HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

WILLIAM RUDDOCK

William Ruddock was born September 12, 1839, in St. Clair County, Ill., and is the son of John C. and Annie (Yearsleg) Ruddock.  The father was born in Springfield, Mass., and immigrating westward, settled near Belleville, in St Clair County, Ill., where William Ruddock was born. His mother was born in Newcastle County, Del., but came back to Illinois when quite young, settling near Belleville, where she married John C. Ruddock, who was a very successful farmer. William Ruddock, subject of this sketch, married Miss Emma R. Coale, a native of the city of Baltimore, Md., but who was living in St. Clair County at the time of her marriage.  She was the daughter of Jeremiah and Catherine Coale, who, at an early day had removed to Belleville, St. Clair County, Ill., where she was married to Mr. Ruddock in 1864.  To them were born four children, two now living: John C., named after his grandfather Ruddock, and William. Mr. Ruddock lived in Macon County, Ill., until 1883, having moved there from St. Clair County, in 1863, where he worked on his fatherís extensive farm for a number of years.  In 1883 he came to Iron County, Mo., where he has since lived.  During his residence in Macon County he was elected to the office of collector of revenue, which position he held for a period of two years.  He is now school director in his own district, which position he has held almost since his first settlement in the county.  He is also a member of the Farmersí Alliance, and by that organization was elected president of Lodge No. 120, Cedar Grove, which office he has held since its organization last August.  Mr. Ruddock owns 309 acres of land, 100 acres being under cultivation.