LAMKIN, Emilius P.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 525
Professor, E. P. Lamkin was born in 1837, near Jefferson City, Cole County, Missouri, where his father, Josiah R. Lamkin, a Kentuckian by birth, and a thrifty farmer, has resided since 1824. This industrious father, after training his son in the varied occupations of farm life, provided for sending him to the State University at Columbia, Missouri, where he graduated in 1858, under the presidency of that thorough educator, W. H. Hudson. Three years later he received his degree of A. M. from President B. B. Minor. Mr. Lamkin had not obtained his diploma before he was solicited to accept a place, which he entered upon in October, after resigning a position in the state geological survey, under Professor G. C. Swallow, that of professor of mathematics in Mt. Pleasant College, of Huntsville, Missouri. He was connected with this school until 1864, having in the meantime, owing to previous engagements, declined the principalship of the normal department of the State University. The war having virtually closed Mt. Pleasant College, Mr. L. opened a private school in Jefferson City, which was eminently successful. Since that time he has had a number of important educational trusts. In 1870, he was in charge of the public schools in Jefferson City; in 1871, he founded Boonville Male Academy; in 1873, he was again superintendent of the Jefferson City public schools; then, in 1875, superintendent of public schools in California, Missouri; again, in 1877, he was elected to take charge of the Jefferson City school, but resigned the offer, in order to take charge of the Synodical Female College, of Fulton, Missouri, being associated with Rev. B. H. Charles. After remaining there two years, he disposed of his interest to his partner, Mr. Charles, and then came to Clinton. For two years he had charge of the public schools here, after which he became connected with Clinton Academy. To this his zeal, energies and experience are now given, with the hope of making it the crowning effort of a life devoted to the cause of education.
LAMKIN, Uel Walter
1917 Missouri The Center State, selected bios reprinted by Clinton Democrat
Photos: Uel Walter Lamkin
Uel W. Lamkin, county superintendent of schools of Henry County, with office and residence in Clinton, has devoted much of his life to educational interests and ranks high with those who have to do with the establishment and maintenance of the high standard of public educaiton in Missouri. He was born in California, this state, January 18, 1877, and is a son of E. P. and Susan W. (Williams) Lamkin. The father was born in Jefferson City, Missouri, July 2, 1837. His father, Josiah R. Lamkin, was a Kentuckian by birth and a thrifty farmer, who in 1824 became a resident of Missouri. The son had liberal training in all branches of farm work, but was also provided with good opportunities for intellectual advancement, being sent to the State University at Columbia, from which he was graduated in 1858, under President W. H. Hudson, a most thorough educator. Three years afterward the degree of Master of Arts was conferred upon him by President B. B. Minor. Professor E. P. Lamkin had not yet secured his diploma when he was offered the position of professor of mathematics in Mount Pleasant College at Huntsville, Missouri. He resigned his position with the state geological survey under Professor G. C. Swallow to go to Mount Pleasant College, where he remained until 1864, and during that time he declined the principalship of the normal department of the State University. Conditions at the time of the Civiil War practically caused the closing of Mount Pleasant College and President Lamkin then opened a private school in Jefferson City, which was eminently successful. He afterward filled a number of important educational positions and in 1870 was in charge of the public schools of Jefferson City. The following year he founded the Boonville Male Academy and in 1873 he again became superintendent of the Jefferson City public schools. Two years later he became superintendent of public schools at California, Missouri, but in 1877 was again called to Jefferson City. He did not accept the offer, howere, declining as he wished to take charge of the Synodical Female College at Fulton, Missouri, where he was associated with the Rev. B. H. Charles. After remaining there for two years the disposed of his interest in the school to his colleague and went to Clinton, where for two years he filled the superintendency of the public schools. He next became connected with the Clinton Academy and, as in former connections, proved a most able educator, imparting clearly and readily to others the knowledge that he had acquired. He had, too, the faculty of stimulating the interest of pupils and thus producing excellent results. He passed away in 1893, and his widow now resides with her son Professor Lamkin of this review. Uel W. Lamkin is the younger of two children. His education was largely acquired in a private school of Clinton - the Clinton Academy, which was founded and conducted by his father - and he also had some special work in the University of Missouri. All through his life, however, he has remained a student and experience has taught him many valuable things, while reading and observation have constantly broadened his knowledge. He was about sixteen years of age when his father died. He then began clerking in a store, being thus employed for three years, after which he taught in the Clinton schools for about nine years. It seemed that the mantle of the father had fallen upon the son, for he was not long in demonstrating his ability as an educator. After leaving the Clinton schools he entered the office of the state superintendent of shcools and there remained for two and a half years. He was next elected county superintendent of schools of Henry County and is still the incumbent of the position, devoting his entire time to the duties of the office. He has done much to infuse new life and interest into the school work, and he inspires both teachers and pupils with much of his own zeal. On the 9th of June, 1909, Mr. Lamkin was united in marriage to Miss Mary Cabell Dickinson, and they have one child, Uel William, born May 4 1910. Professor Lamkin is well known in fraternal circles, especially in Masonry. He has taken the degrees of the lodge, chapter and commandery and of the first named is past master. He also affiliates with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and with the Woodmen of the World. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian Chruch, and as one of its members he has always been loyal to its teachings. Politically a Democrat, he served as chief clerk in the office of the state superintendent of schools and as high school inspector for the state department.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 614
Ethelbert Lampkin, farmer and stock feeder, was born in Northumberland County, Virginia, April 14, 1832, being the son of Charles Lampkin, born in the same county, and on the same farm, and Elizabeth Lampkin, nee Kenner, also of that county. His grandfather Kenner served seven years in the war of the Revolution, and Charles Lampkin served in the war of 1812, participating in the battle of New Orleans. Our subject was the youngest of a family of seven sons and one daughter. His youth was spent on a farm, and when seventeen years of age he commenced learning the plasterer's trade, working as an apprentice for four years. In 1857, he came west, and located in Boonville, Missouri, where he worked at his trade three years, and upon going to Otterville continued it four years. In the spring of 1861, he went to Pettis County, where he resided until 1863. Taking stock across the plains to Colorado, he worked during the summer at his trade in Denver City. In the spring of 1864, he started for Virginia City, where he arrived in June. Here he gave his attention to plastering and freighting from Fort Benton. In August, 1866, he came down the Missouri River to Nebraska City, where he spent about three months with a brother, and in the fall of the same year came to Missouri, but a short time after, returned to his native state. In April, 1867, he again came to Missouri, and first located in Sedalia, where he was occupied in merchandising until the fall of 1868. Then he sold out his stock, and in 1869, moved to. Henry County, bought land and commenced improving his farm. He has 400 acres in his home place, on section 31, all in cultivation, upon which is a good house and a young orchard of 400 bearing apple and 100 peach trees. Besides this place he has twenty acres of timber, and underlying the farm is a vein of coal varying from twelve to twenty inches in thickness, and from seven to eight feet below the surface. Mr. Lampkin was married in Pettis County, November 29, 1871, to Miss Emma Hutchison, a native of that county. She was reared in Pettis County, and was educated at Christian College, at Boonville. She is a daughter. of W. T. Hutchison. Mr. and Mrs. L. have a family of five children: Rosie May, Lena Gee, Willie T., Claud W. and Harry E. Mr. L. is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church, while his wife is connected with the M. E. Church South.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 477
Ethelbert Lampkin. Down in the extreme southwest corner of Henry County, in Deepwater township, is one of the most beautiful estates in western Missouri, which shows the handiwork of lovers of the best which Nature can produce if the land receives the proper care. The Lampkin estate of 400 acres, which was built up during fifty-two years of residence and tenure by Ethelbert Lampkin and his wife, Emma, is a splendid homestead. The pretty cottage residence occupies the crest of a rising slope, down which is spread an attractive and well kept lawn which is shaded by evergreens and deciduous trees. Mr. Lampkin took up his residence on this place in 1866 and Mrs. Lampkin has lived there since 1871. A large orchard flanks the grove and lawn and an abundance of all kinds of fruit are supplementary products of this large farm. The late Ethelbert Lampkin was born in Northumberland County, Virginia, April 14, 1832, and departed this life in Henry County, February 16, 1895. He was the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Kenny) Lampkin, both of whom were of English parentage. During the fifties Mr. Lampkin went to Pettis County, Missouri, and followed his trade of brick mason at Sedalia until 1861. In that year he journeyed west to Colorado and engaged in mining. In this venture he was successful and became owner of a valuable mine. The Colorado trip and his work as a gold and silver miner netted him a sufficient amount of money to enable him to purchase his land in Henry County in 1866. November 29, 1871, Ethelbert Lampkin and Emma Hutchinson, of Pettis County, Missouri, were united in marriage. This marriage was blessed with children as follow: Rose, wife of Dr. J. R. Hampden of Shawnee Mound, Henry County; Lena, wife of David Atchison, residing on the adjoining farm; William T., married Susan Wilson, daughter of Joseph H. Wilson and lives at Payette, Idaho; Claude, married Maud Oliver, daughter of the late Henry Oliver and resides on a farm just across the road; Harry E., lives at Portland, Oregon; Cline Y., a merchant at Decatur, Illinois; Louise, wife of E. D. Smith, resides on an adjoining farm; Mrs. Ethel Farber, Payette, Idaho; Ben, resides on a farm two miles north of the home place; Roland, born June 11, 1892, resides upon the home farm, which he has been operating. He is now in training for war service in the National Army. The mother of this family of children was born in Pettis County, Missouri, August 7, 1852, and is the daughter of William T. and Martha (Porter) Hutchinson, both of whom were natives of Kentucky and Virginia, who emigrated from their native States to Pettis County via the overland wagon route in the early thirties. Her grandfather, Belfield Porter, entered Government land in Pettis County about 1831. He was an extensive farmer and stock man and brought with him many slaves from Virginia. William T. and Martha Hutchinson were parents of the following children: Bellfield Hutchinson, living at Sedalia, Missouri; Mrs. Emma Lampkin; Mrs. Hattie Cline, Sedalia, Missouri; Louise, Nannie and Mattie, residing in Sedalia. The Democratic party always had the support of Ethelbert Lampkin, but he was never an office seeker. He was a member of the Baptist Church and took a lifelong and abiding interest in religious works. He assisted materially in the building of Union Church and Presbyterian and the Mount Hope Church and helped to build the Appleton City Baptist Church. He was a liberal giver to all religious and charitable causes and never let a worthy call upon his purse go unheeded. Mr. Lampkin was one of Henry County's best known and most highly esteemed citizens. whose place in the history of his county is assured for all time.
LAND, Berryman H.
Dr. Clinton Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 526
Berryman Land, M.D. Among the medical practitioners of this county, who are deserving of more than a mere mention in a work of this kind, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Sparkingburg District, South Carolina, and was born January 21, 1828. His parents, James and Charlotte (Coleman) Land, were also Virginians by birth. In 1831 the family removed to Pickens County, Alabama, and it was there that Berryman spent his boyhood days, being reared in the occupation of farming. At the age of nineteen years he removed to St. Clair County, Illinois, and for the succeeding two and a half years, was a student of the Lebanon (Illinois) College. In 1849, he began the study of medicine with Dr. E. P. Bland and in the term of 1856 and 1857, he graduated at the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis, Missouri. Returning to St. Clair County, Illinois, he practiced his profession there till November, 1865, when he came to Henry County, Missouri. In 1868 he settled at Clinton and here has since been a successful practitioner. The doctor was married July 18, 1849, to Miss Nancy J. Outhouse, originally from Illinois. They had one child, James F. Mrs. Land's death occurred March 18, 1854. He was again married June 6, 1856, to Angeline Latham, a native of Alabama. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
LAND, Francis M.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 669
Francis M. Land, farmer, stock raiser and carpenter, section 36, was born in Washington County, Illinois, September 20, 1848. His father, Thomas Land, was a native of Illinois, and a son of Aaron Land, a Virginian by birth. His mother's maiden name was Lydia Harggamon, originally from Tennessee. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Illinois, and worked at carpentering in that state until 1867, when he removed to Henry County, Missouri. Here he followed his chosen calling for one year. Since that time he has given his attention to farming, stock raising and carpentering. His farm embraces 227 acres, 160 acres of which are in cultivation, and will average with any in the county. Mr. Land is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. he was married to Miss Martha A. Thomas, a native of Henry County, November 17, 1871. They have three children, Minnie, Nathan and Francis C. They lost one child, Alphus.
LANE, P. D.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 704
P. D. Lane, merchant and postmaster at Petersburg, is recognized as one of the thrifty and enterprising business men of Big Creek Township. He was born in Brown County, Ohio, January 1, 1840, his parents being N. D. and Jane (McMahan) Lane, also natives of Ohio. In 1842 the family removed to Missouri, settling in Big Creek Township, Henry County. P. D. Lane grew up on this farm, receiving a good common school education. When in his nineteenth year he taught a winter term of school, and after the close of his school he commenced clerking in a store at Shawnee Mound, remaining there about one year. In the spring of 1861 he enlisted in Owens' Battalion Cavalry, and in the spring of 1862 enlisted in the regular Confederate service, Colonel Jackman's Sixteenth Missouri Infantry, serving for about six months. He was imprisoned and then on parole the rest of the time till the close of the war. He participated in the engagements of Carthage, Wilson Creek, Pea Ridge and Walnut Grove. Returning to Missouri in 1865 Mr. Lane was engaged in farming and trading in stock about fifteen years. He built a business house at his present stand in 1880, put in a stock of general merchandise and is now doing a good business. He was appointed postmaster at Petersburg in the spring of 1881. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, (Agricola Lodge) and is secretary of his lodge. Mr. Lane was married in this county March 3, 1867, to Miss Christine Hiser, a native of Hickory County, but who was reared and educated in Henry County, and a daughter of John Hiser. They have a family of five children: Edwin, Minnie, Lena, Alice and Albert. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
LANE, Samuel Morris II
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 526
Samuel M. Lane, a member of the enterprising grocery house of Bledsoe & Lane, is a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, and was born March 12, 1860. His father, Samuel M. Lane, was born in Ohio, and his mother, Jane (McDonald) Lane, a native of Virginia, was reared in Ohio, where they were married. The family consisted of seven children, of whom Samuel was the sixth. He grew to manhood and was educated in his native county, spending his youthful days on a farm. In March, 1880, he went to Sullivan County, Missouri, but after remaining there a short time took a trip west for his health, in a wagon. He returned to northwest Missouri by way of Kansas, and after a short visit in Sullivan County, came to Clinton in September, 1880. In September, 1881, he engaged in his present business. Mr. Lane was united in marriage October 10, 1882, to Miss Sallie Lindsay, of Henry County, Missouri.
LAWLER, Logan Sutherland
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 501
Logan S. Lawler - The late Logan S. Lawler was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, July 21, 1859, and departed this life at his home in Bethlehem township, Henry County, August 4, 1917. He was the son of Rev. William B. and Amelia (Molder) Lawler. William B. Lawler was born in North Carolina. Rev. William B. Lawler was born in North Carolina November 4, 1821, and went to Tennessee with his parents when six years old. He was the son of Evan and Sarah (Barker) Lawler, the former of whom was born in North Carolina July 27, 1799, and the latter was born October 10, 1799. Amelia (Molder) Lawler was born in Tennessee June 8, 1822, and was married to Rev. W. B. Lawler November 21, 1843. To Rev. William B. and Amelia Lawler were born children as follows: Daniel E., John T., William A., Sarah A., Mary J., James W., Alfred F., Logan S., Theodosia and Robert G. Lawler. Rev. William B. Lawler was a minister of the Baptist Church and preached the Gospel for forty-six years in St. Clair and Henry Counties. He was a farmer as well as being a minister and was well and highly regarded by the people living in an extensive section of territory over which he traveled and organized Baptist Churches. William B. Lawler and family moved to a farm near Windsor, Missouri, in 1865 and some time later settled in Bethlehem township, where Robert G. Lawler now resides. When Logan S. attained his majority. he bought eighty acres of land nine miles east of Clinton and erected a good home. He became owner of 410 acres of land in this locality, which is now being managed by his eldest son, Berry Lawler. He was an extensive live stock man who bought grain to feed to his stock as well as feeding all grain raised on the land. December 27, 1891, Logan S. Lawler and Miss Zora Scott were united in marriage. To this marriage have been born children as follow: Lydia, at home; Mrs. Eula Gray, Roseland, Missouri; Ruth, at home; Berry, manager of the home farm, born April 16, 1900, an industrious and enterprising young man; Ora, at home; Arthur and Luther (twins), the former residing at home and the latter is deceased. The mother of these children was born in Cooper County, Missouri, July 13, 1868, the daughter of Byron and Lydia Jane (Hornbeck) Scott, who came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1882. Byron Scott was born June 12, 1849, and makes his home in Clinton. Mrs. Scott is deceased. Logan S. Lawler was prominent and was widely known throughout the county as one of its best and most enterprising citizens. He was very influential as a citizen and man of affairs throughout the county. His death was a distinct loss to Henry County in many ways. He is buried in Englewood Cemetery, one mile east of Clinton.
LAWLER, William Barker Rev. "Uncle Billy"
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 778
Rev. William B. Lawler was born in North Carolina November 4, 1821, being the son of Evan Lawler, a native of the same county, and Sarah (Barker) Lawler, originally from Randolph County. In 1827 the family moved to East Tennessee and located in Henderson County, where William was reared, acquiring his education mostly by self application. He moved to Missouri in 1838, first settling in St. Clair County, of which he was one of the pioneers. He was married in Polk County November 21, 1843, to Miss Amelia Molder, a native of Tennessee and a daughter of Daniel Molder. Mr. Lawler resided in St. Clair County after his marriage until 1864, coming to Henry County in 1865, where he bought the farm and located where he now resides. He became a member of the Missionary Baptist Church in November, 1843, and in May, 1860, he began preaching and was regularly ordained a minister of the gospel in 1862, since which year he has devoted the most of his time to the study of his profession and preaching. For the past sixteen years he has acted as pastor for different churches in the Tebo Association and is now serving three churches in that capacity. Mr. and Mrs. Lawler have seven children: Daniel E., John T., William A., James W., Logan S., Theodocia E. and Robert T. G. They have also lost three children: Alfred F. died in December, 1878, at the age of twenty; May J. died June 11, 1871, aged sixteen years, and Sarah died in 1859, when seven years old.
LAYMAN, John R.
Bear Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 397
John Layman. After a number of years spent as a successful contractor and builder in Kansas City, John Layman listened to the call of his country and the land and returned to the farm in Bear Creek township in order to do his part in swelling the vast amount of food stuffs needed to feed the people and armies of America's allies in the Old World who are battling for the rights and freedom of mankind. John Layman and Georgiana Layman are owners of 320 acres of farm land in Bear Creek township which they are improving and fixing up so as to make a good country home in time to come. Mr. Layman was born in Clark County, Missouri, in 1860 and is the son of George and Eliza (Combs) Layman, natives of West Virginia and Missouri, respectively. Mrs. Eliza Layman was a daughter of Kentucky parents who were Missouri pioneers. George Layman came to Missouri with his parents when but a boy. He was born in 1817 and died in 1901. In 1865, he moved to Henry County from Clark County and lived for three years upon a farm east of Clinton, and in 1868 he located near Montrose. There are ten children of the Layman family: Mrs. Renie Skelton, Topeka, Kansas; Mrs. Emma Fair, deceased; Mrs. Belle Triplett, Topeka, Kansas; William; Henry, Kansas City; Mrs. Florence Durnell, Joplin, Missouri; Mrs. Florida Burks, Joplin, Missouri; Mrs. Maude Davis, Chicago, Illinois; Mrs. Bab Trott, Joplin, Missouri. In early manhood, Mr. Layman learned the trade of bricklayer and builder and many of the brick houses in his section of Henry county were built by him, among them being the old Nick Erhart mansion which in days gone by was one of the show places of the county. He and Mrs. Layman and the family spent eight years in Kansas City where Mr. Layman was employed as foreman of brick construction on many of the largest public buildings of the city. On account of his health and the fact that the farm needed their personal attention they returned to Bear Creek township and resumed cultivation of their large acreage in 1914. John Layman and Georgiana Erhart were united in marriage in 1886 and to them have been born five children: Iva, wife of Fred Roberst, Muscogee, Oklahoma; Joseph, living on the home place, married Nannie Lober and has two children, Aubertine and Burnell; J. Nick, resides in Bear Creek township, married Pearl Minnich, and has one child, Margaret; Ida, at home with her parents; Frankie, the youngest of the family. Mrs. Georgian Layman was born in Bear Creek township, in 1868 and is the daughter of the late Nicholas Erhart. Nicholas Erhart was born on July 19, 1831 in Bavaria, Germany, and died at his home in Bear Creek township, July 18, 1915. In 1844, he emigrated with his parents, George and Susannah (Schrepfer) Erhart who settled in Cole County, Missouri, near Jefferson City. On the way to the West, his mother died at Johnstown, Pennsylvania. George Erhart made a home near Jefferson City and died there. Nick Erhart was there reared to young manhood and enlisted and served as a soldier in the Mexican War, receiving for his services a Mexican Land Grant in Henry County to which he came soon after the war ended. Not content with having served his country in Old Mexico, he enlisted with the Union Army at the outbreak of the Civil War and was badly wounded at the Battle of Lone Jack. He was hit in the shoulder and was honorably discharged, but after his wound had healed he returned again to the Union service. Mr. Erhart was very successful as a farmer and stockman and accumulated a total of 1,280 acres of land, much of which he gave to his children, owning at the time of his death 320 acres. Mr. Erhart was married to Malvina Coffelt (born 1832; died 1910), a native of Knox County, Kentucky, and daughter of Philip Coffelt, a pioneer of Moniteau County, Missouri, who also made an early settlement in Henry County. Four children born to Nick and Malvin Erhart are living: Mrs. Viola Dutro, Brownsville, Texas; Mrs. Georgian Layman; Mrs. Ida Adkins, Bear Creek township; Mrs. Nellie Harness, Kansas City, Missouri. Mr. Erhart was a Republican and a member of the Lutheran Church. He was a charter member of the Montrose Lodge of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. John Layman is a supporter of Republican political principles. He is affiliated with the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Montrose. He and Mrs. Layman are popular, well liked, industrious and enterprising people, who are hospitable to the core and have many warm friends among the people of Henry County.
LEAR, William Fredrick
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 762
W. F. Lear, a native son of Henry County and a prominent farmer and Stock raiser in Bogard township, was born in this township, April 30, 1861. He is a son of Christopher and Minnie (Blazer) Lear, early settlers of Henry County. Christopher Lear was a native of Holland, he came to America when he was eighteen years of age. His method of obtaining passage to America from his native land was considerably out of the ordinary. He arranged with some companions of his to put him in a barrel and place him on board the vessel as freight. After the vessel had put to sea, his companions were to open the barrel and let him out, which they did. After the commanding officer discovered him, young Lear was required to work to pay his passage until the vessel reached New York, when he was permitted to go his way. This was exactly what he had planned on and in this way succeeded in reaching America. From New York he went to St. Louis and shortly afterwards came to Henry County, and bought land in Bogard township, where he was engaged in farming and stock raising until his death in 1901. He was an industrious man and a good citizen. His widow now lives at Anadarko, Oklahoma. They were the parents of the following children: John, deceased; Henry, deceased; Lizzie married J. H. Tabor, Carbondale, Kansas; W. F., the subject of this review; and Charlotte, who died in infancy. W. F. Lear was reared in Bogard township and educated in the district schools. He remained at home with his parents until he was married in 1885. In 1887 Mr. Lear purchased a farm in Bogard township, and since that time has been successfully engaged in farming and stock raising. The Lear place contains one hundred twenty acres of valuable and well-improved land, which is located in Bogard township four miles north of Urich. The place is well kept and the farm buildings are in good condition and altogether presents an appearance indicating the thrift and industry of the owner. Mr. Lear was united in marriage February 3, 1885, to Miss Belle Hendricks, a daughter of M. L. and Nancy (Tabor) Hendricks. He was born in Kentucky in 1834 and came to Henry County with his parents when he was about one year old. M. L. Hendricks was the son of Asa Hendricks, who was truly one of the pioneers of Henry County, and experienced the hardships and vicissitudes incident to pioneer life. He came to Henry County from Kentucky in 1835. He made rails in Lexington one winter for twenty-five cents per hundred, while his wife remained at home in Henry County and cared for the children. Mr. M. L. Hendricks died December 13, 1882, and his wife died November 3, 1911, and their remains are buried on the old Hendricks homestead. To M. L. and Nancy (Tabor) Hendricks were born three children, the oldest of whom died in infancy and the others are: Mrs. W. F. Lear, the subject of this sketch, and Mrs. H. E. Huffman, of Warrensburg, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Lear have been born four children, as follow: Alice married R. C. Spry, Bogard township, Henry County; Clarence N., married Zonie DePew of Bogard township and resides on the home place; Loy H., now in the service of the United States Navy and after a period of training at the Great Lakes Training Station near Chicago, Illinois he went to France and is stationed at a naval aviation base; and Dora E., who resides at home with her parents. Mr. Lear is one of the progressive men of Bogard township and one of Henry County's substantial citizens. He is a Republican in politics. Mrs. Lear is a member of the Urich Christian Church, as are Mrs. Alice Spry and Mrs. Dora E. Lear.
LEGG, John P.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 647
J. P. Legg, owner and proprietor of a fine farm, comprising nearly 1,000 acres, located about three miles northwest of Calhoun, was born September 18, 1837, in Tebo Township, Henry County, Missouri. His father, Archibald C. Legg, was born September 12, 1804, in Greenbrier County, Virginia, and his mother, formerly Ann C. Cecil, was born October 2, 1813, in Montgomery County, West Virginia. They were married December 23, 1834, and to them were born three children, two of whom are living. William T. was born September 13, 1835, and in January, 1861, married Miss Mary F. Thompson, of Jackson County, Missouri. He died December 26, 1872. Mary E. was born October 17, 1839, and is a resident of Henry County. Archibald C. Legg emigrated from his native state to Saline County, Missouri, in 1830, where he first bought eighty acres of land, and some village property, consisting of houses and building lots. He remained there for two years, engaged in merchandising, when he turned his attention to freighting, plying the trade between St. Louis and Santa Fe, New Mexico. Discontinuing that business at the expiration of two years, he settled again in Missouri, this time in Henry County, in 1836. He bought at first 160 acres in Tebo Township, and subsequently added to it, until he became one of the largest land owners in the county. He was one of the earliest pioneers here, and was for more than forty years identified with the growth and prosperity of the county. He seemed to be prospered in every avocation in life, and though for years afflicted with deafness, and toward the close of life with paralysis, he was a genial, pleasant man in the society with which he mingled. During the late war he was a Union man. He died July 15, 1879. His widow now lives with her only son, who conducts for her the affairs of the estate, in connection with his own farm. John P. Legg commenced life for himself at the age of twenty-one years. He married Miss Mary J. Finks December 13, 1858. She was the daughter of Captain Mark and Eliza Finks, of Henry County. By this union there were ten children, seven daughters and three sons, of whom eight survive. Etta A. was born June 30, 1862, and died July 19, 1872; James A. was born May 25, 1864; Minnie F. was born December 13, 1866; Anna E. was born August 28, 1867; Mary J. was born February 15, 1869; Willie C. was born April 25, 1870; Clara B. was born April 20, 1872, and died August 16, 1875; Charles M. was born August 9, 1874; John H. was born July 19, 1876; Katy was born March 1, 1878. Mr. Legg has for more than twenty years been engaged in farming and the raising and handling of stock. He has an estate second to none in this county, well watered, etc. He also has good timber lands. In the raising of stock Mr. L. takes great interest, especially in the Short Horn Durham breed. He has a number of well bred calves in the line of Short Horn registered stock, and raises graded stock for the Texas market. In his transactions he is peculiarly fortunate. In order to provide water for his cattle he has recently been occupied in sinking a well shaft. Coal is abundant on his farm. His workmen, at the depth of forty feet, passed through a fine vein of coal three and a half feet in thickness, at a depth of sixty feet four and a half feet, and still another of three feet at ninety feet below the surface, with an abundance of rock and slating for roofing purposes. At a depth of 180 feet a magnesium rock of more than thirty feet in thickness was found. Mr. Legg is Democratic in politics. He belongs to the A. F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. fraternities, having joined the former in 1869, and the latter in 1881.
LEGG, John P.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 792
Photos: John P. Legg Mary Finks Legg
The history of Henry County recounts what has been done during nearly a century of striving toward the development of a great county. It must tell of the individual accomplishments of the men who have lived and taken an active part in its progress. One of such men was the late John P. Legg, who was one of the early settlers of the county and honored and revered for his uprightness and honesty of life. He was born in Tebo township September 18, 1837, a son of Archibald and Ann (Cecil) Legg, who were homesteaders of Tebo township, filing on their land in 1830. Archibald Legg was born September 12, 1804, in Tennessee and came to the Henry County in 1830. He married Ann Cecil, who was a daughter of sturdy and brave pioneers, possessed with the conquering spirit of those early days. She was born in Virginia in 1813, and with her parents located in Henry County at an early day. She died August 9, 1903, and her husband passed away July 15, 1879. They were indeed of true American blood and left their posterity to fulfill the ideals, of which they had laid the foundation. Three children were born to them, William T., John P., and Elizabeth, who are deceased. John P. Legg, possessed with the ideals of his ancestors and with a steady purpose to fulfill them, lived a consistent life, giving the best of his time and talent to the work before him. He was a great stockman and specialized in the Shorthorn cattle, which were exhibited at the county fairs, carrying away many of the prizes. He owned 600 acres of well improved land, acquired through years of hard labor. December 13, 1860, John P. Legg and Mary J. Finks were united in marriage and to them were born ten children, as follow: Etta F., deceased; James A., Dickens, Texas; Minnie F., deceased; Anna B., wife of L. H. Lewis, lives at Floydada, Texas; Mary, unmarried, at home with her mother; Willie C., wife of L. C. Richardson, Tebo township; Clara B., and Charles M., deceased; John H., Calhoun, Missouri; Kate, wife of W. A. Brownfield, Calhoun, Missouri. The mother of this interesting family was born June 20, 1833, in Madison County, Virginia, the daughter of Mark and Eliza (Eddings) Finks, Sr., sturdy pioneers of Henry County, who have left the imprints of their good lives in the hearts of their sons and daughters who are scattered through the county. They are now deceased. Mrs. Mary Legg is a member of the Baptist Church and since disposing of her land she is enjoying the fruitage of the years spent in hard work, rearing her family under the primitive conditions. She and her daughter, Mary, are active in the social life of their community and receive their friends in their well-appointed home. Mrs. Legg has twenty-one grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. She has two grandsons in the National Army, Waldo Richardson and John Lewis, both private soldiers, now in France. John P. Legg was one of the foremost agriculturists of Henry County during his life time and he took pride in championing all the good things for the advancement of the civic, religious and industrial life of the community. He was a Democrat. For many years he was a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons and an honored citizen of Calhoun, where he passed away October 21, 1908.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 615
Joseph Lennartz, merchant at Montrose, was born in Mercer County, Ohio, May 25, 1850, Peter Lennartz, his father, and also his mother, whose maiden name was Catherine Simmerman, were natives of Prussia. Joseph spent his youth on a farm and enjoyed fair opportunities for obtaining all education at the public schools. In 1870 he came to Missouri and settled in Henry County, farming for two years. In the fall of 1872 he commenced railroading, and worked at this business for the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Road for three years. In the fall of 1875 he engaged in the butchering business in Montrose, and after two years was interested in the grocery trade one year. During the years of 1878-9 he was engaged in clerking in the dry goods house of Solomon Kahn. Mr. Lennartz commenced his present business in 1880. He has a complete stock of heavy and shelf hardware, and being a good salesman and an energetic and enterprising business man, is receiving an excellent patronage. He was married in Montrose in January, 1877, to Miss Katie Brawnsberger, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Joseph Brawnsberger. She died August 18, 1880, leaving two children, Mary and Cicilia. Mr. Lennartz was married again in Montrose October 23, 1881, to Miss Elizabeth Smith, of Pennsylvania and a daughter of Valentine Smith. They have one child, Josephine. He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.
LEVY, Albert Lee
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 855
Albert L. Levy - The opportunities of the farmers of Henry County are the outgrowth of the privations and struggles of the pioneer men and women who came in the early days of the county's history. The farmer is reaping today where the pioneer labored and sowed. Albert L. Levy was born February 15, 1870, in Fairview township, Henry County, the son of Thomas J. and Frances (Dunning) Levy, who were natives of Illinois and Kentucky, respectively. Thomas J. Levy was born in 1834 in Illinois and with his parents, Franklin and Nancy A. Levy, who were natives of Illinois, came to Clinton township, Henry County, in the very early days of the incoming settlers to Henry County. Thomas Levy received his education amongst the pioneer surroundings and conditions, helping in the building of the home and reclaiming the wild land to cultivated fertility. He married Nancy Dunning, who was born in Caldwell County, Kentucky, and came with her parents, Henry and Nancy (McFarland) Dunning, to Henry County in 1848. She was the mother of two children, Harry, deceased, and Albert L., of this sketch. She passed away in 1876. Thomas J. Levy, after leaving his son Albert L. with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Dunning, went to New Mexico and later to Arizona, where he was interested in mining and also farming. He died in 1902. Albert Levy was educated in the district schools and cared for by his grandparents, who are now deceased. He has farmed for many years, purchasing a farm in Clinton township in 1914 and disposing of the same in 1918. The marriage of Albert Levy and Susan Ann Moyer took place March. 9, 1891. Mrs. Susan Levy was born on the farm in Clinton township where she and her husband now reside. Her parents are John and Catherine (Rhodes) Moyer. A more complete history of the Moyer family will be found in the sketch of Jacob Moyer. Mr. and Mrs. Levy have one child, Pearl Frances, born in 1904, and is attending the Deepwater High. School. Mr. Levy is a Democrat and is a member of the Baptist Church. He belongs to the Masonic Lodge.
LEWIS, Howell Jr.
Deer Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 802
Howell Lewis. At six o'clock on the morning of April 11, 1883, Howell Lewis, one of the oldest settlers and one of the early pioneers of this county, closed his mortal life at the old family residence, near Lewis Station, this county. Deceased was born at Richmond, Virginia, July 10, 1808. He traced his genealogy distinctly from the Washington family. Betty Washington, sister of General Washington, was married to Colonel Fielding Lewis. They raised a large family. On December 12, 1770, a child was born to them and called Howell. He was reared to manhood and became a great favorite with his uncle, General Washington, and inherited from him 1,300 acres of land on the Kanawha River, in West Virginia. On September 26, 1795, he was married to Ellen Hackley Pollard. To them were born eleven children, the subject of this sketch being the seventh. He was four years old when his father removed with his family, and twelve male and six female slaves and their children, under the care of "Old Jack" a trusty leader among them, and took possession of the large body of lands willed him by his uncle, General Washington. In 1831 Howell Lewis and Emily G. Burch were married in Mason County, Virginia. He left his native home, and with his wife and young family turned his face towards the Great West, and located in this county in November, 1836, at his old homestead near Lewis, where he made his home during his entire residence in this state and where he yielded up his spirit to his Maker. His old homestead is located on the top of the rise, just north of the town of Lewis Station. For many years in the early history of the county it was the main stopping place on the road, and many a weary traveler enjoyed the open-hearted, unstinted old Virginia hospitality of its owner. Like all old men, he was fond of talking of the early days. With a bright native intellect and a well-stored mind, he would interest his hearers for hours in detailing reminiscences of the past. In 1849 Mr. L., with others, were struck with the gold fever. After reaching New Mexico he concluded to return and let his fortune remain with his adopted state, Missouri. May 13, 1866, his wife died. He led an active, rugged life, and was blessed with good health until near its close. He was preceded to the grave but a few days by his second wife, Mrs. Mary A. Garrett, a widow lady to whom he was married in 1872.
LEWIS, Robert E.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 355
Robert E. Lewis, the prosecuting attorney of Henry County, was born in the neighboring county of Cass April 3, 1857. In 1866 the family removed to Callaway County, Missouri. He was educated at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri, and while teaching for three years pursued his law studies. On moving to Clinton in March, 1880, he entered the law office of Judge J. B. Gantt, and from whose office he was admitted to the bar in 1881. Mr. Lewis was elected to the office of prosecuting attorney of Henry County at the election of 1882, and has a splendid field to develop whatever of talent he may possess in the high and honored profession in which he has made a life engagement.
LEWIS, Samuel Woodson
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 681
S. W. Lewis, farmer and stock raiser, section 6, is the son of Robert Lewis, a native of Virginia, who removed to St. Louis County, Missouri, in 1818, remaining there until 1855, when he located in Cass County. S. W. was born in that county December 30, 1855. His mother's maiden name was Lucy Bacon, and she was also born in Missouri. Young Lewis spent his boyhood days on a farm and has since followed the occupation of farming, and in 1863 he came with his mother to Henry County, where he has continued to live. He was educated in the common schools of this vicinity, and also attended William Jewell College. His farm contains 203 acres of some of the fine land in the county, and is well improved; March 6, 1879, Mr. Lewis married Miss S. P. Covington, a daughter of John O. and Elizabeth (Barker) Covington. Her father was born in Delaware January 19, 1819, and came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1840. His death occurred September 13, 1863. Her mother was born in Kentucky July 13, 1825. Mrs. Lewis was born in Henry County, Missouri, April 2, 1862. They have two children, Ann B. and Alvia.