White Oak Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 715
James Godwin, farmer and stock raiser, section 29, was born February 28, 1808, in Fincastle, Botetourt County, Virginia. His early history is shrouded in mystery, he having been found, together with another child, supposed to be a brother, on or near Delaware Bay. Consequently he is unable to give nativity, date of birth or nationality of his father. These brothers were taken up and cared for, and a man named Godwin reared our subject, giving him his name. The maiden name of his foster mother was Polly Mefford, a native of Fincastle, Virginia, at which place their marriage occurred. They had fifteen children, seven sons and eight daughters, of whom two sons and one daughter survive. James was brought up in Rutledge, Granger County, Tennessee, where he received his education, which was limited to six months schooling. He left home when 19 years of age, and has since worked his own way in life. He apprenticed himself to learn the blacksmith's trade, and after becoming proficient therein, commenced work at Sparta, Middle Tennessee, where he labored for six years as journeyman. For four years thereafter, he was engaged in business for himself at that point. Leaving there in March, 1837, he came to Missouri, and in April settled in Benton County, purchasing 320 acres of land, where he remained for twenty-seven years. February 5, 1833, he married Miss Elizabeth M. Anderson. They had no children of their own, but have brought up eleven children, and are now rearing a little boy and girl, making thirteen, who have found good homes under his hospitable roof. Seven weddings have been celebrated in his house. During war times Mr. Godwin disposed of his property in Benton County and came to this county, where he has since principally resided. He owns 146 acres of land on sections 28 and 29. He and his wife have for many years been active members of the M. E. Church South.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 815
John Goff was born January 13, 1817, in Williamson County, Tennessee, being the son of William Goff who was born June 18, 1783, in Washington County, Virginia. He emigrated with his parents, when a small boy, to Williamson County, Tennessee, where the family remained until 1830. His mother, whose maiden name was Edith Walker, was born August 14, 1787, in Culpeper County, Virginia. They were married February 7, 1805, and to them were born thirteen children, of whom three are living. They moved from Williamson County, Tennessee, in 1830, to Saline County, Missouri, and bought a tract of 120 acres, residing upon it for three years and a half, when, selling the farm, they came to what is now Henry County, on April 10, 1834. They purchased 200 acres of land in Tebo (now Springfield) Township, where they lived until they departed this life. William Goff died September 26, 1842, and his wife died October 11, 1843. He was one of the first judges of the county, three having been appointed at the same time. He served for six years in that capacity, or nearly up to the time of his demise, resigning on account of ill health just prior to his death. He held one of the first post offices in the county, there being two established at the same date. The other postmaster was Thomas B. Wallace or his brother, near where Clinton now stands. The subject of this sketch received his education before emigrating with his parents to Missouri. He commenced his struggle with life at the age of seventeen, and then had the care of his father's family, eight in number. He married Miss Mary J. Goff, of Henry County, February 17, 1874. By this union they have but one child, a daughter, six years old. In 1838 Mr. Goff attended the sale of government lands in Henry County, and made purchase of 160 acres, being at the time a resident of Tebo Township, where he stayed until 1857. Then he moved to his land, and commenced building and improving his farm, and erecting buildings. He subsequently bought 100 acres besides having entered 120 acres. In 1859 he purchased 153 acres for which he received no title until 1865. He possessed at one period more than 500 acres, but has now but 262 acres. His political views are Democratic. As is mentioned in another part of this work, the early courts were held at the Goff residence.
GOFORTH, William P.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 575
William Goforth, carpenter, architect and builder, and patentee of the celebrated window frame and sash cord fastener, and other valuable articles, was born in Fulton County, Illinois, April 8, 1836. His father, Rev. John Goforth, of the Baptist Church, in Fulton County, was born in North Carolina, and married Miss Rhoda Powell, a native of Tennessee. In 1857, the family moved to Bremer County, Iowa. In 1853, William commenced to learn his trade, in which he has became very proficient. In 1857, he came to Missouri, and settled in the southeastern part of Henry County, and started a small store, but after a time he sold out and went to Osceola, St. Clair County, opening a shop and engaging in building. In August, 1862, he enlisted in the Confederate army and remained until the close of the war. Commencing at the battle of Lone Jack he saw very hard service all through the war, being for the most of the time in General Parson's command. In 1865, he came to Windsor, where he has been occupied in building and maturing several useful patents. In 1874, he patented a serviceable chair, which is coming into general use. He also patented a useful wind engine, and a bed spring and a washer. His window frame and sash cord fastener is being used a great deal, and he anticipates making several other important improvements. He married Miss Susan C. Moran December 28, 1858. She died February 13, 1877, leaving three children: Lenora Elenor, Minnie Gray, and Eva Willistena, who died when three years old. One died in infancy. October 30, 1879, he married Miss Christina V. Henry, daughter of George Henry, of English parentage, and Hannah (Hughes) Henry, both of whom were natives of Ohio. By this union they have one child, Carlass. Mr. G. in his political views is a Democrat. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and also belongs to the Masonic lodge. He has been the architect and builder of some of the finest residences and buildings in the town and county.
GOOCH, Charles I.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 691
Charles I. Gooch, farmer and stock raiser, section 22, was born in Mason County, Kentucky, July 20, 1828. His father, Charles I. Gooch, was a horse dealer, and a native of Virginia. In 1800 he removed to Kentucky, where he married Tabitha Walton, a Virginian by birth. Young Charles was the sixth in a family of seven children. He was reared on a farm in Kentucky, and received his education in the subscription schools and commercial college at Covington. In 1851 he came west and stopped at the town of Boonville, engaging in farming near there, where he remained for five years. In 1856 he was informed by an old friend of the excellent land to be entered in Henry County, and accordingly he came here and entered his land, which now constitutes a farm of 340 acres, under fence and improved, with a good house, barn and orchard. A superior vein of coal is on this farm. February 7, 1857, Mr. Gooch married Miss Sophia Hiligas, a native of Ohio. They have seven children, Martha, Mary, Lucy, George, Henry and Eddie, living, and one, Samuel, deceased.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 748
Captain Reuben Good, a pioneer settler of this township, is a native of Montgomery County, Ohio, and was born January 11, 1825. Adam Good, his father, originally of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, went to Ohio when a young man and located in Montgomery County, of which he was an early settler. He served in the war of 1812. He was married in Montgomery County to Miss Margaret Hillagus who was born in Pennsylvania. Reuben Good grew to manhood in the county of his birth, spending his youth on the farm. In 1848, he moved to Indiana and located in Fountain County, where he resided about seven years. In 1856, going to Illinois, he passed the summer in Hancock County, and coming thence to Missouri in the fall of 1856, he settled in Henry County where he improved a farm. His farm contains 720 acres all in cultivation and pasture. A good orchard of 200 apple, about 150 cherry and some plum trees is on the place. Besides his home place Mr. Good has a farm of 175 acres and a timber tract of 160 acres, partly in Henry and partly in St. Clair Counties. He is one of the largest stock feeders in the township and feeds on an average 200 head of steers and about the same number of hogs yearly. He was married June 20, 1854, to Miss Susan Huber, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Elisha and Catharine Huber. They have a family of five children: Margaret C. (wife of John Darby), Ellen A., Theodore, Agnes J. and Christina. Mr. G. enlisted in 1862 in the Enrolled Missouri Militia and served as captain. He also served for about two years in the army. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.
GOODIN, James Warren
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 578
James W. Goodin was born December 27, 1839, in Windsor, Henry County, Missouri, his education being such as he acquired in good English schools. His father, Amos H. Goodin, was born October 18, 1804, in Kentucky, and was for many years a teacher in this county. In 1824, he married Miss Margaret Warren, who was born August 9, 1803, in that state. They had eleven children: Jefferson W., born July 16, 1825, and died January 22, 1858; Thomas C., born December 23, 1827, and in 1857 married Miss Susan C. Harlan, of Otterville, Cooper County; John J., born July 12, 1829; Joseph B., born May 28, 1831, and married Miss Sarah A. Patrick, of Johnson County, Missouri, Mrs. J. B. Goodin died in August, 1874, and Mr. G. was married again in 1880; Mary E., born February 3, 1833, married James D. Baker, of Henry County, in 1853, Mrs. Baker died May 26, 1861; Margaret J., who was born August 28, 1835, married James E. Tindall, of this county, in 1854; Sarah A., was born September 24, 1837, and is now the wife of George W. Sacry, of California; James W., our subject, married Miss Olivia A. Buchanan, of Windsor, Missouri; William O. born July 16, 1842, died August 2, 1857; Robert H., born May 2, 1844, died September 28, 1861; Melissa F., born August 26, 1868, married William H. Sallee, of Callaway County, April 18, 1875. Amos H. Goodin and wife have for eight years been residents of Lakeport, Lake County, California, and are well preserved in years. About the year 1808, they had each accompanied their parents to Boone County, Missouri, from Kentucky, thence to Saline County, in 1826, and finally in 1831, to Henry County, where they made their home until departing for California in 1875. He was for many years one of the heaviest property holders in the county, owning for a long time as many as 1,000 acres in a body. He was also for years an educator here. James W., having been an early resident of this community, has seen much of the county's growth, and well recollects when deer roamed over the present site of Windsor. Upon the outbreak of the war of 1861, he enlisted on May 10, as a private in the Windsor Guards, under Captain John W. Gibbons, whose company was attached to General Sterling Price's command, and served during the war, or for more than four years, receiving his regular discharge at Shreveport, Louisiana, in June, 1865. He bought his first farm of forty acres in White Township, Benton County, in 1867, disposing of it in 1871, and purchasing eighty acres in this township, in 1873. He now owns here 160 acres, and a two-thirds interest in 145 adjoining, and is quite an extensive raiser of stock. In 1876, he was elected township collector, and the year following magistrate, but declined to fill this latter position. He belongs to Windsor Lodge, No. 29, A. F. & A. M. Mr. and Mrs. G. are both connected with the Christian Church. Politically he is Democrat.
GOODIN, William S.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 579
William S. Goodin was born in Windsor, Henry County, Missouri, January 23, 1855, being the son of Warren Goodin, a farmer and stock raiser by occupation, who was born January 8, 1824, near Marshall in Saline County, Missouri. His mother, formerly Elizabeth Gilliland, was born February 8, 1832, in Cumberland County, Virginia. They were married June 10, 1847, and had eight children, five sons and three daughters, four of whom are still living, three sons and one daughter. Benjamin F., the eldest, was born October 25, 1849, in Windsor, and was married December 14, 1876, to Mrs. Elizabeth S. McClanahan, of Fulton, Callaway County, she being the widow of John McClanahan, of Fulton. By her former marriage there was but one child, Carrie, born February 22, 1870; but by the latter union there have been four children, three of whom are living. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church at Fulton. Catherine Alice was born August 21, 1852, in Windsor, and died September 24, 1869. She was of unusually bright intellect, and no doubt was entertained but that close application produced her early death. She had for two years previous been identified with the Christian Church of Windsor. William S. Goodin attended good common schools in youth, and at the age of nineteen commenced teaching. He was elected November 7, 1882, to the position of magistrate in Windsor for a term of four years. George L. Goodin was born March 16, 1858, in the same township, and, in connection with his brother, William S., is now engaged in farming. Amos H. was born November 16, 1860, in White Township, Benton County, Missouri, and died June 24, 1864, after an illness of two days from severe scalds. James W. was born April 30, 1864, in White Township, Benton County, and died February 5, 1880, of pneumonia after an illness of three days. Eva and Orra, twin daughters, were born December 5, 1869, and Orra died July 29, 1870. In 1876 William S. and George L. bought jointly 115 acres of land in Windsor Township, a part of the old homestead, formerly belonging to their grandfather, Benjamin Goodin, and subsequently, in 1881, purchased eighty acres more. In 1882 they sold the 115 acres, now having in their possession the eighty acres last purchased. They are working together, and have thus far in life depended upon their own exertions. Their mother resides with them and has the management of their household affairs. Both, politically, are Democratic.
GOODLETT, George Washington
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 575
George Washington Goodlett, an enterprising citizen of this vicinity was born February 20, 1830, in Nashville, Tennessee. His father, Adam Gibb Goodlett, a physician, surgeon and planter, was born in 1782, in Orange County. Virginia. We here give his obituary notice as taken from a Nashville paper: "Died, at his farm in Rutherford County, Tennessee, on the 17th inst., in the sixty-ninth year of his age, of affection of the heart, Dr. Adam Gibb Goodlett formerly, and for over thirty years, a successful physician of this city. He was a native of Virginia, born in 1782, in Orange County, but received his education in Lexington, Kentucky. He was for more than forty years engaged actively in the duties of his profession, and was for nine years a surgeon in the United States army, serving a part of the time in the Fourth but chiefly in the Seventh Regiment of Infantry. His commission bore date February 10, 1812. He was present and actively employed during the battle of New Orleans. Although differing in political opinions with General Jackson, their frequent correspondence evinces sincere attachment to each other personally. Dr. Goodlett was at one time in the regiment with President Taylor and General Jessup. He enjoyed the warm friendship of Generals Wilkinson and Gaines while they lived. During a brief visit to Washington last year his general health was much improved by a renewed intercourse with his old brother officers, to whom he felt much attached. For General Jessup, in particular, he retained, to the last, sentiments or regard. Previous to the last war with Great Britain, he was offered a commission in the line, but declined it, at the request of General Wilkinson, who persuaded him that there would be no war. When the army was reduced at the termination of the war, he was the only surgeon that was retained in the southern division of the army. He soon after bore dispatches from the government to our ministers in England and France, and spent sometime in visiting the hospitals of Europe. He retired from the army and settled in this city (Nashville) in 1817 or 1818. He seemed to have a presentment of dying and for several weeks talked calmly and seemed fearless in the contemplation of death, as a christian, confident of the power and willingness of Almighty God to save. He was for thirty years a member of the Presbyterian Church of this city, and although he died as he most wished, suddenly and without pain, he leaves his friends full of assurance in his inheritance of a crown of eternal life. He left an affectionate wife who had stood by him in prosperity and adversity, with all that devotion of which woman alone is capable, and also five sons to mourn his loss. November 26, 1818, he married Miss Charlotte Phanuel Campbell, who was born in 1790, in Virginia. By this union there were six children, five sons and one daughter, five of whom are still living. The daughter died in infancy." In his youth George W. Goodlett acquired a good English education, and subsequently commenced the study of law (intending to make the law his profession) in Nashville, Tennessee, his preceptor being John A. Goodlett, his brother and guardian. This he continued for three 3 years at Nashville, when he went with his brother to St. Louis, Missouri. He was admitted to the bar at the age of twenty-one years, prior to leaving his native state, but resumed his studies while in St. Louis for several years, although engaged in practice. In 1854 he was admitted to partnership, and practiced in connection with his brother until the commencement of the civil war. At its opening in 1861 he enlisted as a private under General F. M. Cockrell with whom he remained until after the battle of Lexington, Missouri. He was then sent on important business by General Sterling Price to General Sidney Johnson, then at Columbus, Kentucky, and from there went to Memphis, Tennessee, and joined General D. M. Frost's brigade, as major. He returned to Springfield, Missouri, and after the battle of Pea Ridge the whole command went to Corinth, Mississippi. He was in the battle of Farmersville, near Corinth, and after the retreat of the army to Tupelo, Mississippi, he visited Richmond, Virginia, with General Price, when he received a commission as colonel. Going to Missouri he raised a company known as Colonel G. W. Goodlett's Regiment, and joined General William Wheeler's command in Northern Mississippi. He was engaged as a scouting officer during the remainder of the war, until the final surrender in Georgia near Rome. He was tendered the office of state treasurer in 1861, while at Memphis, Tennessee, by Governor Clayborne F. Jackson, but declined to accept, choosing to fight at the head of his command. We here give his resignation as sent to General D. M. Frost, (tendered on account of an insult offered him by that general at Sand Hill Prairie, Arkansas.) "Although I now resign my commission, I do not yet resign the cause of liberty. My glittering sword shall yet carve my way to future glory, which shall mark my general's neglect, and when this frail body shall put on its last habiliments, its spirit shall wing its way to yon region above, in passing the pale-faced moon, I'll hang my hat on brilliant Mars, and hail each superlative star; and when I arrive at the portals of Heaven's high chancery, I'll demand of the attending angel to usher me into the presence of my superior, General Washington." Mr. Goodlett was married December 26, 1865, to Miss Ada E. Cook, originally of Covington, Kentucky, and widow of A. B. Cook, an attorney of Springfield, but born in Fort Defiance, Ohio. They have two children: Mark P. and Stella E., the former attending school at Windsor, and the latter at St. Louis. Mr. G. commenced business at the close of the war under adverse circumstances, but with a determination to succeed. Purchasing property in St. Louis, he soon sold it at a large advance, and for eight years thereafter was occupied in conducting a lucrative real estate business. He then took a half interest in a steam boat running in behalf of the Southern trade, but after a year turned his attention to his farm in Windsor Township, Henry County, which he had purchased in 1866. He now has a fine farm of nearly 500 acres of land, to which he has given his supervision since 1876, and upon the place are good buildings. He also raises fine stock to some extent. His house his well furnished, and his library is one of the best to be found in the county. In his manner he is modest and unassuming, and very hospitable. He is much interested in educational affairs, and has frequently been solicited to become a candidate for official honors, but has as often declined with the exception of school offices. He is a member of the A. L. H. Grand Council, No. 434, Windsor, of which he is commander. Religiously he is a Unitarian, and politically a Democrat. Both the families of Campbell's and Godless trace their genealogy to the nobility.
GOODMAN, Francis M.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 516
Francis M. Goodman, bookkeeper of the Tebo Mills, was born in Green County, Indiana, January 29th, 1841. His father, John Goodman, was also a native of that state, and his mother, Jerusha Benefield Goodman, was born in Hamilton County, Ohio, and was a descendant of John Benefield, a soldier of the revolutionary war, and one of the framers of the constitution of that state. They reared seven children, of whom Francis was the youngest. His father's death occurred July 26th, 1858, but his mother is still living. In 1845 the family removed to St. Clair County, Illinois, where our subject grew up on a farm, receiving a good education. When in his eighteenth year he engaged in bookkeeping, and was so employed when the war brought business to a close. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, 117th Illinois regiment, and participated in thirty-eight engagements, serving till mustered out of service in August, 1865. After his discharge he returned home to St. Clair County, Illinois, and shortly took a course of commercial study at Jones' College, of St. Louis, Missouri. Later he became interested in school teaching, which profession he followed till 1877, when he went to Washington County, Illinois. There he gave his attention to farming till July, 1880, when he came to Clinton and accepted a position as bookkeeper for J. Brannum, of the Tebo Mills, in which he is now engaged. Mr. Goodman was married April 6th, 1871, to Miss Martha J. Cram, a native of Illinois. They have an interesting family of four children, Maude, Arthur, Frank and Mary.
GOODRICH, Ezekiel S.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 640
Ezekiel S. Goodrich, farmer and stock raiser, was born October 23, 1818, in Madison County, New York, and was the son of Josiah Goodrich, born September 2, 1789, in Vermont, and Hepswath (Lovell) Goodrich, born December 15, 1786, also in that state. They were married in November, of 1810, and had eleven children, of whom five are living. In the spring of 1816 they emigrated from their native state, and Mr. G. took up an Indian lease from the Stockbridge tribe, in Stockbridge, Madison County, New York, 100 acres, which he improved and ultimately bought. He remained there until 1827, when he sold it, and purchased ninety acres of the same tribe, which he also improved. After living upon it for several years he again sold out and removed to Vernon, Oneida County, but two years later disposed of this property and bought fifty acres, upon which he made his home until 1844. Selling it, he emigrated to Wisconsin, while it was still a territory. They obtained a tract of 160 acres, in Oakland, Jefferson County, and there Mr. G. died October 2, 1865. He had been for a long time in feeble health, and was found dead in his bed one morning. He had lived for years with his son Ezekiel S. The subject of this sketch married Miss Lucinda Goodrich, daughter of Charles and Clarisa Goodrich, of Oakland, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, December 30, 1852. They had eight children, of whom there are six living, three sons and three daughters. Emily, who died at the age of 15, was born October 12, 1853. Nancy G. was born December 1, 1854, and died December 25, 1881. Lillian G. was born October 30, 1857, at home. Lucinda and Clarinda, twins, born July 5, 1859. Henry Charles born October 6, 1863. Hall G. born July 11, 1867, and Perry Leigh was born May 3, 1876. Mr. Goodrich, in 1850, in company with five others, started from Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, on an overland trip for the gold regions of California. In the outstart they provided themselves with two good wagons and seven horses and, although laying in a large supply of feed and provisions, were compelled to leave two of their horses in the midst of the great desert, between Humboldt and Carson River, from want of food and water. They took, in starting 1,000 pounds of hard tack, designed for horse feed, but finding many perishing emigrants along the route at these points divided their substance among them to prevent starvation. They succeeded in reaching the summit of the Sierra Nevada, and there, partaking of their very last meal of supplies, were met by a train sent out from Sacramento with supplies of relief for the perishing ones behind them. They reached their destination unaided, and went to work to carve out their fortunes. At Hangtown the party separated. Mr. Goodrich taking one of them, Joel Ives, as partner, started with the two remaining horses for Sacramento, at which place they arrived on the 15th day of July, 1850, after five months wearisome travel. The five reached their destination, with one more who had joined the expedition at St. Joseph, Missouri. Mr. Goodrich and Mr. Ives worked until August, when the latter sickened and died. Mr. G. remained but little more than a year, establishing a ranch and keeping supplies for miners, in connection with his other business. He bade farewell to the land of gold about the middle of November, 1851, taking homeward passage on a sail vessel for San Juan, on the Nicaragua route, arriving at New York about the 20th of January. Upon reaching his home in Wisconsin he resumed farming on the old place, where he remained until 1869, when he sold his property in Wisconsin and made arrangements for a permanent home in Missouri. In that year he bought a portable saw mill and erected it on the Tebo, near Calhoun, which he operated for about eight years. In 1871 he bought eighty acres of land near Calhoun, and moving his family settled upon it, still continuing to operate the mill until 1878, He then built a grist mill in Calhoun, which he still owns, in company with a partner, the style of the firm being Goodrich & Medberry. It is the only grist mill in the place. He now has 160 acres of beautiful farm, with fine buildings, and is one of the leading farmers of his neighborhood. His politics are Republican. He has one son connected with the Presbyterian Church of Calhoun.
GOODRICT, John J.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 639
John J. Goodrict, senior member of the firm of Goodrict & Kensinger, proprietors of the flouring mill of Calhoun, was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, December 17, 1848. His parents were Charles and C. A. (Buck) Goodrict, the former a native of Vermont and. the latter of Connecticut. John J. was reared on his father's farm in. Wisconsin, obtaining a common school education. In 1860 he went to California, where he followed teaming until 1870. Coming to Henry County, Missouri, he was engaged in running a saw mill till 1878, when he erected his present mill at Calhoun. In April, 1881, he was married to Ella Lehman, a native of Ohio. They have one child, Nannie. Messrs. Goodrict & Kensinger have endeavored to do much to advance the quality of flour in this vicinity and in this undertaking have succeeded admirably, and their manufacture finds a ready sale.
GOODWIN, E. M.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 609
E. M. Goodwin, senior member of the firm of Goodwin & Harman, prominent real estate dealers of Clinton, is a native Missourian. He was born in Knox County in 1872, and is a son of W. E. and Rosa J. (Sharp) Goodwin, the former a native of South Carolina and the latter of Indiana W. E. Goodwin came to Moniteau County, Missouri, when a small boy with his widowed mother. They settled at Sandyhook and later removed to Knox County, Missouri, where he grew to manhood and was married to Rosa I. Sharp. In 1885 he came to Henry County with his family and located at Deepwater, which was the year that the town of Deepwater was laid out. W. E. Goodwin was an ordained minister and for a number of years was identified with the American Bible Society. He has always been active in religious work and was principally the founder of the Southern Methodist Church at Deepwater. He and his wife contributed liberally to the maintenance of this church and both felt a just pride and satisfaction in the results of their work. Some time after locating at Deepwater W. E. Goodwin became associated with the Keith & Perry Tile Company, and in fact helped build the factory. This company was later succeeded by the W. S. Dickey Clay Manufacturing Company and Mr. Goodwin remained with that company until 1903. He removed to Clinton about 1910, where he still resides. He took an active part in the building up and development of the town of Deepwater and served as its mayor three terms. He was also justice of the peace for a number of years and served as township treasurer two terms. His wife departed this life in 1911 and her remains are buried in Englewood Cemetery. W. E. and Rosa J. (Sharp) Goodwin were the parents of the following children: E. M., the subject of this sketch; Estella May, now the wife of Dr. E. A. Reeves, Kansas City, Kansas; Bessie, now the wife of Dr. E. H. Henry, dentist, Deepwater, Missouri; Oscar Lee, who died at the age of twenty-five years, and his widow, who bore the maiden name of Estella Millenbarger, is now a teacher in the public schools of Kansas City, Kansas. She has one son, Robert Goodwin, aged thirteen years. E. M. Goodwin received his education in the public schools of Deepwater, Missouri, and for ten years was in the employ of the W. S. Dickey Clay Manufacturing Company at Deepwater. He then engaged in the real estate business at Deepwater as a member of the firm of Hearn & Goodwin. In 1904 he was elected county collector of Henry County, and removed to Clinton and after the expiration of his term of office he engaged in the real estate business with R. E. Harman under the firm name of Goodwin & Harman and since has continued in that business. They are one of the leading real estate firms of not only Clinton but this section of the State. They have done a great deal of emigration and colonization business in western Kansas and Colorado. In 1917 this firm bought 14,000 acres of land and sold 8,000 of it. They operate extensively in southern and western lands. In addition to his activities in the real estate business, Mr. Goodwin has for the past five years operated a large stock farm and for fifteen years has been an active auctioneer and has conducted more sales during that time than any other auctioneer in Henry County. During the past year he has devoted his entire time to war activities, being sales director of the Third and Fourth Liberty Loan. Mr. Goodwin was united in marriage in November, 1894, with Miss Hattie Davis, a native of Henry County and a daughter of M. B. Davis, who came from Illinois here and now resides in this county. Mrs. Goodwin's mother died when Mrs. Goodwin was an infant. To Mr. and Mrs. E. M. Goodwin has been born one son, Ray Davis Goodwin, a graduate of the Clinton High School and was a member of the class of 1919, University of Missouri, where he was specializing in agriculture. He is now a sergeant in the National Army. Mr. Goodwin is representative of the substantial business men of Clinton and Henry County, and the Goodwin family stands high in the community.
GOODWIN, E. Marvin
Clinton, Clinton Township
1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
E. Marvin Goodwin is conducting an extensive and growing real estate business at Clinton, handling immigration interests in the settlement of western lands. He has also proved a capable public official as well as being an active, enterprising and prosperous business man and has a wife and favorable acquaintance in his section of the state. His birth occurred in Knox County, Missouri, May 11 1872, his parents being William E. and Rosa J. (Sharp) Goodwin. The mother was born in Indiana, January 26, 1840, and the father's birth occurred in Charleston, South Carolina, March 5, 1845. He followed farming in early life and on coming to Missouri made his way direct to California, this state, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits for some years. He thence went to Knox County, where he engaged in the same occupation, working for others. Later he conducted farming interests on his own account. When he first came to this state with his mother and stepfather he worked for an uncle, but eventually by reason of his industry and determination he became a landowner of Knox County. Afterward he removed to St. Clair County and a little later took up his abode at Deepwater, Henry County, just three months after the first house was built at that place, the date of his arrival August 1, 1885. While in Knox County he filled the position of colporteur for the American Bible Society. Mr. Goodwin continued in Deepwater township until about 1894, being connected with the pipe works, first with the firm of Keith & Perry, and later, with the W. S. Dickey Clay Manufacturing Company, with whom he was associated until 1894. He next removed to Carroll County, Missouri, where he farmed for three years. He then went back to Deepwater, returning to the employ of the W. S. Dickey Company, but in 1904 he severed that connection in order to engage in real estate business in Deepwater, remaining there until the time of his retirement. In November, 1910, he removed to Clinton, where he has since made his home with his son E. M. Goodwin. At the time that he was in the employ of the W. S. Dickey Company he was elected mayor of Deepwater and served for three successive terms. He also filled the office of justice of the peace at Deepwater and in 1912 he was elected judge of the municipal court at Clinton and now holds that position. He is likewise an ordained minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, attends its conference and has been most active, earnest and efficient in promoting the interests of his denomination. His wife passed away March 18, 1911. E. Marvin Goodwin, who is the eldest of their four children, began his education in the schools of Knox County, Missouri, and also spent a year in study in Queen City, Missouri. Later he attended the schools of Deepwater and after putting aside his textbooks he entered the employ of Keith & Perry. He afterward continued with the W. S. Dickey Clay Company and his first official position was that of deputy postmaster during the Cleveland administration. He was then so small that he had to stand on a box in order to reach the mail. He continued with the W. S. Dickey Company until he accompanied his father to Carroll County, where he engaged in farming for four years. Upon returning to Deepwater he was again in the employ of the Dickey Company, but in 1902 turned his attention to the real estate business in Deepwater in company with H. Hern under the firm name of Hern & Goodwin. That connection was maintained until Mr. Goodwin was elected collector of Henry County, at which time he removed to Clinton, entering upon the duties of his position in January, 1905. He also continued in the real estate business and has been largely instrumental in bringing immigration to the west, handling large tracts of land in Kansas and Colorado, where his efforts at colonization have been of the utmost value in developing and upbuilding that country. Mr. Goodwin is also the owner of a valuable farm of four hundred and twenty-six acres in Henry County, which he is operating as a stock and dairy farm, also handling various grain crops. He is a man of notable energy and determination, formulating his plans readily and carrying them forward to successful completion. On the 28th of November, 1894, Mr. Goodwin was united in marriage to Miss Hattie Davis, who was born in Petersburg, Illinois, a daughter of M. B. and Mary (Parker) Davis, who were also natives of that state. The family removed from Illinois to Henry County, Missouri, where Mr. Davis is still actively engaged in farming, which has been his life occupation. The mother died during the infancy of her daughter, Mrs. Goodwin. A son, Ray Davis, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin, November 17, 1896, and is now attending high school. In his fraternal relations Mr. Goodwin is a Knight of Pythias and is also connected with the Modern Woodmen and the Elks. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and he gives his political endorsement to the Democratic party. He has not only filled the office of county collector for two years but was also collector of the city of Deepwater. His public record, like his private life, is most commendable and his is accounted one of the progressive and public-spirited citizens of his community.
GORDON, Arthur N.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 777
A. N. Gordon, farmer and stock raiser, section 23, was born in Henry County, Missouri, on August 24, 1850. His father, Patterson Gordon, a native of Kentucky, came to Missouri when a young man and located in Boone County in 1829. He was married there to Lucretia Forbes, also a Kentuckian by birth. After this he moved to Johnson County and thence to Rives, now Henry County, in the fall of 1834, settling on the place which the subject of this sketch occupies, and which land he entered and improved. A. N. Gordon spent his youth on this farm, receiving a common school education. He was married December 25, 1873, to Miss Amanda Duncan, a native of Newton County, Missouri, and a daughter of Frederick M. Duncan. They have one child, Myrtle L. Mr. Gordon has ninety-three acres of land, with seventy acres fenced and in cultivation, upon which is a good house and a young bearing orchard of select fruits.
GORHAM, Wallace A.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 580
Wallace A. Gorham, owner and proprietor of Cedar Cliff Farm, was born October 27, 1833, in Pittsfield, Rutland County, Vermont. His father, Alonzo Gorham, a farmer by occupation, was born August 15, 1801, in Putney, Vermont, while his mother, whose maiden name was Mercy Humphrey, was born March 24, 1801, in Rutland, of that state. She traces her descent from the ancestry of General Robert E. Lee, of civil war memory, and she was also a niece of Rev. Simeon Parmalee, who died at the advanced age of 101 years, in 1882, after having devoted more than seventy years of his life to the ministry. They were married in May, 1825, and to them were born six children: H. Lorain, married the Rev. S. R. Weldon, of Rockford, Illinois, in 1852; Wallace A.; Orange R., who married Miss Mary McDowell, a relative of Maj.-Gen. McDowell, March 10, 1863; Laura J., who married Col. Henry C. Forbes, of the Seventh Illinois Cavalry, in September, 1861; Diana M., who married Dr. H. N. Caner, of Freeport, Illinois, in July, 1859; Charles Walker, who married Miss Emma Moore, daughter of Captain Moore, of Lake Erie memory. In June, 1846. Mr. G. with his family removed from Vermont to Rockford, Illinois, remaining there until the death of his wife, August 8, 1866. He now makes his home at that place with his son, Orange B., and at the ripe age of eighty-one years is quite active and in good health. Wallace A. Gorham enjoyed good educational advantages in youth, graduating from the Rockford Institute, his preceptors having been H. P. Kimball and Prof. Addison Brown. He was married October 27, 1857, to Miss Mary, youngest daughter of Lieut. D. W. and Lydia Grippen, of Winnebago, Illinois, the former belonging to Company G, Forty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. There were five children by this union: Emma Gertrude, Olive Minnie, Sue Arabel, Osseo Wabaunsee and Arie Gail, all now residing at Cedar Cliff. In 1869 Mr. G. sold his farm in Illinois and, emigrating to Henry County, Missouri, purchased 160 acres of land adjoining Windsor, on which he remained for thirteen years. In January, 1882, he disposed of his property there and bought his present farm. He has recently opened and is about to commence work extensively on a fine vein of coal on his place, which gives promise of great success. J. C. Beedy (banker of Windsor) is a stockholder in the concern. Mr. Gorham has held the highest offices in the I.O.G.T lodge of Windsor. He, together with his wife and three children are connected with the Congregational Church.
GOTH, John G.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 490
John G. Goth, proprietor of a well improved farm in Deepwater township, is a native son of Henry County and is a descendant of one of the sterling pioneer families of German origin who have settled and developed the southwestern part of Henry County. Mr. Goth is owner of 241 acres of land, forty acres of which is located in Walker township. Mr. Goth erected the eight-room farm residence on his place in 1907. When he took possession of his first tract of 120 acres the improvements were negligible and the soil was partly impoverished, through years of indifferent cultivation. Mr. Goth purchased his home farm in December of 1897 and moved to the place on March 1, 1898. He paid $30 an acre for the land which is now easily worth $75 an acre. He added eighty acres in 1913 at a cost of $60 an acre. The farm is in a high state of cultivation, and the buildings are all substantial. John G. Goth was born September 24, 1870, on the old Henry Goth homestead, north of Germantown, in Walker township. Henry Goth, his father, was born in Indiana in April 1, 1842, and died in Henry County, September 12, 1889. He was the son of Joseph Goth, a native of Germany who first settled in Indiana after immigrating to this country, and came to the Germantown neighborhood in 1854. He was a soldier in the Union Army during the Civil War, and served in Company H of the Seventh Missouri Cavalry. Mr. Goth served until the close of the war, receiving his honorable discharge in April of 1865. The Seventh Missouri Cavalry saw much active service in Missouri, Arkansas and were constantly fighting bushwhackers and giving protection to the loyal citizens of this section of the country. He became owner of the Joseph Goth home place and purchased other land until he owned 190 acres of excellent farm lands. Henry Goth was married to Mary Teeman, a daughter of Henry Teeman of Deepwater township, deceased pioneer settler concerning whom an account will be found in this volume. Mrs. Goth was born in Henry County January 30, 1846, and died July 28, 1904. The children born to Henry and Mary Goth were as follow: Joseph H., living on part of the Goth home place; John G., subject of this sketch; George and Henry, deceased; Elizabeth Goth lives on the home place; Sylvester, farmer, Walker township; two children died in infancy; Florence, wife of Henry Danzenbrink, lives on the Goth home place in Walker township; Edward, a farmer in Deepwater township. Mr. and Mrs. Goth were devout Catholics and Mr. Goth was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. John G. Goth received his education in Oak Grove School and began doing for himself in 1891. In that year he went to California and was employed on a fruit ranch for two years. Upon his return he managed the home place until he purchased his present farm. On October 1, 1895, Mr. Goth was married to Magdalena Kaumans, born in Shelby county, Missouri, November 16, 1875, the daughter of Joseph and Frances Kaumans, who came of Henry County in 1888. Her father is deceased and her mother resides in Montrose. The children born to this marriage are: Andrew, Lawrence, Felix, deceased; Benjamin, Frances, Linus, Gladys, and Alma. Mr. Goth is a Democrat but has no time for political affairs, other than casting his vote at election time. Mr. and Mrs. Goth and the children are all members of the Catholic Church.