FAITH, Richard T.
Deer Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 852
Richard T. Faith, a well known farmer of Deer Creek township, owns the farm which his father purchased nearly sixty years ago. Richard Faith was born in Tebo township, Henry County, January 21, 1854, the son of Ransom and Nancy (Wilson) Faith, who were the parents of eight children, as follow: Elizabeth, widow of M. W. Thompson of Johnson County, Missouri; Mary, of Calhoun; James T., Griding, Idaho; John W., deceased; Alvin of Clinton, Missouri; Richard T., of this sketch; Willis P. of Springfield township, and Mrs. Alice Garrison of Calhoun, Missouri. Ransom Faith was born in Montgomery County, Indiana, June 22, 1816. He was a cabinet maker and came to Calhoun expecting to follow his trade, but did not follow it very long, as he soon was on a homestead in Tebo township, where his time was profitably employed in the clearing of the land and raising of corn and wheat. He sold his homestead in 1850 and purchased the one hundred twenty acres in Deer Creek township where he made his home the remaining years of his life. He was a very good man and capable of holding the esteem of his friends and neighbors. He was a member of the Methodist Church, South, and was Sunday school superintendent several years. Ransom Faith married Nancy Wilson, who was born in 1816 in Green County, Tennessee. Her parents settled in Fayette County, Missouri, in 1830, remaining there two years, when they came, in 1832, to Tebo township, Henry County, and remained here the rest of their lives, their sons and daughters receiving the opportunities of education which their district afforded and are now valued citizens of the county. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are both deceased. Mrs. Nancy (Wilson) Faith died May 27, 1903. Her husband died June 21, 1884. After the death of his parents Richard Faith purchased the interest of the other heirs. He was married November 4, 1897, to Elizabeth Sellars, who was born February 5, 1866, in Benton County, Missouri. Her parents, Calvin and Malissa (Parker) Sellars, were born in Tennessee and came to Henry County in 1858, remaining only a short time, when they went to Benton County. After the Civil War they returned to Henry County, locating in Deer Creek township and passing their remaining days there. Four children: Willie R., a daughter living at home, Clyde of Colorado, Edith and Marjory at home, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Faith. Mr. Faith and family are members of the Methodist Church and he is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. He is a Democrat and he has served his township as the township treasurer.
FARIS, Herman Preston
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 516
Herman P. Faris, the subject of this sketch, first saw the light of day December 25, 1858, on a farm just out of Belfontaine, Ohio, being the seventh child of Samuel Davies and Sarah (Plumer) Faris. In the fail of 1859 the family removed to a farm near Lawrence, Kansas, where through an unfortunate investment the small patrimony was lost and from that time until Herman reached his maturity, it was a struggle with the family to keep the wolf from the door. Also as a further handicap, the entire second year of the young life was spent in serious illness, more than once the doctor thinking life was extinct. Also the country being new, the main product seemed to be that of malaria, or as it was commonly called "chills and fever," from which ailment Herman suffered regularly each spring and fall until past nineteen years of age. He first entered school at seven years in Lecompton, the former capitol of the State. One of his very early vivid recollections was seeing the smoke from the fire created by Quantrell and his band when they sacked the "Yankee" town of Lawrence. In 1867 the family removed to Clinton, Missouri, "trekking" the entire distance in the old fashioned prairie schooners from Lecompton, Kansas. In the new home. Herman attended school spasmodically as his health would permit, until January, 1872, when he entered a printing office as "devil" In January, 1873, the paper for which he was working ran against financial shoals and was closed out under mortgage. This left him free to again enter school for the remaining three months of that winter's term. In July 1873, he entered the real estate, loan and abstract office of Brinkerhoff & Smith, being in the same office until April, 1878, when he was offered a better position, so resigned. The latter end of the year he went to Colorado, where in a few months' time he obtained a degree of health to which he had all his life been a stranger, and from that day to the present time, has had a remarkably healthy career, doing work that few physical natures could have stood up under. After a year's absence from the office, Mr. Brinkerhoff, the then proprietor, induced the young man to return, which he did in April, 1879, and accepted the position of chief clerk. In 1882, Mr. Brinkerhoff removed to Carthage and Herman purchased an interest in the business and became a partner in the firm of Brinkerhoff and Faris. In 1887 the business was incorporated under the name of the Brinkerhoff-Faris Trust & Savings Company, and Mr. Faris was elected to the position of Secretary-Treasurer, and became practically the manager of the business. In 1889 Mr. Brinkerhoff desiring to retire, Mr. John H. Lucas, the renowned lawyer of Osceola and Kansas City, Missouri, in connection with Mr. Faris, purchased the Brinkerhoff stock and Mr. Lucas was elected president. Mr. Faris therefore has continued in the active management of the business of that institution ever since, it being now over forty-five years since he first entered the office. Mr. Faris has not permitted the business to absorb all of his time and energies, but he has devoted much of both, to the advancement of the Prohibition cause, of which he is justly regarded as the "nestor" in the State of Missouri. He had also a national reputation, and has for many years been treasurer of the Prohibition National Committee. Has twice been the nominee of the Prohibition party as Governor of his State and is very happy at this time over the result of his labors and those of his comrades. In April, 1889, he was married at Trinidad, Colorado, to Miss Adda Winters, the only daughter of Rev. Jacob R. Winters and wife. To this union were born five children, three girls who grew to maturity, and are still living. Two sons having died in infancy. After nearly thirty years of happy married life, such as few people are blessed with, Mrs. Faris went home in June, 1909. In February, 1911, Mr. Faris was again married to Mrs. Sallie A. Lewis, of Dallas, Texas. Mr. Faris has been identified with all the business, religious and philanthropic movements of his home town and State, since early manhood and no event of moment looking toward the betterment of the town has been put over without his active support. He has been actively connected with all the recent war drives, as one of the "four minute men," "campaign manager," etc., etc. Although now past sixty years of age, he is an active and full of "pep" as the average forty-year old.
FARRIS, Herman Preston
Clinton, Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 513
Herman P. Farris of the firm of Brinkerhoff & Farris, real estate dealers, abstract of title and loan agents, owes his nativity to Logan County, Ohio, where he was born December 25th, 1858. When nine months old he was taken by the family to Douglass County, Kansas, where they resided till 1867, then coming to Henry County, Missouri. Herman was here reared and educated. In 1872 he began learning the printing trade in the office of the Northwestern Enterprise, and after working one year there at the case he entered the land office of Brinkerhoff & Smith. He was employed as clerk in that office till April, 1878, and then for about one year he was occupied in various branches of business in Colorado and southwest Kansas. Returning here in 1879 he resumed his old position and continued there till May, 1882, when he became associated with Mr. Brinkerhoff, and now has the entire management of their office at Clinton. Mr. Farris was married April 26th, 1880, to Miss Adda Winters, a daughter of Hon. J. R. Winters, formerly of Hannibal, Missouri. They have one child, Sarah O. Mr. and Mrs. F. are members of the Presbyterian Church.
FEASTER, Ross E.
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 517
Hon. Ross E. Feaster, Representative in the Missouri State Legislature from Henry County, and successful attorney of Windsor, was born at Fort Lyon, Benton County, Missouri, October 1, 1880. He is the son of Dr. J. F. and Mary E. (Hopkirk) Feaster, now residents of Columbia, Missouri. Dr. J. F. Feaster is a native of Maries County, Missouri. The grandparents of Ross E. Feaster on the paternal side were natives of Pennsylvania; on the maternal side they were natives of Scotland. Dr. J F. Feaster began the practice of medicine in Benton County, in 1876, and practiced in that county until 1885 when he located at Windsor, where he practiced his profession successfully for twenty-five years. In 1910, he retired from the active practice of his profession and removed to Columbia, Missouri, primarily for the purpose of affording his children the advantages of an university education. To Dr. J. F. and Mary E. Feaster were born ten children of whom Ross E. Feaster is the second in order of birth. Ross E. Feaster was educated in the Windsor public schools and after receiving such education as was afforded by the Windsor schools, he entered Missouri University at Columbia, graduating therefrom with the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1902. During that same year, he located in Windsor and began the practice of his profession. He is one of the leaders of the bar in Henry County and has taken a prominent place in the business activities of the county. Mr. Feaster was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Windsor and is vice-president of this prosperous financial institution. On August 22, 1904, Ross E. Feaster and Miss Grace A. Denton were united in marriage. To this union have been born two children: Ruth, born September 5, 1905; Lucille, born June 26, 1911. Mrs. Grace A. Feaster was born in Johnson County, Missouri, the daughter of Rev. John S. and Mary (Medley) Denton, who now resides at Columbia, Missouri. For years, Ross E. Feaster has been one of the real leaders of the Democratic party in Henry County and has held several positions of political preferment. He served as a member of and president of the Windsor city council and also filled the post of city attorney. In 1914, he was elected a member of the State Legislature from Henry County and was re-elected in 1916. While a member of the State Assembly he served on the committees of criminal jurisprudence, appropriations, university and school of mines. On August 6, 1918, Mr. Feaster was nominated for State Senator of this district by the Democratic party. Mr. and Mrs. Feaster are active members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Feaster is the teacher of the Men's Bible Class of the Baptist Sunday school. He is president of the local Red Cross chapter and has been very active in the work of this organization, and in pushing the various war activities in which the people of Windsor and vicinity have been patriotically engaged. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and the Eastern Star lodges.
FELLHAUER, Frank Leo
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 757
F. L. Fellhauer, the well-known assistant postmaster of Clinton, is one of Uncle Sam's capable and obliging officials. Mr. Fellhauer was born in Henry County March 30, 1881. He is a son of D. V. and Leotie (Elledge) Fellhauer. The father was born in Illinois, February 14, 1854, and is now living retired in Clinton, Missouri. Leoti (Elledge) Fellhauer was born in Henry County, August 20, 1859, and was a daughter of Isaac Elledge, a very early settler of Davis township where he entered lands from the Government. He improved a farm there which he lived upon for several years and in later life retired and removed to La Due, where he died in 1903, and his remains were interred in Bear Creek Cemetery. His wife departed this life in 1916 and her remains are also buried in Bear Creek Cemetery. D. V. and Leoti (Elledge) Fellhauer were the parents of the following children, Bertha Susan, married E. E. Graham and resides in Kansas City, Kansas; F. L., the subject of this sketch; Max E., a mail carrier in Clinton, Missouri; Roy V., resides in Kansas City, Missouri; Jay D., a soldier in the United States Army; Ira J., deceased; Elmer B., Clinton, Missouri; Erna, married Roy Todd, Kansas City, Missouri. F. L. Fellhauer received his education in the public schools and the Montrose High School. He taught school for two years and later attended Colt's Business College at Clinton, Missouri, where he completed the course in shorthand and bookkeeping. He was then employed in Kansas City, Missouri, as a stenographer for two years, when he returned to Clinton. In 1905 he was appointed to a clerkship in the Clinton post office and in 1912 became assistant postmaster, and has served in that capacity to the present time. Mr. Fellhauer was united in marriage in 1911 with Miss Lee Brandenberg, a daughter of A. Y. and Elizabeth (Layton) Brandenberg. The father was a Union veteran of the Civil War and died in California, and the mother now resides in Clinton, Missouri. To A. Y. and Elizabeth (Layton) Brandenberg were born the following children: Gertrude, married W. Shipley, and lives in Nebraska; E. N., employed in the post office at Clinton, Missouri; Jesse married J. H. Hamilton, Springfield, Missouri; Fred lives at Hamlet, Nebraska; Loretta married C. C. Canan, Clinton, Missouri; John, Clinton, Missouri; Mollie married Charles A. Morton, Kansas City, Missouri; A. Y., deceased; and Lee, the wife of F. L. Fellhauer, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Fellhauer is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and is one of Henry County's most valued citizens.
FERGUSON, Alexander P.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 514
Alexander P. Ferguson, boot and shoe maker. The subject of this sketch is a native of Erie County, New York, and was. born August 6, 1828. He there grew up to learn the occupation of farming, and at fifteen years of age engaged at the trade of shoe making which he has made his lifelong business. In September, 1849, he went to Cincinnati, and from that time until 1868 he worked at his chosen calling in various places, among which are Louisville and Lexington, Kentucky, Indianapolis, Indiana, Georgetown, Blue Lick Springs and Frankfort, Kentucky, and LaFayette, Indiana; then he returned to Frankfort and subsequently located again in LaFayette, where he resided until 1858, with the exception of short intervals spent in Holly Springs and Oxford, Mississippi. Removing to Middlesport, Illinois, he remained until October, 1866, thence to Jerseyville and later to Whitehall, Illinois, and in May, 1868, he came to Clinton, Missouri, and has since been a resident of the city. Mr. Ferguson was married August 10, 1851, to Miss Martha Warts, whose death occurred April 24, 1852. He was again married August 26, 1858, to Miss Adaline Buchannon. By this union there are two children living: Ida E. and Alexander G. This wife died October 9, 1880. Mr. F. is a member of the Masonic order and also of the I. O. O. F.
FERRY, James L.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 380
J. L. Ferry, a prosperous farmer and stockman of Davis township and owner of 200 acres of splendid farm land near the town of La Due, was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, July 14, 1861. He is the son of Chester and Elizabeth (Stokesberry) Ferry, who were natives of Ohio and Indiana, respectively. Chester Ferry was born in Ohio in 1832 and died in 1914. He was a son of Harvey Ferry, who was an early pioneer settler in Keokuk County, Iowa. Elizabeth (Stokesberry) Ferry was born in Indiana in 1839 and is the daughter of John Stokesberry, who entered Government land in Keokuk County as early as 1843, at a period when the northeastern part of Iowa was largely in a wild unsettled state. She is now residing in Sigourney, Iowa. There were five daughters and two sons born to Chester and Elizabeth Ferry, as follow: Mrs. Martha Lockridge, Corvallis, Oregon; J. L. Ferry, subject of this review; Mrs. Mary Bowker, Rock Island, Illinois; Mrs. Lillie Wood, Atlanta, Macon County, Missouri; John, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa; Mrs. Lizette Price, Walla Walla, Washington; Mrs. Leona Slacks, wife of Prof. John Slacks, Sac City, Iowa, county superintendent of schools in Sac County, Iowa. J. L. Ferry had little opportunity to secure an education in his youthful days and at an early age began working on his father's farm. He resided at home until his marriage with Miss Lucy Lockridge on October 16, 1883. Mrs. Lucy (Lockridge) Ferry was born near Sigourney, Iowa, a daughter of William and Hannah (Gray) Lockridge, the former of whom was born near Wheeling, West Virginia, and the latter was a native of Pennsylvania. William Lockridge located in Iowa as early as 1844, settling in Keokuk County. Prior to this he had farmed for a time in Washington County, Pennsylvania. He was born in 1820 and died in 1903. Mrs. Hannah Lockridge was born in 1822 and departed this life in 1883. They were parents of eight children: Mrs. Mary Demarce, Delta, Iowa; Mrs. Sarah Chesney, died at Keota, Iowa; Mrs. Margaretta Overturf, died at Sigourney, Iowa; Jesse, Corvallis, Oregon; Mrs. Jane Hahn, Sigourney, Iowa; Mrs. J. L. Ferry; James, Delta, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Ferry began their married life on the Ferry farm in Iowa and resided there for one year. They then purchased forty acres of land and resided upon it for three years. This farm they sold and then moved to a farm near Fairfield, which they rented for two years. For the following ten years they lived upon a farm situated between Fairfield and Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, which they eventually sold. They came to Missouri after selling this farm and bought a place located six miles east of Memphis in Scotland County, Missouri, upon which they lived for one year, selling out the place at an advance over the purchase price. Mr. Ferry's next investment was in a farm located between Gorin and Wyaconda, Missouri, where they resided for two years, disposing of this farm at a profit of $10 an acre above the purchase price. For the following three years they resided upon a farm of 160 acres located in Shelby County, Missouri, near the town of Letner. This farm was sold at an advance of $25 an acre after Mr. Ferry had improved it and made the tract more valuable. In 1907 the Ferrys came to Henry County, where Mr. Ferry owns 200 acres of excellent land just north of La Due, in Davis township. Eighty acres of this land lies in section 14, and 120 acres is located in section 23. The farm is well improved and during the past ten years Mr. Ferry has encircled the land with a hog tight wire fence and has been engaged in raising pure bred Duroc Jersey hogs for the market as well as producing cattle. Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Ferry are parents of the following children: Estella, wife of Garry Hull, La Due, Missouri; Mary, deceased; Cressie, wife of Julius Kiefer, Wyconda, Missouri; Elsie, wife of Clyde Louderman, a soldier in the National Army; Ralph, deceased; Raymond, born May 5, 1896, a private in the National Army, trained at Camp Travis, San Antonio, Texas, and saw service on the firing line in France; Ruth, deceased; Wilson and Paul, at home. Mr. Ferry is a Republican in politics and is looked upon as one of the best and progressive citizens of his township and county. The Ferry family have taken their places among the citizens of Henry County and have made many warm friends during the eleven years of their residence in this county.
FEWEL, Richard B. Dr.
Township 1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 434
Dr. Richard B. Fewel, actively engaged in the practice of medicine at Montrose, Missouri, was born in Johnson County, Missouri, May 9, 1857, a son of Richard Benjamin and Nancy Ann (Avery) Fewel. The father was born in Rockingham County, North Carolina, and the mother in Tennessee. Her father built the first house in Henry County that had glass windows, bringing the glass with him from Tennessee. The first County Court of Henry County was held at his home, and he was otherwise prominently connected with many pioneer incidents. Richard Benjamin Fewel was a stockman, dealing in fine horses, mules and cattle. He came to Missouri in the fall of 1839, settling in what is now Henry County, in company with his parents. Here he was reared and eventually became a land owner, engaging in business as a dealer in fine stock. He met with success in his undertaking and remained upon the home farm until his death, February 11, 1880. His wife passed away some years later in Johnson County. Doctor Fewel was the fourth in a family of nine children. He began his education in the public school near his old home and in 1870 was a student at Sylvan and through the succeeding two years attended school at Center Point Academy. He next entered Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois, from which he was graduated June 27, 1877. He determined to make the practice of medicine his life work and with that end in view began reading medicine in 1878 at Shawnee Mound, Missouri. He was in business at that time as a member of the firm of C. O. Fewel and Brother. He afterward attended the St. Louis College of Medicine and was graduated March 3, 1881. He later attended the Chicago School of Higher Arts and Sciences, completing his course in 1893, and he took post-graduate work in the Chicago Polyclinic in 1901, completing his course on June 21. Throughout his professional career he has continued a student in the science of medicine and has thus constantly benefited his knowledge and promoted his efficiency. In early life, however, before he was able to take up the study of medicine, Doctor Fewel taught school. He was then about nineteen or twenty years of age. He afterwards engaged in merchandising at Shawnee Mound for about three years, but sold out in 1880 in order that he might continue his studies. He began practicing at La Due, where he continued for a year, and in 1882 came to Montrose, where he has since followed his profession. He now devotes practically his entire time to his practice, which is large and growing. Besides, he is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres in Henry County, to which he gives general supervision. In his practice he specializes to some extent in the diseases of women and children. September 22, 1881, Doctor Fewel was married to Miss Rosa Frances Vickars, who was born on the old home now owned by her. She is a daughter of Henry Clay and Elizabeth (Roberts) Vickars. Her father, a native of Kentucky, went to Virginia in early life and was there reared. The mother was born near Charleston, West Virginia, where she was married and removed from Virginia to St. Louis. Mr. Vickars engaged in farming near St. Louis for a number of years, but afterwards came to Henry County, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits until his death. In early life he was a merchant in Virginia. Both he and his wife are deceased. Doctor Fewel votes with the Democratic party and keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and belongs also to the Modern Woodmen Camp and he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star. Professionally he has membership in the County Medical Society, the Medical Society of Southwest Missouri, the State Medical Association and the American Medical Association. Doctor Fewel had the first telephone line in Montrose running from his drug store to his residence, over a quarter of a mile, put up by George Paxton in 1884. He was appointed a member of the Henry County Council of National Defense and received his commission from Governor Gardner in June, 1917. He was elected vice-chairman of County Council at its second meeting. Also was appointed and served as deputy county food administrator for Henry County. Doctor Fewel has ever been an earnest and discriminating student of the science of medicine and is very conscientious and capable in the discharge of his duties. His ability has increased with the passing years and both his colleagues and the public pay high tribute to his professional service and to his fidelity to the highest standards of his profession.
FEWELL, Hamilton Perry
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 810
Hamilton Perry Fewell was born July 17, 1843, in Henry County, Missouri, and was the son of John H. Fewell, originally of Christian County, Kentucky, born January 6, 1816, and who was a farmer by occupation. His mother, formerly Sarah Cannon, was born in 1809, in Alabama. They were married in Kentucky, in November, 1835, and emigrated to Henry County, Missouri, in 1838. By this union there were eight children, five of whom are living, Hamilton P. being the fourth child. he has always resided in Henry County with the exception of an absence of four years in Texas. He commenced life for himself at the age of sixteen, and has since that time relied upon his own exertions. At the opening of the war he enlisted in the state service under Captain Bird D. Parks, and served for six months, and then in the regular army, Company G Fifth Missouri Infantry Regiment, Captain McCowen commanding. He served in that company until the surrender of Vicksburg, July 3, 1863. He was among the prisoners taken at that battle, but on the way to parole camp made his escape, and crossing the river to McKinney, Texas, there joined General Genno's escort and went in pursuit of deserters, to Lockhart, in Southern Texas, where he was taken sick. Subsequently recovering, he rejoined his company, but was with it only two days, as his commander, General Genno, was wounded at the battle of Poison Springs, and he, together with others, received permission to join General Shelby. Failing to reach the brigade, they joined Colonel Lawler, on the Arkansas River, with whom he remained two weeks. He joined Shelby's raid in Missouri, and accompanied it to Boonville, in its attempt to join Price, but falling behind that company, he, together with five of his comrades, were separated from the army, and for twenty-nine days subsisted upon what they could obtain with their guns, while passing through the Indian Territory. They finally reached Texas and remained until the spring of 1865, when they joined Tuck Hill's independent company, and coming through to Missouri, surrendered at Lexington to the Federal troops. He was paroled the same day, and went to Illinois, where he stopped for two months, thence to Red River Station, Mississippi, but after a short time went into Texas. A few months later he returned to Missouri and commenced trading in cattle, in which business he continued for three years. He subsequently settled in Henry County, and leasing a farm, has remained upon it for eleven years.
FEWELL, James Henry
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 811
James Henry Fewell, was born April 20, 1837, near Dukedom, Graves County, Kentucky, and when two years old came with his parents to Henry County, with whom he remained until the age of eighteen. He attended the school known as the Longdon and Shanklin academy for a term of six months, at the age of seventeen and when eighteen years old he commenced the study of medicine at Calhoun, Henry County, his preceptor being Dr. Robert Hogan, of that place. In the same year he attended Pope's Medical College, of St. Louis, where he took a course of medical lectures for six months. He opened his first office for the practice of medicine at Windsor, Henry County, Missouri, then removed to Little Osage, Vernon County, and made it his home for one year. Changing his locality to Taborville, St. Clair County, he settled permanently and continued his practice for several years, or up to the opening of the late war, when he engaged as surgeon in General Price's division at Little Rock, Arkansas. He served during the war in that capacity, and at its close went to San Antonio, Texas, where he engaged in the cotton trade, but after a short time, he returned to his father's home in Henry County. He was later interested in general stock raising and shipping, and followed this business four year, when he abandoned it and resumed farming, as his primary business, though raising and dealing in stock to some extent, while quietly pursuing his chosen calling. His death was a sudden and tragic one. On his return home from a neighbor's house, he fell from his saddle dead, from the effects, as was supposed, of poison, secretly administered by another. Mr. Fewell and family, together with some of their neighbors, soon after the burial, suspecting that foul play had been connected with the death of the deceased, began to investigate the circumstances connected with it, and found that a note of $200 had been given in the past, and there was evidence that said note had been changed unlawfully to read $1,200. Subsequent developments strengthened the suspicions against the suspected one, John Wickham, but the matter not being duly investigated from want of evidence, the suspected criminal was never arraigned in time to fasten suspicion upon him. However, in a few months, he suddenly and very suspiciously disappeared, and has never been heard of in the locality of Henry County. The lawful note of $200 has never been presented.
FEWELL, Newton N.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 639
Newton N. Fewell, farmer and stock raiser, was born September 26, 1844, in Missouri. His father, Benjamin C. Fewell, who was born in Tennessee, July 18, 1817, was married July 13, 1841, to Miss Thursa Merritt, born May 1, 1821. Newton was one of a family of nine children, of whom three besides himself survive: Milton C., Benjamin J. and Sylvester A., all being married. In October, 1841, the family emigrated from Tennessee to Henry County, Missouri, and have since been among its prominent citizens. Mr. F. purchased the farm which he now occupies, in 1852. He has divided the greater part of his property among his sons but now retains 120 acres on section 9, of this township. He and his wife have for many years been identified with the Sardis-Bethlehem Baptist Church. In his political preferences he is democratic. Mr. N. C. Fewell is one of the most progressive agriculturists of this county and also deals quite extensively in cattle and other stock. Upon his farm is quite a fine coal bed. Like his father, he is a Democrat.
FEWELL, Richard Zachariah
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 638
R. Z. Fewell, the owner of a farm of 500 acres and an extensive stock breeder and feeder, was born March 9, 1827, in Rockingham County, North Carolina. His father, Wm. Fewell, was born in 1792, in Culpeper County, Virginia, and at the age of 21 years left his native state and located in Chillicothe, where for a year he was engaged in teaching. Returning to Rockingham County, he was elected clerk of the County Court for a term of four years. The mother of R. Z., formerly Elizabeth D. Wall, daughter of Richard and Susan Wall, of Rockingham County, North Carolina, was born about the year 1796. They were married near 1814, and had seven daughters and two sons, of whom three daughters and one son survive: Richard Z., Elvira A., the wife of William T. Wilson, of Henry County; Elizabeth D., now residing with William P. Millner, of this county, and M. Rebecca, wife of William P. Millner. Richard Z. Fewell married Miss Elizabeth H., daughter of Johnson and Amy R. Crawford, of Rockingham County, North Carolina. There have been born to them eleven children, of whom there are ten living: Robert H., born May 8, 1849; was assassinated at the age of 33 years in Sedalia, leaving a wife and two sons; Varona M., born December 11, 1854, and married Augustus E. Stone, of Henry County, September 14, 1871; Elizabeth A., born March 8, 1854; William C., born January 22, 1856, and married Miss Mahala Green, of Henry County; Eugene E., born April 16, 1858; Louisa B., born July 7, 1861; Richard P., born August 12, 1866; Luther J., born December 15, 1868; Annie C., born May 25, 1870; Lee H., born March 2, 1872, and Emma F., born January 22, 1874. Mrs. Wm. Fewell died September 28, 1844. In 1845 Mr. Fewell married Mrs. Sarah T. Lindsay, the widow of Reuben Lindsay, of North Carolina. In 1849 the family emigrated to Henry County, Missouri. Mr. F. had long owned a tract of land here, and upon coming to the site, he bought the Major J. W. Williams farm. To his son Richard Z. he gave the former, and with his family settled upon the latter. He was for 18 years a resident of this county, an extensive farmer and highly respected. He was for many years a member of the Sardis-Bethlehem Church. He died in 1868. R. Z. Fewell, since 1849, has been engaged in farming upon the farm he first settled. He has a large, commodious residence, erected 1859-60-61. In 1851 he was elected a major in the army, serving in that capacity until the opening of the war. He has made many distributions of land among his children, but has reserved a farm of 500 acres for himself. He is connected with the A. F. and A. M. order. Politically he is a Democrat.
FIELDS, Nathan A.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 679
N. A. Fields, farmer, section 31, is a pioneer of this county, having came here May 10, 1834, and he is now the oldest settler in Fields' Creek Township. He was born in Grayson County, Virginia, February 24, 1812, and was a son of Joseph and Margaret (Hash) Fields. The former, a native of Guilford County, North Carolina, was born in 1761 and died in 1844. He went to Grayson County, Virginia, when a young man, and was there married in 1780. His wife was born in that county in 1764, and was there reared. They had a family of twelve children. In 1834 N. A. Fields accompanied his parents to Henry County, Missouri, settling where he now resides. He was the first deputy sheriff of Henry County, Missouri, appointed by the governor of the state. He early entered about 1,600 acres of land, and now owns some 700 acres. Mr. F. was married April 27, 1837, to Miss Mary E. Graham, a native of Smythe County, Virginia, born December 9, 1816, and her parents were Robert and Catherine (Crockett) Graham, both originally from Virginia, who settled in Johnson County, Missouri, in 1833, where they died. Mr. and Mrs. F. have a family of eight children, Margaret C., Mary M., Amanda, Selest, Helen G., Telitha G., James E. and Sarah E. They have lost three, Robert G., Joseph and an infant.
FINKS, Mark Fisher
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 784
Photos: Mark Fisher Finks Nancy Avery Finks
Judge Mark Fisher Finks - For the past eighty years Judge Mark F. Finks has lived in Henry County and has contributed his share to the advancement of the county. He is now retired, after many years of active farming in Tebo township. Mr. Finks was born September. 10, 1834, in Madison County, Virginia, the son of Mark and Eliza (Eddings) Finks. Mr. Mark Finks, Sr. was born in 1803, in Virginia and with his family came to Henry County in 1838, locating in Tebo township. He died in Henry County. His wife also died here. Mark F. Finks was four years of age when his parents located in Henry County, and he has spent all of his life in the environs of the county, taking an active interest in her affairs. October 20, 1864, Mr. Mark Finks and Nancy Elizabeth Avery were united in marriage. Mrs. Nancy (Avery) Finks was born May 10, 1845, in Henry County, the daughter of Judge William L. and Sophronia C. (Williams) Avery. William Avery was born November 14, 1822 in White County, Tennessee and came to Henry County in 1830 with his parents, Henry and Elizabeth (Greene) Avery, who were amongst the earliest settlers of the county. William L. Avery was elected county judge of the court in 1852 and held this position until 1867. In 1870, he was elected judge of common pleas court and in 1874 judge of probate court. He died March 2, 1875. His wife Sophronia Williams Avery was born December 8, 1826, in Simpson County, Kentucky and came to Henry County with her parents in 1835 or 1836. She was one of the daughters of the Revolution, inasmuch as her grandfather, John Williams, had participated in the Revolutionary War. Mr. and Mrs. Finks are the parents of the following children: Arthur W., born August 14, 1865, and died February 17, 1890. He was a Baptist minister educated in the William Jewell College, Liberty, Missouri. Walter Lee was born January 2, 1868, married Zella L. Taylor, and is a banker at Calhoun. William Avery was born September 28, 1870, is a banker at Mena, Arkansas. Howard Preston was born June 4, 1873, died July 5, 1911. He was a teacher at Fort Smith, Arkansas, also a chemist and metallurgist of ability. Edna Emma was born October 4, 1875, and is the wife of James E. Slack, living in Springfield township. Norman Mark was born December 3, 1877, and died August 14, 1909. Harry Freeling was born November 3, 1882, and is cashier of Faris-Brinkerhoff Trust and Savings Bank, Clinton, Missouri. Judge Fink owns 280 acres of land in Tebo and Deer Creek townships and in the days when he was farming he exhibited many of his products at the county fairs. At one time he exhibited a pumpkin as large as a wash tub. His stock exhibits have taken many prizes. Judge Finks retired from active farming six years ago and he, with his good wife, are now enjoying the fruits of their many years of labor. They are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Finks is a Democrat and he has served as county judge two terms. He is a stockholder of the Farmers Elevator at Calhoun and the two banks of Calhoun. Judge and Mrs. Finks have fourteen grandchildren. They have one grandson in the National Army, Raymond Taylor Fink.
FISHER, Thomas Lowrey
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 723
Thomas L. Fisher, one of the substantial and well known farmers and stockmen of Big Creek township, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Pettis County January 11, 1865, and is a son of Hampton G. and Nannie (Newbill) Fisher. Hampton G. Fisher was also a native of Pettis County, Missouri, born in 1842. He was a son of Thomas L. Fisher, one of the very early pioneers of Pettis County. Samuel L. Fisher was a Pennsylvanian, born in 1800, and came to Missouri, settling in Pettis County in 1821, and is said to have been the first man to plant corn on what is known as South Fork in Pettis County. Upon coming to Pettis County he entered a large tract of land from the Government and was an extensive farmer and stockman during his life time. He lived to the advanced age of ninety-one years. He died in 1891. His remains are interred in the County Line Baptist Cemetery, he having donated the land for this cemetery many years prior to his death. Thomas L. Fisher is one of seven children born to his parents, the others being as follow: Charles A., who lives in Idaho; Mrs. Carrie Hainline, Pettis County, Missouri; Cassie, who died at the age of sixteen; Mrs. Cora Hainline, deceased; Clark, who lives in Pettis County; Mrs. Mollie Sterling, Pettis County, Missouri. Thomas L. Fisher was reared on his father's farm in Pettis County and received a good common school education and when he was about twenty years of age began life for himself. He followed farming in Pettis and Johnson Counties and in 1895 came to Henry County and purchased a small farm. Later he sold this farm and bought other land. He now owns a valuable farm of two hundred eighty acres, one hundred sixty of which is located in Big Creek township, and eighty acres in Chilhowee township, Johnson County. Mr. Fisher's farm is well improved and in a high state of cultivation and indicates the industry and progressiveness of its owner. Mr. Fisher was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Miller, a native of Allen County, Ohio, and a daughter of Marcus and Melissa Miller. The father died when Mrs. Fisher was a child and the mother later married John Blume, and they came to Johnson County, Missouri, in 1888. She died in 1913 and her remains are buried in Mineral Creek Cemetery, Johnson County. Mrs. Fisher is one of the following children born to her parents: Daniel, lives in Allen County, Ohio; Jesse, Allen County, Ohio, and Mrs. Dora Bear, lives in Washington. To Thomas Fisher and wife have been born the following children: Ruby L., married Elmer Orr, St. Louis, Missouri; Lloyd; Paul M., a graduate of the Blairstown High School; Forest C., Florence B., Media L., Francis M., Walter L., all residing at home with their parents. Mr. Fisher is a public spirited and enterprising citizen and takes a keen interest in public affairs, and is especially interested in the progress of the public school system. He is now serving his second term on the school board of Blairstown.
FLEMING, Frank M.
Bear Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 765
Frank M. Fleming, farmer, sections 28 and 29, is a prominent citizen of Henry County, and was born in Indiana County, Pennsylvania, May 15, 1845. his parents being John and Mary E. Fleming, natives of the same county. The former was born in October, 1824, and died in 1857, aged thirty-three years. F. M. Fleming was reared in his native county on the farm. He enlisted in 1861, in Company C, 123d Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and after serving three years re-enlisted in the same regiment. with which he remained till discharged in July, 1865. His regiment went out with 1010 men, and at the close of the service only seventy-two of the original members were alive. He participated in the battles of Williamsburg, Bottoms' Bridge, White Oak, Gaines' Mill, Malvern Hill, Harrison's Landing, Newbern, and others. After his discharge, Mr. Fleming came west to Illinois and was engaged in farming in Henry County for four years. In 1869, returning to Pennsylvania, he was married in Westmoreland County on December 2, of that year, to Miss Susan E. Yokey, of that county, born February 20, 1847. and a daughter of S. P. Yokey. In May of the preceding year, Mr. F. came to Missouri and located in the northern part of Henry County, where he purchased land and improved a farm of 240 acres. He farmed there for ten years, and in January, 1880, he moved to Bear Creek Township and improved his present farm. He owns 1341 acres. Underlying this place is a vein of coal of a superior quality, which varies in thickness from two to three feet. Two fair residences are on his place and two good orchards. Mr. Fleming has a family of five children: Lulu May, Albert P., Embree E., Ettie E. and Carrie A. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
FOCHT, John F.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 390
John F. Focht. Although John F. Focht, well-to-do farmer of Walker township, during a career as an agriculturist, has earned the right to retire from active labor, he willingly gave up his mode of living which provided for a round of travel and sight-seeing throughout the country, to return to Henry County and take active charge of his farm in order that the food supply of the nation might be enhanced. Mr. Focht is owner of 246.67 acres of farm lands in the northwest corner of Walker township, four acres of which lies in Bates County. Mr. Focht has had an interesting career and is one of the best posted and intelligent citizens of Henry County. Born on an Ohio farm, near the city of Wapokaneta, Ohio, August 15, 1863, he enjoys the distinction of being a son of the first white child born within the confines of his native county. He is the son of Daniel and Maria (Justus) Focht, the former of whom was a direct descendant of one of Baron Steuben's soldiers who came to America and assisted in the fight for the independence of the American colonies. Daniel Focht was born near Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, in May, 1813, and was a son of Adam Focht who settled in the wilderness of western Ohio as early as 1836, cleared a home from the forest and swamp land and reared a family of sons as follows: Louis, Adam, John, Samuel, William, Daniel, and Jacob. His father established a home in Pennsylvania, the western part not many years after the Revolutionary period upon a grant of land which had been given to the family by a grateful Government. Tradition says that the original Focht ancestor paid his passage across the Atlantic with Steuben's expedition by fighting with the American forces. Daniel Focht was reared to young manhood in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, and in 1836 located in western Ohio. He was there married and reared a family of twelve children, nine of whom are living: Mrs. Jane Hulbert, living in Ohio; Jacob, a citizen of Ohio; Mrs. Hannah Abbot, Bates County, Missouri; John F., subject of this review; William, living in Ohio; Mrs. Dora Cummins, Indiana; Mrs. Susan Winegardner, Ohio; and Mrs. Leora Butler, living in Southern Idaho. John F. Focht was reared in Auglaize County, Ohio, and was there married in 1890 to Miss Vona Brackney, who was also born in Auglaize County, a daughter of Riley and Matilda Brackney, well-known residents of that county. One son has been born of this marriage: Russell C., born in March, 1893, a successful farmer of Walker township, who married Mazie Hughes. Leaving his native State in November 2, 1882, John F. Focht went to Iowa and was employed at farm labor in that State for a period of ten months. He was then employed in Nebraska for seven months; Kansas, eight months; New Orleans and the Southland, three months. After this sight-seeing trip over the country, he returned to Ohio and after a short visit with the home folks of four months he made a trip through Iowa, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, stopping for a time in Kansas City and Omaha, where he was employed at gainful labor. After his marriage in 1890 he settled down on an Ohio farm for six years. In 1896 he sold out and traveled a distance of three thousand miles to Chehalis, Washington, toured Idaho, attended the Portland, Oregon Exposition and then located near Chehalis, where he was engaged in farming for eleven months. He and Mrs. Focht then toured California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado and ended their trip at Creighton, Missouri. Since that time he has owned three farms and is now located on one of the good farms in Henry County. His last trip was a tour of Idaho in 1917. Mr. Focht is a Democrat in politics and is one of those widely traveled men who are well posted upon the events of the day and knows his native land and loves it for its vastness and beauty.
Bear Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 765
Jonathan Fogelsong, farmer and stock raiser, section 17, is a native of Jackson County, Virginia, and was born September 27, 1831. His parents, John and Mary (Fox) Fogelsong, came originally from the same county. The former was a soldier of 1812. The. subject of this sketch was reared upon a farm in the county of his birth, and in 1854 he came west, and settled in Bates County, Missouri, where he lived eleven years. In 1865 he moved to Henry County. He was married in Cooper County, October 17, 1866, to Miss Martha E. Cordery, of Buchanan County, Missouri, and a daughter of G. R. Cordery. In the spring of 1871 he settled on his present place. He has 195 acres of land, well improved and adorned with a good bearing orchard of 120 apple trees of select varieties. He makes a specialty of feeding and raising stock for which his farm is well adapted. Mr. and Mrs. F. have one child, Cordelia J. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
FOOTE, William Avery
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 359
William Avery Foote, a pioneer business man of Clinton, now living retired, is a native of New York. He was born in Oneida County, December 12, 1839. His parents were John and Mary (Lull) Foote, both natives of the State of New York. The Foote family is of English lineage and the ancestors of William A. Foote were early settlers in New England. Nathaniel Foote, of England, immigrated to New England in 1636 and was one of the first settlers of Weathersfield, Connecticut. Mary Lull, the mother of William Avery Foote, is a descendant of one of the early families to settle in New York. John and Mary (Lull) Foote went to Wisconsin and spent the last years of their lives in Dane County, that State, where they both died. They were the parents of nine children and three of their sons served in the Union Army during the Civil War. William Avery Foote was ten years of age when his parents removed from Oneida to Wyoming County, New York, where the father conducted a tannery. In 1858 William went to Springfield, Illinois. Here he attended school for a time and for four years was employed in a hardware store. He then went to Indianapolis, Indiana, to work in a hardware store for the same employer, where he remained about four years. In 1869 he came to Henry County, Missouri, where he and his brother, Ebenezer Lull Foote engaged in the hardware business under the firm name of Foote Brothers. They also conducted a grain and elevator business in partnership, E. L. having charge of that department while William A. conducted the hardware business. When the Foote Brothers started in business in Clinton there was no railroad in Henry County and their goods were hauled mostly from Warrensburg. They continued business in Clinton for forty years, disposing of their mercantile business in 1909, and since that time Mr. Foote has been practically retired, with the exception of looking after his various business interests. Mr. Foote was united in marriage September 14, 1869, with Miss Emma D. Wood, a native of Springfield, Massachusetts. To Mr. and Mrs. Foote were born two children, Mary L., who married Henry W. Kerr of Denver, Colorado, who is now deceased, and she resides with her father in Clinton; and S. Elizabeth, married Robert E. Harmon of Clinton, Missouri. Mrs. Foote departed this life January 12, 1917. She was a highly educated and cultured woman who lived a consistent Christian life. She was a life long member of the Baptist Church and was active in the work of her denomination. Mr. Foote is also a member of the Baptist Church and has been a Republican. To Henry W. and Mary L. Kerr was born one son, Derry William Kerr. Robert E. and S. Elizabeth Harmon have one child, Elizabeth Agnes Harmon.
FORMAN, David Smith
Sesquicentennial Celebration 1855-2005, Windsor, Missouri, Sep 1-5, 2005
In 1886 Mr. David Smith Forman, after coming to Windsor in 1880 with his wife and family, built a large public bathhouse (one of the large houses torn down in 1952 to build the hospital) down by the 'river'. The 'river' was probably backed up water from all the many artesian wells and springs in the area that fed what we now call Farrington Park, and the same water that provides our city with drinking water. The Windsor Review reports that this wonderful bathhouse had hot and cold water showers and plunge baths. The running water was provided from springs located on the property. It was also Mr. Forman's idea to design and own the very first machine that sprinkled water lightly on dirt streets to keep dust to a minimum. In the 1950's some of the ruins of the bath enclosures and the wells could be seen. David Forman died in 1899 and is buried at Laurel Oak Cemetery. (His great-great-grandson, Jerry Forman, can be contacted by email through the Windsor Historical Society.) - Articles from The Windsor Weekly Review 1886 - Mr. D.S. Foreman is putting in a number of improvements on his property at the lower end of Main Street. He is now building a bathhouse, which will be supplied with two fine plunge baths, shower baths, etc, both hot and cold. The water will be supplied from the inexhaustible springs on his place, a large tank being put up, into which water will be pumped by an engine that he has ordered. We predict that this is the nucleus from which in a few months will be evolved a fine system of water works for Windsor. - We paid a visit last Sunday to the site of the bath house now being put up by Mr. Foreman, and found that the gentleman is making decided improvements in that part of the city. He is now the owner of all the land between the residence of Rev. J.M. Kelly and the small stream that runs from the springs near the mill. The larger one of the lots is the one that he is now improving. It was in its former condition practically worthless, but it will soon be made into a good lot. The stream that ran through it in such a manner so to cut it up into small lots is being turned by ditching straight down the line between that property and that occupied by Mr. E. Weaver. The present channel of the stream will be filled up, the lot leveled up, and work will soon be begun on a brick house thereon. The bathhouse will be a neat building with a porch right on the street. Back of this will be several rooms devoted to bathing, including one extra large plunge bath. A large tank has already been put up into which the water from the exhaustless spring on the same lot will be pumped by steam power to supply the baths. It is also Mr. Foreman’s intention to have the three houses he owns laying along in a row supplied with water by pipes fed from the tank. This will be quite a convenience and will no doubt be highly appreciated by the tenants who may occupy the two houses he will have for rent. It would be well if we had a few more citizens with as much enterprise as Mr. Foreman is showing himself possessed of.
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 703
Kapels Forsythe of Big Creek township is a descendant of one of the pioneer families of Henry County. He was born in Big Creek township March 7, 1891, a son of Edward and Jamica (George) Forsythe. George Forsythe was a native of Ohio and a son of James Forsythe, who settled in Henry County with his family in 1874. James Forsythe spent the remainder of his life in Honey Creek township, where he settled upon coming to this county. He died in 1891. Edward Forsythe died in 1916 and his wife departed this life January 20, 1897. She was a native of Henry County and a daughter of Elijah George, who was among the very early settlers in this county. To Edward and Jamica (George) Forsythe were born the following children: Anna, married Chester Malone, Blairstown, Missouri; lone, married Grover Fraser, who is now serving in the United States Army in France; Kapels, now serving in the United States Army in France; Noel, serving in the United States Army, now stationed at Camp Funston; Hazel, married Howard Harper, Blairstown. Kapels Forsythe received his education in the public schools of Big Creek township and remained on the home farm until he was twenty-three years of age. In August, 1913, he went to Montana, where he homesteaded 320 acres of land in the Yellowstone country. He has made some substantial improvements on his place and has raised fifty acres of wheat there during the present season. The Forsythe home farm in Big Creek township consists of 160 acres of well improved and valuable land. It is located two miles northwest of Garland, a part of the place being situate in Honey Creek township. The Forsythe family rank among the substantial and highly respected citizens of Henry County.
FOSTER, Gasner Quarles
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 571
Gasner Quarles Foster was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, December 22, 1810, being the son of Robert Foster, who was born near Richmond, Virginia. He learned the mason's trade while young, and in 1831 removed to Missouri, settling in Callaway County. He came to this county in 1854, and died at the house of his son February 12, 1859, aged ninety years, three months and twelve days. His wife, whose maiden name was Jane Fox Quarles, of Virginia, had died in Callaway County in 1832. The subject of this sketch was the third of a family of five children, of whom one is living in Oregon, one in Callaway County and one deceased. After locating in Callaway County, April 13, 1831, he worked with his father at the mason's trade, both laying brick and stone and plastering. They contracted for building many large buildings, and worked on the state penitentiary, etc. In April, 1848, he came to Henry County, and settled one and a half miles northeast of Calhoun, where he improved a farm which he now owns. In 1856 he moved into Windsor took up his location on a farm, a part of which has been added to the city. He gave the M. E. Church, South, and also the M. E. Church, the lots upon which their churches were erected. He has now one hundred acres, well improved. with a good residence and other buildings, after having sixty acres included in the city. He married Miss Minerva Pinkston in 1836 She was born January 10, 1819, and was the daughter of Isham Pinkston, of Warrensburg. She died October 13, 1852, and left seven children: John William, Benjamin Franklin, Elizabeth Virginia, Ann Amanda, Minerva Elmira, Gazner Pinkston and Martha Frances. January 3, 1854, he married for his second wife, Mrs. James A. Crumley, formerly Miss J. D. Baker. Mr. Crumley, her first husband, died March 1853. Mrs. Foster died September 9, 1869. His third wife was Miss Martha Wiley, whom he married March 7, 1871. She was the daughter of Abraham Wiley, one of the early pioneers of this county, he having come into the county with John Willson, and living near him all his days. Mr. Foster politically is a Democrat. He was one of the founders of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and was one of its elders. He also has for many years been a Mason. He started in life a poor boy, and the fine property which he has now obtained is the result of hard labor, much economy and excellent management. He has been a liberal giver for the building and maintenance of churches and schools, and has gained a lasting reputation among all classes of people where he has lived so long. His farm contains 400 acres of valuable land. Gasner P. Foster, the sixth child in this family, was born in Henry County in 1849, and at the age of twenty-one, he left home and completed his education at the Hannibal Commercial College in 1874. He returned and clerked for six months and then rented a farm, which he worked until the fall of 1881. Then he formed a partnership with William McIntire in the grocery business. In January Mr. McIntire sold out to W. A. Brain, who in turn sold out to Shelton & Owsley. Mr. F. soon started business again with Mr. Stewart, who sold to Mr. E. H. Wall, and the firm of Foster & Wall are now enjoying a liberal patronage. He married Miss Bettie Withers, in 1874. She is the daughter of J. C. Withers. They have one child living, Maud, who was born January 13, 1880. He belongs to A. O. U. W.
FOWLER, Charles E.
Bear Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 766
Charles E. Fowler, farmer and stock raiser, section 22, was born in Oldham County, Kentucky, February 15, 1855. Thomas C. Fowler, his father, was born in Brattleboro, Vermont. In early life he went on a vessel as a sailor and followed the seas for a number of years and then settled in Kentucky, where he was married to Miss Hattie McFadden, a native of that state. Subsequently he engaged in the mercantile business in Kentucky, where he resided until 1856, and upon moving to Missouri he located first in Carroll County, After living there nine years he went to St. Charles County, and here he was appointed railroad agent at Foristel, which position he occupied till his death, which occurred January 25, 1869. C. E. Fowler spent his youth until sixteen years old on a farm and attending the public school. In the spring of 1871 he commenced railroading, and was on the road as brakeman and fireman for about seven years. After leaving the business in 1878 he resumed farming in St. Clair County one year. He came to his present farm, which contains over 200 acres, in the spring of 1879. He is numbered among the thrifty farmers of this township. Mr. Fowler was married in this county February 10, 1880, to Miss Frances Williamson, a native of Missouri, and a daughter of John W. Williamson. They have one son, Winfield Scott; who was born March 13, 1882. Mrs. Fowler is a member of the M. E. Church, South.
FOX, Samuel Walter
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 759
Samuel Fox, a well-known and successful stockman and farmer of Bogard township, is a native Missourian. He was born in Vernon County, September 11, 1879, a son of John and Mary (Donaldson) Fox. John Fox was a native of Virginia and settled in Vernon County, Missouri, about 1866. He now resides at Eldorado Springs, Missouri. To John and Mary (Donaldson) Fox were born the following children: Lee lives in Kansas; Charles, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Harve, Corder, Missouri; Edward, a soldier in the United States Army, having enlisted in September, 1917, and after a period of training at Camp Funston, Kansas, he was sent to France in the spring of 1918; Ivan, in West Virginia, in United States service; and Dewey, who resides on the home place, and Mrs. Mary Rix, now deceased. Samuel Fox was educated in the public schools and remained at home with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age. He has been engaged in farming and stock raising all his life and has resided on his present place in Bogard township, which was the old Thomas McClung homestead. It is a valuable farm of one hundred seventy acres, one mile north of Urich. The place is well improved with a splendid two-story frame residence of eight rooms which was built in 1915. Mr. Fox is quite extensively engaged in the stock business and besides raising cattle and hogs he has a reputation of being one of the leading Shropshire sheep raisers of Henry County. He has a herd of sixty-seven of this breed of sheep and is one of the successful sheep men of this section. Mr. Fox was married in August, 1905, to Miss Bessie McClung, a daughter of Thomas and Lizzie (McCoy) McClung. The father is now deceased, and the mother resides at Urich, Missouri. They were the parents of the following children: Minnie; Wallace, a soldier in the United States Army; and Bessie, wife of Samuel Fox, the subject of this sketch. To Mr. and Mrs. Fox have been born two children, Ruth and Thomas. The Fox family are prominent in the community and numbered. among Henry County's progressive and enterprising citizens.
FREEMAN, Garrett W.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 880
Capt. Garrett W. Freeman - At this time, during the greatest conflict the world has ever known, we honor more and more the last remnant of the veterans who fought in the sixties. Capt. Garrett Freeman served through the Civil War in the Union Army, even though previous to the outbreak he and his father were slave owners. Captain Freeman was born May 27, 1839, in Shawnee township, the son of James and Elizabeth (Elkins) Freeman. James Freeman was a native of Virginia, and his wife was born in what is now West Virginia. They came to Shawnee township, Henry county, in 1839, just a short while before the birth of Captain Freeman. Very few settlers had preceded these pioneers into Shawnee township. James Freeman was a slave owner, and at the election of 1860 voted for Stephen A. Douglas, but when the war came on he took his stand for the Union. He decided he was not in favor of slavery, and that it was indeed a curse. During and after the war James Freeman was a Republican. He lived to a good ripe old age. He died in 1892. His wife, Elizabeth Elkins, was an aunt of Senator Elkins of West Virginia. She is also deceased. Of the family two sons, Garrett W., the subject of this sketch, and James M., a farmer, near Huntingdale, Missouri, survive. In 1860 Captain Garrett Freeman was married to Sallie Allen, a native of Howard County, Missouri. Her brother, Rev. Garrett Allen, is a minister at Washington, D. C. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman had two children born to them: Robert Lee, a merchant of Nevada, Missouri, married Josie Richardson, of Adrian, Missouri. Their daughter, Wilma, is a graduate of the Nevada High School. The second child born to Captain and Mrs. Freeman was Mollie, who married Floyd Crews, and is now deceased. Her three surviving children are as follow: Wright, James and Garry.
FREEMAN, James M. Jr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 667
Photos: Howard Freeman
James M. Freeman, farmer and stock raiser, section 29, is a son of Judge James Freeman, whose parents, Garratt and Nancy (Compton) Freeman, were natives of Maryland. He was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, April 18, 1806. He grew to manhood in his native county, receiving a common school education, and in 1839 he came to Henry County, Missouri, where the subject of this sketch was born March 11, 1844. He was reared as a farmer's boy, also being educated in the common schools and his occupation during life has been that of farming and stock raising. His farm is one of the best improved in the township, and contains 520 acres. His fine frame residence was built in 1881 at a cost of $2,000. Mr. Freeman is one of the leading stock feeders in the township and is now feeding 150 head of cattle. He also has some fine short horns. He was a member of the Missouri State Militia during the late war. June 25, 1867, he married Miss H. A. Drake. Her death occurred June 6, 1877, and she left four children: James W., Willie R., Anna and Hattie A. Mr. F. was again married February 9, 1882, to Miss Lucy Howard. She was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, October 28, 1854. He is connected with the I. O. O. F. fraternity.
FREEMAN, James M. Jr.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 808
James M. Freeman - The story of the Freeman family is interwoven with the history of the county and nation, as well. James M. Freeman, who is the owner of "Walnut Grove Stock Farm" of 360 acres in Shawnee township, was born upon the land which he owns, March 11, 1844, a son of Judge James and Elizabeth (Elkins) Freeman. Judge James Freeman, the son of Garrett and Nancy (Compton) Freeman, was born April 18, 1806, in Culpeper County, Virginia. His parents had settled in Virginia in the very early days, being natives of Maryland. Judge James Freeman was reared in Culpeper County, Virginia, and after his marriage he, with his young bride started on the great adventure of building for themselves a home in the Far West. At first they settled in Howard County, Missouri, remaining there until 1839, when they came to Shawnee township, Henry County, and built their log cabin. They allied themselves with all of the good things of the county, helping in all ways for the advancement of civic progress. James Freeman was county judge for two terms. His wife, Elizabeth Elkins, was the daughter of Philip B. Elkins, who was a veteran of the Mexican War, and a farmer in Virginia. Judge Freeman died in 1887. James M. Freeman, Jr., was born in the log cabin in the clearing which his father built. When the Civil War rent the nation in twain, James M. Freeman was too young to go to the front, but he joined the State Militia and the last two years of the war he was a member of the Missouri Provisional Militia. In 1867 Mr. Freeman married Harriet Drake, who died in 1877, leaving four children, as follow: James W., of Clinton; William R., deceased; Anna Bell, now Mrs. J. S. Barnett of Huntingdale, Missouri; and Hattie A., deceased. She was Mrs. William McQuitty, a sketch of whom is in this volume. February 9, 1882, James M. Freeman and Lucy Howard were united in marriage. She was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, October 28, 1854, a daughter of John G. and Amanda (Cock) Howard, natives of Kentucky and Virginia, respectively. Two children have been born to this marriage, as follow: Ethel, wife of R. B. Covington of Post Oak, Missouri; and Howard, who rents his father's farm. Howard Freeman was born January 3, 1890, and educated in the public and high school at Clinton. He also took a business course at the Clinton Business College. Since 1912 he has taken an active part in his father's farming business, relieving him of many of the duties. He is a great stockman, and is very successful in his work of feeding large numbers of cattle and hogs for the market each year. Howard Freeman is owner of eighty acres of land. He has made a specialty of the Duroc Jersey hogs which are eligible for registry, while his father has been a breeder of the Shorthorn cattle for many years and has shipped to other States. The home of Mr. and Mrs. Freeman was built in 1881 and is an eleven-room house, in which they enjoy the comforts of their old age. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman are members of the Christian Church. He has been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows for over forty years. He is a Republican, as is his son, Howard. Howard Freeman entered the National Service July 22, 1918, and is a member of the 10th Division now in training at Camp Funston, Kansas.
FROWEIN, Albert P.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 514
Albert P. Frowein, cashier of the Henry County Bank, was born in the Rhein Province, Germany, March 14, 1837. His parents, John P. and Anna M. (Winklemann) Frowein, were also natives of Germany, and were there married and are still residents of that country. Albert was reared in his native country till seventeen years of age, when he emigrated to America, landing in New York. There he remained for ten months, after which he moved westward and for three years was engaged in clerical work in the city of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1858 he went to Warrensburg, Missouri, and was a prominent merchant of that city till 1866, when he came to Clinton, and with his brother embarked in the dry goods business. To this industry he devoted his time until April, 1881, and then with others organized the Henry County Bank, he being elected their first president. He has since been prominently identified with that institution, but still retains his interest in the firm of Frowein Bros. Mr. F. was married in 1863 to Miss Augusta J. Muller, of Missouri. They have three children: Arnold P., Eugene C. and Augusta. From 1861 to 1866 Mr. F. was postmaster at Warrensburg, Missouri, and from 1874 to 1878 he was a member of the school board of this city. He belongs to the Masonic order and is also connected with the Lutheran Church.
FULKERSON, Adam M.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 515
Adam M. Fulkerson of the drug establishment of Fulkerson & Parks, came originally from Ohio County, Ohio, having been born January 17 1843. He resided there till 1855, when the family removed to Cass County, Missouri, which was their home till the spring of 1856. Going to Kansas they settled about twenty miles above Osawatomie, but five months later were obliged to leave on account of the border troubles. Returning to Cass County, Missouri, they located two and a half miles west of Dayton, and there Adam spent his time in farming, till the breaking out of the war He enlisted in June, 1861, in Company E, of Hurst's Regiment, and served with that company till January, 1862, when he joined Company E, Fourth Missouri Infantry. After the second battle of Corinth, Mississippi, he was transferred to Company E, First Missouri Regiment, and served till the surrender of Vicksburg, when he was paroled. On his way north he was captured by General Steele, and held a prisoner at Alton, Illinois, till peace was declared. As soon as released he went to Kentucky, and there remained till September, 1866, when he came to Clinton and engaged in the drug business. In April, 1869, he with Mr. Benjamin established a drug house, and the firm continued as Fulkerson & Benjamin till August, 1859, when it became Fulkerson & Allen. In January, 1873, was again changed, this time to Fulkerson & Parks. They carry a varied and complete line of goods, and are doing a remunerative business. Mr. F. was married November 24, 1868, to Miss Allie Parks, a daughter of Judge Parks, of Clinton. They have two children living: Henry and Charles. Mr. F. is a member of the Masonic order and also belong to the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
FULTS, Jacob A.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 572
Jacob A. Fults, agent and telegraph operator at Windsor Station, was born in Washington Court House, Fayette County, Ohio, March 6, 1851. His parents, Simon and Sarah Fults nee Bush, who were born in Fayette County, Ohio, came to Missouri and settled in Windsor in 1869. They had nine children, of whom Jacob is the oldest. He received an excellent education and in the fall of 1875 he learned the art of telegraphy. His first office was at Green Ridge, where, by his faithfulness and attention to business he won the confidence of the company, and now has the satisfaction of knowing that his services are appreciated. He has been stationed at Walker, Pilot Grove, Madison and other places, and lastly at Windsor, and has been in the employ of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad for seven years. His books and exhibits are systematically, neat and correct and in his intercourse with the business men he is obliging and courteous to all. He married Miss Florence Sheble, of Green Ridge, in 1876, December 24. She is the daughter of M. Sheble, originally of Noble County, Ohio. Her mother was formerly Rhoda Brown, from Ohio. By this happy union they have one child, Ethel Welton, born November 17, 1878.
FUNK, Robert Martin
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 573
Robert Martin Funk of the firm of Smith & Funk, druggists, was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, March 30, 1822. His father, Alexander Funk, who was born in Kentucky, died in August, 1856. His mother, formerly Sarah Watters, came to Missouri in 1857 with her son Robert M. She is yet living, vigorous and hearty for one of her age, now being eighty-four years old. They had nine children of whom the subject of this sketch is the oldest. He came here in 1857 and settled on a farm where he remained until 1872, then moving into Windsor and engaging in the livery business for two years. Selling out he entered into the drug trade with Dr. Smith, and has since made the business a study in all its details and has become a thoroughly competent druggist. With Dr. Smith he is having a very large and profitable patronage. He lives with a married sister, Mrs. Molly J. Shivell, wife of Dr. Shivell. Mr. F. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a man whose judgment is good on all important questions. He has accumulated a fine property and is a leading citizen of this place.
FUNK, Robert Martin
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 557
Robert M. Funk, owner of a fine farm of 160 acres located in sections 15, 16, 21 and 22 of Windsor township, is a native Missourian, having been born in Pettis County October 25, 1864, on a farm situated five miles west of Green Ridge. He is the son of John and Lucinda (Rogers) Funk, natives of Kentucky. John Funk was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, February 28, 1824, and died May 25, 1903. He was married in Kentucky to Lucinda Rogers and came to Missouri as early as 1857, residing on his farm in Pettis County until his death. He was the son of Alexander and Sarah (Walters) Funk of Kentucky, who had a family of nine children, John Funk being the ninth child born. To John and Lucinda Funk were born seven children. Mrs. Lizzie Smith; Mrs. Laura Smith; Mrs. Lula Hampton; Robert M; Mrs. Lydia Crose; Shelton and Mrs. Caroline Pickett, a widow. The mother of these children was born April 27, 1833, and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. Lula Hampton, Green Ridge, Missouri. For a period of thirty years Robert M. Funk worked on the home farm of his parents and became owner of seventy acres of land located three miles northeast of Windsor in Pettis County. In 1900 he traded this tract for another farm which he sold in 1911 and came to Henry County, buying his present farm of 160 acres. The Funk farm is an historic landmark in the county, it having been entered by a Mr. Arbuckle and later known as the Gillilan place for over twenty years. February 26, 1890, Robert M. Funk and Miss Sarah Parker were united in the bonds of matrimony. Seven children have been born of this marriage: John, Robert C. and Albert, farmers in Windsor township; Martha L., wife of P. I. Lowery, Windsor township; Laura Ellen, wife of W. Tucker, Windsor township; Oliver H. and Rex Harold, at home with their parents. Mrs. Sarah (Parker) Funk was born June 5, 1874, on a farm seven miles south of Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri. She is the daughter of Philip and Martha (Eaton) Parker, natives of Tennessee and Benton County, Missouri, respectively. Philip Parker was born on December 19, 1837, and died February 21, 1885. He was prominent in the affairs of Benton County, taught school for a number of years, beginning his teaching career when seventeen years old. He also served as assessor of Benton County. During the Civil War Mr. Parker served as a captain of a company recruited at Warsaw and was wounded at the battle of Lone Jack while fighting on the Union side. Mrs. Martha Parker was born September 19, 1843, and departed this life October 22, 1897. Mr. Funk and Mrs. Funk are members of the Christian Church and are favorably known as devout and honest people who live according to the teachings of their avowed faith. Mr. Funk is a Republican in politics and is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Anti-Horse Thief Association and is a stockholder of the Farmers Elevator Company of Windsor.
FYKE, Matthew A.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 352
Matthew A. Fyke, Esq. Prominent among the members of the bar of Henry County is Matthew A. Fyke. He was born in Union County, Illinois, May 27,1848, and is the fourth child of Josiah A. and Margaret Fyke. His parents emigrated from Tennessee to the former state in their youth, and were reared in Union County, where they were married and where they now reside. Matthew received a good, practical education, and in 1866, when eighteen years of age, commenced the study of law in the office of Thomas E. Merritt, Salem, Illinois. He continued the study of law for the period of three years. In the meantime, however, he taught school in order to raise funds for his own support, while completing his studies. In May, 1869, he was licensed to practice law by the supreme court, of Illinois. He practiced his profession for six months in his native county, but having a desire to move further west, believing that the western country offered superior advantages to the ambitious and energetic, of whatever trade or profession, he left Illinois and came to Henry County in 1871, locating at Clinton, where he still resides. Industriously applying himself to his profession his business has gradually increased until he now enjoys a lucrative practice. He is not only a good lawyer, but is a successful business man, being one of the stockholders of the Henry County Bank. Mr. Fyke is a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, and is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. He was united in marriage October 19, 1871, to Miss Jennie Bennett, who was also a native of Illinois. Mrs. Fyke died May 2, 1873. They had one child, Jennie B.