HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

James Lovelace

James Lovelace, mill owner and farmer, was born in Middle Tennessee, in 1845, and is the son of P. M. and Sarah (Dunegan) Lovelace, who were natives of the same region.   They moved west, however, and thinking to better their prospects, located in Wayne County, in 1855, where he followed farming together with the care of a grist-mill at Patterson, that county.   He died in 1878, leaving a family of seven children: James, Manuel, Lowry, Vira, Caroline, Lucy and Dora.   James Lovelace remained at home until maturity, and was given fair educational advantages. He was married in 1875 to Miss Alsie Fenton, a union which has resulted in five children living: Johnnie, Minnie, Nellie, Tommie and Ora.   He was in the Confederate service a short time but soon returned to his chosen pursuits.  In 1885 he built a saw mill in which he annually produces from his lands about 10,000 feet of pine lumber, for the St. Louis and Kansas markets.   Previous to engaging in the saw milling business, he made dome money in the contracting.   He is also the owner of another saw mill besides the one mentioned, thus having two.   Mr. Lovelace owns about 1550 acres of timber land, and is one of the largest farmers in Iron County, owning five large farms under an excellent state of cultivation.  His hill lands have deposits of mixed iron and lead with some silver, and are said to be well worth developing.