HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

Philip P. G. Carty

Philip P. G. Carty, son of Joshua and Charlotte (Mallow) Carty, was born January 18, 1838, in Reynolds County, Mo., but which was at that time Washington County.  The father, Joshua Carty, was a native of Kentucky, but has no definite knowledge of the exact locality of his birth, but thinks he was born near Bowling Green.  He immigrated to Missouri between the age of fifteen and sixteen, and settled in what was afterward known as Reynolds County.  His wife was born in Virginia, and immigrated to this State many years ago, making the trip across the country in a wagon, and first landed in St. Louis when that city was but a village and was settled principally by the French.  She remained there but a short time, when they went to Boone County, where they remained for a number of years.  They then went from that county to Washington Co, or Iron County as it is now called, where she was married to Joshua Carty.  Their son, Philip P. G. Carty, was married on march 4, 1858 to Miss L. Black, daughter of George and Mary Black of Reynolds Co., MO and both of whom are now living.  Mr. Black being seventy-four years of age and his wife seventy-three, and both natives of Kentucky.  To Mr. and Mrs. Carty were born ten children: Josuah J., George W., Andrew C., Philip D., Mary C., Sarah E., James H. (dead), Margaret C., Thomas S., and an infant who died unnamed.  Mr. Carty was county judge in Reynolds County for six years, and received his commission from Gov. Fletcher of Missouri, in 1866.  He has been a farmer all his life, and owns 165 acres of land, 120 being under cultivation.  He and Mrs. Carty are members of the Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also a member of the Farmers' Alliance.