HISTORY OF SOUTHEAST MISSOURI

Biographical Appendix

  

FATHER L. C. WERNERT

Father L. C. Wernert, of the Arcadia College, was born in Alleghany City, Penn., November 3, 1852, and is the son of Joseph and Teresa (Schieb) Wernert, both natives of Germany.  They immigrated to America in their youth, and located in Alleghany City, where they were married and where they resided all their lives.  The father died in 1854, and the mother in 1869.  They were the parents of three children, only two are now living:  John who resides in Paw Paw, Van Buren County, Mich. and Lawrence C.  The father of these children was a contractor and builder, which trade he learned in the old country.  He put up quite a number of buildings in Alleghany City.  Father L. C. Wernert was reared in Alleghany City, Penn., and there he received his education.  He was employed in a dry goods store in that city for three years, and in 1868 he entered St. Francis Seminary, Milwaukee, Wis., and was ordained in 1876.  He was immediately appointed assistant to Father Hennesy, of Iron Mountain, and remained there until 1880.  He was then appointed pastor at Arcadia and surroundings.  This is one of the largest Catholic institutions in the State of Missouri outside of the large cities.  The school and church organization were both in prosperous condition.