HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

J. G. CLARKSON

J. G.CLARKSON, one of the county judges of Iron County, was born in Middlesex Co., Va., July 8 1826, and is the son of Joseph and Susan (Games) Clarkson, both natives of Essex County, VA., and both of English descent.  The paternal grandfather, James, was born in England, and came to America during the Revolutionary War as a soldier.  He settled in Essex Co., Va. and worked at his trade, weaving, which he had learned in England.  He died in Essex Co., Va. at a ripe old age. He reared seven sons, all now deceased.  His son Joseph was a farmer by occupation, and grew to manhood in Essex Co., Va. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, and was quite young at that time.  He moved to Washington County, Mo., in 1867, and there died in 1871.  He was the father of three sons and five daughters, two sons and two daughters now living:  James, Joseph G., Matilda and Virginia. Joseph G was reared on a farm in Fluvanna Co., Va. and there remained until seventeen years of age, when he engaged in the sawmill and lumber business, which he carried on in Virginia, until the spring of 1861. He then enlisted in the Second Missouri Cavalry, Col. Radford’s regiment, and served four years.  He was in the battles of Manassas, Fredericksburg, Richmond and the Wilderness.  He was captured in Loudoun Co., Va., and was taken to Washington City, where he was kept a short time, and then taken down to Fortress Monroe, when he was exchanged. He then joined his regiment, and served until the close of the war.  He had the misfortune to have his right foot broken by his horse falling upon it.  He was courier for Gen. Wickam for some time, and while in the service in the Shenandoah Valley, having been sent up to remove a station flag, he became witness of the battle of Shenandoah Valley, without being in danger.  It was a grand sight.  Mr. Clarkson was the man who carried the message to Gen. Jackson.  He expected to accomplish this during the night, but the sun was up before he arrived.  In 1866 he immigrated to Washington County, Mo., where he engaged in the lumber business until the spring of 1871, when he came to Iron County and has resided there ever since.  He also has followed the lumber business at this place, and still continues.  He was married in the fall of 1866 to Miss Nannie Covington, a native of Essex Co., Va., and to them were born three children: J. Walter, Lillie and Joseph G., Jr.  Mrs. Clarkson died in 1875, and in 1878 he married Miss Lizzie Covington, a sister of his first wife.  To this union were born four children, two now living: George W. and Rosser.  In 1884 Mr. Clarkson purchased the Arcadia flouring mills, which he still owns and carries on.  He has a beautiful residence in Arcadia, and has also a store, which he runs in connection with his mill.  He also owns 400 acres of fine farming land in the Arcadia Valley.  In 1880 Mr. Clarkson was elected county judge, and has held the office ever since.  Mrs. Clarkson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.