Holt County, MO Biography
Henry ROSELIUS, farmer and merchant, is one of the leading
citizens of Lewis township. His father, John H. ROSELIUS, was
the first permanent settler of that township. Henry was born in
the Kingdom of Hanover, near the city of Hanover, Germany on Oct.
1, 1838. The family immigrated to America in the fall of 1840,
landing at New York City. From there they went to New Orleans,
then up the Miss. River to St. Louis, and thence by river to Weston,
Platte Co., Mo. where they obtained a wagon. They came on up to
the northwest part of Holt Co., where there were no other settlers,
and there the family made a home in the wilderness. This was on
section 1, township 62, range 41 (the plat map shows this to be
on the Mo. River, about 2 miles southwest of where the town of
Corning was later established). The family was alone there until
the fall of 1842, when the DANKERS and PETERS families arrived
to keep them company.
Henry ROSELIUS attended the first school ever taught in Lincoln
township kept by a man named KEESER, hired by Mr. ROSELIUS' father,
Henry DANKERS and Andrew BUCK. However, he obtained most of his
education on his own. He farmed with his father until his father
died in the spring of 1868. He then farmed and traded in stock.
In Dec., 1876, he established a store at Corning as a member of
the firm, "ROSELIUS & HOGREFE." This firm does the
principal mercantile business in Corning. He still farms and owns
700 acres of land, all but 40 acres lying in one body in Lincoln
township. His residence is on the farm, a fine frame dwelling.
He was married in June, 1861 to Mary SCHMUTZER of Holt Co. He
has three children; Edmond, Henry, and Minna. He was at first
a Republican and voted for Lincoln in 1864. He has now acted more
commonly with the Democratic party, but always voting as he considers
best for the country and state.