HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

Belle Lay

Mrs. Belle Lay was born June 28, 1847, and is the daughter of William H. and H. B. (Goodwin) Coleman. The father was a native of Virginia, and when a young man immigrated to Missouri, settling in St. Louis County, about twenty miles from the city which at that time, was but a small village. His wife was born in Fayette County, Ky., and was the daughter of Lloyd E and Mary (Graves) Goodwin. Eleven children were born to them. Seven now living: Mrs. C. V. Locker, Lizzie, Mrs. D. G. Blakely, Mrs. Lay, Mrs. Jennie Field, Mrs. Frank D. Terry and Lillie. Those deceased were named: Ella, Jessie Josie, and an infant not named. September 19,1867 Miss Belle Coleman was untied in marriage to Mr. Henry C. Lay, in St. Louis County. Mr. Lay was born and reared in St. Louis County, and was the son of John and Charlotte (Walton) Lay. During his whole life he followed the occupation of a farmer. After his marriage he removed to St. Francois County and there remained for about eighteen months, when he removed to Randolph County, and there remained seven years. They then came to Iron County and settled where Mrs. Belle Lay now lives, and where Mr. Lay died September 29,1879, at the age of forty-one. Their family consisted of five children, all now living: Daisy, Willie, Stephen, Etta and Harry. Since her husband's death, Mrs. Lay has continued to carry on the farm work, and by judicious management, self-reliance and industry has acquired a nice property, having a farm of 242 acres, 200 under cultivation. Mrs. Lay received a good education in the public schools of St. Louis, and afterward finished at Bonham's Young Ladies Seminar, but never quite finished her course. She is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and at one time was a member of the Good Templars. On this farm has been found, what is supposed to be an excellent class of marble.