HUGH L. MCELROY
The executive and financial ability of Young America is most aptly illustrated in the successful career of Mr. Hugh L. McElroy, whose experience in mercantile, real-estate and banking life stamps him as a man of varied resources.
He was born in Springfield, Washington county, Kentucky, in 1832. At an early age he evinced a decided preference for the mercantile business over the confinement of the school-room, and, during vacations, manifested his peculiar aptness in this line by making more successful sales in his father's store than older salesmen.
In 1846, when only 14 years old, he left school, and in connection with an older brother and a Mr. Rinehart, bought out the interests of his father and uncle. For 10 years the new firm did the most flourishing business in Springfield. In 1856 Mr. McElroy sold his interest in the store and engaged in the brokerage business, but after 18 months returned to mercantile life and continued in it until 1866. He then came west to Leavenworth and invested in cattle. This venture, like all his other enterprises, proved successful. In 1868 he located in Kansas City, then a town of about 5,000 inhabitants and still suffering from the effects of the war. Mr. McElroy soon comprehended the possibilities of the location, and quickly turned his attention to speculating in real estate. Possessing a thorough knowledge of the national banking system, having formerly been vice-president of the First National Bank of Springfield, Kentucky, his native town, he became one of the organizers and directors of the Kansas City National Bank - the second one organized in Kansas City. Since then he has officiated in this capacity in many others, viz: The Commerical National, organized in 1869, with L. K. Thatcher as president, the National Exchange, the Aetna National, the German American National, and is at present a director in the Metropolitan National. Although offered more prominent positions in a number of these banks, he has persistently declined, giving his attention to his own private business.
In his various transactions Mr. McElroy has ever displayed that integrity of character and purpose which has always commended him to the confidence of business men, and a judgment and knowledge which insures success. By nature he is modest and retiring, tender-hearted, and refined always shunning notoriety or ostentation. He was never a club man or fond of miscellaneous or fashionable society, but loves to entertain his friends in the old-fashioned, informal way.
In matters of charity he adheres to the Scriptural injunction of, “Let not your left hand know what your right hand doeth,” and very many could testify to his quiet generosity and kindness. Mr. McElroy is of Scotch-Irish Presbyterian descent. In politics he affiliates with the democratic party, but takes no active interest in political matters. He was married October 10, 1872, to Miss Mary Hardy, daughter of Major John G. Hardy, a prominent and wealthy citizen of Mercer county, Kentucky. They now reside in a beautiful home at 1512 E. 8th Street, where they dispense hospitality in true southern style.
This page was last updated August 2, 2006.