HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

H. M. COLLINS

H. M. Collins, proprietor of a livery stable at Ironton, is a native of Iron County, Mo., born June 20, 1855, and is the son of George W. and Tabitha A. (Harris) Collins, natives of Kentucky and North Carolina, respectively. They were the parents of seven children, four now living: Artemissa, Narcissa. Florence and Hartford M. The last named was reared in Washington Co., MO., in the village of Potosi, where he received a good education in the public schools, and also attended the Irondale Academy two years. He was but three years old when his father died, and he remained with his mother until fourteen years of age. He then engaged in mining for four years, and in 1876 he engaged in the livery business at Bonne Terre, St. Francois Co., where he remained for five years. He then moved to Pilot Knob, engaged in the same business for three years, and from there moved to Ironton, where he is still in business. He keeps a first-class livery barn and good horses, vehicles, etc., at reasonable rates. He owns the buildings he is now occupying and, besides this, several houses and lots in Ironton., He was married March 2, 1885, to Miss Emily Schmitz, a native of Iron County, and to this union have been born two children, one now living: Emma Ethel. Mr. Collins is at present one of the city aldermen.