HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

CYRUS RUSSELL

Cyrus Russell, a prominent pioneer of Arcadia Township, was born in Connecticut in 1819, the son of Col. Cyrus and Rebecca (Pease) Russell, also natives of Connecticut.  The father was born in 1795 and in his youth served in the State Militia.  In 1816 he married, and in 1838, with his family, came by team to Pittsburgh, and then by water went to Missouri, to the southeastern part.  Here he entered 1,000 acres of land, most of which he improved, and was among the first citizens of that region.  He held official positions most of his life, and although he was a member of the Congregational Church at first, he afterward became a Presbyterian, and was an organizer of the church at Ironton.  He died in 1860.  His children are Henry (deceased), Cyrus, Theodore P., Giles, William, Maria R. (now Mrs. Capt. John Smith), Flora A. (now Mrs. A. B. Guild), Frances H. (now Mrs. Dr. N. C. Griffith) and Harriet (now Mrs. Farrar).  The mother died in 1870. The subject of this sketch attended school in Connecticut, a student with Frank Blair and Donald S. Mitchell. He lived with his parents in Missouri until 1849, when he returned east and was married.  In 1851 he located where he now lives and engaged in farming and carpentering, which has occupied him ever since.  He helped build the old seminary at Arcadia, among other buildings.  During the war he was taken prisoner while a skirmish was being fought on his place, near which the forces camped. He was not a soldier, however not being accepted on account of ill health.  After the war he resumed farming, and held the office of registrar for several years.  Julia Dunham, his first wife, died soon after their marriage, and in 1853 he married Delia M. Clark, who was born in Connecticut in 1828.  Of eight children the following are living: Julia (now Mrs. Rev. E. P. Keach). C. Sanford, Ebenezer and Sarah.  Mr. and Mrs. Russell and family are member of the Presbyterian Church.