LACLEDE COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE I NAME
The name of the organization shall be LACLEDE COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
ARTICLE II - OBJECT
The object and purpose of this organization shall be:
1. To stimulate interest in the field of genealogy and local history.
2. To cooperate with and encourage those presently engaged in the field
3. To offer assistance to anyone locally, or in other areas, who has needs
of assistance in local research.
4. To compile, collect and make available all possible records of all
kinds, in any way relating to this area.
ARTICLE III MEMBERS
SECTION A. Any person may be enrolled as a member open receipt, by the
Treasurer, of payment of dues.
SECTION B. The annual memberships of the society shall consist of the
1. REGULAR MEMBERS - Those persons paying the minimum amount of dues annual
shall be known as regular members.
2. CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS - Those persons or organizations contributing
more than the minimum amount of annual dues; the amounts to be established.
SECTION C. PATRON MEMBERS — Any person or organization contributing
a greater amount than the two previous memberships.
SECTION D. HONORARY MEMBERS In recognition of service to the society or
the community, or recognition of a special achievement, an honorary membership
may be bestowed open recommendation of the official board.
SECTION E. DUES — The amount of the dues
for the various classifications shall be decided annually by the membership.
SECTION F. All dues shall be payable by the calendar year, in advance;
those not paying dues by *March 1st shall be considered delinquent and
shall be dropped from the rolls. A notice of dues not having been paid
shall be mailed by February 1st, of each calendar year, by the corresponding
ARTICLE IV - OFFICERS AND GOVERNING BODIES.
SECTION A.. The officers of the society shall be a President, Vice-president,
recording Secretary, corresponding Secretary and Treasurer.
SECTION B. In addition to the above officers, 4 directors shall be elected;
2 directors for a one year term, two detractors for a two year term.
SECTION C. THE EXECUTIVE BOARD shall be comprised of the elected officers.
SECTION D. THE OFFICIAL BOARD shall be comprised of the elected officers
SECTION E. Officers and directors shall be elected each November and take
office the following January 1st, to serve one year, or until the next
SECTION F. only members in good standing (having paid dues) shall be elected
SECTION G. At each October meeting, the president shall appoint four members
as a nomination committee, presenting their recommendations at the November
SECTION H When more than one nomination has been made for a given office,
the vote shall be by ballot, only members in good standing shall be entitled
to vote, proxy votes, properly endorsed, shall be allowed.
SECTION I. Vacancies on the official board
shall be filled by the remaining members, until the next election.
ARTICLE V. DUTIES OF OFFICERS.
SECTION A. PRESIDENT: Shall preside at all meetings of the society, of
the executive board and the official board; appoint such committees as
may be necessary and perform other fitting duties. The president shall
be an ox-officio member of all committees.
*** SECTION B. VICE-PRESIDENT.
(1) Shall preside in the absence of the president.
(2) Shall assist the President in various projects, as needed.
(3) Shall be responsible for getting programs for the meetings and setting
them up for each month.
SECTION C. RECORDING SECRETARY. Shall:
(1) Record the minutes of all meetings of the society and boards and keep
a record of all other matters as ordered.
(2) Shall keep a record of such events of interest as may be deemed worthy
(3) Shall work with the treasurer in maintaining a constant record
of the membership.
(4) Shall prepare a report of the society for the annual meeting.
SECTION D. CORRESPONDENING SECRETARY. Shall:
(1) Conduct the correspondence of the society not otherwise relegated
to individuals or committees.
(2) Shall give notice of meetings when deemed necessary.
SECTION E. TREASURER. Shall:
(1) Have general charge of all funds of the society.
(2) Keep a careful and accurate written record of receipts and disbursements
of the society.
(3) At each annual meeting shall make a written financial report of the
society; this report shall be previously audited by the audit committee.
(4) Shall pay all bills after authorization by the official board; previously
approval of a proposed project, shall automatically authorize payment
of bills thus incurred.
(5) **shall now mail the notices of dues payable on February 1st.
ARTICLE VI. DUTIES OF THE OFFICIAL BOARD.
The business of the society shall be managed by the official board. The
official board shall meet quarterly, at such time as so designated. Special
meetings may be called by the president or recording secretary. A simple
majority of the official. board shall constitute a quorum for any meeting.
ARTICLE VII. DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD.
Shall meet only as necessary for the supervision of special projects;
or handling special problems of the officers. The executive board shall
make recommendations for the amounts of the annual dues and such other
matters as deemed necessary for the welfare of the society.
ARTICLE VIII. MEETINGS.
SECTION A. The society shall meet monthly, unless otherwise decided; the
annual meeting to be the January meeting with reports to be presented.
SECTION B. Notices of all meetings shall be in the form of publicity in
Laclede County newspapers.
SECTION C. All meetings shall be open to the public.
*** SECTION D. Any officer that misses three (3) meetings in a row in
the year shall be replaced by the Board. The Board may consider extenuating
circumstances such as, illness or hospitalization.
Each officer is expected to give notice if they are not going to be able
to attend a meeting.
ARTICLE IX. PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY .
The organization shall be ruled by Robert’s Rules of Order (revised).
ARTICLE X. AMENDMENTS. Amendments of the by-laws
may be made at any regular meeting, upon recommendation of the official
board. Notice of such proposed amendments shall be given at the meeting
previous to the voting meeting. Amendments shall be approved by a two-thirds
AMENDMENTS TO THE BY-LAWS
* Article III - Section F - amended March 2002 - to change delinquent
data from May 1st to March 1st.
** Article V - Section E - item 5 was amended
from Section D - Item 2, in Nov/Dec 2002 - The Treasurer
shall now mail the notices of dues payable on February 1st - previously
Secretary had done this job.
*** Article V - Section B - Amended September
2010 - the word First was removed from the title of Vice
President and 2 additional jobs were added to the office of Vice President.
Article VIII - Section D - Amended September
2010 - this section was added to allow the Board of
to replace officers if they miss three meetings in a row and to set guidelines
in which officers
are expected to give notice if they are unable to attend a meeting.
Amended March 2002