BOLINGER, William Perce
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 332
Perce Bolinger, senior member of the B. & S. Plumbing Company of Clinton, Missouri, is a native son of Henry County. He was born in Clinton, in the house where he now lives, at 301 North Washington street, June 3, 1872, and is a son of W. W. and Eulalia (Lowden) Bolinger, natives of Pennsylvania, the former born near Beech Creek, Clinton County, and the latter was born at Jersey Shore, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania. W. W. Bolinger, the father of Perce Bolinger, was a jeweler by trade, and when the Civil War broke out he enlisted in a Pennsylvania regiment, and served in the Union Army until the close of the war. In 1867 he came to Missouri, his destination being Osceola. He came as far as Sedalia by rail, and at that time there was no railroad from that point to the Southwest, but transportation facilities from Sedalia to Osceola, consisted of a stage coach which carried the mail, making the round trip from Sedalia to Osceola twice a week. Mr. Bolinger reached Sedalia just as the stage had left on one of its weekly trips, and rather than wait until the following week, he proceeded to make the journey on foot. However, after reaching Clinton, he was so favorably impressed with the town that he decided to engage in business there and for thirty-five years he was actively engaged in the jewelry business. He spent his latter life in retirement, and died October 25, 1912. His wife preceded him in death a little over two years, having departed this life in January, 1910. They were the parents of three children, T. S., who died at Moberly, Missouri, in 1902, Perce, the subject of this sketch, and Blossom, now the wife of R. C. Woods, Sedalia, Missouri. Perce Bolinger was reared and educated in Clinton, attending the public schools and Lamkin's Academy. After leaving school, he learned the printer's trade, which he followed about sixteen years, after which he served as chief of the Clinton Fire Department for six years. He then engaged in the bottling business in Clinton in partnership with R. C. Woods, which they conducted for nine years, when Mr. Bolinger disposed of his interest in that enterprise and engaged in the plumbing business. Mr. Bolinger was united in marriage July 2, 1893, with Miss Etta Onwiler, and one child has been born to this union. John W., a member of 128th Machine Gun Company, 35th Division, National Army. He volunteered in the service early in the summer of 1917. Mr. Bolinger's first wife died in 1894. On June 20, 1896, he was married to Miss Alice Simmons of Clinton, Missouri, a native of Illinois. Mr. Bolinger is one of the progressive and enterprising business men of Clinton, and takes a just pride in his native city and county. He has been a lifelong Republican and has been active in politics since he was eighteen years old. He has served as city and county committeeman, and has been chairman of the Republican County Central Committee. Although he has taken a deep interest in politics and been identified with the local Republican organization, he has never been a candidate for office but once and was then elected councilman of the Second Ward of Clinton, and is now serving in that capacity with the same progressive spirit which characterizes his private business methods. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Knights of the Maccabees, and the Woodmen of the World. He is one of the widely-known and substantial citizens of Henry County.
BOLINGER, William W.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 500
William W. Bolinger, jeweler, and a member of the grocery house of Bolinger & Barlow, was born in Clinton County, Pennsylvania, October 30th, 1834. He was reared in the occupation of farming, being educated in the schools of his native county. When 19 years of age he began the jewelry trade at Jersey Shore, and remained there for three years, then, in 1856, going to Kendall County, Illinois, where he stopped six mouths, and thence to Jackson, Michigan. After seven months time spent in that city he returned home and resided at his birthplace one year. Going again to Kendall County, Illinois, he stayed nine months, and after a short residence in Jersey County, went to Leavenworth, Kansas. Two months after he returned to Jerseyville, Illinois, and in one month went back home, where he stopped till the spring of 1865. Coming westward he stopped in Princeton, Illinois, for five months, and from there to Jerseyville, where he made his home till February, 1868. Then he came to Clinton, Missouri, and began the jewelry business, at which he has since been engaged. In September, 1880, he commenced in the grocery business with the present manager of the firm, Mr. Barlow. Mr. Bolinger was married August 15th, 1859, to Miss Lallie Loudou, a native of Pennsylvania. They have three children, Thaddeus S., William P. and an infant. Mr. B. is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity and of the encampment of that order. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. orders. He has been a member of the city council for four years.
BOLTON, R. M. Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 730
Dr. R. M. Bolton was born at Jefferson City, Missouri, on the eleventh of January, 1846, and is the seventh of a family of twelve children, seven boys and five girls. His parents were Meredith N. and Sarah Bolton, nee Hall. The former of North Carolina family and the latter of Virginia birth. They came to Missouri in 1828 and lived in and near Jefferson City until their deaths, Mr. B. dying in 1877 and his widow in the next year. R. M. received fair school advantages in youth, having attended the Lafayette high school, under that staunch old educator, Dr. Arnot. He began the study of medicine at home and continued studying under his brother, Rufus L., a physician of long practice at Holden. In 1871 he commenced his practice in Johnson County, and after a time removed to Lucas, in Henry County, where he remained two years, then coming to Ladue, in 1874, and purchasing a drug store. He has since been practicing his profession with good success. Dr. Bolton was married at Lucas, while engaged in his practice there, on October 15, 1872, to Miss Amelia K. Godwin, daughter of William Godwin. She is a native of Tennessee. They have two children, Howard and Roxana, and have also lost two, the eldest, Lewis, dying at three years, and the other in infancy. Mrs. Bolton is identified with the Methodist Church, South.
BONHAM, Marcus L.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 500
Marcus L. Bonham, proprietor of Oak Hill Nursery, was born in Blount County, Tennessee, February 20, 1836. At the age of four years he was taken by the family to Henry County, Indiana, where he was reared and received his education, following from his twentieth year the occupation of school teaching. This profession he continued for five years, and about the year 1860 he became engaged in the photographic business. For two years he gave his attention to this art, then resuming his farming operations, till March, 1866, at which time he moved to Carroll County, Missouri. After residing there for two years he went to Newton County, and in one year, or the spring of 1869, came to Henry County and established the present Oak Hill Nursery. He has twenty-one acres of land well adapted for his business, and he raises all varieties of trees, plants, etc., which thrive in this locality, and he supplies mostly our home market. Mr. Bonham was married November 23, 1862, to Miss Margaret Hendricks, a native of Indiana. They have five children : Franklin M., Lyton L., Josephine E., Maude and Margaret F.
BOONE, Banton G.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 351
Banton G. Boone was born in Callaway County, Mo., October 23d, 1838. His father, Banton G., was a native of Madison County, Kentucky, and his mother, Elizabeth Boone, was a native of the same state. He received such educational advantages as his own indomitable energies afforded. At the age of fourteen he entered a printing office in Troy, Lincoln County, to learn the printing business. In 1856 he became a resident of Clinton, Henry County, Mo., and soon after was appointed deputy circuit clerk, and held the position four years. He improved his leisure hours of day, with hours of night, fitting himself for the practice of law, and in 1859 he was admitted to the bar by Judge Foster P. Wright. His standing in the legal profession has been gained only by hard and unremitting study. A laborious student with a clear analytical mind, clearness and quickness of perception, and prompt in application he has every element which combine the lawyer and counselor. Mr. Boone has become prominently connected with the political history of the state. In 1874 he was nominated by the democrats as a candidate for the legislature, and elected by a handsome majority. He was declared the nominee of his party in the caucus for speaker, his opponents being General James Shields and M. V. L. McLelland. He was subsequently elected by a vote of ninety-six to twenty-four, J. L. Bittinger, of Buchanan, being his republican opponent. He proved to be a man well fitted for the position, and his impartiality and unpartisan conduct, together with his uniform fidelity to the public good won for him the regard of the entire general assembly. In 1872? he was a candidate before the convention for attorney general, and came within one-third of a vote of being the nominee. Politically he is a staunch democrat, and from boyhood he has taken an active interest in all political matters. He is a close student and fondly devoted to the profession of his choice, and his future eminence lies in the legal arena, where his natural and acquired qualifications opens up to him a nobler aspiration and more enduring fame. He was married June 4th, 1874, to Miss Irene C. Rogers, a daughter of the late Dr. John A. Rogers, a prominent physician and one of Clinton's early settlers. Their family consists of two children, Bessie and Britts Gorman.
BOOTH, Royal Wilbur
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 678
Royal W. Booth - The Booth Hatchery, located at 807 North Fourth Street, Clinton, Missouri, is a very interesting and instructive business, showing what one can do with the initiative and ability of a business man in the poultry business. Mr. Booth opened his chicken hatchery in 1914 and he has an ever increasing demand for his small hatched chickens of various breeds, among which are the well-known White Leghorns, Plymouth Rock, Rhode Island Red and Buff Orpingtons. Mr. Booth has an incubator hatching capacity of 15,000 chickens. One building holds 10,000 and the other 5,000 in various small buildings, which has lately been replaced by a new building with better facilities for handling and caring for the young chicks. In the four years of his work Mr. Booth has shipped chickens all over the United States, his chickens being on sale from January to November. He specializes in the White Leghorn hens for their laying qualities and meat. In connection with his work of raising small chicks, Mr. Booth has also the agency for the Buckeye and Cyphers incubators. He deals extensively in eggs also. R. W. Booth was born at Cedar Springs, Michigan, in 1895 and is the son of F. D. and Ida J. (Gates) Booth, now residing at Clinton, Missouri. In 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Booth with their family moved to a farm near Clinton, where they remained until 1911, when they located in Clinton and where they are now making their home. They are the parents of four children: Rex, Clinton; Royal W., with whom this sketch deals; Eden and Mary E., at home with their parents. Royal W. Booth received his education in the public schools of Clinton and took a course of agriculture in his high school work, thus interesting him in his present work. He read every available bulletin on the subject and soon after leaving school he had his chicken hatchery going. The business is likely to be a very large one in extent as the years roll by as it has increased in leaps and bounds the past year. On July 15, 1918, Mr. Booth became a private soldier in the National Army and is now in training at Camp McArthur, Texas. His brother, Eden, immediately took charge of the business in his stead and is conducting it successfully.
BOSTON, William Marvin
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 726
William M. Boston, a successful and well known farmer and stockman of Big Creek township, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Rose Hill, Johnson County, October 11, 1873, a son of Isaac and Jane (Simmons) Boston, both natives of Missouri. The father was born in St. Louis County and the mother in Cole County. Isaac Boston is a son of David L. W. Boston, a Kentuckian, who came to Missouri in 1842 and settled in Johnson County, where he spent the remainder of his life. He entered Government land and also bought several hundred acres until he owned nine hundred acres in Rose Hill township, Johnson County. Isaac Boston was a child when his parents settled in Johnson County and here he grew to manhood and was engaged in farming and stock raising until 1907, when he went to Beaver County, Oklahoma, where he now resides. His wife died in 1909, aged sixty-three years. They were the parents of the following children: Albert W., Denver, Colorado; John C., Ft. Lupton, Colorado; William M., the subject of this sketch; Henry C., Ft. Lupton, Colorado; Stella M., married Dosse Potts, and is now deceased; Lawrence M., Ft. Logan, Colorado; Bessie M., married George Coburn, Ft. Lupton, Colorado, and Roy W., Ft. Lupton, Colorado. William M. Boston was reared in Rose Hill township, Johnson County, and received his education in the public schools of that vicinity. He began life for himself as a farmer and stock raiser in Johnson County, and in 1900 bought one hundred three acres of land in Big Creek township, which was known as the Thomas Davis place. Since that time he has met with uniform success and has added one hundred twenty acres to his original purchase, and is now the owner of a splendid farm of two hundred twenty-three acres. The place is well improved with a good residence, barns and other farm buildings Mr. Boston is extensively engaged in raising cattle and hogs, making a specialty of Poland China hogs, find his place is well adapted to stock raising as well as general farming. July 12, 1899, William M. Boston was united in marriage with Miss Myrtie Potts, a daughter of James R. and Sallie E. (Davis) Potts, who now reside at Blairstown, Missouri. Mrs. Boston was born in Big Creek township and her parents were early settlers of that township. Mrs. Boston has one brother, Dosse Potts, who resides at Iola, Kansas. To Mr. and Mrs. Boston have been born two daughters: Ruth O. and Gladys I., both of whom are students in the local school and reside at home. Mr. Boston is a student of men and affairs and an extensive reader. He gives special attention to the literature of agriculture and modern farming methods. His extensive reading coupled with years of experience along agricultural lines place him in the front ranks of modern farmers and stockmen. Mr. and Mrs. Boston are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Blairstown, Missouri.
BOWEN, John "Jack"
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 834
The Bowen Coal Company of Windsor and Henry County, Missouri, composed of Richard Bowen and his sons, John, Thomas R. and William S. Bowen, is one of the most important mining concerns in western Missouri. For several years since the organization of this company they have been mining coal in this section of Missouri and have been active developers of this important mining field. Richard Bowen, founder of the Bowen Coal Company, was born at Thornley, Durham County, England, May 17, 1839. He is the son of James and Elizabeth (Tulip) Bowen, the former of whom was a soldier in the British Armies, having fought in America during the War of 1812 and was a soldier in Wellington's army, which defeated Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo. Richard Bowen was reared to young manhood in England and became a coal miner. He immigrated to America in 1863 and arrived here on May 9. He first settled in the coal mining country near Steubenville, Ohio, later going to the mining section of Allegheny County, Maryland, where he was employed in the mines for a year. He then went to Clarksburg, West Virginia, and was there employed for three years. From Clarksburg he went to Ritchie County, West Virginia, and had charge of coal mines at that place for four years as mine boss and superintendent. In 1876 he came to Henry County, Missouri, and took charge of the Bancroft and Company's mines. Later he was manager of the Osage mines. In 1882 he embarked in mining on his own account and became a member of the Tebo Mining Company. For twenty years thereafter he was interested actively in coal mining and organized the Bowen Mining Company of which he was the head until his retirement to a home in Clinton, Missouri. Mr. Bowen is now making his home in Kansas City, Missouri. He is still interested in mining. In February, 1858, Richard Bowen and Elizabeth Thompson were married in England. This marriage was blessed with nine children. Five of these children died in infancy. The others living are: John, William S., Thomas R., and Elizabeth, widow of Henry Peckinpaugh, of Clinton, Missouri. The late Mrs. Elizabeth Bowen was born August 4, 1838, and departed this life February 7, 1913. John Bowen, the immediate subject of this review, was born at Thornley, Durham County, England, December 13, 1858. He accompanied his parents to America in 1863 and was here reared to young manhood, following in his successful father's footsteps as miner and operator of coal mines. His public school education was obtained at Clarksburg, West Virginia, and not long afterward he became engaged with his father in coal mining. In 1882 he joined his father in the mining business and they operated coal mines at Lewis Station, Henry County, where the concern also conducted a general merchandise store, of which John Bowen had charge until 1902. He made his home in Clinton, Missouri, until 1901 and then came to Windsor. The Bowen brothers discovered a splendid vein of coal west of Windsor on the Henry-Johnson County line and they began developing it. With the opening of the mines a town sprang up in that vicinity which has been named Bowen. On January 25, 1881, John Bowen and Miss Mary A. Thompson were united in marriage. The children born of this marriage are: Elizabeth G., wife of Robert G. Frazer, Tallulah, Louisiana; Richard J., his father's assistant; John W., bookkeeper of the First National Bank of Windsor; Ralph T., engaged in the mining business. Mrs. Mary A. Bowen was born in England, the daughter of James A. and Grace (Nichol) Thompson, who emigrated from England in 1870 and settled at Laconing, Maryland, residing there until 1878, when they came to Missouri. James A. Thompson was a coal miner and was interested in the mines at Lewis, Henry County, where he resided until his death on December 9, 1880. His wife passed away at Windsor in 1906. Mr. Bowen is president of the First National Bank of Windsor and is a director of the Clinton National Bank of Clinton, Missouri. He was elected mayor of Windsor in 1911 and served for two years in this capacity. He is affiliated fraternally with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Clinton Lodge No.548, and Royal Arch Chapter No.73 of Clinton. Mr. Bowen is an energetic and public spirited citizen who has the best interests of his home city and county at heart.
Deer Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 795
Richard Bowen, mine inspector of Henry County, owes his nativity to England, where he was born May 17, 1839. His parents, James and Elizabeth Bowen, nee Tulip, were both natives of England. The former was a soldier in the English army, and was a Waterloo pensioner, and served also in the war of 1812. Richard Bowen grew to manhood in his native country, and at the age of eight years he commenced working in the mines. He immigrated to the United States in 1833, and located first in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and worked in the mines about one year, removing thence to Clarksburgh, West Virginia. Here he followed this occupation three years. They went to Ritchie County, and had charge of a coal mine four years. In 1871, he located in Allegheny County, Maryland, and six years later, or in 1877, came to Missouri and settled in Henry County, taking charge of a mine for Bancroft & Co. He then had charge of the mines of the Osage Mining Company, in Henry County, until June, 1882. Mr. Bowen was appointed county inspector of coal mines for Henry County in July, 1882. He was married in England in February, 1858, to Miss Elizabeth Thompson, of that country, and a daughter of Ralph Thompson. They have four children: John, Elizabeth, William S. and Robert T. Mr. Bowen has a farm of eighty acres, and he is devoting a portion of his time to farming.
BOWEN, Thomas Robert
Windsor, Windsor Township
1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
Thomas R. Bowen is prominently connected with the coal mining industry in Windsor, Missouri, and has also other important interests, being a director in the First National Bank of that city and the owner of eight hundred acres of farm land which he rents out. Mr. Bowen is a son of Richard and Elizabeth (Thompson) Bowen, natives of England, of whom extended mention is made in connection with the biographical article of John Bowen, appearing in this work. Their son, Thomas, was born in Lonaconing, Maryland, May 26, 1875, but upon the removal of the family to Missouri, became a resident of this state and attended school in Clinton. He augmented his fundamental knowledge by a course at the Clinton Academy and when seventeen years of age left school and became associated with his father and brothers in their mining interests at Lewis Station. This partnership still continues and Thomas R. Bowen has been an important factor in the successful conduct of that business. From 1893 to 1898 Mr. Bowen lived in Savanna, Oklahoma, looking after the coal mining interests of the family there and also being at the head of a trading company operated by them. After disposing of these interests he returned to Lewis Station and two years later came to Windsor, where he has resided continuously since that time. He now is superintendent of the mines of the company and is highly efficient in this position, as he is thoroughly informed upon all the phases of operation and keeps in contact with the latest methods applied to mining. On September 5, 1895, Mr. Bowen married Miss Nellie Jennings, who was born at Bijou Basin, Colorado. She is a daughter of J. T. and Emma (Anderson) Jennings, the father a blacksmith and machinist in his earlier life. He was born at Chillicothe, Livingston County, Missouri, and was reared upon a farm. Later he went to Colorado, engaging in sawmilling, and subsequently continued his westward movement to California. He was a resident of several western states and went west after having served on the Confederate side in the Civil War. He returned to Missouri about 1877, locating at first in Livingston County and later in Henry County. After the death of his wife he married again and is now a resident of Leeton, Missouri. He lives retired in the enjoyment of a comfortable competence and is well known and highly respected in that city. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, to the tenets and principles of which he is loyal. Mr. and Mrs. Jennings became the parents of two children: Eva, deceased; and Mrs. Bowen. The latter bore her husband one daughter, Frances Evelyn, born July 27, 1907. Mr. Bowen is interested in the progress of his section and always gives his support to worthy public enterprises. He is a Republican and votes for the party's issues and candidates, although he himself has never cared to enter public life. He is well thought of by his fellowmen and respected by his employees.
BOWEN, Thomas Robert
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 521
The mining industry has been an important one in Henry County for many years and received a pronounced impetus in the late seventies when Richard Bowen came to the county, an experienced coal miner who had spent the greater part of his life in the mining region of the Eastern States and who was skilled in the mining industry. Mines have been developed in many sections of Henry County with profit to the owners, and have brought wealth to the various communities. The Bowens, father and sons, John and Thomas R. Bowen, have for years been the leading figures in coal mining in this section of western Missouri and the mining town of Bowen, located west of Windsor, was founded and built up by this firm. It has mined and shipped thousands of tons of coal from the various fields in which they have been operating. Since the abnormal demands for coal, and more coal, which has taxed the mining resources of the country beyond their capacity and also overtaxed the railroads of the country to haul the fuel to the various centers in order to meet the great demand for fuel needed to keep the wheels of industry going for war needs, the Bowens have been doing their part in assisting the work of fuel supply. Thomas R. Bowen, coal mine operator and dealer, Windsor, Missouri, was born at Lonaconing, Maryland, May 26, 1875, the son of Richard and Elizabeth (Thompson) Bowen, concerning whom an account is given in connection with the sketch of John Bowen, in this volume. Thomas R. Bowen is the youngest of nine children, born to his parents. Richard Bowen came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1876 and engaged in coal mining. For years he was a successful coal operator in the vicinity of Windsor and now residing in Kansas City, Missouri. Thomas R. Bowen was educated in the Clinton Academy and naturally took up the vocation of his father and became a miner and operator of coal mines. He became interested in the business with his father and brother and has become well-to-do. He is the individual owner of land in Missouri and Kansas. On September 5, 1895, Thomas R. Bowen and Nellie Jennings were united in marriage. To this union has been born one child, Frances, born July 27, 1907. Mr. Bowen is a stockholder and a director of the First National Bank of Windsor and the Clinton National Bank of Clinton. Missouri, and is rated as one of the leading financial citizens of Henry County.
BOWMAN, Amos P. Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 731
Dr. A. P. Bowman was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, on the 23d of May, 1819. His parents were of New Jersey birth, and were named Nathaniel and Ann (Buffin) Bowman. They reared a family of six children, of whom A. P. is the fourth, and he has been a resident of this state since the age of twenty years. He began to practice medicine when about twenty-seven years old, and followed the profession for ten years in Clay County, having spent one year in California. He came to Henry County in 1861, from Bates County, where he lived for four years just previous, and continued the practice here under serious difficulties during the war, and since then until within the past three years, when he concluded to hand the practice to younger men. He has since devoted himself to the labors of the farm. Dr. Bowman was married October 28, 1846, to Miss Mariah M. Riley, daughter of Major A. M. Riley, of Clay County. They have five children: Lucy Ann, (wife of John Henkle) Carrie A., (wife of J. T. Parks, in Franklin County), Alla L., in school at Kansas City, and two boys, T. C. and A. R. T. C. Bowman was born June 2, 1855, in Platte County, Missouri. A. R., born in Bates County, May 8, 1851. They have received fair educational advantages, A. R. attending the Clinton public schools, and T. C. having spent one year at Warrensburg Normal School. The youngest was married October 14, 1880, to Miss Ella Adair, daughter of William Adair. She died September 16, 1881, having one child, Locke. The brothers are farming quite extensively, having over 400 acres of good land. They feed about fifty head of cattle and 100 hogs. The family are all identified with the Christian Church.
BOYD, John Franklin Judge
Brownington, Osage Township
1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
John F. Boyd, associate judge of Henry County, engaged in general farming and stock raising near Brownington, Henry County, was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, March 19 1860, a son of John N. and Elizabeth G. (Lawler) Boyd, the former a native of North Carolina and the latter of Tennessee. In early life the father worked at the carpenter's trade and afterward followed the occupation of farming. When a young man he left North Carolina, going to Tennessee, and from that state made his way to Missouri about 1854, settling in St. Clair County, where he became a landowner. During the war he removed to Bates County, where he lived for a short time and there died. The mother afterward came to Henry County with the family, settling near Coal, and her death occurred in August 1910. She had long survived the husband and father, who had passed away in 1867. Judge Boyd, whose name introduces this review, attended the public schools of Henry County. His mother was left a widow when he was but a small boy and the responsibility of managing family affairs largely devolved upon him. He has earned his own way since childhood and is truly a self-made man, being dependent always upon his own resources. He was employed as a farm hand in his youth, working for others until he saved enough money to buy a team. He then engaged in farming on his own account on rented land and continued to cultivate leased property until about 1899, when he became a landowner, locating where he now resides, about two and a half miles from Brownington. He now has more than three hundred acres and carries on general farming and stock raising, handling horses, cattle and mules. He devotes his entire time to the farm aside from his official duties. Persistent and energetic, he deserves much credit for what he has accomplished, inasmuch as industry, determination and honest constitue the basis of his success. On the 16th of February, 1879, John F. Boyd was united in marriage to Miss Landona Wears, a native of Henry County and a daughter of George and Mattie (Emery) Wears, also natives of this state. The father was a farmer by occupation and was killed in battle while serving as a soldier in the Confederate Army. To Mr. and Mrs. Boyd have been born eight children: George Milton, at home; Myrtle Anna, the wife of George W. Poague, a farmer residing near her father's place; Mary E., the wife of Ira Wycoff, a farmer of South Dakota; William Merrill, a farmer living in the state of Washington; John Lee, who follows agricultural pursuits in Henry County; Ola Alice, at home; Clifton F., who carries on farming in this county; and Grace Truman, the wife of Christopher Dody, also a resident farmer of Henry County. Mr. Boyd holds membership with the Woodmen of the world and the Modern Woodmen of America, and his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Baptist Church. In politics he is a Democrat, and his fellow townsmen, appreciative of his worth and ability, have several times called him to public office. He servied as justice of the peace and township commissioner, was a member of the township board and at the present writing is associate judge of the county court. His public duties have ever been discharged with promptness and fidelity, winning him the respect and confidence of the entire community. (Note: Della Maye Boyd Fowler of Windsor, has a copy of the divorce degree that John N. Boyd got in March 8, 1871, proving that he did not die in 1867. He was living in Bates County, but information on a death date or place has not been found.)
BOYD, John Wyeth
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 572
John W. Boyd, a successful farmer and stockman, owner of a splendid farm of 201 acres of land in sections 1, 11 and 12, Tebo township, is a native son of Missouri. He was born in Lafayette County, September 18, 1873, a son of James A. and Mary D. (Forsey) Boyd. James A. Boyd was born in Jackson, Alabama, June 28, 1826, and is now making his home in Windsor, one of the oldest residents of Henry County He was reared in the southland and became a plantation owner, using slaves to the number of 100 to perform the work of his plantation. During the Civil War he was engaged in the manufacture of saltpetre for the Confederate government, saltpetre being an important ingredient used in the making of gunpowder. At the close of the war he removed to Illinois and located near Jacksonville, where he remained until 1868. He then moved to Lafayette County, Missouri, where he was engaged in farming until 1894, when he came to Henry County, and after a few years spent in farming he located in Windsor and has resided there for the past twenty years. Mrs. Mary D. (Forsey) Boyd was born July 26, 1832, and departed this life January 5, 1910. To James A. and Mary D. Boyd were born eleven children, eight of whom are living, as follows: Mrs. Harriet Hurt, a widow living at Windsor, with her father; Eliza, lives with her father; Thomas K., lives in Kansas; William, deceased; James A., Jr., lives at Ault, Colorado; Mattie L., deceased; Mrs. Mary D. Jackson, a widow, lives in Idaho; David M. is a farmer in Tebo township; Forsey is deceased; Lindley lives at Wichita, Kansas; John W. is the youngest of the family. Reared upon the farm, John W. Boyd received his education in the district school and spent some months as a student in the State Normal School at Warrensburg. He accompanied his parents to Henry County in 1894 and purchased his present farm, consisting of 16l acres, which he bought on his own account and forty acres which his wife inherited. December 29, 1897, John W. Boyd and Miss Annie Allen were united in marriage. Two children have been born to this marriage: Julia and Helen. Mrs. Annie (Allen) Boyd was born in Tebo township, Henry County, January 13, 1876, a daughter of William M. and Julia (Harris) Allen, who were parents of seven children: William R., Ava, Missouri; Mrs. Esther Hurt, Aberdeen, Idaho; Mrs. John W. Boyd, of this review; Charles, deceased; twins died in infancy; John Allen, the youngest son of the family, makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Boyd. William M. Allen was born in Tebo township December 10, 1838, and died February 15, 1914. He was the son of George J. Allen, a native of Buncombe County, North Carolina, who came to Henry County and settled here in 1835. George Allen was accompanied by his brother, Robert W. Allen, and their father, James Allen. The Allens were among the very earliest pioneers of Tebo township and assisted in the organization of the first schools and church in the township. They were among the founders of Salem Presbyterian Church, which was the first church of that denomination to be organized in Henry County. William M. Allen was married January 12, 1870, to Julia Harris, who was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, September 3, 1849, and departed this life May 28, 1885. To William M. and Julia Allen belong the credit and honor of having reared a splendid family of sons and daughters and who were among the earliest of the pioneer families of this county. The Democratic party has always had the allegiance of John W. Boyd and he has held the office of tax collector of his township for a period of four years. His time is fully occupied with his farming and live stock operations and he has little choice for political affairs. He and Mrs. Boyd are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and are highly esteemed as excellent and worthy citizens of Henry County.
BOYD, Joseph F. Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 501
Joseph F. Boyd, farmer, section 31. The subject of this sketch is a native of Warren County, Missouri, and was born December 13, 1836. His father, William Boyd, was born in Lincoln County, Missouri, November 18, 1809, and moved to Warren County in 1833; he married Nancy A. Jorney, originally of St. Charles County. They reared six children, Joseph being the eldest. William Boyd died in September, 1864, and his wife's death occurred in 1850. Young Boyd grew up and was educated in the county of his birth, and there followed farming till the spring of 1857. In that year he came to Henry County, Missouri, settling on the farm where he now lives. He has 240 acres of fine land and the improvements upon it are excellent. In 1862 he enlisted in a company of volunteers under Captain Bowen, and in September of 1862 the company was changed to Company K, Sixteenth Missouri Regiment; he served with that regiment till the battle of Helena, Arkansas, in July, 1863, when he was captured by the Federals and held a prisoner at Alton, Illinois, till exchanged near Richmond, Virginia, in February, 1865. He then obtained a furlough, and while in Arkansas peace was declared, and in May, 1865, he returned home. Mr. B. was united in marriage January 3, 1856, with Miss Elizabeth Adkins, a daughter of John W. Adkins. They have five children living: Nancy A., William F., Lucy E., Sallie E. and John N. Mr. B. is a member of the Masonic order. He held the office of justice of the peace of Clinton Township for one year, having then resigned the position.
BRADLEY, Horace Dr.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 843
Dr. Horace Bradley, veterinarian and farmer and stockman, Springfield township, Henry County, is a native son of Henry County and was born on his father's farm in Springfield township April 20, 1872, the son of James R. and Martha (Ten Brook) Bradley, a sketch of whom appears in this volume in connection with the biography of Dr. Manuel E. Bradley of Windsor, Missouri. Horace Bradley was reared on his father's farm and when eighteen years of age he became a student in the Warrensburg Normal School, pursuing a general course of study. After completing his work at Warrensburg he entered the Ohio Veterinary College at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1893. After two years of thorough study in this institution he graduated as a veterinary surgeon. In 1895, upon his return to Windsor, he immediately began the practice of his chosen profession and has built up a reputation as a learned and proficient veterinarian who is second to none in this section of Missouri. Doctor Bradley practices over a wide range of territory embracing a section twenty miles in every direction. In 1902 he was appointed to the important post of deputy State veterinarian and still holds this position. In 1905 Doctor Bradley was appointed to a membership upon the Missouri State Board of Veterinary Examiners and filled the post of president of this board for two terms of two years each. On December 5, 1895, Doctor Bradley was married to Miss Gertrude Bell of Pettis County, Missouri, the daughter of John H. and Hannah (McDaniels) Bell, the former of whom was a native of Illinois and the latter of Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Bell reside on a farm in Pettis County, Missouri. Two children have been born to Doctor and Mrs. Bradley, namely: Alvens T., a student in the medical department of Missouri State University; and Carl H., a student in the electrical engineering department of the State University. Doctor Bradley removed to his farm in Springfield township and is carrying on extensive farming operations in addition to his large practice. Doctor Bradley is a Democrat. He served as alderman in Windsor from 1906 to 1908. He and Mrs. Bradley are members of the Christian Church of Windsor. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Knights of Pythias, the Modern Woodmen of America and the Anti-Horse Thief Association. Doctor Bradley is a member of the Missouri Veterinary Association and is very active in the affairs of this organization, serving as secretary and trustee of the State association and has also filled the post of president, besides filling similar positions in the Missouri Valley Veterinary Association. He is a frequent contributor to the journals published in the interest of his profession and holds high rank among the veterinarians of the State of Missouri and the middle western States.
BRADLEY, Manuel Edgar Dr.
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 541
Dr. Manuel E. Bradley, physician and surgeon, Windsor, Missouri, was born in Sedalia, Missouri, September 4, 1867, the son of James R. and Martha (Ten Brook) Bradley, who were parents of three children: Dr. Manuel E., subject of this review; Dr. Arthur H., a practicing physician, St. Louis, Missouri; and Horace Bradley, a veterinarian, Windsor, Missouri. James R. Bradley was born in Howard County, Missouri, September 27, 1836, and is now making his home in Los Angeles, California. During his earlier life he followed the vocation of carpenter but eventually became a farmer and stockman. He was married at Verdon, Illinois, to Martha Ten Brook in the spring of 1866 and then came to Sedalia, Missouri. He became actively engaged as a builder and contractor and erected the first large public school building in Sedalia. In 1868 he moved to Clinton, Missouri, and erected the school building in that city, and also built several of the churches in Clinton. In 1871 he purchased the Munn farm in Springfield township, Henry County, and improved the place until it became noted as the finest farm in the township. He remained actively engaged as a farmer and stock raiser until 1893, when he left the farm and located in Windsor. Here he became engaged in the drug and jewelry business and was thus engaged until 1897, when he retired from active business pursuits and removed to Clinton. He resided in the county seat until his removal to Los Angeles, California, on January 1, 1913. Mr. Bradley was one of the best known and influential citizens of Henry County and was prominent in the affairs of the Democratic party. He filled many local offices in Springfield township and served as road overseer and school director, taking a great interest in the cause of education, using his influence in favor of a longer school term for the youth and for better rural school houses. Henry County was the better in many ways for having Mr. Bradley as a citizen for so many years. Martha (Ten Brook) Bradley was born near Terre Haute, Indiana, September 28, 1839, and departed this life March 17, 1889, on the home farm in Springfield township. She was a good and faithful wife, a kind and wise mother to her children, and was deeply religious, being an active member of the Christian Church. Manuel E. Bradley was reared on the home farm of the family in Springfield township, and after receiving the rudiments of his education in the district school he studied in Professor Lamkin's Academy at Clinton. In 1885 he began teaching in the district school of Phelps County, Missouri, devoting three years, from 1885 to 1887, inclusive, to the teaching profession. January 1, 1888, he began the study of medicine with Dr. W. H. Gibbons, of Clinton, Missouri, and also pursued his studies at the Kansas City Medical University, graduating from that institution in May, 1890. After graduating from the Kansas City College he pursued a post-graduate course in medicine and surgery at St. Louis, Missouri. In 1890 he became affiliated with the Wabash Railroad Hospital at Springfield, Illinois, and remained with this hospital until 1891, when he located in Windsor, Missouri. He practiced his profession successfully in Windsor until his removal to St. Louis in October of 1897. He practiced in that city until July, 1913, when he returned to Windsor and is now permanently located in his home city, where he enjoys a large and lucrative practice. Doctor Bradley was married on December 24, 1891, to Miss Mattie E. Ellis, who was born in Benton County, Missouri, the daughter of James T. and Susan (Hughes) Ellis, natives of Missouri, who resided on a farm near Windsor in Benton County. Doctor Bradley is independent in his political views and votes as his conscience and his good judgment dictate. He is a member of the Christian Church and is affiliated fraternally with several lodges. Doctor and Mrs. Bradley have one of the most beautiful modern bungalow homes in Windsor and are popular among the people of their home city and county. Doctor Bradley is progressive as a physician and citizen. In 1906 he pursued a post-graduate course at the New York Polyclinic and also studied at the Post-Graduate Medical College of New York. He maintains his own dispensary and compounds his own medicines and constantly studies the developments in the healing science so as to keep abreast of the newest discoveries in his profession.
BRADLEY, William Perry Dr.
1917 Missouri The Center State
Grave responsibilities rest upon the shoulders of Dr. Will P. Bradley, who ably fills the position of superintendent of the State Hospital for the Insane at Nevada, for he is called upon to use his professional knowledge, his executive ability and his business judgment as his position makes exacting demands upon him. Dr. Bradley was born near Windsor, Henry county, Missouri, on the 22nd of November, 1869, a son of Christopher C. and Mary (Venable) Bradley, natives of Howard county and Audrain county, this state, respectively. The father is a son of Nathaniel and Nancy (Stanford) Bradley, who were born in Kentucky, but came to Missouri about 1818. The paternal grandfather was a well-do-do planter, and a man of much influence in his community. He died when about sixty-five years of age and his wife was called to her reward at the early age of thirty-five. Christopher C. Bradley grew to manhood in Johnson and Henry counties, Missouri, and following his marriage removed to his farm, where he resided until 1907. In that year he retired from active business life and took up his abode in Windsor. During the Civil war he served in the Union army for three years, thus giving indisputable proof of his patriotism. In political affairs he is a stanch democrat and still takes a keen interest in the public welfare. He is now seventy-nine years of age, but is yet strong both in body and mind and is one of the most esteemed citizens of Windsor. His wife is a daughter of Lewis R. and Rebecca (Young) Venable, the former a native of Virginia, and the latter of Kentucky. They came west in 1837 and settled in Audrain county, Missouri, but when their daughter Mary was still a child the family removed to Henry county. Mr. Venable was a prosperous planter and slaveholder. He lived to the very advanced age of ninety-one years and his wife died when seventy-eight years of age. He was a democrat and active in politics, representing Audrain county in the state legislature in ante bellum days. His religious allegiance was given to the Primitive Baptist church and the integrity of his life commanded universal respect. Mrs. Christopher C. Bradley has reached the age of seventy-seven years and she, like her husband, is still active and interested in the different phases of community activities. Both are members of the Christian or Disciples church. They have five children, of whom the subject of this review is the fourth in order of birth. Dr. Will P. Bradley spent his boyhood upon the parental farm and acquired his early education in the public schools. He desired a broader training for life’s work but it was necessary for him to meet his own expenses and he did so by teaching school. For three years he attended the State Normal School at Warrensburg, but this did not complete his education as he decided to devote his life to the field of medicine. He accordingly entered the Barnes Medical College at St. Louis, but before he could complete his course it was necessary for him to teach two more years and thus secure the needed funds. In 1898 he was graduated with the degree of M.D. and subsequently practiced for seven years in Benton county, this state. At the end of that time he returned to Windsor and soon gained a remunerative practice there. He also owned and operated the leading drug store in the town for five years. On the 17th of March, 1913, he received the appointment as superintendent of the State Hospital for the Insane at Nevada and has since held that position, discharging the difficult duties devolving upon him in such a manner as to reflect a great credit upon himself. The institution has attracted national attention because of its efficiency and some notable departures in the treatment of mental disease have won its management high praise, men in charge of similar institutions elsewhere considering the innovations of sufficient importance to warrant a careful study of them. The three things in the treatment of the patients that are insisted upon and that have proved most conducive to recovery are: proper feeding; the right kind of occupation; and kindness. The use of congenial occupation as a means of treating those mentally afflicted is proving especially valuable and is one of the distinctive features of the state hospital at Nevada. There is a diversional occupation department under the charge of an experienced teacher, who devotes her entire time to instructing the patients in basket-making, rug-making and similar work. All of the articles of clothing used by the patients are made in the industrial department and also quilts, carpets, rag rugs, brooms, mattresses, brushes and other useful articles. In addition to supplying the needs of the institution along those lines quite a little work of this kind has been sold. Patients work on the farm and in the garden and although seventy-six percent of those in the hospital are employed in some way. There is also a training school for nurses, which makes possible the very best attention for all of the patients and also offers an opportunity to young women to learn the profession. Since Dr. Bradley assumed charge of the institution in the spring of 1913 several reform measures have been instituted, including the discarding of restraints to a large extent. There are no lock seats, lock beds or other articles of a similar nature in the hospital now and Dr. Bradley is working on the theory that in time all restraints can be discarded. He remains a constant student of mental diseases and the agencies which effect their cure and keeps abreast of all the discoveries in this line of investigation, seeking always to give those under his care the best possible treatment. He is responsible for the management of the various departments of the institution and in successfully maintaining the hospital at a high rate of efficiency demonstrates the possession of executive ability and of practical judgment. Dr. Bradley was united in marriage, June 27, 1904, to Miss Daisy B. Gallaher, who was born in Missouri, and they have a son, William Perry Jr., who was born at the state hospital at Nevada on the 23rd of June 1913. The Doctor is a democrat and began to take an active interest in local affairs when a young man. For four years he served upon the town board at Windsor and in many other ways has concerned himself with the public welfare. He was a secretary of the Chautauqua Association of Windsor until he accepted his present appointment and has always been ready to cooperate in all measures seeking the community advancement. Along professional lines he belongs to the Henry County Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Fraternally he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Brotherhood of America. His achievements are due to his indefatigable energy and perseverance, since he taught school in order to earn money to continue his education and has been dependent upon his own ability and enterprise. The success that he has won in his chosen field is the best evidence of his capability.
BRAM, John C.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 606
John C. Bram. Among the prominent men of this county is the subject of this sketch, who was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, January 30, 1836. His parents, J. C. and Magdalina (Hays) Bram, were natives of the same locality. John C. spent his youth, from six to fourteen years, in the public schools of Wurtemburg, and obtained a good education in the common branches and is now as familiar with the French and English languages as with his own national tongue. After completing his studies he worked two years on a farm with his father. When sixteen years of age he commenced learning the machinist's and blacksmith's trades at which he served three years' apprenticeship. In 1854 he came to the United States, his parents having emigrated here two years previous, and located in Delaware, Ohio, where he was engaged at blacksmithing and carriage making for two years. In the spring of 1857 he came to Missouri and worked at his trade that year and the one following in St. Joseph. Going to Richmond, Missouri, he followed his trade until 1862, and in March, 1862, he enlisted in Company E., First Missouri Cavalry, and served three years in the Union army. Enlisting as a private he was soon promoted to first sergeant, and participated in numerous engagements, among the most important of which were the fights at Kirksville, Marshal, Jefferson City, Big Blue and at Pleasanton, Kansas, where his command took 1,000 prisoners and twelve pieces of artillery. After his discharge in April, 1865, he returned to Northern Missouri and located at Denver, in Worth County, where he worked until the fall of 1866. Selling his property there he moved to Henry County, bought land and improved a farm. He also continued the blacksmith business in connection with his farm for a number of years. Mr. Bram has a fine body of land of 400 acres, all in cultivation. Upon it is a fair house, an orchard of 1,000 apple trees of select varieties, with some peach, pear and cherry trees, and small fruits, located on section 22. He is extensively engaged in the stock business. Mr. Bram was married September 19, 1865, to Miss Anna B. Kadel, a native of Baden, but who was reared and educated in Henry County, and a daughter of John and Fredrica Kadel. He is identified with the Republican party and is well posted on the political issues of the day. He is president of the First National Bank, of Appleton City, in which he has a large interest. Mr. and Mrs. B. are members of the Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity and to the Grange, of which he was master for about eight years.
BRAME, John Baker Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 558
John Baker Brame was born in Mecklenburg County, Virginia, September 6, 1840. His father, John Brame, was born in the same place and has lived there since. He married Miss Elizabeth Smith of that county, who died in 1874. The subject of this sketch educated himself especially for a profession. In the winter of 1860 he attended the dental college at Baltimore, Maryland, remaining there until the spring of 1861. The war cloud broke, studies were at an end, and he entered the Confederate army in May, joining the Third Virginia Cavalry under Colonel Owens, of Virginia. He served in the army of the Potomac and participated in all the memorable battles fought by General Lee, gaining distinction as a brave soldier. He went home on a furlough to get horses one week before Lee's surrender, so that the war closed while he was at home. He again took to his dental studies, and in September, 1865, he emigrated to Missouri, and settled in Windsor, where he opened a dental office in the town and for many years was the only one. His excellent training while at the college, together with his experience fitted him admirably for the duties of his profession. He commenced without means and with but a few dental tools, but, endeavoring to do the best he could, soon had the satisfaction of knowing that his work was appreciated, and he is now established in a very prosperous business. He married Miss Rettie F. Taylor, November 24, 1867. She was the daughter of Richard F. Taylor, of Windsor, and Ann (Fitz Hugh) Taylor, a Kentuckian by birth. They have two children : Frank Lee, aged fourteen, and Paul Hampton, aged four years. The doctor is a Democrat in his political views. He joined the Baptist Church when he was thirteen years old, and in 1867 preferring the Christian Church, he became connected with it, and is one of its zealous, devoted members. He belongs to the order of the A. O. U. W. and the Farmers and Mechanics Insurance Association. He is one of the aldermen of the city government.
BRANDENBURG, Eugene Nelson
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 758
Eugene N. Brandenburg, an efficient employee of the Clinton post-office, who serves in the capacity of money-order clerk, is a native of Illinois. He was born at Pittwood, Illinois, November 24, 1867, a son of A. Y. and Elizabeth (Layton) Brandenburg, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Illinois. The Brandenburg family came to Missouri in 1869, and first settled in Polk County. The father was a Union veteran of the Civil War and served for four years in the capacity of first sergeant in the First Illinois Light Artillery. He died at San Monica, California, and his widow now resides in Clinton, Missouri. They were the parents of the following children: Gertrude, married W. Shipley and lives at Hamlet, Nebraska; Eugene N., the subject of this sketch; Jesse, married J. H. Hamilton, Springfield, Missouri; Fred, Hamlet, Nebraska; Sarah, married C. C. Canan, Clinton, Missouri; John, Clinton, Missouri; Mollie, married Charles. A. Morton, Kansas City, Missouri; Alonzo, deceased; and Lee, married F. L. Fellhauer, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. Eugene N. Brandenburg was educated in the public schools of Bolivar, Missouri, and when twelve years of age went to work in a printing office to learn the printer's trade, which he followed until he was thirty-one years of age. When the Spanish-American War broke out in 1898, he enlisted in Company F, Second Missouri Infantry, and was in camp with his command at Chickamauga Park and Lexington, Kentucky. He was mustered out of service and honorably discharged in October, 1898. He then returned to Clinton, where he was shortly afterwards appointed a mail carrier. He was later transferred to the St. Louis office, where he served for eighteen months. Later he returned to Clinton, where he was appointed a clerk in the post office, and has been connected with the Clinton post office since that time, having served as money order clerk since 1914. January 24, 1889, Mr. Brandenburg was united in marriage with Miss Lola Gray, daughter of C. W. and Anna (Graham) Gray of Clinton, Missouri, both of Mrs. Brandenburg's parents are now deceased, and their remains are interred in the Englewood Cemetery. They were the parents of four children: Mrs. Sarah Jessee, Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Blanche Holmes, Kansas City, Missouri; George, San Diego, California, and Lola, the wife of Eugene N. Brandenburg, the subject of this sketch. To Mr. and Mrs. Brandenburg have been born two children as follow: Harry Gray, born December 25, 1899, educated in the Clinton High School, enlisted in United States Navy in June, 1917, and is now serving in European waters; Carter Eugene, at home with his parents; and Grace, an adopted daughter, at home with her parents. Mr. Brandenburg is a member of the Masonic Lodge, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Woodmen of the World.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 501
James Brannum, proprietor of Tebo Mills, was born in St. Clair County, Illinois, August 12th, 1833, and was the son of William J. Brannum, a native of South Carolina, who came to Illinois in 1831. He married Miss Sarah Power, who was born in Wayne County, Missouri. James was reared on a farm in his native county, and received a good common school education. When seventeen years of age he began the milling trade with his father, who was then in that business, and continued it for five years. Subsequently he became interested in merchandising at Fayetteville, Illinois, where he remained for three and one-half years, then (1864) removing to Nashville, Illinois, where he conducted a general store under the firm name of Brannum & Elhannon. They did business together till 1868, and Mr. B. closing out his interests there came to Clinton, Missouri, and with Mr. Rehl as a partner, built a portion of his present mill. This partnership existed till 1879, when Mr. B. purchased Mr. Rehl's interest in the mill and has since managed the same. In 1878 he engaged in the dry goods business, the firm being Brannum & Son, and in 1879 disposed of it to J. M. Weidemeyer. They same year, 1879, he commenced buying grain, and has continued it when the seasons warrant him in so doing. He was one of the directors of the Henry County Bank, at the time of its organization, and in October, 1881, he was elected president, which position he now holds. He was united in marriage June 8th, 1854, with Miss Mary A. D. Pulliam, by which union he has one child, Jefferson D. Mrs. B. died May 9th, 1862. He was again married May 7th, 1863, to Miss Elizabeth Land, a native of Illinois. They have two children, James W. and Henry L. He was a member of the school board from 1875 to 1878, and in 1882 he was re-elected a member of the board. He belongs to the Masonic order. and he and his wife are connected with the M. E. Church.
BRAUN, John Frederick
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 485
John Braun, of Clinton township, was born in Wittenburg, Germany, April 9, 1859, and was of high German stock, being a son of Jacob Braun, who came to America and located in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1876. John Braun learned the trade of cigar maker and followed his trade in Kansas City for a time. After his marriage in 1882 he located in Wyandotte County, Kansas, on a farm and then settled in Johnson County, Kansas, where he followed the pursuit of agriculture until his removal to Henry County, Missouri, in 1893. Mr. and Mrs. Braun bought eighty acres of land in Clinton township and their first home in this county was a log house which was later supplanted by a handsome residence. On account of the poor health from which Mr. Braun suffered for twenty-two years, he was unable to do much work of any consequence, the task of improving a farm and making a home for the family fell to Mrs. Braun. Mr. Braun was taken seriously ill in 1895, and it became necessary to remove him to a State institution. John Braun was married on March 4, 1882, to Kathrine Rentchler, who was born in Wittenburg, Germany, May 20, 1858, the daughter of George and Barbara (Lutz) Rentcheler, who spent all of their lives in the land of their nativity. Mrs. Braun came to America in 1880 and resided in Kansas City for two years prior to her marriage. To John and Kathrine Braun have been born children as follow: Benjamin, born July 11, 1885, a land owner of Clinton township, married Ella Hoppe, daughter of August Hoppe, and has two children, Mary Ellen and Bessie May; John F., born October 15, 1887, resides on a farm in Fairview township and owns a farm in Clinton township, married Minnie, daughter of William F. Standke, and has one son, John William; George, born November 27, 1889, married Lottie, daughter of William Dunning, and has three children, Frank, William and Clayton; Mary, born January 18, 1891, lives in Clinton township, married Estes Williams and has four children, Philip, Daisy, Ellen and Dorothy; Henry, born February 16, 1893, on the home farm, married Violet Mitchell, born July 2, 1895, daughter of W. S. Mitchell, and has one child, Mildred, born August 14, 1915. Many women would have been terrified and disheartened at the prospect of shouldering the burdens of both father and mother, but Mrs. Braun is made of the material which is never afraid to try to accomplish what is necessary. To her belongs the credit of rearing her fine family, of building up and improving a fine farm and her children and many friends take pride in speaking of what she did alone and unaided when her children were small. She is a capable and intelligent woman who is proud of her fine family and takes great pride in her home. She is a member of the Golden Gate Baptist Church and has led all of her children in the paths of true morality and religion, every child being a member of this church.
BRITELL, William S.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 674
William S. Britell, senior member of the firm of Britell and VanWinkle, the leading harness dealers of Clinton, Missouri, is a native of Illinois He was born in Whiteside County in 1881, a son of Rufus H. and Katie M. (Trout) Britell, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Kentucky, both now deceased. Rufus H. Britell served in the United States Navy during the Civil War and was wounded at the battle of Mobile Bay. He came to Clinton, Missouri, in 1903 and spent the remainder of his life here. He died in 1913 at the age of eighty-one years. His wife preceded him in death a number of years, having died in 1892. They were the parents of two children: William S., the subject of this sketch; and Frank L., who lives in Kansas City, Missouri. William S. Britell was reared and educated in Henry County and followed farming until 1904. He then came to Clinton and entered the employ of W. H. Bledsoe, who conducted a harness shop, and remained with him one year. Mr. Bledsoe was then succeeded by Mr. Kibbey and Mr. Britell remained in his employ until 1917, when he and Mr. VanWinkle bought the Kibbey harness department, and have conducted this business until the present time. Mr. Britell is an experienced harness man and a skilled mechanic in that field of work. William S. Britell was united in marriage October 19, 1904, to Lydia M. Stotts of Clinton, Missouri, daughter of John O. and Hannah (Campbell) Stotts of Clinton. The mother died in 1902 and the father now resides with Mrs. Britell. Mrs. Britell is one of a family of six children born to her parents as follow: William, Harrisonville, Missouri; Fred, Clinton, Missouri; Oscar, Harrisonville, Missouri; John, deceased; Lydia M., the wife of William S. Britell, the subject of this sketch, and Samuel, Clinton, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Britell have been born four children: Katie, John, Lloyd and Iva May. Mr. Britell is one of the progressive and enterprising business men of Clinton. The firm handles stock harness and also manufactures especially for their customers, as well as doing a general line of repair work. They have a prosperous business and rank among the leading business institutions of Henry County. Mr. Britell is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America and also the Woodmen of the World.
BRITTS, George M. Dr.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 676
Dr. George M. Britts. At the beginning of the second quarter of the present century, the state of Indiana was a comparatively hew territory, and known as a part of the Great West, which, from its unsurpassed fertility and the advantages it offered for settlement, was attracting an immense emigration from the older states, especially from Virginia and Kentucky. Among those from the former states who sought a fortune in the new Eldorado, was John Britts, father of the subject of the present sketch. The home he left in Virginia was near Fincastle, Botetourt County, in the Roanoke Valley, where his father, Adam Britts, a native of Prussia had settled about the middle of the last century. John Britts family consisted of ten children, five boys and five girls: Elizabeth (married to John Myers), Samuel, Catherine (John Myers' second wife), Margaret, died young, Joel, John, David, George M., born September 11, 1812, Mary (married to James Foster), Sarah (married to Allen Harrison). From the oldest to the youngest in the order named, all came west with their parents in 1832, and settling near Ladoga, Montgomery County, Indiana, coming overland down the great Kanawha Valley to Gallipolis; thence through Dayton, Ohio, and on to their new home. About the same year, 1832, Dr. Henry Rogers, who was born February 9, 1792, and married June 5, 1817, to Elizabeth Mackey Reid, emigrated from near Winchester, Clark County, Kentucky, and settled in Montgomery County, Indiana. His family consisted of four sons and two daughters: John Alexander Rogers, born March 29, 1818; William Burgess Rogers, born March 29, 1819; Mary Jane Rogers, born November 27, 1820; Sophia Ann Rogers, born February 12, 1822; George Reid Rogers, born January 27, 1823, and Thomas Sydenham Rogers, born February 18, 1824. The heads of these two families were neighbors and friends at this early day, and the family were more closely united by the marriage of Geo. M. Britts and Mary J. Rogers, December 10, 1835. From this union there were six children, all living at this date. John Henry, born November 1, 1836, named after his two grandfathers. Susan Elizabeth, born February 5th, 1839, single, named for her two grandmothers. Sarah Jane, born January 19th, 1842, married to Elijah Reid, of Cass County, Missouri. Sophia Alice, born December 9th, 1844, married to Herman J. Huiskamp, Keokuk, Iowa. Mary Isabell, born December 20th, 1848, and married to Emerson Harris, Henry County, Missouri, and Georgie Ann Britts, born January 3d, 1855, married to Frank Taylor, of Henry County, Missouri. Immediately after his marriage George M. Britts began the study of medicine with his father-in-law, which calling he has followed continuously to the present day, though without the advantage of an education in a medical college. He, by virtue of native talent and ability, has obtained an honorable position in his profession, and enjoyed an extensive practice, and is now in his seventieth year and in vigorous health. In the fall of 1842 Dr. Henry Rogers' family, his son John A. Rogers, married to Catharine Gorman, Dr. George M. Britts, wife and his then two children, and two families by the name of Arnett, in all five families, emigrated from Indiana and settled in Henry County, Missouri, Dr. Henry Rogers locating in Clinton. Dr. John A. Rogers in the Parks neighborhood, twelve miles east of Clinton, and Dr. G. M. Britts at Calhoun, where he lived the remainder of 1842-3, and then in the summer of 1843 moved to Clinton. In a few months after their arrival in Missouri Dr. Henry Rogers lost his wife, who died at her brother's, John Reid's, house January 19th, 1843, and is buried in the family grounds, three miles southeast of Clinton. This misfortune and the idea that the climate was not healthy rendered Dr. Rogers dissatisfied. He remained at Clinton in the practice of medicine till August, 1843, when he determined to return to Indiana on a visit, taking with him his daughter Sophia and youngest son. After reaching his old home he was married September 26th, 1843, to Mrs. Jane Kirkpatrick, and decided never to return to Missouri. This was a great disappointment to the family as most of them desired to remain in Missouri and make it their future home, but rather than have the family separated, especially the two daughters, all in 1844, except Dr. John A. Rogers and family, returned to the old homestead in Indiana, where Dr. Britts lived until 1857, when he once more retraced his steps to Henry County, Missouri. Here he has since lived, following his chosen profession with a good degree of success.
BRITTS, John Henry Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 502
J. H. Britts, M.D. The subject of this sketch came from a long and honorable line of ancestry. The sketch of his father, Dr. George Britts, a prominent physician of Henry County, appears elsewhere in this work. The maiden name of his mother was Mary Jane Rogers. The former was a native of Virginia, born September 4, 1812, and the latter was born in Winchester, Kentucky, November 27, 1820. Their marriage occurred December 10, 1835, at Montgomery County, Indiana. John Henry, their oldest child, was born November 1, 1836, and was named for his grandfather. In 1842 the family emigrated to Henry County, Missouri, and settled at first in Calhoun and lived there until the summer of 1843, then coming into Clinton. Here young John attended his first school, taught by a preacher named Turner in a house on the south side of Franklin Street and a short distance from the square, opposite W. Bozarth's blacksmith shop. At this time there was no school building and but few dwellings in Clinton, the open prairie coming up to the south side of the square and it was no unusual thing to see a drove of wild deer pass within sight of the court house. In 1843 the family returned to Indiana. It will be remembered that this was the year of the great overflow, and the journey from Missouri, as usual, was begun overland, but the high water rendered it impracticable, and a steamboat was taken at Rocheport, Missouri, for Evansville, Indiana. At the latter place whilst making the landing, young Britts reaped the reward of having learned to swim. Falling overboard, unobserved, he was enabled to get ashore unaided and alone, though much to his disgust in having spoiled a pair of new shoes purchased for him in St. Louis. After his return to his native state he spent the remainder of his boyhood days in attending the public schools of the state, working on the farm and in the shop in the interval between school terms. His father not considering himself able to send him to college, he was compelled to make the best use possible of the means within his reach. When nineteen years old he taught one term of a public school near Ladoga. Having already commenced the study of medicine with his grandfather, Dr. Henry Rogers, all his available spare time was given to this. In the year of 1857, with his father's family, he again emigrated to Missouri, and continued the study of medicine with his uncle, Dr. John A. Rogers, at Clinton, and in the winter of 1857-8 attended a course of lectures at St. Louis Medical College, and the following year, 1859, set up for himself at Austin, Cass County, Missouri, where two years of hard work were sacrificed, except the experience thus brought by the event that followed. The war broke out with all the fury that characterized it on the border. There was no middle ground for any person at all prominent, and he at once set about organizing a company for state service for six months enlistment and was commissioned captain by Governor C. F. Jackson, his company being Company B, of Edgar V. Hurst's Regiment, Captain Frank Cockrell commanding Company A in the same regiment. This regiment was in General Rain's Division, Missouri State Guards, and took part in the engagements at Carthage, Wilson Creek and Lexington. The six months term of service expiring, in connection with Colonel Hurst he at once commenced to recruit a new command in Cass and Bates Counties, with headquarters on Cove Creek. While on a visit from this point to his home Col. Hurst was captured by some Kansas troops and killed. Dr. Britts at once proceeded with part of his command, mostly them that were with him in the state service, to Springfield, Missouri, where, on the 10th day of February, 1862, a company of fifty-three men were organized for the Confederate army and he was chosen captain by acclamation; Philip W. Fulkerson was elected first lieutenant; Robert Rennick, second lieutenant; and Aaron Patton, third lieutenant; John Hamilton was appointed orderly. This company remained a part of Waldo P. Johnson's Battalion till 4th day of April, 1862, when the Fourth Regiment of Infantry was organized, McFarlane, colonel, and Waldo P. Johnson, lieutenant colonel, when Dr. Britts was offered the place of major, or that of surgeon. He chose the latter on account of the advantages it would offer in the line of his chosen profession, and from this on he in that capacity followed the fortunes of his regiment, afterwards consolidated with the First Missouri Infantry, Amos Riley colonel, through many bloody engagements east of the Mississippi River, up to the siege of Vicksburg. There he was promoted to brigade surgeon, which position he only filled a few days, till he was severely wounded on the night of the 9th of June, 1863, at the city hospital, whilst in the line of duty. A 15-inch shell from the Porter Mortar Fleet came through the building and exploded in the room occupied by the hospital staff. As it happened at the time, none were in the room except himself and a Dr. Taylor, who escaped unhurt through the door before the explosion. Dr. Britts, who was held down for a time by the lath and plaster torn loose from the ceiling, was not so fortunate, and did not escape in time. He lost his right leg, and was otherwise severely wounded in the lungs and left knee, and crushed by the explosion so that it seemed incredible that any one could escape alive. But a splendid constitution and the kind care of his comrades brought him through, so that he was enabled to again return to duty as hospital surgeon at Montgomery, Alabama, the 18th of November following, and finally surrendered with the last of the Confederates at Atlanta, Georgia, May 13, 1865. Early in August of the same year, 1865, he returned to Clinton, Missouri, coming by way of Mobile, New Orleans and St. Louis, and resumed the practice of medicine and surgery in co-partnership with Dr. P. S. Jennings, which firm has continued up to the present time. In 1866 he received a diploma and adeundem degree from the Missouri Medical College. As a surgeon Dr. Britts enjoys a good reputation. In the war he was a bold operator and an efficient officer; was noted for his mechanical skill in adopting the limited means within his reach to the requirements of his patients; would cut unsparingly when necessary, but was always conservative in the practice of his profession, and was the means of saving many a wounded soldier his limbs, which others less conservative might have sacrificed. As soon after his return to Clinton as he could establish himself in practice he married on the 1st day of November, 1865, Miss Annie E. F. Lewis, daughter of Robert Lewis. Mrs. Britts was born June 18, 1839, in St. Louis County, Missouri, her grandparents having settled in Bonhomme Bottom as early as 1811. Her family is related to familiar names in the early history of Missouri, many of which were among the first settlers of the Mississippi Valley, as the Bacons, Longs, Bates and Woodsons. Their union has been blessed with six children, all girls, five of whom are living: Mary Britts, born September 5, 1866; Lucy Britts, born November 1, 1867, died May 30, 1872, Eugene Salmon Britts, born September 18, 1870; Louisa Lewis Britts, born June 6, 1875; Annie Alice Britts, born September 15, 1876, and Edith Scott Britts, born September 13, 1878. In politics Dr. Britts is a Democrat; since his enfranchisement in 1872, he has been an active worker for the success of his party, though never an aspirant for any office till the present year, 1882, when he received the Democratic nomination for the office of state senator, Sixteenth District, composed of the counties of Bates, Cass and Henry. There were three candidates: Judge J. N. Ballard, of Bates; Mr. Charles W. Sloan, of Cass, and Dr. John H. Britts, of Henry. Each county had five delegates and cast the Hancock vote of 1880, for their choice: Bates, 2,929; Cass, 2,769; Henry, 2848. The convention was held at the city of Butler, August 1, 1882, and after a contest of three days and 375 ballots cast and no choice, Mr. Charles Sloan, of Cass County, withdrew, and on the 577th ballot, Dr. Britts was nominated, and at the following election in November defeated his opponent, a Republican, Mr. H. J. Doolay, 3,129 votes, and took his seat in the Thirty-Second General Assembly, at Jefferson City, January 3, 1883.