New Madrid County,
was formed in
1812 as an Original District;
the county seat is
Point Pleasant in New Madrid County
- Point Pleasant: in New Madrid County, Missouri, USA.
Latitude: 36.4525 :
Longitude: -89.57444 :
Elevation: 290 ft
The old village of Point Pleasant was founded in 1815 by Francois Lesieur, the first settler of "L'anse a la graisse," and of "La Petite Prairie." He opened a store, which he conducted in partnership with his son Godfrey until his death in 1826. A hotel and store were also kept at this place by John Woodward. The formation of a sand bar prevented the landing of steam boats, and the business was transferred to the present --1889 -- town, about one mile below the original site. Here a wood yard had been established by Alphonse Delaroderie in 1817. The new town was laid off in 1846 by William Summers. The first buildings erected were warehouses, built by John Woodward and Pleasant Bishop. John J. Coe was the first merchant. Population 1889, 200.
(History of Southeast Mo., 1889, Goodspeed)
For years the town was an important and flourishing one. An academy chartered in the early days and all indications pointed to the place as designed for the site of a thriving city. Unfortunately for its inhabitants, the river began to encroach upon the town. At first the caving was just south of the main part of town. Gradually it extended up the river, until many of the houses had to be moved back. So rapidly did the bank cave in at times that it was almost impossible to save them. After several successive removals, the site was abandoned by many of the residents, who were attracted by the growth of Portageville, which began to acquire importance through the construction of the Frisco Railroad through it. These causes greatly reduced the population of Point Pleasant and the historic name is preserved by only a handful of houses.
(History of Southeast Mo., 1912, Douglas, Vol.)
Point Pleasant has a good location on the Mississippi River 10 miles below New Madrid, and contained an estimated population of 200.
It is a rural branch of Portageville P. O., and no longer actively incorporated. Population 115.
It is located at Sec. 19, Twp. 21 N, R. 14 E, at the junction of Highways M & K.
Towns and wide places in the road in
New Madrid County Mo