PADFIELD, James H.
Deer Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 804
James H. Padfield, a successful farmer and stock raiser on section 5, owes his nativity to St. Clair County, Illinois, where he was born November 14, 1842. John Padfield, his father, was a native of Kentucky, but removed to St. Clair County, Illinois, in an early day, where he married Nancy Ann Robinson. James H. lost both his parents when a child, his father dying when the son was but four years old and his mother when he was seven years of age. His youth was spent on a farm in the summer and in attending the district school during the winter months, and he was married in the county of his birth, August 28, 1862, to Miss Amanda H. Fike, of the same county, and a daughter of Ashby and Mary Fike. They have two children: Bertha A. (wife of John Biggs), and Carrington W. Mr. Padfield came to Missouri in February, 1866, and located in Henry County, where he bought the farm where he now resides, consisting of 110 acres.
PAGE, David B.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 535
David B. Page, a member of the establishment of Page & Hopkins, proprietors of the Co-operative Store, is a native of Delaware County, Ohio, where he was born July 26, 1840. He was reared and educated in the county of his birth, spending two years as a student of Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio. When twenty years of age he went to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and from 1862 till 1867 was engaged as clerk in the wholesale willow warehouse of ROE, Enston & Co. Then he retraced his steps to Ohio and after one years residence there, removed to Marshall County, Illinois, where he remained till the winter of 1871. At this time he came to Clinton, Missouri, and was interested in coal speculation for two years. In 1873, he established the nursery business near Clinton, but in the spring of 1875 went to Joplin, Missouri, and for two years was occupied there in milling and speculating in mining property. Returning to Clinton he accepted a clerkship with the Frowein Bros. till they sold out to Snyder & Boyse. He was then retained by the new firm, with whom he remained till September 1882, then he and Mr. Hopkins embarked in their present business. Mr. Page was married May 30, 1866, to Miss May Marton, of Ohio. They have five children Bessie M., Ariedue, Herbert M., Christina and Ralph E. They are members of the M. E. Church.
PAGE, James L.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 671
James L. Page, farmer and stock raiser, section 26, was born in Logan County, Kentucky, April 18, 1835, being the son of Lemuel J. and Susan (Thomas) Page, natives of Virginia. His youth was divided between working on a farm and attending the common schools of Kentucky. In 1855 he came to Henry County, Missouri, where he has since been engaged in farming, except for three years during the war, when in Hancock County, Illinois. July 16, 1857, Mr. Page was married to Miss Marthy Levy, a native of Illinois. They have two children living, Laura and James L., and have lost one daughter, Susan. Mr. Page is a member of the Baptist Church.
PAGE, John Wesley
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 770
J. W. Page, a progressive and enterprising farmer and stockman of Bogard township, was born in Cedar County, Missouri, April 15, 1883, and when an infant was adopted by Franklin M. and Mary J. (Beech) Page, both of whom are now deceased. The former died May 7, 1918, in his eightieth year and the mother departed this life in 1896. Franklin M. Page was born in Moniteau County, Missouri, December 26, 1837, and when a boy came to Henry County with his parents. He grew to manhood in this county and was married here in 1859. Later he removed to Cass County, which was his home for many years. In 1904 he returned to Henry County and bought a farm of one hundred sixty-five and one-half acres five miles northwest of Urich, which is now the home of J. W. Page, the subject of this sketch. This place was formerly owned by Asa Hendricks, who entered this land from the Government. Franklin Page was one of the pioneers of this section and a man of high integrity and sterling worth. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Creighton, having been made a Mason at Old Wadesburg, an extinct Cass County town. This was before the town of Creighton of the railroad through that section was thought of. During the Civil War Franklin M. Page served as a member of the Home Guards. Both he and his wife were worthy pioneers of Henry and Cass Counties, and are well worthy of commendable mention in a work of this character. John Wesley Page was educated in the public schools at Creighton, Missouri, and remained with his adopted parents as long as they lived, caring for them and giving them all the attention of loved and respected parents until they passed to the great beyond. Mr. Page is one of the successful farmers and stockmen of Henry County, and has always been engaged in that line of work. He is well known as a breeder of Polled Durham cattle and spotted Poland China hogs. He is a good farmer and understands the stock business. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Creighton, Missouri, and is one of the substantial men of the community.
PAGE, Lindille McB.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 695
Lindille McB. Page, farmer and school teacher, is one of the pioneers of Henry County. He was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, April 27, 1833, and is the son of Joseph and Sallie (Wade) Page, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter a Virginian by birth. Joshua Page was a minister of the Christian Church, and also a school teacher. He preached the first sermon and taught the first school in Bayard Township, the latter being in a log school house in section 5. The subject of this sketch was the seventh of a family of twelve children. In 1835 his father settled in this county, and here his youth was spent on the farm and in attending the schools of the district, where he received a good education. He has remained in the county all the time since, except two and one-half years while in Texas, and he has continued the occupation of farming and teaching. His farm contains 200 acres of choice land, well improved. In 1858 he was elected justice of the peace, and has since held the office most of the time. He has also been a notary public for a number of years. He is a member of the Christian Church. May 27, 1856, Mr. Page was married to Miss Sarah J. Page, a native of Missouri. They have ten children living, Jennie, Royal M., John McB., William J., Florence E., Dora D., Benjamin F., Lennie H., James J. and Richard. They have lost one child, Nancy E.
PALMER, Roy K.
Windsor, Windsor Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 519
Roy K. Palmer, cashier of the Citizens Bank of Windsor, Missouri, was born in Fulton, Missouri, July 29, 1876, and is the son of William W. and Lillie M. (Knox) Palmer who were parents of ten children, nine of whom are living, Roy being the eldest of the family. Rev. William W. Palmer was born in Henry County February 22, 1848, and departed this life in January, 1916. He was the son of Drury Palmer, a native of Kentucky who came to Henry County, Missouri, in the early forties, and entered Government land in Windsor and Tebo townships, the Palmer homestead being the third oldest homestead in Henry County. During the Civil War, Drury Palmer was taken from his home and shot down in cold blood in his own orchard by "bushwhackers," on account of his sympathies with the Southern States. William W. Palmer was a well educated man, having been educated for the ministry in Westminster College, sectarian institution supported by the Presbyterian Church. He preached the gospel for several years, and also taught in the district and town schools for some years. He served two terms as superintendent of public instruction of Henry County and at the time of his death, he was manager of the Leeton Lumber Company at Leeton; Missouri. Mrs. Lillie M. (Knox) Palmer was born in Henry County, on a farm near Calhoun, in 1856, and is now residing at Leeton, Missouri. Roy K. Palmer was educated in the public schools and was reared upon the farm until nineteen years old. He then entered the employ of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Company as depot agent and telegrapher at Windsor. In 1910, he purchased the cashier's interest in the Farmers Bank at Walker, Missouri, and had charge of this bank until 1915. He then disposed of his banking interests in Walker and became cashier of the Citizens Bank of Windsor. August 17, 1901, Roy K. Palmer was united in marriage with Miss Minnie P. Wright, who was born in Jefferson City, Missouri. Four children have been born of this union: Lillian Lucille, Irvin Walker, Roy Lyle, and Howard Benson. Mr. Palmer has been one of the active leaders of the Democratic party in Vernon County and served his party as committeeman from his township and city while a resident of that county. He is a member and elder of the Windsor Presbyterian Church and is active in religious works. He is a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Eastern Star and the Modern Woodmen of America. Mr. Palmer is a member of the school board and is active in the cause of education. As a banker, he has been very successful and occupies a high rank among the banking fraternity of Henry County and western Missouri, and is chairman of the Henry County Bankers Association. As a citizen, he is in the first ranks of those who do things and are continually trying to advance the best interests of their home city and county.
Big Creek Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 416
Photos: Lafayette Park
General Lafayette Park, a prominent farmer and stockman of Big Creek township, is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Cock County April 9, 1860, a son of John A. and Catharine M. (Garrison) Park, natives of Tennessee. The father died April 11, 1910, and the mother now resides with her son. John A. Park was a Confederate veteran. He enlisted in his native State and served in behalf of the lost cause until the fall of Vicksburg. At the close of the war he went to Indiana, where he remained until 1868. He then came to Missouri, settling near Lees Summit, in Jackson County, where he was engaged in farming until 1889. He then came to Henry County and he and his son, General Lafayette, purchased a farm in Big Creek township, which the latter now owns. Mr. Park's farm consists of nine hundred forty acres and is one of the well improved and valuable farms of Henry County. Mr. Park carries on general farming and stock raising. He is known as an extensive stockman and raises about one hundred head of cattle annually. He has shipped as many as four cars of hogs in one year. March 10, 1888, G. L. Park was united in marriage to Miss Anna Lou Gault of Jackson County, Missouri., She is a daughter of James and Rebecca J. (Flanery) Gault. Mrs. Park's mother died in 1908, and her father is now living retired and spends much of his time with his children. To General Lafayette Park and wife have been born the following children: James, farmer and stockman in Big Creek township, who makes a specialty of breeding Percheron horses and mammoth jacks; Anna Belle, married Roy Albin, Big Creek township; Lafayette, farmer and stockman in Big Creek township, and Mabel, married Ralph Butcher, Big Creek township. Mr. Park is a member of the Masonic Lodge and is a director in the Farmers Bank of Chilhowee, Missouri. He is a progressive and enterprising citizen and always stands ready to co-operate with and support any enterprise for the betterment or upbuilding of his township and county.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 753
Overton Park, also known as one of the pioneer settlers of Osage Township, was born in Madison County, Kentucky, November 14, 1822, and was the son of James and Polly (Benton) Park, also Kentuckians by birth. Overton moved to Indiana with his parents in 1826 or 1827, and located in Johnson County, being among the first settlers there. He was reared a farmer, and in 1841 he came to Missouri, making his home first in Benton County, where he entered land and improved a farm. He was married in that county July 19, 1844, to Miss Ellen Foster. In 1855, selling this property, he moved to Henry County and improved the place which he now occupies. This embraces 360 acres all under fence and in cultivation, with a good two story house, located in section 36. Mrs. Parks died in October, 1870, leaving a family of eleven children: James, David, Siegle, Chillion, Nancy (wife of R. Trigg), Purlina (wife of Reuben Brown), Emily (wife of John Burch), Samantha (wife of Joseph Bunch), Hannah (wife of John Newell), and Mary. Mr. Park was married the second time in the fall of 1861 to Mrs. Jane Holland, formerly the wife of John Holland. They have four children: George, Overton, Milo and Carrie A. Mr. P. served in the enrolled militia during the rebellion and was first lieutenant in Captain Good's company and as such participated in a number of skirmishes. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 349
Hon. James Parks. In the early settlement of Missouri, no state was more largely represented than Kentucky - in many instances her sons and daughters being among the earliest pioneers. Peyton and Almira Parks, the parents of Hon. James Parks, were born in Kentucky, where they were married in 1826. During the following year, October 28, 1827, James was born and was brought by his parents to Cooper County, Missouri, where they arrived in the winter of the same year. They remained in Cooper County until 1834, when they emigrated to Henry County, the same being at that time, but little more than a wilderness, where roamed unmolested the wild animal, and the scarcely less wild Indian. Being possessed of strong arms and a brave heart, Mr. Parks reared his home, nothing daunted, and industriously applied himself to the duties before him, having an abiding faith in a better time coming. His wife died in 1847 (September), and he, after witnessing the growth of Henry County - covering a period of nearly half a century - also passed away in November, 1880, respected by all who knew him. James obtained such an education as was afforded by the common schools of Henry County (which were very imperfect at best) in addition to what instruction was given him at home. In 1862 he commenced the study of law, and during the year following he received the appointment of county and circuit clerks for Henry County, which positions he filled until January, 1867, in the meantime continuing his study of the law. When his term of office expired he obtained a license to practice and soon worked up a good business. In 1878 he was elected judge of the probate court and again elected in 1882, his term of office expiring in 1887. The judge is a member of the Masonic order. He was married December 24, 1850, to Miss Mary J. Allen, a native of North Carolina. They have six children, whose names are as follows: Almira F., Laura A., Peyton A., Mattie E., Susan and Anna A.
PARKS, Peyton A.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 293
Peyton A. Parks. The name of Parks figures prominently in connection with the history of the courts in Henry County and Peyton A. Parks is today one of the distinguished members of the bar of Henry County. He was born in this county, August 22, 1855, a son of James and Mary (Allen) Parks. His paternal grandfather was one of Missouri 5 honored pioneer settlers and laid out and founded the city of Clinton. He was licensed to practice law in Kentucky in 1823 and became one of the early and prominent members of the Missouri bar, displaying notable ability in the trial of cases and the handling of important litigated interests entrusted to his care. The name of Parks has for eighty years been closely associated with the history of Henry County and has ever been a synonym for progressiveness and public-spirited citizenship. James Parks, father of Peyton A. Parks, was born near Stanford, Lincoln County, Kentucky, October 23, 1827. In early life he devoted his attention to farming and school teaching. He accompanied his parents on their removal to Cooper County, Missouri, in 1827, and to Henry County in 1834 so that he here practically spent his entire life. In 1860 he was elected county assessor and made a creditable record in that capacity. Subsequently other official honors were conferred upon him. He became circuit clerk and recorder of deeds and while thus engaged his interest in the law led him to take up the study of the principles of jurisprudence and he was admitted to the bar. He then entered upon active practice as a member of the firm of R. Allen & Company and following the withdrawal of Mr. Allen, Judge Gantt joined Mr. Parks in a partnership, and with the addition of a third member, William T. Thornton, the firm style of Parks, Thornton & Gantt was assumed. That relation continued until Mr. Thornton was appointed governor of the territory of New Mexico by President Cleveland, and Judge Gantt went upon the circuit bench. Mr. Parks was joined by his son Peyton in 1880 and they continued together in the practice of law until the father retired because of old age. He was probate judge for twenty years and was long accounted one of the foremost members of the bar in his section of the State. He held to the highest ideals of the profession and the thoroughness and care with which he prepared his cases and the clearness, force and logic with which he presented his cause before the courts made him notably successful. He died June 26, 1904, honored and respected by all who knew him. For about three years he had survived his wife, who passed away July 2, 1901. Peyton A. Parks was the only son in a family of six children. He attended both public and private schools of Clinton and when twenty years of age began teaching, remaining as principal of the Montrose schools for three and a half years. In the meantime he took up the study of law, to which he devoted his leisure hours, and following his admission to the bar he entered upon active practice in connection with his father. He has since continued as a general practitioner and devotes his entire time to his professional duties. Four generations of the Parks family have been connected with the legal profession in Clinton, for Peyton A. Parks is now associated with his only son, James A. They have one of the best equipped and most complete law offices to be found outside of the large cities. They occupy a suite of rooms in a two story building which they erected. The lower floor is divided into two large general offices, separated only by a broad archway and grille work. In the rear of these are the private offices. The walls are lined with long cases filled with works on law. The upper floor consists of one large room, richly carpeted, and at each end of the room is a long council table. In this room the four walls are completely lined with continuous shelves of books rising from the floor to more than three-fourths the height of the wall. Above the cases on one side of the room are enlarged pictures of the father and grandfather of Peyton A. Parks and also of his maternal grandfather, while the other four walls are adorned with pictures of well known statesmen and eminent men. With the contents of an extensive library Peyton A. Parks is largely familiar. He is a constant student of the law and seems never at a loss for principle or precedent to cite in proof of the correctness of his position. On the twenty-first of September, 1882, Mr. Parks was married to Miss Mary E. Gathright, who was born in Callaway County, Missouri, a daughter of James and Hester E. (Shackleford) Gathright, both of whom were natives of Virginia and at an early day went to Callaway County. The father engaged in farming, but afterward turned his attention to merchandising in Henry County, although death soon terminated his business career in the latter county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Parks was born a son, James A., whose natal day was October 13, 1883. He is now associated with his father in law practice. He married Miss Lizzie Wallis, and they have one child, Frances, born August 16, 1913. James A. Parks devotes his entire time to his professional duties. Both father and son are members of the Masonic fraternity and hold membership with the Modern Woodmen and with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Peyton A. Parks as well as the junior member gives his political allegiance the Democratic party and always keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day. He was county school commissioner when engaged in teaching from 1879 to 1881 and also a member of the State tax commission under Governor Dockery. Both father and son have been very active in all patriotic lines and war activities. The former has been and is vice-chairman of the Red Cross in Henry County, speaking and organizing on that line. For the past twenty-six years, or from 1892, Mr. Parks has been chairman of the sixth congressional committee. Mr. Peyton Parks and his wife are members of the Baptist Church and their social position is one of well deserved prominence. Theirs is a hospitable home and its good cheer is enjoyed by a constantly increasing circle of friends. A lifelong resident of Henry County, Peyton A. Parks has made an honorable record, following in the footsteps of father and grandfather and carrying on the work which was instituted by them in behalf of city and county. No history of this section would be considered complete without extended mention of the Parks family, so active have they been in support of all that pertains to the welfare, progress and improvement of this section of the State.
PARKS, Peyton B.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 789
Peyton B. Parks, is a prominent farmer on section 13. He was born in Cooper County, Missouri, November 21, 1841, and was the son of James Y. Parks, who was born in 1814, coming to Missouri at an early day. He married Nancy Adkins, a native of Missouri. They reared six children, Peyton being the fourth child. The senior Parks died in March, 1867. and his widow's death occurred in October, 1870. Young Parks was reared in his native county in the occupation of farming. He came to Henry County when just starting in life, and is now a progressive and successful farmer. He has a well improved farm of 150 acres on section 13. Mr. Parks was married October 28, 1866, to Miss Susan T. Randall, a native of Missouri. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and is also connected with the Masonic fraternity.
PARKS, Thomas B.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 357
Thomas B. Parks, county surveyor of Henry County, is a native son of this county and a member of a well known pioneer family of western Missouri. He was born at Leesville, Missouri, April 10, 1860, and is a son of Bird D. and Lourinda J. (Lee) Parks. Bird D. Parks, the father, was born in Kentucky and when twelve years of age came to Missouri with his parents, who located in Cooper County. He was a son of Peyton Parks. Bird D. Parks came to Henry County in 1844 and settled on a farm on Grand River south of Leesville. He bought his land from the Government at $1.25 per acre. At that time the Government land office was located at Lexington and Mr. Parks went there to pay for his land, and like other settlers of that time paid for it in silver dollars. Here he followed farming until the Civil War broke out, when he entered the Confederate Army and served as captain of a company in General Price's army. During the early part of the war he participated in a number of important engagements, including the battles of Lexington and Wilson Creek. Afterwards he returned to his Henry County home and removed with his family to Cooper County, and after the war returned to Henry County and settled in Springfield township, where the town of Thrush now stands. Here he spent the remainder of his life engaged in general farming and stock raising. He was a man of unusual ability and his life was filled with experiences out of the ordinary. In 1849 he made the trip to California. He went by the Overland route with ox teams and after remaining about a year at the mecca of the gold seekers, he returned home by way of the Isthmus of Panama. On this trip he was shipwrecked in the Caribbean Sea. He was a Democrat and prominent in the political affairs of Henry County and for eight years held the position of county surveyor. He was widely known as a prominent Mason. He died in 1903 at the age of eighty-six years. His wife, who was also a Kentuckian, died in 1893, aged seventy-five years. To Bird D. and Lourinda J. (Lee) Parks were born eight children who grew to maturity, three of whom are living as follows: Louisa, married Thomas Baughman, who is now deceased and she resides in Oklahoma; H. A., of Kansas City, Missouri, and Thomas B., the subject of this sketch. Thomas B. Parks received his early education in the public schools of Henry County and later entered the State Normal School at Warrensburg, where he was graduated in the class of 1878. He then engaged in teaching in Henry County and taught about seven years in all, during which time he was principal of the Calhoun schools one year. He was appointed county surveyor of Henry County in 1887 and elected to that office a number of times, serving thirteen years in succession. He then went to Montana, and for a number of years was in the employ of the Government as a surveyor, during which time he surveyed and sectionized a portion of the Flat Head Indian Reservation. In 1907 he returned to Henry County and from that time until 1916 was engaged in farming. He was then elected county surveyor again, which office he still holds. He owns a valuable farm and is interested in farming and stock raising. Mr. Parks was married January 9, 1888, to Miss Minnie L. Strieby, a native of Michigan, who came to Henry County with her parents in 1871. She is a daughter of Joel and Melvina (Norris) Strieby, who now reside in Clinton. To Mr. and Mrs. Parks have been born the following children: Pearl, married Mode Davis, Clinton; Clayta, married Albert Dunning, Jr., Fairview township; Zoe, at home with his parents; Manford, resided on his father's farm until he became a soldier in the National Army; Gordon, a midshipman in the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland; Mildred, a teacher in Saskatchewan, Canada, and Vivian,. a graduate of the Clinton High School, class of 1918, who resides at home. Mr. Parks is a Democrat and has been identified with that party all his life. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America.
PATT, J. M.
White Oak Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 668
J. M. Patt, a well known farmer and stockman of White Oak township, is a native of Indiana. He was born in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, in 1850 and is a son of Jackson and Mary W. (Dunn) Patt, the former a native of Indiana and the latter of Kentucky. The father died about the time that J. M. was born and the mother came to Cooper County, Missouri, in 1853, with the following children: Mary E., who was born August 8, 1839; Charles Richard, born December 23, 1841; William F., born April 28, 1844; Henry Clay, born December 24, 1846, and Jackson M., the subject of this sketch, born February 8, 1850. In 1854 the Patt family came to Henry County and located in White Oak township. A brother of the mother, Nathan Dunn, accompanied them. J. M. Patt was reared to manhood in Henry County and received his education in the district schools. He has made his own way in life since he was fifteen years of age. He purchased his present place in 1882 and now owns 200 acres of valuable land, which is one of the best improved and prettiest places in western Henry County. The residence is situated on an elevation overlooking the surrounding country for a number of miles, which gives the place a very imposing appearance. Mr. Patt was united in marriage March 9, 1871, to Miss Mattie L. Carver, a daughter of Noah and Nancy (McIntire) Carver of White Oak township. They settled in Henry County in 1866 and the mother died here in 1868 and the father in 1885. They came from Iowa. To Mr. and Mrs. Patt have been born eight children, as follow: Louella J., married James Sever, White Oak township; Muzetta A., now the wife of William C. Simpson, White Oak township; Mary I., married Albert Barth, White Oak township; Ida F., married Alonzo Long, Walker township, and Fannie Geraldine, married Harvey Harness, Walker township; James Franklin Patt, lives in Bates County; Lee J., White Oak township, and Richard, White Oak township. Mr. Patt has lived in White Oak township for sixty-three years and is one of the substantial pioneers of Henry County. He and his family are members of the Christian Church.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 617
Joseph Patten was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky, July 23, 1830. His parents, Hugh and Jane (Nesbit) Patten, were both natives of Kentucky, and the former was born in 1795. Hugh Patten spent his life on the farm where he was born and died at the age of seventy-one years. Joseph grew to manhood in the county of his birth, attending for a time the common subscription schools, but the principal part of his education has been obtained by self application. He came to Missouri in September, 1858, and in April, 1859, located in Henry County, where he purchased land and improved the farm upon which he now resides. He sold 140 acres of his original farm to the town company for the town site in 1870, and has at present 150 acres well improved, with the exception of seventeen acres of timber. There are seventy acres devoted to tame grass. His large residence is located in the suburbs of the city, in connection with which is a good barn, out buildings and an orchard. Mr. Patten was married in Callaway County, Missouri, December 23, 1858, to Miss Louisa West, a native of St. Louis County and a daughter of Alvin West, of Kentucky. Her mother was born in Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Patten are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, of which he has been an elder since 1866.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 798
James Paul son of William Paul, was born in Shawnee township on the place where he now resides November 3, 1868. He was reared and educated in Shawnee township and has made farming and stock raising his life's occupation and is one of Henry County's most successful men in this line of endeavor. On May 3, 1917, James Paul was united in marriage with Miss Anna R. Godwin, daughter of Rogers Godwin. He is now deceased. Mrs. Paul was born in White Oak township, Henry County.
PAUL, Samuel W.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 802
Samuel W. Paul, one of the large land owners and extensive stockmen and farmers of Henry County, is a native son of this county. His father, William Paul, is one of the venerable pioneers of this county who is now living in Shawnee township, now in his ninety-ninth year, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Samuel W. Paul was born in Shawnee township in 1866. He was reared to manhood in this township and received his education in the public schools here. In early life he became interested in farming and stock raising and since beginning his career in that field of endeavor he has met with uniform and unqualified success. Today he is the owner of six hundred thirty-three acres of some of Henry County's most valuable land. He raises cattle and hogs extensively, keeping from one hundred to one hundred sixty head of cattle and from one hundred to two hundred head of hogs. Mr. Paul has been a success in his undertaking, and is recognized as an important factor in the affairs of Henry County by those who know him best. Mr. Paul's farm is one of the attractive and well improved places in Shawnee township. In 1908 he erected a modern ten room residence and other farm buildings are thoroughly in keeping with the high standard of the residence. In 1913 his barn was destroyed by a cyclone and he immediately erected a barn 50x62 feet in dimensions, which is a model of its kind in every particular. Mr. Paul was united in marriage in 1893 to Miss Beulah Carr, a daughter of Thomas and Margaret Carr, the former a native of Tennessee and the latter of North Carolina. The father departed this life when Mrs. Paul was two years of age, and the mother resides at Chilhowee, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Paul have been born three children, as follow: Leah, Uel and William. Mrs. Beulah (Carr) Paul died July 10, 1918, at the age of forty-six years. She was a good Christian woman and a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. Paul is one of Henry County's most progressive citizens, a man who does things, and whose citizenship is worth while to the county or community. In politics Mr. Paul is a Republican. He is affiliated with Agricola Lodge No.343 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 671
William Paul, farmer and stock raiser, section 32, was born in Hardin County, Kentucky, July 5, 1820. His father, George S. Paul, a native of Pennsylvania, was born in 1766, and was in the battle of New Orleans, which was fought on the 8th day of January, 1815. His death occurred in 1837. Elizabeth Purcell was the maiden name of William's mother. The subject of this sketch was the second of a family of seven children. He remained on his father's farm in Kentucky until February 5, 1842, when he came to. Henry County, Missouri, settling on the farm which G. M. Casey now occupies. In 1845 he purchased his present place and commenced its improvement. It contains 610 acres of as good land as there is in the township, all well improved, with good houses, barns and orchards. He is now feeding three car loads of cattle. Mr. Paul has held the office of justice of the peace for thirty years, and was the first commissioner of Shawnee Township. He has been a member of the Masonic fraternity for thirty-three years. April 10, 1851, he married Miss Millie A. Casey, a native of Kentucky. Her death occurred February, 1852. He was again married March 26, 1856, to Miss Angatela Barker, of Missouri. She died May 1, 1873, leaving four children: John, Samuel, James and Richard. They had lost four: George, William, Benona, Elizabeth. Mr. P. is connected with the M. E. Church.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 797
Photos: William Paul
Squire William Paul - This venerable pioneer of Henry County is the oldest man living today in Henry County. He is reasonably vigorous in mind and body, notwithstanding the fact that he lacks but a little over a year of reaching the century mark. William Paul is a native of Kentucky. He was born in Rough Creek, west of Elizabethtown, Hardin County, Kentucky, January 5, 1820. His parents were George S. and Elizabeth (Purcell) Paul, both natives of Hardin County, Kentucky. The mother was born in 1796 and died in Hardin County in 1869. George S. Paul was born on the Monongahela River in Pennsylvania in 1766. He was a soldier in the War of 1812 and was at the battle of New Orleans. He died in Hardin County, Kentucky, in 1837. William Paul was reared to manhood in Hardin County, Kentucky, and in 1842 came to Missouri. He rode from Kentucky on horseback, in company with a man who was enroute to Iowa. They crossed the river at St. Louis, which at that time was a small town. Mr. Paul came to what is now Shawnee township, Henry County, and settled near Huntingdale. He says there is but one person now living, besides himself, who was here when he came. That is Mrs. Eliza Royston, who resides at Huntingdale, in her eighty-ninth year. In 1845 Mr. Paul bought a claim which consisted of three hundred acres. This place is still his home. He has been successfully engaged in farming and stock raising and for many years was an extensive feeder of cattle. During the last few years his sons have operated the home place, which consists of three hundred acres, while, owing to his advanced age, Mr. Paul has been practically retired from business activities. William Paul was united in marriage April 10, 1851, with Millie Ann Casey, who died about a year after her marriage to Mr. Paul. On March 26, 1856, Mr. Paul was united in marriage with Miss Angeleta Barker. She departed this life May 1, 1873. To this union were born the following children: John, Samuel and James, all residing near Huntingdale, Missouri, and Richard, George, William, Benona and Elizabeth, all of whom are deceased. After the death of his second wife Mr. Paul married Mrs. Malissa McFarland, who died in 1917. Mr. Paul has seen much of the early life and development of Henry County. He saw this county in almost its primitive state and has not only lived to see the marvelous improvements and advancement of considerably more than half a century, but has done his part towards the building up of Henry County. The result of the efforts of those noble pioneers is that the forest and prairie have been subdued and the present and future generations have been provided with a better place to live than these hardy pioneers of the thirties and forties ever dreamed of. Mr. Paul recalls many early day conditions, incidents and pioneers. He says Aaron and Samuel Cann started the first store in Huntingdale. These men began as peddlers in this section, walking from house to house, at a time when houses were few and far between. Later they started a store at Huntingdale and were merchants there for a number of years. Mr. Paul remained here during the Civil War and always gave his influence to the maintenance of law and order and did much for the restoration of civil authority after the great conflict ended. He was justice of the peace here for fifty-two years. Mr. Paul is one of the few pioneers of the early days left to tell the story of Henry County. He has done his part nobly and well and the present and future generations of Henry County cannot do better than to indelibly white the names of these noble pioneers in the imperishable record of Henry County. Squire Paul is the oldest living Mason in Missouri, having been made a Mason in 1842 - seventy-seven years ago.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 618
Samuel Paxton, grain dealer, and a prominent business man of Montrose, as well as a pioneer of the county, is a Virginian by birth, and was born in Kanawha County September 21, 1834. William Paxton, his father, was born in Rockbridge County, Virginia, in 1808, and his mother, formerly Eliza Atkinson, was also of Virginia birth. Samuel moved with his parents to Missouri in about 1842, and settled in Cooper County, being among the pioneers of that vicinity. There the subject of this sketch grew to manhood, his youth being spent on the farm. In 1856, he came to Henry County, bought land and improved a farm, and was one of the first settlers in this part of the county, there then being not enough inhabitants in Deepwater Township to support one school. Mr. Paxton was married September 8, 1861, to Miss Amanda Bailey, originally of Edgar County, Illinois, and a daughter of George Bailey. They have a family of three children, George B., May G. and Frank L. Himself, wife and daughter are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Soon after Montrose was laid out Mr. Paxton built the Montrose Steam Elevator, and has since been engaged in buying and handling grain. This elevator has a capacity of 2,000 bushels per day, with a corn sheller and a corn grinding burr. He is doing a large shipping business which will compare favorably with any in Henry County. He still owns his fine farm adjacent to the town, which consists of 115 acres, all in good cultivation with comfortable out buildings, etc., and an orchard of 400 bearing apple trees of select varieties. This farm is in section 14. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
PECKENPAUGH, John R. & Luke W.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 628
John R. and Luke W. Peckenpaugh, enterprising Clinton merchants who are engaged in the grocery and dry goods business on the southeast corner of the public square, are sons of Henry and Elizabeth (Bowen) Peckenpaugh, the former a native of Illinois and the mother of Henry County. Mrs. Henry Peckenpaugh is a daughter of Richard Bowen, a pioneer coal operator of Henry County, and the organizer of the Bowen Coal Company. He opened the first coal mine at Lewis Station, and later operated at Windsor. He is now living retired in Kansas City at the age of seventy-eight years. Henry Peckenpaugh came from his native State, Illinois, to Missouri, just after the close of the Civil War. At the time of his tragic death, in 1899, he was thirty-five years of age. He was United States marshal, residence at McAllister, Oklahoma, and was killed while in the performance of his duty as an officer. While arresting two post office robbers, he was shot by one of them. He had arrested one and the other, who was secreted behind a telephone pole, shot Mr. Peckenpaugh in the back, the effect of which caused instant death. His widow now resides in Clinton. To Henry and Elizabeth (Bowen) Peckenpaugh were born the following children: Mrs. C. E. Brown, Clinton; John Richard, engaged in the grocery and dry goods business in Clinton; Mrs. E. K. Roberts, Clinton; Mrs. George F. Jones, Omaha, Nebraska; Luke W., who is engaged in the dry goods and grocery business with his brother, John Richard. Luke W. was born at McAllister, Oklahoma, February 11, 1897, and received his education in the public schools of Clinton. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and is one of Clinton's well-known and popular young men. John R. Peckenpaugh was educated in the public schools of Clinton, and began his mercantile career as a clerk in the store of S. Degan of Clinton, at the age of fourteen years. In 1911, he and his brother, Luke, engaged in their present business. They were first located on the south side of the square and moved to their present place in 1913. June 14, 1913, John R. Peckenpaugh was united in marriage with Miss Lura Hart of Clinton, and they have one child, Ada Elizabeth. Mr. Peckenpaugh is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Woodmen of the World. The Peckenpaugh brothers are progressive and up-to-date merchants. They carry a first-class line of goods and their courteous manners and square dealings has won for them a generous portion of the patronage of Clinton.
PENLAND, John W.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 739
J. W. Penland, farmer and stock grower, was born on the Holstein River, in Cocke County, Tennessee, August 23, 1845. His parents, Aaron and Catharine (Philips) Penland, were married in Tennessee, and were the parents of six children, three boys and three girls, all of whom are living. When seven years of age John W. was taken to Kentucky, but after living there only one year the family came on West to Illinois, settling in Washington County, where he lived with his father until the age of eighteen. Then he began to work by the month, which he continued for five or six years, and in 1869 he came with his father to Henry County, and for nearly two years had charge of the water tank at Grand River. His father, a brother and himself secured an interest in the Grand River toll road, and repairing the road they retained it until the expiration of the charter when it reverted to the county. Mr. Penland was then given charge of the Deepwater tank and ran that until August, 1880. In 1877 he secured his farm which consists of 280 acres. He has a fine stock and grain farm and usually handles about fifty head each of cattle and hogs. April 1, 1872, he married Mrs. Annie Vanscoyk, who was born in Vermillion County, Indiana, September 29, 1847. She was the widow of Allen Vanscoyk, who died January 7, 1870. They were married in Indiana in 1864, and soon after came to Missouri. She has one girl, Gracie A., aged fifteen years, and she also lost a boy of twelve years, Jesse A., who died October 26, 1879.
PENLAND, John W.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 296
Photos: John W. Penland
J. W. Penland, one of Henry County's most successful men and a member of a pioneer family of this section of Missouri, is a native of Tennessee. He was born in Cox County, Tennessee, August 23, 1843, a son of Aaron and Catherine (Phillips) Penland, the former a native of Tennessee and. the latter of South Carolina. Aaron Penland came to Missouri with his family in 1871, and settled in Henry County on the Grand River, west of Clinton. Here he followed farming during the remainder of his life. He died in 1885, and his wife departed this life in 1893. They were the parents of six children, as follow: S. K., Clinton, Missouri; J. W. the subject of this sketch; Jane, now Mrs. Bryant, Galena, Kansas; Edna Langley, now deceased; Mrs. Maggie Stephens, Galena, Kansas, and A. G., deceased. In early life J. W. Penland worked by the month as a farm laborer. When he came to Henry County he had saved about $1,000, and he deposited $600 of that in a bank which failed a short time afterward. He then went to work on the construction of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroad and when the road began to be operated he took charge of the Grand River pumping station, which furnished water to the tank there to supply the locomotives with water. At first the water was pumped by hand, which task Mr. Penland performed with the assistance of another man. Later improved machinery was installed, which consisted of horse power. This continued to be the method of pumping until the water tank was removed to Deepwater, where a steam pump was installed. Mr. Penland was in the employ of the railroad company eleven years in all. Early in life Mr. Penland realized the earning power of money and while in the employ of the railroad company he not only purchased two hundred acres of land, but loaned considerable money, and during his entire business career in Henry County has loaned large sums of money. He was engaged in farming for ten years and in 1894 came to Clinton, where he has since made his home, and during that time has carried on an extensive loan business. During his time he has owned a great deal of land in Henry County and has bought and sold several hundred acres in the course of his various transactions. He is one of Henry County's substantial citizens and has accumulated a comfortable fortune. He has invested $14,000 in Liberty Bonds. Mr. Penland was united in marriage in 1881 to Miss Anna Potter, a native of Indiana. She departed this life January 12, 1912. No children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Penland. Mr. Penland has been a life long Democrat and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has seen much of the development of Henry County and in its upbuilding has contributed his part. He is public spirited and has ever co-operated with any movement for the betterment of Clinton and Henry County.
PERSONS, Joseph O.
Bear Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 770
Joseph O. Persons, farmer and stock raiser, section 34, was born in Genesee County, New York, July 13, 1829, and was the son of Joseph Persons, a native of Pennsylvania, and Betsy (Farwell) Persons, originally from New York. The former served in the war of 1812 and was wounded in the service and drew a pension until his death, which occurred in August, 1877. J. O. Persons divided his youthful days, until his sixteenth year, in his native county, between working on a farm and attending the common schools. In the fall of 1849 he went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and clerked in a grocery store for three years. Having entered a piece of land in Dodge County, he commenced improving it but after working for six months he sold the place and went to Neosho, in the same county, and learned the tinner's trade, after which he embarked in the grocery business at that place and was appointed postmaster there. He continued in business for about eighteen years, and in 1869 he sold out and moved to Pierce County where he took a homestead and improved a farm, which after living upon it for nine years, he sold, and in the fall of 1878 came to Henry County, Missouri, and purchased where he now lives. Mr. Persons was married in Neosho, Wisconsin, January 9, 1854, to Miss Cornelia Haun, of New York. She died in Pierce County, Wisconsin, December 4, 1873, leaving eight children: Alice E. (now the wife of D. Persons), Ella May, Dennis L., Alma V., (now Mrs. George Chapman), Francis H., Charles A., Reuben A. and James H. Mr. Persons was married in Neosho June 19, 1876, to Miss Louisa Wing, who was also born in New York. They are members of the M. E. Church. Mr. Persons served three years as justice of the peace in Neosho and also for eight years in Pierce County.
PFOST, W. A.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 740
W. A. Pfost was born in Jackson County, West Virginia, January 8, 1837, being the son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Reader) Pfost. He was the third in a family of ten children, and one brother, Henry Clay, is in Montrose. Mr. Pfost was married at the age of twenty-two on February 17, 1859, to Miss Caroline Harrison, sister of Judge J. M. Harrison. In 1869 he came to Henry County and began to farm in Davis Township, where he now lives, having 160 acres of land, nicely situated and well improved. He has been dealing extensively in live stock, and usually feeds two or three car loads of beef cattle and aims to handle a superior grade of stock. More men like our subject is what has made Henry County take its place among the first counties of the state in a comparatively short space of time. Having but a very little property when he came from Virginia a few years ago, he has managed to acquire a fair competency by industry and good management. Mr. Pfost is Democratic in politics, and himself and wife are members of the M. E. Church South. They have a family of eight children: Lewis William (who has married Miss Katie Mullin), Theodore Henry, Geneva, Charlie, Nancy E., Erastus, Maude and an infant.
PHELPS, David Michael
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 818
David Michael Phelps, farmer, section 3, was born January 31, 1842, in St. Clair County, Illinois. His father, Michael Phelps, who was born in Knoxville, Tennessee, in 1797. was married in September, 1820 or 1821, to Miss Ruth Lunsford, of St. Clair County, Illinois. They had thirteen children. Mrs. Phelps died June 2, 1862, and Mr. P. was again married February 8, 1867, to Miss Margaret Alexander, also of St. Clair County, Illinois. By the second union there was one son. David M. Phelps, the second son in his father's family, received but a common English education in youth, commencing life for himself at the age of nineteen as a farm laborer. He was married March 17, 1864, to Miss Louisa Moore, of Belleville, St. Clair County. Illinois. They have had four children, three of whom are living. In November, 1868, Mr. and Mrs. P emigrated to Johnson County, Missouri, where he purchased a farm of 120 acres, remaining there for three years. He then came to Henry County and purchased the farm on which he now lives. Politically, he is a Democrat.
PHILLIPS, B. G.
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 625
B. G. Phillips, a well-known and successful dry goods merchant of Clinton, is a native of Missouri. He was born near Maryville, Nodaway County, Missouri, February 10, 1867, a son of Samuel and Adeline (Myers) Phillips, the former a native of Indiana, and the latter of Jackson County, Missouri. Adeline Myers, was a daughter of B. G. Myers, who was a very early settler in western Missouri, locating in Jackson County about the time the Mormons were here, and when they were deported. During Samuel Phillips' active career, he was engaged in the mercantile business at Barnard, Missouri, and was regarded as a successful merchant. He died in 1917, aged eighty-three. His wife and the mother of B. G. Phillips preceded him in death a number of years, having departed this life in 1874. They were the parents of four children, three of whom are living: Charles C., Barnard, Missouri; Mrs. Gertrude Meislahn, Colorado Spring's, Colorado; and B. G., the subject of this sketch. B. G. Phillips was educated in the public schools and the Northwestern Normal School of Missouri. After finishing school he engaged in clerking at Bernard, Missouri, and for twelve years was employed there. He then was a traveling salesman, following that vocation until 1900, when he came to Clinton and entered the employ of Lindley & Shackleford. A few months later he engaged in the dry goods business for himself, and has to his credit eighteen years of honorable and successful mercantile life in Clinton. (Mr. Phillips began business on the north side of the square and during the course of his business career there, he has moved his place of business three times, each move having been made necessary by the growth and development of his business, which necessitated larger quarters. His store is still located on the north side in about the center of the block. His store building has a frontage of forty-two feet with a depth of one hundred feet. Mr. Phillips carries a complete line of dry goods, ladies ready-to-wear garments and shoes. The Phillips mercantile establishment occupies the first and second floors, and there is no wasted space. He employs a corps of from nine to fifteen capable and courteous clerks, and the mercantile trinity of success: service, quality and square dealing, are the precepts of the Phillips store. Mr. Phillips was united in marriage February 16, 1890, to Miss Alice Hurd, a native of Andrew County, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. Phillips have been born two children: Ona, married Lester H. Stewart, Clinton, Missouri, and Samuel Everett, a member of the Medical Corps of the National Army, and at the time of this writing he is stationed at Ft. Riley, Kansas. Mr. Phillips is a Democrat and a member of the Fraternal Aid Society. He and Mrs. Phillips are members of the Christian Church. Since the organization of the Clinton Commercial Club, he has been one of its active members and has ever been an advocate of improvement, and has been a member of the Executive Committee and an ardent and insistent worker for the betterment and upbuilding of Clinton and Henry County. He is an advocate of municipal improvement and good roads, and is ever ready to cooperate with any worthy enterprise. He believes in advertising; he is public spirited, and a stickler for square-toed business methods.
PHIPPS, W. R.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 659
W. R. Phipps, a well known banker and financier of Blairstown, Missouri, cashier of the Bank of Blairstown, is a native son of Missouri and comes from a pioneer family of this State. Mr. Phipps was born in Johnson County January 5, 1869, and is a son of David and Cornelia J. (Wall) Phipps. The mother was a daughter of Dr. R. Z. R. Wall, one of the very early pioneer doctors of Johnson County, who located in Chilhowee township in 1839, and had much to do with the early history of Johnson County, not only from the standpoint of a physician, but a pioneer settler and citizen, who had a great influence in molding the sentiments and shaping the destiny of western Missouri in the early days. David Phipps, father of W. R. Phipps, settled in Johnson County, Missouri, in 1866. He came from Indiana and was a potent factor in the early history of Chilhowee township, Johnson County. After a well spent and useful life he died here in 1888, and his widow now resides in Chilhowee township, Johnson County. They were the parents of the following children: Mrs. Ida Rice, Chilhowee township, Johnson County; W. R., the subject of this sketch; Oscar D., Rose Hill township, Johnson County, Missouri; Josie, died in 1894; Walter, lives in Chilhowee township, Johnson County; Albert, died in 1901, and Harry, who is engaged in the mercantile business at Denton, Missouri. W. R. Phipps received his education in the public schools and took a course in the business college at Sedalia. In 1889 he engaged in the hardware business at Blairstown, and continued in that line of mercantile enterprise for about two years. In 1893 Mr. Phipps became assistant cashier of the Bank of Blairstown and in 1901 became cashier, a position which he has since held. Mr. Phipps has had a long and varied experience in the banking world, and possesses the requisite qualifications of a successful banker. He is conservative enough for safety and progressive enough for all purposes of modern banking. For a number of years he has been a student of the difficult problems of finance and banking, and his idea of a modern, successful bank is an institution that is big enough to accommodate its customers and not too big to appreciate them. There is a lesson in banking for the average banker in Mr. Phipp's philosophy. Mr. Phipps was married in January, 1899, to Miss Mary L. Orr, a daughter of Rev. Z. T. Orr, formerly of Blairstown, now of Lock Springs, Missouri. Her father was a prominent Presbyterian divine and her mother is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Phipps have an adopted child, Martha. Mr. Phipps is a member of the Masonic Lodge and the Modern Woodmen of America. He is prominent in Henry County and he and Mrs. Phipps rank among the leading people of their community. He is an elder in the Presbyterian Church at Blairstown, Missouri.