Search billions of records on

Private ANDREW APPLEGATE (1756-1839)

New Jersey Militia

Andrew Applegate was born February 4th, 1756 in South Amboy Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey. He was named after his father, Andrew Applegate. He is also the great-grandson of Thomas Applegate, the founder of the Applegate Family in America in 1635. Andrew’s first marriage was in 1786 to Lydia Perrine, who was born on May 16th, 1756 and died c1801. She was the daughter of Peter Perrine, and Margaret Dey. Andrew and Lydia had 9 children: John, Andrew, Perrine, Wilson Peter, Margaret, Elijah, Peter A., and William Perrine. After Lydia’s death, Andrew’s second marriage was to Elizabeth Pew on March 13th, 1803. Elizabeth was born October 8th, 1786 and died May 14th, 1869. Andrew and Elizabeth had 8 children: Lydia, Tamsen, Abigail, James Pew, Elizabeth, Fenwick P., Spafford Woodhull, and Gertrude Bodine.

The following is Andrew Applegate’s account of his military service as stated in his Declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed the 7th of June 1832. In the winter of 1776, Andrew Applegate enlisted for service in the Revolutionary War as a Private under the officers of Captain John Pyatt and Colonel Heard of the New Jersey Militia. This company marched to Long Island, in the State of New York, for the purpose of disarming the Tories of that place, this tour of service lasted for 21 days. Shortly after, he served as a Private in the Company commanded by Captain John Pyatt and of the Regiment commanded by Colonel John Duychinck, this unit marched to Amboy, Elizabeth Town, [Powles=hook?], and Bergan at the time the British fleet sailed up to New York ans was out in this tour one month. After this, he went under the same Captain over to Statin Island to take some of the enemies out - guard was out on this tour one month. In the early part of the month of January 1777, he was again called out into service in the company commanded by Captain Peter Perrine, under the command of Colonels Jacob Hyre and John Nelson parts of the time, ans was stationed at the village of Cranberry during the time the British army lay in New Brunswick, and continued there until about the first of June following being relieved parts of the time by other parts of the Militia, and while there was out on numerous scouting parties guarding and protecting the inhabitants from the enemy and numerous excursions of the enemy, whilst they lay at that place, was out on this tour two months and a half. Shortly afterwards, he was again called out under the said Captain Perrine, his brother-in-law, and Colonel Hyre, at the time the British army marched from New Brunswick to Somerset Court House, and marched through Somerset County into a place called Cuystown on Hunterdon County and after laying there sometime was marched to Sourland mountain and from then to Stach gap where part of General Washington’s army lay, and when the enemy retreated from the last mentioned place, was marched to the North of the road leading from New Brunswick to North Amboy, back of Piscataway Town, and continued out on this tour at least one month. In the same year, he was again called out under the same captain under Colonel Neilson, and marched to Trenton, at the time the British army was marching to take Philadelphia, and after laying there some time was marched to Elizabeth Town to guard the shores opposite to Staten Island where the enemy lay at that time, particularly the armed Tories, who make frequent excursions and committed many depredations on the inhabitants of that part of the state, out on this tour one month, then relieved. Shortly after, marched to the same place, and for the purposes, and continued out on the tour one month. After this in the year 1778, at the time the British army creped from Philadelphia into New Jersey previous to the Battle of Monmouth, was again called out under the said Captain Perrine under Colonel William Scudder, and marched to Trenton, the Black=horse, Mount=holly, and other places, and retreated before the enemy to Allentown, and so on from thence in their rear, near to the Battle ground but was not in the Battle, out on this tour about one month. After this, he marched under the same officers to Newark, Springfield, and some other places at the time when Lewis Egbert was killed by the enemy, was out on this tour he thinks one month. He was again called out under the same officers and marched to South Amboy and Cheesequake, guarding the shores from the depredations of the enemy which were very frequent, out on this tour half a month at least. The foregoing are the most material facts that relates to his services during the Revolutionary War, that at this distance of time he can now recollect, and from the best calculation this applicant can now make he verily believes he was out in the service altogether as much as one year at the very least and this applicant further declares that he has no documentary evidence relating to his services excepting the affidavit here unto attached, and he hereby declares that he relinquishes every other claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and also that his name is not on the pension roll of the agency of any state.

Sworn to, and subscribed in Andrew Applegate open court this 22 day of (signature) September 1832 Robert Abehemey, Judge

Andrew Applegate’s Certificate of Pension was issued on June 21, 1833. He received a rate of 35 dollars and 64 cents per annum, commencing on the 4th day of March 1831. Andrew Applegate died October 4, 1839 in Middlesex County, New Jersey. He was buried in Brainard Cemetery, Middlesex County, New Jersey. His grave was marked by his descendants on May 6, 1971 and reported by DAR Tennent Chapter, New Jersey.

On March 22, 1855, Elizabeth Applegate, age sixty nine years, applied for a Bounty Land Claim. [Declaration for widow of a deceased officer of soldier, who has not had a land warrant] She states that she is a resident of Burlington County, New Jersey and is the widow of Andrew Applegate. Elizabeth Applegate received a Bounty Land Grant in Greenup county, Kentucky (north-east corner of Kentucky). It was for 2 parcels of land.

Submitted by: Mrs. Jan Spargo Wenk (#815857)

Sources: Andrew Applegate’s Revolutionary War Records;; Descendants of Thomas Applegate; The Applegate Family, by Mr. Hugh E. Voress, P.O. Box 857, Charles Town, WV 25414 ; Compiled Records of the Middlesex County New Jersey Militia 1791-1795, includes a roster of 1775-1783, by Russel K. Dutcher III. Office of the Historian General, NSDAR Kentucky Land Grants, on


HENRY ARNOT / ARNETT (1761-1847)

Henry Arnot was born in Orange County, New Jersey, on March 12, 1761. His parents were William and Elizabeth Arnot.

Henry's pension record tells his story: "Henry enlisted in the Revolutionary War the year after the Battle of Bunker's Hill, which was in July 1776, in the County of Sussex in the State of New Jersey under Captain John Weasner commanded by Major Logan and Colonel Nichols for a five month tour and was discharged at Peckskill in the State of New York. During the tour he was marched from Sussex to New Windsor on the Hudson River. The troops took water and went to West Point and from there to Kings Bridge above New York and then on to White Plains and Peckskill where he was discharged. He was in no general engagement but was in a skirmish in a place called Morristown in New York, near a place called Hillgate. After getting discharged he took the paper home to his father since he was only 14 years of age. He served one month in the room of his father who was drafted in the militia from the County of Sussex, New Jersey, commanded by Lt. Erskine at Paramus about New York. During this tour he was not in any battle. Afterwards he served as a substitute for James Ellis of the County of Sussex,New Jersey, for one month and was commanded by Lieutenant Arnett, Colonel Sewards and General Wends. He was marched from Sussex to New Windsor on the Hudson River, then to Morristown, Princeton and Woodberry in Jersey, where he was discharged. During this tour he was not in any battle. In 1783, the last year of the war, he substituted. The militia was classed and one of the classes hired him for three months in the County of Orange, State of New York. He served with Captain Gordon, Major Logan and Colonel Wisenfelt and was marched to West Point, Fort Albany, Johnstown, Saratoga and then to Albany where he was discharged at the time peace was made." Henry received a pension for his military service in Monroe County, Virginia, in 1832.

Henry married Elizabeth Truesdale on August 15, 1780, in Sussex County, New Jersey, and they moved to Monroe County, Virginia, in 1832. They had the following children: Elizabeth (m. Matthew Wood), Martha (m. Charles Neal), Deborah (m. Walter Neal), William (m/1Mary Garten and 2/Lucinda Handley), Henry (m. Mary Phillips), Sarah (m. Joseph Baker) and Alameda (m. Levi Canterbury). Henry died May 26, 1847, and Elizabeth died December 30, 1840, both in Monroe County, Virginia/West Virginia. They are buried in the Mt. Hedding Cemetery, Lillydale, Monroe County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Sandra Ball Comer, Eldon Chapter NSDAR


ROBERT CHAMBERS (1756- 1836)

Robert Chambers was born September 15, 1756, in England and came to New York as a stowaway on a ship in 1766. According to the book A Brief Authenticated History of the Chambers Family of Virginia and West Virginia, a merchant from Monroe County, Virginia, went to New York to buy goods and found Robert wandering the streets and took him to Monroe County.

Robert enlisted in the Revolutionary War in Augusta County, Virginia, on August 2, 1777, and served in Captain Robert Higgins Company, 8th Virginia Regiment, also designated 4th, 8th and 12th Virginia Regiments, commanded successively by Colonel Abraham Bowman, Colonel James Wood and Colonel John Neville. He was appointed Sergeant on July 25, 1779. His muster rolls include being at Brunswick, Trenton, Brandywine, Germantown, White Marsh, White Plains, Middle Brook, Haverstraw, Morristown, Valley Forge, Stony Point and Charleston, South Carolina, where is was captured by the British and held in a prison ship for 14 months until he was freed during a prisoner exchange in 1781.

He returned to Monroe County, Virginia, and married Hannah Doran in 1781 in Montgomery County, Virginia. They had the following children: Jacob (m. Sarah Smith), William (unknown), James (m. Elizabeth Cole), Richard (m. Mary Garred), Katharine (m. Robert Curry, Jr.), Anna (m. Snow Ballard), Robert, Jr. (Unknown) and Jack (m. Nancy White). Robert received 200 acres as bounty land in on June 24, 1784. He was granted a pension on December 18, 1818, with a second certificate issued in 1832. Robert died on September 23, 1836, and Hannah died on March 13, 1831, and both are buried in the Chambers Cemetery, near Lindside, Monroe County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Sandra Ball Comer, Eldon Chapter NSDAR


AUGUSTINE COMER (1757 - 1824)

Augustine (Augustus) Comer, son of Michael and Catherine Comer, was born ca 1757 on the Rapidan River in Virginia. His grandfather Christopher Comer (Christstofel Gomer) came to America from the Palatinate District along the Rhine River in Germany arriving in Philadelphia on the Snow Molly on September 10, 1737 and settled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia by 1745.

Augustine enlisted in the Revolutionary War in Shenandoah County, Virginia, on Easter Monday in 1776 and served four and one-half years under Captain Langley, 12th VA Regiment, Continental Establishment, Colonel Neville and General Scott. His military records mention the battles in which he participated, among them were Trenton, Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, Stony Point and Charleston, SC. He was also at the Valley Forge encampment for five months and at Camps Haverstraw, White Plains and Middlebrook. Augustine was an artilleryman in Washington's army. One night while the Americans were in camp on Assanpink Creek at Trenton, New Jersey, Comer was placed on guard duty with orders to hail any strange person three times and then fire unless answered. An officer who thought he would have some fun with Comer and stampede him got down on the brink of the creek and threw up firebrands. The sentinel was alarmed but obeyed his orders and then fired, wounding the officer. Comer was placed under arrest, but exonerated by Washington, who complimented him for his faithfulness. He was with General Anthony Wayne when he got his nickname "Mad" Anthony Wayne by leading the capture of Stony Point, which is a rocky, narrow-necked peninsula jutting out in the Hudson River above New York City, with a marsh on one side that was impassable except at the lowest tide and water on the other side. It was heavily fortified by the British and it completely controlled the Hudson River. All the men unloaded their muskets and fixed their bayonets. Each one pinned a piece of white cloth on the back of his uniform so that he could be seen by the man behind him. They reached Stoney Point without being seen and silently climbed over the walls and before the British knew what was going on they were swarming all over using their bayonets. The fight was short and the British surrendered. According to his pension records, Augustine was discharged at Charleston, South Carolina, after having faithfully served out his time and carried his discharge paper with him but lost it in the woods while fighting the Tories. He was taken prisoner by the British and was kept for about two months before making his escape. He then volunteered to serve in General Francis Marion's Light Horse and General Sumpter's Light Horse units, under General Greene.

After the war he married Catharine/Catreen Rush (Rousch) on April 23, 1782, Shenandoah Valley, Virginia. In 1788 they moved to Monroe County, Virginia. They had 10 children, namely, Elizabeth (m. Daniel Miller), Frederick (m. Polly Mitchell), Jacob (m. Anna Meadows), Catharine (m. Joseph Ball), Barbara (single), Michael (m. Elizabeth Lucy Willis), Augustus (m. Sarah Fore), Sarah/Sally (m. John Peters), and John Henry (m. Mary Jane Mitchell). Comer died July 23, 1824, and is buried in the Cummins Cemetery in Monroe County, West Virginia. Catharine received a widow's pension and died on April 11, 1841, at her son Jacob's home in Mercer County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Sandra Ball Comer, Eldon Chapter NSDAR


JOHN HANDLEY (1746- 1811)

John Handley was born in 1746 in Augusta County, Virginia. He was the son of William and Margaret Handley. His father was part of the Scotch-Irish emigration to America in about 1740 to Pennsylvania, then to Augusta County, Virginia, and settled in Botetourt County, Virginia , in 1746.

He married Mary Harrison in 1768, and they had the following children: William (m. Margaret Henderson), Margaret (m. Samuel Clark), Samuel (m. Sarah Ann Walker Harmon), John (m. Prossie Elder), Archibald (m. Susan Kincaid), James (m. Polly/Mary Burke), Sarah (m. Humphrey Keyes), Nancy (m. Thomas Akins), Alexander (unknown), Elizabeth (m. Andrew Walker) and Isaac (m. Kate Wylie). John purchased land on Indian Creek in Monroe County, Virginia, with his brother Archibald in 1774. His home in Monroe County was Handley's Fort. This was not a government fort, but a fortified house, where his family lived and the neighbors gathered for a place of safety during Indian alarms.

John is listed as a private in the 1774 list of Captain John Lewis's Company of Volunteers in the Botetourt County, Virginia, Regiment in Lord Dunmore's War, which was engaged in the Battle of Point Pleasant, the most desperate struggle ever waged between white men and the Indians in America. John enlisted in the Revolutionary War in Greenbrier County, Virginia. He served as a lieutenant in the company of Captain John Vartress, Jefferson County, Virginia, under the command of General George Rogers Clark in the Illinois Campaign.

He was also a juror and overseer of roads. John died January 3, 1811, and is buried in the Green Hill Cemetery at Union, Monroe County, West Virginia. His wife Mary was killed on December 4, 1829, by a team of runaway oxen that she tried to stop and drive into the barnyard gate. She is buried in the Guyandotte Cemetery in Huntington, Cabell County, West Virginia.

Submitted by Sandra Ball Comer, Eldon Chapter NSDAR


JOSEPH WORKMAN (1736 - 1815)

Joseph Workman was born 1736 in Somerset County, New Jersey. He is the son of Isaac and Phoebe Ragel Workman.

The Workman (Woertman) family immigrated to America from Amsterdam about 1647 and is listed in the Register of Early Settlers of Kings County, Long Island, New York.

 Joseph and Phoebe McRay were married on August 4, 1761, in York County, Pennsylvania. They had the following children: Abraham (m. Margaret Lightner), James (m. Nancy Hewett), Nimrod (unknown), Anne (m. Samuel Muncy), Joseph (m/1 Hannah Reed and /2 Elizabeth Reed), Thomas (m. Sarah Deskins), Jacob (m. Eleanor Jones), Moses (m. 1/Elizabeth Munch and 2/Sarah Marrs), Isaac (m. Susan Sullivant) and Phoebe (m. Isaac Roberts).

During the American Revolution, Joseph resided in Washington County, Maryland, and signed an Oath of Fidelity to the State of Maryland. Joseph died about 1815 and Phoebe died after 1815, both in Tazewell County, Virginia.

Submitted by Sandra Ball Comer, Eldon Chapter NSDAR