UHLENBOCK, Christian F.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 567
Christian Uhlenbock, a farmer and stockman of Springfield township, owner of 197.5 acres of splendid farm land in sections 26 and 27, land which he has accumulated and paid for since 1887, is a native of Germany, but a loyal, progressive American citizen whose industry and enterprise is worthy of commendation. Mr. Uhlenbock was born in Lippe-Detwold, Germany, the son of Christian and Wuhelmina (Hagemann) Uhlenbock, who spent all of their lives in Germany. A younger brother of the subject, Anton Uhlenbock, lives in Springfield township. Christian Uhlenbock was reared and educated in his native country, followed the trade of brick mason during the summer seasons and in winter followed the trade of butcher. He left Germany in 1882 and came to Henry County, Missouri. During his first two years in this county he worked at farm labor and then rented land for three years. In 1887 he bought his present farm of 197.5 acres and has made many substantial improvements on the place. Mr. Uhlenbock is a breeder of high grade Duroc Jersey hogs and Shorthorn cattle. In addition to his farming interests, he is a stockholder of the First National Bank of Windsor, Missouri. October 25, 1883, Mr. Uhlenbock was united in marriage with Miss Henrietta Griefe, born July 17, 1858, at Lippe-Detwold, Germany, and came to America in 1882 on the same ship which carried her husband. For further particulars concerning the Griefe family history, the reader is referred to the sketch of Fred Griefe elsewhere in this volume. To Christian and Henrietta Uhlenbock have been born two children: William Frederick, aged thirty-one years, and Henry Christian, the latter of whom is deceased. Mr. Uhlenbock is a Republican and he and Mrs. Uhlenbock are members of the Baptist Church.
UNDERWOOD, H. J.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 657
H. J. Underwood, of the firm of Underwood & Son, manufacturers of stoneware, Calhoun, was born in Starke County, Ohio, April 26, 1855, his father, H. H. Underwood, having been born in Pennsylvania February 3, 1833. He was a son of Joseph and Frances (Marsh) Underwood, natives of Pennsylvania. H. H. was taken to Ohio by his parents, where he was reared and educated. In 1852 he engaged in the manufacture of stoneware which he followed there until 1880, then removing to Calhoun. October 7, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Forty-second Ohio Infantry, and was discharged in November, 1864, having been in the hospital at New Orleans three months. He was married to Miss Caroline Rochess, October 7, 1852. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Ohio, and has followed his present business since arriving at manhood. The firm are doing a good business and sell their ware to dealers in different parts of this and other states. They make a specialty of vases, flower pots and terra cotta ware. Mr. Underwood was married October 27, 1878, to Miss Ada M. Dawson, a native of Ohio. They have two children, Carrie M. and Paul H. Mr. U. is a leading member of the Christian Church.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 547
Samuel Vail, farmer and brick manufacturer, section 9, is a native of Ohio, and was born June 15, 1846. When he was five years old his parents removed to Winneshiek County, Iowa, where he grew up and was educated, being reared in the occupation of farming. There he continued the same till 1866. In the spring of that year he located in Clarke County, Missouri, where he resided till the fall of 1867. Coming to Henry County, Missouri, he settled west of Clinton, and in 1869 engaged in the manufacture of brick, which he now continues in connection with farming. He has a good farm of 170 acres of land, well fenced and otherwise improved. Mr. Vail was married December 24, 1875, to Miss Susan Bodkins, also of Ohio. They have two children, Mollie V. and Charles E. They are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.
VANCE, I. M.
Big Creek Township
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 709
I. M. Vance, farmer and stock feeder, section 11, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, February 2, 1844. His parents, were B. H. Vance, born in Ohio in 1812, and Adeline (Myers) Vance, a native of the same state. The former was a farmer and stock dealer by occupation, and followed the stock business for a number of years. He removed with his family to Missouri in 1858 and located in Cooper County, where he lived about nine years, coming thence to Johnson County in 1867 and to Henry County in 1868. I. M. Vance spent his youth on a farm. He was married in Cass County in March, 1870, to Miss Cyrena Cain, a native of Adams County, Illinois, but who was reared in Harrison County, Missouri. She was a daughter of Ephraim Cain. They have six children: Loella, Cora E., Anna Kate, Walter S., Frank and Henry B. Mr. Vance purchased and moved on his present farm in 1872. He has 183 acres of land, with 160 acres fenced and in a good state of cultivation, well improved, etc. He enlisted in April, 1863, in the Missouri State militia cavalry and served till discharged in September, 1865. He participated in the fights of Price's raid from the Osage to Jefferson City, some sixty days, with skirmishing every day, and he was also in a number of other important engagements.
VANSANT, Samuel Allen
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 744
Samuel Vansant, was born in Madison County, Illinois, April 8, 1841, being the son of Abner B. and Susan Crist. The former died in 1856, and his mother has since married James Crabb, of Davis Township. Samuel was the eldest of a family of four brothers and two sisters, of whom Joel and George live in Cedar County, William is in Sedalia and the two sisters, Mary Olive and Elizabeth, still live in Madison County, Illinois. Samuel grew to manhood on his father's farm, receiving like a majority of the boys of that day, a limited education, such as was afforded in the common schools, and such as he acquired by unassisted efforts. On the 16th of October, 1862, he married Miss Elizabeth Voyles, who was born in the same county as himself, on July 11, 1842. In 1868 he emigrated to Missouri and bought a tract of eighty acres, where he now lives, camping upon it until he had erected a suitable living room. He now has 160 acres of land in cultivation, and well improved with a good house and barn. He has a twenty-six inch vein of coal near his residence, from which he has taken large quantities of the black diamonds. Mr. V. has been quite successful in raising wheat; one piece of twenty-five acres, making one hundred bushels per acre in four year. Mr. Vansant and wife are parents of an interesting family of eight children, all of whom are living and at home. They are George, Emma, Joel, James, Bertie, Thomas, Arthur and Mattie. Mr. VanS. is a good farmer, an estimable citizen and a staunch Democrat. His wife and daughter, Emma, are members of the Christian Church.
VANSANT, Samuel Allen
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 372
Samuel A. Vansant. For fifty years Samuel A. Vansant has resided upon his splendid form of 160 acres in Davis township and has prospered as the years have passed. He has reared a fine family of children and he and his faithful wife have lived to celebrate their golden wedding anniversary surrounded by their children and grandchildren. No man is more universally respected and admired for his sterling qualities than this old settler whose first home, when he came to Henry County in September of 1868, was a tent in which he lived until his modest frame house, 16x24 feet in dimension, could be erected. In the year 1883 he erected a nice home of six rooms which is surrounded by cedar and deciduous trees, which have grown during the time of his residence on the place. Samuel A. Vansant was born in Madison County, Illinois, April 8, 1841. He is a son of Abner B. and Susan (Christ) Vansant, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively. Abner B. Vansant was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, removed to Zanesville, or Muskingum County, Ohio, and was there married to Susan Christ, who was born in that county. During the early thirties he removed to Madison County, Illinois, and purchased a farm near Collinsville, which he developed into a fine property. He died in 1856. There were four sons and two daughters in the Vansant family, as follow: Mary Ellen and Elizabeth Ann, deceased; Samuel A, subject of this review; George, deceased; Joel, Cedar County, Missouri; William, Pittsburg, Kansas. Samuel A. Vansant was reared to young manhood in Madison County, Illinois, and was there married to Elizabeth Boyles on October 16, 1862. Mrs. Elizabeth (Boyles) Vansant was born on July 11, 1842, and is a daughter of Henry and Sarah (Funderburg) Boyles, who were early settlers of Madison County, Illinois. Mr. Vansant was engaged in farming in Illinois until 1868, and during that year he disposed of his Illinois farm with the intention of coming to Missouri, where land was much cheaper and just as productive as the high priced land of his native county. When he came to Henry County he was possessed of the snug sum of $3,000, quite a fortune in those days. This amount enabled him to pay half cash for his quarter section at a cost of $8.50 an acre, and erect a comfortable residence on his prairie land. One year later he succeeded in paying the balance of the money due on the land, and as the years have passed he has grown prosperous and well contented with his lot in Henry County. To Mr. and Mrs. Samuel A. Vansant have been born nine children, all of whom have been reared to maturity and useful citizenship: George Franklin, a farmer on Bear Creek township; Mrs. Emma Isabel Barr, died in 1884, leaving two children, one of whom, Howard, is living; Joel Henry, a carpenter and contractor in La Due, Missouri; James A., born August 11, 1869, is operating the home farm and is a director of the Bank of La Due, and is fraternally affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Mrs. Bertie Gale Grider, living at Pontiac, Livingston County, Illinois; Thomas, a farmer in Davis township; Arthur, a farmer living in Bear Creek township; Mrs. Mattie Fellhauer, La Due, Missouri; Mrs. Ida Lawson, Clinton, Missouri. Politically Mr. Vansant is aligned with the Democratic party. He and his family are members of the Christian Church. Fifty-five years have passed since Samuel A. and Sarah Vansant were united in marriage and time has served to mold them into comfortable and respected old age, admired and valued as friends by all who know them. Hospitable to the core, they are ever ready to share with their friends and acquaintances that which they have. This splendid Henry County pioneer couple have twenty-six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren who were gathered at the old home on the occasion of the golden wedding anniversary. May the years to come deal kindly with them and bring them continued prosperity and well being.
VanWINKLE, Jesse Francis
Clinton, Clinton Township
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 675
J. F. VanWinkle, of the firm of Britell & VanWinkle of Clinton, is a native of Henry County. He was born in Leesville township in 1871 and is a son of M. C. and Marie J. (Biggs) VanWinkle, both natives of Illinois. The father served in the Union Army with an Illinois regiment during the Civil War. After the war he came to Henry County, about 1870. Here he followed farming and stock raising until his death in 1880. His widow now lives in Clinton. Maria Biggs was a daughter of James R. Biggs, who settled in Henry County about the year 1870. His widow now lives in Clinton, aged eighty-nine years. There are five generations of the Biggs family now living in Henry County. J. F. VanWinkle was reared in Henry County and educated in the public schools and was engaged in farming until 1917, when he, in partnership with W. S. Britell, purchased the Kibbey stock of harness, and since that time they have been engaged in the harness business at the Kibbey old stand. Mr. VanWinkle has been twice married. His first wife, to whom he was married in 1893, bore the maiden name of Minnie Fowler, who was a daughter of George and Esther Fowler of Deepwater, Missouri. She died in 1907, leaving the following children: Jene Clyde, La Due, Missouri; Irene, the wife of Bennie Dunning, Appleton City, Missouri; Ruth, now the wife of Jesse McGintis, Clinton, Missouri; Noma, Mary and Florence. Mr. VanWinkle was united in marriage in 1910 with Miss Erma Johnson of Clinton, Missouri. She is a daughter of Alvin and Ruth Johnson, the former now deceased and the latter lives at Deepwater, Missouri. To Mr. and Mrs. VanWinkle have been born the following children: Darwin and Dorothy Jean, twins. Mr. VanWinkle is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Clinton and takes a commendable interest in local affairs.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 547
Dominick Venlemans, proprietor of Johnson's Mill on section 23, was born in Belgium, February 5, 1829. At the age of seven years he came with his parents to America, and finally settled in Louisiana. After a residence there of five years, in 1841, he came to Cooper County, Missouri, where he was engaged in mill wrighting and farming till 1881, then purchasing the Johnson Mill, which he has since successfully conducted. It is one of the oldest mills in the county, having been built by John Nave in 1841. It passed into the hands of J. A. Rogers in 1854, who ran it till 1858, when R. J. Jackson took charge. He continued as proprietor till 1880, and after a time it fell to its present owner. Mr. V. was married January 17, 1855, to Miss Sarah F. Gordon, who was born in Henry County, Missouri. She was a daughter of Patterson Gordon, an old pioneer and prominent in the early settlement of the county. They have three children, Mary E., Anna L. and William L. They are members of the Catholic Church.
VENLEMANS, John Judge
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 782
Judge Venlemans, farmer and stock raiser, section 20, is recognized as being one of the prominent men in Leesville Township. Mr. Venlemans is a native of Belgium, and was born October 2, 1824, near the battle grounds of Waterloo. His father, John F. Venlemans and his mother also were born in that country, and in 1834 the family emigrated to the United States, locating first in Louisiana, where they lived about seven years. They then became residents of Cooper County, where John grew to manhood on the farm. He was married in that county in May, 1852, to Miss Sarah E. Randel, of Indiana, and a daughter of David Randel. Mr. and Mrs. Venlemans have five children: Teressa A., (wife of John D. Eliott); John D., who is a bookkeeper for a wholesale house in St. Joseph, Missouri; Margaret A., Sarah C., Stephen P. - They lost four children, three in infancy and one, Laura Bell, (wife of Henry Eberding) who died in September, 1878, at the age of nineteen. After his marriage Mr. V. located on a farm in Moniteau County, which he had previously purchased and improved, but selling that place in 1854 he came to Henry County, when he bought land and improved the farm which consists of 205 acres he now occupies. He enlisted in the Confederate service in November, 1862, and served till discharged in 1863. In 1864 he moved to Nebraska and located in Saline County, and lived there five years, having been one of the early settlers of that county, and he wrote the petition and helped to organize the county. He was elected and served as county judge there for three years. In 1869 he returned to his farm in this county, where he has since resided. He was elected one of the county judges of Henry County during the time of the township organization, and has held other local offices. He was elected and re-elected to the office of justice of the peace, and has served as such for about twenty years. The judge belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and has been an active member of his lodge since its organization.
VICKARS, Henry Clay
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 745
Henry C. Vickars. Prominent among the pioneers of this township is Mr. Vickars, who settled in Henry County in 1852. After living one year near Stone Chapel he located on his present farm, buying eighty acres, upon which a small house had been built. He soon after entered more land until his farm contained 400 acres. It embraces 160 acres at present and is pleasantly located on the south side of Deepwater. For many years Mr. Vickars dealt extensively in stock, raising large numbers of cattle and mules, but of late years he has devoted his attention more directly to agricultural pursuits and is living comfortably on his farm in the companionship of his excellent wife. Mr. Vickars is the youngest of a family of seven and was born in Mason County, Kentucky, on the 15th of May, 1819. His parents, James and Mary (Watson) Vickars, were natives of Virginia, and when Henry was six years of age they returned to Virginia and settled in Kanawha County, where he grew to manhood. He was married February 7, 1843, to Miss Elizabeth Ann Roberts, who was born in Kanawha County, September 18, 1821, her parents being James and Sarah (Halley) Roberts. They lived in West Virginia ten years after they were married and until coming to Missouri. They have three children: James H., real estate agent at Montrose; Edwin Lee, in Lincoln, Nebraska, and Rosa, (wife of Dr. Richard B. Fewel.) Mrs. Vickars is a member of the Baptist Church. In political opinions Mr. Vickars is Democratic.
VICKARS, William Henry
Montrose, Henry Co, MO
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 450
William H. Vickars was one of the earliest of the pioneer settlers of Henry County who was reared in this county and spent practically his entire life here. He was born in Kanawha County, Virginia, December 25, 1842 and departed this life in Montrose, August 17, 1911. He was the son of Stephen Decatur Vickers, who was born in Maysville, Kentucky, in 1813, and died in Henry County, 1895. Stephen Decatur Vickars was the son of James Vickars of Virginia, who was a native of North Ireland and was descended from Scotch Presbyterian stock. When James Vickars immigrated to America, he first settled in Virginia and from that State went to Maysville, Kentucky, about the same period that the Wilsons settled in that vicinity. From Maysville, Kentucky, he went to the Kanawha Valley region of Virginia now West Virginia in company with the Wilsons. James Vickers built the first steamboat and operated it upon the Kanawha River, a feat which did much to open up the Kanawha Valley to settlement and development. He also in company with James Wilson freighted produce to New Orleans down the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Stephen Decatur Vickars left his home in the Kanawha Valley country in 1842 and came to Henry County, Missouri in search of a future. home for his family. He entered free Government land in Bear Creek township and spent all of his days in this county engaged in agricultural pursuits, taking a prominent and important part in the early development of Henry County. His wife, prior to her marriage, was Frances Marion Stewart of the old Stewart family of Virginia of undoubted Revolutionary ancestry. She was the daughter of Daniel Stewart, who was also a pioneer settler in Henry County, who enlisted for service in the War of 1812 and received a grant of Government land in Henry County, coming here not long after Stephen Decatur Vickars and his family made a permanent settlement in this county. Mrs. Francis Marion Vickars, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, in 1821 and died in 1915, one of the best beloved of the pioneer women of Henry County. Her life was devoted to good deeds and she was loved and revered by all the people of the countryside for her goodness and kindliness, a friend to all, all were friends of hers. She was deeply religious and an ardent and tireless church worker. It is a matter of history that the first school held in this section of Henry County, was taught in the home of Stephen Vickers and through his influence and liberality a teacher was obtained and the education of the youth of the neighborhood began and continued through the years. This school was taught by Mrs. Susan Bronaugh. After a residence here of some years the modest pioneer home of the Vickers family was supplanted by an imposing frame edifice erected by Mr. Vickars much of the material used in its construction, such as window sash, etc., being brought by steamboat from Cincinnati and then hauled overland from the landing place at Boonville on the Missouri. This house was one of the very first large residences erected in the county and for many years was a landmark. To Stephen Decatur and Frances Marion Vickars were born three children: William Henry; Emeline, died at the age of fourteen years; Mrs. Frances Ann, or Nannie, deceased wife of William F. Carter. William H. Vickers was reared to manhood in Henry County and became a farmer, following this vocation until a few years before his death, when he removed to a home at Montrose, where his death occurred. His farm was situated in Walker township. Mr. Vickers was married to Susan Cornelia Peyton, who was born in Boonville, Missouri, in 1846 and died in 1895. She was the daughter of Frederick S. and Lurcetia (Hartt) Peyton, who were natives of Fredericksburg, Virginia, and were early pioneers of Cooper County, Missouri. Five children were. born to William H. and Susan Cornelia Vickers, as follow: Ella Peyton, wife of Harry Armstrong, a farmer in Davis township, a sketch of whom appears in this volume; Frederick resides in California; William Carter Vickars lives in California; and Mrs. Marion Wilson of this review. Mr. Vickars was a Democrat and was a member of the Methodist Church South.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 793
Absalom Vickers, farmer, section 15, was born in Muhlenburg (now McLean County), Kentucky, September 21, 1817. His father, John Vickers, was born in Edgecombe County, North Carolina, in 1796, and came to Kentucky when twelve years of age. His wife, formerly Mary Lands, was a Virginian by birth. The former died May 13, 1874, and the latter about 1848. Absalom was reared and educated in his native county and has spent his life in the occupation of farming. In October, 1850, he emigrated to Hancock County, Illinois, where he remained till the fall of 1854, then coming to Henry County, Missouri, and settling where he now resides, having a farm of fifty-six acres. Mr. V. has been a successful and progressive man through life, and were all men like him in our county there would be little need of courts, etc. He has been prominently identified with the Bethlehem Baptist Church almost since its organization, and is one of its most liberal contributors and staunch supporters. He donated an acre of ground where their new church stands, and when it became needed donated two more acres on which to have a cemetery. He was married October 5, 1837, to Miss Elizabeth Welch, a native of Kentucky. They have five children living: Laura, Adaline, Florence, Antoinette and John. From 1868 to 1870 Mr. V. held the office of township treasurer and clerk of Bethlehem Township.
VICKERS, James H.
1883 History of Henry County Missouri, National Historical Co pg 623
James H. Vickers is a native of Virginia and was born in Kanawha County, February 14, 1847. Henry C. Vickers, his father, a Kentuckian by birth, married Miss Elizabeth A. Roberts, originally from Virginia. James H. moved to Missouri with his parents in the spring of 1852, and located in Henry County, where his youth was passed on the home farm, and he received a common school education, supplemented with a course at the Rice & Stewart Commercial College, at St. Louis. After completing his studies he returned to Henry County, where he was engaged in farming until 1872, then going to Colorado. After remaining about two years in the mining districts, prospecting and mining, he came back from Colorado and spent several months in St. Louis, occupied in the interest of his mines. He located in Montrose in the summer of 1877, and opened a real estate office at this place, where he is now doing a general land agency business and has long lists of valuable wild lands and improved farms for sale. Mr. Vickers was appointed notary public in November, 1879. He is a gentleman of excellent business qualifications and of high standing in the community. He was married in Montrose October 25, 1870, to Miss Kate Chilton, of Cooper County, and a daughter of Dr. E. Chilton, one of the pioneer physicians of Montrose. Mr. and Mrs. Vickers lost three children in infancy. Mrs. V. is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Masonic fraternity, and his lodge has recognized his ability by electing him secretary.
VOLKMAN, Otto H.
1919 History of Henry Co MO, Uel W. Lamkin, Historical Publishing Co pg 367
Otto Volkmann, manager and treasurer of the La Due Grain and Supply Company, La Due, Missouri, is a native son of Henry County, and was born on a farm in Clinton township, January 22, 1884. He is the son of C. H. and Catherine Volkmann, natives of Germany, who immigrated to America in 1862, first locating in Indiana. C. H. Volkmann later came to St. Louis and thence to Henry County in 1875, where he purchased a tract of prairie land and improved it, residing on his farm until his death in November of 1906 at the age of seventy-six years. Mrs. Catherine Volkmann died in August of 1906 at the age of sixty-nine years. They were parents of eight children: Louis and William, living at Wallace, Idaho; Henry, Lincoln, Missouri; Otto, subject of this sketch; Mrs. Louise Beckmeyer, Fayette County, Missouri; Mrs. Emma Seifried, Clinton; Mrs. Mary Quest, deceased; and Bertha, living in Lafayette County. Otto Volkmann attended the Independence district school and resided on the home place of his parents until the farm was sold in 1906. He was then employed as a farm hand until 1910 at which time he began farming on his own account. He followed farming pursuits until February 10, 1916, when he took charge of the La Due Grain and Supply Company as its manager and treasurer. Mr. Volkmann is a Democrat in politics and a member of the Lutheran Church. He is affiliated with the Travelers' Protective Association and the Modern Business Brotherhood of America; The La Due Grain and Supply Company, of which Mr. Volkmann is manager and treasurer, was organized in the spring of 1915 and is a co-operative concern, the stock of which is held by the farmers of the surrounding country tributary to La Due. The capital stock was $6,000 at the time of organization. The company erected all of the buildings, the elevator having a capacity of 12,000 bushels of grain. During 1917 there was handled by this elevator 24,000 bushels of corn, 30,300 bushels of oats and 16,500 bushels of wheat. In addition to handling grain the concern retails seeds, flour, feeds, cement and building material, the volume of business transacted during 1917 exceeding $100,000. The officers of the company are as follow: President, Claud Cordry; secretary, Clyde A. Rice; treasurer and manager, Otto Volkmann. The directors are as follow: William Lobaugh, F. K. Miller, George Mayes, Frank White, M. A. Harrison, C. H. Hartsock, George N. Angle, John Layman, John Wolfert, J. W. Brown, C. A. Rice, Claud Cordry, C. C. Collins, T. D. Vansant and William Mida.