Clapper station is located on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad, eight miles from Monroe City and fourteen from Paris, and is pleasantly situated on a beautiful prairie, surrounded on the south and west by the Salt river timber, and on the east and north by the fine young timber of Indian creek. The view is one of surpassing beauty, the prairie gently undulating, dotted here and there wit h orchards and ornamental groves, from which cosy farmhouses and barns appear in the foreground, all showing signs of thrift and the industry of the farming community. There are several Large stock farms in the vicinity. Among these are the farms of Thomas Tewell, who has as good stock as can be found in the State; also the Buckman brothers, who are raising fine stock by the quantity, and running the largest and best stock farm in the county. J. H. Jett, who owns a fine farm one mile from the station, is the stock dealer for this place, and has within the last three years shipped 100 car loads of stock.
Among, the fine farms lying contiguous may be named those of John H. Clapper, who has recently erected on of the largest and most commodious houses in this part of the county, and that of Col. William M. Priest, who owns, one of the best improved farms in the county, and for fertility the soil on his farm is unsurpassed. But space forbids giving a complete description of all the farms near by. Suffice it to say, there is no place that offers better inducements to the tiller of the soil than do the fine lands lying in the immediate vicinity of Clapper station.
Clapper station took its name from Mr. Henry Clapper, who was largely instrumental in getting the railroad built through this section, and out of respect, and appreciating his services, the citizens called the station by his name. (Mr. Clapper has since died.) The population is about 100; two stores, a blacksmith and wagon shop, all of which are doing a good business.
Indian Creek Township
Clapper Station is located on the M. K. & T. R. R. It took it's name from Henry Clapper, who was largely instrumental in getting the railroad built through this section, and out of respect and appreciation of his services, the citizens called the station by his name. The population was about 100; there were 2 stores, a blacksmith shop and wagon shop.
-Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets, Past and Present, of Monroe Co., Mo. , p. 158, 159
It was settled in 1870 and had 1 store; population about 30.
--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 380
It was situated on Sec. 6, Twp. 55 N., R. 8W on an unmarked county road east of V, west of Indian Creek.
-Gen. Highway Map of Monroe Co. (submitted by Robin Gatson)