HACKNEY, George H. Judge
White Oak Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 716
George H. Hackney, a native of Cole County, Missouri, was born January 2, 1842, being the son of William W. and Celia (Ragsdale) Hackney. The former was born August 10, 1798, in Chatham, North Carolina, while the latter came originally from Huntsdale, Alabama. To them were born seven sons and four daughters, all of whom survive but one son, who died at the age of eleven. George, the eighth child in the family, passed his youth and early manhood in the county of his birth, receiving a good English education. For three years he gave his attention to teaching, and in 1862 he enlisted as private in Co. E., Tenth Missouri cavalry. He was soon appointed duty sergeant and acted in that capacity during the remainder of the war, being regularly discharged at Edgefield, Tennessee, June 27, 1865. Mr. Hackney was married December 26, 1866, to Miss Josephine E. Riggins, of Clinton, Missouri. They have had five sons and two daughters, and all are now living except one daughter, who died when three years old. In 1868 he commenced farming in Henry County, and has since remained here. In 1870 he purchased 180 acres on section 27, to which he has later added eighty acres, and on this place he has lived for twelve years. His residence is situated on an eminence, commanding an excellent view of the surrounding country. There is a very good prospect for coal underlying his farm. Politically he is a Democrat. He raises stock quite extensively.
HACKNEY, Thomas B. R.
Urich, Bogard Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 642
T. B. R. Hackney, a well known and progressive real estate and loan man of Urich, is a native of Henry County and a descendant of a pioneer family of this section. Mr. Hackney was born in White Oak township January 28, 1871, a son of George H. and Joseph E. (Riggins) Hackney, both natives of Cole County, Missouri. George H. Hackney served in the Union Army during the Civil War, being a member of Company E, 10th Regiment Missouri Cavalry, serving four years. He died in 1906 and his wife departed this life in 1914. George H. Hackney was prominent in the affairs of Henry County and for a number of years was one of its best known citizens. He served as a justice of the peace for many years and was county judge from the north district at one time. He served as a member of the Legislature in the Forty-third General Assembly. He was a man of unusual ability, capable, conscientious and won the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens. George H. Hackney and wife were the parents of the following children: Emmett Z., died at the age of sixteen; Jennie C., died at the age of two years; T. B. R., the subject of this sketch; Nannie C., died at the age of twenty-one years; and William L., died at the age of twenty-seven years; Dr. George B., of Magdalena, New Mexico, is now a member of the Medical Reserve Corps, United States Army; Berthner B., manager of the Kauns Department Store, Urich, Missouri; and Grace B., died at the age of twenty-two years. T. B. R. Hackney received his education in the common schools of Henry County and later attended the University of Missouri at Columbia. He then returned to Henry County and was engaged in farming and stock raising for fifteen years. In 1909 he engaged in the real estate and loan business at Urich and is one of the successful men in his line of endeavor in Henry County. During the course of his real estate and loan business he has handled many important transactions. Mr. Hackney was united in marriage in 1895 with Miss Mary B. Harness, daughter of William and Mary (Mullen) Harness of Walker township, Henry County. They were among the early pioneers of this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Hackney have been born three children, Nannie May, Marie A., now the wife of S. R. Taylor, Magdalena, New Mexico; and Jessie G., who resides at home. Mr. Hackney is one of the substantial business men of Henry County and the Hackney family are well known and highly respected in the community.
HAGEBOECK, Bernard Herman
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 494
Bernard H. Hageboeck. In the southern part of Deepwater township, southeast of the town of Montrose, is one of the finest and best improved country estates in all Missouri, owned and operated by Bernard Hageboeck, and consisting of 480 acres, 400 acres of which is located in Henry County and eighty acres just over the line in St. Clair county. The Hageboeck land embraces a tract of the richest prairie soil, which has produced good crops from year to year as the seasons were propitious. However, Mr. Hageboeck has the faculty of adapting an ingrained knowledge of the science of agriculture to local conditions and he generally has good crops. Recently he has deeded 160 acres to his son, Frank. This year, 1918, Mr. Hageboeck has harvested sixty acres of wheat which yielded twenty bushels to the acre; forty acres of oats which gave a yield of thirty bushels to the acre; and has mowed sixty acres of meadow which yielded thirty tons of hay. This farm produces annually about 125 head of hogs, and Mr. Hageboeck keeps about twenty-five horses and mules for the farm work. Bernard Hageboeck was born in Osage County, Missouri, February 6, 1855, and is the son of Frank and Elizabeth (Kemnar) Hageboeck, natives of Germany who emigrated to America when young. Frank Hageboeck was born in 1805 and died in 1885. Elizabeth (Kemnar) Hageboeck came to this country with her parents. Frank Hageboeck emigrated from his native land about 1830 and landed at New Orleans from a sailing vessel. From the southern city he made his way by boat to St. Louis and from there located in Osage County and lived his entire life in that county after coming to America. Bernard H. Hageboeck was reared to young manhood in Osage County, Missouri, and began for himself when twenty-four years of age. He tilled his father's land for ten years and in 1889 he inherited the home farm in that county. He sold this farm in 1891 and the following year came to Henry County and purchased his present place, beginning with 240 acres, to which he has been adding land until he now has 480 acres. Mr. Hageboeck has made many improvements on his land and is constantly improving and adding to its attractiveness and fertility. In 1879 the marriage of B. H. Hageboeck and Mary Brooms occurred. Mrs. Mary Hageboeck was born in Osage County, Missouri, the daughter of Herman Brooms, a native of Germany and early settler of Osage County. The children born of this marriage are: Frank, Joseph, Louis, Rosa, who died at the age of seventeen years, Mary, Elsie and Effie. Frank Hageboeck, the eldest son of the family, was born June 11, 1880, in Osage County. He is an independent Democrat, a member of the Catholic Church of Montrose and is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus of Montrose. Bernard H. Hageboeck is a Democrat but is inclined to an independence of thought and action in casting his vote. He is an intelligent and progressive citizen who has taken a prominent place among the best citizens of Henry County. He and the members of his family worship according to the Catholic faith and attend the Montrose Catholic Church.
HAIRE, Robert D.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 310
Dr. Robert D. Haire, a well known and successful physician of Henry County located at Clinton, is a native of Missouri. He was born in Dade County September 22, 1855, and is a son of Samuel H. and Eliza J. (LeMaster) Hare, the former a native of Georgia and the latter of east Tennessee. They came with their respective parents to Missouri at a very early day and were among the pioneer settlers of Dade County. He was a forty niner, making the trip to California overland during the gold excitement of 1849. After following the shifting fortunes of gold mining for three years, he returned to Missouri by way of the Isthmus of Panama. When the Civil War broke out Samuel H. Haire removed with his family to Alton, Illinois, but returned to Missouri in 1863 and settled at Smithton. He was engaged in the mercantile business, but like many others was broken up in business on account of the war. He died in California May 25, 1869, aged forty-five years and three days. His widow survived him a number of years and departed this life at Connersville, Indiana, November 18, 1906, aged eighty years. Dr. Robert D. Haire was one of a family of five children born to his parents as follow: N. H., was a prominent stockman at Smithton; Missouri, where he died January 26, 1916; Josephine, married James Layman, Smithton, Missouri, and died April 18, 1880; Dr. Robert D., the subject of this sketch; Mary Elizabeth, the widow of Dr. S. M. Hamilton, resides at Seattle, Washington, and Charles H., assistant superintendent for Emery Bird & Thayer Company, Kansas City, Missouri. Dr. Haire received his preliminary education in the public schools of Smithton, Missouri, and later attended Lincoln University, Lincoln, Illinois. He then entered the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, Missouri, where he was graduated in the class of 1878 with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then engaged in the practice of his profession at Schell City, Missouri, and for twenty years was one of the successful physicians of that locality. In 1898 Dr. Haire came to Clinton and since that time has ranked as one of the leading physicians and surgeons of Henry County. During recent years he has confined himself largely to office work and surgery. Dr. Haire has done a great deal of post-graduate work and given much time and labor to scientific research along the lines of his chosen profession. After graduating from Missouri Medical College he later took a course in the Bellevue Hospital Medical College, where he was graduated in 1883, with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. In 1890 and 1891 he studied in Vienna, Austria, taking a general post-graduate course. In 1910 he took a special course in Berlin, Germany, and again returned to Berlin in 1913, taking special post-graduate work. Dr. Haire was united in marriage November 17, 1892, with Miss Maud Maus, a native of Schell City, Missouri, and a daughter of J. H. Maus, a pioneer of that section of Missouri, who is now deceased. To Dr. and Mrs. Haire have been born four children, as follow: Frances, a graduate of the Sargent School of Physical Education, Cambridge, Massachusetts, and a Clinton High School graduate, and is now instructor of physical training at Lindenwood College, Lindenwood, Missouri; Cornelia Carter, a graduate of the Clinton High School and Lindenwood College, and is now instructor in domestic science in the public schools of Clinton; Marian, a student in Lindenwood College, where she is specializing in music, and Robert D., Jr., a student in the Clinton grade schools. Dr. Haire is a member of the County, State and American Medical Association and the Southern Medical Association. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge, being a Knights Templar Mason, and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He also holds membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Dr. Haire not only devotes himself to a busy professional career, every minute of which is crowded with activity and responsibility, but he is also alive to the best interests of his town and county. He has served on the Clinton school board for twelve. years. He and his wife have traveled a great deal. They have not only made several trips to different sections of Europe, but have also visited Alaska and the Tropics.
HALL, Jesse Dial
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 692
J. D. Hall. The subject of this sketch came originally from Stokes County, North Carolina, where he was born October 11, 1828, the son of William and Rhoda Hall, nee Readford, who were also born in North Carolina. J. D. was the seventh of a family of fourteen children. When he was about six years old his parents took up their residence in Moniteau County, Missouri, and here he was reared to manhood on a farm and educated in the subscription schools of the county. From the age of twenty to twenty-five years, he worked at blacksmithing, after which he became interested in the occupation of farming, which he has since continued. In 1868 he removed to Henry County. His farm consists of 280 acres, all under fence, and is giving some attention to the cattle business, feeding at present about forty-five head. July 20, 1858, Mr. Hall married Miss Mary Cornett, a native of Jackson County, Missouri, born November 16, 1831 They have seven children : Walter F., Oreon O., Jessie D., Alice C., Albert H., Hickman B. and Cora Belle. Mr. H. is connected with the Baptist Church, and is also a member of the Masonic order.
HALL, Theodore Ethelbert "Bert"
Honey Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 667
Theodore E. Hall, a progressive farmer and stockman of Honey Creek township, is a native of Henry County. He was born in Bogard township in 1877, a son of A. J. and Juliza J. (Cornett) Hall, both natives of Missouri. The father was born in Moniteau County and the mother in Jackson County. A. J. Hall was a Confederate veteran and served throughout the Civil War. He came to Henry County shortly after the close of the war and located in Bogard township, where he now resides. To A. J. and Juliza J. (Cornett) Hall were born the following children: Mrs. Ida May Hudson, Urich, Missouri; Van W., Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Lula May Elliott, Moniteau County, Missouri; T. B. and B. W., twins; T. B., the subject of this sketch and B. W., a farmer and stockman in Honey Creek township. T. B. Hall was reared in Henry County and received his education in the public schools. He remained at home with his father until he was twenty-eight years of age. He now owns a valuable farm one-half mile north of Hartwell, which contains 340 acres. This was formerly known as the John W. Page place and is regarded as one of the best farms in western Henry County. Mr. Hall was married in 1905 to Miss Bessie Page, a daughter of John W. Page of Big Creek township. Later the family moved to Honey Creek township, where the parents both died and their remains are buried in the Page Cemetery in Big Creek township. To Mr. and Mrs. Hall have been born three children, two of whom are living: Florence May and Frances Lee, living; Bessie Ethel Hall, died January 8, 1910, buried at Norris Cemetery, Honey Creek township. Mr. Hall is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Urich and one of the substantial citizens of Henry County.
HALL, William F.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 825
William F. Hall, president and manager of the Industrial Iron Works of Clinton, Missouri, represents one of the important industrial institutions of Henry County. Mr. Hall is a native son of this County. He was born at Shawnee Mound, March 1, 1869, a son of Frank and Sarah (Arnold) Hall, Frank Hall, the father, was born in Orange, New Jersey. His mother died when he was a child and when he was thirteen years old he went to Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and when the Civil War broke out he enlisted in an Ohio Regiment, and after the expiration of his term of enlistment he next enlisted in an Iowa regiment and served until the close of the war. He was taken prisoner at Richmond, Kentucky, by the Confederates, but escaped shortly after his capture. He was in Georgia with his regiment when General Lee surrendered. After the war he returned to Ohio and in 1867 came to Missouri and settled in Shawnee township, Henry County. He followed farming there about two years, when he came to Clinton and engaged in the boot and shoe business, which he followed until his death. He was a lifelong Republican and always active in his party organization. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Grand Army of the Republic. He was a substantial citizen, and during the course of his business career built up a reputation for honesty and integrity, which is a lasting heritage to his descendants. Sarah (Arnold) Hall, mother of William F. Hall, was a native of Ohio, and now resides at her home in Clinton at Sixth and Franklin streets. Frank and Sarah (Arnold) Hall were the parents of three children: William F., the subject of this sketch; C. E., who is engaged in the electrical business at Wichita, Kansas; and Frances, now the wife of W. E. Myers, Clinton, Missouri. William F. Hall was reared in Clinton, educated in the public schools and graduated from the Clinton High School. He then entered Lampkin's Academy and was graduated from that institution. He then entered the University of Missouri and was graduated from the electrical engineering course in the Class of 1891. He was then engaged as an electrical engineer, superintending the installing of electrical machinery in Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, and Illinois. In 1895, he purchased an interest in the Industrial Iron Works of Clinton, and that institution was operated under the firm name of Pierce & Hall for five years. In 1900, Mr. Hall became the sole proprietor and conducted the business until 1907, when the factory was incorporated, and Mr. Hall became president and manager, and holds that position at the present time. When he became interested in this plant they were doing a general machine and foundry business on a moderate scale, and he immediately enlarged the capacity of the plant and added much machinery. They are the builders of what is known as the "Industrial Engine." It is a very successful gas engine and regarded as one of the best engines on the market for the purposes for which it is constructed. It is manufactured in sizes ranging from two to twenty horse-power, and this engine is in great demand throughout the country. They have recently constructed a type of locomobile. which is the first machine of this kind ever built, which is constructed in the form of a truck designed for heavy hauling purposes, the first one built was for the Miller & Spangler Coal Company, which has proved very successful for hauling coal from the mines to the railroad. The Industrial Iron Works manufactures sawmills, coal mining machinery, and all kinds of steam and gas engines, repairing and rebuilding, as well as new work. They have recently added a garage and other additional space for machine work. The floor space of the machine shop is 40x145 feet and the garage is 60x145. They employ from fifteen to twenty men, mostly skilled mechanics, and frequently have employed as high as twenty-five. The Industrial Iron Works of Clinton was established in 1888 by A. H. Crandall, in a very small way as a repair shop. Its initial home was near the Frisco roundhouse. Shortly afterwards it was removed to Center street, and about a year later to the present location on South Washington street. Michael Hanna, later became a partner of Crandall and the business was conducted by them until Crandall was killed in a railroad accident. J. N. Pierce then became Hanna's partner. Later Pierce became the owner of the business and he later sold a half interest to Mr. Hall as above stated, and since Mr. Hall became connected with it, the business has had a rapid development until it has reached its present magnitude. William F. Hall was united in marriage December 28, 1892, to Miss Lucy Hallie Pierce, a daughter of Rev. J. M. Pierce of Clinton, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. To Mr. and Mrs. Hall have been born four children: Mildred, a graduate of the Clinton High School, and later a student at the University of Missouri, now the wife of C. K. Wilkerson, superintendent of the city schools at Mena, Arkansas; Helen, who was educated in the Clinton High School, of which she is a graduate, University of Missouri, and Baker University at Baldwin, Kansas; Wilma, also a graduate of Clinton High School, and is now specializing in music at DuPauw University at Greencastle, Indiana; and Vivian, a student in the Clinton High School. Mr. Hall is a stanch Republican and takes a keen interest in political matters, having for a number of years been active in his party organization. He has served as chairman of the Republican County Central Committee and also chairman and secretary of the Republican City Committee. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, Woodmen of the World, and he and the other members of his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HALL, William W.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 691
William W. Hall, farmer and stock raiser, section 13, was born in Stokes County, North Carolina, March 26, 1823. His parents were William and Rhoda (Readford) Hall, also natives of North Carolina. The subject of this sketch was the third of fourteen children, and when he was nine years old the family removed to Moniteau County, Missouri, when he was brought up to labor on a farm. For a time he attended the subscription schools, and when about 25 years old, engaged in farming, which occupation he has since followed. In 1870 he came to Henry County. His farm is one of the best improved in the township, and is well adapted to the raising of stock and grain. It contains 410 acres. Mr. Hall is a large cattle feeder. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. March 9, 1847, he was married to Miss Nancy J. McDaniel. She was born in Cole County, Missouri, March 29, 1829. They have nine children, Rhoda J. John W., James R., Sarah A., Fannie E., Jackson D., Henry O., Van Buren and Alonzo E.
HAM, Francis Marion
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 582
Francis Marion Ham, blacksmith and wagon manufacturer, was born in Logan County, Kentucky, in 1833, and was the son of Joshua Ham, a native of North Carolina, who died in 1852, and Frances (Wood) Ham, who was born in Connecticut. She died in 1859. Francis M. accompanied his father to Missouri in the spring of 1845, and settled in Henry County. He was brought up on a farm and enjoyed the privileges of the common schools, which in those days were rather meager. At eighteen years of age, he learned the blacksmith's trade, and located in Windsor as the first blacksmith in 1859. Since that time he has kept his shop in operation (except during the war). In 1861 he enlisted for the army, and was in the third company sworn into the Confederate service in Jefferson City - the Windsor Guards which became General Price's escort. He returned home and enlisted in Collins' Artillery, Battery A, Shelby's Brigade and Marmaduke's Division. They were much of the time in Missouri and Arkansas. He remained until the general surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana. Returning home he again opened his shop, and is now one of the most industrious citizens of the town. He has been particularly fortunate in regard to health, having never been sick a day in his life, when it was necessary to have a doctor. Mr. H. was married in 1858, to Miss Susan A. Ham, in Henry County. Her father was William Ham, and her mother Mary McMillan, came from Kentucky. They have three children living: William J., Francis Marion, and Susan Alice; one died in infancy. Mr. Ham is a member of the Odd Fellows society, a member of the American League of Honor, and belongs to the A. O. U. W. He has been an alderman of the city for ten years, only missing one year in the time. Though having commenced life under not very favorable circumstances, he has at last succeeded in acquiring a good property and home.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 758
Thomas Hamilton, farmer and stock raiser, sections 22 and 23, a native of Monogalia County, West Virginia, was born July 24, 1824. Stephen Hamilton, his father, was born in Virginia, and his mother, formerly Nancy Mackabee, was originally from Maryland. Thomas Hamilton moved to Indiana with his parents in 1830 and located in Delaware County, they being among the first families settling in that county, and grew to manhood in that county. He passed his youth there upon a farm, and in 1848 came west to Illinois, locating first in Jersey County, where he farmed three years, then removing to Coles County. Here he entered land, and after living upon it four years he sold out, and in 1857 came to Henry County, Missouri, entering and improving the farm where he now resides. He has a fine body of land of 320 acres, upon which is a large two-story residence, one of the best in the township. Mr. Hamilton was married in this county in September, 1858, to Miss Ann Elizabeth Paterson, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Samuel Patterson. They have five children: Henry E., Silas S., Charles D., U. S. Grant and Venora S. Mr. and Mrs. H. are members of the Missionary Baptist Church.
HAMPTON, David T.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 667
D. T. Hampton, farmer and stock raiser, section 17, was born in Clark County, Kentucky, October 1, 1835, his parents, George W. and Nancy (Jones) Hampton, also being natives of Kentucky. In 1839 his father removed to Henry County, Missouri, where D. T. grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. From the age of twenty-one until he was twenty-four years old he was engaged in school teaching. In 1858 he was employed as clerk by Kahn Bros. at Huntingdale, where he remained until 1861. Then he enlisted in Captain Stone's company, and was in the battles of Dry Wood, Lexington and Lone Jack. At the last battle he received a gun shot wound in the thigh. At the close of the war he was lieutenant in Colonel King's regiment. After this Mr. Hampton returned to Henry County and resumed farming. His farm now contains 155 acres of well improved land. He is township trustee of the township and is also a member of the Christian Church. December 18, 1866, Mr. H. was married to Miss Mary S. Lane, a native of Henry County. She died November 10, 1880, leaving five children: Joseph R., Lucy, George W., Nora O. and James H. He was again married December 27, 1881, to Mrs. Melvina Ross.
HAMPTON, Joseph Robinson Dr.
Shawnee Mound, Shawnee Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 782
Joseph R. Hampton, M.D. - The little village of Shawnee Mound have in their midst a physician and surgeon who is a native of Henry County and a descendant of the earliest settlers of Shawnee township. Dr. Joseph R. Hampton was born in Shawnee township in 1867, the son of David T. and Sophia (Beatty) Hampton. David T. Hampton was born September 9, 1835, in Clark County, Kentucky, and came with his parents George W. and Nancy Hampton in 1839 to a homestead in Shawnee township. As a little lad David T. Hampton roamed the natural forest and often went with his father to hunt the wild deer, turkey and various other wild game for the table. They lived in the log cabin with its dirt floor and its chinkings in the wall. They drew their water from a natural spring near by and the big logs were brought home by the slow, cumbersome ox to be placed on the big fireplace in the winter. David Hampton, who was southern born and educated, felt that the cause of the Confederate States was right and when his comrades were bearing arms in defense of their rights he too shouldered the musket and joined in the war. He was wounded in the battle of Lone Jack and taken prisoner by the Union forces, remaining in the St. Louis Federal prison until the cessation of hostilities. After the war he returned and was married to Sophia Beatty, a daughter of Joseph and Polly Beatty, early settlers in Henry County. Mr. and Mrs. Hampton settled on a farm three miles north of Huntingdale and here they labored together to make a home for the sons and daughters. The following children were born to them: Dr. Joseph R., of this sketch; Lucy Paul, deceased; George W., resides in Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Olga Ross, deceased, and James Harvey, a farmer of Shawnee township. Mrs. Hampton, the mother of this family, was laid to rest in 1881 and David Hampton remained on the farm until his death in 1913. He had a brother, L. H. Hampton, of Bogard township and a sister, Mrs. Mary Dunham, of Benton County, Missouri, who are still living, at an advanced age. Joseph R. Hampton, the eldest of the children born to this venerable couple, received his education in the public schools of Henry County and attended the Missouri Medical College at St. Louis, Missouri, where he completed his course with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1893. He came fresh from college to his present location and has since seen successfully engaged in the practice of his profession. September 6, 1899, Doctor Hampton was married to Rosa Lampkin, a daughter of Ethelbert and Emma Lampkin, the former now deceased and the latter resides near Montrose, Missouri. Two children, Mary Ruth and Louise M., have come to the home of Doctor and Mrs. Hampton. They are attending the schools of Shawnee Mound, fitting themselves for their future life work. Doctor Hampton lives on a small farm near Shawnee Mound, which contains four acres, and has one hundred sixty acres one and one-half miles north of the city limits. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons No. 343, Agricola, Missouri, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Huntingdale, Missouri. Doctor Hampton is well known in Henry County and is not only a leading physician but is a prominent and substantial citizen.
HAMPTON, L. H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 668
L. H. Hampton, agriculturist and raiser of stock, section 6, is the son of George W. Hampton, who was born in Clark County, Kentucky, September, 1812. His parents, David and Mary (Bryant) Hampton, were natives of North Carolina. January 9, 1834, George W. Hampton was married to Miss Nancy Jones, of New York. He came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1839, and here L. H. Hampton was born, November 27, 1839. He has during life lived in his native county, making farming his occupation. He now owns 245 acres of land in Johnson County and 270 acres in Henry County. In 1861 he enlisted in Capt. Gillits company and was with Gen. Joe Shelby, in the battles of Cross Hollow, Springfield and Fayetteville, Arkansas. He was captured in Illinois and placed in prison at St. Louis, where he was confined at the close of the war. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. April 16, 1871, Mr. Hampton was married to Miss Mary E. Hodges, a native of Johnson County, Missouri, born February 14, 1855, she died June 31, 1881, leaving three children: William, David and Louis.
HANCOCK, John B.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 516
John B. Hancock, farmer and stock raiser, section 3, was born in Owen County, Kentucky, November 20, 1831, and was a son of George W. and Jane (Settles) Hancock. The former was a carpenter and farmer by occupation and a native of Virginia. The latter was a Kentuckian by birth. J. B. was the oldest of a family of three children. His youth was spent on the farm and in his father's mill, and he received his education in the common schools of Kentucky. In November, 1854, he came to Henry County and entered the milling business at Clinton, continuing it for five years. In 1861 he enlisted in Captain Stone's company, in which he remained until the close of the war. He was in the battles of Springfield and Cross Harbor, and at the battle of Springfield was wounded in the arm and abdomen. After being confined in the hospital a short time he was sent home. In 1855 he had entered 320 acres of land in this county, and after returning from the war he began to improve this tract. He has since followed farming and milling, and now owns 485 acres of good land, which he has well improved. He is a member of the Christian Church. October 13, 1867, Mr. Hancock was married to Mrs. Mary Snowden, a daughter of William Herrigton She was born in Henry County, Missouri, October 3, 1841. They have five children living: Mary, George, Josie P. and Clement E., twins, and Mary. They lost two, Rosy L. and Norman.
HARDEMAN, John L. Dr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 749
John L. Hardeman, M.D., one of the leading members of the medical fraternity in this locality, was born in Saline County, Missouri, February 27, 1855. His father, Dr. G. O. Hardeman, was a native of Howard County, and his mother, formerly Permelia A. Townsend, of Cooper County, Missouri. John L. accompanied his parents to Franklin County in 1857 and located at Gray's Summit, where his youth was spent in attending the public schools. There he received his primary education, and was also for one year a student at Pritchett's Institute, and the two following years at the State University. He began the study of medicine with his father, and attended lectures at the St. Louis Medical College, where he graduated March 8, 1878. After completing his course the doctor commenced the practice of his profession at Brownington the same year, remaining there about two months, when he moved to LaDue and practiced there one year. In April, 1879, he returned to Brownington, and since then has built up a large and increasing practice, and by constant study he keeps apace with the progress of the profession. Dr. Hardeman was married in Franklin County to Miss Lizzie Jeffries, a daughter of Dr. Charles Jeffries and a native of that county. They have one child, Elvira P., who was born August 2, 1880. Mrs. H. is a member of the M. E. Church South.
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 837
Reuben Harkess, a widely known and successful auctioneer throughout this section of Missouri, is a native of Pettis County, Missouri. He was born on a farm in Pettis County July 5, 1880, and is the son of James and Jane (Elliot) Harkless, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Missouri, respectively. James Harkless was born near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and his wife was born within five miles of Green Ridge on the old John Elliot homestead, which was one of the widely known and noted pioneer farms in Pettis County. The old stage route ran by the Elliot homestead, and John Elliot was a skilled cabinet maker and wood worker who made coffins for the early settlers of the surrounding country. James Harkless came to Missouri from Minnesota with his parents when six years old, the family making the trip overland in 1855 and the little six year old boy walking practically all of the distance to the new home in Johnson County. They settled near Knob Noster. James was born in 1849 and died at his old home in Pettis County in March, 1915. His wife was born in 1849 and departed this life February 8, 1913. She was a distant relative of Daniel Boone. Reuben Harkless was reared to the life of a farmer and tilled the soil until November of 1909 when he located in Windsor and launched his successful career as an auctioneer. In 1914 he took the agency for the Buick automobile and conducted an automobile business until he sold out April 17, 1918. Mr. Harkless first began to cry public sales in his neighborhood and has averaged over one hundred public sales each year. His largest public sale was one held in Windsor in 1911 which included the stock, business property and residence of a citizen and brought $26,000. On January 10, 1904, Reuben Harkless and Mona Schnabel were united in marriage. One child has blessed this union, Balfour, born July 17, 1909. Mrs. Mona Harkless was born in Pettis County, Missouri, the daughter of Louis J. and Ellander (Rogers) Schnabel, natives of Benton County and Shelby County, Missouri, respectively. Louis J. Schnabel is a successful merchant of Lonia, Missouri, and is father of six sons and four daughters. The Schnabels are of German descent, the father of Louis J. Schnabel having left his native land to escape from the intolerable and degrading military oppression of the ruling classes and to find a free home in America. He homesteaded a tract of land in Pettis County and built up a splendid farm. Five sons and two daughters were born to James and Jane Harkless, as follow: John E., a farmer of Pettis County; Charles R., Sedalia, Missouri, who is a Spanish-American War veteran and was a sharpshooter in Company M, 32nd Regiment Volunteer Infantry, United States Army; Reuben, subject of this sketch; Count, living near Green Ridge, Missouri; Mrs. Bertha Downing, Jefferson City, Missouri; Sarah May, wife of William I. Pittman, whose farm adjoins that of Mr. Harkless in Pettis County; Luster, Sedalia, Missouri. In addition to his activities as an auctioneer, Mr. Harkless attends to a fine farm of one hundred twenty acres located in Pettis County not far from Windsor. He is a Republican and a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 722
Adam Harness, one of the pioneers of Henry County, was born in Hardiville, Virginia, on the 8th of March, 1808. He was the ninth in a family of three girls and seven boys, children of Adam and Elizabeth (Baker) Harness. In 1836 Adam Harness, Jr., was married in St. Charles County, Missouri, to Miss Nancy Murdock. Before he had attained his majority he came to Missouri on business for his father, and subsequently engaged in teaching school, and taught in St. Charles and Gasconade Counties. He afterwards located in Jefferson County, where he lived for some time, then moving to St. Louis County, where he remained until the year of 1854, when he came to Western Missouri, settling on the place which he now occupies. He at first bought a preemption claim and then entered his farm, entering and purchasing about 1,000 acres. He commenced growing stock, which he has since continued. Mr. Harness' neighbors when he settled here, were Dr. Gates, Judge Stewart, Stephen and Henry Vickars, and a Mr. Sevier. He has reared a family of nine children, of whom five are living: William, Joseph, Alexander, Mary Ann and Nancy. Jack, Elvira, Adam and an infant, are deceased.
HARNESS, Joseph Henry
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 395
Joseph H. Harness. Along a stretch of well-kept highway in the Southeastern part of Walker township are a number of very attractive farm homes. The surroundings are ideal for a progressive farming community, with a flowing stream and beautiful timber tracts in the vicinity. This corner of the township is undoubtedly one of the most fertile and progressive in Henry County. The home of Joseph H. Harness and wife is one of the pretty places of the county, and shows in its appearance that the dwellers therein have a taste for the better things of life and believe in beautifying their surroundings. The Harness residence is a very pretty cottage, standing on a rise of ground on the west side of the highway and the other buildings and fencing are in keeping with the house. The Harness farm consists of 210 acres of well-improved farm lands, eighty acres of which are in the home place. J. H. Harness was born October 6, 1871, on the Harness homestead within one-half mile of his present home. He is the son of William Harness (born April 30, 1844; died July 3, 1914), a native of West Virginia and a son of Adam Harness, who was one of the first pioneers to make a settlement in what is now Walker township. Mr. Harness preempted or entered Government land at a time when there was but one house between his cabin and the old settlement of Germantown in the early forties. There were no homes on the way to Clinton which was then but a frontier settlement; William Harness enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1863 and served for one year with the Confederate forces during the Civil War. He became very ill with measles and it was necessary for his father to make the long journey to St. Louis and bring him home in order that he might receive proper care. Adam Harness made the long trip to St. Louis and returned by ox-team, the only available method of transportation in those days. William Harness received a tract of land from his father and married Mary Ann Mullen, who was born in Henry County, a daughter of William Mullen, a pioneer from Kentucky who gave the land for what is now known as the Mullen Cemetery. Mary Ann Harness was born in 1848 and died November 15, 1896. To William and Mary Ann Harness were born fourteen children, twelve of whom were reared to maturity: William A., a farmer in Bear Creek township; A. L., Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Mary Hackney, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Martha Long, White Oak township; Sterling V. and Mrs. Stella McCoy, twins, the former of whom resides in Bates County, Missouri, and the latter is deceased; Harvey, White Oak township; John S., deceased; Edgar died at the age of nineteen years; Mrs. Sarah Wort, living in Kansas; Mrs. Frances Jennings, Maxville, Kansas. J. H. Harness was educated in the common schools and has spent his whole life in the vicinity of his birthplace with the exception of one and a half years' residence in Eldorado Springs, Missouri. Mr. Harness was married, October 18, 1893, to Miss Gertrude Colson, who was born in Walker township, the daughter of Archibald and Hannah (Sevier) Colson, the former of whom came to Henry County and made a settlement in the early fifties, dying here in 1906. He was a Union veteran, one of the best-known of the old settlers of Henry County, and reared a splendid family. His widow now resides in Urich. She is a direct descendant of the famous Sevier family of Tennessee, One of the members of which family was Governor Sevier of Tennessee. She was born in Osage County, Missouri, in September, 1846 and is the mother of seven children: Dr. J. R. Colson, Schell City, Missouri; Mattie, wife of Richard Angle, Clinton, Missouri; Mrs. Laura Chrisman, Bonham, Texas; Mrs. Mollie Clyzer, a widow living at Montrose; Mrs. Gertrude Harness; B. S. Colson, Appleton City, Mo; R. P. a live stock buyer, Montrose, Missouri. To J. H. and Gertrude Harness have been born two children: Glen W.; and Richard P. C., both of whom are at home with their parents. Politically, Mr. Harness is a Democrat. He and Mrs. Harness are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. They are intelligent, well informed, sociable people, who while industrious and enterprising, believe in enjoying the good things of life while they may. The history of the Harness family in America begins with Peter Michael Harness, a native of Holland, who accompanied one of the expeditions of William Penn to the colony of Pennsylvania in search of a home and religious freedom. He settled later in Virginia. A descendant of this Peter Michael Harness was Capt. Jack Harness, who served as a captain of a company in Gen. George Washington's Army, during the War of the American Revolution. He is mentioned in the History of the Valley of Virginia as one of the noted characters in the Revolutionary epoch of American history. He was an inveterate Indian fighter and killed many Indians during his eventful career; three of his brothers lost their lives at the hands of hostile Indians. His son, Lee Adam Harness, was the father of Adam Harness, who was married to Nancy Ellen Murdock and came to St. Louis County, Missouri, as early as 1830. In 1855 he came to Henry County, and settled on Granddaddy Creek, near Stone's Chapel. His son, William Harness, enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1863 and fought at the battle of Wilson's Creek. He served under General Price and was in Price's Raid through Missouri and Kansas, his commander being Captain Spangler of the cavalry. At St. Louis, he became ill with measles and his father made the long trip to bring him home, as before stated.
HARNSBERGER, Hiram H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 581
Hiram H. Harnsberger, of the firm of Harnsberger & Ragan, merchants, was born in Rockingham County, Virginia, in 1830, his parents being Jeremiah and Elizabeth Harnsberger, nee Miller, both natives of Virginia. The latter died in 1880. They lived on a farm and brought up their children to habits of industry, endeavoring, as far as was in their power, to give them a good education. Hiram, the seventh of a family of nine children, made his start in life by teaching school winters and working on a farm in the summer seasons. In 1866 he started in the mercantile business in Calhoun, Henry County, Missouri. After one year he left and went to Cold Store and in a short time to Leesville, where he remained six years. In 1876 he came to Windsor and established his present business. Mr. Ragan has been with him as partner for fifteen years. They were playmates together when boys. Mr. Harnsberger married Nannie R. Galbraith in October, 1859. She was the daughter of Hugh Galbraith, of Waverly, Missouri, and was originally from Tennessee. Her mother was formerly Jerusia Smiley, born in Cooper County, Missouri. They have one son, Hugh B., who has been given an excellent education, he having spent three and a half years at the Central College, Fayette, Missouri, and at the LaGrange College for one year. He is now engaged in the store, and is a thorough and promising business man. Mr. H. is a staunch Democrat. he belongs to the M. E. Church, South, and also is a member of the A. O. U. W. The firm of which he is a member is doing a large business, and necessarily carry a complete stock of goods. No house in the county stands higher for true commercial worth than they.
HARRISON, James M. Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 734
Judge James M. Harrison was born in Mason County, West Virginia, May 24, 1831. His father was William H. Harrison, and his mother's maiden name was Esther Allen, both of old Virginia families. She died in 1854, but the former is residing on the old home farm in Western Virginia. He is a hale old gentleman of seventy-four years, and is living with his third wife. James was the second of eleven children, six of whom are living, two besides himself in Missouri, Caroline, (wife of William A. Pfost) and Virginia, (wife of James Porter.) He grew to manhood on his father's farm, and in his twenty-first year was married, January 10, 1852, to Miss Esther Fisher, of Virginia. In 1856 they came to Missouri and settled near Calhoun, where they lived on the "Draper Farm" two years, moving thence in 1858 to his present home. He entered 160 acres of land and bought more as his means would allow, and his farm now contains about 700 acres of fine land suitable for stock growing or agriculture. Mr. Harrison is one of the substantial farmers of the county, and was chosen at the recent election judge of the county court, for the second district. During the war he served about six months with Price. and participated in the action at Drywood, and was also at the capture of Lexington. He afterward served in the state militia, and was at Sedalia at the time of the raid upon that place. In 1876, having suffered from poor health for some time, he went to California and spent one season in the mountains. Recuperating his failing health he has since devoted his attention to the duties of the farm. Judge Harrison lost his wife on the 5th of December, 1877. She left four children: Mary Elizabeth, (wife of John W. Wagner), John W., (whose wife is Anna Rutlege), James H., (who married Mattie Birge) and Mordecia A. January 2, 1881, he married Miss Margaret P. Green. They have one child, Clement J.
HARRISON, James M. Judge
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 373
Judge James M. Harrison, of Davis township, has resided in Henry County for over sixty-two years and is probably the oldest pioneer in the western part of the county, not only in age but in years of residence in the county. Few people who settled in his vicinity sixty years ago are now living, and practically none of the old pioneers are now living in this neighborhood. Judge Harrison has outlived them all and has resided on his farm since he first entered the land from the Government in 1857. Times have changed greatly in that long period and Judge Harrison has lived to see the vast unbroken prairies thickly populated with a thriving population. His first home on the prairie was a pole cabin roofed with boards, the spaces between the poles being filled with mud. A stick and clay chimney, leading upward from an old fashioned fireplace, sufficed for heat and cooking purposes. The cooking and baking for the family were all done over the open fire. Judge Harrison recalls that he had a very happy time in the old days and there was always plenty to eat. Game was easily killed and he shot many wild turkeys and prairie chickens for the table. Local hunters made a business of killing deer for the settlers and the larder was always supplied with wild deer meat. Fishing was excellent and altogether everybody enjoyed life. This primitive and carefree condition of living was common among the pioneers until the border troubles and the ensuing Civil War engulfed the neighborhood. Mr. Harrison enlisted in the Confederate forces under General Price in 1861 and served for about eight months, taking part in the battles of Drywood and Lexington and was at Sedalia when the city was invested by the Federal forces. Sickness incapacitated him for continued duty and he was discharged from the service. During the course of years spent in farming activities and stock raising, Judge Harrison became prosperous and accumulated several hundred acres of land, all of which he has given outright to his children excepting 160 acres. Judge Harrison now makes his home, in his old age, with his son, Mordecai A. Harrison. James M. Harrison was born in Mason County, West Virginia, May 24, 1832, and is the son of William Henry Harrison, a native of Rockingham County, Virginia (born August 22, 1809, died March, 1897). His mother was Esther Allen, a native of Mason County, West Virginia (born December, 1809, died 1862). William H. Harrison lived all of his days in Mason County, West Virginia, although he made trips to visit his children in Missouri, but the climate not being agreeable to him he did not remain for long at a time. He was father of eleven children, only two of whom are living: Josiah, a resident of Jackson County, West Virginia; and James M., subject of this review. Another son, Jeremiah, fought as a Union soldier during the Civil War and died at Salt Lake City in 1915. William H. Harrison, the youngest son, died in September, 1917. He served in the Confederate army. Judge Harrison came to Missouri in 1856 and during the first year lived at the home of his brother-in-law, Leonard Fisher, who had located in Henry County in 1855. He entered his home place of 160 acres in 1857 and made his home thereon as herein stated. On January 10, 1851, the marriage of James M. Harrison and Esther Fisher was consummated in Jackson County, West Virginia. This marriage was blessed with the following children: The first child born died in infancy; Mrs. Mary Elizabeth Wagner, deceased, left one child, May Wagner; John W., deceased, married Anna Rutledge and left three children, James G., Mrs. R. B. Gates and Ray H., now serving in National Army in France, Company B, 18th Regiment Railway Engineers; James Henry, living in Oklahoma, married Mattie Birge and has two children, Mrs. Odessa Harris and Charles Wesley, and Mordecai M. Mordecai M. Harrison was born in 1865 and is the owner of a fine farm of 160 acres. He married Linnie Suttles and had five children, two of whom are living, Esther and Mamie. Mrs. Esther Harrison died December 5, 1877, aged fifty-two years. On January 2, 1881, Judge Harrison was married to Margaret P. Greer, who bore him one child, Clement J., now deceased. During his entire life, since attaining his majority, Judge Harrison has been a stanch Democrat and has been one of the leaders of his party in Henry County. He served eight years as a judge of the County Court, his first term having been in the early eighties and his second term from 1894 to 1898, during which time the present court house at Clinton was erected. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
HART, Alvin C.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 722
Alvin C. Hart, section 29, is a native of North Carolina, and was born in Stokes County on June 4, 1846. His parents were Ashael W. and Verlinda Hart, nee Vanhoy. In 1852 his father came to Henry County and lived one year in White Oak Township, and in 1855 he entered 120 acres of land, where he died November 3, 1865. His wife followed him on the 6th of April 1868. Alvin's youthful days were employed with his father until of age, and on December 28, 1869, he was married in Johnson County to Miss Lucretia Smith, a native of Johnson County. She lived but five years after her marriage, dying November 12, 1874, and leaving one child, Arthur Wallace, born January 20, 1871. In 1875 Mr. Hart went to the Pacific coast, where he remained one year. Since 1877 he has been farming, and now owns a farm containing 160 acres, about 100 acres being in cultivation. He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of his father's family of ten children, five of whom are now living: Sebastian C., Timothy, Sarah B., (wife of James H. Platt,) and Mary E., (wife of James W. Hunt.)
HASTAIN, Thomas Jefferson
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 642
Thomas J. Hastain, the owner of a fine farm of 243 acres about four miles northwest of Calhoun, is an enterprising farmer and stock grower. He was born March 20, 1841, in the township where he now resides. His father, Daniel M. Hastain, was born December 25, 1808, in White County, Tennessee, while his mother, whose maiden name was Martha J. Wade, and a daughter of Dr. Wade, of Henry County, Missouri, was born in Cumberland County, Kentucky. They had nine children, six daughters and three sons, of whom six are still living. One daughter, Susan M., was born February 23, 1844, and married George W. Pigg, of Henry County, October 12, 1861, and to them were born seven children, five sons and two daughters, of whom four survive, two sons and two daughters. Thomas J. Hastain commenced life for himself at the age of sixteen years, when he took charge of his father's farm, consisting at the time of 720 acres, located in Tebo. The senior Hastain at that time was proprietor of a hotel at Warsaw, which he had just purchased. He has had the principal management of the farm since then and a part of it he still owns, and now resides upon. November 6, 1877 he married Miss Sally M. daughter of Seymore and Julia A. Stone, of Henry County, They have one son, Thomas Stone, born September 30, 1878. Mr. Hastain received for his services rendered upon the estate, ninety-five acres of the same, and subsequently bought 108 acres at one time and forty at another, holding now a tract of as fine land as can be found in his locality. He is quite extensively engaged in farming operations, and deals largely in stock, horses, mules, and fine grades of cattle, hogs, etc. Although comparatively a young man, he has from long experience rendered himself thoroughly competent to manage successfully his farm and all the legitimate business in connection therewith. He gives his attention to his own business and this is to a certain extent the secret of his success. He is connected with the A. F. & A. M., belonging to Lodge No. 184, Calhoun; also Clinton Royal Arch Chapter No. 73, and is one of the Patrons of Husbandry Grange No. 1064, of Calhoun. Mrs. H. is identified with the Missionary Baptist Church of Calhoun. His political views are Democratic
HASTAIN, W. T.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 796
W. T. Hastain, a progressive citizen and prosperous farmer and stockman of Shawnee township, belongs to a pioneer family of Henry County and western Missouri. W. T. Hastain was born in Bethlehem township, Henry County, July 16, 1867, a son of Woodson A. and Sarah (Walker) Hastain. W. A. Hastain was born near Calhoun, Henry County, in 1835. He spent his life in Henry County and died in 1914. His remains are interred in Englewood Cemetery and his widow now resides at 310 East Jefferson street, Clinton, Missouri. W. A. Hastain was a son of Daniel Hastain, one of the first settlers of Henry County, who settled in the northeastern part of the county near where Calhoun is now located. He died in Warsaw, Missouri, and his remains are buried in the cemetery there, W. T. Hastain is one of the following children born to his parents: W. T., the subject of this sketch; Addie, married Ben Holst, Los Angeles, California; Emma, married Thomas B. Wilson, Osceola, Missouri; Bertha, married Joe McCuan, Colorado Springs, Colorado; Sarepta, Boston, Massachusetts; George W., Searcy, Arkansas; Sadie, married W. A. Ellett, Tulsa, Oklahoma; Marie, married L. C. Farnum, Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Maude, married E. H. Carnick, Clinton, Missouri. W. T. Hastain was reared on a farm in Bethlehem township and attended the district schools in Bethlehem township, and later he attended high school in Clinton and Clinton Academy. He engaged in farming and stock raising in early life and has made that branch of endeavor his life's study and his life's occupation, and as a reward for his efforts he has succeeded to a very satisfactory degree and is today one of the substantial and prosperous men of the community. He owns a splendid farm of three hundred acres about four miles north of Huntingdale, which he purchased in 1894. The place is well improved with a good six room, two story farm residence, and the barns and other buildings on the place are up to the standard of the residence in modern appointments. Mr. Hastain carries on general farming, although raising cattle, hogs and mules is the leading feature of the Hastain farm. Mr. Hastain was united in marriage in 1890 to Miss Fannie Goff, daughter of Ephraim and Jane Ann (Templeton) Goff. The mother now lives in Bethlehem township, Henry County, and the father died in February, 1914. Mrs. Hastain is one of the following children born to her parents: Ed, Clinton, Missouri; Mrs. Minnie Day, Lewis Station; Fannie, the wife of W. T. Hastain, and Charles F., Rupert, Idaho. To W. T. Hastain and wife have been born the following children: Willie Lee, now a soldier in the United States Army and trained at Camp Grant. He enlisted February 26, 1918, and is now in France with the American Expeditionary Force. The other children are: Alma, Pleasant N., Ina, residing at home, and Helen, who is the wife of Eustace Lake and resides in Shawnee township. The Hastain family are representative of the best citizenship of Henry County, and Mr. Hastain is progressive and public spirited.
HASTAIN, Woodson Asbury
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 787
Woodson A. Hastain, farmer and stockman is a native of Henry County, Missouri, having been born five miles north of Calhoun on the 8th of October, 1835. His parents came from Tennessee the year previous to his birth. He is the fourth of five children, one sister, Jane, lives in St. Clair County, and one, Mary Ann Dice, near Warsaw, Benton County, one brother, John P. lives in Henry County. His mother, whose maiden name was Anna Green died while Woodson was in his youth and his father, Daniel M. C. Hastain, married Miss Martha Wall and they reared a family of nine children. Of these Thomas J. lives on the old homestead, and Susan E. Dilley resides at Calhoun. His father died soon after the war at Warsaw, where he had lived a few years. In 1858, W. A. went to California, in company with others, taking a herd of cattle. While on the Pacific coast he was engaged in milling. He was married March 28, 1865, in Saline County, to Miss Sarah Walker, one of the first settlers of this county. She was born on Honey Creek, June 27, 1847. Mr. Hastain lived in Johnson County until 1870, and then came back to his early home, buying a tract of eighty acres. His farm now contains 160 acres, beautifully situated and under cultivation and the improvements among the best in the county. He has been dealing extensively in stock, and is one of the principal shippers in his section of the county. His family of six children living are: William T., Anna A., Bertha May, Amy L., Stephen A. and George Woodson. Two: Pleasant W., and Johnnie L., died in infancy. Mr. Hastain is a sterling Democrat and is thoroughly imbued with the spirit of education and advancement.
HASTAIN, Woodson Asbury
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 446
Woodson A. Hastain. The Hastain family is one of the oldest if not the oldest pioneer family living in Henry County at the present time. It is one of the old, honorable and well established families of the county, members of which have always taken a prominent and influential part in Henry County affairs. The late Woodson A. Hastain of Clinton was a worthy representative of this fine old family and left a record behind him of which his family and descendants can well be proud. Woodson A. Hastain was born October 8, 1835, and departed this life February 18, 1914. He was born at old Tebo, five miles north of Calhoun, Henry County, and he was a son of Daniel McCumskey and Anna (Green) Hastain. Daniel McC. Hastain was born in White County, Tennessee, and came to Henry County in the early twenties, being among the very first pioneers of this county. He died here during the early seventies. Anna (Green) Hastain was born December 15, 1815, and died April 13, 1839. She was a daughter of Reverend John and Rachel (Mackey) Green. The Rev. John Green was born in North Carolina and died in Tennessee. He was the son of Jarvis and Sarah (Griggs) Green. The former was a private under Capt. Robert Porter, North Carolina, and enlisted in the Army of Independence for service in the American Revolution in 1777. He was killed in a battle with the Indians some time later. Daniel McCumskey Hastain was the son of David, who was born in 1772, and Margaret M. (Roddy) Hastain, born September 23, 1775, natives of Virginia who were in the vanguard of the early settlers of Tennessee. It will thus be seen that the Hastains are of the purest and oldest American stock of undoubted colonial ancestry of English origin. Daniel McC. Hastain had children as follows: James Preston and John Green, deceased; Montgomery died in California; Mary Ann, wife of Abner Dice; Woodson A., subject of this review. All were reared in Henry County. Daniel McC. Hastain was twice married, his second wife being Martha Jane Wade, who bore him children as follow: Thomas Jefferson, died near Calhoun,, Missouri; Minerva Jane, Almira Elizabeth, deceased; Susan Melvina (Pigg) Ruhl, Denver, Colorado; Purlina Jackson, deceased; Mrs. Sarah Frances Schirk, died in Sedalia; Joseph Columbus, deceased; Mrs. Jennie L. Reese, Los Angeles, California; Pleasant Dawson, deceased. When W. A. Hastain attained young manhood he was married, March 28, 1865, to Miss Sarah Jane Walker, who was born June 22, 1847, on a farm ten miles north of Clinton. She is the daughter of Pleasant (born 1796, died 1879) and Missouri Adeline (Lindsey) Walker (born 1816, died 1855). Pleasant Walker was born and reared in Kentucky and came to Henry County, Missouri, with George Wilcox Walker and made settlement in the northern part of Henry County in 1832. Pleasant Walker and George Wilcox Walker were brothers and partners during their entire lives. Mrs. Missouri Adeline Walker was a native of North Carolina. By a former marriage Pleasant Walker had a daughter, Mrs. Sarepta Avery, who died in 1917. The children of Pleasant and Missouri Adeline Walker were as follow: Mrs. Bethia or Bertha Middagh, deceased; Harriet Ann, died in childhood; Mrs. Sarah Jane Hastain; Mrs. Mary Doyle, Kansas City, Missouri; Almira, died at the age of ten years. Taylor Lindsay died in Henry County, and Mrs. Emily Glasgow, deceased. After their marriage W. A. and Sarah Jane Hastain settled upon a tract of partly improved prairie land in Henry County, just south of the town of Leeton, and there made their first home and improved a splendid farm of 300 acres. They resided upon this farm until 1870, and then moved to a fine farm of 400 acres situated five miles east of Clinton. At first they bought an eighty acre tract which formed the nucleus around which they built up a large 400 acre farm. They erected a comfortable residence and good farm buildings and beautified the premises with shade trees and shrubbery, which in the course of years made a beautiful country home. Mr. Hastain was an extensive stockman who was a large feeder and grower of live stock and accumulated a comfortable competence in this manner. He took a considerable interest in affairs outside of his agricultural interests, and for twenty years he served as vice-president of the Citizens Bank of Clinton. Mr. and Mrs. Hastain moved to Clinton in 1905, but after four years' residence in the city they again moved to the country, this time locating upon a place one mile east of the city, where Mr. Hastain died. To Woodson A. and Sarah Jane Hastain were born a family of thirteen children: William T., a farmer living in the northern part of Henry County; Mrs. Anna Adeline Holst, Los Angeles, California; Pleasant Walker, died at the age of two years; Emma Lena, wife of Thomas Wilson, Osceola, Missouri; Bertha May, widow of Joseph McCuan, Colorado Springs, Colorado; Jennie Lind, died in infancy; Sarepta, lives in Boston, Massachusetts; George Woodson, Searcy, Arkansas; Mrs. Sarah Frances Ellett, Tulsa, Oklahoma; Sarah Frances had a twin who is deceased; Mrs. Marie Farnham, Tulsa, Oklahoma; Maggie Ella, died in infancy; Maude Glasgow, wife of E. H. Cornick, assistant manager of the Larrabee Mills, Clinton, Missouri, makes her home with Mrs. Hastain. Each of the children received a high school education and several of them received a collegiate training at Baird College. It is also a matter worthy of recording that in 1858 Mr. Hastain, with others, drove a large herd of cattle across country to the Pacific Coast and engaged in milling on the coast for some time. The Hastains were married in Saline County, Missouri, and resided in Johnson County, Missouri, from 1865 to 1870. Mr. Hastain was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, as is Mrs. Hastain. He was a Democrat but took little or no active part in political matters, being devoted to his home and family. All of the daughters of the family are members of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 355
Alvin Haynie was born in Winchester, Scott County, Illinois, on March 3, 1847. At the age of ten years his father removed to DeWitt County, Illinois, where the subject was raised and educated, receiving a good English education in the common and normal schools of Illinois. He served in the Federal army during the late war as a private. At the age of nineteen he entered the law office of the Hon. H. S. Green, a prominent railroad lawyer of that state, and remained two years, when he was admitted to the bar in May,1868, being then twenty-one years of age. In July, 1881, after several years of successful practice in Illinois, he removed to Clinton, Henry County, and commenced at once the practice of his profession, where he holds a well deserved and prominent place, which his natural qualifications and hard study have given him. He was married November 26, 1872, to Miss Olive R. Longmate. Their family consists of two children: William L. and Frank. Mr. Haynie has attained to the degree of Knight Templar in the Masonic fraternity.
HAYSLER, Charles H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 517
Charles H. Haysler of the firm of Haysler Bros., dealers in harness, saddles, saddlery hardware, sportsmen's goods, etc., came originally from Saxony, Germany, where he was born January 16, 1842. When fifteen years of age, in company with his brothers, he emigrated to America, settling in Cooper County, Missouri, where he began the trade of harness making with C. Vose, of Boonville, Missouri. He remained under his instruction for two years. The war then coming on, he enlisted February, 1862, in Company C., Fifth Missouri Regiment, with which he served till mustered out at St. Louis, Missouri, in March, 1865. After this time he located in Leavenworth, Kansas, and was engaged in working at his trade till May, 1867, when he returned to Boonville, Missouri, and established himself in the hardware and tinware trade. Upon doing business one year he came to Clinton, Missouri, and with his brother, Ernest C., embarked in their present business. They carry by far the largest and best stock of goods in their line in Southwest Missouri, and are known as courteous, honest and excellent business men. Mr. Haysler was united in marriage October 26, 1868, with Miss Elizabeth M. Humbrock, a native of Missouri. They have two children: Hattie O. and Morris C. They are members of the Lutheran Church.
HAYSLER, Gustave C.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 517
Gustave C. Haysler is a member of the firm of Haysler & Sherpy, dealers in hardware, stoves, queensware, etc. The subject of this sketch was born in Saxony, Germany, September 18, 1846 He resided there till fourteen years of age, when with his brothers he left his native home for America, finally settling at Glasgow, Missouri. Here he was engaged at the trade of tinner with J. R. Carson, under whom he worked for four years, and subsequently he followed his trade at various places. In 1867, he returned to Boonville, Missouri, and embarked in the hardware business, the firm being Haysler & Leober, and continuing it till March, 1870. Coming to Clinton he helped to establish his present large business. Messrs. Haysler & Sherpy have one of the finest hardware stores in the state, and carry a stock of $12,000 worth of goods. They occupy one large double store room, and their store has the appearance of a large wholesale establishment. Mr. H. was married May 12, 1870, to Miss Josephine Humbrock, a native of Missouri. The have two children: Arthur E. and Florence A. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity, and also belongs to the Encampment.