Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

return to main page

“HISTORY OF SALINE COUNTY MISSOURI”
Biographies by township

Salt Pond Township

 

August Elsner, P. O. Brownsville. Son of J. and D. Elsner, of Germany, was born July 21, 1851, and at the age of sixteen entered a dry goods store as a salesman. In 1872 he came to the United States, and settled in Brownsville, in this county, and first engaged in business with J. T. Wilson & Marr. In 1876 entered into co-partnership with Ehlers in the general merchandise and grain business, and is the business manager of the firm. They enjoy a leading trade in the community, and have now been engaged in the grain trade for three years. Mr. Elsner was married June 25, 1879, to Miss Alice S. Gross, of this county. They have one child, Bernhard. Is a member of the Lutheran Church and of the I. O. O. F. His parents are still living in Germany. Two brothers have followed him to the new world. Page 857

C. J. Herring, P. O., Brownsville. The son of Jonathan and Cordelia Herring. Was born in Saline county, December 28, 1857, where he was raised on his father’s farm, and educated at the State University, Columbia, Missouri. His father came to this county in early times, and made a large fortune here, which was divided among his children. Mr. C. J. Herring came to Brownsville in 1873, where he owns some valuable real estate. In the fall of 1880 he engaged in the mercantile business, dealing in groceries and queensware, and is driving a prosperous trade. His father died April 14, 1879. Page 857-858

William Spurgin, P. O. Brownsville. William Spurgin, the son of Rev. Josiah and Mary Spurgin, was born in Davidson county, North Carolina, August, 1837, where his early life was spent on a farm. In November, 1843, his parents moved to Pettis county, and William went to work in a carriage manufactory at the age of eighteen years, and lived in Pettis county fourteen years. He then went to Dover, in Lafayette county, and then, after two years, moved to Collin, Texas. In less than two years he returned to Georgetown, Pettis county, where he continued in business about six years. After going to Lawrence county, Missouri, for about a year, he moved to Brownsville in 1867, where he has been in business since. March 28, 1861, he was married to Miss N. J. Glass, of Pettis county. She died in 1867; and on the 2d of February, 1869, he married Miss O. C. Reed of Saline county. They have three children living: Verdie, Minnie, and Charles. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the A. F. & A. M. and of the I. O. O. F.; also of the present city board. He served in the U. S. army three years and seven months as private, and as regimental smith. Page 858

Thomas G. Nelson, Steers & Nelson, P. O., Brownsville. Thomas Nelson, son of John B. and Elizabeth Nelson, was born August 25, 1846, in Cooper county, Missouri, where he was raised on his father’s farm, and educated. July 25, 1877, he was married to Miss Fannie Alkire, of Grayson county, Texas, receiving her education at the Female College, Booneville, Missouri. In 1875, Mr. Nelson left his father’s farm, and located in Brownsville, and engaged in his present business, that of saddlery and harness making. He is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the A. O. U. W. His parents were native Virginians, and he has a large and wealthy family connection in Cooper county. Mr. and Mrs. Nelson have two children: Bessie Lee and Nelly A. Page 858

William T. Sim, Sim Bros. & Spurgin, P. O., Brownsville. W. T. Sim is the son of Alexander and Ann Sim, and was born in Scotland, April 7, 1840. He was educated at Aberdeen, and his early life spent in his father’s carriage manufactury at Newcastle-on-Tyne, one of the largest carriage manufactories in Great Britain, and afterwards worked at the principal shops in London. In October, 1865, he was married to Mary Edridge, of London, and in the fall of the same year came to the United States, and first settled in South Carolina, where he remained several years, and then removed to St. Louis and stayed about eighteen months. He then went to southwest Missouri, and spent six years in farming. He then moved to Brownsville, in this county, where he established his present business. He had eight children, three of whom are living: Maggie, Walter and Alexander. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and also of the A. O. U. W. The firm is doing a prosperous business in Brownsville; and also have a large building on Lexington avenue. Alexander Sim was born November 27, 1832, and came to the United States in 1860, and has been engaged in the carriage manufacturing business all his life, and is now at the head of the firm of Sim Bros. & Spurgin. Page 858-859

John Lapsley Yantis, D. D., P. O. Brownsville. Was born September 14, 1804, in Lancaster, Garrard county, Kentucky, where he spent his early life, and was educated. His first intention was to become a physician, and he studied medicine for nearly two years. A change occurred that resulted in his abandoning the medical profession, and studying for the ministry of the Presbyterian church. He was licensed to preach in 1829, and ordained in 1832. The next year, 1833, he moved to Missouri, and spent the winter in Saline county. He then went to Liberty, in Clay county, and spent nearly two years there, thence to Columbia, in Boone county, and while there his father died. He then spent about five years in Fulton, Callaway county, and from there moved to Lexington, in 1841. In 1848 he moved to Brownsville, in Saline county, where he established a school, which he continued to manage until 1851. In 1852 he moved to Oregon, where he continued three years, and then returned to Missouri and established a college in Richmond, Ray county; after four years, 1859, he left Richmond and returned to Kentucky, where he continued about three years and then returned to this county and settled at Sweet Springs, where his family lived, he having purchased, in 1848, the eighty acres of land, including the Sweet Springs property, at $10 per acre, and built upon it. During the last two years of the war he preached at Kansas City and at Westport, Missouri. In August, 1866, he sold the thirty acres of land including the springs property to Leslie Marmaduke, for $10,000. In 1828 Dr. Yantis was married to Miss Eliza Ann Montgomery, of Stanford, Kentucky. They have had eleven children, seven now living; Mrs. Kate Y. Bean, Wm. L. Yantis, J. Marshall Yantis, Rev. E. M. Yantis, Mrs. Elizabeth Lapsley, Van Court Yantis, and James A. Yantis. Dr. Yantis is the oldest Old School Presbyterian minister in Missouri, and has several times been a member of the general assembly of his church. The college of South Hanover, Indiana, conferred on him the title of Doctor of Divinity. He has still a handsome property near the Sweet Springs. Page 859

John De Long, P. O., Brownsville. Was born in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, on the 7th of September, 1846. Son of Solomon and Emeline DeLong. Was raised on a farm and educated in the country schools, and learned the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade at Uhricksville, Ohio, and was in the employ of the Pittsburg & Cincinnati railroad, about three years. In 1867 he came to Sedalia, Missouri, and worked at his trade, and in 1869 came to Brownsville, in this county, and worked as contractor and builder four years. In 1880 he married Miss Mary Rembert, of Brownsville; one child, May, born in Uhricksville, Ohio. After the death of his first wife, in 1874, he was married to Miss Bettie Smith, of Brownsville, and of this marriage there are two children, Harry and Lulu. In 1875 he was appointed city marshal of Brownsville, and served until the spring of 1878, when he was elected for two years, and re-elected in the spring of 1880 for two years. In 1876 he arrested Robert Glass for the murder, in 1874, of Dr. Dickson, of Cooper county. During the latter part of the war, Capt Jim Smith organized a horse thief band, numbering about twenty, and operated from Iowa to Arkansas, every summer. In 1876 DeLong obtained a clue, went to work on it, and on the 20th of August, 1877, arrested Bill Coats in Lexington, Missouri, who "squealed" on the whole gang, and this led to the arrest of Capt. Jim, Thomas Bennett, Andy Brooksline, Jasper Highly, Gaines Staunton and Perry Hildreth. The remainder of the band skipped this county, and as no rewards have ever been offered by the state or county, they have never been brought to justice. In 1877 DeLong arrested John McCormick, a counterfeiter, and convicted him. In the same year he arrested Joe Casey, a negro burglar, who had robbed Dr. J. L. Yantis’ house, in Brownsville. In 1878, near Brownsville, he arrested on T. J. Mayse, who had robbed a merchant of New Lisbon of $1,000. Same year he arrested Andrew Wilfret, a burglar, twelve miles south of Brownsville. In the same year he arrested George Melton, for burglary in Brownsville, and also in 1878, he arrested W. O. Stigall, wanted in Grayson county, Texas, and was held, and taken on a requisition from the governor of Texas. Page 859-860

Benjamin T. Poe, P. O., Brownsville. Owner of the splendid 600 acre grass farm, Silver Maple; is the son of Alvin and Rebecca Poe, of Bowling Green, Kentucky, where he was born January 8, 1843, and when quite a boy came with his parents to Missouri and settled in the southern part of the state. He remained with his parents until the war broke out. In 1861 he joined the southern army, and in 1862 he raised a company and joined Hunter’s regiment. (See soldiers’ record.) When he returned from the war he was penniless. His father gave him a mule, which was soon after stolen from him. Mr. Poe is now one of Saline’s wealthiest and most respected citizens. He was married February 22, 1867, to Miss Pauline S. Beattie, daughter of James J. and Elizabeth Beattie, of Kentucky, and has three children: Florence Gertrude, James A., Lizzie Maud. Page 860

Jesse Marr, P. O. Brownsville. Son of Thomas and Mary Marr, formerly of Virginia. They came to Missouri when it was still a territory, and settled in this county in 1819, moving to Lafayette at an early day. Mr. Jesse Marr is the youngest child, and was born September 4, 1836, in Lafayette county, where he was raised and educated. In 1862 he joined Price’s army. He was married October 22, 1874, to Miss Louisa Harvey, daughter of Henry and Martha Harvey, of Washington City. Page 860-861

John W. Hibbs, P. O., Brownsville. Owner of a fine grass farm, Maple Hall. Is a native of Lafayette county, and is the offspring of John and Sarah Hibbs, of Hampshire county, Virginia, where he was raised, and educated at Georgia Creek Academy. When the south rebelled he sympathized with the Union, and at eighteen years of age he joined in the 18th Pennsylvania cavalry, under Sheridan. After the war he went to Virginia and lived two years, and then came to Missouri with his parents and settled in this county. On the 18th of December, 1873, he married Miss H. E. Gregg, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Gregg, of Kentucky, and has one child: Florence Hibbs. Page 861

James Evans, P. O., Brownsville. Is a native of Fayette county, Pennsylvania, and is the second son of David and Phoebe Evans of Fayette county. His father was a native of Wales. He was raised in Fayette county and educated at Smithfield, Pennsylvania. In 1868 he moved to Missouri and settled in Pettis county. The next winter he moved to this county, where he has since lived. In March, 1868, he was married to Miss Mary J. Hibbs, daughter of John and Sarah Hibbs, of Pennsylvania, formerly of Virginia, and has one child: Walter H. Mr. Evans is in partnership with J. C. Hibbs and owns the fine grain farm, "Locust Grove." Page 861

Robert T. Hibbs, P. O. Brownsville. Son of John and Sarah Hibbs, of Pennsylvania, formerly of Virginia. Was born August 18, 1848, in Fayette county, Pennsylvania, where he was raised on his father’s farm, and was educated in his native county. In 1868 he moved to Missouri, and lived a short time in Pettis county, and then came to this county and bought the fine stock farm, Maple Grove, where he has since lived. On the 11th of March, 1869, he married Miss Maria J. Logsden, daughter of Carrol and Martha Logsden, of this county, and has three children: Annie May, William Carrol and Maudie. Page 861

Charles and Leon Scott, P. O., Brownsville. Owners of the fine stock and grain farm "Scotland." Are the sons of John L. and Lucy T. Scott, of Kentucky, who moved to Missouri in 1830, and settled in Pettis county, then moved to Saline county in 1850. They were educated at Lapsley High School, Brownsville, in this county, where they graduated. They then settled upon the farm where they now live, and are running a large farm in connection with handling stock. Page 861

J. J. Gross, P. O. Brownsville. Son of Conrad and Salome Gross, who came to Bavaria, Germany, in 1830, to Illinois. In 1836 settled in DuPage county, where he lived until his death, which occurred in April, 1850, in his fifty-fourth year. Mr. J. J. Gross was born in Bavaria, March 27, 1830, coming the same year with his parents to America, and was raised and educated in Illinois. As soon as grown, he took a trip to California, and spent two years there. He returned to Illinois, and lived there twenty years, and then moved to Missouri, and settled in Saline county. On the 23d of December, 1852, he was married to Miss Eliza Meyer, of DuPage county, Illinois, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Meyer, formerly of Lancaster county Pennsylvania. He has eight children: John W., Alice S., Walter H., Lydia F., David W., Samuel J., Amelia M., and Edwin S. Page 861-862

John W. Ehart, P. O., Brownsville. Son of Robert and Mary Ehart, of Virginia and Kentucky, who were early settlers of this county, where John W. was born, in 1844, and where he was raised and educated. In the war he enlisted in the 1st Missouri cavalry, under Col. Shelby first, then under Col. Gordon. He served all through the war, came home and went to farming. At the age of twenty-two he was married to Miss Jane Owens, daughter of John H. Owens, of Saline county, and has three children: Wm. F., Josephine, and John. Losing his wife, he was again married, in 1878, to Miss Julia P. Kuntz, of Douglas county, Kansas, daughter of Henry and Mary Kuntz, and by this marriage has two children: Thomas E. and Roxy May. Page 862

A. Widder, P. O. Brownsville. Is a native of Cumberland county, Pennsylvania; born June 5, 1836, and is the son of George and Mary Widder of Pennsylvania. His early life was spent in his native state. In 1860 he moved to Illinois. In 1870 he came to this county and settled where he now is, his farm being mid-way between Mt. Leonard and Brownsville. December 16, 1857, he was married to Miss Martha Leitz, and has now eight children: Mary J., Ann D., George, William L., Jacob S., Edwin E., Franklin and Addie S. Mr. Widder is the largest poultry raiser and dealer in Saline county. He raises and deals in every variety of pure bred poultry, such as Buff Cochin, Partridge Cochin, White Cochin, Black Cochin, Dark Brahma, Light Brahma, Plymouth Rock, Houdan, Japanese Bantam, Bronze Turkeys, Toulouse Geese, Gray Chinese Geese, Pekin Ducks, Yellow Duckwing, Game, Golden and Silver Seabright Bantam, etc. Page 862

Godfrey Wermelskirchen, P. O., Brownsville. Owner of the fine woodland farm "Oakland." Is the oldest son of Godfrey and Annie Wermelskirchen, of Cologne, Prussia. They came to the United States and settled in St. Louis in 1846, where they lived four years, and then moved to Moniteau county. Godfrey, Jr., was born in Prussia, March, 1834, and came with his parents to St. Louis in 1846. In 1859 he came to Saline county. When the war came on he identified himself with the south, and joined Shelby, under whom he remained through the war. (See soldiers’ record.) On the 20th of February, 1867, he married Miss Ellen Norfleet, daughter of Madison and Mary Norfleet, of Kentucky. To his union were born four children: Archibald, Annie, Mary and Emma. Page 862-863

William Owens, P. O., Brownsville. Was born in Lafayette county, Missouri, January 8, 1828, and moved with his parents to this county in 1830, where he was raised on a farm, and educated in the country schools. At the age of nineteen he commenced life; and being without means, during 1847 and 1848 he teamed for the government. In 1849 he took the gold fever, and went to California across the plains, and mined there for three years. In 1852 he returned to Nicaraugua to Saline. In 1854 he engaged in merchandising, at Brownsville in this county, and in 1872 embarked in the banking business, and is now one of the most respected and solid men in the place. Mr. Owens was married, December 25, 1855, to Miss S. E. Bright, of Brownsville, and has had twelve children, eight living: Martha K., John H., Mary S., Helen, William, Pet, Charles, and Nellie. Page 863

William Chapman, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Chapman was born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, January 26, 1816, and is the son of Richard and Elizabeth Chapman. His father died in Kentucky. In 1837 he came with his brother to Missouri, and settled four miles west of Brownsville, where he entered 200 acres of land, on which he still resides, and is a fine body of farming land. Mr. Chapman was married, September 16, 1841, to Miss Rhoda Patrick, of Lafayette county. They had six children: James M., Thomas P. (deceased), William H., Mrs. Martha Maguire, John B., and William L., who died in infancy. His wife died December 29, 1862. He again married May 9, 1867, to Miss Elizabeth Patrick, of Lafayette county. Mr. Chapman is a member of the M. E. Church South. Page 863

James Graham, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Graham is the son of John and Barbara Graham, and was born November 14, 1828, in Summerset county, Pennsylvania. His early life was spent on a farm with his parents. In 1857 he came to Missouri, and settled in Saline county. The following year he built a saw-mill one mile west of Brownsville, on Blackwater. He shortly added two sets of burrs, and run the mill as a saw and grist-mill. He now runs it exclusively as a grist-mill, and has had frequently to run his mill night and day of supply the demand. The 40 acres of land where the mill now stands was entered about the year 1817, by Mr. Carpenter. Mr. Graham still owns the mill, and in connection 110 acres of good farming and pasture land. Mr. Graham was married November, 1853, to Miss Nancy Douglas, of Iowa. They have nine children living, and one dead. Mr. Graham is a member of the Christian Church, and has filled several offices of trust since he came to Saline. Page 863-864

J. K. Faris, P. O. Brownsville. Is the son of James and Clara Faris, and was born June 18, 1817, in Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, Shortly after his birth his parents removed to Cooper county, where he remained until 1850, when he removed to Saline, and settled near Brownsville, where he owns a good farm of 114 acres. Mr. Faris was married April 25, 1838, to Miss Jane Cassidy, of Cooper county. They have five children: Mrs. Catherine Davis, Mrs. Lucretia M. Aulgur, Mrs. Clara A. Williams, James A., Mrs. Mary J. Crowder. His wife died in 1870. He again married December 14, 1871, to Miss Fannie Adams, of Johnson county. Mr. Faris is a deacon in the Baptist Church. He is the oldest road overseer in the county; has served twenty-five years. Page 864

Louis D. Stanley, P. O., Brownsville. Was born in Kanawha county, Virginia, April 29, 1844, and is the son of Nathan and Sarah Stanley. His early life was spent at school. He came to Missouri in 1860, and settled in Henry county, on a farm, where he remained until the breaking out of the war, when he went to Jefferson City and enlisted in Capt. Royston’s company, Raine’s division, Owens’ battalion. He was in the battles of Prairie Grove, Oak Hill, and several other noted engagements. Mr. Stanley served through the entire war, but was wounded six times. After the war closed he went with Gen. Joe Shelby to San Antonio, Texas. He soon returned to Missouri and settled in Lafayette county, where he remained until 1871, when he moved within one mile of Brownsville, where he began farming and stock-raising. He owns 160 acres of good land. Mr. Stanley was married March 26, 1868, to Miss Louisa S. Hicklin, of Lafayette county. They have five children: Louis H., Nannie, Mary, Mattie, and Estelle. Page 864

George W. Tuthill, P. O., Brownsville. Was born December 27, 1835, in Alton, Illinois, and is the son of P. T. and Susan D. Tuthill. He was educated at Shurtleff College, in Alton. At the age of sixteen he entered a store, but soon after went to work in a printing office, where he remained until 1860, when he became local editor of the Springfield (Illinois) Daily Journal. In July, 1861, Mr. Tuthill enlisted in the 10th Illinois infantry, U. S. A. He was elected first lieutenant, but resigned on account of a disagreement with the captain. He was mustered out in August, 1864. He was engaged in the battles of Island No. 10, siege of Corinth, and Atlanta campaign. Mr. Tuthill was married December 1, 1859, to Miss Mary E. Winters, of Springfield, Illinois. They have five children: May V., George W., Jessie E., John E., and Henry L. Mr. Tuthill came to Missouri in March, 1871, and remained in St. Louis until December, 1876, when he went to Jefferson City, and took charge of the state printing, where he remained until August, 1864, when he moved to Brownsville, and began publishing the Herald, which he still continues. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. The family of Tuthills came from England to the United States in 1635, and settled in New York. Mr. Tuthill’s grandfather on his mother’s side was a captain in the revolutionary war. Page 864-865

Robert G. Ware, P. O., Brownsville. Was the son of Preston and Nancy Ware, and was born December 2, 1805, in Massachusetts. His early life was spent on the farm. At the age of sixteen he began merchandising, in which he has been engaged and principal part of his life. He came to Brownsville in 1842, and purchased 160 acres of land, adjoining the town on the south. He owns one-fourth interest in the Eagle flouring mills, and other valuable property in the city. Mr. Ware was married in 1829 to Miss Evelina Carroll, of Baltimore. They have four children: Evelina, Mrs. Virginia Simon, Mary L., and Robert G., Jr. Mr. Ware lost his wife March, 1866, and his daughter, Maria E., August, 1880. Mr. Ware owns valuable property in Baltimore, where he spends his winters. His grandfather served through the revolutionary war. He is of English descent. Page 865

William L. Crain, P. O., Brownsville. Was born April 1, 1832, in Pulaski county, Kentucky, and is the son of James A. and Catherine Crain. His early life was spent on the farm with his parents. He came to Missouri in 1855, and settled in Saline county, where he has been engaged in farming since that time. He now owns eighty acres in section 29, and eighty acres in section 30, township 49, range 22, of good farming and timber land. Mr. Crain enlisted March 31, 1862, in the Missouri state militia, in Capt. B. H. Wilson’s company, Col. John F. Phillips’ regiment. He was in the battles of Fayetteville, Arkansas; Jefferson City, Missouri; Booneville, Missouri; Big Blue, Missouri, and Mine Run. He was discharged as first sergeant, March 31, 1865. He was married January 7, 1874, to Miss Elizabeth J. Elliott, of Saline county. She died April 23, 1879. They had three children: Mary Eliza, Joseph Milton, and Charles Edward. He again Married January 8, 1880, to Miss Nannie P. Cundiff, of Saline county. Mr. Crain is a member of A. F. & A. M., and has served several terms as master of the lodge. He is also a member of the Baptist Church. Page 865

N. F. Andrew, P. O., Brownsville. The subject of this sketch was born January 31, 1812 in Randolph county, North Carolina, and is the son of William and Hannah Andrew. At an early age he learned the trade of cabinet making and undertaking. He went from North Carolina to Virginia, and remained there twelve years, working at his trade. In 1871, he came to Missouri and settled in Brownsville, where he still continues his business and enjoys a good trade. Mr. Andrews was married in 1839, to Miss Anna Stanton, of North Carolina. They have one child dead, and the following living: D. S., Mrs. Malinda Lamb, Mrs. Eugenia Redding, T. C. and Samuel. Mr. Andrew is a member of A. F. & A. M. His ancestry belonged to the family of Quakers. Page 865-866

William M. Hill, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Hill is the son of Marshall and Frances Hill, and was born April 21, 1844, in Todd county, Kentucky. His father died when he was quite small, and in 1854, he came to Missouri with his mother, and settled in Saline county. He now lives four miles southwest of Brownsville, where he owns 100 acres of good farming land. Mr. Hill was married August 31, 1870, to Miss Elizabeth Reavis, of Saline county. She died November 21, 1880. Mr. Hill has three children: Edward M., Bitie Ann and Junius T. He is a member of the Christian Church. Page 866

Christoph Brandt, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Brandt was born February 16, 1833, in Hanover, Germany. He is the son of Claus and Hannah Brandt. His early life was spent at school. In 1859, he came to the United States and settled in Benton county, Missouri, where he worked at the carpenters’ trade for four years, when he went to Lafayette county, and began farming. In 1869, he moved to Saline county, and settled on a farm three miles southwest of Brownsville, where he now resides and owns 130 acres of choice farming and timber land. Mr. Brandt was married August 2, 1862, to Miss Margaret Krenser, of Benton county. They have three children: Olive, John and Benjamin. Mr. Brandt is a member of the Lutheran Church. He served as soldier three months in the U. S. A. home guards, and three months as teamster. Was in the battle of Cole Camp. Page 866

John F. Weber, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Weber is the son of Henry and Elizabeth Weber, and was born in 1826, in Hanover, Germany. His early life was spent on the farm and at school. Came to the United States in 1844. He first settled in Maryland, where he remained for four years. He then spent several years in Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Wheeling and St. Louis. In 1869, Mr. Weber moved to Saline county, and settled two miles west of Brownsville, where he now resides and owns a fine body of 550 acres of choice farming land. Mr. Weber was married July 4, 18--, to Miss Louisa Vogt, of St. Louis. They have five children: Lena, John, Edward, Lizzie and Louis. Mr. Weber served in the Nineteenth Missouri E. M. M. for twelve months. He is a member of the Lutheran Church. Page 866

Charles L. Collins, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Collins is a Missourian by birth, having been born in Lafayette county, February 16, 1846. He is the son of Joseph B. and Louisa Collins. His early life was spent on the farm and at school. In 1851, Mr. Collins came with his parents to Saline county, and settled on a farm one mile south of Brownsville, where he now resides and owns about 600 acres of good farming and pasture land. Mr. Collins was married December 19, 1866, to Miss Lucretia Bullock, of Kentucky. She died September 25, 1878. Mr. Collins has two children: Cora Bell and Katie. Mr. Collins is a member of A. F. and A. M. He is a member of the firm of Collins & Johntz, Brownsville, Missouri. The firm do a large business, buying and shipping horses and mules. He is a man of energy and business habits. Page 866-867

John W. Wilson, P. O., Brownsville. Ws born in Washington county, Tennessee, in 1809, and in 1838 came to Missouri. In 1847 he was married to Miss Nancy Cowen, by whom he has three children: J. T., R. S., and A. P. He has been engaged in the mercantile business for thirty years, having been thus employed previous to the war in Bolivar, Polk county, Missouri. In the year 1870, he moved to Brownsville, in this county, and associated himself there, with his son J. T. Wilson, under the firm name of J. T. Wilson & Co., doing a general mercantile business. Their business has been improving steadily every year, and at this time, they probably carry the largest stock in Brownsville. Page 867

Philip P. Land, P. O., Brownsville. Was born in St. Clair county, Illinois, September 13, 1835, where he was raised on a farm. In 1871 he came to this county and settled in Brownsville, and engaged in milling. During the first year he spent $5,000 in improvements, and has continued to improve his mill every year. It has now all the modern improvements, and manufactures 170 barrels of flour per day. He handles about 250,000 bushels of wheat per annum, finding his market in the south, Texas, etc. Mr. Land was married in 1855 to Miss Elizabeth Jones, of Clinton county, Illinois. They have nine children living: Lyman T., Minnie, Lucy, Maggie, Moses, B. H., Laura, Edgar, and Olie. Page 867

Captain C. J. Miller, P. O. Brownsville. Captain Miller was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, June 16, 1822. Was raised as a mechanic and farmer, on his father’s farm, and received his education at the country schools. In October, 1838, he moved with his father to Saline county, Missouri, and settled in Salt Pond township, where he continued to work on his father’s farm until the Mexican war, when he volunteered in the company then raising in Saline county, afterwards company D, 1st regiment Missouri mounted volunteers, Col. A. W. Doniphan. Captain Miller was elected first lieutenant of this company, and served fourteen months, through the expedition to Chihuahua, and participated in the battles of Bracito and Sacramento. Returning, from 1848 to 1850 he engaged in merchandising, in Brownsville. In 1850 he went to California and made some money, working in the mines. Returned in 1851 and engaged in speculating in real estate. When the war broke out in 1861, he offered his services, which were declined on account of his wounds, received in the Mexican war. Afterwards entered the enrolled militia, and was captain of company E, battalion companies, of the 71st regiment, E. M., in 1863, and discharged in 1864. After the war he served two years as deputy sheriff. June 14, 1849, he was married in Saline county, and by that union has three children living: Robert W., James E. and Mary E., and two dead. The captain draws a pension because of wounds received in the Mexican war. Page 867-868

W. B. Knox, Central Hotel, P. O., Brownsville. The son of W. B. and H. G. Knox, was born in Knox county, Illinois, December 9, 1856. In 1868 he came to Missouri with his parents, and settled in Clinton, Henry county. He was educated at Galesburg, and at the age of eighteen went to Chicago and engaged in the hotel business, and remained there four years. In 1880 he came to Brownsville, and took charge of the Central Hotel, which is a large and commodious brick building, and, as the name indicates, is centrally located in the city. Mr. Knox is a member of the I. O. O. F. Page 868

Mason G. Brown, P. O., Brownsville. Cashier of the Brownsville Bank, is a son of John S. and Mary A. Brown, and was born in Pettis county, Missouri, December 21, 1842. He was educated at Salem, Pettis county, and his early life was spent on his father’s farm. At the age of nineteen he was employed as salesman for John T. Brown, of Sedalia, and continued as such for five years. He then moved to Brownsville, and embarked in the mercantile business, under the firm name of Brown & Buckner, and continued until 1875, when he withdrew, and became cashier of the Brownsville Savings Bank. November 27, 1866, he was married to Miss Mary E. Hurt, daughter of Ossimus Hurt, of Saline county. They have one child, Ernest M. he is a member of the I. O. O. F. Page 868

Samuel Drysdale, P. O., Brownsville. Was born in Lafayette county, Missouri, October 6, 1854, and is the son of Samuel J. and Balindia Drysdale. His early life was spent on his father’s farm, and educated at Lexington, Missouri. He began railroading in 1872. Was agent and operator in Lexington for 1872 to 1878, with the exception of the year 1876, when he held the same position at Atchison, Kansas. In 1879, he came to Brownsville, and took charge of that office as agent and operator. Page 868

W. H. Steers, P. O. Brownsville. Is the son of Rollins and Sarah E. Steers, and was born in Harrison county, Kentucky, June 18, 1833. In 1855 he moved to Missouri and settled near Brownsville, on a farm, until 1864, when he moved into Brownsville, and engaged in the saddlery and harness business, in which he has continued until the present, and has a large trade. He was married March 18, 1856, to Miss Mary A. Carmack, of Brownsville. They have four children: Oscar, Sarah E., Martha, and William. Is a member of the Christian Church, of the A. F. and A. M., and of the A. O. U. W. Page 868-869

Charles B. Buckner, Esq. P. O., Brownsville. Son of William G. and Sarah Buckner, was born January 6, 1859, in Pettis county, Missouri, and came with his parents to Brownsville in 1865. He was educated at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri. In 1878-9 he read law, and began the practice of the same in Brownsville, Missouri, in 1880. May 25, 1880, he was married to Miss Sarah Higgins, of Pettis county, Missouri. Mr. Buckner is quite a young attorney, but is a young man of fine business habits, and already enjoys a fair share of practice. Page 869

Talbot Hicklin, P. O., Brownsville. Son of James and Nancy Hicklin, was born in Lafayette county, Missouri, July 23, 1855, near Lexington, on a farm where his early life was spent. He spent some time in Colorado, and in Texas, and finally came to Brownsville, in 1877. Farmed one year north of Brownsville, then sold his farm, and in December, 1879, went to Texas for the winter, and after some months returned, and in April, 1880, went into the livery business in Brownsville, where he still is, and has a liberal share of the public patronage. December 28, 1876, he was married to Miss Alice Hagood, of Lexington, Missouri. They have one child: Rosa. He owns a house and lot in the city, and the stable situated on Lexington avenue. Page 869

William P. Walton, P. O., Brownsville. Is the son of Col. W. P. and Jane T. Walton, and was born in Lafayette county, Missouri, February 22, 1851. His early life was spent in his father’s hotel and at school. In 1864 he went to Texas, and remained there one year. Moved to this county, to the Sweet Springs hotel with his father, in 1869. In 1871, was agent for one year, for the El Paso stage route. In 1872 he went into partnership with his father in the hotel business, in Brownsville; and at this father’s death, in 1875, he purchased his mother’s interest, and became sole proprietor. His mother died in May, 1878. February 25, 1873, he was married to Miss Mary H. Edwards, granddaughter of Col. Green, one of the first settlers of Lafayette county. They have one child, Bettie Guerant. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. The City hotel has a wide reputation, and is the headquarters for commercial men. From 1874 to 1876 he was proprietor of the Sweet Springs hotel. Page 869

George L. Hays, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. Hays, who is a son of Dr. John B. and Mary L. Hays, was born August 14, 1835, in Pike county Missouri, where his early life was spent on a farm, and his education obtained at St. Paul’s College, Palmyra, Missouri, where he graduated in 1857. In 1858 he began the practice of law, in Savannah, Andrew county, Missouri. He remained in Savannah three years, and then, in 1861, he moved to Brownsville, and began the practice of his profession, and now enjoys a large and growing practice. June 1, 1861, he was married to Miss Sarah R. Kerr, of Jacksonville, Illinois. They have four children: George G., Charles L, Mary E., and Catherine. Mr. Hays is a member of the Episcopal Church. Page 869-870

Joseph W. Hall, P. O., Brownsville. Was born October 16, 1807, in Lincoln county, Kentucky, and is the son of John and Rachel Hall, and was raised on his father’s farm. He came to Missouri in 1832, and settled in Saline county, first in Jonesboro, where he remained a couple of years. In 1834 he moved to Tabo Grove, in Lafayette county, where he remained, engaged in selling goods, until 1848. He then returned to this county, and settled on a farm four miles north of Brownsville, where he continued until 1870. September 24, 1835, he was married to Miss Sara C. Yantis, of Lafayette county, sister of Rev. Dr. Yantis. They have five children living: Mary C., William C. Mrs. Maria H. Kenedy, Robert A., and Carrie. In August, 1845, he was elected judge of the Lafayette county court, and served until 1848. In 1870 he moved to Brownsville, where he now resides. He, his wife and daughters are all members of the Old School Presbyterian Church. Page 870

Thomas B. McEntire, P. O., Brownsville. Mr. T. B. McEntire is the son of John P. and Mary A. McEntire, and was born August 25, 1844, in Sullivan county, Missouri, where his early life was spent on a farm. At the age of thirteen he went to Virginia and worked in a machine shop at Grafton, and stayed there two years. (See soldier’s record.) Located as a jeweler in Marshall, Saline county, and stayed there two years. In the fall of 1870 he moved to Brownsville, and established himself there in the jewelry business, and had continued there ever since. He has entire control of the trade in his line. December 6, 1871, he was married to Miss Mollie Wooldridge, of Brownsville. Three children: Walter, Thomas, and Ernman. Mr. McEntire is a member of the I. O. O. F. Page 870

William Hornberger, P. O., Brownsville. Son of William and Mary Hornberger, was born May 5, 1838, in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he spent his early life on a farm. At the age of seventeen he went to milling. In 1869 he came to Missouri and settled in Warrensburg, where he remained several years, having charge of the Eureka mills at that place. In 1872 he moved to Brownsville, and continued five years as one of the milling firm of Land & Co. He then sold out to Mr. Land and went to Dunksburg, where he remained three years as miller. He then returned to Warrensburg, and again took charge of the Eureka mills for one year. Then he returned to Brownsville, and took charge of the mills of Land & Co. In 1860 he was married to Miss Matilda Brugh, of Fulton county, Indiana. One child, Sarah Ann. December 25, 1860, his wife died. December 8, 1861, he was married again, to Miss Amanda McNally, of Fulton county, Indiana. They have five children: Curtis, John, William, Lizzie and Emory Dean. He is a member of the Methodist Church. Page 870-871

D. L. Berry, P. O., Brownsville. D. L. Berry is the son of Tyre H. and Hettie Berry, and was born in Miller county, Missouri, April 7, 1837. His parents moved to Missouri, and settled on a farm near Brownsville, Christmas, 1840, where his early life was spent. December 13, 1858, he was married to Miss Sara E. Prigmore, of Pettis county, granddaughter of Benjamin Prigmore, one of the earliest settlers of Saline county, and daughter of Isaiah Prigmore. They have six children: Mary, John, Frank, Stella, Lennox and Tracy. Mr. Berry was elected constable of Salt Pond township in 1878, and re-elected in 1880. Is a member of the Christian Church. Is a member of A. F. and A. M.; was W. M. of the lodge when chartered, and is W. M. now. A charter member of A. O. U. W. and of I. O. O. F. His father was one of the pioneer preachers of the Hard-side Baptist Church of this county. Page 871

A. J. Tisdale, P. O., Brownsville. Son of William T. and Lydia Tisdale. Was born February 20, 1835, in Christian county, Kentucky. The year after his birth his parents moved to Missouri and settled in Ray county, on a farm, where, at school, the subject of this sketch spent his early life. At the age of fifteen he went to California, and remained in the far west until 1864; was engaged in mining and freighting. In 1864 he returned to Missouri and settled in Dover, Lafayette county, engaged in selling goods, where he continued until 1869, when he moved to Brownsville and started a butcher shop. He is still in the butcher business. He owns an extensive coal mine near Brownsville. He was married December 14, 1865, to Miss Mattie Hunter, of Gallatin, Missouri, and they have six children: Forrest, Robert, Jennie, Victor, Lake and Mark. Is a member of I. O. O. F. and has served on the city board. Page 871

A. S. Rembert, P. O., Brownsville. The son of Alex and Rachel L. Rembert, was born in Murray county, middle Tennessee, May 26, 1841. His parents moved to Missouri in 1855, and settled in Bolivar, Pope county, where he arrived at manhood. Engaged in Bolivar in the tin and stove business, continuing in it for several years. In 1865 he moved to Brownsville and engaged in the same business, including farm implements etc. where he has continued ever since. In the summer of 1864 he was married to Miss Annie D. Briles, of Pettis county, Missouri. They have three children, Lizzie M., Elma E. and Hallie P. Mr. Rembert is one of the strong business men of Brownsville, has a leading trade, and carries a large stock of goods. Page 871

S. J. Johntz, P. O., Brownsville. Is the son of Sam and Susan Johntz, and was born August 29, 1842, in Stark county, Ohio, where his early life was spent on a farm and at school. In 1870 he came to Missouri, and settled at Brownsville, with Thomas Ray, in the business of buying feeding and shipping cattle. The firm have done a heavy business during the last ten years, and still continue to do so. In 1879 he also went into the business of buying and selling mules, with C. L. Collins as partner. They handle large numbers of this gay and festive animal. The firm of Johntz & Ray own stock scales near by, where stock can be weighed at any time. Mr. Johntz expects, during the present summer, to put up business houses on his valuable lots on Main street. Is a member of the I. O. O. F.

Page 871-872

James T. Wood, P. O., Brownsville. Was born near Arrow Rock, in this county, December 14, 1833, where his early life was spent on a farm, and at school. His parents, Charles W. and Sarah H. Wood, came to Saline county, in 1830, and settled near Arrow Rock. He clerked in the store of Jesse McMahan, in Arrow Rock, for some time, and then, in 1852, went to the California gold regions, and remained in the West until 1870, traveling extensively. In 1871 he settled down to business in Brownsville, in this county, and now enjoys a large share of the public patronage. November 1, 1871, he was married to Mrs. S. R. Pollard, of Brownsville. They have two children: Hattie Vest and Charles Pollard. Is a man of sterling integrity and business habits, a brother of Wm. H. Wood, of the firm of Wood & Huston, Marshall, Missouri. He is a member of the K. of P., and member of A. O. U. W., and has served on the school and city boards. Page 872

C. F. Elsner, P. O., Brownsville. Son of J. and D. Elsner, was born November 19, 1857, in Holstein, Germany, and was educated at Nortoif, in Holstein. In 1873 he came to the United States, and settled in Lexington, Missouri. He remained there about one year, engaged in the milling business, and then came to Brownsville; in about a year he went to Montrose and remained about a year. He then returned to Brownsville, and took charge of the mill for Land & Co., and continued so employed until his health failed. He then entered the manufacturing firm of the Wheeler manufacturing company, and was elected secretary of the company. The firm is extensively engaged in the manufacture of harrows, and have a large and growing trade. They expect to build a larger and more commodious house this present summer, and include the manufacture of plows, and wagons, &c. Mr. Elsner was married January 15, 1880, to Miss Mary Ehlers, of Brownsville, Missouri. Is a member of I. O. O. F., and treasurer of his lodge. Page 872

Dr. E. S. West, P. O., Brownsville. Born June 3, 1837, in Palmyra, Marion county, Missouri, and is the son of Corbin and Mary Ann West. Dr. West was educated at Van Rensselaer Academy, Ralls county, Missouri. At the age of eighteen he began teaching and the study of medicine at the same time. He graduated in the medical department of the State University of Iowa, at Keokuk, and in 1859, he began the practice of medicine at Keokuk. In 1860 he returned to Sidney, Ralls county, Missouri, and continued to practice there until 1865, when he moved to Brownsville, in Saline county, and permanently located there, combining his practice with the sale of drugs. His health began to fail some years ago, when he abandoned the practice and turned his attention to speculating in real estate. He devoted much time to the improvement of the Sweet Springs, and is the originator of the "Sweet Springs Improvement Company." He made the first brick and built the first house in Brownsville. In 1871 he built a block of eleven two-story iron front buildings. Was a director in the Lexington Branch of the Missouri Pacific railroad, and owns valuable property both in and near Brownsville. Is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church and of the A. F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F. March 4, 1858, he was married to Miss Dulcina J. Ely, of Ralls county, Missouri. They have had five children, only two now living: Lena and Edwin. Dr. West is a liberal and public-spirited citizen, and has added greatly to the improvement and prosperity of Brownsville and its vicinity. Page 877-878

B. T. Bellamy, P. O., Brownsville. Was born February 14, 1848, in Dover, Lafayette county, Missouri, and was educated in Waverly. Is the son of William and Sarah Bellamy. At the age of twenty-one he entered a dry goods store in Waverly. In 1872 he moved to Brownsville, in Saline county, and engaged in business under the firm name of Chinn & Bellamy, handling boots and shoes. The firm continued three years, and then Bellamy bought out Chinn, and carried on the business for five years. In 1880 he sold out to H. S. Smith, and lost his store building in the fire of January 21, 1881. Mr. Bellamy was secretary of the Sweet Springs Fair Association for two years; is a member of A. F. and A. M., and owns 120 acres of land within a mile of the city. His brother-in-law, John M. Bellamy, was born in Dover, Missouri, September 30, 1845. In 1871 he moved to Brownsville, and entered the general merchandise and grain business. In 1874 he sold his stock to Wood & Laughlin, and devoted his attention entirely to the grain trade, and from November --, 1875, to May, 1876, shipped 1,000,000 bushels of corn. July 14, 1869, he was married to Miss Anna H. Barclay, of Kansas City, and has two children living: William Bradford and Bertie J. Page 873

Wm. D. Carmack, P. O., Brownsville. A son of Joseph and Sarah Carmack, was born July 16, 1821, on a farm in East Tennessee. In 1842, with his parents, he moved to Missouri, and settled on a farm near Brownsville, Saline county. He was married October 4, 1849, to Miss Caroline W. Berry, of Saline county. They have had seven children, only three of whom are now living: Mrs. Emma Cayton, Joseph Franklin, and Sallie. In 1848 he started a carding-machine in Brownsville, which he ran about two years, and then sold out to Asa Pennington, in 1850, and went to California, where he only remained one year, and then returned to Brownsville. For several years after his return he engaged in the manufacture of wagons, carriages, etc. In 1872 he received as partner, Mr. Jacob A. Cayton, and is now the head of the firm of Carmack, Cayton & Co. The firm have an extensive trade. Is a member of A. F. & A. M. His wife was born in 1830, and moved to Saline with her parents in 1837. Page 873-874

J. J. Thom, P. O., Brownsville. Was born April 9, 1843, in Guilford county, North Carolina, and is the son of John R. and Mary J. Thom. His early life was spent on a farm, until the age of seventeen, when he engaged as salesman in a dry goods store. Although but a boy, he served three years, during the war, in the Confederate army. In 1868 he came to Missouri, and settled in Brownsville, in this county, engaging in the drug business, which still claims his attention as junior member of the firm of Vaughn & Thom. On the 10th of May, 1866, he was married to Miss S. G. Coltrane, of Guilford county, North Carolina. They have had seven children, five of them living: Robert K., Mary R., Meta E., Emma B., and Bessie G. Mr. Thom is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and of the A. O. U. W. Vaughn & Thom compose one of the chief drug firms of the city, and are doing a good and thriving business. Page 874

P. D. Vandyke, P. O., Brownsville. Is a son of John H. and Phoebe Vandyke, and was born February 5, 1828, in St. Clair county, Alabama, where he spent most of his early life learning the tanning business with his father, August 12, 1848, he was married to Miss Emily Cothrun, of Cherokee county, Alabama, who died in 1857, leaving two children: Mary and Jennie. In 1859 he married Miss Victoria Goff, grand-daughter of the noted Baptist minister of Ohio, so named. They have five children: Charles, Stella, Maud, Royand Robert. In 1855 Mr. Vandyke moved to Bates county, and engaged there in selling goods until the fall of 1862. He then went to Dresden, in Pettis county, and in 1872 settled in Brownsville, in this county, selling goods for G. H. Hardy, with whom he had been connected for sixteen years, and when he sold out, continued with Mr. Robinson. He is a ruling elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Is a member of A. F. and A. M. Page 874

M. L. Laughlin, P. O., Brownsville. The son of James and Letitia Laughlin, was born in Portage county, Ohio, where he was raised on a farm, and educated at Bethany College, West Virginia. At the age of seventeen years he engaged in teaching and continued it until 1852, when he moved to Brownsville, and continued there his vocation of teaching. May 5, 1853, he was married to Mrs. Mary Waller, daughter of Thomas Farrell, of Lafayette county. Mrs. Waller moved to Brownsville in 1838, and in 1847, kept the first boarding house ever kept in Brownsville. They have no living children. Mrs. Laughlin has three children by her first marriage: Mrs. E. A. Faries, Mrs. M. J. Hicklin, and Mrs. Fannie S. Drumhill. For four years, from 1867 to 1871, he represented Saline county in the legislature, and in the state senate from 1865 to 1867. He, his wife, and her daughters, are members of the Christian Church. He is trustee of Sappington school fund for Salt Pond township. Page 874-875

Benton William Robinson, P. O., Brownsville. Is the son of Gordon and Deborah Robinson, and was born December 3, 1827, in the city of New York, where his early life was spent at school and in a store. In 1837, he came with his parents to Missouri, and settled in St. Louis. In 1848, he moved to Clinton, in Henry county, where he engaged in general merchandise, and remained there until 1862. Then engaged in the same business at Labaddie, Franklin county, and then in 1877, moved to Brownsville, purchased the stock of goods owned by George H. Hardy, and entered into general mercantile business. In the fall of 1866, he was married to Miss Margaret F. North, of Franklin county. They have two children, Mary Louisa and Wilma J. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Church South. Was postmaster at Clinton during his stay in Henry county. Page 875

M. M. Weekly, P. O., Brownsville. Was born November 3, 1831, in Warren county, Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, where his early life was spent on a farm. He is the son of Elijah and Delila Weekly. At the age of twenty he served an apprenticeship as carpenter, and then as cabinet-maker. In October, 1857, he came to Missouri; stayed one winter at Jefferson City, then went to Lafayette county and engaged in business in Dover in 1860. In 1869 he moved to Brownsville, in Saline county, and went into the furniture business. In 1877 he took Mr. D. L. Smith in as partner. September 22, 1859, he was married to Miss Mary J. Mathew, of Lafayette county. They have seven children: Elijah W., Elizabeth D., Alfred L., William H., Edward, Jennie, and Mary M. He is a member of the Baptist Church and of the A. O. U. W. Page 875

That's All Folks

THANKS,Vicki