LILE, Charles Marion
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 788
Charles M. Lile, section 7. The subject of this sketch owes his nativity to Livingston County, Missouri, where he was born March 10, 1841. He was there brought up in the occupation of farming, and continued that avocation till 1863, when he emigrated to Montana Territory. He was engaged in mining and farming, and continued to reside there till the fall of 1866, when he returned to Livingston County, Missouri. After following farming till. 1872, he came to Henry County, and in 1877 bought and moved upon his present place. His landed estate consists of 160 acres, well improved. Mr. Lile was married December 10, 1868, to Miss Emily J. Gibins, a native of Missouri. They have seven children: Mary L., George A., Christina, William H., Charles E., Katie D. and James J.
LILE, John W.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 788
John W. Lile, farmer, section 18, was born in Livingston County, Missouri, January 24, 1838. His father, Allen Lile, a native of Tennessee, came to Missouri when. a boy, and subsequently married Mary Cox, who was also born in Tennessee. They had ten children, John being the second child. He was reared to manhood and educated in his native county and has always followed the occupation of farming. In 1874 he came to Henry County and the year following settled where he now resides, having a farm of 160 acres. He has an excellent tract of land and is a most successful agriculturist. Mr. Lile was married in September, 1861, to Miss L. G. Parker of Missouri. They have nine children: Mary L., George, William A., Andy B., Alvia K., John M., Lillie D., Jennie and Laura E. Mr. L. is a member of the Baptist Church.
LINDSAY, James Madison
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 681
James M. Lindsay, one of the early settlers of Henry County, was born in Madison, Rockingham County, North Carolina, February 2, 1816. His father, Reuben Lindsay was born in Virginia; he died in 1827. The maiden name of his mother was Sarah Wall, and she was born and reared in North Carolina. James Lindsay emigrated to Henry County, Missouri, in 1836, and settled in Fields Creek Township, five miles north of Clinton, and was long numbered among the leading citizens of the county: He was twice married; first to Miss Mary A. Fox, of Kentucky, who died in 1847; his second marriage occurred September 23, 1848, to Miss S. Stone, a native of North Carolina. She was a daughter of S. Stone, originally of Salem, Stokes County, North Carolina. He was a large planter, and held various positions of honor and trust, but owing to impaired health, he came to Missouri, thinking a change of climate would be beneficial, having been induced to come to this locality, through his sons who had preceded him. Mr. Lindsay was engaged largely in farming and handling stock. He died August 28, 1864. His widow and daughter still survive him. Mrs. Lindsay, has in her possession a chair, which has long been in the family, and it is now 240 years old. It was made in early colonial days in Maryland, and from there taken to North Carolina, and thence to Missouri.
LINDSAY, Reuben Taylor Jr.
Fields Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 878
Reuben T. Lindsay, one of Henry County's successful farmers and stock raisers, is a native son of this county. He was born in a pioneer log cabin in Fields Creek township, November 2, 1861. He is a son of Reuben T. Lindsay and Margaret (Stone) Lindsay. They were the parents of the following children: James D., Sarah J., Reuben T. and John S. W. Margaret (Stone) Lindsay was a daughter of Solothiel and Jane (Close) Stone, natives of North Carolina, who with their family came to Henry County in 1847. Her father was born in 1786 and died in 1862, and her mother was born in 1796 and died in 1872. They were the parents of the following children: Rebecca, Margaret, Eliza C., D. C., C. L., Minerva, Flavety, John C., Susan S., S. A. and Nancy C. Margaret Stone Lindsay died March 2, 1881, and Reuben T. Lindsay afterwards married her sister, who was the widow of Rev. James Cummings. Reuben T. Lindsay, Sr., was born April 3, 1827, in Rockingham County, North Carolina, the son of Reuben and Sarah (Walls) Lindsay. His father, Reuben Lindsay, was born in 1778, in Maryland, and with his parents went to Rockingham County, North Carolina, in 1790, where he received his education and became a very influential and prosperous tobacco planter and slave owner. In the War of 1812 he was United States quartermaster, located at Norfolk, Virginia. In 1815 he married Sarah Walls, who was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, in 1790, and shortly after her birth her parents moved to Rockingham County, North Carolina. Reuben Lindsay, Sr., died in 1827, and left his widow with five children, as follow: Joshua, James, Morrison A., Robert and Reuben T. With her son, Reuben T., the mother came to Tebo township, Henry County, in 1839, and one year later settled in section 10, Fields Creek township. They were the second family to settle in Fields Creek township, Joseph Fields being there only a short time previous to their coming. Mrs. Sarah Lindsay later married William Fewell, and they returned to North Carolina, where she died, in 1865. R. T. Lindsay, Sr., served in the Civil War and was a member of the 16th Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry. After the war he continued farming and stock raising, and was very successful. He was a Royal Arch Mason, and with his family was a member of the Methodist Church. He was laid to rest in Englewood Cemetery, Clinton, and his second wife died at Adair, Oklahoma, in 1903. Reuben T. Lindsay, whose name introduces this review, was educated in the Fields Creek school, and his education supplemented by attendance at the Clinton Academy and the Fayette, Missouri, College. He has followed farming and stock raising all of his life, spending his early days with his father, and later tilling the same acres as his own. He owns 2,100 acres of land, the most of which is in pasture land for his large herds of cattle and hogs. About 700 acres are farmed, raising the usual crops of wheat, corn and oats. His home is modern and well kept, where all of his friends are welcome to enjoy his hospitality. In 1887 Mr. Lindsay was united in marriage to Sallie F. Roysten, a daughter of Dr. E. C. and Eliza Drake Roysten. The father is deceased, and the mother lives at Huntingdale, Missouri, at the advanced age of ninety-one years. One daughter, Mrs. J. S. Spangler, has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lindsay. She resides with her parents. Mr. Lindsay is one of Henry County's most progressive citizens, and ranks among the leading citizens of the county. The Lindsay family is truly one of Henry County's pioneer families.
LINDSAY, Reuben Taylor Sr.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 682
R. T. Lindsay, farmer and feeder of cattle, section 10, is one of the pioneers of this county, and was born in Rockingham County, North Carolina, April 3, 1827. His father, Reuben Lindsay, a native of Maryland, born in 1787, moved with his parents to Rockingham County, North Carolina, when three years old, and was there reared and educated, later in life becoming an extensive planter and speculator in tobacco. He married Miss Sarah Walls in 1815, she being a native of Culpeper County, Virginia, born in 1790. After this event they settled in North Carolina. To them were born five children: Joshua, James, Morrison A., Robert and R. T. The senior Lindsay, who had served as quartermaster at Norfolk, Virginia, during the war of 1812, died in 1827, and his widow, with the family, came to Henry County, Missouri, settling where R. T. now resides. She was married a second time in 1844 to William Fewell and subsequently returned to North Carolina where she died in April, 1865. The subject of this sketch is the only child of the family, now living. He took up his permanent location in this county in 1839, and until the spring of 1840 lived in Tebo Township, at that time moving to his present residence. He was the second settler in Fields Creek Township, Joseph Fields having preceded him only a short time. He was married April 28, 1856, to Miss Margaret C. Stone, a native of Stokes County, North Carolina, born January 16, 1825, and a daughter of Salathiel and Jane (Close) Stone. Her father was born in Davidson County, North Carolina, in 1786, and died in 1862, while her mother, originally of Stokes County, was born in 1796, and died in 1872. They were married in 1811 and in 1847 came to Henry County, Missouri. They had a family of twelve children: Rebecca, Margaret, Eliza, C. D. C., C. L., Minerva, Flavety, John C., Susan, S. A., Nancy C. and Jesse T. After his marriage Mr. Lindsay and his wife settled in this township where Mrs. L. died March 2, 1881, leaving four children: James D., born November 7, 1857; Sarah J., born June 5, 1859; Reuben T., born November 2, 1861; and John S. was born October 25, 1866. Mr. Lindsay's second marriage occurred July 28, 1881, to Mrs. C. A. Cummings, whose maiden name was Stone and a sister of his former wife. Her first husband, Rev. James Cummings, a native of North Carolina, who was born in 1826, died in this state, leaving two sons living: David S. and James F.; one, Jesse, was deceased. Mrs. Lindsay was born in North Carolina January 3, 1831, and accompanied her parents on their move to Missouri. During the late war Mr. L. served in the Sixteenth Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry. He is a Royal Arch Mason and the family are members of the M. E. Church, South.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 510
Claude Lingle - The Clinton Auto Company, established in March, 1916, while one of the newer business enterprises of Clinton, is a leading automobile concern of Henry County. The business is installed in a large room near the northwest corner of the court house square in Clinton and is in a thriving and prosperous condition, due to the enterprise and hustling proclivities of the manager and proprietor, Claude Lingle, one of the younger business men of Henry County and a native born citizen of Clinton. A repair department is maintained in connection with the salesroom for the convenience of the automobile owners and the patrons of the establishment. The concern sells the Studebaker and Chevrolet automobiles and have little difficulty in disposing of the cars which they are able to obtain from the factory. Square dealing and honest and dependable business methods have made the Clinton Auto Company a popular concern in Henry County and the company's many patrons have no complaint of the treatment accorded them. In fact, Mr. Lingle emphasizes the point that every care is to be taken of the needs of their many patrons. When a sale is made a friend is gained and retained. Associated with Mr. Lingle in the conduct of the business is his father, James H. Lingle, and J. N. Crews. Claude Lingle was born in Clinton, Missouri, October 24, 1879, and is the son of James H. and Lillie (Whitehead) Lingle, well known residents of Clinton. James H. Lingle was born in Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri, September 20, 1854. He is the son of John S. and Elizabeth (Cleveland) Lingle, the latter of whom was a native of Kentucky died in 1862. John S. Lingle was born in Pennsylvania in 1808 of Pennsylvania Dutch stock, and died in Sedalia, Missouri in October, 1893. His remains rest by the side of his wife in the cemetery at Warsaw, Missouri. John S. Lingle came to Missouri during the early thirties and followed his profession of bookkeeper, in the employ of leading business firms in Warsaw, for a number of years. He assisted in making the survey of a portion of the territory embraced in Henry and Benton counties during the period when this entire section of Missouri was known as Rives County and the population was sparse, much of the land being an unreclaimed wilderness. He was a good bookkeeper and always held excellent positions. After the close of the Civil War he removed to Sedalia and was there employed for a number of years by leading business concerns of the city as an expert bookkeeper, always dependable and trustworthy. To John S. and Elizabeth Lingle were born seven children: George R., T. J., W. P., James H., all residing in Clinton; B. R. Lingle, Warsaw, Missouri; Mrs. Rosa Early, Sedalia, Missouri; and Mrs. Susan Hastie, Green Ridge, Missouri. James H. Lingle was educated in the schools of Warsaw and Sedalia and early learned the trade of printer. He was employed in the office of the Windsor "Courier" for some time and for a number of years was with the Sedalia "Democrat." He removed to Clinton in 1877 and was employed by Lingle Brothers as foreman and practical head of the Henry County Democrat, and remained in charge of the news department of this paper after it was purchased by C. H. Whitaker. For thirty-nine years he was foreman and the real head of the "Democrat" and remained with this newspaper until April 1, 1918, when he took up his duties with the Clinton Auto Company. Mr. Lingle was married in 1875 to Miss Lillie Whitehead, of Sedalia, a daughter of Edmund and Sarah Whitehead, both of whom are deceased. To this marriage were born two children: Edmund Stoner, who died at the age of fourteen years; and Claude Lingle, subject of this review. Mr. Lingle is prominent in the affairs of the Modern Wooden of America, and has represented this order in three national conventions and is the present national delegate of the order. He has been a life-long Democrat. Claude Lingle was educated in the Clinton public schools and the Clinton Business College, graduating from the latter institution in 1898. He was then employed in a hardware store for one year. For the following eighteen years he was engaged in the telephone business as expert lineman in charge of the district between Sedalia and Nevada. In the meantime he became interested in the automobile business and established himself as owner of the Clinton Auto Company in March, 1916, while still engaged in telephone work. A natural aptitude for the business, an agreeable manner, and possessed of decided business ability, he is making a success of the business. On August 27, 1916, Mr. Lingle was united in marriage with Miss Cora Elizabeth Padfield, of Clinton, a daughter of Isaac H. and Sallie Padfield, the former of whom is deceased and the latter lives in Clinton. Mr. Lingle is a Democrat, but confines his interest in political matters to casting his vote. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and Mrs. Lingle is a member of the Baptist Church.
LINGLE, George R. & Thomas J.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 526
Lingle Brothers are editors and publishers of the Henry County Democrat. This firm is composed of G. R. and Thomas J. Lingle. Their father, John S. Lingle, is a native of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, and the name of their mother when married was Elizabeth Leach. George R. was born in Benton County, Missouri, November 19, 1842. He was reared principally in that county, and learned the "art preservative of all arts" in the office of the Southwest Democrat in Warsaw, where he lived until 1861. Going to Warrensburg, he, in connection with J. W. WOLF; published the Missouri State Sentinel, a paper strongly advocating state rights. After a few months he abandoned this enterprise and returned to Warsaw. In August 1864, he went to Sedalia, Missouri, and the same month commenced the publication of the Sedalia Advertiser, the first regular printed newspaper in that place. After publishing it for three or four months Colonel Jeff Thompson came in on a raid and thus cut off the supply of paper. The following year the office was sold to James Magan, who commenced editing the Sedalia Times, which, after changing hands and consolidating with other papers, became the Eagle-Times, this paper suspending in January, 1883. In 1864 Mr. L. was interested in the Independent and remained connected with it until 1867, when it was burned out. The Sedalia Democrat was built upon its ruins the following year as a joint stock company, Mr. Lingle being one of the original directors. One year later he sold his interest and made his home in Windsor for a time, then once more returning to Sedalia. He filled the position of reporter and foreman on the Democrat until 1879, when he purchased an interest with his brother in the Henry County Democrat. Mr. Lingle was married November 2, 1872, to Miss Ella Withers, a native of Kentucky. They have two children, Leslie and Grace. Thomas J. Lingle was also born in Benton County, Missouri, January 8, 1846, and here spent his youthful days at various occupations. In 1864 he went to Sedalia and became connected with his brother in the Independent Press, which was burned out in 1867. From here he removed to a farm near Windsor in Henry County. After farming two years he published the Windsor Courier, a paper strongly advocating the Meadow County organization. Mr. Lingle built the first two-story brick business house in Windsor, and for a time he was engaged as a notary public and in settling war claims against the state. He then returned to Sedalia and became local editor and foreman of the Democrat, afterwards purchasing an interest, and later was business manager. In 1877 he sold out and came to Clinton and purchased the Henry County Democrat. In 1878-9 Mr. L. served as assistant chief clerk of the state legislature. He was married in 1867 to Miss Lou M. Kelly, of Warsaw, Benton County. They have a family of five children: Edward R. F., Ormsby K., Daisy W., Charles R. and George C.
LINGLE, John S.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 528
John S. Lingle, one of the early pioneers of Henry County, was born in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1811. His father, Simon Lingle, was also a native Pennsylvanian, and by occupation a saddler. The maiden name of his mother was Susan Story, of the same county and state. The subject of this notice received a thorough practical education in the state of his birth, and engaged in several occupations, but mainly as bookkeeper for an iron foundry. In 1836 he came west and settled on section 9, now embraced in Deer Creek Township, Henry County, Missouri, where he was occupied in agricultural pursuits, and at the same time dividing his time between teaching and surveying. He assisted in the government survey of two southern townships in Henry and one in Benton County. He then removed to Benton County, and after farming several years went to Warsaw, where he was long employed as salesman and bookkeeper for James Atkisson, and while in his employ was clerk on the steamboat Thomas L. Crawford, which made regular season trips on the Osage River. He was elected county treasurer for several terms as an old line Whig. In 1865 he removed to Sedalia, where he was employed as salesman and bookkeeper for mercantile firms, and which is yet his home. Although beyond his seventy-first year he is in moderately vigorous health, can read ordinary print without the use of glasses, and yet attends closely to business. He has been a life-long member of the M. E. Church, south. Mr. Lingle was twice married; first in 1836, in Howard County, Missouri, to Miss Mary Fox, who died in 1839, leaving one son whose death occurred when about grown. His second marriage was in 1841, in Benton County, to Mrs. Elizabeth Leach, who had one son, he became editor of the Southwest Democrat, Warsaw, and in 1861 was killed at Cole Camp. Mrs. Lingle died in February, 1862, leaving seven children, five sons and two daughters: George R., Thomas J., James H. and Washington P., of Clinton; Benjamin R., of Windsor; Mary S., now Mrs. R. E. Hastie, and Roseanna, now Mrs. James A. Hudson, of Sedalia.
LIONBERGER, Ralph Thornton
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 706
Prof. Ralph Lionberger, principal of the public schools of Blairstown, Missouri, is prominent in the teachers' profession of Henry County and for the past seven years has been principal of the Norris High School. Mr. Lionberger was born in Buffalo County, Nebraska, October 30, 1885. He is a son of T. R. and Etta (Thornton) Lionberger. The father is a native of Illinois and the mother of Iowa. They now reside in Leesville township, Henry County. T. R. Lionberger went to Nebraska when he was a young man and remained in that State until 1895, when he came to Henry County, which has been his home since that time. To T. R. Lionberger and wife have been born the following children: Ralph T., the subject of this sketch; Carrie, married Thomas McCown, Leesville township; Nellie, married Hugh Randel, Calhoun, Missouri; Calvin, died May 14, 1908; Gaylord, Etoile, Edwin, Otis and Harry, all residing at home. Ralph T. Lionberger was educated in the public schools and was graduated from the Appleton City High School in the class of 1908. He has studied in the State University at Columbia, Missouri. He taught his first term of school in the Turner district, Leesville township. He afterwards taught one year at the Appleton City Academy and one year in St. Louis County, Missouri. In 1910 he became principal of the Norris High School, and held that position for seven consecutive years. He then taught one year in high school in Benton County, and in 1918 was elected principal of the Blairstown school, which position he now holds. Professor Lionberger was united in marriage August 28, 1910, with Miss Audrey E. Smith, a daughter of J. H. and Ellen (Nichols) Smith, of Leesville township. The Smith family are pioneers of that section of Henry County. Mrs. Lionberger was born in Leesville township and educated in the public schools of that township, Windsor High School and Appleton City Academy. Joseph H. Smith is a Virginian and served in the Confederate army with the Virginia troops. Shortly after the Civil War he came to Henry County. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Ellen Nichols, was born in Leesville township. Her mother, Catherine Parks, came to Henry County with her parents in 1835 when she was ten years of age, and they were among the very first settlers of Henry County. To J. H. and Ellen (Nichols) Smith were born the following children: Ida, Fort Collins, Colorado; Hugh, Madison, Wisconsin; J. M., Brownington, Missouri; Elmer, lives in Iowa; Pickney, Nevada, Missouri; Audrey E., the wife of Prof. Ralph Lionberger, the subject of this sketch; Jewette, Lincoln, Missouri; Norma, a teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado; Winifred, a teacher in Henry County, and Helen, also a Henry County teacher. To Professor and Mrs. Lionberger have been born two children, Herbert and Lowell. Professor Lionberger is interested in farming as well as his educational work and owns a valuable farm of fifty-one acres adjoining the townsite of Norris. He has an extensive acquaintance in Henry County and he and Mrs. Lionberger have many friends.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 746
John Little, proprietor of "Edgewood Farm," and a highly respected pioneer of Bogard township, is a native of Ohio. He was born in Starke County, April 19, 1845, a son of John and Elizabeth (Falconer) Little, the former a native of Scotland and the latter of Stark County, Ohio. John Little, Sr., came to America from his native country when he was a young man. He located first in Starke County, then in Columbiana County, Ohio, where he spent the remainder of his life. He died in his ninety-third year. His wife died at the age of eighty. They were the parents of the following children: James, Minerva, Ohio; Robert, Columbiana County, Ohio; John, the subject of this sketch; George, Courtland, Ohio; Mrs. Joseph Frederick, who is now deceased; Mrs. Agnes Hawkins lives in Columbiana County, Ohio, and Mrs. Maggie Hart, who lived near Baird, Ohio, and is now deceased. John Little was reared to manhood in his native State and was educated in the public schools of Ohio, and Union College, an institution near Alliance, Ohio. He came to Missouri in 1870, and first settled near Old Wadesburg, Cass County. One year later he came to Henry County, where he has since resided. Upon coming here he bought one hundred fifteen acres of land, to which he has added from time to time and is now the owner of five hundred eighty acres of well-improved and valuable Henry County land. Mr. Little, in addition to general farming, has been extensively engaged in stock raising and is one of the well-known breeders of Shorthorn cattle in Henry County. Most of his stock are eligible to registration. On February 6, 1873, John Little was united in marriage with Miss Harriet Quick, who was born in Bogard township November 13, 1853, daughter of Cornelius and Dosha (Page) Quick, the former a native of Ohio, born in 1826, came to Missouri in 1850, and died in Cass County in 1875, and the latter a native of Kentucky, born in 1824, and died in 1875 in Cass County, just over the county line. Their remains are both interred in Page Cemetery, Bogard township. Mrs. Dosha (Page) Quick was born in Kentucky, a daughter of Rev. Joshua Page, a Christian preacher who settled in Missouri near Independence in 1830, and made a permanent settlement in northwest Bogard township in 1837. To Cornelius and Dosha (Page) Quick were born the following children: Harriet, married John Little, the subject of this sketch; Maurice, resides at Quick City, Johnson County, and that town was named in his honor; Mrs. Paulina McComb, mother of Lieutenant Dana McComb, who is now serving in the United States Army in the Philippine Islands; Howard, who is a veteran of the Boer War in the British Army, now lives in South Africa; Sally, died at the age of twenty-two years; Mrs. Clara Single, deceased; Mrs. Alice Wallace has a son Roscoe D. Wallace, who is a sergeant in the United States Army now in France. The Little family is well represented in the World War. In addition to those above mentioned, Mr. Little has two nephews in the service, Captain E. R. Hawkins and Jay Unger. To John and Harriet (Quick) Little have been born the following children: Cornelius, died at the age of two years; Stella Daisy, married Alexander Sloan and lives in Henry County; Elizabeth Lillian, married George B. Ruckel, Creighton, Missouri; Clara Belva, married Clarence H. Ruckel, Creighton, Missouri, and she has three daughters, Clara, Harriet and Mary Louise; Louise Harriet and Leora J. twins, the former living at home with her parents and the latter now the wife of Harry M. Evans. Mr. and Mrs. Little are truly representative pioneers of Henry County. They have lived on their present place in Bogard township for over forty-five years and many memories of their lives cluster about this pioneer place. Mr. Little was a pioneer school teacher of Henry County and has always given his unlimited support to the advancement of education. All of his children have been given the advantages of a good education and all are graduates of the State Normal School at Warrensburg, Missouri, and all of his children have taught in the public schools except Louise, who is a music teacher. The Littles are among the prominent pioneer families of Henry County. Mr. Little has been a life-long Republican. Mr. and Mrs. Little are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Little has been active in Republican politics during past years and has been the candidate of his party for the office of county judge and also for the office of State representative, each time running far ahead of his ticket.
LITTLEJOHN, Thomas B.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 693
Thomas B. Littlejohn, farmer and stock raiser, section 21, was born in the city of Brooklyn, New York, May 19, 1859. His father, Duncan Littlejohn, was a native of England, and for many years was a leading merchant and importer of Brooklyn. His mother's maiden name was Robina Woodford, also a native of New York. Thomas was the youngest of a family of five children, three sons and two daughters. He received his education in the schools of his native city, and when only sixteen years old became employed as a clerk in a large drug house in New York City. He held that responsible position for about two years. In 1877 he turned his face towards the West, and, becoming pleased with the appearance of the fertile prairies of Henry County, cast his lot with her people and engaged in agricultural pursuits. His farm, containing 320 acres, is well improved. Mr. L. is a large raiser and feeder of cattle. October 3, 1881, he was married to Miss Sarah Richardson, a most estimable lady and a daughter of D. C. Richardson. She was born in Cass County, Indiana, April 24, 1863. They have one child, Robina, born October 5, 1882. Mr. Littlejohn is a leading member of the Baptist Church.
LIVINGSTON, William John Sr.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 584
William John Livingston of the firm of W. J. Livingston & Sons, merchants, was born in County Down, Ireland, in 1824, and was a son of Rev. Samuel and Eliza (Dalzell) Livingston, both of Ireland. The former was born in Port Ferry and belonged to the Presbyterian Church. William J. came to this country in 1847 and settled in Versailles, Morgan County, Missouri, and with his brother, Jonas, remained there until the gold excitement in California in 1849, when in April of that year they left for that region. They devoted their time in the mines till 1851 and were successful in finding valuable diggings, and found some remarkable specimens, one solid chunk of almost pure gold weighing fifty-nine and half ounces and worth $1,175, and another square block weighing one pound. Upon returning he started a store in Pleasant Mount, Miller County, Missouri, and after nine years there sold out. In 1867 he came to Windsor and opened a store, it being among the first in town. He has two sons, who were brought up to learn this business, and they are now competent business men and are partners in the store. They carry a large general stock of goods and are doing a remunerative business. Mr. Livingston, in connection with M. L. Stafford, deals extensively in grain. He married in 1855 Miss Sarah E. Burress, daughter of Andrew Burress, of Pleasant Mount, Missouri. They have by this union five children living: Frederick Chandler, James, Annie, Willie J. and Lida. Dr. Samuel D., their oldest son, died October 5, 1881. He graduated when twenty years old and was a fine scholar and a general favorite with all. He settled in Windsor in the practice of his profession, and had built a good reputation and was doing well. Mr. L. in politics is a Democrat. He is a member of the Christian Church and belongs to the Masons.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 779
David Logan, a native of Henry County, Missouri, was born August 4, 1846, and is a son of David Logan and a brother of William Logan. David was born and reared on the farm which he now occupies. He received a fair education at the common schools, and was married in the county November 2, 1859, to Miss Martha A. Gordon, also of this county, and a daughter of Patterson Gordon, an early settler here. Mr. and Mrs. Logan have six children: Patterson D., John H., Arthur E., Clay T., Hugh G., Lelia V. He owns 200 acres of land, of which 140 are under fence and in a good state of cultivation. Mrs. Logan is a member of the Christian Church.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 778
William Logan, farmer and stock raiser, section 36, also a pioneer of Henry County, was born in Lincoln County, Kentucky, April 22, 1825. His parents, David and Nancy Logan, nee Parks, were natives of Kentucky. In 1826, the family moved to Missouri, and first located in Cooper County, where they resided about seven years, coming thence to Henry County In 1835, and being among the early settlers of the vicinity. They entered land on Grand River and improved a farm in what is now Leesville Township. William Logan grew to manhood here and was married in the county in December 1846, to Miss Nancy Parks, a daughter of Reuben Parks, of this county. After his marriage, Mr. Logan settled on the farm where he now resides, buying raw land and improving it. He has 280 acres, with about 160 under fence and improved. Mr. and Mrs. L. have nine children: Franklin, Eliza J. (wife of Henry Pigg), Mary (wife of J. R. Parks), David R., William P., George V., Mattie P., Annie T., and John Alexander.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 723
Nicholas Long was born in Warren County, Tennessee, April 1, 1818, and was the son of William and Ruthie (Grimes) Long, the former of Virginia, and the latter of Irish descent. They came to Missouri in 1834, and in the following year settled in Miller County where they lived until 1851, when Nicholas removed to Henry County, locating upon a tract of 200 acres in White Oak Township. He began to enter land and entered in all about 2,300 acres. In 1857 he came upon his present farm. He was married in Miller County, March 26, 1843, to Miss Elizabeth Armstrong, who was born in Tennessee, April 5, 1823. They have reared a family of twelve children of whom the two eldest, Mary and Sarah, and the youngest, Benjamin F., have died; Mary when seventeen years old, Sarah when twenty-one, and Benjamin F. at the age of twelve years. All of the others are married and living near their parents. They are John J. (whose wife was Minerva A. Carter), James M. (who married Martha Engles), George W., (the husband of Mary E. Elliot), Henry P. (whose companion was Cordelia Koontz), William and Nicholas C., the youngest, (who married Mattie Toalson.) The girls are Margaret Ann (wife of George Bailey), Julian Ann, (wife of Tim Hart), and Elizabeth (who married John Hill). William, the seventh in the family, was born in Henry County, January 16, 1856. He was employed on his father's farm until nineteen years old when his father gave him eighty acres of land and he began farming on his own account. On February 18, 1878, he married Miss Mary C. Dixson, daughter of Alfred Dixson. They have had four children: Annie E., Alonzo, Minnie, who died aged seven months, and Florence Eda. Mr. Long and wife are members of the M. E. Church, and he is a Republican in his political views.
LONG, William E.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 666
William E. Long, a substantial farmer and stockman of White Oak township, is a native son of Henry County and a descendant of a pioneer family of Missouri. Mr. Long was born in Walker township February 17, 1871, a son of John and Louisa (Burgess) Long, both natives of Missouri, the former of Miller County and the latter of Pulaski. John Long was a captain in the Home Guards in Miller County during the Civil War. He organized a company after his two brothers, George and William, were killed by bushwhackers. Shortly after the Civil War he came to Henry County and bought land in Walker township for which he paid one dollar and twenty-five cents per acre. He was a successful farmer and stockman, and at the time of his death was a large land owner. He died in 1914, his wife having preceded him in death a number of years. She died in 1902 and their remains were buried in White Oak Cemetery. John and Louisa (Burgess) Long were the parents of the following children: George, who died in 1912; Mrs. Mollie Dunlap, Montrose, Missouri; William E., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Rosa B. Harrison, Walker township, and Herman B., who resides on the home place. William E. Long was reared on a farm and received his education in Camp Branch district school in Walker township. He started out in life for himself, farming rented land, when he was eighteen years of age. He moved onto his present farm which he rented at the time of his father's death. It contains 160 acres of well improved, productive land four miles southwest of Urich, which was formerly known as the James Roe McDaniel farm. The place is well improved with a good eight room farm residence and commodious and convenient barns and other buildings. Mr. Long is extensively engaged in the stock business as well as general farming. On January 28, 1894, Mr. Long was united in marriage with Miss Martha A. Harness of White Oak township. She is a daughter of William and Mary A. (Mullen) Harness, both now deceased. The father was born in St. Charles, Missouri, and died in 1912, and the mother was a native of Kentucky and died in 1896. They came to Henry County in 1858. William and Mary A. Harness were the parents of the following children: William A., La Due, Missouri; A. L., Kansas City, Missouri; Joseph, Montrose, Missouri; Sterling, Altona, Missouri; H. M., Walker township; Mrs. Mary Hackney, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Sarah Wirt, Preston, Kansas, and Frances Jennings, Maxwell, Kansas. To Mr. and Mrs. Long have been born four children, as follow: Mrs. Inez Graef, White Oak township; James Edward; Chester Lee, and Ermel Hadley, residing at home.
LOUDERMILK, Arthur Clinton "Cap"
Fields Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 754
Arthur Clinton Loudermilk, a well-known stockman and farmer of Fields Creek township, is one of Henry County's leading citizens. He is a descendant of pioneer parents and was born on the place where he now resides, October 12, 1877, a son of Wesley and Minerva (Organ) Loudermilk, the former a native of North Carolina, born September 25, 1838, and the latter of Illinois, born March 20, 1848. Wesley Loudermilk died August 7, 1908, and his remains are buried in Englewood Cemetery, Clinton, Missouri. His widow now resides with her son Arthur Clinton, the subject of this sketch. Wesley Loudermilk and Minerva Organ were married at Verdun, Illinois, and came to Henry County, Missouri, in 1867. They purchased a farm in Deer Creek township, which they sold two years later and bought where Arthur Clinton Loudermilk now lives. The father was engaged in farming and stock raising here until the time of his death in 1902. To Wesley and Minerva Loudermilk were born the following children: Alice, married Charles Bowles, Beaumont, Texas; Ira, married W. E. Gibson, Bozeman, Montana; Gabriella, married B. J. Hunt, Clinton, Missouri; Arthur Clinton, the subject of this sketch; and Maud, married L. C. Bridges, Bozeman, Montana. Arthur Clinton Loudermilk was reared on his father's farm and received his education in the district schools of Henry County. Since boyhood, Mr. Loudermilk has been engaged in farming and stock raising, and is one of the practical farmers and stockmen of Henry County. He owns and operates a well-kept and attractive farm of two hundred thirty-five acres in Fields Creek township, which is located about two miles north of the public square. The place is well improved and the farm buildings are in excellent condition, which bespeaks the painstaking and careful management of Mr. Loudermilk. He is a practical farmer and stockman and well posted in the various intricacies of what is recognized as America's leading industry of today - agriculture. It has been well said that "Food will win the war," and Mr. Loudermilk is one of the food producers to whom this great country has turned in its hour of need and peril. Arthur C. Loudermilk was united in marriage in 1910 to Miss Mabel Padfield, daughter of J. H. and Amanda Padfield of Clinton, Missouri. To this union have been born three children, as follow: Bertha, married John Biggs, Clinton, Missouri; Mrs. Carrie Todfield, Colorado Springs, Colorado; Mabel, wife of Arthur Clinton Loudermilk, the subject of this sketch. Mr. Loudermilk is one of the substantial men of Henry County. His doctrine has been that a "rolling stone gathers no moss," and in accordance with that precept he has cast his lot with Henry County and stuck to his original plans and today he is regarded as one of the successful men of this county.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 683
Wesley Loudermilk, farmer and stock raiser, section 26, owes his nativity to Caldwell County, North Carolina, where he was born September 27, 1838, being a son of Jacob and Sarah (Bently) Loudermilk, who came originally from the same county. They are now residents of Sangamon County, Illinois. Wesley began life for himself as a farmer. In 1851 he went to Iowa, and in 1852 removed to Livingston County, Missouri, going thence in 1854 to Sangamon County, Illinois. In 1867 he first came to Henry County, Missouri, and settled in Deer Creek Township, where he farmed until December 2, 1868, then purchasing his present farm. This contains 130 acres of well improved land, situated one and one-half miles south of Clinton. His buildings are excellent, his residence being one of the best in the township. Mr. L. was married in Sangamon County, February 12, 1863, to Miss Minnie Organ, who was born in that county March 20, 1846. Her parents were George and Mary (Foster) Organ, Kentuckians by birth. The former is still living. Mr. and Mrs. Loudermilk have a family of five children: Alice, Iva, Ella, Arthur, and Maude. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, belonging to Tebo Lodge No. 68.
LOYD, Stephen Jett
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 761
Stephen J. Loyd, farmer and stock feeder, section 11, was born in Washington County, Virginia, near Abingdon, February 17, 1839. His father, Thomas Loyd, was born in Russell County, Virginia, August 10, 1811, but grew to manhood in Washington County, where he married Fanny Ellington, also of Russell County. The family moved to Illinois in 1850 and located in Coles County, where they resided about fifteen years. In the fall of 1865 they came to Henry County, Missouri, and bought the farm where they now reside. Thomas Loyd lost his wife, who died while on a visit to Illinois in 1869, leaving two children, William C. and Stephen. The subject of this sketch was reared in Coles County on a farm, and by attending the common schools he received a fair education. He was married in that county in January, 1857, to Miss Sarah E. Hendricks, a daughter of Eureka Hendricks. She died in Illinois in 1859. He was again married in July, 1863, to Miss Nancy Ellington, and she also died, in Henry County, in 1866, leaving one child, William H. Mr. Loyd was married to his present wife, Mrs. Sarah Ellington, July 17, 1873. She was a daughter of Jacob Pifer and is a native of Coles County, Illinois. Mrs. Loyd has three children by her former marriage: Sarah (now Mrs. John A. Wolf), Ida (wife of O. M. Potts), and George Ellington. By the last marriage there are four children: Stephen D., Wesley E. Martha A. and Claud. Mr. L. and his father have 380 acres of land, with 220 under fence, upon which are fair buildings and other improvements. He is a man of good business qualifications, and has filled numerous local offices in his township. He is a member of the Masonic order. He belongs to the Christian Church and his wife is connected with the Missionary Baptists.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 671
Calvin Luallen, of the firm of Luallen & Tally, well known automobile dealers of Clinton, Missouri, is a native of Laclede County, Missouri. He was born in 1869, a son of Alex and Mary (Bilderbeck) Luallen, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Ohio, both now deceased. The mother died in 1869 and the father departed this life in 1915. Calvin was the only child born to his father's first marriage. By a second marriage of Alex Luallen the following children were born: Henry P., Laclede County, Missouri; Foster and Homer, deceased, and Elmer, who lives in Kansas City, Missouri; and Lucy, now the wife of Garrett Scheer, Deepwater, Missouri. Calvin Luallen was reared in Laclede County and educated in the public schools. He followed farming and stock raising and also bought and sold stock there until 1893, when he came to Henry County, locating near Mt. Zion. In 1913 he bought 170 acres three miles southeast of Clinton, and also owns 300 acres near Mt. Zion. Both places are well improved and are two of the valuable farms of Henry County. In 1916 Mr. Luallen engaged in the automobile business in Clinton in partnership with Mr. Tally. They specialize in handling the Buick car and also operate an automobile repair shop in connection with their sales garage. Mr. Luallen was married in 1898 to Miss Emma Marsh of Mt. Zion, Henry County, a daughter of Henry and Elizabeth (Sutmiller) Marsh, both of whom are now deceased. The Marsh family were early settlers in the vicinity of Mt. Zion. Mrs. Luallen was one of the following children born to her parents: Henry, Kansas City, Missouri;. John, Bushyhead, Oklahoma; Mary, the wife of Garrett Scheer, Mt. Zion, Missouri; Mrs. Caroline Hillegas, Twin Falls, Oklahoma, who is now deceased; and Emma, the wife of Calvin Luallen. To Mr. and Mrs. Luallen have been born three children: Fay, now a student at William Woods College, Fulton, Missouri; Clifford, and Dorris, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Luallen reside on the home farm near Clinton. He holds membership in the Masonic Lodge and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He is one of the progressive and substantial business men of Henry County.