HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

DR. T. R. GOULDING

Dr. T. R. Goulding, a successful practitioner of Iron County, was born in the city of Lincoln, England, in March 1818, and is the son of William and Elizabeth (Pillsworth) Goulding, both natives of England.  William Goulding was a farmer by occupation, and was a great worker in the reform of 1832.  The last twenty years of his life were spent in retirement, and in writing.  He died at Gainsburgh County, of Lincoln, England, as did also the mother, he in 1842 and she in 1847. They were parents of three children, George (who was killed in the battle of Bull Run), William (deceased) and Thomas R.  The father had one child by his first marriage, which is now living and is ninety-eight years old.  George Goulding, brother of our subject, was the first settler of Milwaukee, and ran the first hotel at that place. Dr. T. R. Goulding was reared in the city of London where he obtained a good education, graduating at King's College.  He then went into the British navy as assistant surgeon, and was wounded at the battle of Acre St. Jean D', on the Mediterranean Sea, November 3, 1840.  He served four years in the navy, then took passage at Liverpool, in 1847, and sailed for New York, thence to Milwaukee, Wis., where he practiced his profession until the spring of 1849, when he went to St.Louis and there engaged in the practice of his profession.  He has been married three times, his first wife Elizabeth Pyecroft, he married in 1846.  One child, who died at sea, was born to this union.  In 1865 Mr. Goulding married Miss Mary A Richardson, who bore him two children, Richard and Naoma.  In 1881 Mr. Goulding took for his third wife, Miss Sophronia Nifong, of Fredericktown.  To this union was born one child, Nellie.  After remaining in St. Louis until 1868, Mr. Goulding moved to Ironton, where he has since resided and where he has had a successful practice, being an excellent physician.  He owns a beautiful home on the side of Shepherd Mountain near Ironton.  He is now building a hospital near his residence.  This is made entirely of solid stone, and has nine rooms.  It will soon be finished and as soon as completed he will turn his attention entirely to the hospital duty.  On a terrace between his residence and hospital are three stone statures: Venus, Minerva and Diana, nine feet high, weighing 5,000 pounds each, mounted on granite pedestals six feet high (100 feet above the valley), the work of Leon D. Pomerede, artist.  In 1861 he enlisted in the Federal service, First Iowa Cavalry, and served until May 1864. He went in as assistant surgeon, and in a short time was promoted to first surgeon, but soon after resigned, and was given a majorship in the First Missouri Cavalry.  He was mustered out in 1864, and was appointed assistant adjutant general of the State, serving in that capacity until the close of the war.  He has been since the war, United States examining surgeon.  He resigned when Cleveland was elected but was appointed again inside of a week.  The Doctor has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1846, and his wife is a member of the Christian Church.