This township derived its name from the creek which flows in a northeasterly direction through the southeastern portion of the township. It is supposed that the creek was named Lake Creek, for the reason that it winds a sluggish course through the heavy soil, and form numerous bayous or small lakes. The organization of the township into a civil division of the county was effected under the township organization by order of the Pettis County Court, November 5 1872. It occupies the southeastern corner of Pettis County and it is bounded on the north by Smithton township, on the east by Morgan County, on the south by Benton County and on the west by Flat Creek township. It contains 36 square miles or 23 ,040 acres, just a congressional township.
In the northeast a high rolling prairie divide begins, and extends through the township to the southwest corner, in width averaging about four miles. This is the best agricultural portion of the township.
The principal stream of water is Lake creek, from which the township derives its name. Its sources are in Benton County, and it enters this county and township in section 33, flowing in a northeasterly direction; it leaves the township and county from section 1 emptying into Flat Creek. A branch of Lake Creek unites with the main stream from the south in section 14. Mosby's Branch rises near the center of the township and flows north and west into Flat Creek.
The prevailing physical feature is prairie, though somewhat broken along the creeks.
The first settlers: George Goetze, who formerly lived in this township, died in Kansas in 1881, at the age of 103 years. A few of the pioneers of the township are Jacob Seagraves who came in 1819 from Tennessee. Scott Gilmore came in 1832 from Virginia. Thomas Jack settled in this township in 1827, coming from South Carolina. William A Miller cam from Germany in 1819 and now rests in one of the burial ground of the county . Judge William Boeker also from Germany, came to the township in 1845. Herman Kahrscame from Germany in 1840. John Kahrs also came in the same year from the same place. John G. Bruhl was one of the early settlers. John A. Clausan came in 1843 from Germany. Henry Brauer came the same year and from the same place. Marshall Seagraves was born in the township in 1820 and was perhaps the first white child born in the township. Henry Weymerth came in 1840 from Germany. John Hook came here in 1825, from Virginia. Herman Mahnken was married to Margaret Ficken, on July 16 1846, In the Methodist Episcopal Church. Sebastian Bard was the first minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination. Dr. Bradford was the first physician in the township. In 1832, John Hubbard taught the first school on John Kahr's land. The first church erected was the German Methodist Episcopal, on land bought from Cord Miler.
The farms are of medium size, capable of producing all kinds of crops usually grown in this latitude. They are well fenced.
German Lutheran, German Catholic and German Methodists are the religious organizations of this township. The adherents of the Catholic faith are most numerous. The cemetery owned and used by the Catholics and Lutherans was located near the two churches.
St. Paul Church, Evangelical Lutheran of Lake Creek township was organized by Otto Kluechner in 1869. The early pastors were Revs. Ott Kluschner and Oscar Lumpe. The building is a frame structure and cost $1,200. The congregation was originally organized in Benton County but in 1879 they moved to Pettis.
Schools were taught here in an early day; the first was taught by John Hubbard on John Kahr's land. This, the first school of which any facts can be obtained was begun in 1832. The German Catholic school was taught in a house adjoining the church, and furnished accommodations for 25 to 30 pupils. The German Lutheran school was taught by Oscar Lumpe and had an attendance of about 12. The school was situated about 300 yards east of the Lutheran Church. The school in district No. 1 was taught by Miss Walkup. The school was called Lone Star. The school buildings were frame.
The township has good road but no railroad.
St. John Evangelist Catholic Church is said to be the oldest church in Pettis County, its records dating back to 1846. It is located 10 miles south and six miles east of Sedalia. Rev. Father F J Knoebbler is in charge at this time. Early priests in charge of this church were Rev. Father Geith, Schmidt, Heckler and Koaemer. The church building is a frame structure 34' by 75', Gothic. School in connection with the church has been abandoned. Church membership is of forty families. Bahner Cemetery adjoins the church.
The Lake Creek Methodist Episcopal Church, six miles south of Smithton, was established in 1843. The present church and parsonage are substantial frame buildings. They are the third set of buildings and occupy the third site since the class was organized. One of the distinguishing features of this church is its historic camp grounds where the hold a spirited annual camp meeting. Membership of church is 140, with Sunday school attendance of 90. Following is a complete list of ministers since foundation: Revs. Sebastian Barth, H. Neulsen, Conrath Eisenmeyer, William Schreck, H. Dryer, Jacob Fiesel, W. Niedemeyer, Dr. John Hausam, Peter Hellwig, H. Lahmann, Jacob Maeyly, P H Henker, H Holzbierlein, C Stueckmann, George Schatz, H Hankenmeyer, John P Miller, L H Milmer, William Fotsch, John Mayer, John Hausman, Daniel Walter, J H Dryer, H Koepsel, H H Hackmann, F H Wippermann, H E Rompel, Ernest Crepin, G Jaiser, G F Meyer, W C Wagner, and Oscar F Kettlekamp. Lake Creek Cemetery is located about a mile from the church.
The township has four public schools. They are well kept and well tutored. Ringen school enrolled 18 pupils this year, and Mary Griffin is teaching. Pacific School enrolled 22 and Regina Stadther is the teacher. Bunder Hill school has an enrollment of 32 this winter and Cecelia Harrison is the teacher. Lone Star School has an enrollment of 21 and Bessie Perkins is teaching the school.
Transcribed by Laura Paxton