Perservance School 1897 - 1898
Sheridan School 1895 - 1896
Valley Dell School, Medoc, MO 1906 - 1907
Lewis Family Home Page has the following:
Kathy Sidenstricker has a NEW page!!! Take a look at
Jasper County, MO School Photos!
Photos of classes, yearbooks, and schools
can be submitted and/or viewed.
Amity School 1915
Carterville School Teachers
Carthage High School, Class of 1901
Photos from Carthage HS were kindly submitted by: Laure Jansen.
She has the original pictures, as well as calling cards, programs, and articles on some of the students. Please contact her for
Class Picture Charter Oak Students about 1920
Class Picture Charter Oak Students 1929
Class Picture Charter Oak Students February 1931
Class Picture Charter Oak Students October 1931
Duenweg School class of 1935
Irving School Students December 1912
Marion School, Carthage est. date 1925-1927
Picture of West Central Fifth Grade Students 1939
Picture of West Central Sixth Grade Students 1940
Early Schools of Jasper County
Alba: Earliest record of building is one built in 1870,
may have been an earlier one. Present building built 1907, was still
being used as grade school until recently, when Webb City built the
new Harry S. Truman building on the corner of D & 96 highways.
Part of Webb City School System since
1967. Alba, Neck City, Purcell consolidated in 1930.
Belle Center: Holding school in 1914 in church
building. Teacher named Jenkins. Located west of Joplin.
Blackberry: Building torn down; now home of Bob
Brick: Located 3 miles west of Webb City. Now Seventh
Day Adventist school.
Cave Springs: The first public school in the county.
Established on Center Creek near Sarcoxie in 1842. Also known as
"Teas" School after teacher, Samuel Teas.
Cave Springs: Located west of Joplin, near Kansas State
Line. Now the site of the present Farmers Chemical Plant.
Cedar Bluff: Located 4 miles north of Alba. Built
1860s, closed 1930.
Central City: Located Central City Road and West
Seventh St. from Joplin. The original school burned about 1929
and was rebuilt. After closing in 1950, has been used for
Coonfoot: Located 2 miles north of Alba. No starting
date. Was there in late 1880s, closed 1944.
Dixie: Closed about 1920.
Duenweg: Built about 1903/06 (one source says 1912).
Torn down in 1992.
Duquesne: Still being used. Part of the Joplin School
Enterprise: Located 2 miles west of Brick School;
closed 1944. Consolidated with Carl Junction. First called Peace
Church School; organized before the Civil War.
Galesburg: 4 miles n.w. of Neck City. Built middle
1800s. Second time built 1900. Closed 1964. New home of Harley
Gardendell: Located 1 mile east and 1 mile south of
Alba. Earliest record 1870. Closed and sold 1961.
La Grange: Established about 1850.
La Russell: Organized and known as Swindle School;
established 1870. Later consolidated with Sarcoxie in 1966.
Magoffin: Located in the area of Jasper. Holding school
Medoc: Located 6 miles n.w. of Alba-Purcell area. Built
in 1820s. Closed around 1950. Now a residence.
Mineral: Located 2 ½ miles south of Alba.
Established late 1800s; closed 1961.
Morning Star: Located 5 miles s.e. of Jasper. In
operation Fall of 1879. Closed 1949; students sent to
Bloomingdale School. Morning Star building later sold to Fairview
Friends Church and used as education building annex to
Neck City: Located n.w. part of city. Established early
1900s; closed 1930.
New Hope-North Fork-North Star-One Star.
Oakland: Building is presently being used as a
Pearl Hill: Located s.w. of Oronogo. Now is a
Pine: Located 2 miles north of Neck City. Built late
1800s; closed 1956.
Pleasant Valley: Organized 1868. Original district
divided in 1878/79; part of south of Center Creek became
Perservance. Pleasant Valley built new school in 1896.
Prairie Flower: Located 1 mile west of Webb City.
Preston: Located 2 ½ miles north and 1 ½
miles east of Alba. Town established 1860. New school built 1867;
Prosperity: Built 1907; closed 1962. Building still
Perservance-Pleasant Hill-Pleasant View-Possum Creek-
Prairie Dale-Prairie Hill-Prairie Star-Redwood-Round
Rising Sun: Established prior to 1880. Located 2 miles
s.w. of Jasper. Building also used at that time for worship
services. Land adjoined Ruddick Cemetery. United with Pleasant
Hill 1951 in Rising Sun building. Closed 1960 and acquired by
Rocky Mound: Located near Jasper, North Fork and Possum
(Jasper City History, Marvin Von Gilder)
Rosebank: Located 6 miles north of Alba. Built of rock
in late 1800s; closed 1960. Building still stands near
Sheridan: Organized in 1877. Located 3 miles s.w. of
Jasper. Closed about 1959 and acquired by Jasper.
Sherwood: Platted March 4, 1858; one acre set aside for
Stone: House now stands on grounds.
Summit: In 1872, had 62 students enrolled. Closed 1960;
students to Jasper.
Sunny Side: Located west side of Purcell late 1800s.
Purcell built south of Sunny Side in 1910.
Tower Of Light: 1 ½ mile s.w. of Purcell. First
established middle 1800s. Rebuilt in 1921. Purchased by church in
1952 and moved to the present church site.
Union Valley: Holding school in 1872. Closed 1960 and
acquired by Jasper.
Underwood-Union-Union Quaker Church School-Unity.
Valley Dell: Located 5 miles north and 3 miles west of
Alba-Purcell area. Built 1890s; closed 1950s. Building purchased
by Calvin Ridgeway and used to build a hay barn.
View Bank: Located 2 miles west and 2 miles north of
Neck City. Built late 1800s; closed 1952. District taken in by
Alba then consolidated with Webb City. The school was torn down
and a house built on same location.
Zincite: Located n.w. of Joplin. Building still
White Hall: Located 2 miles west and 1 mile north of
Purcell. Built 1873; closed 1949. Now a residence.
Schools organized by outbreak of Civil War:
Duvall: Located in n.w. part of the county.
Peace Church: Later Enterprise. Spring River.
Franklin: Located near Castle Rock on Turkey Creek.
White Oak was Avilla.
First school in Webb City was taught by Charles E. Harris,
First school in Carthage was a log house. It stood on a lot
about a quarter of a mile north and half-quarter west of the
public square. It was the only school house Carthage had until
the building of the Carthage Female Academy; organized in 1855 on
site of the Carthage High School.
This list of early schools was last updated Monday, March 1,
1999 by Claire Wichelmann. With
many thanks to Mary Ann Baker of the Webb City Genealogical
Society for sending these documents.
Page updated Monday, May 16, 2011
© 2004 - 2011 Renessa Wiggins