Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888


A B C D E F G H K L M P R S T W Y




Julius Albrecht

Julius Albrecht, a prominent framer of Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born in Hesse-Cassel, Germany, in 1843. His parents, George and Mary (Mogg) Albrecht, were born and reared in a village near the birth-place of Julius. The father was born in 1803 and the mother in 1807. George Albrecht was a baker by trade, which he followed until 1850, when he with his family came to the United States. On June 1 they landed in Baltimore, from whence they went to Greene County, Ohio, where they remained four years engaged in agricultural pursuits, after which they went to Iowa. Soon after they came down the Mississippi River to Southeast Missouri, and located in Scott County. There, George Albrecht purchased a farm lying near the river. This was in the spring of 1855, and he remained there until his death in 1866. His widow survived until 1877. They had five children - four boys and one girl - all dead but the subject of this sketch. Louisa was married, and died leaving three children, two of whom are living. Soon after the death of his parent's Julius began work for himself. During the Civil War he served in the State Militia, and after the war was over resumed work on the farm. He first married Catherine Roth, a native of Germany, who came with her parents to America in 1854, when she was three years of age. By this union Mr. Albrecht has seven children: Anna, Julia, Eliza, John, Mary, Amelia and Lewis. In religious faith the family are Lutherans, of which church Mr. Albrecht has been a member since a child, has been treasurer and trustee for two years, and has also served as elder for two years. He is a self-made man, and has a liberal education, being well informed on all general topics.


James M. Allen

Rev. James M. Allen was born in New Madrid County, Mo., January 16, 1851, and is a son of David C. and Angeline (Strong) Allen, the former a native of Louisiana and the latter of Tennessee. The parents came to Missouri at an early day, and entered land in Scott County, which, after a few years, they sold, and removed to New Madrid County, locating near Sikeston. They resided there until Mr. Allen's death, in 1856. He was the father of five children: James M., Samuel M., Martha (Mrs. J.B. Burton), Cyrus J. (deceased) and Benjamin (deceased). Mrs. Allen was married three times, and had children by each husband. She died in August, 1885. Rev. James M. Allen has always been engaged in farming, but in 1887 he engaged in the mercantile business, which he still manages in connection with farming. In 1882 he began studying for the ministry, and was ordained a minister in the Missionary Baptist Church in 1885. He has since been preaching the gospel at different points, and has been instrumental in building several churches in Southeast Missouri. Although he has been preaching but a short time, he has done much good for the cause of religion. In 1870 he was united in marriage with Sarah E. Holmes, by whom he had four children, one of whom is living: William D. His wife died in 1878, and he was again married, in 1879, choosing for his second wife Maggie Martin. This union has been blessed by two children (twins), one of whom, George M., is living. The one deceased is Samuel. Mrs. Martin had five children by a former marriage: Katie (deceased), Lila, Bettie, Alvan and Thomas. Mr. Allen is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the Agricultural Wheel.


James B. Ancell

James B. Ancell, a substantial farmer residing on a fine hill-farm of 240 acres, near Kelso, Mo., was born in Kentucky, in 1813. He is the son of Henry and Nancy (Beesley) Ancell, who were born and reared in Virginia. Several years after his marriage Hanry Ancell removed his family in wagons to Kentucky, where he resided, working at the brick mason's trade, until his death, which occurred when the subject of this sketch was a small boy. Besides the latter, there were six children: Washington, Thornton, Pascal E., John, Henry and Harriet, all of whom are dead. James B. came to Southeast Missouri in 1830, from Todd County, Ky., and located on land which he entered from the Government, near his present home. He afterward entered the farm on which he now resides. Here his mother died in 1856. In 1859 he married Frances Adaline Clark, a native of Cape Girardeau County, born in 1825, and a daughter of John and Sarah Clark, natives of Kentucky, who came to Missouri before their marriage and located in Cape Girardeau County. After their marriage they still remained in Cape Girardeau County, and reared a large family, consisting of ten girls and one boy. The girls all lived to maturity and married. Mr. and Mrs. Ancell are the parents of five children: Emma (wife of Walter Goddard), Sarah M. (wife of S. McFerron), Mary J. (at home), James P. and Mattie J. (both also at home). Mr. Ancell, his wife and two children are devoted members of the Baptist Church. Emma belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


John Harvey Ancell

John Harvey Ancell, a farmer of Kelso Township, Scott Co., Mo., was born where he now resides in 1835, and is a son of Thornton W. and Elvira (Wright) Ancell, natives of Virginia. They were married in Kentucky, where they resided until about 1830, when they came to Missouri and located in Cape Girardeau County. Remaining there one year they removed to Scott County and located on a farm near the Rock Church, in Kelso Township, where they died, the father in April 1887, aged eighty-two years, and the mother some time previously. To them were born eight children - four boys and four girls - of whom four are living: Thornton A., Parthenia (wife of James Powell), Mildred (wife of John McKinley, residing on a part of the Ancell homestead) and James Harvey. Those dead are: Leander, John, Georgia Ann and Nancy. Georgia Ann was the wife of Edward Joyce, of Cape Girardeau. Thornton W. Ancell first married Miss Williams, who died previous to his second marriage. James H. Ancell remained with his parents until 1868, when he was united in marriage with Mrs. Emiline (Baldwin) Wiley, the widow of Wilson Wiley, by whom she has two children: Edward and Albert, living near Commerce and Sikeston, respectively. Mrs. Ancell was born in July 1835. Her first husband died in 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Ancell are the parents of four children: Mary E. (who lives with her step-brother near Commerce), Naomi, Ada and Alice. Mr. Ancell is a successful farmer, and also a member of the Wheel.