McBETH, Robert C. Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 350
Robert C. McBeth. The subject of this sketch, who has a state reputation in legal requirements, was born in Harrison County, Ohio, October 4, 1838. Here he was raised until his twenty-first year, having received a fair education, when he entered the law office of at that time, a prominent lawyer, G. W. McIlvaine, who, at this writing is one of the judges of the supreme court of Ohio. Judge McBeth, on the completion of his studies, was admitted to the bar at New Philadelphia, where he at once engaged in a successful practice, which he continued for some time, being prosecuting attorney of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, four years. At the end of that time, or at the close of the war, the western fever struck him and he came to Missouri, stopping a short time in Warsaw, Benton County, but finally settling in Clinton in the year 1866. He has held a prominent position at the Henry County bar for years, was for one term judge of the common pleas court, which had concurrent civil jurisdiction with the circuit court, but declining further service has since given his attention to the law. He has secured a very lucrative practice and is at this time at the height of his legal powers, a good speaker and an adept in legal technicalities. Judge McBeth is something of a politician, prominent in the council of the Republican party of his county and state, and has secured to himself a handsome competency.
McCALMON, William S.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 745
William S. McCalmon, a leading citizen of Bogard township, is a native of Ohio. He was born in Wayne County, February 26, 1865, a son of James C. and Mary E. (Schultz) McCalmon. The father was born near Akron, Ohio, and the mother was a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The mother died in 1902, and the father lives in Bogard township on the old homestead, where he settled in 1873. He was born September 4, 1831. James C., and Mary E. (Schultz) McCalmon were the parents of the following children; William S., the subject of this sketch; Rebecca, married A. J. Crawford and lives at Colfax, Iowa; Nellie, died in infancy. William S. McCalmon came to Henry County with his parents in 1873, when he was about eight years of age. They settled in Bogard township, and here young McCalmon was reared and educated. He received a good common school education and has always been devoted to farming and stock raising. He remained on the home farm until he was twenty-eight years old, when he engaged in farming for himself. He now owns and operates a well improved and productive farm of one hundred twenty acres, which is situated three miles west of Blairstown. Mr. McCalmon has placed all the improvements on this place within the last fifteen years and it is one of the neat and well appearing farms of Bogard township. He is engaged in general farming and is one of the successful and progressive stock raisers of Henry County. He is a carpenter by trade, although he has never followed that line of work extensively with the exception of doing mechanical work of that character for himself. On October 12, 1892, William S. McCalmon and Hattie Tharp were united in marriage. She is a daughter of H. T. and Florina (Haynes) Tharp, natives of Tipton, Indiana. The mother was born in 1852 and died in Johnson County in 1892, and her remains are interred in the cemetery at Quick City, Missouri. The father now lives in Florida. To H. T. and Florina (Haynes) Tharp were born the following children: Mrs. Cora Pitts, Lamed, Oklahoma; William, Los Angeles, California; Hattie, wife of William S. McCalmon; Mrs. Lillie Hendricks; Freewater, Oregon; Jack, Phoenix, Arizona; Mrs. Effie Wolfe, Spokane, Washington, and Mrs. Leona Peacock, Coconut Grove, Florida. By a former marriage of Mrs. Tharp to W. H. Keen, one daughter was born, Gracie Belle, who married D. T. Hisey, Altona, Kansas. To William S. and Hattie (Tharp) McCalmon, were born the following children: Charles Albert, Raymond H., Helen Willis. Charles Albert, who was a teacher, is now a private in the National Army and at this writing (August 7, 1918) he is stationed at Camp Dodge. Raymond H. married Eula Streight May 22, 1918, and is a farmer in Bogard township. Mr. McCalmon is a progressive and substantial citizen and the McCalmons are one of the representative families of Henry County.
McCANN, Elmer O.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 785
Elmer O. McCann - A man's life work is the measure of his success, and he is truly successful who has made the most of his opportunities and accomplishes the object of his endeavor. E. O. McCann is among the leaders of agricultural success in Henry County. He lives on the Clinton-Warrensburg road eleven miles north of Clinton, which is one of the finest highways in the county, made so because of the individual efforts of the men in Shawnee township. Mr. McCann's home is one to be noted in the neighborhood for its beauty. Its owner is one of the leading cattle feeders of Henry County. He owns three hundred twenty acres of land in Shawnee township, one hundred forty acres northwest of his home place, and five hundred sixty acres in Prairie township, Bates County. Elmer O. McCann was born January 28, 1864, near Decatur, Illinois, the son of John Harvey and Eliza (McKee) McCann. John H. McCann is living on his farm in Shawnee township which he purchased in 1867. He was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, November 4, 1835, the son of Samuel and Caroline (Irvin) McCann, the former a native of Ireland and his father, John McCann, was a native of Scotland and settled in North Ireland. The latter, Caroline McCann, was born in New Jersey of Scotch ancestry. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel McCann established their home in Ohio when it was still overrun with the Indians. They had thirteen children. John Harvey was the second born to them. They died in Ohio. John Harvey McCann received his education and early training in the rude log cabin school house, where the rod was more in evidence than the books. He received an education beyond the ordinary opportunities of his day and went to Illinois in 1857, where he taught school until 1867, when he came with his family to Henry County and purchased his land from Mr. Kimsey, who had entered the land in 1844. Mr. McCann paid $9.66 an acre for his land and is still making his home upon the soil which sheltered him upon his arrival in Henry County, so many years ago. He was married on September 27, 1857, to Eliza McKee, of Cadiz, Ohio. She died December 2, 1879, leaving four children, as follow: W. Edgar Allen, born in Macon County, Illinois, now lives in Routt County, Colorado; Elmer O., of this sketch; C. R., born in Pettis County, Missouri, a druggist at Eldorado Springs, and Mrs. A. C. Bradford, Mountain View, Missouri. Mr. McCann's second marriage was with Sarah Galloway, who is now deceased, and also an infant daughter born to them. John McCann was judge of the County Court for two terms in Henry County. Elmer O. McCann, since his infancy, has lived on Henry County soil and has made a life business of raising and feeding cattle and hogs. December 30, 1897, E. O. McCann and Mattie Culley were united in marriage, and they have two sons: Stanford C., born May 30, 1899, a graduate of Clinton High School and the Warrensburg Normal School, and is at home with his parents, and Elmer O., Jr., born October 8, 1903. Mrs. Mattie (Culley) McCann was born in Johnson County, the daughter of W. R. and Louisa Caroline (Perry) Culley. Mrs. Culley is a cousin of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, of the battle of Lake Erie fame. W. R. Culley was born in Howard County, Missouri, in 1824 and died in 1899. His wife was born in Tennessee and died in 1891. They had five children, as follow: Mrs. Lizzie Hinston, born 1858, living in Shawnee township, Henry County; Silas Perry, deceased; Mrs. Jennie C. Ridley, whose husband is a rural mail carrier at Chilhowee, Missouri; Mattie McCann, and Oliver, in the service of the United States at Chicago. Mr. McCann is a Democrat. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America of Shawnee Mound, Missouri. He is indeed one of the men who have made the name of Henry County, Missouri, stand for agricultural prosperity because of his individual, painstaking efforts in his line of work.
McCANN, John Harvey
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 669
J. Harvey McCann, farmer and stock raiser, section 4, a native of Muskingum County, Ohio, was born November 4, 1835, and is a son of Samuel and Caroline (Irvin) McCann, the former a native of Pennsylvania and son of James McCann, who came originally from Ireland. His father, John McCann, was born in Scotland. Caroline McCann was a native of New Jersey, and of Scotch ancestry. Young McCann was the second of a family of thirteen children. He grew to manhood in Ohio, and was there educated, and in 1857 he went to Watson, Illinois, where he was employed as an educator for five years. After this time he followed farming till 1867, when he moved to Henry County. Missouri, where he now has a farm of 127 acres. Since 1868 he has held the office of justice of the peace, and has ever taken great interest in educational matters. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. September 27, 1859, Mr. McCann was married to Miss Eliza McKee, of Ohio. She died December 3, 1879, leaving four children, Edgar, Elmer, Clarence and Clara. He was again married January 26, 1881, to Miss Sallie Callaway, a native of Tennessee.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 648
Max McCann, druggist, was born in Zanesville, Ohio, March 14, 1846, his father being Samuel McCann, a native of Pennsylvania. In 1816 he removed to Ohio, and married Miss Caroline Irvin, originally from New Jersey. They had a family of twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the sixth child. He was reared and educated in Ohio, and at the age of seventeen years began school teaching there, which he followed for fifteen years. In 1867 he removed to Henry County, Missouri, and settled at Shawnee Mound. He taught school in different parts of the county until 1881, when he engaged in the drug business at Calhoun, which he has since successfully continued. In September, 1878, Mr. McCann was appointed county school commissioner, and held the office until the spring following. He is a member of Calhoun Lodge, No. 184, A. F. & A. M. November 5, 1877, he was married to Miss Bettie Givens, a native of Henry County. They have one child, Allen. Mr. and Mrs. McCann are members of the Presbyterian Church.
McCARTY, Edward Cresap
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 683
Edward Cresap McCarty was born in Hampshire County, Virginia, July 4, 1805, and is a direct descendant of some of the leaders of old revolutionary families. His paternal grandfather was a captain in the Virginia militia and participated in the battles of Brandywine, Germantown and Trenton, and was under the command of Lafayette at the surrender of Cornwallis at Yorktown. His maternal grandfather, was also a commissioned officer in Maryland. On the death of his father in 1828 Edward, as the oldest of a family of eight children, became the head of the household, and in the following year, with his mother and the family, he removed to Missouri and located on a tract of land in Saline County, where he remained till 1846. he then sold his farm and for several years was engaged in freighting government stores, and also in the Santa Fe trade. In 1850 he ceased that business and moved to Jackson County, Missouri, where he gave his attention to farming. In 1857 he embarked in the commission and forwarding business, and soon after was elected cashier of the branch of the Mechanics' Bank of St. Louis, situated at Kansas City. This position he filled until 1863, when he resigned and, returning to Saline County, resided there till the close of the war, when he came to Henry County. He found a wife in the person of Miss Mary Brown, a daughter of judge B. B. Brown, of Virginia, and by this union there are eleven children living, Burnis C., Nora B., (now Mrs. R. McCarty) Bettie, Ruth, (now Mrs. E. Allison) Mary B., Nannie, Fannie, Charles I., James E., Edverda, Patrick H. They lost one daughter, Annie. In his political affiliations Mr. McCarty was an old line Whig, and as such was elected a member of the lower house of the general assembly of the state of Missouri, from Jackson County. In later years he has acted in the interest of the Democratic party. For almost half a century he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was appointed by the Grand Lodge to superintend the erection of the building for the Masonic College at Lexington, Missouri.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 684
Richard McCarty, farmer and stock raiser, section 15, is a native of Kentucky, and was born in Woodford County, September 14, 1827, being the son of Dennis and Ellen (Tombling) McCarty, natives of Virginia. In 1830 they came to Howard County, Missouri, and remained there until Richard was nine years old, when they removed to Boone County, which was their home for about six years. After this they spent two years in Cole County, next settling at Boonville. Young McCarty received his education in the common schools of the state, and in 1850 he went to California, where he followed mining and selling groceries for about three years. Returning to Missouri he bought cattle and in 1854 went back to California, and until 1857 was occupied in trading in cattle. He then retraced his steps to Missouri, and dealt in horses and mules at Boonville. At the commencement of the late war he raised Company B, of Parson's Regiment, and was captain of the company for one year, when he was appointed recruiting officer for Gen. Price. He was in the battles of Boonville, Wilson's Creek and Dry Wood, and was made prisoner in 1863, and was taken to Fayette, Arkansas. He surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana. After the close of the war Mr. McCarty followed farming in Texas one year, and in 1866 he again located at Boonville, where he was in the livery business until 1868. Coming to Clinton, Henry County, Missouri, he embarked in the grocery trade with Mr. Allison. After living in Clinton for about two years he resumed agricultural pursuits. His farm contains 160 acres of good land. He is a member of Tebo Lodge No. 68, A. F. & A. M. January 8, 1868, Mr. McC. married Miss Nora McCarty, a daughter of Col. E. C. McCarty. They have five children: Edward, Richard, Ruth, Burnis and Mary E.
McCOWAN, William M.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 524
William M. McCowan was born on a farm near Evansville, Indiana, in 1828, and died in Henry County, Missouri, in 1875. He was the son of James McCowan, who was a native of Kentucky, and a soldier of the War of 1812. James McCowan moved from Kentucky to Indiana and became an honored resident of the southwestern part of the State, founding a permanent home near the city of Evansville. When news of the great gold strike on Sutter's Mill Race on the slopes of the Sierras in California reached Indiana, Mr. McCowan was one of the first adventurous spirits to undertake the long and dangerous trip to the Pacific Coast in search of fortune. He remained in California until 1854, was successful in his quest of the yellow metal, and returned home. He then located near Windsor in Henry County, Missouri, and purchased a large tract of land near Calhoun, in Windsor township, which he developed into an important live stock ranch. He was owner of 600 acres of land and became widely known as a successful breeder of race horses and was also an extensive raiser and breeder of cattle for the markets. During the Civil War, Mr. McCowan was a captain of Missouri Home Guards and served until 1863. He followed agricultural pursuits until his death and was a prominent and influential citizen of Henry County during his residence here. William McCowan was twice married, his first wife being Mattie Huston, who bore him three children: Cincinnatus, a farmer in South Dakota; Major Thomas B. McCowan, a surgeon of the American Army Hospital Corps, stationed at El Paso, Texas, as district surgeon, a service in which he has been engaged for the past eighteen years; William H., Deepwater, Missouri, engaged in the furniture and undertaking business. The second marriage of William M. McCowan occurred in October, 1874, with Miss Fannie C. Page, who was born in Logan County, Kentucky, in August, 1848, the daughter of Thomas and Isabella (Catlett) Page, both natives of Virginia. Thomas Page was the son of James Page, a soldier of the Revolution. One child was born of this second marriage, Miss May McCowan. When eleven years of age, May McCowan removed with her widowed mother to Oakland, California, and there she received a high school education. She graduated from Oakland high school in 1895. Miss McCowan has studied at the Warrensburg Normal School, specializing in history. She and her mother returned to Windsor, Missouri, in 1895 and she began her successful teaching career. Miss McCowan first taught in her old home district school in 1900, this school being at that time the oldest school house in Henry County. In 1902 she was selected to teach the primary department of the Windsor public schools and in 1906 she became teacher of English and algebra in the Windsor high school. She next taught near Warrensburg, Missouri, and in 1908 became principal of the schools at Shawnee Mound, Henry county. In 1910 she returned to Windsor and taught English and mathematics in the local high school for the ensuing three years. Her next position was as teacher at Rodelia high school in 1913. Since 1913 Miss McCowan has been teacher of history in the Windsor high school. Miss McCowan is a member of the Henry County Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and takes a keen and absorbing interest in the affairs of this chapter, of which she is the local official historian. In her work as historian she has gathered and published considerable history of Windsor and vicinity and Henry County which is considered as authentic, reliable and written in an entertaining and readable vein. She is a member of the Baptist Church, and is affiliated fraternally with the Order of Eastern Star, of which order she is a past matron and is now serving as chaplain of the order.
McCOWN, Walter R.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 815
Walter R. McCown is the son of pioneer people who came to Henry County before the Civil War and labored faithfully and hard that their posterity might enjoy the privilege of the present time. Mr. McCown was born April 18, 1863, in Bethlehem township, Henry County, and now resides one and one-half miles from his birthplace. His parents, William H., and Elizabeth (Hockersmith) McCown, were born in Kentucky and Tennessee, respectively. In 1840, with a rude ox-team as conveyance, they braved the terrors of the unknown country to trade with the Indians of Burham, Texas. They employed a native Indian as interpreter and for three years plied their business of trading with the Indians. In 1843, they again wended their way eastward and this time located in Bethlehem township, Henry County, where one hundred twenty acres of land were purchased. Forty-seven acres of the land were in timber and this was felled to build the rude log cabin and enclose the farm with a rail fence. A few years of residence here, spent in hard labor, was ended by the selling of the farm and returning to Kentucky, whence a year later they returned and purchased fifty-five acres in Leesville township, where they spent their remaining days and are now laid at rest in the Bethlehem Township Cemetery. They were the parents of the following children: Burr, deceased; Mary, deceased, wife of Capt. Granville Deaurah, a Union veteran of the Civil War; Melvin, resides at Kansas City, Missouri; Mrs. Luam Edwards, San Francisco, California; Luther, Osage township; Mrs. Elizabeth Minick, Leesville township; Walter R., the subject of this sketch and W. H., twins. W. H. lives at Malvern, Iowa. Louis died in 1914, leaving a wife and three children. Walter McCown has spent his life in agricultural pursuits in this county and is now the owner of 160 acres of well tilled land. He also handles a large number of cattle, sheep and mules which he is constantly selling and buying for the markets. His early education was received in the district schools and in the early life he rented land until 1908, when he purchased 35 acres. in 1909 he purchased 80 acres and 40 acres in 1917. He has made improvements on his farm, building two good barns, and also remodeling his home. A natural spring on the farm is piped to cement tanks for the cattle and is considered one of the best springs of the numerous ones throughout the county. The first marriage of Mr. McCown to Fannie Greer was in 1886. She was laid to rest in Good Hope Cemetery in 1901. The following children came to bless this union: Edgar Earl, died at the age of five; Ora, wife of Isaac Harvey of Leesville township; Lulu, wife of Emmett Bailey, residing at Hancock, Iowa; Florence, wife of J. B. Simmonds of Deepwater, Missouri; Blanche, wife of Adolph Zobrist, Hancock, Iowa. In 1902 Mr. McCown was married to Allie Hammond and five children have been born to this union: John Shelby, Wilber, Elbert, Walter and Beulah, all at home with their parents. Mr. McCown is one of the substantial men of Henry County and well deserves to be classed as one of its progressive citizens.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 773
John McCoy, a prominent farmer and stockman of Bogard township, is a native son of Henry County and a descendant of pioneer parents of this section. Mr. McCoy was born about two miles southeast of Creighton December 29, 1855, a son of Mason Louis and Mary (Baker) McCoy. Mason Louis McCoy was born in Greenbrier County, West Virginia, February 8, 1829, and died at Urich, Missouri, April 15, 1917. He came to Missouri with his parents in 1838, and they settled in Lafayette County and in 1854 Mason Louis McCoy came to Henry County. He was a man who had a vast experience in the new and undeveloped west of the early days. For a number of years he was train boss for Russell and Major, who were extensive freighters in the early days. Mr. McCoy crossed the plains in the employ of this company many times. During the Civil War his family lived in Henry County on the old homestead and much of his time was spent in Sedalia, where he was serving as a member of the Home Guards. Mason Louis McCoy was an unusual man in many ways. He was fairly well to do and charitably inclined. Many of the early pioneers owe their success in later life to being assisted at a critical time by Mr. McCoy, whose generosity was one of his leading characteristics. He was enterprising and progressive, and took an active part in all public matters and measures which tended to build up his county and community. To Mason Louis and Mary (Baker) McCoy were born the following children: John, the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Elizabeth McClung, Urich, Missouri; William, died at Premlin, Oklahoma; Mrs. Evaline Peake, Vernon County, Missouri; Mrs. Letitia Johnson, Richards, Missouri; Robert, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Dollie Hillebrant; George, Urich, Missouri, and one who died in infancy. John McCoy, the subject of this sketch, received his education, principally, in private school which was conducted by Marcus Hendricks, who settled in the vicinity of Urich in the early days, on a place about half a mile north of town. Shortly afterwards a small frame school house was built on the McCoy place there. This was destroyed by fire and the next school building was located about one-fourth mile south of there, which was subsequently replaced by the Oak Grove school house, which is still standing. Mr. McCoy remained at home with his parents until he was about eighteen years old. His first independent venture was working as a farm laborer in Cass County, for which he received fifteen dollars a month. Shortly after this he engaged in farming on his own account and in 1884 bought ninety acres of land. He has added to this as opportunities presented themselves and is now the owner of a good farm of three hundred thirty-five acres. He is a successful general farmer and is extensively engaged in raising cattle and hogs, as well as buying and selling stock. He is a self made man and what property he has accumulated is the result of his unaided efforts. When he purchased his first land he was practically without capital and mortgaged the place for almost the entire purchase price for which he paid eleven per cent interest. At that time all farm produce was at the low water mark of prices. For instance, eggs sold for three cents per dozen. Mr. McCoy believes that a man can buy a farm today without capital, and pay for it easier and quicker than at any other time in the history of the country. John McCoy was united in marriage March 2, 1881, with Miss Mary E. Godwin, a native of Indiana, born June 29, 1860. She is a daughter of William and Mary Frances (James) Godwin. The Godwin family resided in Bogard township. The father was born February 3, 1828, and died November 13, 1882. The mother was born January 20, 1838, and died November 14, 1908. They came to Missouri in 1866 and settled in Cass County, where they resided for some time, and later the father bought a farm in Bogard township. William and Mary Frances (James) Godwin were the parents of nine children, as follow: George W., born March 18, 1854; Sarah, born February 4, 1856, married T. S. Clay, Bogard township; Annie E., born March 29, 1858, married Alves Williams, Lodi, California; Mary E., the wife of John McCoy, the subject of this sketch; James F., born February 1, 1863, now deceased; Emeline, born February 16, 1865, deceased; William S., born July 18, 1867, deceased; Amanda J., born November 29, 1870, deceased; and Samuel A., born June 8, 1872, deceased. To John McCoy and Mary E. (Godwin) McCoy have been born the following children: Alford, married Josie E. Crissman of Bogard township, now resides on the home place; Joseph R., married Pearl Williams of Cass County, and also resides on the home place; Mayme Frances, married F. G. Hale. Both she and her husband were teachers in the Centralia public schools, Centralia, Missouri. Mr. Hale is now a private in the National Army, in training at Camp Pike, Arkansas. Mr. and Mrs. McCoy are both members of the Christian Church of Creighton and are of Henry County's most highly respected pioneer families.
McCULLUM, William J.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 685
William J. McCullum, farmer and stock raiser, section 2. The subject of this sketch was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, October 1, 1845, his parents being Macon and Jane (Miller) McCullum, Kentuckians by birth. William J. was the fifth of a family of seven children. When he was about four years old the family started from Kentucky to Iowa. The night after taking the boat at Louisville his father was missing, and no trace of him could ever be found. The supposition was that he was drowned. His mother and family continued there journey and settled in Iowa, where they remained two years, then moving to Scotland County, Missouri. There the subject of this sketch was reared and educated, and upon arriving at manhood he engaged in farming, which he has since followed. In 1874 he came to Henry County. His farm embraces 140 acres of good land, well improved and all in cultivation. Mr. McC. has always taken a great interest in educational matters. September 8, 1872, he was married to Miss T. Patterson, a native of Iowa. They have two children, Alva and Ida May.
McDONALD, Chapman Harrod
White Oak Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 716
Chapman H. McDonald, merchant, farmer and stock dealer, was born May 13, 1833, in Frankfort, Kentucky, his parents being John McDonald, born December 2, 1805, in Culpeper County, Virginia, and Elizabeth W. (Knight) McDonald, born May 26, 1808, and also a Virginian by birth. They were married in Franklin County, Kentucky, in 1826 or 1827, and moved to the state of Illinois in 1834, in 1838, settling in Audrain County, Missouri. Here, on the 20th day of August, 1854, Mrs. McDonald died, leaving a family of eight children. In 1857 Mr. McD. came to Henry County, Missouri, and died June 29, 1880. They reared eight children, five sons and three daughters, only two of whom are now living: Chapman H. and Josiah G., the latter born September 20, 1836, at Mechanicsburg, Illinois. They emigrated with their parents about 1838 to Audrain County, Missouri, and were educated in the common schools in their locality. The elder brother subsequently attended a course of studies at the Commercial College, in Kansas City, Missouri, in 1857. He commenced life for himself in 1856, at Montevallo, Vernon County, Missouri, having chosen the mercantile channel for which he had been previously making preparation. On May day, 1879, he was married to Miss Mariah E. Benner, of Vernon County. He opened his place of business as a merchant at Montevallo, in 1856, where he continued until 1863, then closing his store on account of the war. After the cessation of hostilities he resumed his business, settling in Henry County, Missouri, at Lucas Post office, in White Oak Township, where he has since remained, doing business at present with his younger brother, Josiah G. Their interests in the main are one, both in merchandising, farming, and as general raisers of stock. Mr. C. H. McDonald is postmaster here, succeeding his father. He owns ninety acres (aside from the business interests) in or near his place of business. He has five children : William, Ida, Betsy, Olive and Parel. Politically he is a Democrat and religiously a Christian. (NOTE: His marriage was in 1859, not 1879. His bride was Maria E., not Mariah E., Benner. Chapman H. and Maria E. McDonald are together as a family in the 1860 census of Vernon Co MO and in the 1870 census of Henry Co MO, with several children. - Douglas W. Burke, firstname.lastname@example.org)
McDONALD, Josiah Greene
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 336
Photos: Josiah Greene McDonald
Josiah G. McDonald, a Civil War veteran and an early pioneer of Henry County, is a native of Illinois. He was born in Sangamon County September 26, 1836, a son of John and Elizabeth (Knight) McDonald, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Culpeper County, Virginia. John McDonald came to Missouri from Illinois with his family in 1841, driving the entire distance with an ox team and wagon. Upon coming to this State he first settled in Audrain County and came to Henry County prior to the Civil War. He settled at the town of Lucas, which was then quite a commercial center, for pioneer days, and here he engaged in the mercantile business. He also owned land in that vicinity. He died about 1883. His wife died in Audrain County before the family came to Henry County. They were the parents of the following children: Joseph and John, who are deceased; Josiah G., the subject of this sketch; Chapman, deceased; Frank, deceased; Mrs. Mattie Hargraves; Mrs. Ellen Ridgeway and Mrs. Mollie Carter, the last three named being also deceased. Josiah G. McDonald spent his boyhood days amid the pioneer surroundings of Audrain County and attended school in a primitive log school house of the early days. He was engaged in farming in Clinton when the Civil War broke out. He then joined the Confederate Army and served about three years. During his military career he served, principally, in Missouri and Arkansas. He participated in the battles of Springfield, Wilson's Creek, Prairie Grove and numerous other engagements and skirmishes. At the close of the war he and his brother, Chapman, engaged in the general mercantile business at Lucas, which they conducted for a number of years in partnership, when the brother died and Josiah G. continued until 1897. Mr. McDonald was united in marriage January 15 1865, to Miss Mary M. Snedigar, a daughter of Robert and Malinda Jane (Clinkscale) Orear Snedigar, early Missouri pioneers. The father was a Confederate soldier and died at Springfield, Missouri, in 1862, and the mother died at Lucas, Missouri, January 18 1910, at the advanced age of ninety-one years and two months. Mrs. McDonald was born April 2, 1840, in Rawls County, Missouri, and was one of the following children born to her parents: Mrs. Martha J. Mason, deceased; Mary M., wife of Josiah G. McDonald; Mrs. Sarah Katherine Lee, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Josiah G. McDonald were born seven children as follow: Dora, who resides at home with her parents; Robert E., Urich, Missouri; Catherine, married D. Gates, Craig, Colorado; Josiah, Urich, Missouri; George W., Urich, Missouri; Mary Florence, married James Marksbarry, Blairstown, Missouri; Viola, married Estelle Pelley, Craig, Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. McDonald are truly entitled to be classed among the foremost pioneers of Henry County. They have lived on their present place for forty-five years. When the McDonald family settled in Henry County deer, wild turkey and other game of the unsettled frontier were in abundance. Clinton was a mere village and the few settlers that lived in the section of the country where the McDonalds located have long since passed to their reward. The McDonald family have in their possession a number of interesting relics of pioneer days, among which are a Seth Thomas clock which is over seventy years old and still measures time as accurately as it did during the Civil War. They also have a cherry dresser which has been in the family for four generations. The McDonald family are among the respected pioneer families of Henry County.
McFARLAND, Albert W.
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 707
Albert W. McFarland, a prominent farmer and stockman of Big Creek township, is a member of one of the pioneer families of Henry County, whose residence in Missouri dates back to territorial date. Albert W. McFarland was born in Henry County, six miles southeast of where Blairstown now stands February 4, 1878. He is a son of William J. and Mary E. (Mitchell) McFarland. William J. McFarland was born in Moniteau County, Missouri, September 26, 1834, and died December 21, 1893. His wife, Mary E. (Mitchell) McFarland, was born in Cooper County, Missouri, December 25, 1843, and died May 12, 1913. William J. McFarland was a soldier in the Confederate army, serving under Gen. Sterling Price. He came to Henry County in the fall of 1867 and settled in Big Creek township, where he first purchased 160 acres of land and became one of the successful farmers of Henry County. At the time of his death he was the owner of about 600 acres. William J. McFarland was a son of Jesse McFarland, who came to Missouri in 1809, and was here during the time of the disastrous earthquake in 1811. Jesse McFarland was a son of Jacob McFarland, who was a member of the first territorial legislature of Missouri. He died in Moniteau County. Jesse McFarland was the first sheriff of Cooper County, Missouri. He also was the first Government surveyor of what later became Rives County, receiving his appointment in 1821, when he was twenty-one years of age. He died at Pleasant Hill, Missouri. Albert W. McFarland received his education in the public schools of Henry County and the State Normal School at Warrensburg, Missouri. Later he attended the Gem City Business College at Quincy, Illinois, where he was graduated in the class of 1906. He then returned to Henry County, where he has since been successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising, and is recognized as one of the leading agriculturists of Henry County. His farm consists of 300 acres of valuable farm land, which is well improved. Mr. McFarland was united in marriage July 24, 1901, with Miss Hattie Woodruff, a daughter of R. B. and Rosa (Young) Woodruff, pioneers of Johnson County, Missouri. The Woodruff family came to Henry County forty-five years ago and now reside in Big Creek township. Mrs. McFarland has two brothers: John D. and Edgar, both residing at home with their parents. To Mr. and Mrs. McFarland have been born eight children, as follow: Augusta L., Inga, Courtney L., Ruth V., Mattie M., William J., Olive M. and Douglass W. Mr. McFarland takes an active interest in public affairs and is one of the progressive and capable citizens of Big Creek township. He has held local office at various times and was president of the first high school board of the consolidated district, and is a member of that board now. He is also president of the township board.
McFARLAND, William J.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 705
William J. McFarland, section 2, is a prominent farmer and stock dealer, of this township, and was born in Cooper County, Missouri, September 26, 1834. Jesse McFarland, his father, a native of North Carolina, was born April 17, 1800. He removed to Missouri with his parents in 1811, and in 1816 located in Cooper County, and was among the earliest settlers of Missouri. He grew to manhood in Cooper County and married Ann McFarland, a distant relative. The former was a farmer and mechanic and also a surveyor by occupation and when nineteen years old he assisted in the surveying of Rives County, and held several local offices in the county. He now resides at Pleasant Hill, Missouri, and celebrated his sixtieth wedding anniversary January 7, 1880. W. J. McFarland spent his youth on a farm in Cooper County and received a common school education. He was married there October 10, 1865, to Miss M. E. Mitchel, also of Cooper County, and a daughter of William J. Mitchel. They have three children: Edith L., Clarence W. and Albert W. After his marriage Mr. McFarland resided about two years in Cooper County and then removed to Henry County, buying land and improving the farm where he now resides. He has 355 acres, with 320 in good cultivation and under improvements, with an orchard of 100 choice bearing apple trees and a variety of other fruits. Mr. McFarland makes a specialty of raising and handling stock, and feeds on an average two car loads of steers and fifty hogs annually. He has some good graded stock. He and his wife are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 779
John McGinness, farmer and stock feeder, section 17, is one of the thrifty farmers of Leesville Township, and was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, January 31, 1827. His father, John McGinness, also a native of Pennsylvania, grew to manhood and was married in Greene County, to Eunice Woodruff of the same state. Our subject was reared in the county of his birth upon the home farm, he enjoying good common school advantages. In 1848 he went to Virginia and located in Ritchie County, where he purchased a farm and where he resided until 1874. He came to Missouri in the following spring, and located in Henry County. Mr. McGinness was married in Ritchie County, Virginia, October 18, 1849, to Miss Mary Ann Woods, a daughter of James Woods, and originally from Pennsylvania. They have a family of eight children: James, died in 1878, at the age of twenty-eight years; Eunice, (now the wife of Reuben Rosebaugh); Eliza (wife of J. C. Jones); Adonigah W.; Lydia; Mary E. (wife of William Black); John L. and Josiah M. In January, 1862, Mr. McG. enlisted in Company K, Third Virginia Volunteer Infantry, and served in the Union army until discharged, in the spring of 1863. He participated in the second Bull Run fight, where he was wounded in the right arm disabling him. He also was in a number of skirmishes. After his discharge he returned to his home in Ritchie County.
McINTIRE, Daniel C.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 706
D. C. McIntire, farmer and stock raiser, section 22, was born in Clark County, Kentucky, October 25, 1821, and was the son of Hugh Mclntire, a native of North Carolina, who moved with his parents at the age of seven to Clark County, Kentucky, there being brought up. Francis McIntire, his father, was a soldier in the revolutionary war, and carried during life five wounds received in that long struggle for American independence. D. C. Mclntire accompanied the family to Trimble County when seven years old and there grew to manhood. He came to Missouri in 1841, but previously had spent six years traveling through Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois. He was married in Scotland County, Missouri, September 23, 1847, to Miss Agnes F. Huston, of Boone County, Kentucky, who was reared and educated there, and a daughter of Archibald Huston. They have six children: William Seldon, Joseph M., Homer H., Martha E. (wife of W. W. Gray), Ada Lee and Daniel M. After this marriage Mr. Mclntire located in Adair County, where he entered land and made a farm, making it his home for about eleven years. In 1858 he came to Henry County, locating on Honey Creek, and built a flour, grist and saw mill, and was engaged in milling about seven years. Selling his mill property, he purchased the farm where he now resides in 1865. This place consists of 270 acres of land, with 240 acres in cultivation and pasture, and upon it is a good residence and a fine orchard of about 250 bearing trees of select fruits. Mr. and Mrs. Mclntire are members of the M. E. Church South. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity.
McINTIRE, Omer Huston
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 713
Omer H. McIntire, a farmer of Big Creek township and a descendant of a family of Missouri pioneers, was born in Adair County April 8, 1856. He is a son of Daniel and Agnes (Huston) McIntire, natives of Kentucky. Daniel McIntire was born October 25, 1821, and in 1841 when he was twenty years of age came to Missouri with his parents. He was a son of Hugh McIntire, a native of North Carolina, who came to Clark County, Kentucky, in 1828 with his family. Hugh McIntire was a son of Francis McIntire, who was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and served throughout the seven years of that conflict for American independence and during the term of his service was wounded five times. Daniel C. McIntire married Agnes F. Huston in Scotland County, Missouri, September 23, 1847. She was a daughter of Archibald Huston and a native of Boone County, Kentucky. Daniel C. and Agnes (Huston) McIntire were the parents of the following children: William Seldon, Joseph M, Omer H., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Martha E. Gray, Ada Lee and Daniel M. Daniel C. McIntire entered Government land in Adair County, Missouri, and lived there until 1858, when he came to Henry County and settled in Honey Creek. Here he built a grist and saw mill which he operated for a number of years. Later he bought a farm which he moved on in 1866. He was prominent among the early day pioneers of Henry County and influential in this section. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Methodist Church, South. He died in 1912 at the advanced age of ninety-one years. His wife departed this life in 1914 and their remains rest side by side in the Carrsville Cemetery. Omer H. McIntire was reared in the pioneer home in Henry County and received his education in what was known as the subscription school, the pioneer educational institution of Henry County. He remained on the home farm and followed farming and stock raising during the lifetime of his parents. The McIntire farm is one of the valuable and productive farms of Big Creek township, and Mr. McIntire has met with success in his chosen field of endeavor and is one of the substantial men of his community. Omer H. McIntire was united in marriage in 1901 to Miss Ida Garrison, daughter of Robert and Susie Garrison, natives of Tennessee. The mother died in 1887 and the father now lives near Huntingdale. Mrs. McIntire is one of eight children born to her parents, the others being as follows: Robert, resides in Montana; Charles, deceased; Joseph, Huntingdale, Missouri; David, deceased; Harry, at home; Mrs. George Ridge, Urich, Missouri; Mrs. Homer Inmer, Shawnee township. Mr. and Mrs. McIntire have two children: Margaret Katheryn and Robert Daniel. Omer H. McIntire is a progressive citizen and the McIntire family rank among the leading representative citizens of Henry County.
McKEAIGG, Benjamin F.
LaDue, Davis Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 364
B. F. McKeaigg, president of the Bank of La Due, and a prosperous farmer of Davis township, was born in Lawrence County, Indiana, April 30, 1868. He is the son of Robert C. (born 1833, died 1893) and Alferna (Swindler) McKeaigg. Robert C. McKeaigg was a native of Indiana and a son of Harrison McKeaigg, of Kentucky, who was an early settler of Lawrence County, Indiana. In 1884 Robert C. McKeaigg came to Henry County, Missouri, and after residing here for a short time he went to Oklahoma, where he homesteaded a tract of Government land and died in that State. Mr. and Mrs. Robert McKeaigg were parents of nine children, seven of whom survive: William H., resides in Pasadena, California; B. F., subject of this review; (twins), Jasper N. and Oscar C., of Thomas, Oklahoma; Thomas, lives at Newkirk, Oklahoma; Louis, La Due, Missouri; Mrs. Carrie Massey living near La Due. Mr. McKeaigg accompanied his parents to Henry County in 1884 and was first employed as farm hand by Mr. Hinkle. He married and resided upon the Hinkle place as tenant for a period of seven years. In 1891 he purchased forty acres near Independence school house. Three years later he sold this tract and then purchased his present farm, located in Davis township, west of La Due. This farm consists of seventy acres and is nicely improved. For the past twelve years Mr. McKeaigg has successfully farmed this tract and has splendid improvements thereon consisting of a handsome white cottage, modern in its appointments, good barns and fencing kept in excellent repair. Mr. McKeaigg was married November 24, 1893, to Mrs. Mary Reed, a widow, who was born in Illinois and is a daughter of J. B. and Caroline (Fellahauer) Sherbourne (sp: TSCHABRUN), who came to Henry County from Illinois in 1880. By a former marriage with Edward Reed, deceased, Mrs. McKeaigg has two children: Mrs. Allie Hemperley, Flagstaff, Arizona, and Harry E. Reed, of Clinton, Missouri. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. McKeaigg, Everett Ray, who died at the age of two years. The Democratic party has generally had the support and allegiance of Mr. McKeaigg, and he and Mrs. McKeaigg are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge No. 772 of La Due.
McKEAN, Lewis B.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 766
Lewis B. McKean, proprietor of the "Fairview Stock Farm" in Bogard township, is a native of Ohio. He was born in Seville, Medina County, August 12, 1866, a son of William James and Fedora (Hay) McKean. the former a native of Center County, Pennsylvania, and the latter of Seville, Ohio. The McKeans are descendants of prominent colonial ancestors, Thomas McKean, one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, being a direct ancestor of the subject of this sketch. William James McKean was a Union veteran in the Civil War, having served for two years in Company K, 88th Regiment Ohio Infantry. In 1868 he came to Missouri and settled in Bogard township, Henry County, on the farm owned by L. B. McKean, the subject of this sketch. Here he was engaged in farming and stock raising practically up to the time of his death, December 11, 1902. To William James and Fedora (Hay) McKean were born the following children: Lewis B., the subject of this sketch; George H., died July 20, 1908, in Covington, Oklahoma; W. E., a prominent real estate and oil man of Guthrie, Oklahoma, who is prominent in politics of that State, having served as register of deeds of his county for seven years and was a delegate at large to the National Republican Convention in Chicago in 1912; Myrtle F., married A. D. Davis, Wheatland, Oklahoma. The mother of these children died September 16, 1877, and on February 15, 1880, William James McKean was married to Kate W. Crissman, a daughter of Oliver and Caroline (Sisler) Crissman. The Crissman family were Pennsylvanians and came from Blair County, that State, to Henry County. Missouri, in 1869. The father died October 1, 1916, the mother having departed this life May 21, 1912. They were the parents of the following children: F. M., Clinton, Missouri; Mrs. Kate W. McKean; T. J., lives in Bogard township; Frank P., Colony, Oklahoma; Mrs. Mary McVay, Hutchinson, Kansas; Mrs. Maggie Shoemaker, La Due, Missouri; Mrs. Ida Cowden, Fields Creek township, and Mrs. Gertrude Ogan, Stevensville, Texas. To William James and Kate W. (Crissman) McKean were born two children: Ida, who resides at home in Bogard township, and Norval, who is engaged in farming in Bogard township. L. B. McKean is one of the progressive farmers and stockmen of Bogard township, and his farm, which is known as "Fairview Stock Farm," is located four and one-half miles southwest of Blairstown, and is one of Henry County's valuable farms. Here Mr. McKean is engaged in general farming and stock raising. Mr. McKean is one of the high class farmers and stockmen of the county. He is a graduate of the University of Missouri, having been a member of the class of 1892, where he ranked high in scholarship. Politically he is a Republican and has served four years as township collector and is now serving his second term. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America of Blairstown.
McKEE, James T.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 528
James T. McKee, proprietor of the Post Office Bookstore, was born in Darke County, Ohio, April 1, 1845. He was brought up in the occupation of farming, and received his education from the schools of his native county. When twenty-one years of age he became engaged in school teaching, which profession he successfully followed till 1867. Coming to Henry County, Missouri, he continued that profession for one year. In July, 1868, he was made deputy postmaster, and held this position till September, 1872. In July, 1871, while yet in the office, he established his present business, conducting it in connection with his official duties, till 1872. Since that time, however, he has given it his entire attention. He carries a complete stock of goods here, and is doing a large share of the business in his line in Clinton. In March, 1877, he established a branch store in McLeansboro, Illinois, the firm there being J. T. McKee & Co., and in March, 1882, he established another branch store at Murphysboro, Illinois, under the firm name of McKee Brothers. Mr. McKee was married April 10, 1873, to Miss Mary Ricketts, a native of Ohio. They have three children: Ralph H., Inez L., and Romney. He is a member of the K. of P., and both Mr. and Mrs. McK. hold membership in the First Presbyterian Church.
McKEE, James T.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 617
James T. McKee, now deceased, the founder of McKee's Book Store was a pioneer merchant of Clinton, and prominently identified with the interests of Henry County for many years. He established the McKee's Book Store in 1870, and conducted this business for forty years, until the time of his death. The store is still owned and conducted by his estate under the management of his daughter, Miss Inez L. McKee, who took charge of the business at the death of her father in 1909. This business which is now in the forty-eighth year of its existence, is one of the oldest mercantile establishments in Henry County, and during all this time, McKee's Book Store has never permitted its methods to grow old. The stock and store is kept up to date, and everything usually found in a first-class, well-conducted book store in any city is within reach of the customers of this store. James T. McKee was a native of Darke County, Ohio, born in 1845. He grew to manhood in his native State and received a good education. In 1867 or 1868 he came to Missouri, driving most of the way with a team and wagon, and settled at Clinton. He taught school here for a time, teaching at the old Union school district. Later he served as assistant postmaster, under Postmaster Fike. In 1870, he established McKee's Book Store, and was engaged in that business until his death as above stated. In 1873 James T. McKee and Frances Ricketts were united in marriage. She was a native of Findlay, Ohio, born in 1845. She died in 1895. To James T. and Frances (Ricketts) McKee were born the following children: Dr. Ralph H., a graduate of Clinton Academy, and Wooster College, Wooster, Ohio, University of Chicago, and is now professor of chemistry in Columbia University, New York City; Inez, L., a graduate of Wooster College, Wooster, Ohio, and was engaged in teaching until her father's death, when she took charge of the business in Clinton, and has conducted it since; Charles Romney, chemist with the United States Glue Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin; he is a graduate of Lake Forest College, Chicago, Illinois.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 761
William McKee, farmer and stock raiser, section 10, a native of Scotland, was born May 13, 1822, being the son of John and Jane (Steele) McKee, also of that country. William emigrated to the United States with an uncle in 1834, and settled in Hampden County, Massachusetts, where he passed his youthful days on a farm, receiving a common school education. When sixteen years of age he commenced learning the horse farrier business at which he worked for about ten years. Going to Michigan in 1855, he was married in New Buffalo during Christmas week of that year to Miss Martha Blair, of Hampden County, Massachusetts, and a daughter of Samuel Blair, one of the prominent men of that locality. Mrs. McKee was a lady of rare culture and attainments and was a teacher for a number of years previous to her marriage. The following spring Mr. McK. moved to Wisconsin and after living one year in Milwaukee County, in the spring of 1857 he went to Illinois and located near Joliet, where he planted a crop. He soon sold out, and upon coming to Missouri the same year, settled in Henry County, bought land and began the cultivation of the farm where he now resides. This contains 365 acres, of which 320 acres are fenced; twenty acres are devoted to tame meadow and there are about fifty-five acres of good timber, and plenty of living water for stock. His house is a large, two-story structure, and his orchard consists of 100 bearing apple trees of select varieties. Mrs. McKee died February 29, 1880, and Mr. McK. was subsequently married in this county to Miss Charlotte Fisher, a daughter of James Fisher. They have one son, Lewis B., born December 28, 1881. Mrs. McKee is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
McKINLEY, Thomas W.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 584
Thomas W. McKinley was born May 8, 1835, in Weston, Lewis County, West Virginia. He received but a common education, and in 1848 went to California, at the age of sixteen years, where he made a sojourn of ten years, accumulating quite a snug fortune. On his return to his native state, in 1859, he married Miss Margaret Nealy, of Doddridge County. There were four children by this union, two sons and two daughters, three of whom are still living. He buried his wife during the summer of 1869. Nearly two years thereafter he married Miss Anna Adams, of Parkersburg, Wood County, West Virginia, February 7, 1871. To them were born three children, two daughters and one son, all living. He emigrated from Virginia to Henry County, Missouri, in March, 1861, and bought a large tract of fine farming and pasture lands, nearly 1,000 acres in extent, in Windsor Township, his residence commanding a fine view of Windsor and the surrounding country. This was known as the Galewood farm. In 1871 he returned to Virginia, but came back here the same year, and from that time until 1880 was engaged in farming and the general raising of stock. He died August 23, 1880, having been, as was supposed, murdered in his room in Sedalia, as his dead body was found two days thereafter in one of the rooms of the Elgin House in that city. He was a member of the A. O. U. W., under whose auspices he was buried on the 26th inst. Mrs. McKinley, since her husband's death, has continued to conduct the farm. and keeps it well stocked and in a prosperous condition. She still owns 630 acres, upon which is a finely furnished and commodious brick house. She is connected with the Episcopal Church of Sedalia.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 529
William McKinney, farmer, section 13, was born in Licking County, Ohio, July 17, 1834. His father, Joseph McKinney, was born in Pennsylvania, July 6 1800, and emigrated to Licking County, Ohio, when thirteen years of age. He was there reared and there married the mother of William, then Miss Elizabeth Hopper, who was born in Virginia. She had moved to Licking County while quite young. After leading a useful and honest life, Mr. Joseph McKinney passed away July 26, 1868. His widow is still living. William grew up and was educated in his native county, spending his boyhood days in tilling the soil. At the age of nineteen he began teaching school, which occupation he continued to follow during school term for nine years. He then emigrated by team to Henry County, Missouri, settling on his present place. His landed estate consists of over 782 acres of choice land, the most of which is well fenced and improved. He is largely interested in stock dealing and feeding, and every winter feeds for market a large number of cattle. He was united in marriage September 9, 1866, with Miss Elizabeth Rhyne, a native of Ohio. They have three children: Della D., Willie E. and Bertha M. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
McLANE, William H. Col.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 529
William H. McLane, a native of Cape Girardeau County, Missouri, was born July 6 1816. His father, John McLane, was born in North Carolina, about 1773, and came to Missouri in 1810; he married Miss Lydia Lawrence, who was also born in North Carolina, in 1773. They reared eight children, of whom William was the youngest. John McLane died in 1848, his wife's death having occurred in 1844. Young McLane was brought up in the county of his birth, and when a youth, was engaged in flatboating produce down the river to New Orleans, that then being quite an industry. In 1838, he embarked in the mercantile business at Appleton, Missouri, which he continued for twenty-five years. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the Federal service in Company A, Fifty Sixth Missouri Regiment, and arose from the ranks to the position of colonel of that regiment. Toward the close of the war he was given the command of the Eighth Missouri Regiment, and was its colonel when mustered out in June, 1865. He then returned home, and in the spring of 1866, came to Clinton, Missouri, where he has since been a prominent and enterprising citizen. He is one of the largest farmers in this county, and has 1,000 acres of well improved land. His fine brick residence in the city was erected at a cost of $14,000. Mr. McLane was united in marriage in June, 1846, to Miss Eliza Moore, of Missouri. They have four children: Mary, Isabella (dead), Lydia and Kate. In 1868 Mr. McL. represented Henry County in the state legislature, and served for a term of two years with honor to himself and with credit to the county. From 1872 to 1877, he served as deputy United States marshal, resigning the position in the latter year.
McLEOD, George B.
Fields Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 685
George B. McLeod, farmer and stock raiser, section 21, was born in Morgan County, Missouri, July 4, 1847, being the son of William H. McLeod, a farmer by occupation, and Martha (Salmon) McLeod, both natives of North Carolina. George B. was the fifth of a family of seven children. He remained with his parents in Missouri until twelve years old, when he went to the state of Georgia with his grandfather, F. H. McLeod. There he continued to reside until 1866, receiving his education in the public schools and the military college at Marietta, Georgia. In 1866 he returned to Missouri and lived in Morgan County until the fall of 1867, when he came to Clinton, clerking in Salmon & Stone's Bank for ten months. Since that time he has followed farming and the raising and shipping of stock. His farm contains 160 acres, 110 acres of which are in cultivation and under improvements, and it is well adapted for a stock farm. Beneath it is a good vein of coal. Mr. McLeod was in the Georgia state service a short time during the war, and then enlisted in Company A, Battalion of Georgia Cadets. He was discharged at Augusta in May 1865. October 25, 1875, he married Miss Tabitha Fields, a daughter of N. A. Fields. She was born in Henry County, Missouri, January 4, 1853. They have two children, Catherine A. and Helen E. Mr. and Mrs. McLeod are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
McQUEEN, Andrew Davis
Honey Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 560
Photos: Andrew & Sarah McQueen
Andrew D. McQueen - Few pioneer citizens of Henry County have achieved such success as has come to Andrew D. McQueen, Union veteran, and extensive land owner of Leesville township. Nearly fifty years ago Mr. McQueen came to this section of Missouri, poor in a worldly sense, his health depleted in consequence of early hardships and the sufferings undergone through having been an inmate of the terrible Libby Prison, during the Civil War. After locating in Henry County, he soon found his health and has retained it ever since, and in time he found wealth and has lived to see the entire section of western Missouri develop and blossom into a fertile and prosperous community. He has reared one of the largest families in Henry County and has held a place of prominence and leadership in the Leesville community since he first came to this locality in 1869. He is rightly named the "Sage of Leesville." Andrew D. McQueen was born in Carroll County, Ohio, November 9, 1837, and is the son of Abel and Rebecca (Davis) McQueen, the former of whom was born in Pennsylvania, and the latter was a native of Virginia. Mr. McQueen was reared in Ohio and served for nearly two years with the Union Army during the Civil War. Mr. McQueen first enlisted in September, 1862 in Company K, 110th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, serving one year in this regiment. At the battle of Winchester he was taken prisoner and placed in Libby Prison, and later was imprisoned in Belle Isle. The sufferings he underwent while a prisoner were terrible and left their marks upon his constitution for several years afterward. He lost forty pounds in forty days. The treatment afforded him and his comrades was terrible in its brutality and so incensed did an Irish prisoner become that the Irishman swore that he would knock down the officer who had a miserable habit of cursing them and beating them without provocation, while making his rounds. The Irishman did so and knocked the officer senseless. Shortly afterwards a company of soldiers filed into the prison with loaded muskets and a demand was made for the name of the prisoner who had assaulted the officer. The prisoners refused to divulge the Irishman's name and no amount of threats could compel them, they being, as Mr. McQueen says, "fearless of death, and even ready to welcome death as a relief from their misery." As a punishment he and his immediate comrades were left without food for two days. In August of 1863 he was exchanged and returned to his command. In October, 1863, he was invalided home, and during the next spring he was married to the sweetheart of his boyhood days. The marriage had been set to take place before the outbreak of the war, but both he and his sweetheart had agreed to postpone the wedding while he served his country. After his marriage in the spring Mr. McQueen again enlisted in Company I, 157th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry for one hundred days service. While engaged in the campaign in the Shenandoah Valley Mr. McQueen was in Milroy's division, which was surrounded by a part of the Confederate Army and compelled to surrender. Soon after the close of the Civil War Mr. and Mrs. McQueen moved to western Indiana, where he purchased eighty acres of land. His experience in this section of Indiana, which was largely wooded and marsh land at that time, was not satisfactory and he found that the climate was very unhealthful. For four years he struggled against continued illness and became so thoroughly discouraged that he determined to leave the country and go west. Mr. McQueen trekked through Illinois but found Illinois people also afflicted with malaria and kindred ailments and decided to try Missouri. He traveled over the State and eventually arrived in western Missouri. The excellent health of the settlers in the eastern part of Henry County and the beauty of the surroundings in which they lived pleased him very much and he decided that he had found a permanent abiding place for him and his. He disposed of his land in Indiana and came to Leesville township in 1869. His first investment was in 200 acres of land at a cost of thirteen dollars an acre. For this land he went in debt to the extent of $1,000. He had some money but it was necessary for him to purchase a team, some live stock and tools with which to work. This expenditure ate up all of his slender capital. Along came the panic of 1873, and for four years he strove in hard lines and had all that he could do to keep the wolf from the door during the lean years. He hauled corn to Clinton, a distance of fourteen miles, for a mere pittance in order to get food with which to feed his family. After the "lean years" Mr. McQueen decided never again to go in debt and to "pay as he went." This resolution he has kept for many years and has prospered as he deserved. Mr. McQueen taught school in the neighborhood for a number of years while conducting his farming operations with hired help. Mr. McQueen has added 160 acres to his home farm, making 360 acres in this farm. During the years past he has purchased different farms aggregating 340 acres, making a total of 700 acres. His first home in Henry County was a log house of two rooms. He cut the logs, trimmed them and built the cabin himself. In the fall of 1885 he erected his present imposing frame house, which is one of the largest in the county. The upper part of this mansion contained a very large room which Mr. McQueen dedicated to the use of the neighborhood for social doings and meetings. When the residence was finished he sent out word throughout the surrounding country for the young folks of the neighborhood to come to a housewarming and social event. They came and spent an enjoyable evening. At this time he addressed them and informed them that this large room was theirs for all time and would serve as a gathering place for the young people as long as he lived and that the room was dedicated to the people of Leesville neighborhood for innocent social events and that every gathering must be kept within the bounds of propriety. For many years the young folks and even the older people availed themselves of this generosity and sociability and many enjoyable social events were held, the McQueen residence being the mecca of the folks of the surrounding country. February 18, 1864, Andrew D. McQueen and Miss Sarah E. Tope were united in marriage. To this marriage have been born children as follow: Mrs. Hettie C. Nichols, residing on a farm two miles east of the McQueen place on the county line; Abel E., owner of 330 acres of good land in Benton County, Missouri; Joseph B., a farmer in Leesville township; George F., Leesville township; Rebecca Geneva, deceased; Joshua F., Butte, Montana; John, living in Colorado, and Milton, at home (twins); Mrs. Eva O. Puckett, Leesville township; Mrs. Sarah Emeline Fite, Parsons, Kansas; Mary S., her father's housekeeper; William B., a farmer in Leesville township; Alonzo H., aged twenty-nine years, at home; one child died in infancy. The mother was born June 7, 1842, in Carroll County, Ohio, the daughter of Joseph and Hettie Tope, natives of Pennsylvania and descendants of Holland Dutch and Irish stock, respectively. Mrs. McQueen departed this life on November 28, 1910. She was a good and faithful helpmeet to her husband and cheered and comforted him in adversity and assisted him materially in achieving to a position of comfort and well being. She was a kind and wise mother to her children, fulfilling her destined mission on earth as only a true and noble woman could. Mr. McQueen has always been a Republican and served as justice of the peace of Leesville township for twenty years. Being a man of excellent education and well informed he has been one of the most useful citizens of Henry County during his long years of residence here. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. When there were many more Union veterans in the neighborhood and before their fast thinning ranks were depleted by the inroads of the "grim reaper," there existed in Leesville a flourishing Grand Army Post. This post was known as Dan McCook Post No.312 and their meeting place was in the McQueen home in the large room referred to in a preceding paragraph. Mr. McQueen assisted in organizing the Grand Army Post and gave the privileges of the room to the old veterans as long as was desired. Now the ranks of the veterans are so thinned that meetings are not held and each year only a few meet to administer the last rites to the memory of their comrades who have preceded them to the great beyond. Well past four score years. Andrew D. McQueen has so lived his life that he is serenely contented in his old age to live a peaceful and retired life, a patriarch in his own right, respected and highly regarded by all who know him.
McQUITTY, George Newton
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 742
George N. McQuitty, a progressive and enterprising farmer and stockman of Big Creek township, is a native of Henry County. Mr. McQuitty was born August 3, 1879, a son of George W., and Mildred (Johnson) McQuitty. George W. McQuitty was also a native Missourian, born September 16, 1839, in Boone County. Mildred (Johnson) McQuitty was a native of Kentucky and a daughter of Robert R. Johnson, a Kentuckian, who was a pioneer settler of Missouri. The McQuitty family ranks among the early pioneer settlers of Missouri. George W. McQuitty, the father of George N., was a son of George W. McQuitty, a native of Kentucky, who was one of the very early settlers of Boone County, Missouri. He married Elizabeth Roland, also a native of Kentucky and a daughter of William Roland. George W. McQuitty, Sr., and his wife spent the remainder of their lives on a farm in Boone County, after settling there. George W., Jr., father of George N., was reared to manhood in Boone County, and received a good common school education - much better than the average boy of his time. When the Civil War broke out he cast his lot with the legions of the lost cause, enlisting in the Confederate Army in February, 1862, in Company C, 6th Missouri Infantry. He served under Colonel Irvin and participated in many important and hard-fought engagements. He was at the Battle of Corinth and Iuka and Grand Gulf. He was taken prisoner at the last-named place, but two months later was paroled. He then returned to his home in Boone County, where he remained until the close of the war. In 1867, George W. McQuitty came to Henry County and bought a farm in Big Creek township. He was well known as a prominent stockman and farmer. To George W. and Martha Mildred (Johnson) McQuitty were born the following children: W. T., who resides on the home farm; Mrs. C. E. Butcher, Big Creek township; George N., the subject of this sketch; Alice B., Fulton, Missouri; Mrs. C. F. Crews, Big Creek township; and Mrs. L. R. Mayes, Shawnee township, Henry County. By a former marriage of George W. McQuitty to Miss Lucinda Goslin of Boone County, who died October 25, 1870, the following children were born: J. R., who resides at Welch, Oklahoma, and Elizabeth, who married J. J. Stansberry. George N. McQuitty was reared on his father's farm and received his education in the Agricola public schools. He remained on the home farm with his parents until he was twenty-five years of age, when he engaged in farming on his own account, in which he has been successfully engaged to the present time. He operates two hundred eighty acres in Big Creek township, of which he is the owner. Mr. McQuitty is well known in Johnson County as one of its leading farmers and stockmen and a public spirited citizen. In February, 1905, George N. McQuitty was united in marriage with Miss Henrietta Hanna, a daughter of Dixon and Dora Hanna, the former now deceased, and the latter resides at Greeley, Colorado. Dixon and Dora Hanna were the parents of the following children: James A., Nettie, Otis and Ida, all residing at Greeley, Colorado, and Henrietta, wife of George N. McQuitty, the subject of this sketch. To Mr. and Mrs. McQuitty have been born the following children: Ora A., Mildred O., Dora E., George W., Morris M., Anna May and Richard Everett. The McQuitty family are well known and prominent in the community and George N. McQuitty is one of the substantial citizens of Henry County.
McQUITTY, George W. Jr.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 706
George W. McQuitty, a native of Boone County, Missouri, was born September 16, 1839. His father, G. W. McQuitty, was a Kentuckian by birth, but removed to Missouri with his parents when a lad, and they were among the pioneer settlers of Boone County. He grew to manhood and was married there to Miss Elizabeth Roland, who also was of Kentucky birth, and a daughter of William Roland. After his marriage he located on a farm in Boone County, where he resided till his death, in 1870. George W. Jr., spent his youth in his native county, receiving a good common school education. He enlisted in the confederate army in February, 1862, in Company C, Sixth Missouri Infantry, under Col. Irvin, and participated in a number of engagements, among which were the second fight at Corinth, Iuka, and Grand Gulf where he was taken prisoner and paroled after two months, then returning home. He was married in Boone County, March 18, 1866, to Miss Lucinda Goslin, of the same county as himself, and a daughter of Sylvester F. Goslin, one of the pioneers of that county. The year after his marriage Mr. McQuitty came to Henry County, bought land and improved the farm where he now resides. He has 280 acres, with about 230 acres fenced and in cultivation, a large residence and a fine orchard being on the place. He has some good stock and high graded cows and one thoroughbred male animal. Mr. McQuitty lost his first wife by death October 25, 1870, she leaving two children, John R. and Elizabeth A. He was married in Henry County January 25, 1875, to Miss Martha M. Johnson, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Robert R. Johnson. There are four children by this marriage: William T., Edith B., George N. and Alice D. He is a member of the Baptist and his wife belongs to the Christian denomination.
McQUITTY, William Thomas
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 806
William T. McQuitty - The farmer of today is quite a contrast to the one of fifty years ago. His home now is equipped with all modern conveniences and in touch with all of his neighbors and the neighboring cities by the telephone and automobile. The home of William McQuitty of Big Creek township is an example of one of the modern farmer's homes where comfort and beauty are combined in its appointments. Fifty years ago when George McQuitty, sire of William McQuitty established his home upon these same rolling prairies the scene presented quite a different view. Among such surroundings was William McQuitty born November 7, 1875, to his parents, George and Martha (Johnson) McQuitty. George W. McQuitty was born September 16, 1839, in Boone County, Missouri, and was a soldier of the Civil War, serving under Gen. Sterling Price, enlisting in February, 1862, in Company C, Sixth Missouri Infantry, under Colonel Irvin. Mr. McQuitty was captured by the Northern forces and for some time was interned in Alton, Illinois, prison, at Grand Gulf. Afterwards he was paroled and returned home. In 1867 he came from Boone County, Missouri, to Henry County, and purchased the farm on which his son William now resides, and he made his home here until his death, October 20, 1914. January 25, 1875, he married Martha Johnson, a daughter of Robert R. Johnson, and a native of Kentucky. The following children were born to them: William T., the subject of this sketch; Mrs. Edith Butcher, Big Creek township; George, farming a portion of the home place, whose sketch appears in this volume; Alice of Blairstown, Missouri; Martha, wife of C. F. Crews, Big Creek township; Maude, wife of Leonard Maizze of Shawnee township. Mrs. Martha McQuitty died December 19, 1909. G. W. McQuitty and wife had three children: John, residing at Welch, Oklahoma; Elizabeth and George, twins, the former dying in infancy and the latter at 36 years of age. She married J. J. Stansberry and at her death left a daughter, Mrs. Beulah Julian. William T. McQuitty received his early education in the schools of Big Creek township. For many years he has been farming his portion of the estate and raising great numbers of hogs and cattle. His place is equipped with two large barns, one 58x72 feet with a basement for the stock and a feeder 20x80 feet. A well, 372 feet deep, supplies water in sufficient quantities the year around for his large herd of cattle. On October 2, 1901, Mr. McQuitty was united in marriage with Hattie Freeman, who died April 10, 1903. They had one son, William Howard, who is at home with his father. His second marriage took place December 26, 1905, to Lucy Hazard. This marriage has been blessed with the following children: George H., Hildredth A. and Helen, twins; Sarah Margaret, James T., and David W., all of whom are at home attending the public schools. Mrs. Lucy McQuitty was born April 3, 1883, near Campbellsville, Kentucky, the daughter of William M. and Sarah Catherine (Sacra) Hazard. They removed from Kentucky to Henry County in 1884, and for some time farmed near Clinton, but are now located at Vernon, Texas. They are the parents of the following children: Mrs. Jessie Cameron, Lewis Station, Missouri; Mrs. Lucy McQuitty, wife of wife of William McQuitty; Irene, wife of J. R. Huie, Odell, Texas; Theresa and Robert, with their parents at Vernon, Texas. William McQuitty is a member of the Agricola Lodge, Ancient Free and accepted Masons and the Modern Woodmen of America at Chilhowee, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. McQuitty are members of the Baptist church.
McREYNOLDS, William A.
Honey Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 713
William A. McReynolds was born February 1, 1833, in Butler County, Kentucky, his parents being Benj. S. McReynolds, born July 15, 1806, in Logan County, Kentucky, and Elizabeth Ann, nee Askew, who was born in July, 1809, in Campbell County, Virginia. They were married in July, 1830, in Logan County, Kentucky, and by this union had six children, four sons and two daughters, of whom our subject was the eldest son. Benjamin McReynolds remained a resident of Kentucky until his death. In youth he received only common school training, but being of studious habits became a most learned scholar. He learned the carpenter's trade and worked at it a number of years, and also took up carriage making, hiring several hands in that industry. He employed a blacksmith, and by degrees became skilled, to some extent, in that business also. He followed both occupations for several years, and finally turned his attention to the study of medicine, continuing the practice in after years, as taught by the Thompsonian schools of his day. Later in life he became a farmer, and the owner of quite a large tract of land in Kentucky, a part of which, proving rich in coal, he opened into mines, and did quite an extensive coal trade, shipping to different points both north and south. He served, during the early part of his career, as magistrate, for eighteen years or more, until (by virtue of the law of the state) he became sheriff, being the oldest official in the capacity of magistrate. This position he filled for one term. He was nominated in 1845 for the state legislature, his opponent being Lot Moore, of the same county, but was defeated on account of his scruples against being elected as a whisky candidate. He was also a candidate on the Democratic ticket for the succeeding term, but died before the election, July 3, 1847. William A. McReynolds, at the death of his father was a lad of but fourteen. At the age of nineteen he left home, determined to seek his own fortune, and commenced by working at the carpenter's bench. He learned the trade in Clarksville, Tennessee, remaining there for three years and then returned to Todd County, Kentucky, where he entered into business as a builder and contractor, continuing it for several years. He was engaged in building at Cairo during one season, where he owned considerable city property. He spent one year in Illinois. In the year 1873 he was occupied during the winter in stock feeding, in company with a brother, and also for several years thereafter. Finally he decided to make Missouri his permanent home, and accordingly in the spring of 1882 bought a tract of nearly 1,200 acres, mostly in Honey Creek, Township, Henry County, his residence being on section 18. He has the supervision of his estates in both townships, much of his land lying in White Oak. All of it is devoted to farming purposes with the exception of forty acres of timber. Mr. McR. makes his home at present with Mrs. McKinney, his sister, a widowed lady, and her sons. He was once placed in nomination as a candidate in Todd County. Tennessee, for the legislature, on the Republican ticket, but was defeated through the treachery of some of his pretended friends, who had been instrumental in securing his nomination. He is Republican in sentiment, and has been since 1861. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of Elkton, Todd County, Kentucky, having never changed his membership from that place.