DICKINSON, Clement Cabell
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 353
Clement C. Dickinson, one of the rising attorneys of Henry County, is a native of Prince Edward County, Virginia, and was born December 6, 1849. He is a classical scholar and was graduated from Hampton and Sidney College. From 1868 until 1872 he was principally engaged in teaching school in Kentucky. In 1872 he came to Clinton, where, for three years, he was engaged in teaching, occupying his leisure hours in preparing himself for the practice of law. He was admitted to the bar in 1876 and in the fall of that year elected prosecuting attorney which office he held with signal ability and success, until January I, 1883. As a lawyer he is a pleasant speaker and full of brilliant ideas and sound logic and he has proven himself a successful practitioner. He was married December 1882, to Miss Mattie Parks, a daughter of Judge James Parks of this city.
DIEHL, Frank P.
Deer Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 593
Frank P. Diehl, a progressive young farmer and stockman of Deer Creek township, has proven that this country is still a land of opportunity, that it is a land where one may start at the lowest rung of the ladder and by industry, succeed to an unexpected degree. Mr. Diehl is the owner of 935 acres of the finest improved land in Henry County. Eighteen years ago he purchased 160 acres of land in Deer Creek township. Prior to that he owned 335 acres of land from the estate of J. Showalter. Year by year he has added to his land holdings until he is now farming 935 acres of land won through his efforts and initiative. He has increased his herds of cattle each year as he has increased his acreage for their care and now is shipping from two to four carloads of cattle each year. Frank P. Diehl was born February 20, 1869, in Monroe County, Ohio, the son of John C. and Sophia (Newhart) Diehl, who are retired farmers living at Clinton, Missouri. John C. Diehl was born July 3, 1835, in Germany and when an infant came with his parents to the United States. They settled in Pennsylvania, later moving to Ohio, where they remained as leading agriculturists of their community. John C. Diehl answered his country's call during the Civil War and served in an Ohio regiment. To John C. Diehl and Sophia Newhart were born twelve children, ten of whom grew to maturity, eight boys and two girls. In 1881 Mr. and Mrs. John C. Diehl came to Deer Creek township, Henry County, and purchased 160 acres of land, tilling the soil until their retirement a few years ago. Frank P. Diehl was a lad of twelve years when his parents came to Henry County and he attended the district school, and later he supplemented his education by attending the Lamkin Academy at Clinton. After finishing school Mr. Diehl worked as a carpenter in southwestern Colorado. For some time he was employed as a bookkeeper in a lumber yard and was interested in silver mining. After spending six years in the west he came home on a visit and has never returned. February 20, 1895, Mr. Diehl was married to Lillie Showalter, who was born in Henry County, February 23, 1869, the daughter of Jacob Showalter, who was amongst the earliest pioneers in Henry County, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Diehl as follow: Opal, now Mrs. H. Brockway of Calhoun; Hazel, Thelma and Virgil, residing at home. Frank P. Diehl is an extensive buyer and feeder of beef cattle, shipping many carloads each year. He may be justly proud of his achievements during his short stay on the farm. He has one of the finest improved farms in the county and ranks high as a farmer and stockman. Politically he is a Democrat and he is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is a stockholder in the Bank of Calhoun.
DILLON, Alfred G.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 546
Alfred G. Dillon, farmer and stockman, proprietor of a splendid farm of 280 acres in Windsor township, Henry County, is a member of one of the old pioneer families of this county. He was born November 12, 1856, on a farm in Tebo township and is the son of Thomas A. and Mildred A. (Askins) Dillon, who were parents of two children: Alfred G., subject of this sketch; and Lucinda M., deceased, wife of W. F. Burchman. Thomas A. Dillon was born in Ireland in 1824 and died in 1901. He was the son of Edward and Margaret (Hardy) Dillon, natives of Dublin, Ireland, who emigrated to America in 1831, and first settled in Cooper County, Missouri. By means of incredible labor, Edward Dillon cleared a farm from the timber of Cooper County and was one of the earliest pioneer settlers in that county. He died at Sarcoxie, Missouri. His wife died in Cedar County, Missouri, at the age of eighty-seven years. Thomas A. Dillon came to Henry County in 1853 and established a grocery and general store at Calhoun, which he conducted for a while, sold out and operated a store in Clinton until some time in 1854, when he engaged permanently in farming and stock raising in Tebo township. Mr. Dillon became owner of 600 acres of good land in Tebo township, all of which he accumulated solely by his own efforts, beginning his active career without a dollar of his own. He was married in 1854 to Mildred A. Askins, who was born in Rappahannock County, Virginia, in 1831 and departed this life in 1898. She was the daughter of Rev. Alfred and Lucinda (Jones) Askins, both of whom were natives of Virginia. Alfred Askins was a minister of the Primitive Baptist Church. Alfred G. Dillon attended the district schools and also the Calhoun schools for two terms. He began his active career as farmer and stockman in 1878, when he purchased 240 acres of land three miles west of Windsor. He traded this tract for Windsor property in 1880 and then traded the Windsor property for his present farm in Windsor township. Mr. Dillon has improved his land to a considerable extent and raises red polled cattle for the market. In addition to his farming interests he is a stockholder in both banks at Calhoun, Missouri. On November 14, 1882, Alfred G. Dillon and Miss Mollie F. Sappington were united in marriage. Mrs. Mollie F. Dillon was born July 13, 1861, in Windsor township, the daughter of Squire Boone and Jemima (Jermison) Sappington, well-known residents of Windsor township, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. One child has been born to Alfred G. and Mollie F. Dillon, namely: Mildred J., wife of C. W. Lambeth, a sketch of whom also appears in this volume. The Democratic party has always had the support of Mr. Dillon. He and Mrs. Dillon are members of the Calhoun Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Mystic Workers.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 775
Cornelius Dixon, section 6, is one of the enterprising farmers and stock dealers of this township. He was born in St. Joseph County, Indiana, September 16, 1840. His father, Hezekiah Dixon, a native of Ohio, grew to manhood in that state, and was married to Melinda Hollingshead, of the same locality. The family moved to Indiana in 1835 and settled in St. Joseph County, where they still reside. Cornelius passed his youthful days on the home farm, his early education being acquired in the common schools. He afterward attended the Mishawaka Academy, and spent about three years at the Northern Indiana College, preparing himself for a teacher. After completing his studies at this school he engaged in the mercantile business, in 1863, at Augusta, Illinois, continuing in trade there for one year. In 1864 he went to South Bend, Indiana, and gave his attention to business until 1870, when he removed to Missouri and settled in Henry County, working in a store the first winter, and in the following spring he went to farming, and has since divided his time between the farm in the summer and teaching during the winter. Mr. Dixon owns 300 acres of land in Henry County, 260 acres of which is fenced and under cultivation. Besides his home farm he owns a farm of 160 acres in Minnesota and town property in Mishawaka, Indiana. He was married at Augusta, Illinois, June 26, 1865, to Miss Drucilla A. Browning, a native of Hancock County, Illinois, and a daughter of C. W. Browning. They have a family of six children: Henry A., Edna B., Wilber C., Susan M., James E. and Melinda May. Mr. Dixon is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
DIXON, William D.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 567
William D. Dixon was born December 8, 1832, in Greenup County, Kentucky, his parents being William and Unity Dixon, nee Hackworth. The former, who during life was engaged in farming and stock raising, was born in 1791 in Bedford County, Virginia, and the latter was born in the same county in 1793. They were married in the year 1818 and had six children, five of whom are living. In 1827 they emigrated to Catlettsburg, then Greenup, but now Boyd County, Kentucky, and remained there until 1865, coming thence to Henry County, Missouri, with their son, William D., with whom they remained until their death. Mrs. Dixon died in July of 1869, after an illness of several years, and her husband died in February of 1873. William D. Dixon married Miss Susan McDaniel, daughter of John C. McDaniel, of Henry County, Missouri. By this marriage there were seven children, four daughters and three sons, of whom six remain. The second child, a daughter, died of severe burns. Mrs. D. departed this life March 7, 1871, and on December 7, 1881, he married Mrs. Zana M. Muse, widow of Joseph E. Muse, of Christian County, Missouri. They have one child, a daughter. Mr. Dixon in 1859 took charge of the farm of John C. McDaniel, near Windsor, upon which he remained until after the war, when he bought forty acres of land and continued farming until 1873. Since that time he has followed brickmaking. He has disposed of his property recently with the intention of removing to Holden, Johnson County, there to engage in the manufacture of brick upon a large scale. Politically, he is a Democrat.
DOANE, John H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 509
John H. Doane, of the firm of Brannum & Doane, grain dealers, is a native of Penobscot, County, Maine, and was born April 21, 1835. He resided on a farm in the county of his birth until reaching manhood, and there received a good common school education. When about twenty-one years of age he went to Hennepin County, Minnesota, and engaged in the lumber business at Minneapolis, at which point he remained for four years. Returning east, for eighteen months he resided in Boston, Massachusetts. In September, 1869, he came to Henry County, Missouri, and for one year was occupied in the handling of lightning rods. After this time he resumed farming and successfully followed it till the fall of 1879, when he embarked in the grain business, which he has continued more or less since. In the fall of 1882 the firm of Brannum & Doane built the elevator where they now do such an enterprising business. Mr. Doane has a fine farm in this county of 160 acres, well improved. He was married in June, 1858, to Miss Sarah A. Turner, a native also of Maine. They have two children: Charles H. and Lola. He was once alderman of Clinton, and also for one term township assessor.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 609
David Dodds, a pioneer of Henry County, was born in Butler County, Ohio, May 15, 1812. His father, John Dodds, was a native of Ireland, and immigrated to the United States when a young man. He married Margaret Miller, originally from Pennsylvania. David accompanied his parents on their move from Ohio to Indiana, and settled in Cass County in 1830, being among the pioneers there. He spent his youth on the farm, and in 1836, came to Missouri, locating in Cooper County, where he was engaged in farming, and where he resided about seventeen years. He was married in Cooper County December 20, 1838, to Miss Martha Jane Shirley, a Kentuckian by birth, and a daughter of George Shirley. In 1853, Mr. D. came to Henry County and located on the land where he has since resided, and which he entered some two years after. He was one of the first citizens of Deepwater Township, and one among the first in the county. He now has a farm of 200 acres in his home place, on section 21, all improved. fenced, etc. He also has forty acres of timber, and a farm of fifty acres near Appleton City, in St. Clair County. Mr. Dodds has raised a family of twelve children: Cynthia Jane (now Mrs. J. Hill), Elizabeth (now Mrs. Isom Stubblefield), John, Jesse L., Charles A., Margaret (wife of James McBride), Matilda Dodds, Mary C. (wife of James Cook), Thomas C., Amanda (wife of James A. McBride). Martha J. and David. Mr. and Mrs. D. are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 679
Jacob Doll, a prominent farmer and stock man of White Oak township, is a native of Ohio, born in Tuscarawas County, September 9, 1862; he is a son of John and Mary (Wesner) Doll, natives of Germany, who settled in Ohio upon immigrating to this country. Later they moved to Illinois, where they remained until 1867. They then came to Missouri and settled in White Oak township, Henry County, where the father first bought eighty acres of land. He prospered in his undertaking and bought more land from time to time, and when he died, September 1, 1907, he was the owner of over four hundred acres. He was an industrious man and a good citizen, and is one of the pioneers who is entitled to a share of credit for making Henry County what it is today. His widow resides on the old home place in White Oak township. They were the parents of the following children: John, who lives in Walker township; Jacob, the subject of this sketch; William, lives in Walker township; Effie, resides on the home place with her mother, and Lizzie, a stenographer in Kansas City, Missouri. Jacob Doll was reared on a farm and attended school at Maple Grove and Lucas districts. He has made farming and stock raising the principal occupation of his life, and is the owner of a valuable farm, well improved and well stocked, located in White Oak township. His farm consists of two hundred forty-two acres of productive land located about a half mile west of Lucas. Mr. Doll was united in marriage January 3, 1889, to Miss Alpha M. Webb, a daughter of Isaac and Hettie Webb. Mrs. Doll was born in Illinois December 4, 1868, and her father died in that State when she was a child. After the death of the father, the mother came to Missouri with her family in 1880 and died here the following year. Mrs. Doll has one brother, Orville, who now resides in California. To Mr. and Mrs. Doll have been born the following children: Lula Mabel, at home; Arthur C., Quay, Oklahoma; Mary, married M. Q. Herrell, Urich, Missouri; Alpha H., married C. R. Henny; Albert H., at home; Elmer T. J., at home; Frances Lillian, died at the age of eight years; and Alice Lucile; and Etta Lois, born June 7, 1918. Mr. Doll is comparatively a young man as ages are reckoned nowadays, but he is also what might be considered an early settler of Henry County, when the development, which has taken place, since he came here, is taken into consideration. He recalls the time when a great deal of their supplies, such as lumber and other building material, were hauled from Holden, and it has not been very long ago that his nearest post office was at Clinton, a distance of twenty miles, and his mail waited for him to go after it. He says that his first spring buggy was a Ford that up to the time of the introduction of automobiles he used a lumber wagon for all the joy riding in which he indulged. Mr. Doll relates many incidents of early life in Henry County. They had their grinding done at Cook's Mill and the early settlers, many of them, had to come a long distance to mill, and there were no roads nor bridges. He relates an instance in which he and his brother went to mill with twenty bushels of corn, and while there a sudden rainstorm raised White Oak Creek to the flood stage and when they crossed it on their return home, they put poles across the wagon bed and placed their meal sacks Over the poles and thus succeeded in fording the creek without getting their meal wet. This is one of the hundreds of his early-day experiences. Mr. and Mrs. Doll are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
DOLL, John Jr.
John Doll and his capable wife settled upon their 160 acre farm in Walker township in February, 1896. The place had little or no improvements worthy of the name. Since that time they have developed one of the most attractive farms in Henry County and the Doll farm is now improved with a very pretty white cottage, a large, well-kept barn, three sheds, and the entire tract is fenced with wire. The Doll farms embrace 480 acres in all, 160 acres of which is located in White Oak township and is cultivated by Mr. Doll and his sons, and he has 160 acres additional in Walker township. The 160 acre farm near White Oak Church is the old Jacob Barth place. Mr. Doll received 120 acres by inheritance from his father's estate. John Doll was born in 1859 in Greene County, Ohio and is a son of John Doll, a biography of whom is given in connection with the sketch of William Doll in this volume. Mr. Doll came to Henry County in 1867 from Illinois, where his parents had removed from Ohio in 1862. He was married October 20, 1895, to Miss Helen Barth, who was born on the Barth homestead in White Oak township, February 23, 1870, a daughter of John and Mary (Lebold) Barth, a sketch of whom appears in this volume and who are mentioned in many places in this. work. John Barth was one of the most successful of the Henry County pioneer citizens and left a large estate. The beginning of the Barth fortunes in Missouri was a gift of 487 acres which was given to Mr. and Mrs. Barth from the Lebold estate. The five children of John and Maria (Lebold) Barth, each received 96 acres from this estate, and Mr. Barth gave each child an additional acreage so as to round out an 160-acre farm. When Mr. and Mrs. John Doll settled on the tract they paid $100 for the existing improvements, which were of a negligible character. They at once set to work and in the course of time, and by means of hard work and good management, they created a splendid and highly productive farm. They have built up the fertility of the land, which too often, in this section of Missouri, becomes worn out through a succession of the same cropping. They have added other acreage and now own 480 acres of valuable farm land. Three children have been born to John and Helen Doll: Herman William, born September 14, 1896, was married to Cora Woirhaye, October 31, 1917, and is farming in Walker township; Emmet John, born November 16, 1899; Roy Samuel, born January 21, 1903. While Mr. Doll has generally been an adherent of the Republican party, he takes pride in the fact that he cast his vote for President Woodrow Wilson at the last Presidential election. He and Mrs. Doll were originally members of the Lucas Methodist Episcopal Church, but they and the children are now members of the White Oak Methodist Church and attend the Sunday school at the latter place.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 496
Photos: John Doll Family
DOLL, Walter Herman
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 681
Walter H. Doll, a well-to-do farmer of White Oak township, was born in the township where he now resides, June 30, 1882. He is the son of Leonard and Margaret (Janette) Doll, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Switzerland. Leonard Doll, the father, first lived in Ohio for a time after coming to America, and then went to Illinois. He came from Illinois to Missouri some years prior to the Civil War and engaged in the mercantile business at Clinton, and he was one of the first merchants there. After the close of the Civil War, he settled in White Oak township, near Lucas, and here spent the remainder of his life. He died in 1899 and was preceded in death by his wife, who died in 1896. They were the parents of the following children: Jacob, a farmer and stockman in White Oak township; Andrew, Bates County; John, who lives in White Oak township; Charles, Urich, Missouri; Maggie, now the wife of Henry Herman, Butler, Missouri; and Tena, now the wife of Max Fellhauer, Clinton, Missouri. Walter H. Doll was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools at Lucas. He remained at home with his parents, while they lived. He purchased his present place, which is located one and one-half miles southwest of Lucas, in 1908, and since locating here he has added valuable improvements to his place and it is now one of the fine farms of White Oak township. Mr. Doll is quite extensively engaged in the cattle business and also raises pureblood spotted Poland China hogs and Oxford sheep. Mr. Doll was married in 1908 to Miss Bertha Bunch, a daughter of Mart and Laura (Ridge) Bunch of Honey Creek township. Mart and Laura (Ridge) Bunch are the parents of the following children: Bertha, now Mrs. Walter H. Doll; George, Honey Creek township; Otto, Walker township; Lora, resides at home; Ruth, married Elmer Hardison; Winnie and Grace at home. To Mr. and Mrs. Walter H. Doll have been born three children, Andrew, Elvis and Otto. Mr. Doll is of the thrifty and progressive type of American farmer and is making good. He is one of Henry County's substantial and valued citizens, and the Doll family are highly respected members of the community.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 440
Photos: William Doll Family
William Doll. In the north central part of Walker township is a group of some of the prettiest farms in western Missouri in which the owners take a just and abiding pride in constantly improving and making more beautiful. The farm home of William Doll furnishes a striking example of what can be done upon a tract of Missouri prairie land, and the tract of one hundred sixty acres is undeniably one of the finest improved farms in the western part of Missouri. A pretty cottage home faces a well kept roadway, the home being fronted by a beautiful lawn ornamented with large shade trees, and a handsome wrought iron fence. All of the farm buildings are kept in first class condition and well painted. Mr. Doll has another farm of one hundred sixty acres in White Oak township. William Doll was born in 1864 in Edgar County, Illinois, and is the son of John and Mary (Wisner) Doll, natives of Germany, who first settled in Ohio after emigrating to America. They next made settlement in Illinois and from that State came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1867. The Doll family can justly lay claim to being one of the pioneer families of this county. The elder Doll settled in White Oak township and resided on his farm in that township until his death in 1907. The widowed mother still resides at White Oak having arrived at the great age of eighty-one years, her birth having been April 1, 1837. Mrs. Doll came to America aboard a sailing vessel. She boarded a ship at London on March 19, 1857, and the ship "Victoria" required forty-nine days to make the journey to New York. John Doll, the father, was born in Baden, Germany, November 17, 1831, and died September 2, 1907. He was married on February 14, 1858, to Mary Wisner. He removed from Ohio to Illinois in 1862 and thence to Missouri in 1867. To John and Mary (Wisner) Doll were born five children: William, subject of this review; John, Walker township; Jacob, a successful farmer of White Oak township; Effie and Lizzie, the former of whom is at home with her mother and the latter is in Kansas City, Missouri. William Doll was married in 1896 to Miss Elizabeth Barth, who has borne him three children: Anna Mabel, born June 26, 1908; Florence May, died at the age of nine years, eleven months and nineteen days; one child died in infancy. Mrs. Lizzie (Barth) Doll was born in 1872 in White Oak township, and is a daughter of John and Mary (Lebold) Barth, who were among the best known of the substantial pioneer citizens of Henry County. John Barth was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, January 10, 1838, and died near Lucas, Missouri, June 6, 1917. He was married September 21, 1862, to Maria Lebold, who was born in Bolivar, Ohio, and died January 12, 1874. This marriage was blessed with five children, as follow: John W., Dora Gretzinger, Mrs. Helen Doll, Mrs. Lizzie Doll, and Jacob S. Barth. On November 4, 1875, Mr. Barth was married to Sophia Rombold, who died May 27, 1911. She bore him ten children, nine of whom are living: Albert H., Maggie, deceased; Mrs. Clara Sevier, Josie, George, Tressie, Mrs. Ida Henny, Robert, Walter, David. John Barth immigrated to America in 1852 and located in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. From there he came to Missouri in the spring of 1868 and settled in White Oak township. During the course of years in active farming operations in Henry County he accumulated a large estate valued at over $100,000. He became owner of 2,280 acres of land which he divided among his children as they became of age and desired to make homes of their own. He was president of the Farmers Bank of Urich and was universally respected and admired as one of the county's most sterling, upright and successful citizens. He was a member of the Lutheran Church and his life was so lived that the example he set of industry and right living will forever serve as an inspiration and guide to his descendants. Upon his marriage William Doll settled upon a one hundred sixty acre farm which was given to Mr. and Mrs. Doll by the late John Barth. This farm they have successfully built up and have added another tract of one hundred sixty acres to their holdings in this county. Mr. and Mrs. Doll are members of the Lucas Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Doll is inclined to the Republican view of things political, while Mrs. Doll is a pronounced adherent of Democratic principles. They are kindly and hospitable people who are progressive and enterprising in their views and stand high among the citizenship of Henry County.
DORMAN, Jerubial Gideon Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 510
J. G. Dorman was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, July 17, 1818. His father, Matthew Dorman, was born on the eastern shore of Maryland, and is of Scotch ancestry. He was by occupation a farmer. His mother's maiden name was Atlanta Barnes, a native of Virginia. The subject of this sketch was principally reared in Gallatin County, Kentucky, and his early education was obtained at the primitive log school house, a distance of three miles from his father's dwelling. The monotony of his daily duties on the farm became irksome and in a desire for a change he quit farming, and for several years "ran" the western rivers. In February, 1849, he started from Quincy, Illinois, for the Pacific Coast by water; he was wrecked in the Caribbean Sea and driven into the port of Balize, Honduras. Resuming his journey he finally arrived on the coast of California, remaining for a short time and then returned to his home in Quincy. In 1852 he was married to Mrs. Udolpha F Eagle, whose maiden name was Miller. By this union there are six children: Charles D., William H., George H., Oscar, Emma K. and Ollie V. Mrs. Dorman has one son by a former marriage, J. E. Eagle, associated with Mr. Dorman in selling goods at Montrose. In 1855 Mr. D. removed to Henry County and engaged in mercantile pursuits and at one time his house was the only business house of any importance in the county. In 1860 he was elected one of the county judges. In 1872 he was called upon by the Democracy of the county to accept the nomination for the position of member of the lower house of the twenty-seventh general assembly, which nomination he accepted and was subsequently elected by a large majority. As a member of the legislature he was industrious in the interests of his constituents; closely attentive to all business before the house and prompt in his attendance; jealous of the interest of the people in the expenditure of the public funds and honest in the discharge of every duty. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank and for a time held the position of president. In politics he is a Democrat and is radical in his enforcement of the Jeffersonian test for office. Is he honest ? Is he capable ? He is a man of liberal views and sound judgment.
DORMAN, William Henry
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 700
William H. Dorman, merchant, a native of Henry County, Missouri, was born in Clinton, October 18, 1855, and is the son of Judge J. G. Dorman, a sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this work. William H. spent his youth at Clinton attending the public school, where he received a good education in the common English branches, supplemented with a course at Jones' Commercial College, at St. Louis. In 1877 he became engaged in selling musical instruments and sewing machines at Clinton, and in 1880 started in the mercantile business at Warsaw, continuing in trade there about one year. Selling out he purchased the property and stock of merchandise at his present place of business in Norris. He carries a large and well selected stock of general merchandise, including dry goods, clothing, groceries, etc., and is doing an extensive business. Mr. Dorman was appointed postmaster at Norris October 25, 1882. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and also of the Encampment. He was married in this county February 12, 1880, to Miss Alice L. Gray, a daughter of John L. Gray, who was one of the pioneer settlers of Henry County. They have one child, Lilith M., born October 12, 1882. Mr. Dorman is an enterprising business man, and one of the substantial men of this locality.
DOUGLAS, Henry T.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 568
Henry T. Douglas was born July 30, 1825, in Howard County, Missouri, and was the son of James and Eleanor (Moore) Douglas, the former born in Madison County, Kentucky, January 1785, and the latter, also a Kentuckian by birth, born November 19, 1792. They were married in 1804, and were the parents of five sons and four daughters, and of this number two children are now living. In 1804 the emigrated from Kentucky to St. Louis County, Missouri, going thence to Howard County, and for years they were compelled to seek protection, more or less, in Fort Kincaid, on account of Indian hostilities. When these troubles ceased Mr. D obtained a small farm, commenced its cultivation and remained in that county until 1835, when he sold out, removing with his family to Rives County. He at first took up a claim near the present site of Windsor, but sold to John Woodard who still owns it. Subsequently he purchased a claim of 160 acres, where he remained till his death, which occurred April 20, 1854, after an illness of fourteen days. His widow died November 21, 1865. Henry's primary education commenced at the age of ten years, under the tutorship of Colby Stephenson, in Rives (now Henry) County, Missouri, he attending one term, of three months only, and his next tutor, Amos H. Goodin, also taught for three terms; he attended one term, of about three months, under Cyrus P. Arbuckle, and one term in the school of Charles Snelling. In 1852 he received his first deed, or patent, for forty acres of land, on section 36. This he sold in 1865, to John Woodard. He is a blacksmith by trade, at which occupation he worked for several years, both in Calhoun, Henry County, and Jefferson Township, Johnson County, from 1845 to 1857. In 1857 he sold his farm of 120 acres, in Johnson County, going to Windsor, for the purpose of erecting a grist and saw mill, in company with his brother, Daniel M. Douglas, and that mill they conducted for three years, or until the opening of the war. In 1870 he purchased thirty acres on section 36, this township, where he now resides. April 3, 1851, he married Miss Catherine P. Painter, daughter of George W. and Lucretia Painter, the former a native of Germany, and the latter of Lincoln County, Kentucky. Mr. Painter died March 29, 1835, and his widow in the year of 1838. By this union there have been thirteen children: L. E., born September 30, 1852, has been engaged in teaching for ten years, and is now one of the corps of teachers in the Windsor school; Mary E. born January 3, 1854, married George W. Jackson, of Windsor, April 6, 1882; Frances J., born September 29, 1855, married James H. Ogan, of Pettis County, Missouri; George W., born February 22, 1857, resides in this township; James M., born May 14, 1859, died October 13, of the same year; Otis F., born September 6, 1860, is now residing in Stone County, Missouri, engaged in teaching and the improvement of a new farm of 120 acres, owned by the family; John W., born September 7, 1863; Sarah C., born March 26, 1865; Henry T., Jr., born March 7, 1867; Almira B., born March 14, 1869; Newton G., born September 2, 1872, and Daisy D. born November 14, 1874. Mr. Douglas was the second assessor in this township, serving for three years. He has been a member of the Masonic order for thirty-two years. August 30, 1872, Mr. Douglas met with quite an accident, which nearly cost him his life. Engaged in running an engine, an explosion occurred, by which he was terribly mutilated, in body and in limb. Since his recovery his lodge, No. 29, of Windsor, has constantly made him tyler. Himself, wife and three daughters, are members of the Christian Church at Windsor, he having been connected therewith for forty-one years. His political views are Democratic.
DOYLE, William Merrill
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 785
William M. Doyle, section 4, one of the enterprising and energetic men of the county, was born in White County, Middle Tennessee, April 12, 1836. His father, James H., was from South Carolina, and died November 6, 1881. his mother is still living. Her maiden name was Elizabeth Fryer. Of ten children William was the fourth. One brother, Joseph A., is the former well known county clerk. The eldest, John W., is in Texas. Simon J. is in California. George W., Henry A. and Mary T. are still living in Tennessee. Young Doyle acquired a good education at the Union Hill Academy in Tennessee, and in 1856, when twenty. years of age, he came to Missouri in company with the Avery brothers. He engaged in teaching school in Henry County for some time, then returned to Tennessee, and in 1859 once more came to Missouri. He crossed the plains to California in company with W. A. Hastain and Mr. Avery with a drove of 109 head of cattle. He made about $700 in this enterprise and remained in California until the close of the war. While there he built toll bridges on Uba River. During the two last years he was in the silver mines of Nevada. In 1866 he returned to Clinton and gave his attention to the mercantile business with J. M. Avery for three years, and in that he started a branch store at Birmingham, where they laid out the town. In 1870 he removed to his farm, which he began to improve and to deal in stock, and he has since been handling stock quite extensively. He has taken some interest in breeding short horns and has a herd of twenty thoroughbreds. Within the past year Mr. Doyle purchased a brand of cattle in Texas, one herd of 900 cattle and 130 horses. He has a fine farm of 960 acres lying three miles east of Clinton, all of which is in a good state of improvement; 110 acres are set to apples. In the spring of 1875 he was chosen cashier of the Clinton National Bank. He filled that position for one summer, and in November following, together with W. H. Cock, engaged in the general commission business in St. Louis, remaining there but four months. In 1876 he lived in Bates County. In 1877 he again moved to his farm and has since resided there. May 9, 1867, Mr. Doyle was united by marriage to Miss Mary Walker, daughter of that old pioneer, Pleasant Walker. She was born in Shawnee Township May 1, 1849. They have five children living: Pleasant H., Bessie Adeline, Sadie Belle, George and Joseph. Harvey, the eldest, died when one year old. Mary died at the age of five, January 26, 1882, and James and William, twins, aged eighteen months, died about the same time as Mary, making three children buried within the year. Mrs. Doyle is connected with the Missionary Baptist Church. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity, having joined that order while in California.
DRACH, John Jr.
Fields Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 776
Photos: John Drach
John Drach, Jr. - There are always in the settlement of every locality, a few men from whom historic points seem to radiate, and who are entitled to the honor and glory of the development of that particular part of a new country. This may be truly said of John Drach, Jr., public administrator and one of the worthy pioneers of Henry County. Mr. Drach was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May 20, 1842, and is a son of George and Margaret (Kling) Drach, natives of Pennsylvania. The Drach family lived pioneer lives and were early settlers in St. Clair County, Illinois. They saw it in its manifold aspects. They saw the development of the wild and unbroken plains of western Missouri at a time when few folks knew or appreciated what this meant. At the close of the Civil War and for a few years thereafter, George Drach and family made their home in the vicinity of Belleville, in St. Clair County, Illinois, but when John came West and located in Missouri, in the fall of 1867, he left all of his kin and kindred behind, for the time being and was joined by his parents in 1868. He began life in a new locality, under new conditions, where manhood and integrity meant all, and family pedigree nothing. George Drach and the family came to Henry County in March, 1868. The Drachs first located one and a half miles west of Lucas Post office and moved to the Drach home place in the spring of 1871. George Drach labored to make a home for his family and before this end was accomplished he died in 1883. His wife, undismayed by misfortune, continued to make her home in this county and rear her family, all of whom practically reached the age of maturity. She died in 1892. To George and Margaret Drach were born the following children: John, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Annie M. Kruse, St. Louis, Missouri; George Drach, who died at Girard Illinois, May 6, 1917; Julius, born August 6, 1859, and died at Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Harry, died at Cripple Creek, Colorado; Catharine C., housekeeper for John Drach; Edward E., born December 6, 1850, and now resides at Denver, Colorado, and Alfred Edward, who died in childhood. Mr. Drach is one of the enterprising and progressive farmers and stockmen of the county and is the owner of one of Henry County's best farms, owning altogether 135 acres, located four miles north of Clinton on the Warrensburg road. Since coming to Henry County he has made many improvements and today ranks as one of Henry County's most progressive citizens and fearless voters. Mr. Drach is regarded as one of the most progressive citizens of Henry County, and has done his part ably and well in the furtherance of progress. In politics he is a Democrat.
DRAKE, Charles Ward
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 665
Charles W. Drake, druggist at Huntingdale, was born in Henry County, Missouri, October 22, 1848, his parents being Jesse W. and Sallie Drake, nee McCarty. Charles divided the early days of his youth between working on a farm and attending the common schools in the county. In 1880 he embarked in the dry goods and grocery business at Huntingdale, following it until becoming engaged in the drug business. In 1881 he was appointed justice of the peace and in 1882 he was elected constable. February 4, 1869, Mr. Drake married Miss Lucy A. Covington. They have three children: Hattie A., William C. and Harvey W. Mr. D. is a member of the M. E. Church South. He belongs to the I. O. O. F. fraternity, and is also connected with Agricola Lodge, No. 343, A. F. & A. M.
DRAKE, Charles Ward
Huntingdale, Shawnee Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 798
C. W. Drake, a merchant of Huntingdale, Missouri, is one of the old pioneers of Henry County, having lived in the village of Huntingdale since November, 1855. Mr. Drake was born in Deer Creek township, Henry County October 22, 1848, the son of Jesse W. and Eliza (Pinnell) Drake. Jesse W. was born in Kentucky in 1823 and came to Henry County in 1840, settling in Deer Creek township. In 1849, when gold was discovered in California, Mr. Drake joined a party and made the trip across the country in a rude ox wagon, enduring all of the hardships of those gold seekers. He died in 1850 at Sacremento, California. Mrs. Eliza Drake was born November 15, 1827, in Virginia and when a very small child her parents, F. A. Pinnell and family, came to Henry County, arriving in 1830. F. A. Pinnell was the first county clerk of Henry County, then known as Rives County. The offices of county clerk, circuit clerk and recorded were all one office and for eighteen years Mr. Pinnell faithfully filled this office. Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Drake were the parents of two children: Mrs. Hattie Freeman, born September 3, 1846, now deceased, and C. W. Drake, the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Eliza Drake was married a second time to Dr. E. C. Royston, who died July 10, 1898. Doctor Royston lived in Huntingdale since 1855 and was an old familiar figure in this locality. Mrs. Royston survives him several year's, living to be at the age of ninety-one years, loved and revered by all that know her. C. W. Drake was educated in the schools of Huntingdale and for a number of years followed farming. In 1880 he purchased the general merchandise store in Huntingdale from Ben Quarles, disposing of the same in 1884. In 1906 he purchased the present building and opened up a new stock of general merchandise. The marriage of C. W. Drake and Lucy Covington was solemnized February 4, 1869. She was the daughter of John O. and Eliza Ann Covington, the former born in Delaware and the latter in Kentucky. They are both deceased. Mrs. Lucy Drake passed away July 2, 1893. She was the mother of three children: Hattie E., deceased; William C. and Harvey W., deceased. October 28, 1897, Mr. Drake was united in marriage to Maude Bailey, a daughter of J. W. and Julia Bailey. The former resides in Blame County, Oklahoma, and the latter is deceased. By this marriage Mr. and Mrs. Drake have two children: Jessie and Royston, both at home with their parents. Mr. Drake is a Democrat and for forty years has filled the office of constable and served as justice of the peace for the past three years. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
DRIGGS, John A.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 511
John A. Driggs owes his nativity to Monroe County, Ohio, where he was born January 28, 1843. He was there reared and educated, following in his youth the occupation of farming, at which he was engaged at the commencement of the war. He then enlisted, in 1861, in Company E, Sixty-second Ohio Regiment, and served till the battle of Fair Oaks, Virginia, where he was wounded in one of the lower limbs, which maimed him for life. From that time till he was discharged, June, 1865, he was in the hospital at Fort Monroe and Camp Dennison, Ohio, receiving his discharge from the latter place. In 1865, he returned home, and was occupied in merchandising at Ozark, Ohio, till 1869. In May of that year he came to Clinton, and in 1870 was elected circuit clerk, serving for four years in a very acceptable manner. Then for one year he was interested in the insurance business, after which he embarked in the furniture trade, continuing it till 1880. Mr. D. was married October 16, 1873, to Miss Estella Brown, a native of Ohio. They have one child, Eva M. He is a member of the I.O.O.F and A. O. U. W. fraternities, and also of the K. of P. He and his wife belong to the M. E. Church. In 1874, Mr. Driggs was a member of the city council of Clinton.
DRIGGS, William Alfred
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 620
Photos: Driggs Home
W. A. Driggs, president and manager of the Peoples Hardware Company at Clinton, Missouri, is one of the well-known and successful business men of Henry County. Mr. Driggs was born in Woodsfield, Monroe County, Ohio, September 28, 1854, and is a son of William and Sarah Louise (Boyd) Driggs, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Alexandria, Virginia. William Driggs, the father, came from New England to Ohio with his parents when he was a child. In 1868 he came from Ohio to Missouri, and settled in Henry County. At that time the nearest railroad to Henry County was at Warrensburg, and when he came here he made the trip from Warrensburg to Clinton by stage. He purchased a farm adjoining the city of Clinton on the north for which he paid forty dollars per acre. Here he followed farming and stock raising, the remainder of his life, with the exception of the last few years, when he built a home in Clinton and practically retired. He died April 28, 1891, age seventy-nine years, and his wife departed this life December 23rd of the same year. Five of their children are now living, Estella, the wife of John H. Lust, Altamont, Kansas; W. A., the subject of this sketch; Sopha, the wife of John C. Goodell, Mound Valley, Kansas; A. L. Baldwin, Kansas; Mary Frances, the wife of E. L. Redding, San Francisco, California. W. A. Driggs was educated in the public schools of Henry County, receiving a good common school education. When he was nineteen years of age he went to learn the tinner's trade and for thirteen years worked as a journeyman tinner. He then engaged in the hardware business in Clinton, in partnership with G. W. Thomas, under the firm name of Driggs & Thomas. This firm did business about one year, when Mr. Driggs purchased his partner's interest and conducted the business alone until 1897, when he went to Nebraska. After remaining there about a year he went to Kansas and in 1901 returned to Clinton, where he engaged in the furniture business, under the title of the Clinton Furniture Company. Three years later he disposed of the furniture business and bought the hardware business which had been conducted by Thomas & Foster, and in 1910 incorporated this business under the corporate name of the Peoples Hardware Company, and since that time has been president and manager of this institution. This is tone of the extensive hardware establishments of Henry County, and it is seldom that one finds such a complete line of hardware made up of such clean stock as is found in this establishment. The store is located on the east side of the square and has a frontage of twenty-three feet and is one hundred feet deep. Two stories are occupied by the hardware business besides a large warehouse in the rear. Mr. Driggs was united in marriage, June 12, 1888, to Miss Nanna R. Holliday, a daughter of George H. Holliday, deceased. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Driggs, Mary Louise, who resides at home with her parents and John, who now holds a commission as first lieutenant in the National Army of the United States. Mr. Driggs is a member of the Independent Order of United Workman, Modern Woodmen of America and the Methodist Episcopal Church. One of the greatest bereavement of Mr. Driggs life occurred December 13, 1914, when Mrs. Driggs departed this life.