HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

DR. J. R. MCKINNEY

Dr. J. R. McKinney, son of William and Sarah (Randolph) McKinney, was born in Owen County, Ky., November 20, 1813.   The father, William McKinney, was born in Virginia, in 1786 and the mother, Sarah (Randolph) McKinney, was a native of New Jersey, came with her parents to Kentucky, and settled in Jefferson County, where she married Mr. McKinney, in 1906.   Their marriage license was issued by the first clerk ever elected in Jefferson County.   The grandfather, James McKinney, was born and reared in Virginia, where he married Mary Bettie, but more familiarly known as Aunt Polly.   Of the eleven children born to their union, none are now living.   They were named as follows: William, Archibald, John, Michael, George, James, Catherine, Rachel, Margaret, Elizabeth and Mary.   The grandfather moved to Kentucky, settled in Henry County, and there remained until 1825, when he removed to Butler County, and there passed the remainder of his days.   He died in 1830, and his widow of nine years later. To William McKinney and wife were born five children, two now living, Dr. J. R. and David. The three deceased were named Harriet, Harrison and Mary.   The mother of these children died, and their father then married Miss Elizabeth Morton, of Albemarle County.   Five children were also born to this union, four now living: James W. Lavenia W., William M., and Laura. The one deceased was named Frances.   Dr. J. R. McKinney was but an infant when his mother died, and he was taken by his grandparents and cared for, until his twelfth year, when he went to live with his father, who, in the meantime, had married the second time, and was living in Butler County, Ky.   He worked on the farm, and attended the common schools, until his eighteenth year, after which he taught school one year, and in 1833, he professed religion and joining the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.   In 1834 he took his academic course at Little Spring Academy, and again taught school one year, reading medicine at the same time.   In 1835 he entered the office of Withers & Wilson, as a regular medical student, reading under them two years. He then took a medical course at Louisville, in 1837, graduating in 1838 and beginning to practice in the fall of the latter year at Sugar Grove, Butler County, where he had a successful practice for four years.   March 15, 1842, he married Miss Martha T. Johnson, of Kentucky, and one year later they moved on a farm in Warren County, Ky.   At the breaking out of the war, in 1861, Dr. McKinney entered the Confederate service as a surgeon, and shared the fortunes and misfortunes of the lost cause, until the close of the war.   In 1866 he moved to Iron County, Mo., and settled in Belleview, where he now lives.   The Doctor, by his marriage, became the father of these children: Mary E., Richard J., Theodore F., William T., Walter S., John R., H. H., David J. and L. D.   An infant son, H. S., died in 1858.   The Doctor practiced but little after coming to Missouri, but shortly afterward retired from the profession.   Since that time he has been engaged in Agricultural pursuits, and owns 460 acres of land, but has divided with his children.   The Doctor has been a member of the church for fifty-five years, and his wife has been a member forty-seven years.   He is a Mason, and has been a regent of the State Normal School at Cape Girardeau for the past eight years, missing but one meeting in the meantime.   The great-grandfather of the Doctor, in company with two brothers, immigrated from Ireland at an early day, and settled in the old State of Virginia, where the Doctor’s father and grandfather were born. The Grandfather served during the Indian wars.   His son, Michael, while associating with them, learned the Indian language so that he could speak it readily.