Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

 

St. Clair County MO Homepage              Henry County MO Homepage

 

St. Clair County Missouri Biographies

Biography Index

 

SECTION W

 

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L 

M   N   O   P   R   S   T   U   V   W   Y

 

WAGNER, George
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1209
--- GEORGE WAGNER, farmer and stock raiser, section 17. The subject of this sketch is one of the prominent men of Speedwell Township and one worthy of mention in the history of this county. He is a native of Germany and was born January 28, 1826. When but four years old he was brought to America by his parents, who located at Petersburg, Virginia. George there received the benefits of the common schools, and in 1842 he went back to Germany, where he entered the Heidelberg University of Baden-Baden. There he took a thorough course in surveying, engineering and jurisprudence, learning the Greek, Latin and Hebrew languages. He was graduated from that institution in 1847. Returning to Petersburg, Virginia, he was engaged in ornamental gardening, at which he accumulated a large amount of wealth. This was all lost during the war. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service and was made regimental quartermaster of Roger A. Pryor's regiment, and after a short time was promoted to brigade quartermaster, which position he filled for eight months. After that time he filled the position of first assistant chief quartermaster of General Longstreet's corps until the surrender of General Lee. After the close of the war he remained in Petersburg, Virginia, for eighteen months, when he went to Kingman County, Kansas. He was occupied in farming and raising stock till 1878, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he now has 320 acres of land, eighty acres in Vernon County and 320 acres of good farming land in Kansas, and he is one of the most practical farmers of this county. In 1874 he was elected probate judge of Kingman County, Kansas, which office he held four years. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In February, 1849, he was married to Miss Caroline Bloom, a native of Virginia. She died in 1878, leaving five children: George, Herman, William, Caroline and Louisa. He was married again in July, 1881, to Mrs. Mary J. Price, of Ohio. Her maiden name was Russell. Mr. and Mrs. W. are members of the Baptist Church.

WALKER, David
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1187
--- DAVID WALKER, farmer, section 17, a native of Darke County, Ohio, was born January 7, 1842, being the son of Alexander and Catherine (Sheppard) Walker, natives of Virginia. David was the fourth child of a family of ten children. In 1856 his parents moved to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he arrived at manhood, engaging in farming and stock raising. His farm is well improved and contains 120 acres. His fine residence was built in 1881. Mr. W. was in the Missouri State Militia during the late war. February 23, 1864, he married Miss Frances Kellerinan, who was born in Indiana May 9, 1842. They have seven children: William, Anna B., James P., Mary E., Charles, Minnie A. and Cora.

WALKER, John
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1187
--- JOHN WALKER, farmer, section 21, was born in Miami County, Ohio, May 12, 1834. His father, Alexander Walker, a native of West Virginia, was a son of James Walker, a Virginian by birth and a soldier in the war of 1812. The maiden name of John's mother was Catherine Sheppard, originally from Maryland. John was reared in Ohio and was educated in the common schools. In 1856 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since followed farming, now owning eighty acres of good land, well watered, etc. Mr. W. has held a number of township offices, among which are those of trustee and constable. September 18, 1856, he was married to Miss Mary Riegel, a native of Ohio. They have nine children: Sarah A., Jacob A., Nehemian, Lydia, John L., James M., Oliver S., Rudolph and Nellie M.

WALLACE, P.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1223
--- P. WALLACE, farmer, section 7, was born in Hancock County, Indiana, November 22, 1850. His father, John J. Wallace, a native of North Carolina, was married to Miss Eliza Sergeant, of Indiana, who now lives in Bates County, her husband being deceased. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the county of his birth. When about seventeen years old he came to Missouri and located in Bates County, where he lived until 1875, then coming to his present location. Here he now has a farm of 160 acres. He was married February 5, 1873, to Miss Naomi F. Fleemer, who was born in Monroe County, Indiana, July 30, 1853. She was a daughter of Samuel and Mary (Hendricks) Fleemer, the former of Indiana, and the latter of Kentucky. The family of Mr. W. consists of two children, Minnie and Eva. They are members of the Christian Church.

WARDEN, Samuel Adams
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1100
--- SAMUEL ADAMS WARDEN, attorney at law, is the fourth of a family of nine children born to Samuel and Loretta (Richards) Warden, natives of Pennsylvania. Samuel was born in Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1838. He received a practical education in youth and when seventeen years of age was employed as a clerk in a store, where he remained two years, and during his leisure hours read law. He subsequently took a commercial course in bookkeeping and was employed as a bookkeeper in Chicago and St. Louis, but the business being too confining he went to Cooper County, Missouri, in 1866. The following three years he was interested in agricultural pursuits. Having early formed a desire to become a lawyer, he resumed the study of law, and in 1869 was admitted to the bar by Judge Rice in Cooper County. In 1871 he opened an office in Sedalia and lived there ten years. In May, 1881, he removed to Osceola. Mr. W. was married June 4, 1862, in St. Louis to Miss Virginia E. Fisher, a daughter of W. P. Fisher, a native of Virginia. Mrs. Warden died December 22, 1882, leaving two children: William Fisher and Beverly S. Mr. W. is a prominent member of the Greenback party and he started the Labor Greenback Advocate in Sedalia, the first paper of its kind in the state. He has rendered his party efficient service as a forcible and effective speaker. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W. lodges.

WARNER, Philip
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1141
--- PHILIP WARNER, section 11, a native of Washtenaw County, Michigan, was born February 28, 1858, and is a son of Abraham and Barbara (Layer) Warner, who were natives of Germany. Philip spent his youth on the farm at his birthplace, receiving a common school education. In the fall of 1870 he came to Missouri and bought land and settled in St. Clair County. Here he has a farm of eighty acres. Mr. Warner was married in this county September 17, 1878, to Mrs. Mollie Ruebush, a widow of Joseph Ruebush, and a daughter of Henry R. Holden. She has one child by her former marriage, Thomas Ruebush. Mr. and Mrs. W. have two children, Birdie B. and Harry T. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.

WARREN, William Wilcox
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1100
--- ELDER WILLIAM WILCOX WARREN was born in Boyle County, Kentucky, June 25, 1837, and was the son of Dr. William W. Warren, who was born in Kentucky, in 1808, he being of English ancestry. He received a liberal education, and was graduated at the Transylvania University of Kentucky. After practicing for some time he went to Mississippi, and in 1843 came to Missouri and settled in Lafayette County. He died in 1876. He married Miss Maria S. Speed, of Kentucky, who was of Scotch descent. They had nine children, of whom William was the third. He received an academic education, and in 1859, he came to St. Clair County and taught school, and he has been engaged in this occupation for many years. In 1867 he commenced preaching and in 1868, he was ordained by the Christian Church and since that date has been an active minister. He owns 700 acres of land and lives on section 14. Mr. W. married Miss Mary E. Coonce, in March, 1862. She was the daughter of Jacob Coonce, the first settler to make a home in St. Clair County in 1831. They have five children: Bailey and Wirt (twins), Mary P., Willis K., and Henry Jacob. In politics he is a Democrat. He has held the office of county school commissioner. He is a Mason and a member of the A. O. U. W. fraternity.

WAYMIRE, Andrew
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1205
--- ANDREW WAYMIRE, blacksmith at Roscoe, is a native of Warren County, Indiana, and was born October 29, 1828. He is a son of Isaac and Rachel Waymire, who were natives of Ohio. Andrew was the fourth of a family of nine children. When ten years of age he accompanied his parents to Buchanan County, Missouri, where he was reared to manhood, and he was engaged in farming in Missouri and Iowa till 1859. Then he worked at the gunsmith's trade in Iowa till 1868, when he removed to Arkansas, becoming occupied at the trade of blacksmith for three years. He worked in Lawrence County, Missouri, till 1874, when he came to Roscoe, and has since been interested in blacksmithing. Mr. Waymire was married December 1, 1846, to Miss Malissa Barrow, of Kentucky. They have five children living: Huldah, Maria, John, Charles and Albert.

WEBER, H.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1101
--- H. WEBER, the son of Anton and Catherine G. Weber, natives of Baden, Germany, was born in Alsace, Germany, January 9, 1851. He received a good practical education in his youth, and learned the trade of shoemaking. In 1873 he emigrated to the United States and settled in St. Louis, working at his trade in that city three years. Then he went to Clinton, Henry County, from whence, after working two years, he removed to Osceola and opened a shop. He owns a good business building, carries a complete stock of goods and is doing a successful business. Mr. Weber married Miss Louisa Morelly March 10, 1878. She is the daughter of Charles Morelly. They have two children, Charles and Florence. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Politically he is a Republican, and in his religious preferences a Catholic.

WELLS, John E.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1206
--- JOHN E. WELLS, hardware merchant at Roscoe, was born in Carroll County, Missouri, September 22, 1857. His parents were Daniel W. and Margaret (Craven) Wells, the former a native of Illinois, and the latter of Missouri. When John E. was an infant he was taken by his grandfather to Clay County, Missouri, where he was reared and educated. In 1875 he removed to Harrison County, Missouri and clerked in a store there, and then in Gentry County till 1878, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he followed school teaching till the spring of 1883, when he engaged in the hardware business. He is a member of the M. E. Church, South, and belongs to the I. O. G. T.

WHALEY, John Calvin
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1101
--- JOHN CALVIN WHALEY, M.D., comes of old revolutionary stock. His great grandfather, James Whaley, born in Virginia, removed to Kentucky at an early day. He served in the revolutionary war, and furnished his hired man with a horse and paid him a salary for service in the same cause. Edward Whaley, the son of James, came to Kentucky with his father when thirteen years old. He married and settled in Bourbon County, Kentucky. In 1819 he located lands in what is now Marion County, Missouri. He entered these lands at the first land sales in St. Louis in 1821. Albert Whaley, the father of John C., and Polly Bird were married December 21, 1826. The doctor's grandfather came to Missouri with his family and slaves in 1821 and improved the lands he had previously located. He was the first county surveyor of Marion County and a member of the first grand jury. The subject of this sketch was born in Marion County, Missouri, December 16, 1838, and was the seventh of a family of thirteen children. He was reared on a farm, and received a good practical education at McGee and St. Paul Colleges. After leaving school he taught for seven years in Texas. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army at the call of Governor Jackson and was commissioned a first lieutenant. After the battle of Lexington he was appointed adjutant to Colonel Franklin with the rank of captain, and he served in that capacity until wounded and captured near Bragg's School House in Shelby County. He was confined at Palmyra, St. Louis and Alton and succeeded in making his escape. He rejoined Price's army in Mississippi and became a volunteer aid to General Green in the Iuka Springs expedition. He went to Texas on important duty, and after the surrender he went to New Mexico and the mountains. In 1866 he was at Waco, where he engaged in teaching school and pursuing his medical studies. He commenced his professional career in Clernard County. In 1869 he removed to Arkansas, near Fayetteville, and practiced there until 1875, when he came to Osceola, where he has since been actively pursuing his chosen profession. In connection with Mr. G. W. O'Conner he is largely interested in stock raising. Dr. W. was married in September, 1867, to Mrs. B. Deckerd, widow of B. Deckerd, who was killed in a battle in the Red River expedition. Mrs. W. has three children by her former marriage: Hugh, Ben and Bettie. Dr. and Mrs. W. have one son. Politically, the doctor is a Democrat, and he is also a Mason.

WHEELER, J. W.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1141
--- DR. J. W. WHEELER, merchant at Johnson City, was born in Dearborn County, Indiana, September 7, 1844, his parents being Captain Piercy and Jerusha Ann (Holiday) Wheeler. In July, 1862, when in his eighteenth year, J. W. enlisted in the Ninety-first Indiana volunteer infantry, and after nine months service he re-enlisted in the 105th regiment. After four months in this regiment he again re-enlisted in the 147th, and served till discharged in June, 1865. After his discharge he returned home and attended school at Moors' Hill College for two years and received a good education in the English branches. In the fall and winter of 1867 and 1868 he took a course of lectures at the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College. Coming to Missouri in the spring of 1868, he commenced the practice of his profession at Hudson, Bates County. The following year he came to St. Clair County and located at Johnson City, and has since continued in the practice at this place. The Doctor has built up a large patronage and is accounted one of the most successful physicians in the county. He engaged in the drug business in 1870, and in 1878 he added a complete stock of general merchandise. He is identified with the Republican party; was elected township collector and collected the tax for two years. He owns about 1,300 acres of land in St. Clair County, about 600 acres of which are improved, besides considerable town property and land in Cedar County. He is extensively occupied in feeding cattle and hogs for the market. The doctor is a man of good business habits and qualifications, and has made what property he owns since coming to the county. He was married here December 8, 1870, to Miss Ariadnah Isabelle Peck, a daughter of John W.. Peck, of Greencastle, Indiana. They have two children: Glennie F. and Harry P. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.

WHITE, Charles M.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1125
--- CHARLES M. WHITE, of the firm of White Bros., druggists, is a native of Cedar County, Missouri, and was born April 15, 1855. When he was four years old the family removed to Morgan County, Missouri, where he was reared to manhood there also receiving his education. When seventeen years old he engaged in the drug business as clerk at Versailles, Missouri, where he remained one year. Then he held a like position at Otterville, Missouri, for two years. He subsequently went to Bonham, Texas, and after residing there one year, returned to Missouri and for two years made his home at Pilot Grove. Then he embarked in the drug trade at Houstonia, where he carried on business two years. The following year he spent as a commercial traveler for a Sedalia house. He removed to Colorado and was engaged in mining from the spring of 1879 to the spring of 188i, when he came to Appleton City, and with his brother purchased their present stock of drugs. They are now doing an excellent business.

WHITE, Robertson
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1150
--- ROBERTSON WHITE, farmer and stock dealer and the owner of 500 acres of land, was born in Sussex County, New Jersey, June 13, 1813. He was the son of John White, of New Jersey, and his grandfather was born in Scotland, His mother was formerly Jane Robertson, daughter of Robert Robertson, of New Jersey. John White was in the war of 1812. He had a family of twelve children, of whom four sons and two daughters are now living. In 1815 the family moved to Guernsey County, Ohio, and thence to Muskingum County, where they remained for many years. In 1836 Robertson went to Knox County, Illinois, entered a farm and improved 160 acres. In 1850 he took a trip to California, working in the mines while there. In 1861 he moved to California with his family, and after remaining two years, the climate not agreeing with his wife's health, he sold out and returned by way of New York, arriving in Knox County May 1, 1864. In 1866 Mrs. W. died, leaving five children: Aaron, Henry, George, Francis and Hattie. In 1867 he married Charlotte Ramboe, of Pennsylvania, a daughter of George Ramboe. By this union they have five children: John, Stella, Elizabeth, Theodore and Stephen A. Douglas. Politically he is a Democrat. Mrs. White is a Presbyterian. He is a Mason. He now resides on section 32.

WILKINSON, T. E.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1187
--- T. E. WILKINSON, farmer, section 11, was born in Warren County, Tennessee, February 28, 1836. His parents, Charles and Malissa (Cantrell) Wilkinson, were natives of South Carolina, and his great grandfather was a general in the Revolutionary war. When T. E. was about two years old the family moved to Missouri and located in Crawford County where they resided until he was sixteen years old, then going to Gasconade County. There he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the common schools. He followed farming in that county until 1870, when he came to St. Clair County. His present farm contains 170 acres of land. Mr. W. is a member of the Baptist Church and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. November 25, 1860, he was married to Miss Sarah Walton, a native of Missouri. They have five children: Elizabeth M., George W., Mary M., Eliza B. and John T. They have lost two children.

WILSON, John S.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1151
--- JOHN S. WILSON, dealer in general merchandise at Chalk Level, was born in Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri, January 26, 1848. and was a son of Dr. Joel Y. Wilson, a native of Kentucky, whose father, John D. Wilson, was a Virginian by birth and of Irish ancestry. The mother of John S. was formerly Mary Burch, a native of Virginia. John S. was the eldest of a family of six children. He grew to manhood in his native county and was there educated, being for many years engaged as clerk in different localities. He was for three years conductor on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. In 1880 he located in Chalk Level, having previously been engaged in business at Appleton City for two years. He now carries a stock of drugs and other articles of merchandise and is doing a good business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Wilson was first married to Miss Fannie Campbell, a native of Missouri, who died August 4, 1870, leaving two children: Annie and William Y. He was again married February 8, 1873, to Miss Annie Van Allen, originally from New York.

WINCHESTER, Josephus
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1142
--- JOSEPHUS WINCHESTER, section 4, was born August 4, 1815, in Guilford County, North Carolina, his parents being William and Margaret (Witty) Winchester, natives of the same state. In 1830 the family removed to Kentucky and located in Callaway County. Josephus, the second son of five sons and seven daughters, spent his youth on a farm in that county, and was married May 14, 1839, to Miss Nancy Ann Rayburn, a daughter of John Rayburn. She was a native of Stewart County, Tennessee, but removed to Kentucky when a child and there grew to maturity. Mr. Winchester, after his marriage, resided in Kentucky about eleven years, coming to Missouri in 1850, and locating in St. Clair County. Here he bought land and improved the farm where he now resides, it containing 300 acres with about 100 under fence. He has nine children: Newton L., Eliza J. (widow of S. Hoover), Melinda (wife of C. Weir), Emily (wife of Lee Carroll), Rebecca (wife of D. L. Herndon), James J., Margaret (wife of C. S. Reding), William W. and E. C. Mr. and Mrs. Winchester are members of the Baptist Church. The former belongs to the Masonic fraternity.

WINGFIELD, John S.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1178
--- JOHN S. WINGFIELD, was born in March, 1816, in Virginia, his parents being Christopher and Nancy (Stockton) Wingfield, also Virginians by birth, who were married in 1814. The former was born in 1788, and the latter in 1793. John S. the eldest of ten children, was brought up in the county of his birth, and lived at home principally until his marriage, in 1847, to Miss Harriet M. Bondurant. They have had ten children: Mary F, Christopher T., Millard F., Nancy J., Sarah E., Susan L., Charles P., Harriet M., and James M., and of this number three have died. In 1859 Mr. W. came to St. Clair County, locating in Collins Township, where he has since lived, gaining for himself an enviable reputation. The Republican party, recognizing his ability, nominated him for the position of county judge, but the Democratic party being in the majority, he failed to be elected. Mr. Wingfield's farm, one of the best to be found in the eastern part of the county, consists of 210 acres on the Weaubleau Creek.

WINTERS, Alonzo C.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1188
--- ALONZO C. WINTERS, plasterer at Lowry City, was born in Pike County, Illinois, March 20, 1858, and was the son of Benjamin B. and Emeline (Cobb) Winters, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of New York. Alonzo was reared in his native state and was there educated. His father was a plasterer by trade and the son worked with him in Illinois until 1877, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. March 13, 1881, Mr. Winters was married to Miss Lula Gracy, a native of Indiana. They have one child, Irving B. Mr. and Mrs. Winters belong to the M. E. Church.

WISNER, John A.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1164
--- JOHN A. WISNER was born May 3, 1837, and was a native of Canton Basel, Switzerland, where his parents, Adam and Catharine Wisner, were also born, the former in October, 1811, and the latter March 23, 1817. They were married April 6, 1836, and had seven sons and six daughters. and of this number two sons and three daughters have died. Emigrating to America in 1843, they first settled in Virginia, purchasing 100 acres of land and remaining upon it for four years. In 1847 Mr. W. sold this property, went to Sciota County, Ohio, and three years later removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he bought a forty acre tract. After residing in Iowa about six years, he came to Cooper County, Missouri, in the spring of 1859, and in 1860 to St. Clair County. He bought 160 acres of land in this township, but in two years exchanging places. secured one of 170 acres in Osceola Township, where he lived until his death, July 30, 1871. His widow now resides with one of her sons in this township. John A. Wisner, our subject, was married April 1, 1860, to Miss Lora Clark, of Van Buren County, Iowa. They have eight children: Joseph, born January 29, 1861; Sarah, born September 1, 1862, (wife of George W. Garrison, of this county); Martha A., born March 20, 1864; Laura and Lora, (twins) born April 29, 1867; Jessie, born December 17, 1869; Jeremiah, born May 16, 1872, and Adam Clark, born January 30, 1875. In 1866 Mr. Wisner purchased a farm of eighty-two acres in Polk Township, upon which he still resides. In 1876 he was nominated and elected to the position of magistrate, and was re-elected in 1878 and again in 1880, still holding that office. Mrs. W. and five children are members of the M. E. Church. He is a Democrat.

WONACOTT, P. B.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1198
--- P. B. WONACOTT, school teacher, was born in Cass County, Illinois, in 1853, and was the son of K. B. Wonacott, who was married in 1841 to Margaret Bell, of Virginia. They were the parents of eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the eighth in number. He remained at home until at the age of twenty-three years, when he entered school at Weaubleau Institute, remaining there for two years, and then left thoroughly prepared for the duties of teaching. On May 9, 1848, Mr. W. married Miss Nannie J. McConnell, daughter of Joseph McConnell. They have two children, Maggie and Lawson. He is a Greenbacker in his political faith and a member of the M. E. Church. He is at present teaching school in this township.

WOODALL, I. M.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1102
--- I. M. WOODALL, county treasurer and one of the most worthy and popular officials of St. Clair County, was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, in May, 1845, and was the son of Christopher Woodall, of Virginia, who came to this state in 1840. The mother of I. M. was formerly Margaret Simms, who was born in Virginia, and died in 1847. Mr. W. died in 1858. They left six children, of whom our subject is the youngest. He made the best use of his limited opportunities for acquiring an education in youth. He now owns a farm of 265 acres on section 21, in Collins Township. He was collector under the township organization, and has been a leading citizen in the township and county for many years. In 1882 he was elected county treasurer, and entered upon the duties of his office January 1, 1883. He enlisted in the Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, Company M. for two years, and was mustered out at Springfield, Missouri, July 17, 1865. Mr. Woodall married Miss Minnie Fletcher in 1867. She was the daughter of Nathan and Sarah (Barnett) Fletcher, of Georgia. They have four children: John D., William, Sarah Margaret and James Francis. Mr. W. is a Democrat and a member of the Baptist Church.

WOOLF, John J. C.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1171
--- JOHN J. C. WOOLF was born in Caldwell County, Kentucky, on the 20th of June, 1817, his father being Alfred Woolf, of the same county, born July 26, 1784. He was married in 1812, his wife, a Kentuckian by birth, having been born in 1786. John J. C. Woolf was united in marriage in 1836 to Miss Ellen Bigs, a daughter of Elisha Bigs, of the same county as himself. Soon after emigrating to Missouri, he located near Warsaw, Benton County, and upon living there for two or three years, in 1840 came to St. Clair County and settled, where he now resides, upon Weaubleau Creek. By his first marriage he had one child, a son, Henry Clay, now living in Livingston County. He was married a second time, in St. Clair County. to Miss Elizabeth Stealy, daughter of Jack Stealy, July 20, 1840. His third wife was Sealy M. Wade, to whom he was married in 1876. In 1856 Mr. Woolf purchased a mill on Weaubleau, known as Woolf's Mill, and successfully operated it during the war and after for twenty years. During the course of the civil war he remained neutral, taking no part on either side, and by his uniform courtesy and gentlemanly bearing was unmolested. He is now the owner of 1,080 acres of very fine land situated in the bottoms of Weaubleau.

WRIGHT, C. W.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1157
--- C. W. WRIGHT, merchant at Iconium, is a native of Washington County, Kentucky, and was born August 14, 1851, being the son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Wright, who were married October 11, 1831. The former was born October 14, 1806, and the latter October 11, 1813, and they were the parents of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, of whom all but one son are living. C. W. Wright attended the State Normal Institution at Warrensburg, Johnson County, Missouri, where he received a good education, and after leaving the school was engaged in teaching for a few terms. In 1877 he accepted a situation as salesman at Lowry City, the style of the firm being J. P. Wright & Co., in which capacity he served for three years. Being desirous of engaging in business on his own account, he selected a site, and for eighteen months has been enjoying a fine general merchandise trade, in the southern part of this township. His present place of business was opened January 6, 1882. His stock is a complete one, and he richly merits the success which has thus far attended his career. He is acting as magistrate and is very popular in this community.

WRIGHT, Edwin
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1210
--- EDWIN WRIGHT, farmer and stock deafer, section 5, was born in Licking County, Ohio, June 10, 1840. His parents were William S. and Samantha (Stedman) Wright, natives of Massachusetts. A colony had emigrated from Granville, Massachusetts, and located in Licking County, Ohio, when William Wright was about six years of age, hence the name of Granville, Ohio. Edwin was reared and educated in his native county, and there engaged in farming till 1859, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he resided till 1861, then returning to Ohio. He went from there with a number of men and enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Missouri, which was afterward changed to the Twenty-second Ohio. He remained in service fourteen months, holding the position of corporal. In the fall of 1863 he went to Coles County, Illinois, and in the summer of 1865 came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since followed his present occupation, having a landed estate of 880 acres. His farm is one of the best improved in this vicinity, and upon it is located a commodious and convenient residence, and one of the best barns in the county. On his farm is a number of medical springs, equal to those of Eldorado, his nearest trading point. He has also a very fine stone quarry equal to any in the state. July 27, 1864, Mr. Wright was married to Miss Fannie Bartlett, a native of Indiana. She was born in February, 1843, being a daughter of Charles and Emeline Bartlett, the former of New Hampshire and the latter of Kentucky. The family of Mr. and Mrs. W. consists of three children, Charles E., Maud and George S.

WRIGHT, George W.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1188
--- GEORGE W. WRIGHT, merchant at Lowry City, is a native of Washington County, Kentucky, and was born July 4, 1844, being the son of Morgan Wright, a Kentuckian by birth, whose father, William P. Wright, was one of the pioneers of Kentucky, and a revolutionary soldier. The mother of George W., formerly Elizabeth Hickerson, was also born in Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was the sixth of a family of nine children. He grew to manhood on his father's farm, and was educated in the common schools. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Morgan's company, and was in the service until 1863. After this he returned to Kentucky and followed farming until 1865, when he began the study of medicine with Dr. J W Wright. He read with him one year, and then attended one course of lectures at Miami Medical College at Cincinnati. Returning to Kentucky he remained until 1870, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. In 1871 he built the first business house in Lowry City, and engaged in trade. He carries a full stock of drugs, groceries, etc., and is doing a good business. He is also proprietor of tile Wright House, an excellent hotel. Mr. W. was township clerk six years. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. fraternity. November 21, 1872, he married Miss Jennie G. Shinn, of this county. They have three children, Lillia, Minnie M. and Franklin P.

WRIGHT, James Polk
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1188
--- JAMES POLK WRIGHT, M.D., was born in Washington County, Kentucky, December 23, 1844. His parents were Nathaniel and Matilda (Moore) Wright, natives of Virginia. James Polk grew to manhood in his native county and there received the advantages of the common schools. He was engaged in farming till 1866, when he embarked in merchandising in High Grove, Kentucky, and at the same time was occupied in reading medicine with his brother, Dr. J. W. Wright. After this he was graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky. In 1871 he located at Lowry City, where he has since been interested in the practice of his profession, and he is recognized as being one of the leading citizens of that vicinity. He Is also the senior member of the firm of J. P. Wright & Co., merchants of Lowry City. He belongs to the Baptist Church, and also to the Masonic fraternity. December 14, 1879, Dr. W. was married to Miss Emma Hubner, a native of Ohio. They have one child: Walter E.

WRIGHT, John W.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1157
--- DR. JOHN W. WRIGHT, was born December 20, 1836, in Washington County, Kentucky. His father, Nathaniel Wright, was born October 14, 1806, and on October 11, 1831, married Miss Elizabeth Parker, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Parker, she was born October 11, 1813, in Culpeper County, Virginia. John W., the second child and oldest son in the family, received a good education in youth, attending the Georgetown College at Georgetown, Kentucky, where he graduated in the class of 1861. Entering the Medical College of Kentucky at Louisville, he graduated in 1863, and in 1864 was a graduate from the Louisville University, having been a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of that institution. He first commenced the practice of his profession at Louisville, but after remaining there one year, went to High Grove in 1865, where he had an extensive patronage for four years. April 1, 1868, he married Miss Amanda Rouse, a daughter of William A. and Amanda Rouse, of Bullitt County, Kentucky, and they have two daughters: Nancy A., born April 19, 1869, and Matilda B., born August 28, 1875. In 1870 Dr. W. purchased a tract of eighty acres of land in Jackson Township, St. Clair County, Missouri, and devoted some attention to agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock. He added, from time to time to his original purchase until he is now the owner of 1,200 acres of excellent land, several hundred acres of which are under fence and well adapted for fine stock raising to which he is giving considerable interest. In 1880 he represented this county in the state legislature and since his return has resumed his practice, which is very extensive and constantly on the increase. The doctor is a man well versed in his profession, kind and gentle to the sick and affable in his manners. He belongs to both the A. F. & A. M. and A. O. U. W. fraternities. Politically he is Democratic.

WRIGHT, Nathaniel P.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1165
--- NATHANIEL P. WRIGHT, M.D., a native of Washington County, Kentucky, was born May 1, 1849, and was the son of Nathaniel Wright of the same county. born October 14, 1806, who on October 11, 1831, married Miss Elizabeth Parker, who was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, October 11, 1813. Of their original family of twelve children eleven are now living: Elizabeth V., John W., Amanda F., Missouri, James K. P., Kitty H., C. W., Alice A., Anna E., Albert S., and of this number the subject of this sketch was the fifth son and eighth child. One son, Thomas J., a graduate of the medical college at Louisville, died in his native state. Nathaniel P., was educated at his birthplace, and also an attended the medical college at Louisville, where he graduated in the class of 1875-76. In 1868 the senior Wright, with his family, emigrated to St. Clair County, Missouri, settling first in Jackson and later in Polk Township. The Doctor was married November 1, 1876, to Marietta Sheldon, daughter of Albert B. and Eliza (Gardner) Sheldon, of this township, They have three children: Leo S., born December 6, 1877; Julia, born August 27, 1879; and Ethel, born January 9, 1882. Though commencing his practice against a strong and well established competition. Dr. Wright has met with flattering success, and to a patronage which he richly deserves, it extending beyond the limits of St. Clair County, into Hickory and Benton. The first mill in this locality was erected on a part of his present farm. He owns 350 acres of land and has had great success in the raising of wheat. He is a member of the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, Henry County, and also belongs to the A. F. & A. M., and A. O. U. W. fraternities. Politically he is a Democrat. His wife is connected with the M. E. Church, South, of Bear Creek.

WRIGHT, William P.
source: 1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg: 1156
--- REV. WILLIAM P. WRIGHT, pastor of the Wright Creek Baptist Church, was born in Lincoln County, Missouri December 15, 1830, his parents being William Wright, originally of Washington County, Kentucky, born in 1808, and Ann (Thomas) Wright, also a Kentuckian by birth, born in 1812. They were married in 1830, and have seven children living: William P., Elizabeth P., Morgan, Martin V., Nancy J., Milton F., and Henry F. One son, Thomas J., died in June, 1875. Coming to Missouri the senior Wright settled in Lincoln County in 1830, and after remaining there four years moved to this county (then Rives) and located in Jackson Township, where he entered eighty acres of land from the government. In 1840 selling out he bought 160 acres in Butler Township, but disposed of this in 1849 and purchased eighty acres in this township, where he remained until his death, February 15, 1854. Mrs. Wright, after being a widow for two years, married James Addington, of this county, and died in 1867. The subject of this sketch when a boy had limited advantages for acquiring an education, and being a great lover of books he was determined to prepare himself for a life of usefulness. While applying his mind to mathematics and somewhat to the sciences, he took a deep interest in the study of the Bible, and later became well versed in its truths and doctrines, which he at once put in practice. He was licensed to preach in 1854, and in 1855 was ordained a Baptist preacher by Revs. Peter Brown and James Cole, of this county. Since his ordination he has been pastor of different churches, and has been occupied in missionary work, in the old path association. His farm in section 8 contains 160 acres. He is actively engaged in farming and has done much surveying, being well learned in the principles of that science. His wife and five of his children are members of Wright Creek Church. Mr. W. married Miss Elizabeth Crabtree, of Benton County, December 18, 1850. They have eight children living: Columbus born October 24, 1851, and died August 31, 1852, Missouri A., Andrew E., W.