, January 4, 1857, and is a son of William T. and Elizabeth M. (Wilson) Barr, who were natives of Tennessee. The father, who made farming his life work, came to Missouri in 1850, settling in Benton County, where he lived for about six years. He then removed to Henry County, establishing his home near Montrose, where he resided until 1861, when he returned to his native State. He had a short time before entered the Confederate army under General Price and fearing to leave his family in Missouri he took them to Tennessee. There he joined the forces under Gen. John Morgan, with whom he served until Morgan was killed. Mr. Barr continued in the army until the close of the war and was never wounded, but was captured several times and released. After the war was over he engaged in farming in Tennessee until his death, which occurred in the year 1894. He had for five years survived his wife, who passed away in 1889. Dr. Barr was the third son and the third child in a family of six children. He attended school at Gallatin, Tennessee, and, having determined upon the practice of medicine as a life work, attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Baltimore. He graduated from the Bellevue Medical College at New York in March, 1880, and has since taken post-graduate work, while throughout his professional career he has remained a close student of the science of medicine. Following his graduation in 1880 he began practicing at Shawnee Mound, in Henry County, where he remained for five years. He then went to Montrose, in the same county, spending eight years there. On the expiration of that period he went to Clinton, where he has since practiced continuously, devoting his entire time to his profession, the duties of which he discharges with a sense of conscientious obligation that prompts him to put forth the best possible effort, not only to alleviate suffering, but also to promote his efficiency through further study and research. He is a member of the Henry County Medical Society, the State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and through the meetings of those organizations keeps in touch with the trend of modern scientific thought in the field of medical and surgical practice. On the fifteenth of September, 1881, Dr. Barr was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Squires, who was born at Calhoun, Henry County, Missouri, a daughter of Jerome B. and Cynthia (McNealey) Squires, the former a native of Calhoun and the latter of Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri. In early life the father engaged in merchandising and continued in that business until a few years prior to his death, which occurred in 1901. His wife passed away in 1906. Dr. and Mrs. Barr became the parents of four children, one of whom died when one and one-half years old. The others are: Ella Bernice, Robert W. and Herbert M. Robert was graduated from the West Point Military Academy in 1910 and remained in the army for three years when he resigned in order to look after his wife's estate. He enlisted as a volunteer in the National Army in September, 1917, was commissioned as captain and went to Fort Benjamin Harrison. In November, 1917, he was commissioned as major of artillery in the Three Hundred Forty-second Field Artillery and sent to Fort Riley December 1, 1917. Major Barr became ill on December 14, 1917, and has been seriously ill since, and is now in Colorado for his health, although still a major. He is now the owner of large landed interests near Clinton. Herbert M., residing at Kansas City, is in the employ of the wholesale jewelry house of C. B. Norton. The twin brother of Herbert died at the age above mentioned, of pneumonia. Dr. Barr gives his political allegiance to the Democratic party and is active in its support. He has served as county coroner and for three terms has been alderman from his ward, exercising his official prerogatives in support of many progressive public measures. He belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America and the Woodmen of the World, and his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Presbyterian Church. Nearly his entire life has been spent in Missouri and those who know him - and he has a wide acquaintance - entertain for him warm friendship, not only because of his high professional skill, but also by reason of his many excellent traits of character and those social qualities which make for personal popularity.
Germantown, Deepwater Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 437
Anton Bartels, proprietor of a splendid farm of 322 acres located in the Germantown neighborhood in the northwest part of Deepwater township, was born in 1861 in a log cabin which stood on the farm which he now owns. He is the son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Kleine) Bartels, both of whom were born in Germany. Joseph Bartels made a settlement in Henry County as early as 1853, or thereabout, and departed this life in 1869. After the death of his parents, Anton Bartels lived with the neighbors and friends and worked out by the day at whatever he could get to do and earn an honest dollar. For over thirty years he was employed in Kansas City and returned to the old home farm in 1912. For sixteen years he served as baggageman in the union depot at Kansas City and for ten years he was in the employ of the William Voelker Wholesale Company of Kansas City. During the thirty years spent in steady, constant employment, he saved his money and invested it in the old home place of his father in Deepwater township and additional land. In 1912 he returned to his birthplace and is contented to live the life of an agriculturist and stockman, independent of the time clocks and the bosses for the rest of his natural life. Mr. Bartels was married July 16, 1912, to Miss Geraldine Black, an orphan girl, who was born May 9, 1892, and came to Missouri when three years of age, living first at Montrose and later at Germantown. Mr. and Mrs. Bartels have one child: Virgil Anton, born December 6, 1917. Mr. Bartels is an independent voter who is not held by the party fetish worship idea. He thinks and acts for himself and votes accordingly. He and Mrs. Bartels are members of the Catholic Church.
BARTH, David S.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 528
Photos: Barth Home Barth Farm
David Barth, a progressive young farmer and stockman of White Oak township, is a native of Henry County, and a descendant of pioneer parents. He was born in White Oak township on the place where he now resides, September 16, 1897, and is a son of John Barth, a Henry County pioneer. John Barth, now deceased, was an early settler in Henry County, and one of its successful citizens. He was a native of Germany and settled in White Oak Township, Henry County, in 1868. He bought some land here for six dollars per acre, and paid fourteen dollars for other land. He bought considerable land and at the time of his death was one of the largest land owners in the county. He gave to each of his fourteen children one hundred sixty acres of land, and besides his real estate holdings he was the owner of over thirty thousand dollars worth of personal property. John Barth's success in life was the result of industry, coupled with keen foresight and business ability. When he was a boy he worked for fourteen cents per day, and his early life's experience taught him the value of a dollar. He was one of the promoters of the town of Urich and contributed land for the railroad there. He was twice married. Five children were born to his first marriage and ten to his second. He died June 6, 1917, and his second wife, who bore the maiden name of Sophia Rombold, died May 26, 1911. Sophia Rombold was born July 3, 1858, at Logansport, Md., and was a daughter of David and Frances Rombold, natives of Wittenberg, Germany, who moved to Henry County in 1867. His first wife bore the maiden name of Lebold. David Barth, who resides on the old home place with his sisters, Josie and Tressie, owns one hundred eighty acres. He carries on a stock-raising extensively and keeps registered Herford cattle and big bone Poland China hogs, and is one of the extensive breeders of registered hogs in Henry County. He is also interested in the breeding of Shropshire sheep. David Barth was reared on the place which he now owns, and he takes an active interest in everything pertaining to modern agricultural methods. While he was reared a practical farmer, he also regards the science as one involving a broad field of experiment and research, and the future agricultural industry of this country becomes more and more dependent upon the type of men of whom David Barth is a representative.
BARTH, Edward W.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 693
Edward W. Barth, a progressive young farmer and stockman of White Oak township, was born in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1892. He is the eldest son of John W. and Lena (Gretzinger) Barth, and a grandson of John Barth, a pioneer of White Oak township. A sketch of John Barth with more extended mention of the Barth family history appears in this volume. Edward Barth attended school in the district school and later the Urich High School and then took a course in Central College at Fayette, Missouri. He then taught school for two years, when he engaged in farming, which he has since followed. He has a farm of eighty acres of valuable land, which is located three and one-half miles south of Urich in White Oak township. Since owning this place Mr. Barth has made many improvements and now has one of the fine farms of western Henry County. Mr. Barth was married September 11, 1916, to Miss Alma Bradley, a daughter of J. L. and Anna (Eaton) Bradley of Walker township, Henry County. Mrs. Barth was one of four children born to her parents as follows: William, resides at Towanda, Kansas; Mrs. Effie Mehlhop, Dexter, New Mexico; Alma, the wife of Edward Barth, the subject of this sketch, and Earl, who resides at home with his parents. To Mr. and Mrs. Barth has been born one child, Dorothy Mae, born December 21, 1917. Mr. Barth is an industrious and hardworking young man and realizes that success is not an accident, and comes through diligence and honest toil. He is one of the young farmers and stockmen of Henry County who is making good.
BARTH, George R.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 682
George Barth, a well-known farmer and stockman of White Oak township, is a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Henry County. He was born in Henry County, April 21, 1886, and is a son of John and Sophia (Rombold) Barth, pioneers of White Oak township. The former died June 6, 1917, and the latter departed this life May 26, 1911. They were the parents of the following children: Albert, Urich, Missouri; Maggie, died in childhood; Mrs. Clara Sevier, Urich, Missouri; Josie; George, the subject of this sketch; Tressie; Mrs. Ida Henny, Urich, Missouri; Robert, Urich, Missouri; Walter, and David, who lives on the old home place. Sophia Rombold was the second wife of John Barth. His first wife bore the maiden name of Mary Lebold and the following children were born to that union: John W., Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Dora Gretzinger, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Helen Doll; Mrs. Lizzie Doll, and Jacob Barth. George Barth was reared on a farm and received his education in the district schools of White Oak township. He remained on the home farm with his father until he was twenty-five years of age; he then engaged in farming on his own account on the place where he now resides, which was originally a part of the John Barth estate. Mr. Barth is an extensive farmer and recognized as one of the successful stock raisers of Henry County. He raises Duroc Jersey hogs, Red Poll cattle and has some of the valuable pure-bred hogs and cattle of the county. Mr. Barth was united in marriage March 19, 1911, with Miss Floy Long, a daughter of William and Mollie Long of Walker township. The Long family reside in Walker township. To William and Mollie Long have been born the following: Mrs. Annie Carver, Deepwater, Missouri; Alonzo, Walker township; Mrs. Florence North, White Oak township; Stephen, lives in Walker township; Floy, the wife of George Barth, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Nelia Hargrave, Walker township, and Ethel, at home. To Mr. and Mrs. Barth have been born two children, daughters, Frances and Roberta. Mr. Barth is one of the substantial citizens of Henry County, and he and his wife are prominent in the community.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 504
Photos: John & Sophia Barth Maria Lebold Barth
Few pioneer citizens have contributed more to the building up of Henry County than the late John Barth. To the credit of this worthy departed citizen of this county are many things which can be recorded in the annals of his adopted country. Besides the amassing of wealth, he was a creator and builder, who looked far into the future. Mr. Barth contributed to the commonwealth, one of the largest and best families in the community. The children of this pioneer, instead of leaving the locality of their births and rearing, chose to remain under the tutelage of a good and wise parent who thoughtfully provided for them a place in the community rather than to see them venture into fields unknown. He lived to see them comfortably situated and earning their way on excellent farms throughout the vicinity of their early home. His liberality to religious and civic works was a proverb; his kindliness was marked and his name will long be revered and respected among the people of Henry County as one who did well his work and who left behind him a record of which his descendants may well be proud. John Barth was born in Wertemberg, Germany, January 10, 1838, and died at his home near Lucas, Missouri, June 6, 1917. When a lad of fourteen years of age he came to America and was reared to young manhood in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. During his boyhood days he worked hard and often for a wage of fourteen cents per day. His early life's experiences taught him the value of a dollar. He was married in Ohio to Maria Lebold, on September 21, 1862. This marriage was blessed with five children, as follow: John W., Mrs. Dora Gretzinger, Mrs. Helen Doll, Mrs. Lizzie Doll, and Jacob S. Barth. Mrs. Maria Lebold Barth died January 12, 1874. On November 4, 1875, Mr. Barth was married to Sophia Rombold, who died May 27, 1911. Ten children were born of this marriage; nine of whom are living: Albert H., Maggie, deceased; Mrs. Clara Sevier, Josie, George, Tressie, Mrs. Ida Henny, Robert, Walter, and David. Mr. Barth left his Ohio home and came to Henry County in 1868, settling in this county. The beginning of the Barth family fortunes in Missouri was a gift of a tract of 487 acres of land which came from John Lebold, father of Mrs. Maria Lebold Barth. Mr. Lebold had previously invested in this land which was unimproved and was bought at a time when much of the area of northwestern Henry County was undeveloped prairie. Mr. and Mrs. Barth soon created a home in Henry County and prospered as the years passed, John Barth becoming one of the large land owners of western Missouri and a prominent and influential figure in the life of the county. Mr. Barth first settled in White Oak township and in later years erected a splendid farm home which is now owned by his youngest son, David Barth. During his long and active career he accumulated an estate of over 2,280 acres of land, all of which he divided among his fourteen children as they became of age and desired to make homes of their own. His estate was valued at over $100,000. Mr. Barth was one of the promoters of the town of Urich and gave land for a part of the Urich townsite. He was president of the Farmers Bank of Urich, and was always found in the forefront of all worthy movements tending to advance the interests of his home community and county. Mr. Barth was a Lutheran in his religious belief and he was known as an honest, dependable, and upright citizen. His place in the history of Henry County is assured for all time to come as one of the pioneers who had a broad and comprehensive vision of the development of this section of the Middle West and who profited through his confidence in the ultimate prosperity of the neighborhood in which he created his home.
BARTH, John William
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 694
John W. Barth, successful farmer and stockman of Walker township, and a leader in his section of the county in both civic and political movements, is a native son of Henry County. Mr. Barth was born near Zoar Station, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1866, and is the eldest son of John and Mary Lebold Barth, earlier pioneer settlers of Henry County. A complete biography of John Barth appears elsewhere in this volume. John Barth became one of Henry County's most successful and influential citizens, owner of a large tract of land, and was widely and favorably known throughout the county. John W. Barth accompanied his parents to Henry County in childhood and was here reared to manhood and educated in the district school of his home neighborhood in White Oak township. He began during his boyhood days to "follow the plow" and learned the vocation of agriculturist and stockman from his capable father. Re received as his share of the Lebold estate a tract of ninety-six acres, which was one-fifth of 487 acres which had been given to John and Mary Lebold Barth by the father of Mrs. Barth, who had invested in this land prior to the advent of the Barths in western Missouri. Mr. Barth improved this tract, which is located in Walker township and has added to his holdings until he now owns a total of two hundred and forty acres. He is extensively engaged in stock raising and is recognized as one of the successful citizens of Henry County. In 1891, John W. Barth and Miss Lena Gretzinger were united in marriage. This marriage has been blessed with the following children: Edward W., born December 5, 1892, residing on a farm in White Oak township; Amelia H., born April 7, 1894, and died in 1905; Mary M., born March 9, 1897; Clarence C., born June 11, 1899. Mrs. Lena (Gretzinger) Barth was born near Zoar Station, Tuscarawas County, Ohio, in 1866, and is the daughter of Jacob and Magdalena Gretzinger, who spent all of their days in Ohio. In addition to his farming interests, Mr. Barth is president of the Farmers' Bank of Urich, Missouri, and is active in public affairs. He is a Democrat and is leader in his township of all movements furthering America's cause in the World War. He is serving as bond sales director in Walker township. He and Mrs. Barth and the members of his family are affiliated with the White Oak Methodist Episcopal Church.
BARTH, Robert Lewis
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 692
Robert Barth, a successful young farmer and stockman of White Oak township, and a member of one of the pioneer families of Henry County, is a native of this county. He was born in White Oak township November 28, 1892, and is a son of John and Saphrona (Rombold) Barth. A sketch of John Barth and further mention of the history of the Barth family appears in this volume. Robert Barth was reared on the farm in White Oak township, and received his education in the district schools of Henry County. Farming and stock raising has been his occupation since boyhood, and he has a valuable farm of one hundred sixty acres, which is located about two and one-half miles southeast of Urich in White Oak township. This place was formerly known as the Henny place and is a well-improved farm and under a high state of cultivation. In addition to general farming. Mr. Barth is making a success of raising cattle and hogs. On March 3, 1915, Mr. Barth was united in marriage with Miss Mabel Goodman, a daughter of Benjamin and Bessie (Harris) Goodman. The Goodman family came from Ohio in 1888, and settled in Henry County. Mabel Barth is a native of Henry County, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Goodman now reside in White Oak township and the following children have been born to them: Mabel, wife of Robert Barth, the subject of this sketch; Myrtle, died at the age of two years; Georgia, Roy and Floyd reside at home with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Barth are well known in the community and popular with the young people of Henry County.
BARTH, Walter A.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 682
Walter Barth, a progressive young farmer and stockman of White Oak township, is a native son of Henry County and a member of one of the pioneer families of this section. He was born in White Oak township February 18, 1895, a son of John and Sophia (Rombold) Barth. The parents were among the pioneer settlers of White Oak township and are both now deceased. They were the parents of the following children: Albert, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Clara Sevier, Urich, Missouri; Josie, resides on the home place; George, farmer and stockman of White Oak township; Tressie, resides on the home place; Mrs. Ida Henny, White Oak township; Robert, Lucas, Missouri; Walter, the subject of this sketch, and David, who resides on the home place. Walter Barth was educated in the Lucas schools and remained at home with his parents until he was twenty-one years old. He located on his present place, one and one-half miles southwest of Lucas, in 1916. Here he has a valuable farm of one hundred sixty acres, with good improvements and well stocked. He specializes in Hereford cattle and Poland China hogs, and is making a success of his undertaking. Mr. Barth was married February 20, 1916, to Miss Elsie Gaines, daughter of Charles S. and Cora Hibler Gaines. Mrs. Barth's mother has been dead a number of years, and her father now resides at Urich. Mr. and Mrs. Barth are popular young people and have a broad acquaintance in Henry County. Mr. Barth is a Democrat in politics. He and Mrs. Barth are members of the Lucas Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 555
Edwin Bass, deceased, was born in Boone County, Missouri, February 23, 1827. His father, Lawrence Bass, originally from Baltimore, Maryland, moved to Tennessee and then to Boone County, Missouri. His mother was formerly Nancy Patten, of North Carolina. They were married in Nashville, Tennessee. Edwin was the twelfth of a family of thirteen children. After working faithfully on his father's farm until seventeen years of age, and attending school winters, he entered a store in Nashville, Missouri, where he acquired a knowledge of general trade, and after remaining here for three years or more he left and obtained a situation on a Missouri River boat as clerk, which position he held for one season. He then opened a store in Nashville, but soon sold out, and in the spring of 1850 started a store in Claysville, Boone County. His business was carried on very successfully until the fall of 1865, when he came to Windsor and before long he was a leading merchant and one of the most respected citizens here. He married Miss Mary Jane Spencer in January, 1856. She was the daughter of Perry Spencer, of Boone County, who was born in Maryland. Her mother's maiden name was Eliza Jane Wiseman, daughter of James Wiseman, of Virginia. She died in 1845. Edwin Bass, the subject of this sketch, died at his home October 15, 1882. Politically he was a Democrat, and an exemplary member of the M. E. Church, south. In 1865, upon removing his family to Windsor, he purchased the hotel property, now known as the Bass house, from Samuel Duncan. In the same year he opened a store under the firm name of Bass & Major, on the place where the present brick structure now stands. In 1866 or 1867, he purchased the entire stock and store and in 1868 he sold the stock to Aaron Saunders, who failed, and he was obliged to re-purchase it. In the fall of 1868 he disposed of the stock of goods to the Tryon Brothers, who occupied the house until 1869. During the seasons of 1868-9 he employed much of his time in improving a new farm, two miles east of Windsor, which he owned at the time of his death. In the spring of 1869 he again engaged in the mercantile business, under the firm name of A. J. Bass & Co. A. J. Bass sold his interest eighteen months later, and the new firm was formed by Edwin Bass and J. S. Kelly, Bass & Kelly. Under this new management business prospered, and in 1874 they erected the present two story brick store, 24x70, which is a fine building. Mr. Bass was a life long Christian, his membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, commencing from his early boyhood. He was a zealous worker, always active in the local organizations, where he made his home, as church steward and Sunday School superintendent. He contributed liberally to all church work and the spread of the gospel. He was a friend to the poor and bestowed charity upon those in need, and in his death the county lost one of its most esteemed men, and Windsor one of its most valued citizens. Edward Spencer, brother of Mrs. Bass, came to Windsor in 1870, and has since made his home with his sister. He was born in Boone County in 1825. He learned the carpenter's trade in youth, and has ever done much in the building line. Since coming to this place he has spent much of his time in the store.
BASS, James Harvey
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 556
James Harvey Bass, stock dealer and proprietor of the Bass House, was born in Howard County, Missouri, in June, 1834. His father, George P. Bass, who was born in Nashville, Tennessee, died in Howard County in, 1863. He came to Boone County as an early pioneer and established a tannery, which he carried on for many years. The mother of James, formerly Susanna M. Wiseman and a native of Kentucky, is now living in Boone County. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm and received a common school education, and learned the plastering trade. He worked some on the farm and at plastering in the fall seasons, and in 1861 he became a member of the Home Guards. Coming to Henry County in 1867, he settled twelve miles west of Windsor on a farm, working the farm and also doing the plastering for the country around about. He married Mrs. Elizabeth (Woolfolk) Wall December 16, 1868. She had two sons by her first husband, Eugene E. and Julius F. Julius F. married Miss Katie Burress, of Windsor, July 8, 1882. Mrs. Bass' first husband, Julius F. Wall, was killed at the battle of Lone Jack August 16, 1862. He was with Colonel Cockrell's regiment. Her father, Charles T. Woolfolk, was born in Virginia, but was raised in Kentucky. His father was John Woolfolk, a Virginian by birth and of English descent and a soldier in the revolution. Her mother was originally Polly A. Payne, of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Bass have four daughters: Katie Woolfolk, Sallie P., Mary Ella and Bessie Lewis. In 1869 Mr. Bass commenced the stock business and has made it his principal occupation since then. In 1876 he went to Texas with his family and started a sheep ranch in Comanche County with his brother, Lawrence. They continued it for four years. Selling out, he returned to his farm near Windsor, but soon disposed of this and moved into town. As the stock business was his favorite calling, he immediately commenced operations in company with Jacob Strauss, and since that time they have been the leading buyers in town. They are members of the Baptist Church and he belongs to the Masonic fraternity. Mr. Bass has been a very fortunate business man and accumulated a large property. He is liberal in the support of schools, churches and the different enterprises of the city. Mrs. Bass has charge of the hotel and is proving herself to be a most capable and energetic woman.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 586
Fred Batschelet - Fifty-six years ago, Fred Batschelet, pioneer settler and large land owner of Davis township, left the old home of his parents in Switzerland and crossed the ocean to America in search of fortune and a permanent home. After some years, he found what he was desiring in Henry County, Missouri, and besides having accumulated a fortune in land and money, he has contributed one of the largest families of the county to the land of his adoption. Were the fact that he has reared a large family of fourteen children to sturdy manhood and womanhood the only thing which he had accomplished, he would still be worthy of an honored place in the historical annals of his adopted county. This is not all, however. Before Mr. Batschelet had learned the language and customs of his adopted country, and before he had obtained a foothold here in the making of his own career, he offered his services in behalf of the preservation of the Union, and is one of the few remaining Union veterans in Henry County. Fred Batschelet was born July 10, 1842, in the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, and is the son of Benedict and Elizabeth (Weber) Batschelet, who were parents of five children. Benedict and Elizabeth Batschelet lived and died in the land of their nativity. Fred Batschelet was reared to the life of a farmer, but learned the baker's trade in his youth. In 1862 he immigrated to America and first settled in Illinois where he remained for three years. During the last year of the Civil War he served in the. Union Army in Company A of the 40th Missouri Volunteer Infantry Regiment. For a time he was detailed to provost guard duty in the South. While a citizen of Illinois, he was married and sometime later he located in St. Louis. In the year 1870 he, with his brother John, came to Henry County and invested in a tract of 106 acres. The brothers cultivated this tract in partnership for about four years and then each undertook to farm for himself. From this small beginning, Mr. Batschelet has accumulated an entire section of land, or 640 acres. Mr. Batschelet was married in 1866 at Highland, Illinois, to Miss Anna Pfister, who was born in Switzerland, April 30, 1848, and came to America when a child with her parents who settled at Highland, Illinois. Fourteen children have been born to this union, as follows: Fred and Godfred, twins, born in Illinois, are farmers in Davis township; John, a farmer, living near Lewis Station; Benedict, a farmer in Davis township; Minnie, wife of Daniel Dehn, Clinton township; Robert, lives in Oklahoma; Albert, a farmer in Bear Creek township; William, Davis township; Anna, wife of W. E. Hillebrand, Davis township; Mary, wife of Allen Mitchell, living on a farm near Montrose; Caroline, Bertha, Edward, and Rosa, at home with their parents. Mr. Batschelet is a Republican and has been active in civic affairs in his township during his long years of residence here. He assisted in the organization of School District No. 42 and is a valuable citizen. Three years ago he retired from active farm labor, advancing years compelling him to relinquish much of his activity which had brought him prosperity during the years in which he has been farming in Henry County. He is a member of the Reformed Church. Few men can look back over a lifetime of endeavor and point to a better record of achievement than can Mr. Batschelet.
BATSCHELET, John Owen
Deer Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 594
John Batschelet, a successful and leading young farmer of Deer Creek township, Henry County, is following in the footsteps of his ancestors, who were tillers of the soil. They were among the early pioneer settlers of the township and John Batschelet is a native son of Henry County. He was born in Davis township, Henry County, November 13, 1870, a son of Frederick Batschelet, further mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. John Batschelet was reared on a farm and received his education in the Willow Branch district school. He then engaged in farming as his vocation. In 1912 he purchased 200 acres in Deer Creek township and has made his home upon it since. He carries on general farming and stock raising and has a well improved and valuable farm which bears testimony to his thrift and industry. In 1911 Mr. Batschelet was married to Mary Neil, a daughter of Alex Neil of La Due, Missouri. She was born on a farm near La Due, Missouri, in 1882. One child, John K., has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Batschelet. Mr. Batschelet is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator of Clinton, Missouri, and he is one of Henry County's progressive, public spirited and substantial citizens. The success that he has attained is due to hard work and close attention to business.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 356
Henry Baum, a well known hardware merchant of Clinton, Missouri, has been identified with the business development of Henry County for many years. He was born in Wittenberg, Germany, April 10, 1853, and is a son of Patrick and Mary Ann (Walter) Baum, and was the fifth child in the order of birth in a family of six boys. The father died in his native land when Henry was about three years old and in 1859 the mother and her six boys, Henry then being about six years of age, came to America and on Christmas Day, 1859, the family landed at New Orleans, Louisiana. They then came up the Mississippi River as far as Cairo, Illinois, by boat, and on January 1, 1860, reached St. Louis by rail. They then went to Lebanon, Illinois, where the boys grew to manhood and the mother spent the remainder of her life there. Of this family Henry, the subject of this sketch, is the only one living. Mr. Baum was educated in the public schools at Lebanon, Illinois, and in 1870, when he was seventeen years of age, he went to St. Louis to make his own way in the world. Here he learned the tinner's trade and worked at his trade in St. Louis about seven and one-half years. He then worked as a journeyman tinner in different places, including Kansas City. October 1, 1884, he came to Clinton and entered the employ of the Hasler Hardware Company, having charge of their tinshop for eighteen years and seven months. On June 19, 1902, he engaged in business for himself in Clinton. At first he engaged in the tinning business and gradually added a stock of hardware which he increased from time to time until today he has one of the most complete stocks of hardware to be found in Henry County, and is one of the leading hardware merchants of this section. Mr. Baum has but one rule in business and that is to give a square deal to everybody, which accounts for the rapid growth and development of his humble beginning sixteen years ago to a business of the present magnitude of Henry Baum's Hardware Store at Clinton. Mr. Baum employs five men in the store and tin shop. January 19, 1879, Henry Baum was united in marriage with Miss Melora Eleanora Bergmann, a native of St. Louis. She was reared in that city and received her education under the training of the nuns in St. Peter and Paul's Parish. To Mr. and Mrs. Baum were born three children, as follow: Catherine Eleanora, a graduate of the Clinton High School, the Missouri State University, and is now a teacher in the Clinton High School; Emil Henry, a sheet iron worker, Chicago, Illinois; and Edgar Walter, with his father at Clinton. Mrs. Baum departed this life March 30, 1918. She was a woman of noble character and led an exemplary Christian life, and no small part of her husband's success is due to the wisdom of her counsel and her sympathetic co-operation. She was a devout member of the Catholic Church and Mr. Baum and his children are communicants of the same denomination. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Clinton and has been identified with that lodge for a number of years.