Ref: History of Platte county, Missouri, 1885, page 807
J. E. Miller, superintendent of Elm Grove Baptist Church Sunday School
Ref: History of Platte county, Missouri 1885, page 956
J. Edgar Miller
Farmer and breeder and dealer of Hereford Cattle, Post office Platte City
The stock business in this county has come to be one of the most prominent industries within its limits, and to those who introduced it here much credit is due for the interest which they manifested in striving to promote what in later years has become a prominent feature of agricultural life. Greater credit, however, should be giventhose who have tried to make a speciality of fine stock raising, and with the latter class Mr. Miller is deserving a prominent place. He embarkedin this business in December 1882, with one fine male animal, until he now has a her of 25 excellent Hereford cattle, at the head of which is a fine two-year-old, the Duke of Marlow, registered in the American Herd Book as number 6500, bred by T. L. Miller, of Beecher, Illinois. In addition to this he has a number of young cattle, 3/4 blooded stock.
Mr. Miller was born in Rappahannock county, VA, February 3, 1847. His father was Capt. W. J. Miller, an extended account of whose life is given elsewhere in this volume. Young Miller was brought up as a farmer boy and received a good education, principally at Nebraska City.
In 1872, he went West to Colorado and was engaged in ranching there and in New Mexico and the Indian Territory until 1882. He achieved more than ordinary success in the stock business, but at the time above mentioned, disposed of his interests and retired, buying the old homestead of his father, a place of 200 acres of land in grass and cultivation; 60 acres in addition are devoted to timber. The necessary improvements which characterize the farmer of energy and progressive ideas might be found upon his place.
Mr. Miller was married in Danville, Kentucky, December 7, 1882, to Miss Susie E. Clarke, a daughter of Joseph and Jane T. (Clark) Clarke. She was born in Platte county, Missouri, but went to Kentucky in 1865, and remained there until her marriage. Mr. M. resides on Section 20 of this township. He and wife are members of the Baptist Church at Elm Grove.